Author Topic: No Man's Sky: Peter Molyneux Edition  (Read 33875 times)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Re: No Man's Sky: Peter Molyneux Edition
« Reply #120 on: August 17, 2016, 10:27:02 PM »
Must haven't been the British accent.
dog

bluemax

« Reply #121 on: August 18, 2016, 01:13:17 AM »
Yeah, the game took a MASSIVE hit in terms of graphics and animations. Which is weird considering it was demo'd countless times live in that state.

having a blast with it, still.

It's going to be interesting when some brave soul lets people know what those demos really were.

The dataminers already found out that they were completely scripted experiences.

So instead of making a real game they were making scripted demos

/d(thr)ead

Not sure what he means by "scripted". But I'm fairly certain they mentioned countless times that they at the very least picked planets in particular for short stage demos etc. I mean, obviously showing a barren planet with nothing but some mining resources was likely not an option.

Beside picking the planets that people experienced, the planets had none (or very little) of the procedural tech, everything that people did or saw in those demos was the result of hitting a script trigger. The demos were more Call of Duty than they were Minecraft.
NO

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #122 on: August 18, 2016, 01:24:17 AM »
In a nutshell: People fell in love with Sean Murray, not No Man's Sky.

Which is weird, because he's BrandNew without the hot incest subtext.

So in order for BrandNew to get with his sister, he needs to get a British accent... :ohhh

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #124 on: August 18, 2016, 02:33:00 PM »

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #125 on: August 18, 2016, 03:15:19 PM »
"We only had time to include multiplayer or a dinosaur humping your ship, so we had to make a tough decision."
©@©™

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #126 on: August 18, 2016, 03:24:28 PM »

Hornless2 hours ago
Holy shit man, you guys can be so obviously hilariously biased against consumers who are disappointed in no man sky. I understand you guys are near failure as your not no man sky videos fail to get even 10k views, but can you at least try not to bite the hand that feeds you so hard?

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #127 on: August 18, 2016, 07:09:04 PM »
Yeah, the game took a MASSIVE hit in terms of graphics and animations. Which is weird considering it was demo'd countless times live in that state.

having a blast with it, still.

It's going to be interesting when some brave soul lets people know what those demos really were.

The dataminers already found out that they were completely scripted experiences.

So instead of making a real game they were making scripted demos

/d(thr)ead

Not sure what he means by "scripted". But I'm fairly certain they mentioned countless times that they at the very least picked planets in particular for short stage demos etc. I mean, obviously showing a barren planet with nothing but some mining resources was likely not an option.

Beside picking the planets that people experienced, the planets had none (or very little) of the procedural tech, everything that people did or saw in those demos was the result of hitting a script trigger. The demos were more Call of Duty than they were Minecraft.

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, most likely, considering it all looked very earth-like mostly.

It's all a giant mess. I don't know if they flat out bullshited, got caught up in the massive hype and panicked, or just plans didn't work it.

I'm really enjoying the game regardless. I think a lot of people who followed it closely and "got it" generally are. The only slight disappointment for me is the quite drastic downgrade in graphics and animations, but the game can still look really pretty at times thanks to the artstyle. And in terms of the whole concept and atmosphere, they really nailed it.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #128 on: August 23, 2016, 11:37:20 AM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/4z5v3b/major_spoilers_do_not_travel_to_the_center_should/

Haha. They spent years making an existential crisis generator. That is "deep", I guess. :doge

Wouldn't be surprised if people are more generous to clicker games.

Tasty

« Reply #129 on: August 23, 2016, 12:10:00 PM »

The new Star Citizen cult. :neogaf

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #130 on: August 23, 2016, 12:16:37 PM »
NMS fans might be loons but they are not yet thousands worth of JPEGs deep...
ὕβρις

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #131 on: August 23, 2016, 12:18:35 PM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/4z5v3b/major_spoilers_do_not_travel_to_the_center_should/

Haha. They spent years making an existential crisis generator. That is "deep", I guess. :doge

Clicker Heroes > No Man's Sky
©@©™

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #132 on: August 23, 2016, 12:24:59 PM »
I remember Giant Bomb's Brad Shoemaker relating their testing environment for the planet generation algorithm. A server which runs multiple instances of the game (or just the algorithm) and displays a basic image with some information you could then inspect more closely. I want that.

