Author Topic: No Man's Sky: Peter Molyneux Edition  (Read 34366 times)

Bulleta©™®

• is probably playing some game
Re: No Man's Sky: Peter Molyneux Edition
« Reply #240 on: August 09, 2017, 05:31:34 AM »
Wasn't this the game that the devs like promised the game would give people blowjobs or something and it winded up being a turd that people were able to fully refund?

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #241 on: August 09, 2017, 06:48:46 AM »
I still haven't received my No Man's Sky blowjob.

:goty

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #242 on: August 09, 2017, 04:07:54 PM »
:yeshrug

Raist

« Reply #243 on: August 11, 2017, 02:23:00 AM »
Mistakes were made. Things leaked.

https://gist.github.com/Ariistuujj/b82ece3f85163267a19be984b00b7d70

Whatthefuckomgwoureovdihotdvd

Let's Cyber

« Reply #244 on: August 11, 2017, 05:09:30 AM »
Just based on the leaked screenshots, we have completely revamped economy, hostile systems, revamped galaxy map, new ships, new biome types, new types of fauna. The rumor of missiles was true so we have have new weapon types. The terrain generation looks a lot more varied and it looks like they increased the potential height of mountains as well as the size of canyons. We finally have actual desert planets! New types of structures, also crashed freighters on planets.  We still don't know exactly what portals do or what "joint exploration" is.

For a game that desperately needed more variety, this seems like a pretty substantial update.

Edit: Official site and patchnotes are finally up

https://www.nomanssky.com/atlas-rises-update/

« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 06:26:53 AM by Let's Cyber »

Let's Cyber

« Reply #245 on: August 11, 2017, 06:02:14 AM »

There is also a leaked image showing terrain manipulation with a multitool and the ability add to the topography. Kind of crazy, I wonder what purpose that serves.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 06:42:15 AM by Let's Cyber »

Bulleta©™®

• is probably playing some game
« Reply #246 on: August 11, 2017, 07:25:58 AM »
Game is probably still shit tho.

Raist

« Reply #247 on: August 11, 2017, 10:35:24 AM »
Downloading right now (PS4). 7.2GB  :leon

G The Resurrected

« Reply #248 on: August 11, 2017, 11:17:45 AM »
Well it only took a year, I'm still pissed at how much time I wasted on this game early on. Is it worth going back to?

Raist

« Reply #249 on: August 11, 2017, 11:28:20 AM »
It's fucking glorious. They changed pretty much everything :lawd

Let's Cyber

« Reply #250 on: August 11, 2017, 12:04:43 PM »
Well it only took a year, I'm still pissed at how much time I wasted on this game early on. Is it worth going back to?
I only played with it for an hour so I can't get a detailed breakdown yet but there is some meat to it now, lots of new shit to do. I haven't done the story stuff yet but I can get back to you on it.  What I can say is everything looks much sharper, especially the textures on the planets. Planets in general look much more varied and interesting (out of like the 5 I checked out)

A lot of little things have been addressed I wasn't expecting. There is added weight to the way the character moves and to way the spaceship feels. You can now crash into things and need to pay attention to where you're flying, no more invisible bumpers. Flight in general feels much better. Outer space isn't a technicolor light show anymore and most of outer space finally looks dark and bleak as it should.

They added a FOV slider on PS4, that alone is making a huge difference for me. It felt super cramped before. I'll try to give more detailed impressions this weekend. This very much feels like 2.0 based on my brief time with it this morning. I hope the story path is interesting and worth it.

Raist

« Reply #251 on: August 11, 2017, 12:50:29 PM »
So much shit has changed, I don't even know where to begin.

Started a new game from scratch on survival.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #252 on: August 11, 2017, 12:53:27 PM »
Is it gud now?

Raist

« Reply #253 on: August 11, 2017, 01:25:19 PM »
I always liked the game :yeshrug
This update is absurd, they might as well have called it 2.0.

Stay away from it if you're not into survival-ish / base building games though.
It's like 20 bucks on Steam / GoG / PSN so it's not a huge loss. If you roll with Steam you can also easily refund, although you'd barely even scratch the surface in the amount of time you get before you can't refund anymore.

There's tons of streams going on right now, so I suppose having a look might help too.

