Author Topic: Official 300 thread  (Read 8366 times)

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
Re: Official 300 thread
« Reply #120 on: March 08, 2007, 08:04:10 AM »
There are different ways to do flashbacks, like the ones you noted and ones in, say, Batman Forever (remembering how he "became" batman).

Well, there's a shitty way to do everything...but flashbacks can be done well.  I've also heard that narrator's are a bad screenwriter's crutch (lol, Adaptation) but I've seen a ton of great movies that featured narration in some form or another (High Fidelity and About a Boy, for example).
PS4

Solo

« Reply #121 on: March 08, 2007, 08:17:04 AM »
Yes, but I assumed we weren't talking about greats like Leone, Ichirou, but about your average Joe modern day Hollywood director.

Also, narration is considered by many to be a crutch/sloppy writing, but like Leone and flashbacks, there are exceptions. You need look no further than Martin Scorsese.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #122 on: March 08, 2007, 01:02:14 PM »
Flashbacks really haven't been too much of a problem in recent years, because all the hacks have it written in their brain from taking film school post-'90s that they can't do it.  It's not as heavily used as it once was.  And voice over narration is making a comeback, but that was dead for most of the '90s through the new millennium.
PSP

Robo

« Reply #123 on: March 08, 2007, 01:04:33 PM »
V for Vendetta has some pretty terrible flashback sequences.  How many times do I need to see that fucker emerging from the fire?  Seriously, I get it.
obo

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #124 on: March 08, 2007, 01:06:06 PM »
IT WAS HIM, ROBOJ! IT WAS HIM!!!
PSP

Tauntaun

• I'm cute, you should be too.
« Reply #125 on: March 08, 2007, 01:42:10 PM »
IT WAS HIM, ROBOJ! IT WAS HIM!!!

yeah right dude...

spoiler (click to show/hide)

:o
[close]
:)

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #126 on: March 08, 2007, 04:12:37 PM »
Fuck you guys I loved that part! :(

Solo

« Reply #127 on: March 08, 2007, 04:19:16 PM »
It was fine the first time, PD. It was the continuous pounding the audience over the head with it that irritates. V was guilty of this a lot, I felt. 

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #128 on: March 08, 2007, 04:26:21 PM »
Yes, but I assumed we weren't talking about greats like Leone, Ichirou, but about your average Joe modern day Hollywood director.

When you assume, you make and ass out of u and me.  ::)
PS4

Solo

« Reply #129 on: March 08, 2007, 04:39:17 PM »
That little phrase never made sense.

The Miles Trahan Burger Experiment

• Can he only eat just one?
  • The Walking Dead
« Reply #130 on: March 08, 2007, 05:03:15 PM »
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=26884   :'(

I knew this wouldn't be a critical darling, but when sites I trust start spreading bad news I kinda lose hope.
BKO

Solo

« Reply #131 on: March 08, 2007, 05:05:01 PM »
I go to DVDTalk for my DVD reviews though. Like extras, A/V presentation and stuff. Ive never really read their reviews. Are they pretty good?

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #132 on: March 08, 2007, 05:09:03 PM »
I go to DVDTalk for my DVD reviews though. Like extras, A/V presentation and stuff. Ive never really read their reviews. Are they pretty good?

Usually. I mean, with any site there are gonna be a handful of bad reviews, but those I've read are usually pretty on the money.
BKO

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #133 on: March 08, 2007, 05:09:56 PM »
Who trusts reviews they read on the Internet? :lol
PSP

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #134 on: March 08, 2007, 05:11:24 PM »
Who trusts reviews they read on the Internet? :lol

Well I know not to trust yours, at least.
BKO

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #135 on: March 08, 2007, 05:12:07 PM »
And vice versa.
PSP

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #136 on: March 08, 2007, 05:12:37 PM »
I don't think I'd appeal to your limited tastes anyway.
BKO

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #137 on: March 08, 2007, 05:13:52 PM »
My limited tastes of disliking overhyped films that appeal to teenagers?  'Tis true!
PSP

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #138 on: March 08, 2007, 05:15:51 PM »
My limited tastes of disliking overhyped films that appeal to teenagers?  'Tis true!