Or fuck it, cheat so the resources never deplete. If you're gonna endlessly pop bubblewrap then at least do it efficiently.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 12:29:12 PM by Rufus »

Tasty

« Reply #133 on: August 23, 2016, 05:07:48 PM »

Clicker Heroes > No Man's Sky

Cookie Clicker > both

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #134 on: August 23, 2016, 11:46:36 PM »
For what its worth my feelings have tipped over into sympathy for the devs. No because they deserve it. But just because I know its never fun when people are kicking the shit out of your game. Who would have thought Hello games would get a better reputation for Joe Danger than No Man's Sky. 

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #135 on: August 24, 2016, 04:29:29 AM »
I'm pretty sure if this game launched at 15 bucks or something, with no hype and crazy expectations it would become somewhat of a cult hit.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #136 on: August 24, 2016, 05:09:58 AM »
Maybe on PC yeah, but don't think consoles have anything like this. Haven't played it and don't really know what you do in it but it looks pretty.

But you are right on PC there are probably loads of better games.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #137 on: August 24, 2016, 07:10:16 AM »
"We only had time to include multiplayer or a dinosaur humping your ship, so we had to make a tough decision."

:rofl
ど助平

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #138 on: August 24, 2016, 12:01:06 PM »

:neogaf
que

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #139 on: August 24, 2016, 12:44:35 PM »
Ouch.

Tasty

« Reply #140 on: August 24, 2016, 12:51:20 PM »
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/116922-No-Mans-Sky-Review?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=videos

"Baby's First Elite Dangerous" :dead

Been wanting to get Elite Dangerous for a while now, might pull the trigger...

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #141 on: August 24, 2016, 01:13:48 PM »
If you're on xbone (somehow I doubt it) you should add me and play with me :-* I really like Elite Dangerous and they have a pretty good pace with updates.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #142 on: August 24, 2016, 11:22:30 PM »
Jim Sterling's thoughts on this debacle.

"When one pours through the evidence, one has to conclude a very real truth- No Man's Sky is nowhere near as complex, varied, and nuanced as Hello Games Suggested it would be.  We have statement after statement and interview after interview about things said to be in the game -ways in which the game will work- that never manifested in the final release.

Even if you love No Man's Sky -and more power to you- I feel that you have to admit that whether deliberately or not, Hello Games was misleading on more than one occasion.  Heck of a lot of occasions, actually."

"But I'm not sure that even Molyneaux talked so much bullshit about one single game.  And that is what Murray talked--  Researching for this video -going back through the video interviews Murray did, not just from years ago but mere months ago- he is seen talking such complete and utter shit, so many times.  Regardless of motive, regardless of malice, that's the fact of the matter, and it's something that I don't think anyone should forget the next time Hello Games has something to sell us...whether you love it or hate it.  Whether you think Hello Games are malicious liars or over-ambitious dreamers, the fact of the matter is- Hello Games chatted shit."

:whoo
ど助平

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #143 on: August 25, 2016, 06:31:28 AM »
Him going on about things which turned out to be fantasy mere months before release is what dispells all those claiming that this was in any way normal. When one of the devs says this and that is in the game, not too long before release, it's a little different than people expecting games to play like their CG trailer.

The Molyneux comparison is very appropriate. Their next game is going to decide whether it sticks or not.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 10:16:12 AM by Rufus »

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #144 on: August 25, 2016, 06:34:50 AM »
Why the fuck did they lie though? Like you're gonna get found out bro's.

They know that they shot themselves in the foot long term right?

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #145 on: August 25, 2016, 09:41:19 AM »
Him going on about things which turned out to be fantasy mere months before release is what dispells all those claiming that this was in any way normal. When one of the devs says this and that is in the game, not too long before release, it's a little different than people expecting games to play like their CG trailer.

