Author Topic: I am pretty much never buying anything from EB/GameStop ever again  (Read 4205 times)

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
So I went in and looked for a copy of Ratchet & Clank.  The guy starts to ring me up and gives me an OPEN case.

Me: "What the fuck?  Dude, that's open.  You guys are already getting pre-owned games back?  Sweet?  How much is it off the game?"

Clerk: "Oh, it's new."

Me: "No, it's not - it's used.  It's open."

Clerk: "No, we keep the game sealed and put the case on display.  It's new, it's your choice not to buy it."

Me: "Uh, fuck no.  If you don't give me a used discount, of course I'm not going to buy it at retail price when it's OPENED.  It's USED."

Clerk: "Sir, it's NEW."

Me: "No, see, FUCK YOU.  I'm going elsewhere."

So I went to a mom and pop videogame store that was happy to oblige and give me appropiate trade-in credit, and NOT RIP ME OFF.

What fucking nerve.  Selling open copies for new.  Goodbye EB/GameStop.  Thanks to the Internet and other options - like I need that shit.
PSP

Mana Knight

Re: I am pretty much never buying anything from EB/GameStop ever again
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 07:23:44 PM »
I'm glad I didn't have to deal with the same situation as you.  I was wanting to buy Ratchet & Clank Size Matters, so I made sure I bought it before I went back to college (I was home over the weekend), since I didn't want EB/Gamestop to be my only choice to purchase it yet  Good thing I got lucky with Meijer having two specials at once (15% off using a Meijer credit card and 20% off using a coupon), so I only paid $27.

Anyway, I have plenty of experiences of EB/Gamestop doing it to me.  I come there to buy a new game, and they hand me a display cased game (and the disc isn't in too great of shape) and try to sell it to me as new.  Another time, I went to pick up my preorder for Shadow Hearts: From The New World (looking forward to a brand new sealed copy), and I was handed a display model, all because the employee messed up my preorder.  One time I went to buy R-Type Final (PS2) and saw two copies (one factory sealed, while the other one had the had no seal).  I asked the employee kindly if I could have the factory sealed copy, he got angry at me, threw a fit, then slammed down that copy on the counter. 

The only reason I did a lot of shopping at EB/Gamestop in the past was the manager being a good friend of mine.  But once he was fired, I had no reason to go there unless I'm buying a niche RPG (which I will always preorder ahead of time for I can get a sealed copy).

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 07:25:18 PM »
Well no one ever said these stores were any good.

Theres only ONE videogame store in downtown Auckland and its the shittest EB ever. They never have anything good in stock and the staff clearly know shit all about gaming

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 07:25:22 PM »
This is an incredibly horrible policy.  How can they possibly keep it up?  You've got to figure they'll lose business doing this.  Anyone that's willing to support a chain that treats the customer like shit should should be hung.
PSP

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 07:31:24 PM »
Probably because people aren't anal jews like... oh
fat

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 07:31:39 PM »
Ever since they turned their PC section into a hovel that's straight out of downtown Cleveland, I haven't been shopping there. I buy online and just wait a few days, and generally get better prices to boot. If I absolutely must have a game ASAP, well, that's what Target is for.

The new-as-used thing is really crappy and I would have raised the same stink you did.
hex

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 07:31:56 PM »
Probably because people aren't anal jews like... oh

You would pay retail price for an opened game?  I think not!  You don't even buy games at all, so your opinion is moot.
PSP

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 07:32:48 PM »
True, it is hard to buy a game when people are constantly sending them to you for free
fat

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007, 07:34:02 PM »
demi just got willcowned.
萌え~

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2007, 07:34:45 PM »
True, it is hard to buy a game when people are constantly sending them to you for free

:lol :-\ :'(
PSP

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2007, 07:36:53 PM »
Gamecrazy manages to only keep new games BEHIND THE COUNTER where they dont HAVE to gut them. The used games are open on the shelf for people to browse through. Generally tho people who want new games know exactly what they are looking for. Why the hell do you need an open box on the shelf?
o_0

