Author Topic: Xenoblade Chronicles 3: It's pretty good  (Read 9106 times)

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Re: Xenoblade Chronicles 3: It's pretty good
« Reply #120 on: August 23, 2022, 03:58:44 AM »
There is more yet
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #121 on: August 23, 2022, 05:17:16 AM »
There is more yet

This sea thing is cool but holy fuck the amount of fog of war you clear on the map is awful.

The amount of work to fully map out this region 100% is going to be a fucking full time job. May not bother. Fog of war uncovering really needs to be greatly expanded in

spoiler (click to show/hide)
The boat
[close]

Bebpo

« Reply #122 on: August 23, 2022, 09:09:01 PM »
Yeah, I think I'm burnt out on this at 70 hours. Got a ton of city sidequests to do and that sea region is gonna take forever to fully explore and find everything. It's a bit too big open and unfocused with terrible mapping this far in.

Might just do the main story and finish it up and come back later for the DLC.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2022, 09:13:53 PM by Bebpo »

« Reply #123 on: August 24, 2022, 12:11:04 AM »
You don't have to manually uncover all the map. If you find all the locations, the rest of the map fills up. Just go from island to island and eventually it will fill itself.

Bebpo

« Reply #124 on: August 24, 2022, 12:12:54 AM »
You don't have to manually uncover all the map. If you find all the locations, the rest of the map fills up. Just go from island to island and eventually it will fill itself.

WAT

Bebpo

« Reply #125 on: August 24, 2022, 12:13:19 AM »
Does that apply to every map in the game?

I've been walking along the edges of every map filling them out 100% manually this whole game so far.

Bebpo

« Reply #126 on: August 24, 2022, 12:14:36 AM »
Also can we talk about how the

Ch.5
boat has terrible controls. Like holy shit is that thing sluggish. Why is Monolithsoft having issues here, they did driving and flying mechs just fine in X?
[close]

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #127 on: August 24, 2022, 03:43:50 AM »

I sincerely wish you didn't say this. Should've waited with this bombshell till he's done with the game.

« Reply #128 on: August 24, 2022, 04:07:41 AM »
Lolololol, I learned that the hard way with the original Eryth Sea in 2012  :lol :lol :lol :lol

And it works for every map. You'll even get one of the characters saying "We've seen it all!" when you open the map screen.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #129 on: August 24, 2022, 02:02:11 PM »
So is this story really about the older generation using and abusing the younger generation? That seems to be it.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #130 on: August 24, 2022, 05:24:40 PM »
Not really, no
fat

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #131 on: August 24, 2022, 06:44:09 PM »
This game is about an American exchange student named Sena who visits the UK and joins her new classmates on a cruise to Australia.  :gbcry
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #132 on: August 24, 2022, 07:14:17 PM »
Sena talks different in the English dub? How does that even make sense given the setting.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #133 on: August 24, 2022, 08:02:24 PM »
In case this is some kind of spoiler-

It looks characters who are
Blades or descended from Blades
[close]
speak with an American accent?
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #134 on: August 24, 2022, 08:14:41 PM »
I see. Yeah that's a spoiler, but not a big deal since the connections are all pretty whatever.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #135 on: August 25, 2022, 12:35:43 PM »
Holy shit

:tocry :preach :whew :titus :info :pika

Takahashi da gawd :lawd

So is this story really about the older generation using and abusing the younger generation? That seems to be it.
No, this story is about a furry fetish getting way out of hand
« Last Edit: August 25, 2022, 01:26:06 PM by Nintex »
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #136 on: August 27, 2022, 02:03:21 AM »
Feels like most people who drop off this do at ch.5, it's like until then there's a story goal to get to a spot and see where the plot/game goes next.

Then nothing much happens and there's a less interesting goal set and a big area and motivation to continue just kinda dies out.

I guess I was hoping when I got to the sword for a big shake up like a new 2nd world map or something interesting.

I'm still playing like 30-60mins a day doing a quest or two, but honestly I'm pretty bored and ready to move on to a new game. There really isn't anything in the story, characters, world, or gameplay keeping my interest at this point. Each chapter just feels more of the same.

Plot better kickoff after this next castle.