The Molyneux comparison is very appropriate. Their next game is going to decide wether it sticks or not.

Yeah and I think Jim Sterling is missing something here : obviously games (or any cultural product) that turn good get more leeway than bad ones, but to rebound on his Bioshock Infinite example I don't think they withheld review copies before release, it was widely known that the game had a troubled development and the preview material did reflect that changes were made. You could probably say the same about most of the famous examples in that vein : The Witcher 3, Watch Dogs and Division "graphical downgrades" were all, IIRC, apparent before release.

Otherwise I think he is spot on : regardless of motives and reasons, the fact is Sean Murray has been very misleading. Very much moreso than what is generally being deemed acceptable by marketing usually.
ὕβρις

Take My Breh Away

« Reply #146 on: August 25, 2016, 10:02:02 AM »

The Molyneux comparison is very appropriate. Their next game is going to decide wether it sticks or not.

That's not a fair comparison though.

At least Molyneux shipped a game that worked on launch :hitler

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #147 on: August 25, 2016, 11:02:43 AM »
Molyneux went off the deep end towards the end of his career. He seems like a great director that got sour.

Sean Murray is someone who worked on Joe Danger and then somehow was able to manipulate  the gaming equivalent of bleeding hearts.
OH!

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #148 on: August 25, 2016, 11:41:42 AM »
Joe Danger

Still blows my mind how that was successful. Though I guess people really wanted a casual Trials. :doge

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #149 on: August 25, 2016, 01:11:09 PM »
Otherwise I think he is spot on : regardless of motives and reasons, the fact is Sean Murray has been very misleading. Very much moreso than what is generally being deemed acceptable by marketing usually.

Imagine the reaction if EA or Ubisoft pulled that level of deception, rather than an indie darling.
dog

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #150 on: August 25, 2016, 01:24:57 PM »
Why the fuck did they lie though? Like you're gonna get found out bro's.

They know that they shot themselves in the foot long term right?

My bet is that Sean Murray did (or would) not realize until too late that they were running out of time to integrate or properly complete some of those features which were maybe part of the original draft. As it stands, it doesn't seem too far fetched to speculate they may have rushed in the last stretch of development to trim an acceptable minimum viable product out of a buggy unfinished larger version (rumors of troubles in late 2015, studio being flooded, a late delay). While they sound neat, multiplayer or semi accurate celestial mechanics wouldn't have added a lot to the core gameplay. I could see a team trying to salvage a project cutting them, maybe not realizing at the moment how bad it would look.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 01:30:45 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Stoney Mason

« Reply #151 on: August 25, 2016, 01:34:31 PM »
I still think the problem is simply there wasn't a good game design underneath this stuff. And that is the real issue. The cut promised features that people focus on are like frilly additions on a wedding cake. If the cake sucks then all the fancy side dressings won't make a bit of difference. Yeah they lied about the Journey-esque multiplayer but in the larger picture that doesn't make the game any better. Same with actual real lighting instead of skyboxes and faked physics stuff. The core main gameplay loop and progression is the problem. Not the extras.

Now the implied space factions and such probably hurt more because that could have actually factored into real gameplay. But I think that's the problem. They were always focused on giving you a "feeling" instead of delivering a great game.

I'd rather see a takedown on Hello games for bad game design versus what it has been focused on.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 01:41:58 PM by Stoney Mason »

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #152 on: August 25, 2016, 01:43:26 PM »
Speaking of inconstitencies :

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/4wsra2/i_quit_my_job_at_ea_where_i_worked_on_burnout/d69m90j

Sean Murray :

I'll tell you a funny story about PC. I was here late yesterday, and I had to take a break and do an interview with Playboy (!) - and the guy was like "what are you working on when you go back downstairs?" and I was like "compatibility for ATI opengl drivers", and he said "ummm.... could you make something up. That sounds pretty nerdy". I always knew I wasn't Playboy article material :)

https://twitter.com/RogueCheddar/status/762890728657727490

Interviewer for Playboy :

Just finished transcribing all 60 minutes of that @NoMansSky interview and there's nothing even remotely close to what he said

Like there's nothing that even could have been misconstrued or mis-remembered that way. I have absolutely no clue where it came from.

