Author Topic: Nintendo wants to charge you $250 for the Xbox 0.8  (Read 16682 times)

Fatghost28

• Finally got a tag
Re: Nintendo wants to charge you $250 for the Xbox 0.8
« Reply #120 on: September 14, 2006, 08:12:40 PM »
Wii will ultimately sell through less than Gamecube.
HOT

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #121 on: September 14, 2006, 08:13:19 PM »
I'm not shitting on the Wii, by the way.  I'll buy one when I think it's worth the money, when they have an online system that's worth a fuck, and when third party controllers that aren't the recockulous price of $60 for a complete remote-chuck combo become available (which might be never, as I doubt Nintendo wants that waggletech in the hands of third parties).  I want to play Mario Galaxy.  I want to play Excite Truck.  I want to see a really asskicking FPS.  Those games will still be around when I get around to buying a Wii.  I'm just not very interested in buying at launch anymore.
sup

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #122 on: September 14, 2006, 08:16:35 PM »
Wii will ultimately sell through less than Gamecube.
I don't think you know shit.
I'm not shitting on the Wii, by the way.  I'll buy one when I think it's worth the money, when they have an online system that's worth a fuck, and when third party controllers that aren't the recockulous price of $60 for a complete remote-chuck combo become available (which might be never, as I doubt Nintendo wants that waggletech in the hands of third parties.  I want to play Mario Galaxy.  I want to play Excite Truck.  I want to see a really asskicking FPS.  Those games will still be around when I get around to buying a Wii.  I'm just not very interested in buying at launch anymore.
I think Nintendo's going to do something weird price-raping wise with the bundles.  Maybe they'll get generous.  Just why couldn't they have packed a real game?

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #123 on: September 14, 2006, 08:17:18 PM »
Dear Nintendo,

I'm not paying $50 extra bucks for Wii Sports. You are losing customers with the price when you can't afford to lose more buyers in the console sector. It's not like you're taking a loss by offering a non-pack in at 200 pricepoint. All you are doing is losing customers from the get go.

"People will still buy it" = "Less people will still buy it."

Really, they had it all set up for them. Then they came out greedy. And Metroid in 2007? Wtf? It's basically a cube game.

The thing is, Wii Sports doesn't cost Nintendo 50 bucks.  They developed it themselves, and since it's going to be included with every unit, it won't have an MSRP of its own.  And just by looking at the game you can tell they're not losing much by giving it away for free.  The extra 50 bucks just comes from Nintendo being greedy.

Never taken a business class eh?

You don't sell things for what they're worth. You sell to make a profit. If a car is worth $3,000, you don't sell it for $3,000. Basic economics son!

That being said...

Let's be real: The Wii hardware is worth around $150. When you add the other stuff on, you get to around  $230 at most. So $250 is not terribly overpriced...

That doesn't mean I like the price: I'm not getting on at launch anymore. But as an educated indivual (DUN DUN DUNNN), I see what Nintendo is doin

Fatghost28

• Finally got a tag
« Reply #124 on: September 14, 2006, 08:20:22 PM »

You don't sell things for what they're worth. You sell to make a profit. If a car is worth $3,000, you don't sell it for $3,000. Basic economics son!

That being said...

Let's be real: The Wii hardware is worth around $150. When you add the other stuff on, you get to around  $230 at most. So $250 is not terribly overpriced...

That doesn't mean I like the price: I'm not getting on at launch anymore. But as an educated indivual (DUN DUN DUNNN), I see what Nintendo is doin

How do you know what the hardware is worth? 

From a consumer standpoint, you have to look at it from comparative value.  Is the Wii a good value compared to the PS3 or X360?  For most gamers, I think it's pretty clear the answer is "No".  Certainly, from a technological stand point, it's an emphatic "No". 
HOT

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #125 on: September 14, 2006, 08:22:04 PM »
I think Nintendo's going to do something weird price-raping wise with the bundles.  Maybe they'll get generous.  Just why couldn't they have packed a real game?

