Author Topic: Game of Thrones Season 8, we can finally stop waiting on GURM  (Read 112161 times)

nachobro

• Live Más
Re: Game of Thrones Season 8, we can finally stop waiting on GURM
« Reply #780 on: May 12, 2019, 10:58:43 PM »
:trumps

agrajag

« Reply #781 on: May 12, 2019, 10:59:40 PM »
"The Dothraki are now extinct"
"lol jk"

Tasty

« Reply #782 on: May 12, 2019, 11:03:56 PM »
So D&D really have a hard-on for Arya and/or Maise huh

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #783 on: May 12, 2019, 11:06:13 PM »
most popular character, and by a lot if you go by the number of babies named after her vs other characters

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #784 on: May 12, 2019, 11:12:37 PM »
Pompeii was lit

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #785 on: May 12, 2019, 11:13:55 PM »
It didn't make sense that the giant crossbows had deadly accuracy on a moving ship at sea, enough to fucking Deadshot a dragon, and couldn't hit shit in the next ep despite trying in shallow water either.

BisMarckie

« Reply #786 on: May 12, 2019, 11:14:55 PM »
This was a well written episode and didn't have any problems. I can't wait to see the conclusion to this season which hasn't suffered at all from fanfiction tier plots.

agrajag

« Reply #787 on: May 12, 2019, 11:16:11 PM »
they nerfed the scorpions

:ltg

BisMarckie

« Reply #788 on: May 12, 2019, 11:19:21 PM »
At this point it wouldn't surprise me if they went with an "everything was just a dream" ending.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 11:25:49 PM by BisMarckie »

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #789 on: May 12, 2019, 11:22:24 PM »
Lol that sucked but whatever, show is trash now. At least there's only one episode left. D&D over here like

yar

Tasty

« Reply #790 on: May 12, 2019, 11:26:34 PM »
At this point it wouldn't surprise me if they went with an "everything was just a dream" ending.

Was thinking about 75% of the way through that it might be a Bran warg/dream thing.

Tasty

« Reply #791 on: May 12, 2019, 11:27:09 PM »
Lol that sucked but whatever, show is trash now. At least there's only one episode left. D&D over here like

(Image removed from quote.)

Never thought I'd see you post a screenshot from Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #792 on: May 12, 2019, 11:31:06 PM »

Never thought I'd see you post a screenshot from Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.

Only because I couldn't find a gif

:mjcry
yar

Tasty

« Reply #793 on: May 12, 2019, 11:31:58 PM »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #794 on: May 12, 2019, 11:36:44 PM »
Semi related, is the game of thrones telltale game any good?

Nope. Neither was the Atlus RPG (published, not developed)
fat

bluemax

« Reply #795 on: May 12, 2019, 11:42:22 PM »
Suck it book wankers.
NO

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #796 on: May 12, 2019, 11:45:13 PM »

:yeshrug

El Babua

« Reply #797 on: May 12, 2019, 11:55:51 PM »
Suck it book wankers.

Your crusade against GURM backfiring as this season gets memed to death and Winds being more anticipated than ever :rejoice

BisMarckie

« Reply #798 on: May 13, 2019, 12:02:45 AM »
Emilia Clarke has to be the worst actress that had this long of a run on a big production who hasn't improved one bit.

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #799 on: May 13, 2019, 12:25:46 AM »
This episode was great.

Suck it, haters.

:lol

Himu

« Reply #800 on: May 13, 2019, 12:33:54 AM »

It has arrived. The Game of Memes.

:rejoice

Can't wait for Dany's pretty head to be chopped off next week. lmao at Arya finding some white horse in the aftermath. They really have a hard on for Maisie.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 12:41:40 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #801 on: May 13, 2019, 12:36:29 AM »
Overall, I actually liked it. Main issue I have is Jaime. He should have killed Cersei. What a crock of shit. He doesn't even have an arc. What awful writing.

The cinematography and editing in this were episode were master class shit. The Clegane brother fight where it juxtaposes between Arya and Sandor was AAA editing. Like damn.
IYKYK

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #802 on: May 13, 2019, 12:43:13 AM »
I liked it if only because I've basically given up on the show and this episode was really well directed and produced. Huge step up from the amateur hour last week.

Only the Cleganebowl worked as an actual payoff for 8 seasons of following a character - nothing else anyone did made a lick of sense.