I never asked Sean to make something up, I never said anything sounded "nerdy," he never mentioned "compatibility for ATI opengl drivers"

:doge
ὕβρις

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #153 on: August 25, 2016, 01:51:05 PM »
He just can't help himself. :lol
dog

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #154 on: August 25, 2016, 01:55:03 PM »
He should'be been in game publishing instead of development.

That gushy and hoity toity letter he sent to reviewers is more pathetic than before.
OH!

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #155 on: August 25, 2016, 02:37:11 PM »
I still think the problem is simply there wasn't a good game design underneath this stuff. And that is the real issue. The cut promised features that people focus on are like frilly additions on a wedding cake. If the cake sucks then all the fancy side dressings won't make a bit of difference. Yeah they lied about the Journey-esque multiplayer but in the larger picture that doesn't make the game any better. Same with actual real lighting instead of skyboxes and faked physics stuff. The core main gameplay loop and progression is the problem. Not the extras.

Now the implied space factions and such probably hurt more because that could have actually factored into real gameplay. But I think that's the problem. They were always focused on giving you a "feeling" instead of delivering a great game.

I'd rather see a takedown on Hello games for bad game design versus what it has been focused on.

Jim Sterling touched on this in his latest video, basically pointing out that games general considered good can get away with not having everything promised or initially shown and nobody really cares, but then the games that promise lots of shit, don't have it, and aren't that great get shit all over.  But I still think this is a different situation, because Sean Murray was going onto TV shows promising things that weren't there.  It was a whole new level of bullshit.
ど助平

Stoney Mason

« Reply #156 on: August 25, 2016, 03:20:54 PM »

Jim Sterling touched on this in his latest video, basically pointing out that games general considered good can get away with not having everything promised or initially shown and nobody really cares, but then the games that promise lots of shit, don't have it, and aren't that great get shit all over.  But I still think this is a different situation, because Sean Murray was going onto TV shows promising things that weren't there.  It was a whole new level of bullshit.

I don't disagree. He often lied or misled whether intentional or not. I guess for me coming from the gameplay side, 90% of it wouldn't have mattered anyway. Like I said the journey-esque multiplayer. Would it be neat to meet another human in the universe? Sure. But ultimately would that make or break the game or significantly improve the game value? For an incredibly small niche of people sure. But not for most of us. I get why its easy to pick apart these interviews. Because its black or white is it in the game or not. So its like catching somebody in a lie.

But in that sense, I guess I feel like its already been proven. Yeah they lied some. But for me the more interesting discussion is why the game fails for many people. And I don't think its these fluff removed features. I think its a more fundamental rotten core. But I digress. I've honestly talked about this game enough probably. There are plenty of other games that fail to hit the mark. I think the Division is also a failure of a game for a lot of reasons and people rarely talk about that one.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #157 on: August 25, 2016, 03:41:06 PM »
This isn't necessarily directed at anyone specifically, but comparing No Man's Sky to Minecraft ended up being a complete bust. In Minecraft, you gather a variety of materials in order to build and create new object. In No Man's Sky, you gather materials to level up your gear, and that's it. They're not even remotely similar.
dog

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #158 on: August 25, 2016, 03:50:23 PM »
I think No Man's Sky would have been a lot better received if you could actually build stuff. Even if it was just module-based like Fallout 4.
©@©™

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #159 on: August 25, 2016, 04:38:59 PM »

It seems the main goal was travel. You can sit down for an hour and do stuff in a system which you've definitely never seen before. Said stuff is unfortunately garbage and seems almost entirely self-contained. I don't exactly know how you get to the center of the galaxy, but inventory space seems to be the biggest bottle neck. I think you need better warp drives, too, but all the other shit? Uselss. It's dirt farming to dirt farm faster.