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #254 on: August 12, 2017, 09:09:23 AM »
Since the gaming public is predominantly made up of young children with a memory as complex as a goldfish, give it another year with a few more major updates and people will be praising No Man's Sky as a beautiful and forward thinking sandbox.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #255 on: August 12, 2017, 09:40:10 AM »
In another year or so, I'll just pretend it's a new release game at a budget price.
dog

Raist

« Reply #256 on: August 12, 2017, 10:58:11 AM »
2016 called, it wants its shitposts back.

Meanwhile, it's the current top seller on Steam :-*

Let's Cyber

« Reply #257 on: August 13, 2017, 08:04:13 AM »
I put a bunch of time into a new save file yesterday, here's what I'll say for anyone on the fence.

This still is not the type of game that has mass appeal. It isn't going to please first-person shooter fans, the on foot combat isn't that fun. This isn't going to please space flight sim fans, the flying is basic. It's far too boring for anyone wanting to play an action game or just kill space pirates. If you're not really into the visuals, or don't enjoy exploration for exploration's sake, or if you hate inventory management, I'll say this should be a hard pass for you. This update improved many aspects of the game but did NOT change the core tenets.

This is ultimately Don't Starve in space, especially on Survival Mode. Closer to the original Don't Starve as opposed to the current updated version which is much deeper, but that is the closest example I could think of. Your purpose is to keep meters filled up so you don't die and in the meantime explore and find new things. Just like Don't Starve, you'll need to pick and choose what is important enough to put into backpack and knowing what you should leave behind. It is a lot about preparation and having the resources ready to tackle whatever whatever challenges are ahead of you. After exploring various biomes and making some money, you'll begin to increase your storage and defense against the elements, allowing you to explore even more dangerous planets and ultimately finding new stuff.  That is game.
The new biomes looks great and there are some new, shiny ships to grind for in the end game. The planets feel more varied. The improved economy allows for some more in depth trading for the player to take advantage of. The solar systems don't feel as copy and paste thanks to the different hostility levels and economy tiers. The new story in interesting from a lore perspective but if you don't enjoy the core gameplay elements it isn't going to be the saving grace of the experience for you. It's a lot of "go here, do this, craft that".

If you're intrigued by the idea of jetting off into the unknown, discovering new worlds and role playing as a space explorer (with a lot of inventory management inbetween), the game now has enough depth and new systems that I could recommend it for $20. It is much improved over the original. If you want a FPS with sci-fi visuals and multiplayer, play Destiny. If you want a more serious flight sim, play Elite: Dangerous.

Raist

« Reply #258 on: August 13, 2017, 09:16:53 AM »
Don't Starve?

It's a lot closer to games like Subnautica etc. Except that you get to play with a whole galaxy, instead of just a tiny map.

Let's Cyber

« Reply #259 on: August 13, 2017, 11:00:44 AM »
There are plenty of survival games out there, pick one. I've spent hundreds of hours with Don't Starve so that is what it reminds me of in terms of the game systems and focus, not the graphics or camera perspective. I'm also talking about Survival Mode specifically.

IF someone enjoys that type of game and pace, I could see them getting enjoyment out of this as well.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 11:08:06 AM by Let's Cyber »

Raist

« Reply #260 on: August 13, 2017, 04:43:49 PM »
:leon

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #261 on: August 18, 2017, 12:33:36 PM »
I was thinking about picking this up but didn't pull the trigger. Now I'll probably just wait for the Fall sale to get it for like 20 bucks.
nat

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #262 on: August 18, 2017, 12:44:22 PM »
So, has the barefoot No Man Skybro ever given an interview or released a statement on why he just straight up lied about the game? I really want to read a post-mortem on NMS.
©@©™

Let's Cyber

« Reply #263 on: August 18, 2017, 01:50:43 PM »
So, has the barefoot No Man Skybro ever given an interview or released a statement on why he just straight up lied about the game? I really want to read a post-mortem on NMS.
No. He supposedly promised an interview to Geoff Keighley but I don't think it ever happened.

The short of it seems to be they were running out of money and had to get something out the door to pay the bills. They just didn't have the time or money to implement all the stuff Sean Murray talked about. He was a dumbass for talking about multiplayer because we know the foundation for it wasn't in place by the time the game launched. I'm sure his team was pulling their hair out while Sean was promising all kinds of things in interviews that they hadn't even begun to work on. It really was a Peter Molyneux situation.

