Author Topic: Is the world burning?  (Read 244776 times)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Re: Is the world burning?
« Reply #2400 on: June 07, 2020, 01:26:59 PM »
These sorts of actions will turn the general populace against the protesters in favor of law and order especially outside the US.
I'm seeing it happening across the world now, it's no longer about the police violence and racism. Basically every left winger with a gear to grind is using this as a 'platform'.
Statues, war memorials and churches desecrated for no reason will not lead to the outcome they expect.

The last 2 days in the US have seen incredibly massive almost entirely peaceful protests across the country...

But some statue being torn down in.. *checks notes*... Bristol, Englad.. is going to turn the tied against US protesters?  lol
Yeah, in the US they are more focused. It's especially outside the US where the protests are taking a different turn.

The old Nintex is BACK!
Not really I still support peaceful protests. I'm just not in favor of tearing down statues and other landmarks for a political agenda no matter what the political agenda is.
I'm not seeing how erasing history is going to help us solve the issue of police racism in 2020.
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2401 on: June 07, 2020, 01:36:56 PM »
It's a statue from 1895. It survived WW1, WW2 and dozens of other hardships.
So very little survives 100+ years and it is completely unnecessary to tear down such an object.

Now there could be an argument that such a statue should not be placed in a public square and would be better suited for a museum to give it the proper context.
I just don't think it's a good idea for a spur of the moment mob to decide what of history we preserve and what can be tossed into the sea.
🤴

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2402 on: June 07, 2020, 01:40:45 PM »
if it's from 1895 and slavery ended in Britan in the 1830's, what does that say about the people who erected the statue? 

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #2403 on: June 07, 2020, 01:41:02 PM »
including the event where it was fished out of the harbor

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #2404 on: June 07, 2020, 01:47:44 PM »
if it's from 1895 and slavery ended in Britan in the 1830's, what does that say about the people who erected the statue?
They appreciated the millions of pounds the guy donated to the local community and weren't as concerned about where all that money came from, which is as true today as it ever has been

:idont

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2405 on: June 07, 2020, 01:50:36 PM »
So very little survives 100+ years and it is completely unnecessary to tear down such an object.

Now there could be an argument that such a statue should not be placed in a public square and would be better suited for a museum to give it the proper context.

It can be fished from the harbor, put in a museum.. and all of it's historical context can be on display, including the 2020 event where people decided slaver statues should get thrown in the harbor.
It wasn't 'decided' by the people or voted on. It was just a mob that acted in the spur of the moment.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"
🤴

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #2406 on: June 07, 2020, 01:58:54 PM »

It can be fished from the harbor, put in a museum.. and all of it's historical context can be on display, including the 2020 event where people decided slaver statues should get thrown in the harbor.
It wasn't 'decided' by the people or voted on. It was just a mob that acted in the spur of the moment.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"

:rofl
___

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2407 on: June 07, 2020, 01:59:06 PM »

Probably roughly the same thing it says about the people who erected confederate generals and leaders monuments in all throughout the South AND North not even in the immediate aftermath of the Civil War, but in the early 1900s and and 1960s.
I agree that such statues erected after WW1 and WW2 were probably created in extremely bad taste or to provoke.
With regards to Colston, I'm reading that there are still a lot of question marks regarding his history with regards to slavery.

The sculptor John Cassidy seems to have done a lot of statues of historical figures and did not seem to have a radical agenda of any kind.
I'm also reading a newspaper conducted a poll and the local residents didn't want the statue removed. Instead there was a proposal to add a description to give the statue more context.
Which would've been more appropriate.
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2408 on: June 07, 2020, 02:05:03 PM »
And now we're on a very slippery slope.

https://twitter.com/EdClowes/status/1269663175198334977
🤴

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #2409 on: June 07, 2020, 02:08:28 PM »
Lol like it’s just someone’s art project, sometimes you make room on the fridge lol

Object permanence is a scam

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2410 on: June 07, 2020, 02:40:54 PM »
I'd like to see Churchhill's statues come down, so we can re-examine his history and finally realize, his place as a Nazi killer is far more important than minor bouts of racism.  Then make even bigger statues of him.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2411 on: June 07, 2020, 02:48:08 PM »
Churchill is a symbol of defiance against oppression and tyranny. He is revered as a hero throughout the UK and many other countries in Europe.

If you want to show the world you are just an anarchist with no sense of history, culture, no one should take you seriously and you don't plan to do anything constructive there's no better place to start than to deface a statue of Churchill the day after D-Day.
🤴

Dickie Dee

___

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2413 on: June 07, 2020, 03:00:29 PM »
And therein lies the contradiction; for the majority of people living in europe churchill and his ilk are heroes... But for the rest of the world that the British Empire victimized he's a Hitler. Unfortunately a movement centered around attacking the handling of internal colonies will come with attacks upon the perpetrators of colonialism and slavery. Sucks but all these societies programmed these conflicts into their social makeup with their past and present.

