Author Topic: Is the world burning?  (Read 244778 times)

BisMarckie

Re: Is the world burning?
« Reply #840 on: May 31, 2020, 03:33:32 PM »
Live in a relatively nice suburb of Chicago and looting just started at the department stores near me. Never thought it would make it this far.

Get yourself a nice OLED breh  ::)

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #841 on: May 31, 2020, 03:34:57 PM »

Watching all the community donations (and people in masks) has been a really nice thing to see.

bluemax

« Reply #842 on: May 31, 2020, 03:35:52 PM »
A former coworker unironically posted a Joke clip on his Instagram last night. Dude lives in DTLA too. I knew him buying a Tesla was a bad sign, but I didn't know it was this bad.

Did I mention he's a major weeb too?
NO

Himu

« Reply #843 on: May 31, 2020, 03:36:32 PM »
Ferguson's impact wasn't wide. It was mostly black folks and a few allies riding that. Now? Almost everyone is riding it.

Many commentators attribute the rise in usage of body cameras amongst the US police forces directly to Ferguson.

What about my post did you not get?

During Ferguson most people viewed the police as protecting the town.

This time, my entire Facebook is mostly on the side of the protesters. Even people that disliked this stuff in the past openly support now.

Ferguson, we had to defend the humanity of Michael Brown. Minneapolis, almost all people get it. Got Randy fucking Orton and known conservatives coming out saying this is wrong. Not only that, but also black lives matter SPECIFICALLY. When Baltimore happened most of the dialogue was WHY ARE THRY DOING THIS.

There was some of that for a time the first few days. But I had never seen such wide support of such protests. It was like the WBY ARE THEY DOING THIS was drowned out by mass support for the first time.

Then last night happened the cops mask came off.

Now no one is arguing or caring why they're doing it except dumbasses. The narrative is so anti-cop now, which is a stack contrast to the Mike Brown and Freddie Gray protests. This is a massive sea change. They're even protesting overseas amid a pandemic.

On reddit alone during Ferguson they denied, denied, denied. Now? Almost all of reddit is anti-cop. That's an entire generation no matter the race, considering police to be pigs.

I won't even get into Anon coming into the fight.

Cameras were used for cop skepticism. Right now where we are is way, way past sketpcism. The People outright detest police now.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 03:41:51 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #844 on: May 31, 2020, 03:40:52 PM »
https://www.twitch.tv/smokenscan

car chase of a stolen truck in LA

Coffee Dog

« Reply #845 on: May 31, 2020, 03:49:18 PM »
People at the protests just realized that no matter where in the country you are, all it takes is a single car fire and the police will start playing call of duty and begin treating every person they see like an opposing force. ("One easy trick, cops HATE him!")

The narrative has shifted compared to past protests, and it's almost entirely because people started destroying property much much sooner and in more locations. Really smart, now the police are shooting at journalists and grandmas trying to pick up groceries and they make the news for us.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #846 on: May 31, 2020, 03:49:47 PM »
When Ferguson went down, it was a couple years after Trayvon Martin's death but police abuses hadn't gotten much traction as a subject of national discussion before then. BLM and the ubiquity of camera phones were able to get the media and politicians to talk about it like a major issue.

It's been six years since Ferguson. For young people at these protests, this has been a big deal since they were in middle or high school. Among older people, especially white libs, there's way more awareness and concern going in than there was in 2014.

People like to shit on BLM for petering out, not being organized enough, etc. but there's been a significant change in public opinion over a few years. The demonstrations are helped by everyone being unemployed and stressed out, and by the footage of the killing being so horrible, but the groundwork was also laid before this.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #847 on: May 31, 2020, 03:55:13 PM »
Transhuman, it's time to stop.  Just stop.

No, let him be a Bogan. Maybe he'll pull out the "my Grandma was in Auschwitz" card like Lager.  :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #848 on: May 31, 2020, 03:56:08 PM »
A former coworker unironically posted a Joke clip on his Instagram last night. Dude lives in DTLA too. I knew him buying a Tesla was a bad sign, but I didn't know it was this bad.

Did I mention he's a major weeb too?

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #849 on: May 31, 2020, 04:01:04 PM »
Hey wasn't "MAGA Day" meant to be last night? Where all the pro-Trump tough guys were going to show up in DC to protect his honor?