EDIT: Sean admitted they were low on funds at a GDC talk.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/03/sean-murray-unveils-hello-labs-will-incubate-more-procedural-tech-games/
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 03:54:40 PM by Let's Cyber »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #264 on: August 18, 2017, 10:02:39 PM »
Isn't it just more likely that these were all things which were on the whiteboard at some point? If this was a game which was planned to have features added beyond its launch date, isn't it reasonable that he'd talk about them even if they weren't going to be Day One items?

To be clear, I'm talking out my ass here, just playing Devil's Advocate.  I didn't follow the development at all, and I have no idea what the timeline of this guy's statements were.

Let's Cyber

« Reply #265 on: August 18, 2017, 11:12:52 PM »
I don't think it (the missing content, "lies") was done maliciously and I'm sure some of that stuff was drawn up somewhere during production. For example, he talked a few times pre-release about "Dark Souls" type multiplayer interactions. That didn't make it at launch but we did eventually get the ability to leave messages. We can now see other players' locations in real time, too. It must have been something discussed early on internally but just got pushed aside as release day was approaching. You're also correct that they always discussed NMS as a game they'd be working on and adding content to for a long time.

His biggest problems was being too vague about game features and making bold claims, some of which never came to pass. The podcast he did with Game Informer was a good example. He was taking random questions from listeners and looking back, he was just winging it. He discussed big carnivorous plants, elaborate weather systems, ringed planets, etc. A lot of that stuff isn't represented in the game so far. It's almost like he thought of the questions as "Would this type of thing be possible" rather than "is this something you're currently working on"? So he said yes to a lot of things which weren't really part of the game.

He comes off as a guy really invested in the tech they created and too enamored with the POTENTIAL of his grand idea rather than conveying the realities of the game actually being worked on.  Basically, he really needed a PR guy between him and the audience.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #266 on: August 18, 2017, 11:32:13 PM »
It's a Peter Molyneux situation. Lots of big ideas were thrown around and in a way that left a lot of people believing that's what the final product would be like. But it didn't happen and still hasn't for a lot of those promise. Unlike Molyneux, at least, they do seem to be making an attempt to pull the game closer to what those promises were, rather than just dumping it and moving on to the next thing.
dog

Raist

« Reply #267 on: August 19, 2017, 02:14:57 AM »
I think the main issue is that he was talking about his game with no PR control whatsoever. So he was just speaking as a dev, mentioning stuff they were thinking of / planning, but given the ridiculous hype and people behaving like 10yo entitled children, it backfired massively. I guess he probably learned his lesson. That's probably why he's limited his public appearances to dev talks, and only communicates about updates.

Sony didn't seem to particularly care either, while having put them in the spotlight left right and center, and eventually Yoshida even threw them kinda under the bus. Maybe some shit went down, or since HG insisted they wanted to retain control of the IP and publishing (at least on PSN / Steam) Sony couldn't be arsed to help more than just funding the physical PS4 release.

Add on top of that running out of cash, and their studio being flooded halfway through development, and you've got a nice disaster recipe.

But yeah, on the plus side, they're still working their asses off to improve the game and make it closer to their original vision, so that's sort of redeeming. As for MP, they seem to have the basics in place, so it's probably going to be done at some point.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #268 on: August 19, 2017, 02:24:54 AM »
Thanks for the recap, dudes.

So is it worth buying now?

Raist

« Reply #269 on: August 19, 2017, 03:03:59 AM »
If you're fine with Survival games (Subnautica etc) and aren't afraid of grinding, which is let's face it a characteristic of the genre, sure.
Price went back up on Steam though, so maybe wait for another discount. Unless you get it on PSN. Not sure if it's still cheap though.

Edit: although, the grinding bit mostly applies if you want to build a huge base, or buy large freighters. They've also toned it down quite a bit by increasing the amount of the most important resources for sale in space stations. Still need some cash for that, but nowhere near the insane amounts required for the most advanced ships, and freighters.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #270 on: January 29, 2018, 08:30:47 PM »
I played No Man's Sky for the first time yesterday. If this is what the game's like after three major updates, I can certainly understand why a lot of people were very angry when it first came out.