I'll be honest - if they'd included a second wagglewand in the package, I'd probably buy it for $250.  As it stands now, $300 gets you a Wii, an extra (real) game, and the opportunity to swing your arms around like a jackass by yourself.  
sup

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #126 on: September 14, 2006, 08:26:47 PM »
I'll be honest - if they'd included a second wagglewand in the package, I'd probably buy it for $250.  As it stands now, $300 gets you a Wii, an extra (real) game, and the opportunity to swing your arms around like a jackass by yourself.  
now I realize why people were so serious about getting a PS3 to sell.  Wii could be completely useless for most games.

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #127 on: September 14, 2006, 08:29:49 PM »
Dear Nintendo,

I'm not paying $50 extra bucks for Wii Sports. You are losing customers with the price when you can't afford to lose more buyers in the console sector. It's not like you're taking a loss by offering a non-pack in at 200 pricepoint. All you are doing is losing customers from the get go.

Really, they had it all set up for them. Then they came out greedy. And Metroid in 2007? Wtf? It's basically a cube game.

The thing is, Wii Sports doesn't cost Nintendo 50 bucks.  They developed it themselves, and since it's going to be included with every unit, it won't have an MSRP of its own.  And just by looking at the game you can tell they're not losing much by giving it away for free.  The extra 50 bucks just comes from Nintendo being greedy.

That being said...

You traditionally sell hardware at a loss, though.  This is Nintendo being greedy from day 1.

One of the draws of console gaming is that you get hardware worth more than you are paying.
serge

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #128 on: September 14, 2006, 08:32:21 PM »
That was distinguished mentally-challenged, PhoenixDark.  The industry is a content delivery one, where by manufacturers are supposed to make their money on content (software, accessories, etc.).  The actual form of delivery is regulary sold for cost or less than cost to entice customers.  This goes for many things, like cell phones and cable DVR boxes and such.
PSP

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #129 on: September 14, 2006, 08:59:46 PM »
Dear Nintendo,

That being said...

You traditionally sell hardware at a loss, though.  This is Nintendo being greedy from day 1.

One of the draws of console gaming is that you get hardware worth more than you are paying.

Greedy? This is a business.

Nintendo traditionally does not sell harware at a loss. That's why they're a healthy company.

Fatghost28

• Finally got a tag
« Reply #130 on: September 14, 2006, 09:04:22 PM »
Nintendo used to sell hardware that was competitive.  NES, SNES, N64, GC, all were competitive with other hardware on the market when they launched.  Wii is a joke compared to its competition.  You can't get away with charging a premium price for a non premium product.  It's going to hurt Nintendo.
HOT

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #131 on: September 14, 2006, 09:07:46 PM »
Nintendo traditionally does not sell harware at a loss. That's why they're a healthy company.
they sold it for a couple cents more then it cost to manufacture.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #132 on: September 14, 2006, 09:08:09 PM »
Dear Nintendo,

That being said...

But the argument is, is the consumer benefiting from this? Its good that Nintendo is always in the green but as Fatghost already stated, it seems that their more interested in their bottom line. With this in mind their trying to segregate themselves from the rest of the gaming industry so they don't have to worry about Microsoft and Sony.

Thats the one thing that I find weird about a lot of Nintendo fans. They seem to put a lot of thought into how Nintendo is doing, more so than other fanbases.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 09:20:04 PM by BlueTsunami »
:9

Fatghost28

• Finally got a tag
« Reply #133 on: September 14, 2006, 09:18:58 PM »
Yeah.  I don't give a shit whether or not Sony, MS or Nintendo make any money.  Their profit is not my problem.

Shit, I bet Nintendo fans are a car salesman's wet dream.  When you guys go to buy a car, are you insisting you pay MSRP so the dealership and salesman can get a nice profit?  Sheesh.