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
« Reply #137 on: August 27, 2022, 04:52:52 AM »
In case this is some kind of spoiler-

It looks characters who are
Blades or descended from Blades
[close]
speak with an American accent?
Similar to Xeno 2 there.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #138 on: August 27, 2022, 07:26:43 AM »

If you want to learn more about the plot just head straight for the Agnus castle and the end of chapter 5, the side stuff is there after the castle too plus the sea will be easier to travel with additional fast travel locations.

🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #139 on: August 27, 2022, 03:03:47 PM »

If you want to learn more about the plot just head straight for the Agnus castle and the end of chapter 5, the side stuff is there after the castle too plus the sea will be easier to travel with additional fast travel locations.

Eh, it's not that I want to know more about the story. It's that I want a decently motivating goal to be heading towards. Otherwise it's like who gives a fuck about the story, might as well just fuck around doing sidequests and exploring since that's more interesting and fun.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #140 on: August 27, 2022, 03:22:26 PM »

Eh, it's not that I want to know more about the story. It's that I want a decently motivating goal to be heading towards. Otherwise it's like who gives a fuck about the story, might as well just fuck around doing sidequests and exploring since that's more interesting and fun.
Well, after the castle you also get more to explore and do.

Basically at level ~50 head for the castle. Unless you haven't found the pirate yet, then find the pirate first.
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #141 on: August 27, 2022, 09:53:10 PM »
Soul Hacker blue mage job is interesting, but having to re-fight all the unique's you've fought is kinda ehhhh.

This game definitely is pretty grind for some of the optional stuff. Still haven't finished the quest that needs 15 rare agnus mech drops. Even with food to boost drop rate takes forever.

Well, after the castle you also get more to explore and do.

Basically at level ~50 head for the castle. Unless you haven't found the pirate yet, then find the pirate first.

I'm ~lvl.70 now and still have like half the ocean to check out. Is 99 max level?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 10:13:35 PM by Bebpo »

« Reply #142 on: August 27, 2022, 10:41:01 PM »
Not only do you have to re-fight all the unique monsters, but you need a Soulhacker in your party. I fucking hate that class. Maybe one day I'll build it up, but for now, I'm focusing on ascension quests and making Sena have 99% crit rate.

Bebpo

« Reply #143 on: August 28, 2022, 05:23:59 AM »
Played like 7 hours straight tonight and got back into it. Over half the sea done. Might finish up the chapter tomorrow.

I feel like XB3 has the weakest/lightest story in a Xeno game ever, but there’s lots of good side stories filling out the world and making the characters and stuff enjoyable.

But goddamn there really is like no story in this game unless the entire thing is backloaded. XB2’s story was meh but at least it had a plot with characters and things moving. XB3 feels more like a wrpg where the main story questline is like 6 hours long and the game is 150 hours of side stuff and exploring. The previous Xenoblade games were definitely not structured like this. Even in XB2 side stuff was just the occasional side thing while going down the main plotline. This is like 90% side stuff with an occasional main plot line advancement.

Also the writing itself is pretty bad in this game. The characters are so stupid and have to have everything spelled out to them in long cutscenes because they are too dumb too figure out anything. Also has the Metal Gear Syndrome where someone says a word and they repeat it as a question. Just really weak stereotypical Japanese game writing in XB3.

A good example of this is Eunie hero story

like they can’t figure out that moebius destroys the gold ranks and need a five minute cutscene of X explaining it to them and the party is continually shocked at these revelations. This happens over and over the entire game. I wish these kids weren’t so brain dead.
[close]

Enjoyed Gray’s hero story.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #144 on: August 28, 2022, 06:24:49 AM »
What they don't explain very well is that these kids are really dumb, because all they've been trained for is fighting and their specific tasks or roles.
Enemies and friends (especially from the city) often make comments about how stupid they are. This is also why they have 'discussions' to put one and two together.

As for the pacing, it seems to be up to the player on how you play it.
From what I can tell the optimal way to play is to not 100% grind through every area from the get go but progress through the story and unlock the heroes first and return later for the areas with higher level requirements.
And then it basically goes like this story wise:
Ch1: lvl 01 - 10
Ch2: lvl 10 - 20
Ch3: lvl 20 - 30
Ch4: lvl 30 - 40
Ch5: lvl 40 - 50
etc.

