Author Topic: The Official Capeshit thread  (Read 12866 times)

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
Re: The Official Capeshit thread
« Reply #180 on: November 09, 2022, 12:19:28 PM »
First look at Iron Hearts armor is pretty  :crazy

Maybe it looks less like a Transformers Power ranger in the actual movie?

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #181 on: November 09, 2022, 12:40:04 PM »
looks like a ps2 game?
Uncle

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #182 on: November 19, 2022, 02:34:11 AM »
Heading in to see Black Panther 2. Did I wait a sufficiently long time to avoid crowding out black excellence?

Edit: Was ok. Probably about 60 minutes too long. Why don't Disney hire some better editors?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2022, 06:32:09 AM by Potato »
Spud

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #183 on: November 19, 2022, 06:32:56 AM »
First look at Iron Hearts armor is pretty  :crazy

Maybe it looks less like a Transformers Power ranger in the actual movie?
To answer your question, no it doesn't.
Spud

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #184 on: November 20, 2022, 04:53:01 PM »
Heading in to see Black Panther 2. Did I wait a sufficiently long time to avoid crowding out black excellence?

Edit: Was ok. Probably about 60 minutes too long. Why don't Disney hire some better editors?

Better ad returns.

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #185 on: November 20, 2022, 05:41:12 PM »
Saw this yesterday. Shit was just super dour. Letitia was unconvincing and uninteresting (also a TERF BITCH). Either of the other two leading ladies would’ve been a better choice for BP. I didn’t hate it, but I honestly liked Eternals better and I wouldn’t say that I’m a fan of that movie either lmao.

Capeshit movies shouldn’t be approaching three fucking hours unless they are actually y’know good and/or have something interesting to say (The Batman) or just have lots of plot lines to resolve (Endgame).
Margs

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #186 on: November 20, 2022, 07:13:16 PM »
Saw this yesterday. Shit was just super dour. Letitia was unconvincing and uninteresting (also a TERF BITCH). Either of the other two leading ladies would’ve been a better choice for BP. I didn’t hate it, but I honestly liked Eternals better and I wouldn’t say that I’m a fan of that movie either lmao.

Capeshit movies shouldn’t be approaching three fucking hours unless they are actually y’know good and/or have something interesting to say (The Batman) or just have lots of plot lines to resolve (Endgame).
Yeah, when you're making your woke agenda capeshit film, you gotta keep that hereditary monarchy thing going on.
Spud

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #187 on: November 20, 2022, 07:49:28 PM »
So you're saying that the film is bad because of its woke agenda but also criticizing it for not being woke enough because somehow it is hypocritical to not include anti-monarch wokeness?  I mean this makes complete sense since it is 1789, not 2022 and by including a power structure that is objectively bad they are actively promoting that structure and not just being comfortable with it because it's a fantasy show and everyone realizes that.

Like, look at these woke babies who can't handle anything that doesn't fit their little agenda but also look at them being hypocrites for not behaving like the babies I think they are about this thing I think they should behave like babies over because its the kind of thing they behave like babies over.  Right?

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #188 on: November 20, 2022, 10:14:12 PM »
No, I said the film was ok but too long. The woke shit I don't really care about but it is relevant to the choice of new BP and the existence of hereditary monarchy in Wakanda.
Spud

Polident Hive

« Reply #189 on: November 20, 2022, 11:57:44 PM »
Friend said it’s good but about 20% a commercial for other Marvel stuff, and retreading story from the first. But their hands were tied there. I liked the first movie. Appreciated it being its own deal. Unlike the last couple, I’ll watch it whenever it hits Disney plus.

Also watched about 10 minutes of a pirated Korean version of Black Adam while in line at a computer store. Every clip I’ve seen prior had The Rock and Hawkman fighting. But at least a ten minute interlude is the dynamic from Terminator 2. Kid is doing a bad Edward Furlong impression, somehow. And throwing up a diamond dallas page hand sign.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #190 on: November 21, 2022, 01:01:45 AM »
Their hands were not tied: they could’ve recast T’Challa after Boseman’s passing, just like is done with other beloved characters  whose previous actor is deceased.  Instead, Marvel did the actually-racist thing of treating this black character as “other” and different from others, and by proxy also insinuating that other black actors are incapable of portraying the talent shown by Chadwick Boseman.

