Author Topic: Counter Strike 2  (Read 902 times)

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
Counter Strike 2
« on: March 22, 2023, 03:09:43 PM »
https://www.counter-strike.net/cs2

Interactive volumetric smoke

:obama
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 03:19:29 PM by GreatSageEqualOfHeaven »

archnemesis

Re: Counter Strike 2
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2023, 03:16:11 PM »
Oh, it's a free upgrade for a game that I already own. That's nice.

Can I sign up for a beta test somewhere?

Edit: I read the FAQ. I won't be selected as a test user. I have 0 hours of play time in the last 5 years.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2023, 03:25:38 PM »
I have 0 hours of play time in the last 5 years.

Which probably puts you in a top percentile of trusted + clean VAC accounts

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2023, 04:59:06 PM »
Oh, it's a free upgrade for a game that I already own. That's nice.
"Sell... new... games? You can do that?" - :gaben

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2023, 07:03:13 AM »
not a fan of this trend of calling iterative updates that are functionally 90% the same as the one before numbered sequels.

i get why valve wouldn't rock the boat. CS players are like arena shooter gentlemen who think if the rocket splash is 1mm wider than q3 then it's an awful disaster that will burn for heresy. i've already seen some complaints about the smoke changes ruining the same executes they've been doing for decades.

more than anything, it made me wonder what an actual "counter strike 2" would look like and feel a bit sad that we'll almost certainly never see it. R6S is still probably the most "modern" tac shooter i've played that came out eight years ago (and has been ruined for at least 3).
« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 09:05:36 AM by headwalk »

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2023, 02:33:19 PM »
Personally, I think there's been enough changes since 1.6 to warrant the full 2.0 version number change

Tuckers Law

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2023, 03:34:56 PM »
not a fan of this trend of calling iterative updates that are functionally 90% the same as the one before numbered sequels.

i get why valve wouldn't rock the boat. CS players are like arena shooter gentlemen who think if the rocket splash is 1mm wider than q3 then it's an awful disaster that will burn for heresy. i've already seen some complaints about the smoke changes ruining the same executes they've been doing for decades.

more than anything, it made me wonder what an actual "counter strike 2" would look like and feel a bit sad that we'll almost certainly never see it. R6S is still probably the most "modern" tac shooter i've played that came out eight years ago (and has been ruined for at least 3).

Yeah, numbering it 2 kind of surprised me as well.  Also seeing some of the "well this ruins ninja defuse".
Last couple of tries I gave to R6S, I wasn't getting that magic feeling :\  I think it's because of operators being all tied into microtransactions, I hate that shit.

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2023, 07:21:02 PM »
Yeah, numbering it 2 kind of surprised me as well.  Also seeing some of the "well this ruins ninja defuse".
Last couple of tries I gave to R6S, I wasn't getting that magic feeling :\  I think it's because of operators being all tied into microtransactions, I hate that shit.

yeah, the power creep agents destoyed siege but the base design had some good foundations that i'd have loved to have seen in an actual attempt at a sequel to CS. i thought the basic premise of having different levels of destructable materials which you can either reinforce or breach to create your own angles along with the verticality of multi-floored maps were both absolute winners, and the first set of fairly grounded agents suited the game well. it was only when it went into the GAAS death spiral and they started introducing more and more out there sci fi bollocks that it fucked itself.

i think what irks me a bit is that with the smoke change they are deviating a tiny bit from the hard coded CS formula. if they hadn't done that then i'd have just thought whatever, it's a GO port and that's all CS players wanted anyway, but with the smoke change it's like a tiny keyhole view to a parallel universe where valve felt confident enough to at least make an attempt to shake up the forumla a bit.  they could've always still had a straight CS GO port for anyone who wasn't sold on it.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 07:28:12 PM by headwalk »

benjipwns

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2023, 07:34:25 PM »
Siege somewhat lost the plot when they stopped following the path of the house and prison maps for more maps full of solid walls with only select points for destruction. Being absolutely stupid and blowing a wall causing a chokepoint was peak risk/reward because you could win or lose everything based on your placement and how well the teams reacted. :lol

Many of the later Operators have been too "cool" while earlier ones had stupidly absurd uses that could nevertheless be serious game changers when applied correctly to the situation.

edit: At this point I seriously have no idea who at least half of them are or what they can do. Completely eliminates knowing what you're up against and what you need to watch for.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 07:40:13 PM by benjipwns »

Tuckers Law

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2023, 07:56:26 PM »
For me the most obnoxious aspect is that Left 4 Dead, and especially Day of Defeat, are both much more in need of a new release than CS.  Being a DoD fan since the beginning has been a long and sullen road.

benjipwns

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2023, 08:09:36 PM »
Valve never mentions Day of Defeat because they know it's too good and they're afraid of not living up to expectations. :nothot

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2023, 09:04:15 PM »
Day of infamy was a pretty good DoD make weight. Probably dead at this point though.

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2023, 03:50:18 PM »
I last played CS in 2005, will this be free
:O

Bebpo

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2023, 12:31:36 AM »
Personally, I think there's been enough changes since 1.6 to warrant the full 2.0 version number change

As someone that hasn't played CS since like uhh the 90s? Early 2000s? I kind of expected Counterstrike 2 to be all new maps and not just the same old maps with graphical uplifts. Seems weird to me, but I'm far removed from the CS scene which has mutated into something completely different and DoTA-like at this point.

Bebpo

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2023, 12:31:53 AM »

yes

benjipwns

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2023, 01:42:13 PM »
It's an update for CS:GO, which is free to play.

As someone that hasn't played CS since like uhh the 90s? Early 2000s? I kind of expected Counterstrike 2 to be all new maps and not just the same old maps with graphical uplifts. Seems weird to me, but I'm far removed from the CS scene which has mutated into something completely different and DoTA-like at this point.
That would be kind of the last thing hardcore CS players want, CS:GO has added lots of stuff and they've accepted it because Valve didn't really mess with any of the old stuff. GO has basically healed the 1.6/CS:S divide that existed for a long time because the bulk of players eventually just all moved onto GO. Obviously not everyone was happy with GO but Valve worked quite hard on balancing the gameplay between the diehards and newbies unlike Source where they took more of a "but this way is better" position initially. The flaw of that was unlike DoD:S they didn't actually differentiate it that much so everyone noticed the minor differences.

This also goes against what Valve said like 15 years ago when they said they wouldn't tick over to CS2 until they could revolutionize the entire thing like with TF2. GO (and Dota probably) obviously changed their mind on this.