It's bizarre, but I suppose it's a consequence of setting most of  the game on the planet surfaces themselves. Since those were procedurally generated, any 'content' on them would have to be procedurally generated as well. And in a high enough density, too, so that you can't strand yourself or find nothing to do but leave immediately. This only results in everything feeling the same throughout, since you're going to the same hand full of structures over and over by all accounts.

I can't think of any other substitute loop besides loot. It would allow them to leave most of it as is. Anything else would be too much work for the size of the world or require server infrastructure. An interesting narrative at the very least would have been doable, too, but they just have this Atlas thing instead which culminates in a puff of smoke for all the effort it takes to get  there.

Also:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/116922-No-Mans-Sky-Review
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 04:58:19 PM by Rufus »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #160 on: August 25, 2016, 04:57:44 PM »
It seems the main goal was travel. You can sit down for an hour and do stuff in a system which you've definitely never seen before. Said stuff is unfortunately garbage and seems almost entirely self-contained. I don't exactly know how you get to the center of the galaxy, but inventory space seems to be the biggest bottle neck. I think you need better warp drives, too, but all the other shit? Uselss. It's dirt farming to dirt farm faster.

Yeah I think this was a problem. When you make the main (only?) goal of the game travel to a distant point, that's not the best idea since it discourages making any one place feel like your home. Instead its just on to the next planet to plunder. And the next and the next and the next, etc.

There had to be something substantial to do on individual planets to make them worthy and worthwhile and interesting. That is probably base building at a minimum.

The game should have essentially had all kinds of other mini-games in it. Creature collection, creature breeding,etc. All that stuff Japanese games are good at filling out their game design with.

My personal issue was the survival portion of the game. I was the most interested in that as I thought it would be really unique and interesting but that portion is shit. It's so basic and simple that there isn't anything to it. I thought just surviving and navigating and trying to stay alive would be the fun part. Basically kind of like The Martian, The Game.

Solus Project looks more in line with what I wanted I suppose.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 05:07:17 PM by Stoney Mason »

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #161 on: August 25, 2016, 06:00:07 PM »
The game should have essentially had all kinds of other mini-games in it. Creature collection, creature breeding,etc. All that stuff Japanese games are good at filling out their game design with.
Yes, or add a couple more steps to the loop. Require people to probe a planet before they land, so they could include actually dangerous planets. Put valuable stuff there, so you have a rason to prepare yourself for a challenge and brave them anyway. Maybe even gate them with upgrades. No extra radiation shielding? Can't land there. Or sentinels in orbit guarding worlds rich in life, which you're then sent on to capture or hunt. Let people create ships from parts so money is more useful. Stuff like that.

My personal issue was the survival portion of the game. I was the most interested in that as I thought it would be really unique and interesting but that portion is shit. It's so basic and simple that there isn't anything to it. I thought just surviving and navigating and trying to stay alive would be the fun part. Basically kind of like The Martian, The Game.
I watched Dansgaming go through a couple of planets and yeah, it barely mattered. He had an upgrade to deal with radiation, but it seems he could have just ignored it since he forgot to recharge it at one point. The nagging from the suit sounds so dramatic even though everything he needed was always in walking distance, either on the surface or in a nearby cave.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #162 on: August 26, 2016, 10:34:00 AM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/4zlqpw/went_back_to_my_starting_planet_and_every/

Some players have had their discoveries wiped, corrupted or erased.  :(  :lol

EDIT : Some Gaffer tested it and it is repeatable. Some old discoveries of animals and stuff (not planets and systems) will be tossed out of the line if you keep piling up new ones. Unclear as of now if it has anything to do with stuff named while the servers were taking a beating in the first week...
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 05:51:05 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Raist

« Reply #163 on: August 26, 2016, 07:18:16 PM »

Yes, or add a couple more steps to the loop. Require people to probe a planet before they land, so they could include actually dangerous planets. Put valuable stuff there, so you have a rason to prepare yourself for a challenge and brave them anyway. Maybe even gate them with upgrades. No extra radiation shielding? Can't land there. Or sentinels in orbit guarding worlds rich in life, which you're then sent on to capture or hunt. Let people create ships from parts so money is more useful. Stuff like that.