It’s another example of big Hollywood tokenizing blackness and treating at as being outside of normal.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #191 on: November 21, 2022, 03:04:34 AM »
The mid-credits scene makes it abundantly clear that Shuri being BP is is only in the short term. If they make another, it won't be her in the mask outside of maybe the first 5 minutes.
Spud

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #192 on: November 21, 2022, 10:36:11 AM »
Why, is she gonna die too?

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #193 on: November 21, 2022, 02:35:10 PM »
Why, is she gonna die too?

spoiler (click to show/hide)
T'Challa's mystery son reveal
[close]
Spud

Tuckers Law

« Reply #195 on: November 21, 2022, 03:52:32 PM »
That sounds really stupid.  I guess it is capeshit though.

Polident Hive

« Reply #196 on: November 21, 2022, 08:06:53 PM »
Wait, that’s real?

when I heard it, I thought it was a joke about Fast and Furious. Dom had a secret son he named Brian. After the fictional character whose actor passed away. That actually happens here, too?
[close]

Hollywood is something else.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #197 on: November 21, 2022, 10:33:41 PM »
Wait, that’s real?

when I heard it, I thought it was a joke about Fast and Furious. Dom had a secret son he named Brian. After the fictional character whose actor passed away. That actually happens here, too?
[close]

Hollywood is something else.
Yes it's real

His name is T'Challa too
[close]

Despite what that shitrag Gizmodo says, it is in fact NOT the best post credits scene in Marvel history.
Spud

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #198 on: November 22, 2022, 07:37:55 AM »
Just recast the character.  They did it with the Hulk and War Machine, so I don't get what the problem is with doing this.  Give the role to Michael B. Jordan with the explanation that this is another version of him from the multiverse or he was magically resurrected by the panther gods or whatever.

They're going to have to recast all these roles eventually, anyway.  Not all of these actors are going to want to stick around.

I agree on the Fast And Furious Brian role, too- recast him.  It's not disrespectful to Paul Walker.  Need a storyline explanation? He had to change his face to get away from the bad guys.

The mid-credits scene makes it abundantly clear that Shuri being BP is is only in the short term. If they make another, it won't be her in the mask outside of maybe the first 5 minutes.

Isn't the character you're referring to a little kid?  I'd say "how is he going to be Black Panther," but I guess they could just age him up to a teenager or do some quantum realm time travel shit or something.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 07:42:40 AM by bork »
ど助平

Tuckers Law

« Reply #199 on: November 22, 2022, 11:32:42 AM »
Yeah but you see, if they had done that then they couldn’t exploit honor Chadwick’s real-life death within the movie for pity points from the audience.  Plus: it was her turn!  Too many men have dominated the hero roles in movies!

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #200 on: January 01, 2023, 04:25:15 PM »
When the next capeshit due to hit cinemas?
Spud

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #201 on: January 01, 2023, 05:52:15 PM »
When the next capeshit due to hit cinemas?

Ant-Mang featuring Bill Murray is out mid-February.
ど助平

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #202 on: January 02, 2023, 10:55:24 PM »
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-01-02/jeremy-renner-critical-table-condition-snow-ploughing-accident/101822542

Movie star Jeremy Renner, known for his role as Hawkeye in several Marvel blockbusters, has been seriously injured after an accident while ploughing snow, his representative says.
Spud

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #203 on: January 03, 2023, 10:02:22 AM »
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-01-02/jeremy-renner-critical-table-condition-snow-ploughing-accident/101822542

Movie star Jeremy Renner, known for his role as Hawkeye in several Marvel blockbusters, has been seriously injured after an accident while ploughing snow, his representative says.

:obama

worth it

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #204 on: January 03, 2023, 11:03:07 AM »
she's an amputee?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #205 on: January 05, 2023, 12:43:16 AM »
Finally getting back into THE BOYS, I am up to s2e7 finally. This is some amazing shit. Brutal to watch the public be yanked around so believably by the flimsiest of PR efforts when the dirt starts to slip out. It's always unsettling to see how fragile humans are whenever they're around superpowered individuals.

Anthony Starr is so convincing as Homelander, I forget about his range in Banshee, and how mellow and cool he is in the behind-the-scenes videos the production crew post.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #206 on: January 05, 2023, 04:58:36 AM »
The Boys can be absolutely brutally scathing with its satire

Tasty

« Reply #207 on: January 05, 2023, 04:39:58 PM »
*music stops*

"This is important!"