I'm used to 90's Square RPG's and Zelda's too, where I first need to 'complete' an area before moving on to the next one, but that is not how these type of single player MMO games work.
This basically gives you the option to do a ton of sidequests and grind, mix it up a little or just follow the story and ignore all the side quests.
Outside of a few strong enemies I haven't seen anything that would stop you from progressing the story in XB3 compared to all the progress blocks built into XB2.
In XB2 you needed to summon a certain type of blade or unlock a certain skill, basically forcing the player to do side stuff to level-up and unlock field skills.

What I miss most is the ability to put markers on the map so I can return later to fight stronger monsters or explore paths I might've missed.
🤴

« Reply #145 on: August 28, 2022, 08:39:10 AM »
The writing on the ascension quests is all over the place. Some of them are completely DUMB AS HELL and incredibly boring, but others are quite good.

Zeon
This one is so bad and miserable. You just have to go from cutscene to cutscene to talk about fucking potatoes. It's really endless. I ended up skipping all the cutscenes.
[close]

Ashera
I really loved this one. Ties into a lot of the worldbuilding stuff, especially with Eunie's storyline. Nice conclusion as well and explains the reason why Ashera behaves the way she does.
[close]

Ghondor
Again, so fucking dumb. What a horrible character. I skipped all the cutscenes.
[close]

Gray
Very good story. Probably should have been part of the main quest. Loved getting more details on how The City's politics work and their factions and internal struggles. Am not a fan of him taking off his mask and eyepatch though, wish he kept it.
[close]

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #146 on: August 28, 2022, 10:36:11 AM »
Wait, they all have ascension quests? I thought it was just the starter classes.

Just how big is this game  :pika
🤴

Rahxephon91

« Reply #147 on: August 28, 2022, 11:19:45 AM »
This game is too long and too Grundy. I’m just going to rush to the ending at this point. I’m at 65 hours and don’t want to spend 30 more hours doing the hero quests for every character.

Bebpo

« Reply #148 on: August 28, 2022, 02:55:47 PM »
Wait, they all have ascension quests? I thought it was just the starter classes.

How else do you think you'd get the classes to 20? lol

« Reply #149 on: August 28, 2022, 09:18:54 PM »
If you click on the hero in the hero roster menu, it tells you which quest or which location to start their ascension quest. It's some of my favourite content in the game and super nice to get some of the crazier classes to rank 20. Mixing the crit chance skills from Swordfighter with the damage increase from Thaumaturge and the crit damage from Incurser. Sena hits so hard and so fast but draws more aggro than all characters combined and immediately dies. I love it.

Bebpo

« Reply #150 on: August 28, 2022, 09:51:23 PM »
Yeah, at the prison camp, 78 hours in, lvl.75 party, having done pretty much everything 100%, you ask me what is the best part of XB3 it's not even a question, it's the sidequests.

The sidequests are fun stories that most importantly fill out the world map they've created and give actual NPCs and characters and stories to the setting which otherwise the main quest sorely lacks.

Without sidequests, XB3 would be a dreadful game. But there are tons and tons of sidequests thankfully and they make the game work. The ascension quests are just bigger production sidequests that are a bit longer, fully voiced, and tend to take you to a new area. So they take what's already a good thing with the sidequests and just are even better sidequests (mostly). Plus they unlock extra gameplay stuff on top of it.

Bebpo

« Reply #151 on: August 29, 2022, 01:24:28 AM »
The cutscenes at the end of the prison camp were like an hour long holy shit I should've made a sandwich instead of watching this.

This game really needs shorter cutscenes. We're back to Xenosaga Ep1 cutscene length except without the good story/writing.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #152 on: August 29, 2022, 04:51:41 AM »
It was a lot to take in but I thought it was really awesome

chapter 5 ending spoilers
The M/Mio Switch is certainly something I didn't see coming. Plus all the alternate endings of Noah's path. Mio giving birth, her death, his own death while holding the hand of his kid... emotional rollercoaster.
[close]

chapter 5 ending spoilers + XB1 ending spoilers
The only thing that felt lacking is that there's no consequence of Mio switching bodies. I thought she would get an artificial body like Fiona did in XB1 or that she had to keep killing to keep her Mobius body from decaying. But the only change is her haircut and receiving M's memories.  :doge
[close]

early chapter 6 spoilers
What is very confusing is the timespan everything takes place in though. Noah is shown the place where the original city was that N destroyed and that seemed to have happened generations ago.

