Author Topic: |OT| Tech Thread of Tech for Techie Techs to Tech out with Tech  (Read 150 times)

Cauliflower Of Love

• They/King/Queen
I just wanted a reason to post about the OSOM phone being announced today. From former people at Essential ( the company that Andy Rubin started after getting kicked from google for having a sex cult ring(after he brought android to google(as part of sidekick)))))))

https://www.osomprivacy.com/?e=1

https://twitter.com/OsomPrivacy/status/1499747397567762441

(hype-sponsored post)

(this will be the tech thread)

3PM EST

Uncle

• Have You Ever
Re: |OT| Tech Thread of Tech for Techie Techs to Tech out with Tech
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2022, 02:07:54 PM »
a good phone huh?
Uncle

Cauliflower Of Love

• They/King/Queen
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2022, 02:14:15 PM »
Appears to be a crypto based nft phone thingie?

Potato

• Kipfler
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2022, 03:58:41 PM »
While I don't think I'd buy one quite yet, I'm really interested in where e-ink phones are going.

This new one from Hisense looks really good.

Spud

Tasty

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2022, 07:31:24 PM »
Cool new tech I've bought recently or am planning on picking up soon:

Kindle Paperwhite SE (2021) + Dock

I'm upgrading soon from the 2016 model. Compared to that one, the new version has waterproofing, bigger screen, and most importantly to me, USB-C and wireless charging. I've always been big into docks (😏) for my phones and tablets, and I've been switching to a more eInk reading/writing lifestyle, trying to focus better and cut out distractions. I love my original Kindle so much, despite my hatred of Amazon burning like a thousand neutron stars.

ReMarkable 2

Got this as a birthday+Christmas gift a few years ago. It's super low-lag e-ink with a textured screen and stylus that actually feels like pencil on paper. Beyond the drawing/writing capabilities, I mostly use it to display sheet music PDFs. The one drawback IMO (aside from color obviously) is like of a glowlight, adding that would make a nearly-perfect device indespensible. Excellent software and hardware design that nears Apple levels.

Freewrite Traveller

A portable, clamshell eInk typewriter with cloud sync and pretty much nothing else. The price is a pretty outrageous ~$500 atm, so I don't know when I'm getting this but it is on my wishlist. I'm ditching my laptop for a desktop again and this fills my need of needing to write on the go without the baggage that comes from a full-featured operating system.

Google Pixel Watch

Not as big a Goog fan these days but I still vastly prefer their hardware for many reasons. Mostly it's a "first party" thing where I want the hardware from the same source as the software, and I'm not that compatible with Apple and Microsoft. Anyways, this will probably have a super underpowered CPU compared to the competition but hey I'm a Ninthing, I'm used to it. :derp Aside from that I'm looking forward to the Fitbit integration and having a read on my health for the first time years (I used to have a Misfit Shine for swimming, then a Fitbit Flex, but moving out of the big city I kinda stopped caring... now I'm in my 30s and I kinda want to be more aware again).

Also, I love the hardware design. The Apple Watch's square screen is puke-tastic garbage, fight me.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 07:36:07 PM by Tasty »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2022, 08:13:51 PM »
I don't mind the square screen. I bought the Series 3 though, and the lack of onboard memory basically demands an entire reinstall of everything after every OS update. :maf

Kindle Paperwhite is always nice. I have an ancient one, and it's lovely to read on, though I sometimes find its touch-sensing inconsistent.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2022, 08:17:18 PM »
Cool new tech I've bought recently or am planning on picking up soon:

Freewrite Traveller

A portable, clamshell eInk typewriter with cloud sync and pretty much nothing else. The price is a pretty outrageous ~$500 atm, so I don't know when I'm getting this but it is on my wishlist. I'm ditching my laptop for a desktop again and this fills my need of needing to write on the go without the baggage that comes from a full-featured operating system.

let me introduce you to the greatest hardware created by man:

The Jornada 720 was released in 2000. It featured 32 MB of RAM, a Compact Flash slot, a PC card slot, a Smart card slot, 56K Modem, 640x240 16-bit display, a 206 MHz StrongARM CPU, and has 9 hours of battery life. It ran under the Windows CE 3.0 based HPC2000.

I actually love this little thing, came out 7 years before netbooks did, in an even smaller form factor, with a full keyboard and touch capability and anything that works on Windows CE

I played NES roms on this with nice built-in hardware buttons unlike modern phones

I played nethack on it too with all the letters that game requires

way ahead of its time and still fun today if you can find a working one
Uncle

Potato

• Kipfler
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2022, 11:42:26 PM »
I've just gone from a Kindle 3G to the latest base model kindle with the front light.

I fucking hate touchscreen controls. GIVE ME BACK MY PHYSICAL BUTTONS BEZOS!!!!!!!!

Much nicer to have a lit screen though. Didn't think I would miss the free 3G connection as much as I do either. That was a nice addition and meant I could synch across devices much more easily.

I am probably going to get the Paperwhite once they put a new version out. My daughter has her eyes on this one.
Spud

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2022, 12:29:59 AM »
I've just gone from a Kindle 3G to the latest base model kindle with the front light.

I fucking hate touchscreen controls. GIVE ME BACK MY PHYSICAL BUTTONS BEZOS!!!!!!!!

Much nicer to have a lit screen though. Didn't think I would miss the free 3G connection as much as I do either. That was a nice addition and meant I could synch across devices much more easily.

I am probably going to get the Paperwhite once they put a new version out. My daughter has her eyes on this one.
Seriously, Next Page and Previous Page buttons seem like a damned no-brainer.

Cauliflower Of Love

• They/King/Queen
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2022, 02:17:12 AM »
 Been eyeing that remarkable for a while

my handwriting is so bad though