-I'm constantly managing my backpack and ship inventory. Despite getting a lot more backpack slots, it's always full. My ship cargo is also always full. Also, vendor trash items take up way too much space.
-I need certain minerals to do stuff but it's so hard to find them.
-Flying my ship to a new location on a planet is such a chore. Exploring on foot takes forever and the environment is constantly trying to kill me.
-At least 50% of my time is managing resource meters.
-Controls are so floaty and awful. Ship-to-ship combat is nice to have, but the garbage controls make it not fun.
-There's no easy way to mark a particular location so I can come back to it.
-Warp cells take so much resources to make, and you have to go through like three steps to make one.

This game is half "This is fun, I love exploring and the mystery of the main quest" and half "Why did they design this game like this?!"
dog

Raist

« Reply #271 on: January 30, 2018, 04:46:24 AM »
You can build beacons to mark POIs breh.

And yeah, roaming around a planet with a ship isn't ideal. Gets a lot better once you get land vehicles.

Let's Cyber

« Reply #272 on: January 30, 2018, 05:46:50 AM »
I played No Man's Sky for the first time yesterday. If this is what the game's like after three major updates, I can certainly understand why a lot of people were very angry when it first came out.

-I'm constantly managing my backpack and ship inventory. Despite getting a lot more backpack slots, it's always full. My ship cargo is also always full. Also, vendor trash items take up way too much space.
-I need certain minerals to do stuff but it's so hard to find them.
-Flying my ship to a new location on a planet is such a chore. Exploring on foot takes forever and the environment is constantly trying to kill me.
-At least 50% of my time is managing resource meters.
-Controls are so floaty and awful. Ship-to-ship combat is nice to have, but the garbage controls make it not fun.
-There's no easy way to mark a particular location so I can come back to it.
-Warp cells take so much resources to make, and you have to go through like three steps to make one.

This game is half "This is fun, I love exploring and the mystery of the main quest" and half "Why did they design this game like this?!"
You should find and build a base ASAP.  It will make your life a million times easier. Also, base building can be pretty fun so it's worth doing regardless.

This is all assuming you're on PS4 but the concepts are the same on PC, i just don't know the button layout.  While on a planet, press up on the D-pad to pull up the tech menu  . Build a Signal Booster, it only requires Iron and Plutonium, which are the two more widely available elements in the game.  Hold square on it and pick "Habitable Base", it should give you marker somewhere on the planet with a base location.  At the base, there will be a terminal on the wall inside. Go to it and claim the base as your own. Once it is yours, you can create more rooms and add on to the basic structure. Most of the construction parts for a base only require Iron, which is widely available, (especially in caves) so it wouldn't be a problem getting started.  Complete some of the base missions to unlock more plant types and crafting recipes (you'll need to find alien technicians to join your base, but they're widely available at most Space Stations). Building some basic farms now will get you started on making credits. You'll also be able to build land vehicles which obviously make exploring your home planet much more manageable. Also keep in mind you can teleport back to your base from any space station so you can freely travel out into the cosmos and never be stuck without a way home.

Once you get the proper resources, you can also create 10 storage containers at your base with 5 slots each, 1000 resources per slot (so 50k overall) which gives you a TON more inventory room. You can send resources back to those containers from anywhere. Once you have some storage containers created, go to your Exosuit inventory, press triangle to move things between inventories and scroll down to ""Storage Container Inventory and press X to send it over. This makes exploring and hoarding of new resources much, much easier and frees up space on your person.

After you have some money saved up, look for Drop pods. These also can be found by using Signal Boosters as well. They are super important and allow you do increase your Exosuit inventory, including cargo slots on you backpack which hold twice as many resources. There are also Tech Slots on your Exosuit for Heat/Cold/Toxic/Radiation protection. You'll need to find those blueprints by exploring or buying them from space stations with Nanite Clusters.

The ultimate goal will be to buy bigger and better ship with more slots and better stats. Learning new blueprints makes everything easier as well and will allow you to survive in harsh environments and run/jetpack further. Eventually you'll be able to buy Freighters which allows you to build a second mobile base and has even more inventory space.
Exploring on foot takes forever
Are you using the boost trick? While you're running, push R1 to melee and quickly press X. This will propel you forward much faster than just running. Especially useful jumping from the top of a hill for maximum distance.

https://www.vg247.com/2016/08/10/wanna-go-fast-use-this-nifty-trick-in-no-mans-sky-called-the-jetpack-dash/

It becomes much more effective after you get the running and jetpack upgrades. I can glide over canyons with maxed jetpack modifications.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 08:14:14 AM by Let's Cyber »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #273 on: January 30, 2018, 12:24:29 PM »
I've been doing some base-building and, yeah, it's a lot more fun and makes other things a lot easier.
dog

Let's Cyber

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #275 on: May 18, 2018, 12:42:15 PM »
See, he was telling the truth after all.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #276 on: May 18, 2018, 12:50:42 PM »
 :zzz
dog

Let's Cyber

« Reply #277 on: May 18, 2018, 01:03:17 PM »
Yeah but now you can fly around with nothing to do with friends.

