Author Topic: No Mans Sky: Really quite good now  (Read 946 times)

Kurt Russell

No Mans Sky: Really quite good now
« on: May 31, 2022, 05:39:57 AM »
I noticed that there doesn't seem to be a NMS thread. Either that or I not search so good.

I played the game at launch and very rapidly got bored to death. Recently revisited the game and it's a completely transformed experience - the expedition system really gives the game a sense of purpose.

For the next six weeks, you can play expedition 7 - https://www.nomanssky.com/2022/05/expedition-seven-leviathan/

Our seventh expedition traps Travellers inside a time loop, and offers a taste of roguelike gameplay. Difficulty is tuned to survival-mode settings, and every death means a reset of the loop.

As players explore the loop, they will recover Memory Fragments, lost remnants of previous loops. These manifest as procedurally generated technology, meaning each reset of the loop may play out very differently.

The more Travellers that participate in the research, the stronger the Memory Fragments become, manifesting in better upgrades, more inventory space, and stronger Multi-Tools and starships.

You can currently pick the PS4 version of the game up for $15 on ebay, which includes free VR and PS5 versions. An absolute bargain for what the game has become.

Anybody else playing through the expedition currently?

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Obligatory:

[close]
woke

MMaRsu

• Administrator
Re: No Mans Sky: Really quite good now
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2022, 08:36:55 AM »
I tried it awhile ago. The gameplay is still boring cause all you do is shoot rocks with your laser
What

Kurt Russell

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2022, 10:14:13 AM »
I tried it awhile ago. The gameplay is still boring cause all you do is shoot rocks with your laser

There's still a hefty amount of that in the open world version, but the expeditions have different gameplay loops. Expedition 7 is more heavy survival based to the point where I had to explore an abandoned freighter last night and get to various checkpoints before I froze to death, in near pitch black around ship security systems and avoiding nasties. There's still elements of harvesting in the game, but it really is evolving.
woke

Svejk

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2022, 12:22:16 PM »
Playing in VR is the real deal for this game... But yeah, it can get boring and tedious pretty quick.

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2022, 12:31:10 PM »
I noticed that there doesn't seem to be a NMS thread. Either that or I not search so good.
:steiner

http://www.thebore.com/forum/index.php?topic=44383.0

It's just old af and people stopped posting in it.

Bebpo

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2022, 04:22:23 PM »
I wish I could get into NMS, but I just do not enjoy the survival crafting genre. I played NMS in VR for a few hours on Game Pass and I liked some stuff but ended up bailing.

I think for me it goes back to playing Red Alert and Warcraft as a kid. I never liked base building and collecting resources, just the strategy combat side of using units. Resource collecting/building Just felt boring and like work. Survival crafting games just feel like entire games built around that.

I wonder if there are any NMS mods that remove the resource/crafting aspect and make it more of a space adventure.

Oddly enough I've liked one survival crafting game in my entire gaming years and it was Don't Starve. I don't know why, but I found it pretty fun and addictive and put real time in. I think it was the rogue aspect.

Hamarr

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2022, 11:56:58 PM »
I played some a couple of weeks back. I did whatever they call their season play, and it seemed about the same stuff as before.  Is there a point where it starts to get more fun?  I get enough stuff to get off of the planet and then usually get bored once the game is landing on another planet and scanning/shooting more stuff. I want to like this, but there's something that's not clicking for me. I do love the look of the game.

I probably want to play something more like Journey to the Savage Planet.

Kurt Russell

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2022, 09:26:31 AM »
I played some a couple of weeks back. I did whatever they call their season play, and it seemed about the same stuff as before.  Is there a point where it starts to get more fun?  I get enough stuff to get off of the planet and then usually get bored once the game is landing on another planet and scanning/shooting more stuff. I want to like this, but there's something that's not clicking for me. I do love the look of the game.

I probably want to play something more like Journey to the Savage Planet.

I'll be honest, Expedition 7 is like a whole new game. I've sunk more time into it than I have my main (normal mode) save.

Without trying to spoil it too much, you essentially have to achieve a series of harder and harder milestones. If you die, you lose everything except critical elements. So you literally start from zero again - stranded on a super hostile planet, with about 20 seconds to find your ship. There's a story thread wrapped around it about how you're stuck in a time loop and every time you die, you enter the next iteration.

The whole thing is about iterating and attempting to reach the end of the trail without dying and the semi-perma death aspect alongside the focused objectives (so you're not just walking around a planet shooting rocks) has really changed the complexion of this game. In addition, the drops you get along the way are entirely RNG, which gives everything a roguelike feel.

I realise I sound like the NMS defense force here, but I am fairly new to the game and to tell the truth, I was getting a bit bored with normal mode before this expedition came along. It really raises the stakes.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 09:37:22 AM by Kurt Russell »
woke

Hamarr

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2022, 02:19:34 PM »
I tried it out some last night. I ended up dying pretty quickly a few times.  This is the first time I have had someone's ship right next to mine so we were competing over all of the needed resources. Finding oxygen is a going to be tough. This is definitely more interesting than the last expedition that I tried. Not sure how much I will play but I do like the added tension of trying to keep safe while supplies are being depleted forcing you get out and collect.

Kurt Russell

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2022, 06:33:44 AM »
Remember you can use life support gel instead of oxygen. So you just need metal and dihydro to craft those. That can keep you alive for a short while.

Also - make sure you're receiving your memories from the expedition menu.... when you open those you get S class mods and key resources that help you (so one of those memories you unpack will give you 5 life support gels right off the back).

You'll definitely have one of these to claim, because one of the first objectives is to die once.
woke

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2022, 12:38:39 PM »
I'll try to fit the new expedition in this weekend.

My main account has over 400 hours on it but whenever I jump on I don't have a lot of goals left. I have several big bases, a badass S class fighter with max slots and a freighter full of extra ships I don't use.  I completed the living ship quest, I've made it to the center of the first galaxy, I feel like I've gotten most of what I can out of the game. I'm glad they did the Mass Effect tie-in last year. Whenever I warp into a new system on a freighter, seeing the Normandy warp next to me hits me right in the feels.

:tocry