Cool, I'll be watching Children of Men while you wait for Ghost Rider to hit DVD. ;)
BKO

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #139 on: March 08, 2007, 05:16:48 PM »
I don't even really like Ghost Rider, though.  These retorts of yours are getting worse all the time!
PSP

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #140 on: March 08, 2007, 05:18:05 PM »
I don't even really like Ghost Rider, though.  These retorts of yours are getting worse all the time!

The fact that you even gave it the time of day is hilarious.
BKO

Cheebs

• How's my posting? Call 1-866-MAF-BANS to report flame bait.
« Reply #141 on: March 08, 2007, 05:19:48 PM »
DVDTalk is one of the few sites who I trust movie reviews from.

Solo

« Reply #142 on: March 08, 2007, 05:20:41 PM »
Am I the only one that loved Zodiac? Ive seen it twice, but Im not hearing jackshit about it amongst all the 300 hype.

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #143 on: March 08, 2007, 05:23:05 PM »
DVDTalk is one of the few sites who I trust movie reviews from.

lolz, Cheebsie is MY cinematic beacon. :-*
BKO

Cheebs

« Reply #144 on: March 08, 2007, 05:24:10 PM »
Clerks II rocked

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #145 on: March 08, 2007, 05:24:49 PM »
Clerks II rocked

See what I mean? :hyper
BKO

Cheebs

« Reply #146 on: March 08, 2007, 05:25:21 PM »

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #147 on: March 08, 2007, 05:27:16 PM »
*swoon*
BKO

Cheebs

« Reply #148 on: March 08, 2007, 05:28:39 PM »

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #149 on: March 08, 2007, 05:29:09 PM »
I came. :-[
BKO

Cheebs

« Reply #150 on: March 08, 2007, 05:30:24 PM »

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #151 on: March 08, 2007, 05:30:48 PM »
PS4

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #152 on: March 08, 2007, 05:32:02 PM »
 :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
BKO

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #153 on: March 08, 2007, 07:33:15 PM »
The fact that you even gave it the time of day is hilarious.

Yeah, because being anti-social and not going to the movies with the family is real cool.  Oh wait, I forgot that you're a teenager, so that's probably par for the course for you.

Quote from: Solo
Am I the only one that loved Zodiac? Ive seen it twice, but Im not hearing jackshit about it amongst all the 300 hype.

It's gotten pretty good reviews and I want to see it.  I'm a sucker for non-fiction crime/serial killer stuff and Fincher rocked my world with Se7en, so here is to wishing for a return to form.
PSP

Junpei the Tracer!

• I started with Nightbright and ended with Comics
« Reply #154 on: March 08, 2007, 07:55:47 PM »
I'm gonna see this on Sunday.
Boo

Solo

« Reply #155 on: March 09, 2007, 08:17:47 AM »

Quote from: Solo

It's gotten pretty good reviews and I want to see it.  I'm a sucker for non-fiction crime/serial killer stuff and Fincher rocked my world with Se7en, so here is to wishing for a return to form.

Good man. All I will say again is to keep in mind that its very much the opposite of Se7en. Instead of being wrapped up in the murders/the killer, its more an ode to the cops and reporters of that era, their repeated failures in that abortion of an investigation, and the obsession that drove most of them. Thats why really clicked for me. Se7en is a fantastic film, and as almost its anti-thesis, Zodiac is also a fantastic, if slightly inferior film.

It's also easily the most restrained/least flashy/gimmicky of all Fincher's films.

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #156 on: March 09, 2007, 08:19:18 AM »
More 300 talk, heathens! :punch :gun
BKO

Solo

« Reply #157 on: March 09, 2007, 08:20:42 AM »
Ask me in 4 months when the DVD comes out, lolz. Did you go yet, Shake?

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #158 on: March 09, 2007, 08:22:13 AM »
 I saw 300 a week ago in an advanced screening. It was a pretty good movie but kind of predictible and overly dramatic. Over half of the movie is slow motion.