*giant banner unfurls with just "PEACE" written*

:dead

business_cat_i_should_watch_the_boys.jpg

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #208 on: January 05, 2023, 05:05:59 PM »
That's not even satire. It's just straight up "fuck you".
Spud

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #209 on: January 05, 2023, 05:21:48 PM »
thats lazy as fuck

it's a slight turn from that pepsi commerical those armenians got ripped apart for

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #210 on: January 31, 2023, 02:08:18 PM »
https://variety.com/2023/film/news/dc-universe-superman-legacy-batman-green-lantern-supergirl-booster-gold-1235507426/

Three months after James Gunn and Peter Safran officially started running the newly created DC Studios within Warner Bros. Discovery, the co-chiefs have announced the first 10 film and TV titles within the rebooted DC Universe.

On Monday, Gunn and Safran met with press on the Warner Bros. studio lot to present what they said was the first part of Chapter 1 of the DCU, which they are calling “Gods and Monsters.”

MOVIES
Superman: Legacy - “It focuses on Superman balancing his Kryptonian heritage with his human upbringing,” Safran said. “He is the embodiment of truth, justice and the American way. He is kindness in a world that thinks of kindness as old-fashioned.”

The Authority - “It isn’t just a story of heroes and villains, and not every movie and TV show is going to be about good guy versus bad guy,” Gunn said. “There are people that are very questionable, like the Authority, who basically believe that you can’t fix the world in an easy manner, and they take things into their own hands.”
Added Safran, “They’re kind of like Jack Nicholson in ‘A Few Good Men.’ They know that you want them on the wall, or at least they believe that.”

The Brave and the Bold - The project is based on the run of Batman comics authored by Grant Morrison, who Gunn said was “exceptionally influential” on the DCU. This version of Robin is Damian Wayne; Gunn described him as “our favorite Robin,” “a little son of a bitch,” an “assassin” and a “murderer.”

Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow - “We see the difference between Superman, who was sent to Earth and raised by loving parents from the time he’s an infant, versus Supergirl, who was raised on a rock chip off of Krypton, and watched everyone around her die and be killed in terrible ways for the first 14 years of her life.”

Swamp Thing - “Swamp Thing” will “investigate the dark origins of Swamp Thing,” Safran said, through the prism of horror.

TELEVISION
Creature Commandos - This animated series for HBO Max is the very first project greenlit by Safran and Gunn, who has written every episode.
The Creature Commando characters were first launched in 1980. The premise features Frankenstein’s monster teaming up with a werewolf, a vampire and a gorgon to fight Nazis in World War II. It doesn’t appear that Gunn’s version takes quite the same approach — Weasel, one of the characters from Gunn’s 2021 film “The Suicide Squad,” is one of the Commandos

Waller - With Gunn focused on “Superman: Legacy” for the foreseeable future, Season 2 of “Peacemaker” has been put on hold. Instead, “team ‘Peacemaker'” will appear alongside Davis as a “continuation” of that show, Gunn said — which (spoiler alert for Season 1 of “Peacemaker”)
ended with Waller’s daughter Leota Adebayo (Danielle Brooks) outing Task Force X (a.k.a. the Suicide Squad) and Waller’s role running it to the world.
[close]

Lanterns - Safran and Gunn seemed most excited for “Lanterns,” which Safran described as “a huge HBO-quality event” that is “very much in the vein of ‘True Detective.'”
The show will focus on two of the best known members of the Green Lantern corps.: Hal Jordan (the test pilot first played on screen by Ryan Reynolds in 2011’s “Green Lantern”) and John Stewart (an ex-marine and one of DC’s first Black superheroes), who investigate a mystery that Safran said “plays a really big role leading us into the main story that we’re telling across our film and television.”

Paradise Lost - This “‘Game of Thrones’-ish story,” Safran said, is set on the island of Themyscira before the birth of Diana (a.k.a. Wonder Woman).
“It’s really about the political intrigue behind a society of all women,” Safran said.

Booster Gold - Safran called Booster “a loser from the future who uses basic future technology to come back to today and pretend to be a superhero.”
In the 25th century, Mike is a disgraced former football star who uses a time machine on display in the Metropolis Space Museum.
Added Gunn, “Basically, ‘Booster Gold’ is imposter syndrome as a superhero.”