Cause I didn't hear a thing about that actually happening.

Himu

« Reply #850 on: May 31, 2020, 04:03:04 PM »
Hey wasn't "MAGA Day" meant to be last night? Where all the pro-Trump tough guys were going to show up in DC to protect his honor?

Didn't amount to shit
IYKYK

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #851 on: May 31, 2020, 04:08:12 PM »
A former British colony :lol

Hey, have you guys heard of this former colony of Britain? I guess they’re called the United States?

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #852 on: May 31, 2020, 04:08:23 PM »
Among older people, especially white libs, there's way more awareness and concern going in than there was in 2014.

Six years ago I would never have wished that I could be on the ground-level in my car giving the black power fist for safety but here we are. 

Himu

« Reply #853 on: May 31, 2020, 04:08:51 PM »
That's all that I saw about that

Re: troops and maganight
IYKYK

bluemax

« Reply #854 on: May 31, 2020, 04:08:52 PM »
NO

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #855 on: May 31, 2020, 04:10:08 PM »

I think they sent out a scout with a bow and arrow early on and got discouraged at the results.

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
Margs

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #857 on: May 31, 2020, 04:20:04 PM »

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #858 on: May 31, 2020, 04:28:25 PM »
resisting the urge to photoshop that onto the tank man photo
每天生气

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #859 on: May 31, 2020, 04:30:05 PM »
Feel inspired to write an entire album based on that photo. "Me and My FiberglASS Girlfriend."

Propagandhim

« Reply #860 on: May 31, 2020, 04:32:11 PM »

Bebpo

« Reply #861 on: May 31, 2020, 04:33:59 PM »
I don't post much in the non-videogame stuff because I've generally learned to not engage with anyone on anything important because no one ever changes, but when one person I know kept bitching about how this (i.e. the protests) is "Destroying our country day by day", this was my response and is basically my feelings on the whole thing:

Our country's been destroyed forever since it was founded, just a lot of people are privileged enough to not have to see it/deal with it because the destruction was primarily effecting minorities and poor people. This is bringing out people's pain and frustration to the open and if it makes privileged people and more importantly the police feel some discomfort, nervousness or fear, well that's what lots of people feel every day and are told to deal with it. If we had competent leadership in government, they could potentially actually do something like enact some measure of police accountability reform and track down and arrest the remaining officers involved in Floyd's death, but we don't and so this is just going to escalate and most likely nothing is going to change (outside hopefully sending the officer and maybe officers to prison), but it will re-stoke awareness in the public and awareness of people's dissatisfaction of the police, so that hopefully when we have more competent people in governmental positions they can start to enact actual reform because the people of the country want change.

I feel like the endgame for decades has been stronger police accountability from unbiased 3rd party with power to bring criminal and civil charges against officers. If an officer had to worry that when he did something wrong/illegal he could go to jail/prison, lose his job, and or go bankrupt...good. That incentive is probably the only thing that would keep more cops in line to be better individuals and commit less illegal/wrong/horrible acts. If a lawyer blatantly fucks up he loses his licenses and can't practice as an attorney anywhere, if a doctor does something blatantly illegal he'll be sued to oblivion and most likely never practice again. Cops should be the same way.

The issue is that this kind of major system rehaul has to come from the top and the world could be destroyed in a nuclear apocalypse and Trump still wouldn't do something like that. He is the worst person in the world for this moment. So short term-wise, besides arresting and bringing charges and a fair trial against the officers in the Floyd murder, I don't see anything coming from this other than awareness. Do protests again when Biden hopefully is president and Dems have the house & senate and maybe then they can actually make some baby reform action steps.

Bebpo

« Reply #862 on: May 31, 2020, 04:36:45 PM »
Aaand, his response is

the democrats own this disaster.  Every broken window, every burnt building, every destroyed small business, every stolen item, every innocent cop/civlian killed.
I guess we are going to civil war
That'll be an interesting end to 2020

Yeah. This is why I don't bother engaging with crazy people on real topics. They just live in such an alternate reality it's :|

Anyhow, hopefully something good comes from these protests.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #863 on: May 31, 2020, 04:38:59 PM »

If there is one thing to take away from this: there's no point in resisting. 