I think Nfans tout the profit horn a lot because that's the one thing they have in the console wars "sure, our hardware of choice sucks, is dead last, and doesn't have any games...but Nintendo's balance sheet and income statement totally rock Sony's and MS's!"
HOT

Christopher

• Justin Timberlake's #1 Fan
« Reply #134 on: September 14, 2006, 09:26:49 PM »
Yeah I really get confused why the fuck those feggits care about sales numbers and Nintendo's profits so much?  I really could give 2 shits about their profit margins, and what not.

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #135 on: September 14, 2006, 09:30:02 PM »
GAF console wars for the goddamned lose, I think all of us combined on this forum play games than GAF does.
o_0

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #136 on: September 14, 2006, 10:02:02 PM »
SSB:B!

Salvation!
YES!

So I will probably be getting a Wii next year around Christmas time.
AMC

TVC15

« Reply #137 on: September 14, 2006, 10:03:32 PM »

OMG THIS IS TEH NEXT GEN!!!
serge

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #138 on: September 14, 2006, 10:05:45 PM »
I do want that game as well. I'm such a fucking cigarillo. Goddamn it.
AMC

Prost

« Reply #139 on: September 14, 2006, 10:10:35 PM »
Wii will rock.  Anything closer to a mouse that's not a distinguished mentally-challenged thumb joystick gets my vote for any FPS that's non-PC :)

I lost interest in every single FPS console game after Goldeneye... The mouse is just soooooooo much faster, better, more accurate, and fun!
:-þ

TVC15

« Reply #140 on: September 14, 2006, 10:11:30 PM »
I still can't get that they're charging 250 bucks for something with 64 frickin megs of RAM.  WTF?  I shit more RAM than that.
serge

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #141 on: September 14, 2006, 10:13:41 PM »
Yeah, it's like you could give RAM away.  But you don't.
PSP

Hollywood

« Reply #142 on: September 14, 2006, 10:15:43 PM »
Dear Nintendo,

Yeah, I was just thinking that. Wii Sports is like Brain Training, a fun budget $20 game.  You might even get the same games in Monkey Ball minus the Mii avatars.

$99 Gamecube + $40 Wiimote + $20 Nunchuck + $20 Game = $180

So looking at it that way, it's about $70 off.  $200 would seem fine given that its a bit better tech than GC and offering all the extra features.

Plus, with the cost of the extra controllers, you might be pricing out the audience they're aiming for. You are asking for new gamers, female and elsewise. These people see any console as a risk. To them 199.99 is a lot less risky. The lower the price the more you can reach them. Jacking it up makes no sense, even if your thought process is "oh they'll sell out anyways", you're starting off with a bit of alienation towards your meal ticket.

And to Fatghost, I won't be buying a Wii now until they drop that silly price. Nintendo lost it's advantage as best bang for the buck.

Except the fact people ignore it ISN'T a GC.

R&D costs money. The motion censor costs money. Shrinking the components down costs money. Slot loading drive and shrinking that down costs money.

No doubt $250 is a little high and they are making money, but people act as if its JUST an overclocked GC. Just because the money doesn't go to hardware power doesn't mean its not going somewhere else. Even if you think the motion controls are a stupid gimmick doesn't mean they don't cost money to make.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #143 on: September 14, 2006, 10:16:14 PM »
I still can't get that they're charging 250 bucks for something with 64 frickin megs of RAM.  WTF?  I shit more RAM than that.
Can you crap out some RAM for my laptop please?
AMC

Mondain

• no bias
« Reply #144 on: September 14, 2006, 10:29:37 PM »
Except the fact people ignore it ISN'T a GC.

R&D costs money. The motion censor costs money. Shrinking the components down costs money. Slot loading drive and shrinking that down costs money.