I really enjoyed Suicide Squad and Peacemaker :idont

Tasty

« Reply #211 on: January 31, 2023, 02:14:30 PM »
This version of Robin is Damian Wayne; Gunn described him as “our favorite Robin,”

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #212 on: January 31, 2023, 02:20:29 PM »
Gotta admit, that's a great lineup but totally not what I would have expected WBD to sign off on at all. Great opportunity to just bin the DCEU with all its legacy issues and start from near scratch and it's great that WBD looks willing to do that. As much as I loved what Snyder setup, we obviously can never go back and a clear vision is much better than what WB was trying to do after canning Snyder but being completely afraid to let anyone get away from what was already in the works. Wonder Woman thing sounds like they might allow that one more that was already intended/planned with Gadot/Jenkins and effectively reboot after it. Sounds like Aquaman is a similar position depending on how the upcoming film does. They sorta talked around The Flash and Miller but I can't imagine they do anything but maybe just throw it out there to recoup some of the costs. (Oops, Barry's lost in the Speedverse, guess we need a couple years with Wally West in the lead until Barry comes back looking not like Ezra at all)

I have no faith that Hollywood will not botch The Authority though. :lol
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 02:25:44 PM by benjipwns »

Tasty

« Reply #213 on: January 31, 2023, 02:24:36 PM »
Have I ever mentioned how much I hate the title "Gods and Monsters" for anything DC related?

benjipwns

« Reply #214 on: January 31, 2023, 02:27:30 PM »
Have I ever mentioned how much I hate the title "Gods and Monsters" for anything DC related?
I feel like there's a 75% chance they decided on this because they met a bunch of times in a room that had a poster for it on the wall.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #215 on: January 31, 2023, 02:36:22 PM »
I remain extremely skeptical, probably will stay that way until I hear positive word of mouth from people I trust on the finished products.  Their comparisons made are quite lofty, and in same cases seem odd (True Detective by way of Green Lantern?  What???), but I'll try not to hold that against them if they are legitimately trying for that level of quality.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #216 on: January 31, 2023, 02:37:32 PM »

Somewhere Brendan Fraser and Ian McKellen are now annoyed and not sure why.

benjipwns

« Reply #217 on: January 31, 2023, 02:41:50 PM »
Their comparisons made are quite lofty, and in same cases seem odd (True Detective by way of Green Lantern?  What???)
This actually isn't that crazy, Green Lantern books in recent times have been really focused on the "space cop" aspect of it. I had my complaints about Far Sector but it massively leaned in that direction. But mainstream Hal Jordan stuff has also focused on his (and other members of the Corps) role as a "wild west" type "sheriff" in their sectors. Grant Morrison (who seems to be a big well that Gunn went to) focused his entire run on this idea. The proposed series sounds a lot like Far Sector mashed up with The Green Lantern with John Stewart added as the buddy second cop.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #218 on: January 31, 2023, 02:43:37 PM »
I have no faith that Hollywood will not botch The Authority though. :lol

Whats so funny about truth justice and the american way would make a pretty good superman film for non comic bookers who think superman is inherently boring, especially if they use the actual authority instead of expies

Tuckers Law

« Reply #219 on: January 31, 2023, 02:45:22 PM »
Generally doing Green Lanterns as "Space Cops" is a good idea, I guess I just associate as the primary focus of True Detective not only with the attention-to-minute-detail cop procedural aspect, but also equally on the psychological tolls taken in the job.

benjipwns

« Reply #220 on: January 31, 2023, 02:47:59 PM »
Whats so funny about truth justice and the american way would make a pretty good superman film for non comic bookers who think superman is inherently boring, especially if they use the actual authority instead of expies
They did it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman_vs._The_Elite

I actually liked the Elite. Justice League: Elite was great. The Authority in the recent Superman and The Authority is less Authority and more the Elite.

Generally doing Green Lanterns as "Space Cops" is a good idea, I guess I just associate as the primary focus of True Detective not only with the attention-to-minute-detail cop procedural aspect, but also equally on the psychological tolls taken in the job.
That latter stuff has been in the Green Lantern runs! Think about having to establish "law" across an entire sector of space with who knows how many races with their own practices, etc. Green Lantern: Earth One also got into some of the aspects about the choices you have to make and how they can influence whole vast areas of space and beyond. The Guardians are mostly gone in recent stories so the Lanterns no longer "just follow orders" but have to make these decisions on their own and it weighs on them. There's been a number of resignations from the Corps related to this in them too. I can see the appeal of the idea and True Detective is an obvious reference to reach for.

