Author Topic: STRANGER OF PARADISE FINAL FANTASY ORIGIN vs. Eldest Ring  (Read 4223 times)

Bebpo

Re: STRANGER OF PARADISE FINAL FANTASY ORIGIN vs. Eldest Ring
« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2022, 03:17:36 AM »
FYI for anyone thinking of the PC version (which is exclusive to Epic store):

https://twitter.com/StickmanSham/status/1504025128132300804

I was gonna wait for PC version, but after turning HDR off (because it's broken) and resolution mode on PS5 which holds mosssstly 60fps with dips, it looked fine (like a PS3 game) and performance was no Elden Ring and was pretty much fine so I just jumped in and got it on PS5 to nab the pre-order weapons. Looks like it was the right choice haha.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2022, 07:39:17 AM »
Expecting the price on this to drop really quick.  Will maybe check it out then or just look at Youtube clips of all the stupid dialogue. 

:jeb
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2022, 02:16:49 PM »
Expecting the price on this to drop really quick.  Will maybe check it out then or just look at Youtube clips of all the stupid dialogue. 

:jeb

I think you'd like it. You like Devil May Cry, right? Plays like a PS2/PS3 DMC-lite with a bit of souls and a bit of musou.

Beezy

« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2022, 09:23:17 AM »
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1504807136152285186

Haven't seen any other deals or platform comparisons.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2022, 07:52:18 AM »
Played the demo a bit.

This game, wow  :doge

Biggest letdown for me is the image quality, it looks so blurry.
Hopefully they'll manage to fix that. Everything else is broken too but in a good way and I like the gameplay loop.

All the angst :rejoice
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2022, 02:15:47 PM »
Played the demo a bit.

This game, wow  :doge

Biggest letdown for me is the image quality, it looks so blurry.
Hopefully they'll manage to fix that. Everything else is broken too but in a good way and I like the gameplay loop.

All the angst :rejoice

Turn off HDR and play in resolution mode.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2022, 02:21:07 PM »
How do you fuck up HDR in this day and age :oreilly

(I'm holding off on playing the demo cos I know I will cave and buy it and I really don't need another game atm given all the shit I still have to beat)
(ice)

Bebpo

« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2022, 01:54:03 AM »

Bebpo

« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2022, 01:57:35 AM »

Difficulty's starting to pick up at Stage 4. Was running on hard because normal feels like easy mode DMC, but had to drop down to normal on stage 4 because getting 1-2 shotted. Liking the level design. Feels like the one Souls bit. Stage 3 in the Western Keep has a nice design.

The combat is great and a lot of fun. Boss fights if you don't cheese them with your AI buddies are good fights full of learning patterns, dodging and parrying. My only real complaint about the combat is you don't have invuln period when you get knocked down so enemies/bosses can occasionally knock you down and then kill you with a 2nd hit before you can get up which feels cheap to me. Otherwise combat is good and fair.

So far having a lot of fun with this. Oh yeah and resolution mode was keeping pretty close to 60fps until Stage 4. Once the weather effects kick in the framerate dies haha. So jank.

Bebpo

« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2022, 07:29:55 PM »
This game is legit good. The combat is really solid. Lots of mechanics to juggle but tons of build variety with the different FF jobs.

Running Knight mostly right now as I head to unlocking Paladin. With Knight I'm buffing my shield so it reflects a % of damage on block, so instead of parrying, blocking attack strings and then countering in with slashes and dodging unblockable attacks. Pretty fun. Need to start leveling some of the other jobs I have though as I'm sure there's some real good skills I'm missing out on.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2022, 09:31:43 PM »
Its going to be funny when I find out I like this and not Elden Ring(which after my time with it I can say I dont).

Bebpo

« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2022, 10:06:29 PM »
Its going to be funny when I find out I like this and not Elden Ring(which after my time with it I can say I dont).

Maybe?

Fwiw, I hear if you can get past the style of JACK, that the story is actually good and comes together well in the end like a legit FF/KH crazy Nojima game. Nojima is my favorite plot writer at SE so I'm enjoying the weirdness and mystery.

Also the cutscenes don't jump around in the real game to the degree they do in the weird intro. It's pretty easy to follow after that.

And this is the first jrpg where the JP audio is available but I'm playing in English because the JP cast are not in on the joke while the ENG cast is.

The Japanese language is too polite to fully express Jack.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 11:04:34 PM by Bebpo »

Rahxephon91

« Reply #72 on: March 20, 2022, 11:49:57 PM »
Already sounds like a better time to me.

Bebpo

« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2022, 03:23:24 AM »
So this game's actually pretty hard lol

Going to try to keep my pride and make it through the whole thing without dipping into easy mode. Even if it means fighting bosses like a dozen times over and over until I get past them.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2022, 10:05:59 AM »
I thought this game would be easy after Elden Ring, but then I got bodied by Garland. Where's my broken Bleed weapons? I have to dodge now?? 😭
©@©™

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2022, 10:46:06 AM »
This game has full story co-op you could just wait and let me do it
fat

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2022, 11:24:57 AM »
I only played the first level.
©@©™

Bebpo

« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2022, 04:52:07 PM »
lol, wait until you get to Tiamat.