No doubt $250 is a little high and they are making money, but people act as if its JUST an overclocked GC. Just because the money doesn't go to hardware power doesn't mean its not going somewhere else. Even if you think the motion controls are a stupid gimmick doesn't mean they don't cost money to make.

my thoughts exactly

even if it's kind of a rip-off for such crippled hardware, at least we know it's going to still have some unmatched image quality like the GameCube had

Catz

« Reply #145 on: September 14, 2006, 10:51:55 PM »
The lack of a dvd player isn't a big deal. Who doesn't own at least 1 player by now anyways? Heck I have 5 if you include the ps2, 360 and Xbox along with regular home dvd players.
U

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #146 on: September 14, 2006, 10:53:57 PM »
I still can't get that they're charging 250 bucks for something with 64 frickin megs of RAM.  WTF?  I shit more RAM than that.

Gaping anus lolz

Prost

« Reply #147 on: September 14, 2006, 10:55:03 PM »
Wiimote!! I can't wait for a good challenging FPS with that thing!  Online multi-mode ownage.
:-þ

Hollywood

« Reply #148 on: September 15, 2006, 12:14:59 AM »
BTW, where does it say 64MB RAM? All the 'leaked' spacs I saw were around over 100MB RAM. Was there new specs out??

Bacon

• MEMBER #37
« Reply #149 on: September 15, 2006, 12:39:21 AM »
I kinda wish it came in black.

Catz

« Reply #150 on: September 15, 2006, 12:42:50 AM »
I kinda wish it came in black.

Doesn't it? I could of sworn I saw some black Wii pics a long time ago. Maybe they where photoshops though..
U

Bacon

• MEMBER #37
« Reply #151 on: September 15, 2006, 12:45:14 AM »
They had black remotes at e3 and the early Revolution promo pics had the system in black, but they're only launching with white to maximize production. New colors won't come until at least Spring, if not later.

Catz

« Reply #152 on: September 15, 2006, 12:45:30 AM »

Heh, still says revolution in the link.
U

Catz

« Reply #153 on: September 15, 2006, 12:46:16 AM »
They had black remotes at e3 and the early Revolution promo pics had the system in black, but they're only launching with white to maximize production. New colors won't come until at least Spring, if not later.

Ah I see. Pity.
U

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #154 on: September 15, 2006, 01:01:38 AM »
Total RAM is like 88 MB -- 64 MB working set + 24 MB 1TSRAM video/fast cache.
duc

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #155 on: September 15, 2006, 01:05:55 AM »
The lack of RAM is a good thing, because it'll push the developers to really utilize the hardware since they can't rely on too much RAM as a handicap.  As a result, second year titles will look amazing!
PSP

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #156 on: September 15, 2006, 01:07:01 AM »
The lack of RAM is a good thing, because it'll push the developers to really utilize the hardware since they can't rely on too much RAM as a handicap.  As a result, second year titles will look amazing!
I had to read that twice.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #157 on: September 15, 2006, 01:07:10 AM »
They might even reach Xbox levels of graphics!
duc

Hollywood

« Reply #158 on: September 15, 2006, 01:11:32 AM »
I wish some new specs would come out, because right now we really don't know. Either way 88MB total RAM is a good bit better than the original GC. No doubt though this was about the cheapest way possible to make a new system. I'm sure Nintendo has 3-5 schematics for planning NEW game systems, and Nintendo took the absolute weakest and cheapest option, no doubt.

etiolate

« Reply #159 on: September 15, 2006, 01:27:38 AM »
Are there specs released yet? Is the RAM just based on word of mouth?

Hollywood

« Reply #160 on: September 15, 2006, 01:29:42 AM »
They might even reach Xbox levels of graphics!

XBox doesn't have as much RAM, and Wii has a better processor than Pentium 3, so Wii is a little better.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #161 on: September 15, 2006, 01:33:48 AM »
The Wii also lacks a lot of DirectX 8-caliber features and shaders which it has to compensate for with generic TEV ops or brute force.
duc

Hollywood

« Reply #162 on: September 15, 2006, 01:36:51 AM »
Which doesn't matter to Nintendo's own games anyway, or select third parties with their own engines. All the other games/companies are shit anyway.