Tasty

« Reply #221 on: January 31, 2023, 02:57:34 PM »
Faux outrage over Tim aside (let's be honest, he's always gonna be Draft Pick #4 when it comes to execs choosing Robins), having Robin on-screen and it not be a Chris O'Donnell outright joke is pretty exciting. Kick-Ass gave me a glimpse of what that could be like, and honestly, Damian's backstory justifies him crimefighting alongside his father better than the other three. I could see the "you have a secret assassion 9-year old, kthxbye" setup being accepted pretty well by mainstream audiences. The whole "ward" stuff with unrelated kids hasn't played well in a while and definitely wouldn't play well on today's Twitter.

Tasty

« Reply #222 on: January 31, 2023, 02:58:52 PM »
If Damian is the first Robin (and only) in this new DCU that's gonna be weeeeeeiiiiird but I'm probably here for it.

benjipwns

« Reply #223 on: January 31, 2023, 03:01:58 PM »
I can see them saying there were past Robins but not outlining anything immediately about it other than that they existed so they can at least get to Nightwing down the line. People are going to accept it because they know "Robin" and the idea that Damian wants to take up that mantle at his fathers side isn't something you'd need to explain or show.

An overlooked aspect of Snyder is how the only person after Superman he gave an origin story to was Cyborg and it was incredibly brief. Since I hate origin stories of super popular characters I hope this at least sticks from now on and DC mostly avoids it. Normies don't need you to show the origins over and over again to them, tell them it's Batman and they're good to go.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #224 on: January 31, 2023, 03:04:30 PM »
You're really selling me on the newer Lantern stuff (last thing I read was The Omega Men trade, which was eh okay), but I don't really trust modern DC and Marvel comics to write good stories.

benjipwns

« Reply #225 on: January 31, 2023, 03:12:05 PM »
You're really selling me on the newer Lantern stuff (last thing I read was The Omega Men trade, which was eh okay), but I don't really trust modern DC and Marvel comics to write good stories.
Grant Morrison's run has some dumb weird shit in it (it comes off as Morrison trying to deliberately write Morrison) but like the second issue or so has him doing an interrogation and talking about handling his case load while this certain case was pushed to the top of the stack. :lol

Tasty

« Reply #226 on: January 31, 2023, 03:14:44 PM »
benji gonna need a reading list for catching up on DC from Dark Knights to Dark Crisis.

Tasty

« Reply #227 on: January 31, 2023, 03:29:11 PM »
Also why the fuck did everything get "Dark" for a few years

Snyders love them some darkness shit I guess...

benjipwns

« Reply #228 on: January 31, 2023, 03:45:26 PM »
Really the post-Rebirth era has been allowing all the books to go their own way more than DC has allowed in quite some time, stuff tying together has been done by the writers themselves not editorial mandates. METAL spread because the writers wanted to join it and then Snyder used the sequel to properly reboot the Multiverse since Convergence/Rebirth hadn't really sketched out what that was supposed to be looking like now that everything was canon. Dark Crisis is basically the "fallout" from that and is undoing the original Crisis, it's being used as the jumping off point to bring back stuff that was already on its way back but hadn't been greenlit like JSA which Doomsday Clock brought back but nobody did anything with until Dark Crisis being an EVENT allows for the killing of titles and starting new ones. The whole arc of Infinite Frontier and stuff was really just an extended story between METAL and Dark Crisis that was like "oh look these guys are back" and "look multiverse is back again" and so on, it was mostly all unused characters and multiverse versions so nothing would interfere with the ongoing stories in all the books.

Since Rebirth it's really been more about reading the titles you want to read, very few of them had much of anything to do with the big events that were coming along. Justice League has been about the one exception to this for obvious reasons. Others like what happened to Wonder Woman was because the event writers backwrote to what her series had been doing as unintentionally leading to her role in the event, her getting involved with Justice League Dark and magic and everything was a step towards her elevation to the Quintessence, it obviously wasn't intentionally planned that way but it allowed Snyder the hook for her use in Death Metal. This has been a bit different from how DC had been doing things for some time, especially during the New 52, when entire arcs for each book had to halt and write themselves towards the events. Bendis did some of his stuff like this but nobody else was bothering with the stuff he was doing, in the past all of this would have been reflected in every other book rather than just being a Bendis-crossover. Some of his stuff later got "upgraded" by other writers as "actually, this was part of this thing but nobody knew it" but it's not like you had to be reading Bendis' stuff like DC had done things in the past.

