Author Topic: Game of Thrones Season 8, we can finally stop waiting on GURM  (Read 109863 times)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Re: Game of Thrones Season 8, we can finally stop waiting on GURM
« Reply #540 on: May 08, 2019, 05:39:40 PM »
"They kinda forgot their elephants"

mfw Qyburn bulids a tank.
🤴

agrajag

« Reply #541 on: May 08, 2019, 05:54:59 PM »
"They kinda forgot their elephants"

mfw Qyburn bulids a tank.

now that's what I call good writin' - riotous, MMArSu

Himu

« Reply #542 on: May 08, 2019, 05:57:26 PM »
Ya'll are obsessed;  the episode kinda sucked.. move on with yo' lives until the next episode lol

This message is for the entire fucking internet not just The Bore.. Jesus never seen so much whining.

It's still entertaining. I still ultimately like it or I otherwise wouldn't be watching it. Sorry but I'm the type that criticizes the media I love.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #543 on: May 08, 2019, 07:46:51 PM »
What do you all think of Dany = being the mad queen?

Here's where I think it has merit:

- Dany feels owed the crown

- she has witnessed and committed horrific acts of violence. For one, she instigated her brothers murder by toppling hot melted gold on his head. In the books and also in the show, we have sympathy towards Dany here because he always treated her like crap. But even if Viserys was a dick, when you look outside of her perspective it's till a woman executing her own brother. We think Michael Corleone is a monster by the end of Godfather II for doing similar and compared to say, Tyrion, who had a retributive reason for killing his father,  Dany kills Viserys because she views him as a threat to her crown. Even Michael isn't there when Fredo get killed. Dany however revels in Viserys' murder.

- She crucified those who defied her in Essos, she has been about fire brimstone. From her perspective, she dolled out rightful justice. But outside of her perspective we see someone who throws those who defy her to their death.

- she is obsessed from almost the start with gaining what is "rightfully" hers, a place she has never been to and cannot remember. A place where she is a foreigner.

- Time and time again she shown complete cruelty while arguing that she is freeing those from captivity.

Daenerys Stormborn is already a conqueror. What most seem to disagree on is the definition of "mad". Some think it means crazy. Others think burning people alive just for not bending the knee counts as mad. Others, just merely totalitarian.

The show continuously shows the differences in the ruling methods between Jon and Daenerys.

- When Jon is revived and orders the people who killed him to be executed, he can barely look at them. He doesn't relish in delight at their pain and these are people who literally killed him.

- has the rightful birth right to the throne, doesn't want it

- Dany gets others to follow her by conquest and a show of might. Jon does so through putting his ass on the line multiple times.

- Jon had a home of Winterfell but took up the black. Jon knows where his home is and leaves it repeatedly because of circumstance or of higher duty. Dany doesn't even have a home but wants what she feels is "rightfully" hers.

So what are your thoughts? Is Dany mad? Will she become mad or is she already?

I expect her to toast Varys once he's lost any belief in her and reveals publicly Jon's lineage.
IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #544 on: May 08, 2019, 07:50:51 PM »
it does run in the family and she certainly doesn't seem like the most stable individual

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #545 on: May 08, 2019, 07:52:03 PM »

- she has witnessed and committed horrific acts of violence. For one, she instigated her brothers murder by toppling hot melted gold on his head. In the books and also in the show, we have sympathy towards Dany here because he always treated her like crap. But even if Viserys was a dick, when you look outside of her perspective it's till a woman executing her own brother. We think Michael Corleone is a monster by the end of Godfather II for doing similar and compared to say, Tyrion, who had a retributive reason for killing his father,  Dany kills Viserys because she views him as a threat to her crown. Even Michael isn't there when Fredo get killed. Dany however revels in Viserys' murder.

- She crucified those who defied her in Essos, she has been about fire brimstone. From her perspective, she dolled out rightful justice. But outside of her perspective we see someone who throws those who defy her to their death.

- she is obsessed from almost the start with gaining what is "rightfully" hers, a place she has never been to and cannot remember. A place where she is a foreigner.

- Time and time again she shown complete cruelty while arguing that she is freeing those from captivity.

Daenerys Stormborn is already a conqueror. What most seem to disagree on is the definition of "mad". Some think it means crazy. Others think burning people alive just for not bending the knee counts as mad. Others, just merely totalitarian.

The show continuously shows the differences in the ruling methods between Jon and Daenerys.