___

Himu

« Reply #803 on: May 13, 2019, 12:44:57 AM »
I liked it if only because I've basically given up on the show and this episode was really well directed and produced. Huge step up from the amateur hour last week.

Only the Cleganebowl worked as an actual payoff for 8 seasons of following a character - nothing else did made a lick of sense.

Yeah man, my standards were so low that this was just firing on all cylinders in terms of direction, cinematography, editing, music. As a stand alone it was actually great shit. I also liked that it felt like GoT again where there are no "bad guys" and "good guys" just...guys, gals, and non binary wargs. I think that while the mad queen turn has been sort of clumsy, it was extremely well executed this episode.

The use of fire as symbolism in the early episode was :delicious

Like, this was amazing direction in terms of themes, symbolism and the whole shebang.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #804 on: May 13, 2019, 12:47:42 AM »
The Tyrion-Jaime goodbye made me cry. Very emotional scene.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #805 on: May 13, 2019, 01:14:24 AM »

Only the Cleganebowl worked as an actual payoff for 8 seasons of following a character - nothing else did made a lick of sense.

Yeah man, my standards were so low that this was just firing on all cylinders in terms of direction, cinematography, editing, music. As a stand alone it was actually great shit. I also liked that it felt like GoT again where there are no "bad guys" and "good guys" just...guys, gals, and non binary wargs. I think that while the mad queen turn has been sort of clumsy, it was extremely well executed this episode.

The use of fire as symbolism in the early episode was :delicious

Like, this was amazing direction in terms of themes, symbolism and the whole shebang.

It doesn't get more mustache-twirling evil than the bullshit we just watched.

And the whiplash of the face heel turn here is worse than in the Star Wars prequels... which is one of the weakest parts of a movie series entirely about that, and a pretty low bar to set...

:idont

Like I said pages back, Dany has always been a conqueror. She puts loyalty, fear, and tyranny above anything else.

The problem is that they had to convince us of this turn in a single 6 episode season - impossible without laying down sizable ground work -  but the signs were always there. If they had given us two more 10 episode seasons and slowly pushed Dany towards the brink? It would have worked much better. But that didn't happen. However, I don't oppose Dany being the mad queen entirely. The bread crumbs have always been there.
IYKYK

bluemax

« Reply #806 on: May 13, 2019, 01:16:41 AM »
Suck it book wankers.

Your crusade against GURM backfiring as this season gets memed to death and Winds being more anticipated than ever :rejoice

I mean this season has been absolute trash. Don't get me wrong, I'm not championing what's happening. The books are never coming and all the nonsense Gurm built up doesn't amount to anything interesting.
NO

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #807 on: May 13, 2019, 01:19:27 AM »

:whew

Himu

« Reply #808 on: May 13, 2019, 01:22:47 AM »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #809 on: May 13, 2019, 01:29:34 AM »
Remember in A Dance With Dragons when Dany was stuck in Mereen to learn to rule and pretty much lost the city to the slavers? She was like one push away from burning the entire city down. Hell, you can see it in the show as well. Dany is a shit ruler. People can bitch about what the show is all they want, but mad queen Dany?

IYKYK

thetylerrob

« Reply #810 on: May 13, 2019, 01:30:52 AM »
I wonder how many people made the high ground joke, I sure did.

Himu

« Reply #811 on: May 13, 2019, 01:34:06 AM »
I wonder how many people made the high ground joke, I sure did.

low hanging fruit but very funny low hanging fruit
IYKYK

thetylerrob

« Reply #812 on: May 13, 2019, 01:44:47 AM »
Gosh what a good ass episode. Except for the whole Jaime thing.

Himu

« Reply #813 on: May 13, 2019, 01:45:10 AM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/bny8be/spoilers_main_we_just_witnessed_grrms_ending_his/

That was it. That was the scouring of the shire that GRRM intended to end with. Some of it didn't make complete sense because the way we got there was very different to how the books will get there, but that was GRRM's ending for sure. Although he will likely change it now (that's assuming he ever finishes the books).