This game is good stuff. Bosses much more DMC technical than Souls. Game will really get your character action parry/block/dodges/pokes skills back. Though if you google there tends to be some cheese tactics for each jobs given the amount of job variety. Always some skill in there that destroys a boss. I like looking up the boss after I beat it and see all the ways.

Like for Tiamat, if you want to cheese there are:

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Lancer lance throws at Tiamat heads will wreck them
Void Knight has an absorb ability that if you use on tri-darkness in phase 2 and then fire it back it'll one-shot the phase 2 of the boss.
[close]

I'm finding it a lot easier to play ranged than melee doing bosses normally. Just hang back and parry/dodge/block each attack and fire off a spell when you can. It's slow and takes a while but if you get all the attacks down can do it without taking too much damage. At melee range I always find myself locked into a slash animation when the boss starts a new move and I get hit. If you could soul shield instantly out of melee attack animations it'd be so much better. With range you have less of an issue with this outside when you start a spell and then the boss jumps on you while you're in the spell animation.

Bebpo

« Reply #78 on: March 26, 2022, 06:59:01 PM »
BEAT IT.

Gonna grab lunch then will write up some thoughts. Was great. Hard, but great. Final boss took me an hour but almost no-damaged it by the time I was done.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #79 on: May 07, 2022, 09:10:04 PM »
Played through this. Kind of thought it was shit.

I mean it was fun at first and yeah it's really not a Souls like. The game sure does offer lots of options and neat ways to mix and match jobs. The jobs also have cool things that set them apart. But maybe a little too much for my pea brain as I lost interest trying to figure out what abilities were best to slot in for your R2 combo stuff.

But in the end, I grew very tired of the game. The story did go off the rails and was funny, but I just didn't really enjoy it. Just feel like insanity for the sake of it and the end it stopped being fun or funny.

I also don't know what the fuck Team Ninja thinks loot is supposed to be. My eyes glazed over with all the loot you get, making me want to not engage with this system.

But most importantly the enemy variety and level design is just simply garbage. Like jesus could I not believe I was playing a game with such cheap level design on my PS5. Gives Tales a run for the money in copy and paste box room level design. I'm not even sure how I got through the game as I just felt like I was wondering around levels that looked the same with no implication that a human actually cared and made them.

I don't know, not a game I'd recomend to anyone.

Bebpo

« Reply #80 on: May 08, 2022, 12:23:32 AM »
:(

Sorry it didn't click with you.

I thought the level design was...fine? It felt like a jrpg dungeon design. Like the FFXV stage or the FF7 stage. The enemies were good? Patterns to learn, fun to fight. Bosses were almost all great.

The loot is trash I agree 100%, but otherwise I disagree and for my personal tastes I had fun the whole time and not just for the lulz. I think it's legit a very good good action game.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #81 on: May 08, 2022, 03:26:52 AM »
Possibly spoilers, I think ?
ὕβρις

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #82 on: May 08, 2022, 11:26:19 AM »
Game rules, catch this L+Ratio
fat

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #83 on: May 08, 2022, 03:44:20 PM »
I liked the demo but it didn't run very well so I'm waiting for this to release on GamePass or get way cheaper.

Overall to me it seems like Platinum Games should've made it as opposed to Team Ninja as it fits their brand of well, weird shit.
On the other hand it's been a while since Bayo 2 and Rising so who knows if they can still make great games like that.
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #84 on: May 08, 2022, 04:15:08 PM »
Eh, considering this is a much better game than Babylon's Fall...

Also TN made Nioh 1/2 and NG so this fits their brand even if it's more action than Nioh.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #85 on: May 08, 2022, 05:00:20 PM »
Eh, considering this is a much better game than Babylon's Fall...

Also TN made Nioh 1/2 and NG so this fits their brand even if it's more action than Nioh.
That's funny you mention Babylon's Fall. Because I think Team Ninja would've made a better GaaS game than Platinum Games.
Square Enix should've swapped the devs of the projects.  :thinking
🤴

Tycoon Padre

« Reply #86 on: May 10, 2022, 06:38:13 AM »
I've beaten this twice now after getting bored on my first two Elden Ring starts and switching, please call a doctor I think something is wrong

paprikastaude

« Reply #87 on: May 11, 2022, 05:54:09 AM »
Now upgrade to Nioh 2  :esports

Svejk

« Reply #88 on: May 11, 2022, 10:15:34 AM »
Now upgrade to Nioh 2  :esports
Is the first recommended to play through before this, or would it be ok to jump straight to Nioh 2?

paprikastaude

« Reply #89 on: May 11, 2022, 11:36:55 AM »
It's more fun than 1, but there's quite a lot of new mechanics build on top off an already big arsenal of mechanics in 1. I imagine you'd have a harder time without some of the first game's mechanics in your muscle memory.

Svejk

« Reply #90 on: May 11, 2022, 01:13:40 PM »
It's more fun than 1, but there's quite a lot of new mechanics build on top off an already big arsenal of mechanics in 1. I imagine you'd have a harder time without some of the first game's mechanics in your muscle memory.
Word.  I do have the first one, so I'm likely to jump on it after ER.