Author Topic: No Man's Sky: Peter Molyneux Edition  (Read 34364 times)

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
No Man's Sky: Peter Molyneux Edition
« on: August 08, 2016, 07:13:43 PM »

What the hell is this?-
  • No Man’s Sky is a game about exploration and survival in an infinite procedurally generated galaxy, coming to PS4 on August 9th in North America and August 10th in Europe, and on PC worldwide on August 12th

What do you do?-
Trailers-

What about all the drama and console war wankery surrounding this game?-

« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 09:06:55 AM by bork pls »

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
Re: No Man's Sky is actually coming out
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 07:23:55 PM »
Combine Destiny's inventory and quest system with a Minecraft seed generator and you have a game that doesn't cost $60.

If this was a $20 game, I don't think it would deserve shit talk. But for a $60 game...
:kobeyuck

OH!

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 07:30:54 PM »
This has always looked like a better idea than an actual game. I expect it to be boring to play, unless you're a certain kind of special fellow.
yar

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 07:47:05 PM »
This has always looked like a better idea than an actual game. I expect it to be boring to play, unless you're a certain kind of special fellow.

I want to have a reason to buy a PS4. I want this to be it. I'm not expecting much though.
YMMV

Let's Cyber

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 07:59:45 PM »
Well I did put over 500 hours into Bubsy 3D

:ryker

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 08:15:22 PM »
Maybe with a few more major patches and a sharp reduction in price I'll get it, but definitely not anytime soon.
dog

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 08:29:19 PM »

Pussy, I've put over 2.5k hours into Diablo 3
yar

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2016, 08:33:30 PM »
looked like ubi style gameplay minus actual missions

i like wandering around neat 3d areas tho so I'll prolly get this in five years when it's under $10
pcp

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2016, 09:02:26 PM »

I've put like 159 hours into world of tanks. I ain't proud of it.
YMMV

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 01:06:33 AM »

Damn, I thought my 800-1,500 hours in Battlefield: Bad Company 2 was bad. :doge

spoiler (click to show/hide)
That game though. :preach :rejoice
[close]

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2016, 09:38:58 AM »
Every video I see of this game shows planets with shit on them and with this robot cops everywhere. Are there even places that are truly desolate? Like fucking barren of all life?

nat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2016, 10:12:40 AM »
No Man Sky is finally out. Can we shut the fuck up about it finally? Will stage presence finally be dedicated to OTHER games for once at shows?

Tune in to find out
fat

archie4208

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2016, 10:13:53 AM »
Sony will announce No Man's Sky DLC at E3 2017.  :^)

Freyj

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2016, 10:31:26 AM »
I'm so :larry about this game.

I've seen a lot people say 3D Starbound and I'm kind of onboard with that at first thought, but then I see someone play it and it's just...not nearly as captivating as that sounds.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2016, 11:22:10 AM »
I'm so :larry about this game.

I've seen a lot people say 3D Starbound and I'm kind of onboard with that at first thought, but then I see someone play it and it's just...not nearly as captivating as that sounds.

There is something fun about Terraria style games that seems a ton less fun when I watch people play this game. Can't quite put my finger on why.

The premise has always seemed great but its like distilled it into the most boring form possible.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2016, 11:26:36 AM »
Terraria and Starbound let you shape the world, no? Terraria even has dungeons to explore.

No Man's Sky will have base building eventually, but it's probably going to be snapped together from pre-fabs the way Fallout 4 is.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2016, 12:03:12 PM »
It's not at all what people thought. It's shitty destiny with shitty minecraft my buddy says. I mean I like the go at your own pace exploration and the size of the universe but I hear it's full of OP robocops and OP pirates.
YMMV

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2016, 12:52:12 PM »
I was a bit hyped for this when they first showed it at E3 2014(?), but since then lost all interest.  It looks like a boring game and more of a tech demo.
ど助平

Let's Cyber

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2016, 02:54:25 PM »
Every video I see of this game shows planets with shit on them and with this robot cops everywhere. Are there even places that are truly desolate? Like fucking barren of all life?
I'm on a low atmosphere moon with zero flora or fauna.  I haven't run into any sentinels (robot cops) here. There are occasional outposts that might have an intelligent race to trade with but other than that it is a dead rock.

There are definitely more desolate planets and moons, just not sure how numerous they are.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2016, 04:01:31 PM »
I'm on a low atmosphere moon with zero flora or fauna.  I haven't run into any sentinels (robot cops) here. There are occasional outposts that might have an intelligent race to trade with but other than that it is a dead rock.

There are definitely more desolate planets and moons, just not sure how numerous they are.

Oh so you mean it's like the real galaxy then? Weird. :snoop
YMMV

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2016, 04:33:12 PM »
the cold vast universe brought to life by the emotion engine

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2016, 05:10:40 PM »
So two players managed to arrange a meetup at a space station... But despite being at the same place they claim they couldn't see each other avatar (ships were visible) and the time of day was different for both of them.