The Northmen who we assumed as the good guys are rapists. The unsullied who we assumed are the liberators kill unarmed people. Danerys who we assumed would be free of the curse of Targaryen genes is a mad queen. Cleganebowl results in Sandor dying by (a fall into) fire, his worst fear. GRRM wasn't subverting our expectations like D&D tried to in the rest of season 8, but he did want to twist a knife into our guts with a cruel reminder that in the world of ice and fire, there are no good guys and bad guys.

Episode 5 may be inconsistent with the rest of season 8, but that's because the show writers didn't follow all the steps in getting there. But as a book reader I'm convinced that generally speaking that was how George wanted this story to end. GRRM himself stated the show's ending will be pretty damn similar to his own based on everything he told D&D.

I will now be downvoted to oblivion.

EDIT: as someone who disliked season 7 and the rest of season 8, I actually really really enjoyed this episode. To me it felt like a return to form, because it was based off of source material again. Was it perfect? No. It's the show. But it was pretty great if you ask me. I want to emphasize that obviously because the show has made so many differences, it won't be EXACTLY like that in the books. But I think the general themes are all there for sure.

GURM YOU HAVE NO MORE POWER!!!

IYKYK

El Babua

« Reply #814 on: May 13, 2019, 01:45:37 AM »
As a single episode in a bubble, it was pretty good IMO

As for how it wraps up the story lol

I expected Dany to blow up King's Landing by feeling herself too much as she roasts Lannister soldiers and blows up a cache of wildfire setting up a chain reaction, not her methodically burning every man, woman and child in the city street by street :dead

Himu

« Reply #815 on: May 13, 2019, 02:05:38 AM »
I'm 100% with you. I've really disliked seasons 6-8... Until this episode. This made it click for me. This GRR's ending.

He's subverting your expectations by letting history play out exactly as it always has. Nothing has changed. What we witnessed is the rise of a tyrant: you root for them, you love them, you empathize with them, you watch in awe as she conquers for after foe. And then you see it. You see what's happening.

There's no Sauron, no orcs, no evil wizards or ultimate evils. The whole point of the Night King being such a dud villain (I think) was to show what GRR had said before: the real monsters are humans.

The final villain of the series is not Cersei or Littlefinger or Euron: it's Dany. Honestly looking back, how else could this shake out? "Have you ever seen a war where innocents didn't die by the thousands?"

Game of Thrones is Return of the King, but portraying what it actually looks like when "kings" come back to claim their "rightful" place. It's not orcs vs. men, it's men vs. men.

It's what GRR's story was always about.

I'll give credit where it's due. The scenes of Arya, Jon and others witnessing the massacre from street-level were suitably horrific. It really rammed home that this is a story that isn't supposed to be about glorifying warfare, and never has been. If I'd seen them in total isolation from what led up to them, they would have been incredibly powerful.

I'm already witnessing a lot of people who expect (and want) a Disney fairy tale ending raging :rejoice
IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #816 on: May 13, 2019, 02:15:14 AM »
lol the writing is so cheap. They had to explain Dany's heel turn with Targaryan coin flip math. Magic giant crossbows can't miss one episode, completely useless the next. These fuckers just do whatever they want to force square pegs into a round hole.

:neogaf

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #817 on: May 13, 2019, 02:16:32 AM »
每天生气

Himu

« Reply #818 on: May 13, 2019, 02:17:11 AM »
lol the writing is so cheap. They had to explain Dany's heel turn with Targaryan coin flip math. Magic giant crossbows can't miss one episode, completely useless the next. These fuckers just do whatever they want to force square pegs into a round hole.

:neogaf

Absolutely. But I feel in this case, those feel like nitpicks. This ep was so well done I don't even care they massacred my boy Jaime.

"Mom what happens after Game of Thrones season 7?"
"IT DOESN'T EXIST!"

:sabu
IYKYK

El Babua

« Reply #819 on: May 13, 2019, 02:19:19 AM »
Also, the sack of the city was pretty well done, they even ramped up the gore to show - hey guess what, this war shit sucks and there are no good guys - just innocents who suffer. Also, modern allegories with fire bombing, etc. It just feels so off-putting when the good guys commit war crimes huh? Episode 3 felt like a mid tier fantasy movie, while this one came as close to ASOIAF depiction of war as you can get.