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2007, 07:38:17 PM »
It's pretty distinguished mentally-challenged.  Furthermore, a national company like EB/GameStop cannot simply have printed copies of game covers to put in sleeves?
PSP

Christopher

• Justin Timberlake's #1 Fan
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2007, 07:39:53 PM »
exactly my thoughts.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2007, 07:40:14 PM »
Gamecrazy has a Puzzle Quest demo. That game is the shit.
fat

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2007, 07:41:13 PM »
I think I will venture to this so-called "GameCrazy" in search of unopened copies of games and Puzzle Quest demo.
PSP

MrAngryFace

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2007, 07:41:26 PM »
If the policies that deal with the CUSTOMERS scare you, you should check up on the crap employees have to deal with.

I worked an EB in arizona as a second job while I was going to school and they had this bizzare DOT system where I would get BLACK EVIL DOTS if I didnt meet goal. Oh the joys of being able to tell the manager off cause its not your primary source of income. Lol being a Seasonal Hire = FTW

Edit: I really like Gamecrazy. I mean there was brief period where the one near me was under crap management but the latest manager really turned things around and im treated like gold when im there.
o_0

Christopher

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2007, 07:43:31 PM »
uh I don't know how you worked there MAF I hate being in there for more than 10 minutes. I mean I like games, but sometimes the hardcore people associated with them are fucking stupid.

If I say no to no warranty that means fucking no.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2007, 07:47:03 PM »
U SHURE OUR WARRENTY COVERS U FOR STUFF AN-

Please, shut the fuck up.  I don't want a warranty.

TEH WARRENTIES ALSO COV-

Perhaps you didn't notice that I have clenched my fists into FIGHTING POSITION.

ALSO OUR WARRENTY WILL D....

[I've walked out of the store now]
PSP

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2007, 07:49:30 PM »
Um, it's not that bad when they ask for a warranty. You people are horrible customers.
fat

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2007, 07:50:45 PM »
No, it's not bad when they ask once.  It is bad when they ask you repeatedly after you've DECLINED respectfully.
PSP

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2007, 07:52:53 PM »
So decline them respectfully again. No need to cause a hissyfit. Jew.
fat

Christopher

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2007, 07:53:14 PM »
no joke demi I was asked 5 times when I got my DS

are you sure

I'm just trying to protect you

yeah because sometimes things happen, last time

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2007, 07:53:38 PM »
I do!

... but they keep asking again and again.  When I got my PSP it was like a nightmarish lecture.
PSP

Himu

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2007, 08:17:44 PM »
Why would anyone get a warranty for a nintendo system? When your system breaks, typically you can send it in for free and get it fixed.

I envy you Willco. No mom and pop stores are near me.
IYKYK

Robo

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2007, 08:21:06 PM »
They've been doing this for as long as I can remember there being a Gamestop or an EB.  It was even worse when they used to allow employees to check out games to play for a week or so and then reseal the games to sell for new when they were returned.  I don't say this like it's some second hand bullshit because I've enjoyed many a night smearing my testicle sweat on games some poor chump paid full price for later.  At best, they would use the display copy, but not always.  As far as I know, they aren't allowed to do it anymore, but I wouldn't doubt it's still being done at some stores. 

For me, it's Best Buy or die.
obo

Himu

« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2007, 08:27:07 PM »
When I got Contact, I bought it new and when I started the game up, someone already had a save file on there.  :-\
IYKYK

GilloD

• TAKE THE LIFE OF FRED ASTAIRE. MAKE HIM PAY. TRANSFER HIS FAME TO YOU.
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2007, 09:06:59 PM »
Just buy the fucking game. You god damn nerds, god fuck you down! It's the same fucking disk, you cock asses. God.
wha

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2007, 09:09:34 PM »
I've bought "new" gradius V, where the plastic on the cover was ripped to shreads.  fucking ass hats. 