Ghondor gets the Cloudkeep key from Nia before she goes to sleep however but Ghondor isn't that old so Nia must've gone to sleep at best a few years prior to Noah reaching Swordmarch. So Nia was working with Moebius all this time or already fighting Keves before Moebius took over? I guess I figure that out once I find Nia. 
:idont
[close]

For me after chapter 5 the game has surpassed Xenoblade 1 for the time being. I don't mind the cut scenes either, they're well directed with beautiful music and visually the best thing I've ever seen on a Switch.
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #153 on: August 29, 2022, 12:37:52 PM »
Yeah, in ch.6 proper now. That was like 4 hours of cutscenes jeez. A lot of it was good, but some of it dragged hard like the prison camp fight. Also the writing is a mix of good and people acting anime stupid.

At least there's more of a story now. Seems like the majority of XB3's story is the backstories of everyone. The main plot like XB1-3 is pretty simple and straightforward shounen action. That's basically what separates Xenoblade series from earlier Xeno stories, straight forward plots instead of mysterious plots with lots of twists and turns.

Except X, X had no plot so kinda hard to tell.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #154 on: August 29, 2022, 12:47:01 PM »
It only gets worse, don't worry
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #155 on: August 30, 2022, 12:23:13 AM »
Chapter 6

It's a shame the Agnian castle is such a tiny nothing area.

Has the best city/town theme in the game so far, similar to the XB2 holy flying city. Wish Agnian castle was more like The City in size.
[close]

Bebpo

« Reply #156 on: August 30, 2022, 01:32:24 AM »
I think in general though this might be the best Xenoblade OST but used the worst. There's so many great tracks on their own, but it just seems so random how they're used.

Like the desert sub-area day theme early on in Fornis is all menacing and stuff like it'd be good for a major serious story area instead of an optional pretty plain desert.

Also this game has the worst audio mixing I've ever heard in a game. During cutscenes, at least with JPN VA track, the music at times is like 10x louder than the voices/sound effects and drowns everything out. It's totally bizarre.

Bebpo

« Reply #157 on: August 30, 2022, 02:38:34 AM »
Also the city track is a Nier b-side  :lol

Rahxephon91

« Reply #158 on: August 30, 2022, 01:41:31 PM »
I feel like this final dungeon is like 10 hours itself.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #159 on: August 30, 2022, 01:50:40 PM »
Also the city track is a Nier b-side  :lol
yeah lot of NIER vibes in this game overall
🤴

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #160 on: August 30, 2022, 01:58:37 PM »
Nearing 20 hours, still in early chapter 3. It's hard for me to tell what is side content vs. Main quest stuff. Feels more like Rockstar open world mission points vs. traditional  JRPG progression.

Game is pretty good, a lot of that does hinge on vibing with the characters and tone of the game I'd say. Gameplay is repetitive but very satisfying/addictive.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 02:30:28 PM by mormapope »
OH!

Bebpo

« Reply #161 on: August 30, 2022, 03:25:11 PM »
I feel like this final dungeon is like 10 hours itself.

Fwiw, in ch.5 I switched the difficulty to easy and am running around 20-30 levels above everything and it's honestly made the gameplay-side much more enjoyable since normal fights kill enemies in the first 3 hits and everything blue/unique/story still takes a bit but goes pretty quick. Plus you can fight stuff way over your level and get great xp/cp payout. I'm lvl.75 party and was taking on lvl.85 blue enemies and gaining like 1,200 CP per fight.

I also never bother with chain attacks and sitting through them unless I'm fighting something that's gonna pay out like 100+CP so I wanna get that 800% modifier on the overkill. It's nice not needing the damage and so I don't have to sit through the same long animations a million times.

I've got no shame about it. I'm not a huge fan of the battle system (it's decent at best) and I don't want to spend the time to micro-manage min-max all the accessories/arts/skills/gems every time I change jobs, so this makes it a lot more fun. Maybe after I have everyone mastered every job to rank 20 and I can stop switching jobs every 20 mins and can actually just sit down and plan out an efficient team it'll be fun to turn the difficulty up to hard and challenge myself. But for now I'm good.