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #864 on: May 31, 2020, 04:41:10 PM »

Uncle

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #865 on: May 31, 2020, 04:43:25 PM »
 :kermit

shosta

« Reply #866 on: May 31, 2020, 04:44:19 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)
I was thinking of replacing the man not the tanks but this is so much funnier :dead
每天生气

BisMarckie

« Reply #867 on: May 31, 2020, 04:50:51 PM »

You got yourself a free Switch, yet?

I just don't want my Bore brehs to make the same mistakes I made. The last time I looted shit, I came away with a case of beer and two cartons of cigarettes. :stahp

shosta

« Reply #868 on: May 31, 2020, 04:55:02 PM »
The last time I looted shit
is that what you call your teacher's salary
每天生气

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #869 on: May 31, 2020, 04:57:25 PM »

You got yourself a free Switch, yet?

I just don't want my Bore brehs to make the same mistakes I made. The last time I looted shit, I came away with a case of beer and two cartons of cigarettes. :stahp
you calling me an animal?  ::)

BisMarckie

« Reply #870 on: May 31, 2020, 04:58:47 PM »

I am a civil servant that works extremely hard and is well respected in his faculty.   ::)

I am published scientist :bolo

shosta

« Reply #871 on: May 31, 2020, 05:07:16 PM »
J sakai bruh moment :titus
It's like they always said... the working man has no nation.
每天生气

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #872 on: May 31, 2020, 05:08:30 PM »
The last time I looted shit, I came away with a case of beer and two cartons of cigarettes. :stahp

cigarettes are a good get; high value by size / weight, and easily resellable without a lot of questions asked unlike stuff like consumer electronics. Shoulda went for spirits over beers though.

team filler

• filler
  • filler

BisMarckie

« Reply #874 on: May 31, 2020, 05:14:19 PM »
The last time I looted shit, I came away with a case of beer and two cartons of cigarettes. :stahp

cigarettes are a good get; high value by size / weight, and easily resellable without a lot of questions asked unlike stuff like consumer electronics. Shoulda went for spirits over beers though.

It was for my personal use :pimp

I was never about that life selling black market cigarettes. I grew up in a middle-class household :bolo

shosta

« Reply #875 on: May 31, 2020, 05:14:55 PM »

one of the MPD officers had his password set to "retard" :lol

what's his bore account?
每天生气

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #876 on: May 31, 2020, 05:15:08 PM »

It was for my personal use :pimp

I was never about that life selling black market cigarettes. I grew up in a middle-class household :bolo
our very own jake paul  ;)

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #877 on: May 31, 2020, 05:18:56 PM »

one of the MPD officers had his password set to "retard" :lol

what's his bore account?

christine senko :fbm

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #878 on: May 31, 2020, 05:21:55 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

this a viral tweet bro hash tag that shit

BIONIC

« Reply #879 on: May 31, 2020, 05:25:45 PM »

I am a civil servant that works extremely hard and is well respected in his faculty.   ::)

I am published scientist :bolo

How about you civil serve deez nutz?  :steiner
Margs

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #880 on: May 31, 2020, 05:29:28 PM »
civil serve all over the dick bitch  :lol

Himu

« Reply #881 on: May 31, 2020, 05:31:41 PM »
I don't think we'll see any meaningful reform from this. No way any demilitarization happens as unemployment increases and we enter protracted economic decline. No way prison reform happens during the same. But it will cause a sea change in how people view the police through multiple different lenses.

Ferguson did that... for maybe a few years? Then everyone became complacent again.
Ferguson's impact wasn't wide. It was mostly black folks and a few allies riding that. Now? Almost everyone is riding it.

Ferguson absolutely lead in to this. BLM as a movement learned and adapted, from it every black person will pull up their phone as soon as they see a cop which helped get them to this point anyway.

True, I forgot about the build up to this moment.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #882 on: May 31, 2020, 05:39:03 PM »
People in DC are literally standing in front of the White House changing "Hands up, don't shoot" in 2020, so to say Ferguson's impact wasn't wide is kind of a weird thing to say. Ferguson was the first time of the modern era (post Rodney King) where America was really exposed to the militarization of the police and true riots and anger on a public scale on television for everyone to see, and every event since then is has been an escalation from both the people and the police until we're at a place where dozens of major cities are having full blown riots with police openly attacking protestors and media alike on camera with no fucks given whatsoever in wall to wall coverage.