There's stuff like that. The most rare items that are worth loads of money will instantly trigger a lvl 3 GTA-like thing when you pick them up.
Otherwise I agree, game isn't challenging enough. You have to try really hard to die.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/4zlqpw/went_back_to_my_starting_planet_and_every/

Some players have had their discoveries wiped, corrupted or erased.  :(  :lol

EDIT : Some Gaffer tested it and it is repeatable. Some old discoveries of animals and stuff (not planets and systems) will be tossed out of the line if you keep piling up new ones. Unclear as of now if it has anything to do with stuff named while the servers were taking a beating in the first week...

Some gaffer? pfft :p

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #164 on: August 26, 2016, 07:35:08 PM »
"It was me, Murray, it was me all along !"

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sorry, didn't look up the screen name at first  :-[
[close]
ὕβρις

Raist

« Reply #165 on: August 27, 2016, 09:51:42 AM »
"It was me, Murray, it was me all along !"

Sorry, didn't look up the screen name at first  :-[
[close]

Fine. I shall forgive you.

To be fair I have like 10 posts on here. Took something like 3 months to get my account approved. I guess admins here don't work 160h a week on their website.
[close]

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #166 on: August 29, 2016, 11:44:19 PM »

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #167 on: August 30, 2016, 12:05:15 AM »
You buy a game day one you're paying for that experience. You don't like it? that money's gone. I learned that from FFXIII.  You can always wait a week. Chose not to, then you're not paying for the game really, you're paying the experience. Hell, with the disaster NMS has been, waiting 2 days would've been enough for you to realize you should probably wait on this one.
que

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #168 on: August 30, 2016, 01:01:11 AM »
"BUT YOU PROMISSSSEEED!!!"
pcp

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #169 on: August 30, 2016, 01:10:59 AM »
Yeah, same with opening-day movies. I can imagine most people were disappointed with BvS or Suicide Squad, but I don't imagine a very large percentage of them felt entitled to a refund. And most people won't ask for a refund on food they've paid for but didn't enjoy (or the more common case: refuse to pay for food they didn't enjoy). They just don't patronize the establishment again.

bluemax

« Reply #170 on: August 30, 2016, 02:05:37 AM »

Yeah I think this was a problem. When you make the main (only?) goal of the game travel to a distant point, that's not the best idea since it discourages making any one place feel like your home. Instead its just on to the next planet to plunder. And the next and the next and the next, etc.

There had to be something substantial to do on individual planets to make them worthy and worthwhile and interesting. That is probably base building at a minimum.

The more I see of No Man's Sky, the more it reminds me of something that no one in their right mind wanted more of:

the planetary exploration sidequests from Mass Effect (which actually one of the DLC ones ended up being pretty good). Just futzing around on shitty planets that are all essentially the same with almost no reward to be found.
NO

Tasty

« Reply #171 on: August 30, 2016, 03:15:14 AM »
Yeah, same with opening-day movies. I can imagine most people were disappointed with BvS or Suicide Squad, but I don't imagine a very large percentage of them felt entitled to a refund. And most people won't ask for a refund on food they've paid for but didn't enjoy (or the more common case: refuse to pay for food they didn't enjoy). They just don't patronize the establishment again.

Ehh if the theater were glitching out during their showing I imagine they would absolutely be entitled to a refund.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #172 on: August 30, 2016, 03:34:13 AM »
New feature : Procgen refund weird analogies !
ὕβρις

Raist

« Reply #173 on: August 30, 2016, 04:14:59 AM »

If your Testarossa broke down after driving it for 5oh, wouldn't you want your money back??!?!!

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #174 on: August 30, 2016, 03:34:09 PM »

Ehh if the theater were glitching out during their showing I imagine they would absolutely be entitled to a refund.