Really enjoying the street fighter Ryu job. Just dragon punching the shit out of everything in my way.

One of the issues I still have with the battle system that seems dumb by design is if I play as an attacker job like that and run up and start off with my arts, if I'm fighting an enemy that doesn't die in 5 seconds the next thing that happens is they kill my Noah because the tank AI is too late to come in and try to grab the aggro off my initial attacks. Even with the gems that are like START BATTLE WITH ALL AGGRO. It really seems like a flaw in the system that you can't tell your team to attack an enemy without your controlled character starting the fight and your controlled character starting the fight means you always start with aggro which is bad when you're not a defender. You should just be able to hit start fight button and then your AI tank grabs aggro and the fight begins.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 03:36:31 PM by Bebpo »

Rahxephon91

« Reply #162 on: September 01, 2022, 12:49:48 AM »
Ok at 88 hours finally finished.

It was pretty bad. One of the lamest games I’ve played with a pretty awful story. Very confused by this one.

Bebpo

« Reply #163 on: September 01, 2022, 12:56:03 AM »
At least by this point you know what you're getting into with the next one and can skip it and save 80+ hours better spent on other rpgs you'd enjoy more.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #164 on: September 01, 2022, 02:10:55 PM »
We all know I will play a Xenoblade 4.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #165 on: September 01, 2022, 02:25:22 PM »
Xenoblade 1 & 2 are great, why would I skip 4 because 3rd completely piss and shit all over the series? Xenosaga had it's own issues but people still cum over the third game

Also you only spend 80+hrs on the bullshit garbage sidequests and filing the map. The game literally lets you get free levels at the camp, why bother doing the bullshit

My endgame time was like 50 hours
fat

Rahxephon91

« Reply #166 on: September 01, 2022, 02:53:52 PM »
If you don’t do the Hero stuff you have like no game it seems.

Bebpo

« Reply #167 on: September 01, 2022, 03:59:14 PM »
Xenoblade 1 & 2 are great, why would I skip 4 because 3rd completely piss and shit all over the series? Xenosaga had it's own issues but people still cum over the third game

Also you only spend 80+hrs on the bullshit garbage sidequests and filing the map. The game literally lets you get free levels at the camp, why bother doing the bullshit

My endgame time was like 50 hours

I think XB2 does a few things better, but even where I am in ch.6 XB3 is a much better game than XB2.

The cast in XB2 was way shittier, the combat was even worse, the blade gacha and field skills and blade leveling was more of a grind than anything in XB3.
The story may have been better (can't tell yet), and the world is way more interesting looking to explore, and pacing is probably better.
Music in XB2/3 are probably about on par and game balance is total shit in both of them.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #168 on: September 01, 2022, 05:49:45 PM »

The hero stuff is dumb as dirt, and there's no benefit to getting Level 20 lol

Just more frivolous shit, did I mention I hate job systems
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #169 on: September 01, 2022, 06:01:55 PM »
Just more frivolous shit, did I mention I hate job systems

All of them or just XB3?

Because I like good job systems like FF5 or even FF3, but XB3's job system is pretty sucky.

The main benefit of getting to rank 20 is just because your stats get better each rank so the jobs get stronger. The cross-skills/arts are like 80% useless because of the way it's set up. Also it adds some combat variety switching up your party's jobs regularly.

But yeah, XB3's job system sucks. If the game didn't have it, it wouldn't be any worse and would potentially be better depending on how they did it.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #170 on: September 01, 2022, 06:30:04 PM »
A job system like Zodiac Age would have been great.

Bebpo

« Reply #171 on: September 01, 2022, 06:39:26 PM »
Also Demi, if you skipped most of the sidequests you basically missed the best content in the game. XB3 has great sidequests and dozens and dozens of them. They're the main content to fill out these otherwise huge and empty maps & towns since the story just blows through the maps.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #172 on: September 01, 2022, 06:50:20 PM »
Majority of the quests were back and forth, growing potatoes, killing bad guy, the end

I doubt I missed anything that would help fill in the gaps of the awful story
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #173 on: September 02, 2022, 05:01:29 PM »
Majority of the quests were back and forth, growing potatoes, killing bad guy, the end

I doubt I missed anything that would help fill in the gaps of the awful story

It's more about the character development for the main cast and NPCs.