:idont

:idont  my feelings exactly 

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #2414 on: June 07, 2020, 03:01:36 PM »
I'd like to see Churchhill's statues come down, so we can re-examine his history and finally realize, his place as a Nazi killer is far more important than minor bouts of racism.  Then make even bigger statues of him.

Minor bouts of racism  :foodcourt

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #2415 on: June 07, 2020, 03:04:22 PM »
you could fit the statues of everyone who achieved something in british history and also passed the purity test in a phonebox.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #2416 on: June 07, 2020, 03:04:57 PM »
https://twitter.com/BillWeirCNN/status/1269470126358908930

something about this makes me wanna barf  :yuck where's the pepsi at  ::)

also unsettling, felt like he was walking them into a trap and something horrible was about to happen to everyone  :-\ been watching too much of this shid  :fbm
welp:

https://twitter.com/SaraQDavid/status/1269600438501982210

https://twitter.com/WilderDavies/status/1269604714611650562

https://twitter.com/oldredtree/status/1269514455655776256

:maduro

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #2417 on: June 07, 2020, 03:05:44 PM »
you could fit the statues of everyone who achieved something in british history and also passed the purity test in a phonebox.

Well the British measure their historical achievements in Indians killed so that sounds about right

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #2418 on: June 07, 2020, 03:08:56 PM »

Oh, right, he gets a statue for fighting nazis for a couple of years?
I fight nazis every day. Just yesterday I blocked someone for disagreeing with me and called the president Drumpf. And I have social anxiety!

Where's my statue?

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #2419 on: June 07, 2020, 03:12:13 PM »

I just don't think it's a good idea for a spur of the moment mob to decide what of history we preserve and what can be tossed into the sea.

Zwarte Staues Matter!  :biden
Margs

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2420 on: June 07, 2020, 03:12:14 PM »
As the statue committee, we need to know how many Indians have you killed in the digital realm? 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2421 on: June 07, 2020, 03:14:20 PM »
That's not really fair since the Russians were doping. 

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #2422 on: June 07, 2020, 03:16:26 PM »
每天生气

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2423 on: June 07, 2020, 03:17:07 PM »
https://twitter.com/NYCMayor/status/1269650502284972032

I'll believe it when I see it.  Really worried the protests will fizzle out and the news will move onto economy stuff.

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #2424 on: June 07, 2020, 03:23:56 PM »
so....they gonna arrest young people?

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2425 on: June 07, 2020, 03:26:35 PM »

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #2426 on: June 07, 2020, 03:27:11 PM »

Probably roughly the same thing it says about the people who erected confederate generals and leaders monuments in all throughout the South AND North not even in the immediate aftermath of the Civil War, but in the early 1900s and and 1960s.
I agree that such statues erected after WW1 and WW2 were probably created in extremely bad taste or to provoke.
With regards to Colston, I'm reading that there are still a lot of question marks regarding his history with regards to slavery.

The sculptor John Cassidy seems to have done a lot of statues of historical figures and did not seem to have a radical agenda of any kind.
I'm also reading a newspaper conducted a poll and the local residents didn't want the statue removed. Instead there was a proposal to add a description to give the statue more context.
Which would've been more appropriate.

Meh.

I'd be more fervent in defence if it was a more significant piece, as in, was a great piece of art or of great importance to many people.
Some rich slaver? Meh.

Dickie Dee

« Reply #2427 on: June 07, 2020, 03:32:35 PM »

Then build some National Shitheel Museum and stick it in there?
___

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #2428 on: June 07, 2020, 03:37:41 PM »
Also

"It's a statue from 1895. It survived WW1, WW2 and dozens of other hardships."

:lol
brah, it's a statue, it'll cope with famine, drought, plague, and solar storms just fine

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #2429 on: June 07, 2020, 03:41:18 PM »
Fuck Churchill for selling out Poland at Yalta for Greece

Fat fuck

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #2430 on: June 07, 2020, 03:43:18 PM »

i'm glad we can agree that the british completely suck ass then. from churchill to jk rowling to rare entertainment, it's clear that they've committed enough atrocities over the decades and must now be punished for it
pcp

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #2431 on: June 07, 2020, 03:43:46 PM »
Fuck Churchill for selling out Poland at Yalta for Greece

wait maybe he wasn't so bad after all
pcp

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #2432 on: June 07, 2020, 03:48:44 PM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/notcolloquial/status/1269495996230381568

There's like 10 million different interests trying to co-opt the protests into something nonthreatening

shosta

« Reply #2433 on: June 07, 2020, 03:54:02 PM »
i'm glad we can agree that the british completely suck ass then. from churchill to jk rowling to rare entertainment, it's clear that they've committed enough atrocities over the decades and must now be punished for it

no one is safe, not even people who are dead
每天生气

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #2434 on: June 07, 2020, 03:55:24 PM »
hey look it's ferguson all over again. nothing major changes but these organizations will all walk away with a shitload of money
pcp

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #2435 on: June 07, 2020, 03:56:16 PM »
This was always how it was going to end. Oprah going on tv talking about forgiveness and nothing getting reformed, all the press releases from firms in support. I expect to see Roger Goodell and the food network butter lady taking a knee in solidarity

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1269175582421651461?
pcp

shosta

« Reply #2436 on: June 07, 2020, 03:59:23 PM »
There are bills in Congress and police departments are announcing changes. Just give it more time.
每天生气

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #2438 on: June 07, 2020, 04:04:42 PM »
There are bills in Congress and police departments are announcing changes. Just give it more time.