I watched 2 hours of AI and then the film melted and we all got refunds. I sure as hell didn't use my refund on another showing of AI. :yuck
©@©™

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #175 on: August 30, 2016, 03:36:13 PM »

If your Testarossa broke down after driving it for 5oh, wouldn't you want your money back??!?!!

Depends if the cook spat in it.
ὕβρις

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #176 on: August 30, 2016, 04:41:46 PM »

I watched 2 hours of AI and then the film melted and we all got refunds. I sure as hell didn't use my refund on another showing of AI. :yuck
I was at a showing of Spawn and the film cut out right at the end and everyone cheered because refunds and then it came back on and everyone booed :maf
vin

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #177 on: August 30, 2016, 04:57:11 PM »

The more I see of No Man's Sky, the more it reminds me of something that no one in their right mind wanted more of:

the planetary exploration sidequests from Mass Effect (which actually one of the DLC ones ended up being pretty good). Just futzing around on shitty planets that are all essentially the same with almost no reward to be found.
Totally agree.  What we see is the craziness that can inhabit some indie studios. They're more prone to fall in love with their own idea.  Like when you read the design doc for the tech your inner geek is like "Yeah, that concept for tech is pretty cool." But they never bothered to ask the question of "Why is it compelling?" We see this too in modern classical music. People will write mountains of procedural code to create mathematically derived music which is all rather impressive when you see the effort they put into it, but terrible to listen to. And when you ask why it's compelling they say it's interesting to them. That's all well and good for them. But when was the last time you saw a procedurally generated piece of music place well on any chart? You don't. Because it's only compelling to the people who wrote it, and a handful of people that are actually interested. It's just not generally compelling. The thing with a major studio is that they have to front the money so many times they'll start off with "Why is it compelling?" What's happened though is this cult around certain indie devs where they're in love with their idea and they get a small number of people that are in love with their idea and it grows into an echo chamber sometimes that can be so loud they might get funding from a big publisher hoping to seem like an Indie supporting darling.  But really there were some fundamental questions that were either ignored or simply never asked.

"You can walk around planets!"
"But why is it compelling?"
"Every planet will be different!"
"But why is it compelling?"
"15 quadrillion planets!!"
"BUT WHY IS IT COMPELLING?!!"
"So many planets!!"

Perhaps I'm being a bit harsh, there were some cool concepts that could have at least answered the compelling question. Things like factions, custom ships, multi-player while I think they wouldn't have saved it, it at least would have given a compelling reason for some. But they largely ignored all that and stuck with their beloved idea of procedurally generated worlds. Which, really, if they had only done 7.5 Quantillion planets and focused more on the stuff that would make the game fun, I dare to posit that no one would've noticed the missing 7.5 giggillion planets.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 05:13:01 PM by I'm a Puppy! »
que

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #178 on: August 30, 2016, 05:24:43 PM »
I thing the main thing about No Man's Sky is that it quickly loses any sense of mystery, discovering the unknown, after the first few planets. They're all just palette swaps with the same minerals, the same kinds of creature parts [just swapped around a bit], and the same boring alien structures. When you pull up the star map and choose your next destination, there's absolutely no reason to pick one system over another. There's no "I could go over here and get X, but if I went here I might be able to find Y instead". Nope. Just pick a new location at random. Not that it matters, because you already know what you're going to find there.

They should have made some unique planets with really cool stuff, then scattered then around the galaxy and given you clues to find them. That would at least be something.
dog

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #179 on: August 30, 2016, 06:10:29 PM »

Sure. But Happy Smile Games or whatever isn't running on Ferrari's brand, perceived value, or performance. If I ate at the French Laundry and they rolled out garbage food, sure I'd refuse to pay.

NMS came out on indie cred with some sizable plans that didn't turn out as planned. Some people are happy with it, others aren't -- and they're playing the same product, which tells me the experience is subjective.

--at least for console players. If the varied spec of gaming PCs has caused performance problems for PC gamers, I'm open to arguments about refunds but only on the grounds of performance not being as advertised.