Fatghost28

• Finally got a tag
« Reply #163 on: September 15, 2006, 09:32:09 AM »
Wii is to Gamecube what DS is to N64, essentially.  It's a bit more powerful if you compare them toe to toe, but ultimately the same hardware generation and will produce graphics and physics at a fairly equivalent level.  In no way will Wii be competitive with X360 or PS3 graphically, even if all three machines are running at SD resolutions.  Running on HDTV, Wii is going to look especially like shit.  And as HDTV penetrates more and more homes, the fact the Wii is still SD is going to make it a harder and harder sell for the casual Madden player and the hardcore graphics nerds alike.

I don't get how people try to say Wii is quite a bit more than an overclocked Gamecube - it's exactly an overclocked gamecube, with waggle thrown in.  Same CPU, Same GPU, same RAM configuration, with some clock speed bumps and a little bit extra RAM thrown in.  It's still 1999-2000 era graphics technology with a CPU to match.  It's not even a tiny bit next gen from a hardware perspective.  The controller gimmick is the only thing Wii has going for it and I think that will alienate as many as it attracts. 
HOT

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #164 on: September 15, 2006, 11:28:35 AM »
Wii is to Gamecube what DS is to N64, essentially.  It's a bit more powerful if you compare them toe to toe, but ultimately the same hardware generation and will produce graphics and physics at a fairly equivalent level.  In no way will Wii be competitive with X360 or PS3 graphically, even if all three machines are running at SD resolutions.  Running on HDTV, Wii is going to look especially like shit.  And as HDTV penetrates more and more homes, the fact the Wii is still SD is going to make it a harder and harder sell for the casual Madden player and the hardcore graphics nerds alike.

I don't get how people try to say Wii is quite a bit more than an overclocked Gamecube - it's exactly an overclocked gamecube, with waggle thrown in.  Same CPU, Same GPU, same RAM configuration, with some clock speed bumps and a little bit extra RAM thrown in.  It's still 1999-2000 era graphics technology with a CPU to match.  It's not even a tiny bit next gen from a hardware perspective.  The controller gimmick is the only thing Wii has going for it and I think that will alienate as many as it attracts. 

And that's why it will fail. I don't see casual gamers supporting this system. They'll get Gears of War and wait for the GC version of Zelda instead.

This isn't like PS2 vs the Xbox/Gamecube, where the PS2 could still look good in comparison. And of course now games like God of War look just as good as most Xbox stuff. With the Wii, we won't see that. In 2007 we are going to start seeing games that truly redefine graphics. MGS4, Halo 3, FFXIII, etc. On the other hand, the Wii will make slight graphical improvements, but eventually things will start getting pathetic. Being this inferior to your competitors is dangerous.*

*first person to pull the "bu bu...DS is owning PSP!" card gets slapped the fuck out

Fatghost28

• Finally got a tag
« Reply #165 on: September 15, 2006, 11:43:41 AM »
Lets also look at the Wii's price advantage - in two years there won't be a price advantage! About halfway through this generation, the Wii's price will be about the same as the X360 and probably even the PS3.  There is only so much room Nintendo has to drop their price before they are priced out of the market.  You can't sell hardware for less than the cost of a game, for example.  And the Wii won't sell at all at 100 bucks if the 360 or Ps3 is 150. 

They'll be within spitting difference, hell, at launch the Wii is in spitting difference with the 360, but the hardware value is going to make everyone look to 360 or PS3.  It's just not going to fly. 

I suspect even in Japan, where 360 is a non factor and PS3 is even more expensive, that most consumers will wait for PS3 to become affordable and just stick to PS2.  People aren't stupid - the gimmick for Wii will sell the Wii early to everyone interested and the Nintendo faithful, and then the Wii will peter out to obscurity, the same way the GC started fairly strong and was essentially dead within 18 months. 