I made out in the theater with my woman, while sitting right next to the other chick from last semester.  :D

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #159 on: March 09, 2007, 08:24:54 AM »
No one gives a shit.
BKO

Cheebs

« Reply #160 on: March 09, 2007, 09:20:58 AM »
FoC never come into one of the movie topics none of care about your opinions.

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #161 on: March 09, 2007, 11:29:40 AM »
LOLZ I SAW IT MY MOM SLIPPED ME THE TONGUE :-*

Solo: No, I'm seeing it at 7:30 p.m.
[close]
BKO

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #162 on: March 09, 2007, 09:16:44 PM »
Alright I'm heading out. I'll catch the 10:15 showing; I'll have more than enough time to hit the bank and dollar store (for candy) first

:punch

Junpei the Tracer!

• I started with Nightbright and ended with Comics
« Reply #163 on: March 09, 2007, 09:18:57 PM »
Buy candy at the movie cinema for inflated prices.
Boo

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #164 on: March 10, 2007, 01:31:07 AM »
Just got back from the movie. HOLY SHIT

I intended on going to the 10:15 showing, and got there around 9:35. Once I drove past the window I could see a massive amount of people in line. At first I thought they were there to see something else, but rather quickly it became clear that the majority of the crowd was there for 300. The 10:15 showing was sold out, so I had to go to the 10:45. The crowd was huge, and luckily I was first in line to pick the best seat (middle seat in the middle row=you see everything). People laughed at the funny lines and actually cheered during some scenes (like the one where the queen shows her Spartan side, with a sword). On a funny note...there was this guy sniffing throughout some of the movie. It was mainly audable during the more quiet, emotional parts of the movie. Because of this it sounded like he was crying or something. So out of nowhere this dude right behind me yells out.

Dude: NO CRYING ALLOWED IN SPARTA
Sniffling Guy: I have a cold mother****er
Dude: THIS IS MADNESS
 :rofl

I felt the movie was amazing. I went in expecting an extremely gratuitous, over the top epic and that's what I got. What I was most surpised at was that the acting and dialogue wasn't nearly as cheesy as I expected. Like many fantasty epics, the movie is full of various speeches, and all of them are great.

But I didn't go to the movie for speeches, I went for the AWESOME-ness. The action was simply amazing. I loved the slow motion mechanics used throughout the movie. All of the battles are not slow motion, though: there is a nice mix between some more shaky cam sequences and some slow motion sequences; clearly the slow motion sequences are featured more. The battle with the Immortals (and that giant thing) was truly the highlight of the action for me. Perfectly executed

I never read the graphic novel so I don't know how truthful it was to the source material, but I found it to be rather truthful to various facets of history. The way the Spartans fought was pretty damn accurate, and seeing it brought to life was quite impressive.

Overall I found the movie to be just what I was looking for: a BADASS kick in the balls. The action was tight, the story was badass, and the music was very good. Perhaps my only complaints outside of the dramatic acting (which I anticipated) was the lack of character development. I love watching epics like Jason and the Argonauts or Clash of the Titans, and these movies usually introduce a cast of characters who you can't help but root for and hope they survive. While this was done with a couple characters to a certain degree, I would have liked to see more.

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #165 on: March 10, 2007, 01:43:45 AM »
:bow
萌え~

Solo

« Reply #166 on: March 10, 2007, 07:17:08 AM »
Word on the street is that this features one of the worst voiceovers ever. Anyone care to confirm/dispute this?

Beezy

« Reply #167 on: March 10, 2007, 08:16:07 AM »
The fight scenes in this movie were fucking great! You're not a man if you don't enjoy this movie! :punch :punch :punch

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #168 on: March 10, 2007, 09:33:16 AM »
Glad to hear you liked it, dude. I got so fucked up last night I forgot to go. I actually almost passed out after calling you. :-\
BKO

Cheebs

« Reply #169 on: March 10, 2007, 09:34:07 AM »
I saw it. MY RATING IS HIDDEN

6/10. Very good action, but that is all that is good about it. It's a very long action sequence and nothing more.  The story is very forgetable. If all I wanted was lots of fun action I would give it a much higher score, but I am not 16 so pretty fights aren't enough. I was expecting a very bad movie, 3-4/10 so take the 6 as you will.
[close]

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #170 on: March 10, 2007, 01:51:46 PM »
Word on the street is that this features one of the worst voiceovers ever. Anyone care to confirm/dispute this?

