Author Topic: Game of Thrones Season 8, we can finally stop waiting on GURM  (Read 105891 times)

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
Re: Game of Thrones Season 8, we can finally stop waiting on GURM
« Reply #300 on: May 01, 2019, 03:39:02 PM »
Yeah ofcourse that foreshadowing is bull. But it fits nicely imo. Arya is next to Aegon the only one realistically who could kill the NK.

But I guess if ur like nah Arya is still a noob and no master assassin ( which the show clearly needs to spell out for some ) then I understand why you wouldnt take that as possibility.

It doesn't fit anything. Melissandre said "brown blue and green eyes". Basically meaning, potentially anyone. Lots of people. Whatever. It has fuck all to do with the NK.

Arya can certainly fight, and Sylvio would be proud, I'll give you that.

But the whole "master assassin" thing makes me laugh. It's not exactly hard to assassinate people when you have access to magical face masks that make you look and sound exactly like whoever the fuck you want.
Call me when she infiltrates the Red Keep and wipes everyone out, without using cheat mode.

Himu

« Reply #301 on: May 01, 2019, 05:05:49 PM »
never mind, we have. Forgot about that.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #302 on: May 01, 2019, 05:27:18 PM »
Enough about stupid shit. And I'm surprised most of you are complaining about shit like the Dothraki running into the darkness and not character moments. Character moments like the fact they put Tyrion - one of the smartest men in the seven kingdoms - as well as Varys - nearly his equal - in the crypts and NEITHER of them considered the fact they were in a crypt where the main villain RESURRECTS THE FUCKING DEAD and yet didn't consider arming every woman and child in that room. Because this is GoT and good writing went out the window as soon as they passed the books.

Anyways, I really liked the episode despite all of the stupidity.

Jorah dying a complete badass gave me life! Jorah didn't quit. He got on his feet to fight for his queen despite all of it until the very end.

Beric had a great death too. Stabbed a billion times and fulfilling his destiny he sought so much.

I LOVED seeing the badass characters - Greyworm, Hound, even Arya - scared shitless. Despite their combat experience they had never fought anything like this.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 05:32:12 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #303 on: May 01, 2019, 05:36:15 PM »

But the whole "master assassin" thing makes me laugh. It's not exactly hard to assassinate people when you have access to magical face masks that make you look and sound exactly like whoever the fuck you want.

It's like you're forgetting Arya had actual assassin training. Even while blind.

Oh she's using a pole. I wonder what kind of weapon she used last episode?

Oh right.

Let's not forget she already learned the fundamentals of combat and swordsmanship from one of the best swordsmen in the kingdoms.

Arya's development as a seasoned warrior is believable and probably one of the most weird complaints anyone could make about this story. "Where did she even come from?" is a more cogent question from a film making/editing standpoint.
IYKYK

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #304 on: May 01, 2019, 07:05:32 PM »
The real question is why they expanded the role of Sir Davos beyond handing out soup when making their battle plans.
🤴

Raist

« Reply #305 on: May 02, 2019, 01:32:05 AM »
Cindi, I don't dispute that she's a talented fighter. I even said so in my last post.

I don't get the assassin thing. She came out of nowhere, as you said, but apparently thought that the best thing to do was telegraph her backstab by screaming like a lunatic.

Now Jaqen, he was a master assassin. Just look at how he got rid of the people Arya named while in Harrenhall.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 01:38:03 AM by Raist »

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #306 on: May 02, 2019, 02:20:07 AM »
Reeotous calling me an insufferable nerd.   :lol

I'm just fucking around;  I won't fault you guys for giving a shit..

... but I will say you are doing it wrong.   I got annoyed briefly "why are they charging?" but then I thought "Oh that's a cool scene, I get it" once I saw their sword-flames being "snuffed out" and how dramatic that was.