If that's true : Oooooh boy.
ὕβρις

Stoney Mason

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2016, 05:20:02 PM »
I always knew this was the case but the fact that the devs always played a coy little game with this fact is dumb.

Coitus

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2016, 05:20:11 PM »
It was always obvious NMS would be shitty destiny plus shitty minecraft.

Although it's hard to see why anyone would care whether you can actually see other players when the premise of the game is solitary space exploration.

Let's Cyber

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2016, 05:24:28 PM »
This has fuck all in common with destiny, honestly.  Well, beside the ripped off UI  :lol

Rahxephon91

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2016, 05:25:36 PM »

Although it's hard to see why anyone would care whether you can actually see other players when the premise of the game is solitary space exploration.
I mean exploring with friends and flying around together would be cool. A lot of my enjoyment in MMOs is just that.

This also doesn't seem to have much in common with Destiny.

So can this game be labeled a disapointment yet?

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2016, 05:27:55 PM »
I'm more bothered by the time of day thing. I expected the universe to obey some basic rules and basically position and rotation to be constant throughout each game. Seems it confused players that space stations "changed place" because the planet you're on rotated.

Multiplayer being impossible or rendered even more unlikely by instancing was a bit expected. Still sucks, the possibility, even remote, of meeting other players was exciting, no matter how peripheral.
ὕβρις

Coitus

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2016, 05:35:06 PM »
Isn't the repetitive and pointless grindy gameplay a feature it shares with Destiny?

I agree that multiplayer would be good, but one thing the devs did not lie about was that it was supposed to be a single-player experience.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2016, 05:41:26 PM »
Isn't the repetitive and pointless grindy gameplay a feature it shares with Destiny?

I agree that multiplayer would be good, but one thing the devs did not lie about was that it was supposed to be a single-player experience.

"No Man's Sky": Is it single-player or multiplayer game?

Ultimately, the answer is both. However, the chances of bumping into another player in this colossal universe is extremely thin. Even if 100 players landed on the same planet at the same time, they wouldn't instantly be able to find each other: it's important to remember that "No Man's Sky's planets are the size of real planets.

This is being misleading. He implies the issue is scale rather than just saying hey other people will be invisible and you can't interact with them.

If he had just straight up said the latter that would have been the direct way to answer such a question.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 05:45:42 PM by Stoney Mason »

Coitus

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2016, 05:55:13 PM »
He definitely should not have misled people but who cares if your chances of bumping into another player are "extremely thin" or zero?

The tedious gameplay is the real problem, not that you don't actually have a very slight chance to encounter someone else.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2016, 06:08:14 PM »
I don't really care about this specific issue but it sort of sums up a whole bunch of stuff on how they've handled this game. They've acted as if the game is some mystical experience where its impossible to just give straight answers about what it is and what it isn't even when it comes to straight gameplay.

Let's Cyber

« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2016, 06:27:25 PM »
Not really.  Running the same raid over and over for the chance at a piece of gear is a lot different from this.

Just staying alive and general maintenance is the "grindy" part, needing to refill life support system on a harsh planet or refueling your launch thrusters when you take off.

You don't really need to grind for materials à la year 1, vanilla Destiny.  You can straight up buy the materials you need for upgrades from space stations and money isn't that difficult to come by
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 06:31:35 PM by HackFraudDoctorScientist »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2016, 06:33:23 PM »

It's babby's first space sim plus some survival elements.
dog

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2016, 07:11:39 PM »
Not sure how multi on that scale could be seamlessly implemented, no less by a small indie team, currently anyway. PC for sure, but PS4 on their network trying to support 300 users in an "instance?" Nah.
YMMV

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2016, 07:45:35 PM »
So two players managed to arrange a meetup at a space station... But despite being at the same place they claim they couldn't see each other avatar (ships were visible) and the time of day was different for both of them.

©@©™

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2016, 08:17:26 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

OH!

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2016, 08:33:39 PM »
I like how everyone is saying...

"So there's multiplayer, right?"

and he's like...

"Haha, I guess so. Sure. Heh.  :-["

©@©™

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2016, 08:34:47 PM »
it's strenuous enough to keep track of the star citizen outrage i don't need more nerds crying about this meandering spaceship game too smh

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2016, 09:07:30 PM »
I like how everyone is saying...

"So there's multiplayer, right?"

and he's like...

"Haha, I guess so. Sure. Heh.  :-["

That was their whole marketing run-up for the game. "What do you do?"

"You do X, Y, and Z."

"Is that all there is? What's the hook?"

"...I guess. Heh. Sure."

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2016, 09:15:34 PM »
Conspiracy theory: Sony made them package that option behind a paywall.