But holy hell, Euron's last words were basically "I got you bro" before dying

Jaimie and Cersei going out like that was...okay I guess

Dany just laying waste to those scorpions while they were able to take out a dragon sucked shit. There was no reason to kill Rhaegal last episode tbh, would have created more tension and a more believable reaction for Dany's heel turn if they did it during this one. I guess the CGI budget and the writers thinking "Hey, why isn't Jon riding when it was established that he could" prevented them from going through with it.

Oh and the spoilers I read were completely correct.

agrajag

« Reply #820 on: May 13, 2019, 02:20:43 AM »
Euron is so menacing and mysterious in the books. This Euron is a cartoon villain. "I'm the man who killed Jaime Lannister." What a goof :lol

Himu

« Reply #821 on: May 13, 2019, 02:21:18 AM »
Real talk I'm excited for the final ep after ep 5

IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #822 on: May 13, 2019, 02:21:56 AM »
So were the spoilers accurate so far El Babua?

Himu

« Reply #823 on: May 13, 2019, 02:23:04 AM »
Also, the sack of the city was pretty well done, they even ramped up the gore to show - hey guess what, this war shit sucks and there are no good guys - just innocents who suffer. Also, modern allegories with fire bombing, etc. It just feels so off-putting when the good guys commit war crimes huh? Episode 3 felt like a mid tier fantasy movie, while this one came as close to ASOIAF depiction of war as you can get.

But holy hell, Euron's last words were basically "I got you bro" before dying

Jaimie and Cersei going out like that was...okay I guess

Dany just laying waste to those scorpions while they were able to take out a dragon sucked shit. There was no reason to kill Rhaegal last episode tbh, would have created more tension and a more believable reaction for Dany's heel turn if they did it during this one. I guess the CGI budget and the writers thinking "Hey, why isn't Jon riding when it was established that he could" prevented them from going through with it.

Oh and the spoilers I read were completely correct.

Rhaegal going out like that sucks especially now because there's no opportunity to have jon vs dany in a dragon fight. :tocry
IYKYK

El Babua

« Reply #824 on: May 13, 2019, 02:23:29 AM »
So were the spoilers accurate so far El Babua?

100%

Edit: No plot spoilers, but info gleamed from sources

spoiler (click to show/hide)
They may have filmed multiple endings to throw people off. One of them is pretty lel
[close]

agrajag

« Reply #825 on: May 13, 2019, 02:25:59 AM »
Tyrion is the biggest fool ever. He's so getting spit roasted next episode.

Himu

« Reply #826 on: May 13, 2019, 02:27:54 AM »
I think what Tyrion did was smart. Varys came up to Jon and Jon turned him down. Jon would have told her what happened and she'd piece two and two together and kill both Varys and Tyrion I'd wager. By coming forward, I think Tyrion saved his bacon. Varys understood too. I don't see any reason she'll toast Tyrion next week. What do you have in mind?
IYKYK

shosta

« Reply #827 on: May 13, 2019, 02:29:07 AM »
Would love to see Dany get spitroasted :drool
每天生气

agrajag

« Reply #828 on: May 13, 2019, 02:30:11 AM »
when she finds out that he freed Jaime. She warned him he's skating on thin ice.

Himu

« Reply #829 on: May 13, 2019, 02:31:50 AM »
when she finds out that he freed Jaime. She warned him he's skating on thin ice.

I think Tyrion will be saved even if she wants to kill him.
IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #830 on: May 13, 2019, 02:37:16 AM »
yea, that's the only way. But the way it's been lately, no one is safe. I think she's taking out a couple more people before they off her.

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #831 on: May 13, 2019, 02:37:47 AM »
I liked it :rejoice

Arya will assassinate the shit out of Khaleesi next episode :mouf
Margs

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #832 on: May 13, 2019, 02:42:35 AM »
much better than i expected, i might have even loved it. this episode felt like it was developed off of grrm's cliffnotes unlike the others, so that helps. it's obvious to me now that d&d wrote themselves in a corner with the creation of the night king but the story beats are there, and i'd argue they are quite good, especially dany's.

unfortunately, the whole season has been rushed so the landing isn't quite there. there was seemingly a lot of time between the battle of winterfell and the siege of king's landing where a time lapsed episode showcasing dany's slow demise knowing jon's lineage is no longer a secret would've helped with her characterization and motives. then again, are d&d even capable of writing such an episode? no, lol and it's not like emila clarke has the acting chops to carry such a load though i will give her credit, she is much improved this season. and she's hot af

agrajag

« Reply #833 on: May 13, 2019, 02:50:50 AM »
Man, Season 1 was so good. When Joffrey forced Sansa to look at Ned's head on the spike got more of an emotional reaction out of me than anything in thus episode.