I'm running around in ch.6 having picked up another 20 or something sidequests like I pick up every chapter and going around doing them the game is a 9/10 right now and I really like it. Whenever I get back to the main story I definitely enjoy the game less. The sidequesting is just a whole ton of slice of life episodes about the people in this world which develops the world.

It also helps when you've mapped everything out so you can just fast travel spot to spot on sidequests (though whole hitting start to go to the nearest fast travel point for the next objective is one of the few smart QoL features in XB3). So the sidequests are short and painless (unless they need you to grind mats) and just fun stories.

For the DLCs coming up before the expansion, rather than adding new heroes with their questline I'd honestly rather have quest packs of just adding like 20 new standard quests from random NPCs every few months. The hero quests might be fun, but it'll be like a 30 min pick up the game and go do 1-2 quests and then nothing until the next drop.

I'm pretty curious what the DLC expansion will be like this time around. Torna was like 50% XB2's gameplay systems and 50% its own thing. XB3 incorporates a bunch from Torna (not to mention Agnes is like entirely the Torna aesthetic) for instance.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #174 on: September 02, 2022, 05:17:29 PM »
The teaser graphic for the Expansion Pass DLC is the 3 Xenoblade Swords and they will add 2 new Heroes and quests to the main game.
My guess would be that they add another 2 colonies. I bet the 1st new Hero is a character that relates to Xenoblade 1 and the second character is tied to Xenoblade 2.

🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #175 on: September 03, 2022, 01:43:16 PM »
Man this game is just like NIER sometimes punching you in the dick literally, destroying all your hopes and dreams in the process :tocry
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #176 on: September 04, 2022, 06:09:47 AM »
Anyway, seems like the first time in a long while I have to go side-question because I'm not strong enough to beat a boss.

ch 6. spoiler
The D+J fight in the cloudkeep. Although my strategy was faulty too, having Mio and Noah as tanks, so when they Interlink all the defense is gone.

Hopefully they pull some Dragonball shit with Nia  :cry
[close]
🤴

Rahxephon91

« Reply #177 on: September 04, 2022, 04:56:09 PM »
I've been a fan of the Xeno games since I was 13 when I played Gears after watching Eva. The perfect age for this shit to leave an impact on me. After that I played the Saga games and while not my favorites I still found them interesting. They were a little pretentious and could fall under the weight of their waxing of philosophy, but hey robots.

I liked Xenoblade 1 because it came at the right time and felt like a jrpg that felt modern, yet still contained a very genuine jrpg feeling.

I did not like Xenoblade 2 as I felt its aesthetics were all over the place, the world was unimaginative and smaller, and the harem romance was pathetic.

I was cautious for Xenoblade 3 because its aesthetics were also not to my liking. Now to be fair, I do not think this game has the same level of garbage as 2.

No my problems with it are I think the story is very bad and the game as a whole is very stale.

I've seen a lot of praise for the story and characters. Quite frankly, this confuses me. What story? What characters? The cast in this game is likable yes, but largely irrelevant. Take out everyone save Mio and Noah and nothing is really lost. Most of the cast has no real importance. They have character arcs I guess, but they are the most thinly written and so whatever that it's nothing to talk about. Also, they aren't woven through the narrative well, to the point I wonder if they exist. If they do exists they can probably be summed up as "character learns to be less..." insert negative trait". Glasses dude in accordance to his "I'm the stand-offish glasses dude" character design I guess warms up, and becomes less stand offish. The big dude who is rough becomes less rough and warms up. None of this is compelling, it's all very one note. It's not done interestingly. It's not interwoven into the plot. When I think Tales games integrate the characters into the actual story better, you've fucked up. And they do. When the traitor character has a change of heart, it's usually tied to the plot, and their character development impacts or is impacted by the plot. Here I'm not even sure the characters did anything beyond spouting the same nonsense about "the world needs to change or whatever". Senna had some "this is all a façade" development that quickly fell by the wayside and felt more like the game stopped at a gas station for a second, before quickly carrying on. These characters are personable, but there's no real character here and nothing to really latch on to and feel like anything happen. That's what all the "character stories" feel like. They all feel like the game stops for a second for the character to pontificate before moving on. Like it pauses and the story stops for a second, but then again what story?