Justice League Odyssey was a rather short, mostly self-contained series I quite liked that did some commentary on the idea of canon as reality within the DC Universe. I'm actually quite behind on most everything I would have normally read because those events were so self-contained, those have been about the only real DC stuff I've been reading. If I wasn't intentionally reading Tom King I'd be as behind with Batman as I am Wonder Woman which I was intentionally keeping up on at first too because she was part of Justice League Dark now.

But still from what I know I'd say this has been the easiest DC has been just read the series you like for a long time (Rebirth was 2016!) and as the crossovers and events come along you can pop into those and back to the series. You're not wondering at all what the fuck else has been going in the universe when Nightwing shows up with an eye patch and a hook for a hand and Deathstroke is yelling at him for stealing his daughter or whatever. For the most part when they've gotten to those things people get temporarily reset to a typical version of themselves or one that lasts just for the crossover/event so that the book doesn't have to diverge its internal plots unless it wants to. Superman pops in a lot to this stuff as just like Superman whereas he might be off on Warworld for an entire year or his son is Superman or something and it's just ignored during the event rather than trying to explain why he's suddenly available.

Tasty

« Reply #229 on: January 31, 2023, 04:09:12 PM »
Rebirth was so good.

DCYou was good too but I guess it bombed hard.

Seems like my general understanding of recent and current DC history is about right.

Right now I'm only reading Tim Drake: Robin. :heart

BTW if I wanted to binge the Absolutes for Metal, Dark COIE, and Death Metal, is DC Universe the best way? :thinking And would that get me all caught up from Rebirth/Doomsday Clock?

Polident Hive

« Reply #230 on: January 31, 2023, 06:03:39 PM »
Well, at least The Batman 2 is inoculated from the rest of this mess. That’s a silver lining.

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #231 on: January 31, 2023, 06:05:01 PM »
Also why the fuck did everything get "Dark" for a few years

Snyders love them some darkness shit I guess...

Bad studio lighting

benjipwns

« Reply #232 on: February 02, 2023, 01:53:03 AM »
Dark Crisis is basically the "fallout" from that and is undoing the original Crisis, it's being used as the jumping off point to bring back stuff that was already on its way back but hadn't been greenlit like JSA which Doomsday Clock brought back but nobody did anything with until Dark Crisis being an EVENT allows for the killing of titles and starting new ones. The whole arc of Infinite Frontier and stuff was really just an extended story between METAL and Dark Crisis that was like "oh look these guys are back" and "look multiverse is back again" and so on, it was mostly all unused characters and multiverse versions so nothing would interfere with the ongoing stories in all the books.
Completely forgot it was even happening until I saw the new issue this week but the Lazarus Planet crossover event thingy is doing the same exact thing, a whole bunch of characters just came back and there's a new Firestorm now and stuff. The LAZARUS in the title is related to Al Ghul's Lazarus Pits which is presumably why these characters are coming back but I don't know anything about the specifics involved.

Oh, and don't worry Tasty, one of the upcoming issues for that is titled "Lazarus Planet: Dark Fate" so they got it in there.

Tasty

« Reply #233 on: February 02, 2023, 01:58:34 AM »
Oh, and don't worry Tasty, one of the upcoming issues for that is titled "Lazarus Planet: Dark Fate" so they got it in there.
:social2

That (sub)title totally worked out for the worst garbage-ass Terminator film ever conceived by fucking distinguished mentally-challenged fellows.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #234 on: February 08, 2023, 01:03:54 AM »
Black Panther 2… yeah. Angela Bassett was great in it.

I watched this last night, and didn't much enjoy it.

Most of the actors-in-Wakanda shots felt like Star Wars Prequel composites, with sweeping camera motion and lighting that was just a little bit off.

Namor looked silly. Baron Zemo was a substantially more interesting villain than Namor. Val is a better villain in this film than the main villain. I mean, c'mon.

Dumb plot:
Namor showed up INSIDE Wakanda and threatened the Queen, telling her to do as he says or he'll wage war on her next. Wakanda just fought off Thanos. They're a nation of ass kickers with resources and technology. Why the fuck can't they break this pigeon-ankled fuckwad's Na'vi-looking forces? They're formidable, but so are the Wakandans.

Namor gave the vibranium detector to the Queen as a show-off move. Why?