- When Jon is revived and orders the people who killed him to be executed, he can barely look at them. He doesn't relish in delight at their pain and these are people who literally killed him.

- Dany gets others to follow her by conquest and a show of might. Jon does so through putting his ass on the line multiple times.

- Jon had a home of Winterfell but took up the black. Jon knows where his home is and leaves it repeatedly because of circumstance or of higher duty. Dany doesn't even have a home but wants what she feels is "rightfully" hers.

I expect her to toast Varys once he's lost any belief in her and reveals publicly Jon's lineage.

lol just unplug your brain

Himu

« Reply #546 on: May 08, 2019, 07:54:19 PM »
it does run in the family and she certainly doesn't seem like the most stable individual

I think what throws people off is that Daenerys doesn't seem cruel, at least not entirely.

I think in the end she might have the saddest arc.

lol just unplug your brain

Mmmm...when I watch the show these days I do. Like I said above I no longer have any real expectations. That said, I still have a passion for the story/characters/books/show and I like discussing/thinking about it. :idont
IYKYK

El Babua

« Reply #547 on: May 08, 2019, 08:10:41 PM »
There's an age old theory about Dany being a subversion of a Dark Lord in your typical fantasy novel.

I mean a villain trying to conquer a the land with an army of dark-skinned savages, slave soldiers, and mythical creatures is a pretty easy thing to write, but getting the audience to emphasize with that is completely different.

As far as her being a mad queen goes, I still think she'll blow up King's Landing in both the book and the show, but she'll try to atone for it by facing the Others in the book while losing everything in the show.

agrajag

« Reply #548 on: May 08, 2019, 08:14:31 PM »
didn't Varys outright state last episode that he's afraid of her mad queen tendencies? The show is very clearly setting her up as one of the final bads to overcome.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #549 on: May 08, 2019, 08:20:34 PM »
All monarchs are a bad to overcome. :bolo

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #550 on: May 08, 2019, 08:42:00 PM »
do something else then nerd.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #551 on: May 09, 2019, 03:11:17 AM »
 :no1curr

Daenerys is, and has always been, complete trash.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #552 on: May 09, 2019, 06:38:46 AM »

Himu

« Reply #553 on: May 09, 2019, 07:45:23 AM »
didn't Varys outright state last episode that he's afraid of her mad queen tendencies? The show is very clearly setting her up as one of the final bads to overcome.

I know. But many are like,”DANY IS MAD FOR A REASON, THEY JUST KILLED HER DRAGON AND MISSANDEI AND I DONT BUY THAT SHE’S MAD”. People are really defensive of her.
IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #554 on: May 09, 2019, 10:11:25 AM »

I know. But many are like,”DANY IS MAD FOR A REASON, THEY JUST KILLED HER DRAGON AND MISSANDEI AND I DONT BUY THAT SHE’S MAD”. People are really defensive of her.

I don't blame them tbh. Throughout the seasons they set her up as a messianic figure who is destined to lead and liberate. Although they peppered in examples of her being cruel, I could see people handwave that away as appropriate for the time period they are in. After all, the show literally opened with Ned executing some poor schlub, and Ned was painted as the paragon of virtue.

Idk, I felt kind of bad for Dany when everyone was celebrating and praising Jon Snow and she had to sit there dejected. She does have some negative traits and does feel entitled, but on the other hand she did have a pretty rough life and she does love Jon and Missandei. She risked her life multiple times and she risked her life saving Jon and had no regrets losing her dragon to save his ass.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #555 on: May 09, 2019, 10:20:37 AM »
Danny getting into that sweet misandry for missandei

agrajag

« Reply #556 on: May 09, 2019, 10:36:21 AM »
She's not really a schemer.

agrajag

« Reply #557 on: May 09, 2019, 10:51:52 AM »
I like the theory of Varys getting to cute and getting lit up. Maybe Tyrion snitches. He hasn't done anything of consequence in a long tkme.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #558 on: May 09, 2019, 11:10:04 AM »
Really surprised this long awaited season isn't measuring up to unattainable expectations.  :doge
©ZH

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #559 on: May 09, 2019, 11:29:27 AM »
 ::)

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #560 on: May 09, 2019, 12:12:53 PM »
Really surprised this long awaited season isn't measuring up to unattainable expectations.  :doge
Yeah after 3 shitty seasons, i had such high expectations!