At no point for me did this premise feel earned. What I mean is at no point did it make any sense. The story feels like a loose connection of crazy ideas that offer no synergy or anything.

So our characters are involved in some forever war that quite honestly makes no sense. If the story is about not being afraid of change and life must go on, then the war is so poorly woven into that theme. It's not like you get a real feel for the mundane as honestly, this part doesn't last long. I would figure a story that wants to use this premise in its theme would focus initially on how mundane and routine it all is. You'd also have the characters further represent that mundane routine. Sadly, it also comes off as pretty silly. None of the characters feel like soldiers or talk like them.  Making it hard to connect from the get-go. They are anime teens and not even written convincingly to help sell the reality of the story. The world doesn't feel stagnant and I never feel like it conveys anything like this, beyond the war giving the impression it's one of manipulation. But even dramas like even the recent anime 86, do things outside in the world building to make it creepy, to sell the feeling. Here I guess you have dumb-looking villains come in and say lame evil dialogue. It's not engaging.

Then the teens are given a call to adventure and that's fine. I love the first battle theme. It feels like this youthful adventure for answers. You're on a journey to the city. It feels like a YA novel, but YA novels have trials and tribulations between the characters. That doesn't happen. Honestly, this is a rather painless journey. A good jrpg would have had little "morality plays" or "character episodes" for the cast to have some trails and chances for growth along the way. I guess the side quests are supposed to fill that whole, but rarely did I feel they offered anything of substance.

Then a friend that was dead come back and taunts you with "oh you don't understand hahahah". There's some talk of despair or whatever. It's all lame shit, we've all seen before. The story has no energy or pace with it.

Then Not Noah shows up and is hammy and lame in his villainy. There's a dumb cutscene between two elite characters I don't care about and why should I care about any of this?  I didn't feel like there's a story that is building to things and using actual storytelling to do anything here. We find the Queens are fake(surprise not really as we already know this whole thing is wrong) and that everyone are clones.  I guess the clones are an interesting aspect If the story hammered the themes of an older generation wanting to manipulate the younger. Then I can connect to the themes and what the plot is putting out. See where some of these story mechanics fit. As the villains( the consuls) are always presented as being older and watching from afar almost as if the war is entertainment. The whole flame clock thing reminded me of points in a multiplayer game. So I could see the story being somewhat meta. This clone war is just mindless fun for these frankly lame villains. The young people are shit out and put through the wringer by the people in charge. Ok that's something.  But thats not really what the story leans into. Instead, it becomes this typical don't be afraid of change. Yes, that subtext is still kind of there., but the story wants to focus on something else that to me makes no sense with the premise it started with.

What the fuck does a forever war powered by teen clones connect to let's keep the status quo? If someone could create a world they could change why would it be something like this?

In the Matrix the reveal and function of the world are believable. It makes sense they would create a 90s world for humanity. It works with the themes of control and the nature of reality the movie is about.

In FFX the reveal of the truth is built into the narrative and themes. Death and its inevitability of it are woven into all aspects of the story. From Yuna's character to how cities are built.

What is the battle world's function in the story beyond the flame clock aspect and that Mobius feeds off the lifeforce? What does the forever war do for the themes of the story? And how does the battle world connect to THESE PEOPLE WANT THE WORLD TO STAY THE SAME.

In the Matrix the fake world connects to themes of control. We created a world you would find believable in order to make you submit and since it's a world you'd actually want you do even when knowing the truth.

In FFX, this is the cycle. This is just how our world works and it's comforting in some way, but also maybe the establishment also feels the situation is hopeless and likes that status quo.

in Xb3 we created a forever war to feed off you and I guess the consuls get off on it? Compelling. Like I just don't see how this connects to the overarching plot. Again it just seems like a bunch of ieas just strung together with no crafting of an actual story. Like a writer looking for cool concepts, but not really thinking how they fit in the story they want to tell.

Mostly because to me the story just feels like a hodgepodge of whatever. N and M are revealed to be older versions that have tried to constantly change things before giving up. It's a Madoka twist that doesn't work because I don't care about N and it's so obvious he is wrong and has no point. In the end, he just comes off as whiny and melodramatic.