MrAngryFace

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2007, 10:02:40 PM »
Chris: When ya need money haha. I needed something throw away to suppliment my far more serious retail job while I went to school.
o_0

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2007, 12:14:22 AM »
When I got Contact, I bought it new and when I started the game up, someone already had a save file on there.  :-\

:lol

Awesome

Prost

« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2007, 03:59:02 AM »
They put the last copy they have on display, and that's the one you were trying to buy.

What they SHOULD do is just order an extra cover and put it in an empty sleeve.

Their policy on selling the last one "new and opened" is bullshit.
:-þ

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2007, 11:39:04 AM »
I posted this on GAF, so I will do so here.

Whenever I worked at GameStop, a customer would not buy a new gutted game on one occasion. He started to do what Willco did and complain that if the plastic was off of it, it wasn't new.

Lately, we have been getting games in that looked like someone just shrinkwrapped them with a shrinkwrap machine, so I had an idea. I took the box of the game and the game and told the customer that I would go in the back to make sure that there wasn't any more.

After I couldn't find another copy, I shrinkwrapped the game. He purchased it, thinking that it was new.

I didn't feel too bad about it. After all, the disc was in perfect condition.

Anyways, I agree with you guys. Now that I'm out of their influence, I won't buy a game from GameStop unless it has the plastic off of it. I won't buy a used game unless I get to look at the condition of the disc first. And, I start off every transaction that I purchase anything from the store by clearly saying that I don't want a subscripion, GPG, or reserve of any kind, and if they don't follow my directions, I leave. If they break their own store policies, I demand to speak to the district manager, which will get the store in trouble, because the phone number the store has for him is usually a personal cell phone.

HLR

y2kev

• *your name here* annihilated...
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2007, 11:48:25 AM »
I try and go in right after the game comes out so they don't have time to gut it. It's kind of a ridiculous policy.
haw

Mana Knight

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2007, 01:17:55 PM »
I won't buy a used game unless I get to look at the condition of the disc first.
That's what I do whenever I am buying a used game from now on.  Ever since the Forza and a few PS1 games incident, I must take a look at the condition.  Usually, the game works and doesn't look too bad, which is why I stopped checking for a while.  I hate it when I tell them I want to look at the disc, and they tell me "You can just buy the warranty, and you won't have to worry about it".  If I'm buying a game used, the max I'll pay is what they are charging. 

That reminds me of a used game story at Babbages (owned by Gamestop).  I was buying Onimusha for PS2, and the employee handed me a crappy case with Blockbuster stickers all over it.  I asked him if I could have the display case instead (since it was in half-way decent condition at least), and the employee yelled at me over it and didn't understand why I didn't want the Blockbuster case.  Eventually, he gave me the display case, so I was happy.  I'm very picky about my video games and like to keep my cases looking good. 

whiteACID

• RAWR
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2007, 01:33:04 PM »
Megafoo and I went to EB the other night. We were just browsing and he asked if they had any PS3 in stock (he was just curious) they guy at the counter said in these exact words "I wouldn't buy a PS3 they are just a 360 for $200 more".

Also I asked about Hotel Dusk and he said he got some e-mail that they weren't going to be making them anymore.

He was some real nerdy gamer who thought he knew his shit, but anyways what salesperson tells someone NOT to buy something.

Now I have never worked retail but isn't the point to hype a product to sell it?! No matter how you feel about it anyways.
boo

Himu

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2007, 01:35:44 PM »
When I bought Dragon Quarter the sale person said that it was a piece of shit and that I had bad taste for buying it.
IYKYK

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2007, 01:39:42 PM »
No, those losers are all fanboys working for a discount.  Occasionally, you get the brave soul just working for cash, but usually they're chicks.
PSP

MrAngryFace

« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2007, 01:44:23 PM »
This brings up an interesting point: How the hell do some of the games traded in get so beat up? Sometimes the case is destroyed, or the disc is scratched all to hell, it just doesnt make sense.