:hitler
YMMV

cityhunter

« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2016, 11:02:12 PM »
Hoping that it'll be open to mods on steam mostly to get rid of that "quirky robot" voice. Not feeling it when I watched a little bit of quick look videos of the game. Or at least hope for different variations of voices or personality...

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2016, 11:05:20 PM »
Seems like the same problem Elite suffered from, it's hard to create a scale befitting of "the universe" while also having gameplay hooks outside of incredibly generic activities. For all the fuck ups at least Star Citizen is attempting to create a limited realm of play with content being curated vs randomly generated. The marketing material, unsurprisingly, uses the "scale" as a primary selling point but it really just seems like a clever ploy to mask the issues which would be more apparent if the number of solar systems were more limited e.g. encountering other players, content being generic, worlds being a poor mash of "mathematically" (read: randomly) generated content combining various stock objects with other various stock objects. Once you had say 500 (not sure if this would be a low ball figure) different animal and environment objects combining things randomly would generate sufficiently different terrain and animals that things never quite look the same.

◕‿◕

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2016, 01:58:24 AM »
SC is now (for a few months) on the procedural generation train to generate most of the 100 systems worths of planets.

(Image removed from quote.)

Well, yeah. I was surprised when the PS4 backcover also said "single player". Guess we should have taken a clue because those things generally are accurate but as the video shows that's definitely something that is on Hello Games and Sean Murray.

The multiplayer they hinted at was (is ?) probably accessory, non essential and light on any mechanics (like Journey) but I certainly thought it was somewhat important to the lure of the whole idea.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 04:07:54 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2016, 04:04:55 AM »

Congratulations. That takes a level of masochism rarely seen outside of BDSM dungeons. It's hard to believe that dev team went on to make Syphon Filter. Guess we know where their Bubsy dev money was actually going.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2016, 04:18:12 AM »
I've put like 159 hours into world of tanks. I ain't proud of it.

I ain't proud, either.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

I've probably got more hours than that in it, and my K/DR probably isn't anywhere near as impressive as yours. I'm on 360 though, so it doesn't tell me my hours played.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2016, 05:18:33 AM »
I've put a lot of hours into WOT too. Game is crack! Except tier IX with Heavy as Germans.

That shit made me quit.

So slow.

Rman

« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2016, 08:16:06 AM »
Game sounds unfinished. I'll get it when it's more substantial patching.  Classic over promising and underdelivering.  Sean Murray sounds like Molyneux discipile.

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2016, 08:20:11 AM »
My Twitter feed is just people gushing about it who should know better. Will be interested to see if they're still playing it in a week.
itm

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2016, 08:29:58 AM »
Well if there are....say 12 man servers....you would probably never find somebody in your session unless you coordinated.

Still easier that getting people together for a raid on destiny :umad
YMMV

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2016, 08:30:50 AM »
I've put a lot of hours into WOT too. Game is crack! Except tier IX with Heavy as Germans.

That shit made me quit.

So slow.

Tier X E50M is the shit though. But that Tier 9 grind was atrocious.
YMMV

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2016, 08:49:35 AM »
Maybe one day Ill grind it out, when I recently booted it up I was like uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2016, 11:31:07 AM »
Game sounds unfinished. I'll get it when it's more substantial patching.  Classic over promising and underdelivering.  Sean Murray sounds like Molyneux discipile.

You're pointing your finger at the wrong team. Sony fucked this up bud. They've been controlling what is being distributed since they signed the deal.

Lrn2business
YMMV

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
Re: No Man's Sky: Peter Molyneux Edition
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2016, 12:46:12 PM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2016, 02:35:12 PM »

I don't think its unfinished. I just think it is what it is. It's like single player Minecraft in space. Which might be appealing to some but is less appealing to others.

Personally I would prefer a new Starflight versus what No Man's sky offers but whatever.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starflight

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2016, 02:37:45 PM »
People should just play Subnautica instead.
dog

Stoney Mason

« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2016, 02:42:14 PM »
Starbound seems to be drawing a lot praise now for being a better version of the things NMS is trying to do.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2016, 04:06:22 PM »
To the NMS players : Have you encountered a lot of stuff already named by other players ?
ὕβρις

Let's Cyber

« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2016, 04:12:41 PM »
To the NMS players : Have you encountered a lot of stuff already named by other players ?
Zero so far.  I've only jumped to around 8 star systems though

I've heard there are ways to warp later on to cover more ground.  I'm sure seeing named stuff will become more likely the closer one gets to the center.

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2016, 04:50:40 PM »

looking at a video of this reminded me i just want gog to put out subculture  :(

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2016, 06:17:48 PM »

looking at a video of this reminded me i just want gog to put out subculture  :(
Didn't know this existed. Sounds neat.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sub_Culture

It's on the community wishlist already. Finger's crossed. :doge
https://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/sub_culture