The DS does well because it is a great portable, coming from a market leader, with tremendous and superior third party support, AND has a noticeable price advantage and has a form factor and ergonomics that make it work both with traditional controls and the "gimmick" control, although the "gimmick" in DS' case is a proven portable consumer electronic input method that has wide acceptance in a variety of other portable electronics.

The Wii doesn't have any of these advantages.  The price advantage is tiny, since it's only 50 bucks off from a 360 premium.  The form factor is nice, being small, but in terms of capabilities, it's behind the 360 and PS3 as a media player and as a media hub.  Web browsing (which costs extra!) is kinda nice but who the fuck wants to surf the web in 640x480??  If it didn't fly when it was free with the Dreamcast in 1999, who would care now in 2006?  Nintendo is dead last in the market, not only in hardware sales but also software sales...at least third party games sold on Xbox 1.  Third party support for Wii is pretty terrible, mostly last gen port overs (not even port ups, no fresh coat of paint like you at least get with 360 port ups), and the waggle is not a proven input method, unless you count the arcade games that use mo-cap inputs...that are fun for 5 minutes until muscle cramp sets in. 

Wii is fucking still born but the Nintendrones don't even realize it. 
HOT

MrAngryFace

« Reply #166 on: September 15, 2006, 12:25:49 PM »
o_0

rocketman

« Reply #167 on: September 15, 2006, 12:42:45 PM »
Wii is doomed to fail.

Mark my words, this is Nintendo's final console. From now on, they'll stick to handhelds.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #168 on: September 15, 2006, 12:59:42 PM »
I doubt it.  Nintendo doesn't view the Wii as a traditional console, period.  If it falters, a lot of people have speculated Nintendo won't drop out of the hardware business, but that a joint venture with another company would probably be in order.
PSP

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #169 on: September 15, 2006, 01:11:16 PM »
Nintendo isn't aiming for the hardcore. Most of the traditional Nintendo fans -- at least the ones who love serious third-party content as well as first-party content -- are actually nowhere in Nintendo's focus for the Wii, although many of them seem willing to reinvent their preferences just to make sure they're on Nintendo's side.

The Wii is there to sell to a non-traditional audience -- the newly-discovered Brain Age/Bejeweled set. They'll throw some "epic" content on the Wii, of course, but their primary development focus is on the true casuals (not lapsed hardcores) and non-gamers. That's where the money will be spent.

Now, you can delude yourself into thinking that you'll be more than happy to waggle about with Wii Sports, mini-game collections, and various Animal Crossing-esque OCD outlets -- and perhaps some of you will -- but it is no longer a primary console for the hardcore. It's almost a portable to us -- what we might play BETWEEN real games. The Nintendo-only hardcore gamer is officially dead as of the Wii.
duc

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #170 on: September 15, 2006, 01:26:17 PM »
The Nintendo-only hardcore gamer has been dead as of the N64, Drinky.
PSP

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #171 on: September 15, 2006, 01:30:34 PM »
See, that's the problem. They say they're all about all gamers, yet they continue to stick their finger up hardcore gamer's asses. How many glorified tech demos and mini game orgies does a system launch really need? From what I've seen, Nintendo has put far more effor into creating those games than REAL games. Zelda looks polished, and it's going to sell. But what else is there? EAD has been busy with Zelda (thanks to the Wii port!) and budget titles like Wii Sports that apparently they don't have the time to make real games.

MrAngryFace

« Reply #172 on: September 15, 2006, 01:33:46 PM »
You know, watching as many Nintendo console releases as I have, its really hard to listen to people support Nintendo anymore, because its like watching reruns of the same season of television every launch.

I mean there's lots of different words used but the general idea behind each Nintendo rant is the same lame tune.
o_0

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #173 on: September 15, 2006, 01:35:36 PM »
The problem comes down to how will Traditional games adapt to the Wiimote (an old argument since the Wiimote was first revealed). Since its the first of its kind (as a standard controller) your gonna have more idea like games, nothing polished or a full package.