How lazy/careless does a person have to be to let their game controllers get all grimey or game cases get all cracked?
o_0

Himu

« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2007, 01:45:53 PM »
What pisses me off the most is how fucks trade in games without the cases. My God is it annoying when you want a game but there's no goddamn case.
IYKYK

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2007, 01:51:59 PM »
This brings up an interesting point: How the hell do some of the games traded in get so beat up? Sometimes the case is destroyed, or the disc is scratched all to hell, it just doesnt make sense.

How lazy/careless does a person have to be to let their game controllers get all grimey or game cases get all cracked?

Kids. Kids are lazy and disrespectful as fuck. If the game was owned by some kid age 7-14, it'll probably be trashed. If it's a console they're trading in, it'll be smeared with KID ICK.
duc

Saint Cornelius

• Always rockin' the sawed-off wisdom.
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2007, 01:55:52 PM »
With all the methods available to get games, why on earth would people want to go to a fucking gaming chain? I buy my games from GameFly, Amazon, Fry's or Wal-Mart. Retail store employees give me the creeps, but not nearly as bad as the great unwashed nerdlingers who critique my purchases as I bring them to the counter.
dap

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2007, 01:56:56 PM »
When I bought Dragon Quarter the sale person said that it was a piece of shit and that I had bad taste for buying it.

I highly doubt that.

Where do you people come up with these horror stories? I have never encountered these every time I've bought something at these places.
fat

Himu

« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2007, 01:57:48 PM »
No, it did happen. He said that the game was horrible and that I'd have bad taste if i liked it. He tried to make me not buy it.
IYKYK

Saint Cornelius

« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2007, 01:58:45 PM »
I highly doubt that.

Where do you people come up with these horror stories? I have never encountered these every time I've bought something at these places.

I have a feeling demi would be one of those people I was just talking about, standing next to the register, trying hard to get me to buy Advent Rising over Phantom Dust
dap

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2007, 02:01:42 PM »
I don't believe demi would even leave his house!
PSP

Saint Cornelius

« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2007, 02:04:05 PM »
But did you know he's going to Florida, William?
dap

Mana Knight

« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2007, 02:07:41 PM »

I'm guessing people with kids or a puppy or something (who hasn't been trained), might have had that happen.
What pisses me off the most is how fucks trade in games without the cases. My God is it annoying when you want a game but there's no goddamn case.
I agree, which is why I won't buy a game unless it has the case/instructions.  There are those people who just leave the disc in their console, leave it sitting around collecting dust, etc. while keeping it out of the case.  By the time they want to get rid of it, they cannot find the case.  Its worse because Gamestop doesn't pentalize people for trading in games without cases (which EB use to do, before the merger).  IMO, they should get 50%-75% less back.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2007, 02:08:13 PM »
That's only because Robby knows his safe word.
PSP

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2007, 02:10:39 PM »

But I like both Advent Rising and Phantom Dust
fat

MrAngryFace

« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2007, 02:36:48 PM »
When I was a kid my stuff was NEVER as trashed as ive seen
o_0

Saint Cornelius

« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2007, 02:37:43 PM »
I get the feeling that you put everything its' right place, MAF.
dap

MrAngryFace

« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2007, 02:39:21 PM »
WHATS THAT SPOSED TO MEAN?!

ANYWAY, out of all the chains ive had the best luck with Gamecrazy. If not for them I too woulda probably sworn off game retailers. Gamestop is fucking obnoxious these days. I had one clerk lying to me about his insane Gamestop Card sales to try and pressure me into getting one.
o_0

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2007, 02:46:34 PM »
I don't order online because I hate hate HATE waiting. I have some terrible, pathetic need for instant gratification. :(
duc

Saint Cornelius

« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2007, 02:47:53 PM »
Just saying is all!