The voice over was rather bad. but it didn't ruin the movie. IMO the dialogue in it was pretty good, but the narrator's voice seemed out of place. I couldn't help watch the movie and wish for some kind of classiclly trained British actor to do it. Just watch the trailer; you'll hear the guy's voice ("Spartans, the world's greatest soldiers. Taught never to retreat...")

Shake: Dude you sounded HAMMERED :lol

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #171 on: March 10, 2007, 01:58:18 PM »
Dude, that voice in the trailer sounded just like Gerard Butler's, except he wasn't yelling.  And it's not awful at all.

This movie is going to make a bazillion dollars.  I tried hard to see it last night, but every single showing was sold out.  Every single one.  I even checked right before we left for the late, after midnight showing and when we arrived - it was sold out!

Going to have to get tickets early today, but I'd have to say those $30 million opening weekend estimates are way off.  I haven't seen showings sold out like this since Pirates of the Carribean.  I don't think it'll crack $80 million, but it might do like $50 million or something close to Ghost Rider numbers.  Which is pretty incredible considering its an R-rated movie at the beginning of March.  Not really prime time box office factors.
PSP

Solo

« Reply #172 on: March 10, 2007, 02:11:37 PM »
$27M on Friday. Pretty much unheard for an R March release.

Itll crack $65M this weekend.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #173 on: March 10, 2007, 02:11:44 PM »
It wasn't Gerard Butler. Remember the friar in Van Helsing? It's him lolz

G The Resurrected

« Reply #174 on: March 10, 2007, 02:13:51 PM »
Dude, that voice in the trailer sounded just like Gerard Butler's, except he wasn't yelling.  And it's not awful at all.

This movie is going to make a bazillion dollars.  I tried hard to see it last night, but every single showing was sold out.  Every single one.  I even checked right before we left for the late, after midnight showing and when we arrived - it was sold out!

Going to have to get tickets early today, but I'd have to say those $30 million opening weekend estimates are way off.  I haven't seen showings sold out like this since Pirates of the Carribean.  I don't think it'll crack $80 million, but it might do like $50 million or something close to Ghost Rider numbers.  Which is pretty incredible considering its an R-rated movie at the beginning of March.  Not really prime time box office factors.

Get used to that around the bay area dude. Its like that for most all new releases. Higher percentage of people per theater than most anywhere in california.

And yeah its gonna do fantastic numbers this weekend. My theater was packed all day yesterday while i worked the projector.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #175 on: March 10, 2007, 02:21:11 PM »
I enjoyed it for what I was expecting.  Definitely going to buy this on DVD.  Some of the best fucking fight scenes in movie history (but there did need to be more).  Coulda been longer, actually.  Faramir was cool.  Also, best lighting evarrr.

Simple and boring story, but I don't care.  Homo-erotic spartans are awesome.
püp

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #176 on: March 10, 2007, 03:22:51 PM »
awesome stuff.  that is all.

Homemade Milk

• dandy ass extraordinaire
« Reply #177 on: March 10, 2007, 06:43:29 PM »
boobs, cool fights. it was tight as shit.
eri

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #178 on: March 10, 2007, 07:43:16 PM »

Shake: Dude you sounded HAMMERED :lol

I forgot to see it again today too, but that's cuz I was working. Blocks away from a huge IMAX too... :-\
BKO

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #179 on: March 10, 2007, 07:56:09 PM »
Damn, what the fuck. Word of mouth on this one isn't all too great. My friends saw it yesterday and said it was overall pretty "meh", with most of the "good parts" spoiled in the trailers and all. Now another review was posted on DVDTalk opposing the previous "good" rating...http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=26910

I'm so torn atm. :(
BKO