Namor demanded Wakanda retrieve Riri, gives them a deadline, then goes directly in to interfere with it. At this point, Okoye and Shuri could still be working on fulfilling the deal, but Namor sends in a team and nearly kills the royal princess. Why?

Val bugged the Wakandan beads. Somehow I get the impression that Wakandan technology is about as hackable as Stark stuff. This was just weird. "I bugged your house and car" would have been so much easier.

Wakanda has a big boat, they decide to take on the Mayans in their own element. Sound disruption works great, but they immediately give up on it. Is it a water only weapon? Seems like the Mayans are susceptable to people tapping on the aquarium's glass.

Big mountain king guy shows up to challenge for the throne. This is just unresolved? Is there a point?
[close]

I know Wakanda is a separatist nation, but the moment the whole world is in the balance, it seems like an Avengers-level threat. I guess there aren't really any Avegengers to deal with it? But Riri is clearly being set up to be the next Iron Man, even if her costume and Okoye's Night Angel armor both look like Fortnite skins.

Stuff I liked:
Angela Basset is great.
Handling Chadwick's absence was touching, and the love for him can be felt throughout.
I would watch a Disney+ series of Okoye and Shuri traveling the land, solving problems.

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #235 on: February 08, 2023, 09:14:54 AM »
Killmonger was the best part of that movie.

Then again it's MBJ so what do you expect.

Bebpo

« Reply #236 on: February 15, 2023, 02:40:42 AM »
Wakanda Forever - Felt like a DC movie for a lot of it tbh. Like it was alright, but felt empty, emotionless and superficial, which is the opposite of what I would have expected from a BP send off film. Honestly I'm not sure if it was just the script or Coogler is stumbling on the directing. Danai Gurira stole the show as Okoye, Angela Basset was great, even Shuri, who I expected to dislike given her actress being an anti-vax, questionable takes person and character which barely was developed in BP1, was fine even if she's less charasmatic than Boseman was. Namor was good even if he's so different from the comic it didn't even feel like the same character. It looked nice.

But it was really long and had very few highs and so it felt dragging for most of the middle of it. Ironheart was completely out of place and felt like a Disney+ reject goofy one-liner character that had no business being in a serious Wakanda film. Namorita was nothing, as was anyone else on Namor's side. I think it had too many characters it was trying to juggle and a shorter film smaller film that was strictly about Shuri and Namor and juxtaposing them and a personal film like BP1's Killmonger faceoff probably would've worked better.

Also Winston Duke was totally wasted in this one.

Was fine, The film is weird in that even if they cut it down and edited it around I don't know if there's a truly great movie in there to salvage or the concept was just never going to work that well. Can't blame them since obviously Boseman's passing through a wrench in the whole thing, but as is, it sorta continues the MCU trend of everything being just "fine" and lacking any greatness or impact for a while. And now Ant-Man 3 reviews are bad and the MCU just seems stumbling around these days. Not sure why I would pay to see any of these in the theater vs catching them on Disney+ for a few bucks three months later.

Bebpo

« Reply #237 on: February 15, 2023, 03:02:37 AM »
Also, kind of feel like the only good characters to come out of MCU phase four are: Shang-Chi, Kate Bishop, Yelena, She-Hulk and Ms. Marvel (though in Ms. Marvel's case her show sucked and her powers suck [probably due to show budget] but her character's fun). Now give me a Shang-Chi x Kate Bishop team up movie or something.

I'll throw in Kang too, mostly because Majors did great work in Loki and it sounds like he does it again in Ant-Man.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #238 on: February 16, 2023, 02:52:08 AM »
Not sure why I would pay to see any of these in the theater vs catching them on Disney+ for a few bucks three months later.

Because they benefit from remarkable audio presentation and a fantastic screen. I wish I'd seen  Love and Thunder in a theater.

Bebpo

« Reply #239 on: February 17, 2023, 03:55:34 PM »
Reading the ant-man impressions, sounds like same issue that the last Thor had. Just like how Bale was a serious antagonist who was really good but constantly undermined by "it's a goofy silly comedy har har har", Majors' Kang is supposedly a great antagonists constantly undermined by the movie being a "goofy silly har har har comedy"

:-\

Well, hopefully Majors' gets a good movie to shine in with Kang Dynasty.

Also maybe Marvel should look at their MCU and cut back a bit on the quips every.fucking.movie. Because some don't need constant quips every 2 minutes.