Himu

« Reply #561 on: May 09, 2019, 12:59:52 PM »

I don't blame them tbh. Throughout the seasons they set her up as a messianic figure who is destined to lead and liberate. Although they peppered in examples of her being cruel, I could see people handwave that away as appropriate for the time period they are in. After all, the show literally opened with Ned executing some poor schlub, and Ned was painted as the paragon of virtue.

Idk, I felt kind of bad for Dany when everyone was celebrating and praising Jon Snow and she had to sit there dejected. She does have some negative traits and does feel entitled, but on the other hand she did have a pretty rough life and she does love Jon and Missandei. She risked her life multiple times and she risked her life saving Jon and had no regrets losing her dragon to save his ass.

I think the difference between Ned executing a man and Dany is that Ned didn't like it. This guy left Castle Black. It was against the law to desert. Ned believed a lord should carry out his own justice. He uses one big swipe to end it. Dany however gives cruel deaths. Crucifixion, burning while alive, being eaten by dragons even. Ned doesn't like it but has to see it through much like Jon. Dany however does it to flex her power. I think there's a massive difference. Executing people is a thing. Some men are gonna get executed. But burning alive? Crucifixion?
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #562 on: May 09, 2019, 01:06:56 PM »
The point is, Dany does cruel acts. Like I said in my original post, when you look from her perspective crucifying slave masters and shit is justice but when you look outside of it, it starts to look real loony.

The point isn't that "Dany kills!". It's how and WHY she kills.

She's in a foreign land demanding people to bend the knee in a place she's never been to. She toasted Sam's family because they wouldn't bend the knee. Would Ned do that? Like Sam said, sometimes rulers need to have mercy. Dany feels owed the crown. It's her destiny, her birthright;etc.

The only comparison originally made was to Jon, who as a ruler has been merciful and does not feel delight when executing men - even men who actually, literally killed him.

Dany is a bad ruler. Whether or not she's mad, though. That's the debate.
IYKYK

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #563 on: May 09, 2019, 01:18:49 PM »
The point is, Dany does cruel acts. Like I said in my original post, when you look from her perspective crucifying slave masters and shit is justice but when you look outside of it, it starts to look real loony.
Seems pretty standard stuff for medieval times.  :yeshrug
Though it appears loony, in the sanitized context of a modern TV show.

Himu

« Reply #564 on: May 09, 2019, 01:21:23 PM »
Fair, philosophical arguments made. :obama

Let's see how the show plays it out. Hopefully it's satisfactory, bare minimum.
IYKYK

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #565 on: May 09, 2019, 01:35:06 PM »
Let's see how the show plays it out. Hopefully it's satisfactory, bare minimum.

Show fades to black.

*The Game of Thrones will continue...

In cinema

Winter 2019*

Himu

« Reply #566 on: May 09, 2019, 01:37:42 PM »
So it seems D&D want nothing more to do with GoT. HBO offered them to do this right: two more seasons full length 10 episodes a piece. D&D are bored with it and decided they want out. So there's a blessing in that future GoT adaptations on HBO won't have ANYTHING to do with D&D.
IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #567 on: May 09, 2019, 01:45:29 PM »
Counterpoint: Ned had no reason to want that guy dead, Randyll Tarly and his failson were douche canoes.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #568 on: May 09, 2019, 01:59:55 PM »
Slavery is illegal in Westeros, how could Ned the Failure fight it there?

I guess by supporting King Robert Ned supports the integration of Westeros into a world economic system that cannot function without widespread slavery via high finance (the Iron Bank essentially underwrote Westeros for N years) but we're talking about someone so stupid that you can't recount their deeds in season 1 without erupting into laughter so the concept of uneven and combined development seems unlikely to register in his pea-brain.

Kara

« Reply #569 on: May 09, 2019, 02:00:26 PM »
^shut up nerd

agrajag

« Reply #570 on: May 09, 2019, 02:17:31 PM »
Ned's the one who stripped Jorah of his lands and banished him for slave trade, no?

Kara

« Reply #571 on: May 09, 2019, 02:31:37 PM »
Ned's the one who stripped Jorah of his lands and banished him for slave trade, no?

He sentenced him to death!

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #572 on: May 09, 2019, 02:32:04 PM »
Wait, why would Ned try to invade a completely different continent, to end slavery? I'm lost as to what your point there is, even though i agree with the larger one about Ned and Dany not being directly comparable, morally speaking.

Himu

« Reply #573 on: May 09, 2019, 02:36:56 PM »
Why are you even comparing Ned to Dany? The main point of comparison is Jon and Dany.