The whole game feels like it just wants to hit you over the head with emotional drama, but again at no point does it feel earned. Few of these characters and plot points have had anything that builds to these emotional moments. Just playing constant sad music does nothing when none of this is earned. Oh boy N and M had a kid. Ok and? Whats N;

I don't care about Z because he's a lame villain. Fine, he wants the world to stay the same? Why? What's great about this world? It's just battle world and why in any wisdom would someone create this world? "the everlasting now is what makind wants' or whatever the line is falls flat when you've created an unbelievable premise of a world.

Because then it's also that these are two worlds from the previous games merged and I'm like where did this stupid forever war come from? When you read these plots it doesn't sound like a story with a point. How do these all gel together to create a cohesive story and world? What does this reveal do for the story?

I sure don't understand why Melia and Nia are here. Just shallow fan service? A shallow connection. How do these worlds work? What does any of this really mean? What is this story?

If Z is the manifestation of people's desires to stay the same powered by EA Origin, how did that happen and why? To what ends did he create a nonsense world other than I guess to feed on their teen clone army they make. Who came up with this system and why? If you have the memories of XB1 I guess that's the connection, but why not just a mythic forever war built on hate racism as the deception. Not something kind of outlandish that comes off as "epic" for the sake of it.
[close]

This story just came off as a bunch of nonsense with obxnious asspulls and emotional grabs powered by the same sad song over and over. Nothing earned and no real build-up.

As for the gameplay, its whatever. At this point, XB games feel telegraphed to stupidity with complex layers on top to make it complex. For me, every battle was kind of the same. Not much thought behind it. Lacking some of the aspects of XB1 that I like aggressive breaking and toppling. Everything seems so deliberately paced so no player becomes overwhelmed.

The class system was whatever to me. In the end, it felt tedious and grindy for the sake of it. Unlocking jobs only to need to grind more to unlock them for other players is such a waste of time.

The world was boring, I don't remember a single unique or cool thing about it. A far cry from the giant mech god world of one.

As a long time Xeno fan, I just can't believe they've made such a stale game.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #178 on: September 04, 2022, 05:26:03 PM »
Xenoblade Chronicles 3 important plot points ANSWERED
What was the point of the war between Keves and Agnus? It amused Z

Why did Origin only revive people at age 10? Don't think about it too hard

Why do they only live for 10 years? It amused Z

How is there a day and night cycle if time has stopped? Don't think about it too hard

What are Moebius? Amusing

Why can Nia create Ouroboros? Don't think about it too hard

Why can there be only 6 Ouroboros? It amused Z

How did they have the technology to create Origin? Don't think about it too hard

What is the sword of origin? Don't think about it too hard

Why weren't Nopon stored inside Origin? The Nopon's needs are many, don't question it

How can there be a flow if time has stopped? It amused Z

What was the point of off-seeing? It amused Z

Why did the motes change color when off-seeing? Don't think about it too hard

Who is Riku? Riku is Riku, don't think about it too hard

Did Mio just gamble on X cancelling Sena's and Lanz's interlink? Don't think about it too hard

If Joran got revived doesn't that mean D also gets revived and got away with everything? Based

Why do Machina and High Entia suddenly age like Homs? Don't think about it too hard

Why did N abandon his son in the woods? Don't think about it too hard

Why is the hole in the great sword during Melia's flashback? Don't think about it too hard

How did Noah not know that Mio was M if they Interlinked? Don't think about it too hard

How did Noah and M interlink if M is not Ouroboros? Don't think about it too hard

How can Noah dematerialize Lucky 7 if it isn't part of the Cores in Origin? It amused Z

Why wouldn't the worlds immediately collide again after the split? Z is no longer amused

What is the Black Fog? Don't think about it too hard

Why did Moebius have very specific powers when plot convenient? It amused Z

What happened to the City folk? Don't think about it too hard, Gondor decided it's ok to unexist them

How does Future Connected have anything to do with this? Don't think about it too hard

Why was the Fog King a Guldo? Don't think about it too hard

What are the Fog Beasts? Don't think about it too hard

Why did 3 have to be a sequel if it is absolutely pointless as such? Excuse to reuse assets
Who was best girl? Joran
[/quote]
[close]
fat

Rahxephon91

« Reply #179 on: September 04, 2022, 05:37:04 PM »
Who the fuck is Z anyway?