:rejoice

btw people should play Subnautica. A lot of similar gameplay concepts but a lot more polish and more satisfying progression.

Svejk

« Reply #278 on: May 18, 2018, 01:09:26 PM »
I'll wait till it's less than $10 or a PS Plus freebie.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #279 on: May 18, 2018, 02:07:36 PM »
No Man Sky haters annihilated.
©@©™

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #280 on: May 18, 2018, 02:57:08 PM »
When's this shit gonna be a humble monthly early unlock? 60$  :neogaf

Raist

« Reply #281 on: May 18, 2018, 05:07:56 PM »
It's been on discount multiple times :yeshrug

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #282 on: May 18, 2018, 05:20:46 PM »
Yeah but I'm looking for those deep discounts, none of this 30$ stuff. Steam summer sale is right around the corner tho, who knows

Raist

« Reply #283 on: May 19, 2018, 04:07:30 PM »
Was like 15 quid on PS4 a couple of times. I would have assumed Stean would have matched, but fuck if I know.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #284 on: May 19, 2018, 04:15:09 PM »
The lowest it's gone on steam is 25$ according to ITAD. Sticking to the 60$ tag 2 years later and never heavily discounting it is probably a good strategy sales wise, but it hasn't turned around to the point where I'm willing to throw down more than 10 or 15 bucks for it

Raist

« Reply #285 on: May 19, 2018, 04:16:38 PM »
Yeah fair enough.

With it launching on the Bone soon tho, I can't imagine the price will drop anytime soon.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #286 on: May 19, 2018, 04:17:57 PM »
Fuck I didn't even realize. Guess I'll just have to keep running Elite Dangerous CGs til next year :/

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #287 on: May 20, 2018, 04:30:37 AM »
When's this shit gonna be a humble monthly early unlock? 60$  :neogaf
I think there was an "exclusive" discount (40% off or something) as one of the Humble Early Unlocks, though if you had it at the time I'm sure you were like probably most everyone and took the $5 store credit instead. :lol

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #288 on: May 20, 2018, 04:38:01 AM »
Yeah but now you can fly around with nothing to do with friends.

:rejoice

btw people should play Subnautica. A lot of similar gameplay concepts but a lot more polish and more satisfying progression.

I co-sign everything in this post.

agrajag

« Reply #289 on: May 20, 2018, 07:08:56 AM »
When is the Stefan Molyneux Edition coming out?

Raist

« Reply #290 on: July 18, 2018, 02:27:07 AM »
:leon

nudemacusers

« Reply #291 on: July 18, 2018, 06:44:54 AM »
As much as I’ve dooked on this game this next update seems legit. Not $60 legit, maybe.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Tasty

« Reply #292 on: July 18, 2018, 11:12:55 AM »
So it's an MMO now? :thinking

Raist

« Reply #293 on: July 18, 2018, 12:49:39 PM »
So it's an MMO now? :thinking

Not exactly. I think for now there's a limit on how many people will share a session in a given system (16 I think?). So you won't see 200 people roaming around.

Raist

agrajag

« Reply #295 on: July 20, 2018, 03:00:49 PM »
But I thought the universe was so vast you couldn't run into any other players, it would take thousands of years  :derp

Tasty

« Reply #296 on: July 20, 2018, 03:02:55 PM »
But I thought the universe was so vast you couldn't run into any other players, it would take thousands of years  :derp

>somebody does it on day one :crowdlaff

Raist

« Reply #297 on: July 24, 2018, 10:51:29 AM »
It's $25 on GMG right now, for those looking for a discount.

edit: https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/no-mans-sky/

Raist

« Reply #299 on: July 25, 2018, 05:47:51 AM »
Steam peaked at 40k players, and over 100k twitch viewers :leon