Like Zelda for instance, it uses the regular traditional controller for most of its functions and uses the Wiimote for smaller usage (like the boomerang, grappling hook etc). But the game is not built around the controller. I'm very interested to see a game that has the same polish as Zelda and yet be built around the controller.

I personally think games like Kings Field should be made on the Wii, en mass!
:9

Phoenix Dark

Hollywood

« Reply #175 on: September 15, 2006, 03:45:00 PM »

And that's why it will fail. I don't see casual gamers supporting this system. They'll get Gears of War and wait for the GC version of Zelda instead.

This isn't like PS2 vs the Xbox/Gamecube, where the PS2 could still look good in comparison. And of course now games like God of War look just as good as most Xbox stuff. With the Wii, we won't see that. In 2007 we are going to start seeing games that truly redefine graphics. MGS4, Halo 3, FFXIII, etc. On the other hand, the Wii will make slight graphical improvements, but eventually things will start getting pathetic. Being this inferior to your competitors is dangerous.*

*first person to pull the "bu bu...DS is owning PSP!" card gets slapped the fuck out

I'll play the DS is owning PSP card, because people said the exact fucking thing then, and they said the exact fucking thing when DS launched. The DS had a MUCH worse launch than the Wii is having right now, it has a Mario 64 remake, with touch screen controls most people didn't even want to use.

Graphics aren't everything, its been proven time and time again. The DS is owning the PSP. The PS2 is owning the 360. The Wii WILL sell in Japan whether you like it or not, that territory is locked up. Established franchises plus popular DS games on Wii = big seller. 360 is dead there, period. PS3 will sell as much as it can with the amount of money it costs.

In America Nintendo can't do any worse than the Gamecube. At least now the Wii has a distinct philosophy behind it, and the novelty of it will make it sell more than GC. Bubububu waggle controls, yeah and Guitar Hero really bombed too, with a big ass guitar periphiral.

Your ass is going ot get owned, just like you were with the DS. Suck IT.

rocketman

« Reply #176 on: September 15, 2006, 03:53:45 PM »
Hollywood, it's common knowledge that you're in Nintendo's Gay Parade.

You want a comparison to how distinguished mentally-challenged it is to bring up the DS in regards to Wii?

Look at Gamecube sales. Enough said.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #177 on: September 15, 2006, 04:02:41 PM »
Hollywood, it's common knowledge that you're in Nintendo's Gay Parade.

You want a comparison to how distinguished mentally-challenged it is to bring up the DS in regards to Wii?

Look at Gamecube sales. Enough said.
QFT

Entirely different situations. Nintendo owns the handheld market. They could release a black and white Gameboy again and still capture the market with a new 2D Mario game.

GBA sold toe to toe with the PS2, yet that success NEVER translated to the Gamecube. Not even the Gamecube Pokemon games did huge numbers

Hollywood

« Reply #178 on: September 15, 2006, 04:56:20 PM »
Wanna know how distinguished mentally-challenged it is to say the Wii will bomb? Look at the profit. How the fuck does a machine bomb when every game or machine you sell makes money? Nintendo could sell like 1 million of them total, and make money, thats what you don't get. You wanna play armchair videogame industry some more smart guy?

It's more relevant to compare the Wii to the DS than the GC because the Wii has an unorthodox strategy, just like the DS. The GC was more like the PS2 or XBox with less games, which is why it sold less. There was absolutely nothing unique or different about it other than it looked like a Cube.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #179 on: September 15, 2006, 05:03:41 PM »
Wanna know how distinguished mentally-challenged it is to say the Wii will bomb? Look at the profit. How the fuck does a machine bomb when every game or machine you sell makes money? Nintendo could sell like 1 million of them total, and make money, thats what you don't get. You wanna play armchair videogame industry some more smart guy?

That 1 million would generate a profit on manufactured hardware, yes - would it pay for all the cost of wiimote R&D, though?  I don't really care about sales debates, but that immediately came to mind when I read your post.

Maybe there'll be a price drop next spring, so I can play Mario Galaxy.
sup