:killme

Himu

« Reply #2439 on: June 07, 2020, 04:10:03 PM »
How has the past week gone? Haven't been paying as much attention due to family business and Hard Times, daddeh.
IYKYK

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2440 on: June 07, 2020, 04:23:34 PM »
Really good.  The protests have become non-violent - I don't hear anything anymore about looting that didn't happen in the initial few days.  The police continued to use force against non-violent protestors and so the narrative has slowly changed from looters to police reform.  Not to say that is going to happen but we are much more in an environment where those conversations can take place than 5 days ago.  Trump using the military completely backfired.  There was a twitter thread of positive changes you might want to look at.  If you want to see police violence and haven't seen the white old man in Buffalo, or the 16 yearold kid in Texas, or a few NYPD vs protestors videos those seem to be key moments, along with Trump clearing protestors for his photo op. 

That being said, I think almost all major cities no longer have a curfew and the police have mostly stopped acting violently on cammera so I'm afraid that the situation is going to wind down before real change can take place. 

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #2441 on: June 07, 2020, 04:30:13 PM »
if muhammad will not cum to the statue, then the statue will get thrown in the ocean

shosta

« Reply #2442 on: June 07, 2020, 04:39:51 PM »
so the narrative has slowly changed from looters to police reform.
No, Fox news is still exclusively reporting on looting.
每天生气

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #2443 on: June 07, 2020, 04:44:51 PM »
Muhammad tearing down statues and forbidding the practice as statues elevate human beings to worship and humans are undeserving of it :rejoice

Probably the only thing I put on a pedestal ( :teehee ) about the dude. Even though I usually fall into "old buildings and statues are cool" camp.

I think it's just human nature to create narratives oriented around people in order to contextualise historical events.
Which is why these protests are simultaneously about George Floyd, but also not about George Floyd at all.

shosta

每天生气

shosta

« Reply #2445 on: June 07, 2020, 04:52:00 PM »
If anything, these protests are working by completely exhausting the police to the point of resignation
每天生气

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.

Dickie Dee

« Reply #2447 on: June 07, 2020, 05:04:33 PM »
https://twitter.com/matthewferner/status/1269728324441370624

:titus

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Obv the big question is what replaces it.
[close]
___

shosta

« Reply #2448 on: June 07, 2020, 05:08:45 PM »
Meanwhile;  guy who filmed a child being maced by the Seattle PD was hunted down and arrested with 7 cop cars showing up days later;  the charge?  That he was using an illegal laser pointer... denied bail.

They also hunted down a woman and pulled her out of her car to arrest her while her child watched, claiming days earlier she'd assaulted 2 cops. 

Scary shit.   Would not be shocked if they tried to get Homeland Security involved with some terrorism charges.
Source for this? And also the video.
每天生气

shosta

« Reply #2449 on: June 07, 2020, 05:18:20 PM »
Disbanded police forces... cops committing illegal actions in retribution... yeah this is how you get paramilitary organizations. Living in history :rejoice
每天生气

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #2450 on: June 07, 2020, 05:23:47 PM »

El Babua

« Reply #2451 on: June 07, 2020, 05:34:10 PM »
We saved his fat ass from Hitler you mean :american

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #2452 on: June 07, 2020, 05:34:28 PM »
https://twitter.com/austin_police/status/1269326118366183424

see thread lol

I don't get the assumption that the cops faked it

just as easily could be some church group of 5 people that decided to get together and write 100 notes of support and did a really bad job of pretending like lots of people were writing them
Uncle

shosta

« Reply #2453 on: June 07, 2020, 05:35:11 PM »
I love that three of the colored envelopes on the front have exactly the same handwriting
每天生气

Dickie Dee

___

shosta

« Reply #2455 on: June 07, 2020, 05:50:58 PM »
Now that Minneapolis is the epicenter of revolutionary consciousness in America, should we dethrone AOC and crown Ilhan in her place? :hmm
每天生气

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #2456 on: June 07, 2020, 05:55:21 PM »
Neat that you have to worry about the police becoming (continuing to be?) a deadly terrorist group if you disband them

lmao can you imagine what nyc would look like if the nypd was suddenly disbanded
pcp

shosta

« Reply #2457 on: June 07, 2020, 05:56:14 PM »
Are you guys psychologically prepared for Mitt Romney to say Black Lives Matter because I wasn't :dead

https://twitter.com/hannah_natanson/status/1269742337934217219
每天生气

Pennywise

« Reply #2458 on: June 07, 2020, 05:56:30 PM »

Oblivion

« Reply #2459 on: June 07, 2020, 06:11:55 PM »
looks like reggie is a #bluelivesmatter guy:

https://twitter.com/Reggie/status/1269702819117850626

:kobeyuck