Original post here:

IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #574 on: May 09, 2019, 02:55:33 PM »
One line. Look at the whole argument.

Compare.

vs

vs

Dany executes prisoners of war. Look at how Jon and Ned carry out an execution and WHY they're carrying it out. Dany kills only to show her might.
IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #575 on: May 09, 2019, 03:01:08 PM »
I brought Ned, it's my fault  :lol

Himu

« Reply #576 on: May 09, 2019, 03:02:25 PM »
IYKYK

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #577 on: May 09, 2019, 03:08:14 PM »
Ned was such a centrist.
Robert was right about everything. He wanted Dany dead because she would cross the narrow sea.

Dany would've never brought her dragons and the dead dragon couldn't have brought down the wall.

Robert was the last strong and capable leader of Westeros.
🤴

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #578 on: May 09, 2019, 03:08:48 PM »

Himu

« Reply #579 on: May 09, 2019, 03:11:35 PM »
Ned was such a centrist.
Robert was right about everything. He wanted Dany dead because she would cross the narrow sea.

Dany would've never brought her dragons and the dead dragon couldn't have brought down the wall.

Robert was a terrible ruler.

Your GoT political opinions really are as bad as your real political opinions :lol

Robert did nothing but get laid, get drunk, and get fat. Ned, his hand, practically acted as king during his tenure as the position.
IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #580 on: May 09, 2019, 03:26:13 PM »
This is the last I'll say about Dany because I don't like defending her, but someone has tom

She grew up an orphan with a very abusive brother. Her parents and almost entire family was massacred by an usurper. When she was a teenager, she was sold by said brother into an arranged marriage with a barbarian who raped her. Then she got pregnant and lost her child and her husband.

Keep in mind that some of the people she executed were fighting on the side that butchered her parents, and that ordered an assasination attempt on her own life. Her enemies were allied with people who tried to eradicate her entire bloodline, as she perceives it.

Contrast this with Jon. Although he was a bastard, Ned raised him well, in a safe environment, amongst siblings that accepted him as one of their own, more or less. When he got to Castle Black, he was Mr. entitled I am better than everyone. He was lucky to be surrounded with wise counselors and true friends that gave him sincere advice.

Dany never had that benefit, she was always surrounded by people with ulterior motives who tried to take advantage of her in one way or another. Whether it's the scheming Illyrio Mopatis and Varys, or her husband in Qarth, or thirsty Jorah. She's always had to rely on her inner voice to make big decisions. And she made some bad ones, but also liberated thousands of people. Missandei and Grey Worm probably have a different view of her than some others.

So all in all, she is more of a conflicted, morally gray character than Jon, and that makes her more interesting imo. Compound that with her being hot, and girl power, and I can see why a lot of viewers root for her, despite her shortcomings.

Himu

« Reply #581 on: May 09, 2019, 03:28:59 PM »
Dany will definitely go down as probably the most tragic and gray character.
IYKYK

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #582 on: May 09, 2019, 03:33:58 PM »
Ned was such a centrist.

Robert was a terrible ruler.

(Image removed from quote.)

Your GoT political opinions really are as bad as your real political opinions :lol

Robert did nothing but get laid, get drunk, and get fat. Ned, his hand, practically acted as king during his tenure as the position.
Robert: "Kill Dany"
Ned: "Think about the children"
Robert: "Don't trust any of these snakes"
Ned: "I'm gonna tell Cersei I know her biggest secret"

Robert lived with the Lannisters for a decade. Did Ned really think he didn't know his wife and her brother were fucking?

Joffrey: Starts the war with the North by not having Ned go home but instead executing him.
A man who has to tell everyone he is the King, is no King. Luckily wins a war because of a deal Walder Frey made with his grandpa.

Tommen: Another Lannnister fuckboi who is easily deceived by his 'wife' and the faith militant.

Cersei: When she goes broke she steals the gold of another house to shore up her armies and treasury.
Invites rapin' pirates and doesn't do anything to make peace or protect her people from the armies of the undead.
Now awaits with glee for all her subjects to be burned and raped to death in the last city she controls.

Robert Baratheon was the last good ruler of Westeros. His biggest mistake was giving power to Ned Stark.
🤴

agrajag

« Reply #583 on: May 09, 2019, 03:35:34 PM »
Cindi, Nintex is a Trump fan, what did you expect?