Himu

« Reply #834 on: May 13, 2019, 02:51:38 AM »
If they gave us two more seasons I think they could have stuck the landing here. But what we're seeing now is classic ASOIAF despite whatever fuck ups there are to the point where I don't give a single fuck.

yea, that's the only way. But the way it's been lately, no one is safe. I think she's taking out a couple more people before they off her.

True but at this point, I don't see the point in Tyrion being roasted alive. What does his story get out of it? With Varys it's predicted as part of his character arc and he dies doing what he lived for: doing what he felt was right for the realm. Tyrion being roasted alive. What does he gain? That would be a senseless death from a writing perspective. Jaime and Cersei dying (and we don't know if they're actually dead using the "no body" rule) in that manner works even if I disagree with it furiously. I did predict that they'll die together so that makes sense to me. Tyrion dying from dragon fire in next episode? What does he gain as a character? What does his story gain or even say?

The only way he's threatened with real danger is if he actively betrays Dany and works against her to try to put Jon on the throne. And at this point it's likely he'll be sticking with Jon who won't be dying any time soon. So I think Tyrion is safe.

But it's so hard to predict his fate it could go either way.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #835 on: May 13, 2019, 03:06:58 AM »
Unfortunately, whether the final episode is good or not I feel it will be divisive.

You have:

- People who think this should end like a Disney movie
- Cynical book readers
- Cynical tv watchers
- People who have legitimate criticisms but seem to be overblowing them
- Generic fantasy fans who expect LOTR
- People who are ride or die hardcore
- People who just want to see it all burn
- People that have realistic expectations of the show
- Casual fans
- Theorists
- People who bitch about everything no matter how good or bad it is
- Some of us have been watching for one year and binge watched it because of the hype for the last season
- the rest of us have been a fan of the books and show for a decade plus

And we're all in one big pot.

In other words...

« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 03:11:09 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #836 on: May 13, 2019, 03:26:18 AM »
I just kind of want a high fantasy series that is in between LOTR and GoT tonally. I do like the grit and the edge, but sometimes it is a bit over done. And I miss some of LOTR's idealistic optimism.

Like I used to enjoy big battles in movies, especially set in medieval-esque time periods. Maybe I am getting soft in my old age. But now it's like "all thrse innocent peoppe getting slaughtered, so much collateral damage, make it stop

:brazilcry "

Himu

« Reply #837 on: May 13, 2019, 03:36:35 AM »
One of the big reasons I love this series (tv and book) is because of its realistic portrayal of humanity. So it really, really worked for me. The more I think about it the more I like.

Jon seeing his men fall to the barbarism of mankind committing every sin imaginable after trying to rally against an inhuman enemy for two-three seasons was POWERFUL to me. Here's this guy who has been saying,"the Night King will be the end of us" and nope, humanity is.

As a book reader who already knew the story going in, I think this might be the most powerful episode of GoT I've ever seen.
IYKYK

shosta

« Reply #838 on: May 13, 2019, 03:42:47 AM »
Sacking the entire city would have been normal in warfare all the way up until the Renaissance period. If you surrendered immediately the denizens would go largely unmolested but if you resisted because you calculated you could hold out until reinforcements arrived every person in the city would have been considered an enemy combatant. The sieges of the First Crusade (Antioch, Jerusalem) come to mind as something routinely cited for barbarism despite being normal for the time period. Tens of thousands of people died.
每天生气

agrajag

« Reply #839 on: May 13, 2019, 03:46:31 AM »
here is the reason I said Tyrion is a fool. His cockamamie plan of putting all his eggs in the basket of having Jaime convince a megalomaniacal Cersei (who thinks she's winning on top of everything) is just so. fucking. stupid. Not to mention the hilariously small probability of Jaime getting there in time (which of course he didn't). Like how many times are they going to try the "guy tries to sneak into a crowded, hostile castle" trope in a single show?

And of course, Arya and Hound just waltz into King's Landing like it's nothing. No one recognizes the giant man with half his face covered in scars because he's wearing a hoodie.