And as far as Gamecrazy... I guess it all depends on the store. I bought a refurbished PS2 from them last year, and they were hitting me up HARD to get the extended warranty. They said they get defective units in all the time... so I said, aren't I covered under warranty with this being refurbished? They were hesitant to tell me yes, but eventually they did.

Fucking thing died immediately after the warranty ran out. But still, fuck Gamecrazy and fuck Sony.  :yuck

I don't order online because I hate hate HATE waiting. I have some terrible, pathetic need for instant gratification. :(

With all the money you spend on games, I'm sure an Amazon Prime account would more than pay for itself.
dap

MrAngryFace

« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2007, 02:49:17 PM »
Well yeah, for the most part im pretty clean.

The gamecrazy I go to had its rough time, so I doubt the good service I get now is a standard.
o_0

Himu

« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2007, 02:51:26 PM »
One thing i HATE HATE HATE about these stores now is that they stopped selling pre-ps2 games. You can only buy pre-ps2 at pawn shops or game crazy, and rumors suggest that game crazy is going to stop selling them soon.

Same.
IYKYK

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2007, 02:55:29 PM »
that's not the point -- the point is that I HAFTA WAIT FOR THE GAME TO COME IN THE MAIL. Point-of-purchase gives me some strange endorphin flood that I NEED, sir. NEED.

and yeah, I've been harassed for my purchases by these "nerdlingers" on many an occasion. Actually, I'm unfortunately one of them, although I hafta be provoked into it by a clerk or alpha nerdlinger suggesting that I buy a Wii or that "[I'd] love Magna Carta because it's like [the game I'm currently buying]". Ask MAF; I even get into it with the decent clerks -- the poor long-haired guy at the Bothell Gamecrazy seems to have completely opposite tastes from mine. "You should get Ar Tonelico," he says in a chipper voice. "I don't really groove on pedophilia," I admonish him. "But you like NIS games!" he retorts. "I don't like the art, and plus Ar Tonelico is made by Gust -- it's only published by NIS," I inform him and I swear my bass rumble moves up two octaves and gets really nasally. We then start slapfighting and there's tears and I go to a far corner to look at Tom Clancy games and he cuddles with a Dragon Quest plushie and we both occasionally look back at each other with watery eyes when we think the other isn't looking WHAT
duc

Himu

« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2007, 02:58:04 PM »
 :lol
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2007, 03:04:08 PM »
I prefer going to a store to online shopping myself. It makes the process more personal or whatever. It feels euphoric going to a store the day a game comes out and you're all :hyper and then you get it in your hands you rush home. It just feels better. 
IYKYK

Saint Cornelius

« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2007, 03:06:22 PM »
that's not the point -- the point is that I HAFTA WAIT FOR THE GAME TO COME IN THE MAIL. Point-of-purchase gives me some strange endorphin flood that I NEED, sir. NEED.

well goddamnit then you GO FOR WHAT YOU KNOW, pad'na

and yeah, I've been harassed for my purchases by these "nerdlingers" on many an occasion. Actually, I'm unfortunately one of them, although I hafta be provoked into it by a clerk or alpha nerdlinger suggesting that I buy a Wii or that "[I'd] love Magna Carta because it's like [the game I'm currently buying]". Ask MAF; I even get into it with the decent clerks -- the poor long-haired guy at the Bothell Gamecrazy seems to have completely opposite tastes from mine. "You should get Ar Tonelico," he says in a chipper voice. "I don't really groove on pedophilia," I admonish him. "But you like NIS games!" he retorts. "I don't like the art, and plus Ar Tonelico is made by Gust -- it's only published by NIS," I inform him and I swear my bass rumble moves up two octaves and gets really nasally. We then start slapfighting and there's tears and I go to a far corner to look at Tom Clancy games and he cuddles with a Dragon Quest plushie and we both occasionally look back at each other with watery eyes when we think the other isn't looking WHAT

okay I would have to give you both fucking wedgies, followed by a gentle swirlie, if I ever had to endure that kind of conversation. Chances are you'd be having it when I'm right behind you in line, too.
dap