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #584 on: May 09, 2019, 03:40:12 PM »
Robert should've called for Stannis to help him, not Ned.

Stannis would've burned most of the council at the stake.
🤴

Himu

« Reply #585 on: May 09, 2019, 03:42:53 PM »
So it seems D&D want nothing more to do with GoT. HBO offered them to do this right: two more seasons full length 10 episodes a piece. D&D are bored with it and decided they want out. So there's a blessing in that future GoT adaptations on HBO won't have ANYTHING to do with D&D.

They should have just replaced the showrunners instead of moving forward with this disaster.

Agreed. I wonder what HBO thinks of the latest seasons reviews.
IYKYK

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #586 on: May 09, 2019, 03:52:17 PM »

For real? Source?
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #587 on: May 09, 2019, 03:54:15 PM »
 :snob "Wanna sign with Disney for Star Wars bois?"

:gladbron :aah "Yes please!"

:success "Would be nice if you also destroyed the competition for our new streaming service on the way out"
🤴

Kara

« Reply #588 on: May 09, 2019, 03:59:34 PM »
Someone post some memes this convo has run it's course lol

agrajag

« Reply #589 on: May 09, 2019, 04:03:03 PM »
looks like Drogon was hungry

Himu

« Reply #590 on: May 09, 2019, 04:04:12 PM »
Yeah, hardly looks like the place Sansa dreamed of. Winterfell looks better.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #591 on: May 09, 2019, 04:08:19 PM »
Re: Drogon probably getting armor next ep: how much Valyrian steel did they have for the White Walkers?

BisMarckie

« Reply #592 on: May 09, 2019, 04:09:53 PM »
This wasn't an unplug your brain show until recently, despite Benioff and Weiss' best efforts to dumb things down. If it had been an unplug your brain show from the beginning, a lot of us wouldn't have watched it past the first few episodes.

So a lot of us aren't content to just watch it like it's Transformers.

It always was an unplug your brain show. :ufup

Dude, it was always schlocky and trite. That’s not necessary a bad thing, but recently it has gone from a good unplug your brain show to a shoot your brains out type of show.

If it was a good show the loser virgin Stannis would have called for an Imperial Diet and we would have had one season of interpreting law whether he was the legitimate king according to the law of westeros. :aah
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 04:19:15 PM by KennyLoggins »

Tasty

« Reply #593 on: May 09, 2019, 04:10:33 PM »

For real? Source?

The option was there, but the decision was made for longer episodes and a higher per-episode budget.

Himu

« Reply #594 on: May 09, 2019, 04:11:24 PM »

could listen to george all day talk about this shit
IYKYK

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #595 on: May 09, 2019, 04:25:28 PM »
The lord of light is the only god that showed up.
©ZH

Himu

« Reply #596 on: May 09, 2019, 04:50:38 PM »
The lord of light is the only god that showed up.

Technically not true.

It's said Stark men don't do well down south, right? Well, Stark men worship the Old Gods. The Old Gods have no power down south because they cut down their heart trees in a time of war. There's a few scattering of Heart Trees, but ultimately, they really don't have any power there. You could say Stark's have divine protection by the Old Gods.

The New Gods (the seven) are perhaps the most absent Gods next to the Drowned God. But that's only in the show.

Then there's the Faceless God. I'd say they've shown themselves as pretty demonstrable.
IYKYK

Kara

« Reply #597 on: May 09, 2019, 06:05:24 PM »
If it was a good show the loser virgin Stannis would have called for an Imperial Diet and we would have had one season of interpreting law whether he was the legitimate king according to the law of westeros. :aah

Jeder soll nach seiner Façon selig werden. :wag

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #598 on: May 09, 2019, 06:33:30 PM »
There's an interesting theory.

- Littlefinger says his great grandfather was from Bravos.

- It is unclear but he might have spread the rumor that started Robert's rebellion

- He started the war of the 5 kings

- He gives Bran the dagger that will kill the Night King.

- Before he dies he meets a woman who whispers "your time is up".  He gives her a coin and she looks distressed.

- Littlefinger is right handed. Yet when he got stabbed he grabbed his neck with his left hand.

- A faceless woman replaced Littlefinger at the trial. Littlefinger is Lightbringer or Azor Ahai.
🤴

Himu

« Reply #599 on: May 09, 2019, 07:00:17 PM »
How does any of this prove he is the Azor Ahai?

Among book readers, most believe Jaime is Azor Ahai. Never heard of this for Baelish.
IYKYK