Well, it felt wide to black people, but we are a minority. In mainstream society it felt like Ferguson reaction was far more negative. The reaction now is more understanding and nuanced.
IYKYK

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #883 on: May 31, 2020, 05:39:53 PM »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #884 on: May 31, 2020, 05:44:58 PM »
https://twitter.com/sgrate__/status/1267188986285568002

:biden senior biden moment

I have upvoted so many reddit comments after only reading the first line only to give them a hard down votes after reading the follow ups.  Really know how this crowd must feel. 

BIONIC

« Reply #885 on: May 31, 2020, 05:45:02 PM »
https://twitter.com/sgrate__/status/1267188986285568002

:biden senior biden moment

They had us in the first half, not gonna lie .gif
Margs

Himu

« Reply #886 on: May 31, 2020, 05:46:01 PM »
It felt to me the mainstream narrative for Ferguson was "they deserved it" "do what the police says". It brought up police militarization issue but it was given a band-aid (cameras) rather than actual effort. Then Baltimore happened a few months (year) later and most people had the same reaction. In 2020 people are far more understanding. So I guess Ferguson did start it but it took a few years to catch on to more than black people.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #887 on: May 31, 2020, 05:52:49 PM »
It felt to me the mainstream narrative for Ferguson was "they deserved it". It brought up police militarization issue but it was given a band-aid (cameras) rather than actual effort. In 2020 people are far more understanding. So I guess Ferguson did start it but it took a few years to catch on to more than black people.

And it's only cause of Ferguson that it happened. Because, unsurprisingly, cops kept killing off black men and it kept getting videotaped. Of course the response to corona and the economy crashing got way more people keen to listen as well.

This is all due to Ferguson, what happened to Trayvon, all of it. It all lead to a point where people couldn't even pretend to look the other cheek anymore. Of course some still try, others are massive idiots, but it's much harder to ignore for them now. And the mobilization from Ferguson on is the key to all of it.

Thanks for describing the issue in a succinct manner. It's still weird to see people that used to be "WHY ARE THEY LOOTING" now openly support violent protest. I've always supported their right to "riot" so to see so many coming out in support of the black communities anger is very weird for me. It's good, but it's weird and very new for me.
IYKYK

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #888 on: May 31, 2020, 05:54:25 PM »

I think the neighbors think I'm spreadin' covid  :pimp

Himu

« Reply #889 on: May 31, 2020, 05:54:55 PM »
J Cole :heartbeat
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #890 on: May 31, 2020, 05:56:01 PM »
IYKYK

Propagandhim

« Reply #891 on: May 31, 2020, 05:59:43 PM »

bluemax

« Reply #892 on: May 31, 2020, 06:07:48 PM »
Seeing the destruction of areas that I peacefully marched through yesterday is just a major fucking head trip. I mean just hearing about it and having people messaging me asking if we were okay was weird enough, but seeing it documented is just next level.

Also everything yesterday happened in one of the areas I worked in for an extended period, and now apparently things are going down in the area I spent the last 2 years working. Seeing places I spent significant portions of my life at get utterly ravaged is not something I ever expected to encounter.
NO

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #893 on: May 31, 2020, 06:10:19 PM »
https://twitter.com/shomaristone/status/1267208548452315137

Both inspiring and deeply troubling that it has come to this :tocry
🤴

bluemax

« Reply #894 on: May 31, 2020, 06:12:29 PM »
In other news, supposedly Anonymous has leaked Epstein's entire black book

https://imgur.com/a/lw0YxY9
NO

shosta

« Reply #895 on: May 31, 2020, 06:15:54 PM »
Nice, we got his... uh... contact list  :winning
每天生气

bluemax

NO

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #897 on: May 31, 2020, 06:18:18 PM »
I don't get why protesters don't just move the barricades back and take them away.  I think I'd be pretty good at protesting if I didn't hate crowds. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #898 on: May 31, 2020, 06:20:20 PM »
https://twitter.com/alfonsohoops/status/1267217520962015233

They are pretty honest about caring more for the health of shoe stores in both cases. 

BisMarckie

« Reply #899 on: May 31, 2020, 06:22:20 PM »
Nice, we got his... uh... contact list  :winning

Finally I will be able to contact james to get my money back