What do you gain by caring so much about the battle strategies used on a show that is 99% not about battles?

edit:  And I still "get it".. I have failed to enjoy media too.. but you guys are failing.    Hopefully you enjoy the nit-picking though.

i found the dothraki charge too obviously emotionally manipulative, yeah it was a cool scene. so cool, i imagined the writers pitch as i watched it and everyone in the boardroom going ooohhh in response ::)

i know it's GoT, not high art, but even in the context of GoT it was a lil disappointing and utilitarian. a play to spectacle and a rushed conclusion to something which deserved a little more deftness imo. dw though, i enjoy a lot of media! and i enjoyed this ep for what it was; a disappointing, dismissive conclusion to the white walker hordes.

◕‿◕

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #307 on: May 02, 2019, 02:23:03 AM »
Arya's development as a seasoned warrior is believable and probably one of the most weird complaints anyone could make about this story. "Where did she even come from?" is a more cogent question from a film making/editing standpoint.

totes. the direction of the ep was all over the place. too many threads to wrap up, not enough time! i'm just confused why it felt so rushed. is GoT a money sink? i thought this shit was an extremely profitable HBO pillar.
◕‿◕

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #308 on: May 02, 2019, 02:35:35 AM »
Cersei and fake Euron being the final baddies is kind of a bummer tbh, hopefully it's not a great big battle instead I long for some politics/betrayal. Had enough sword and shield for now.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #309 on: May 02, 2019, 03:23:24 AM »
Somehow people seem to think that Arya's training overrides any basic rule of good story telling.
I'm not surprised seeing this turn into another "is she mary-sue" argument online, when that has little to do with it.

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #311 on: May 02, 2019, 12:10:56 PM »
i found the dothraki charge too obviously emotionally manipulative, yeah it was a cool scene. so cool, i imagined the writers pitch as i watched it and everyone in the boardroom going ooohhh in response ::)

i know it's GoT, not high art, but even in the context of GoT it was a lil disappointing and utilitarian. a play to spectacle and a rushed conclusion to something which deserved a little more deftness imo. dw though, i enjoy a lot of media! and i enjoyed this ep for what it was; a disappointing, dismissive conclusion to the white walker hordes.

think it was more to do with budget. a roaming mass of 10,000 cavalry for a 90 minute episode would be a CGI nightmare, compared with the nice ordered lines of identical unsullied anyway. same reason there weren't any catapults inside the gates as that would've likely meant props and staging around them. the more that stayed in the vague CGI darkness outside the gates and the more you can get rid of in the first ten minutes the better.

add in the factors of "bro, that would look sick" and "is it a hashtag moment?" and there's your battle plan.

these shows aren't supposed to be standalone works watched in isolation as much they are now social media facilitators. it's always been important for TV to have water cooler moments (something that has always been held against it by kinesnobs), but the immediacy and power of social media to allow pop culture to dominate every visible conversation has cranked it into overdrive.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 12:36:04 PM by headwalk »

Himu

« Reply #312 on: May 02, 2019, 01:31:17 PM »

totes. the direction of the ep was all over the place. too many threads to wrap up, not enough time! i'm just confused why it felt so rushed. is GoT a money sink? i thought this shit was an extremely profitable HBO pillar.

Well, yeah. It’s a money sink. Profitable certainly. But it’s expensive as fuck.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #313 on: May 02, 2019, 01:38:01 PM »
Why were the Trees eyes closed? Am I forgetting something? Is it because all the children of the forest are dead? Or because the wights broke the wall? The old Gods still live. Is it because of their reliance on the Lord of Light? Or because Jon, who was revived by the Lord of Light was in its presence?

Somehow people seem to think that Arya's training overrides any basic rule of good story telling.
I'm not surprised seeing this turn into another "is she mary-sue" argument online, when that has little to do with it.

I’m def not starting that. The way Arya killed him made no sense and was played for drama. But they could have done something else like show her trying her hardest to get to the wood. Then suddenly have her dagger in his heart and it zooms to her on a tower or something. That would be far better than her coming out of nowhere.

The problem is that many people are like,”why is Arya so good at this? This isn’t believable” when that’s the least wrong part of the scene.
IYKYK

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #314 on: May 02, 2019, 01:54:11 PM »
The spirit of the tree is now in Jon's body.

He's Groot
🤴

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #315 on: May 02, 2019, 02:21:56 PM »
Guaranteed if this episode was part of a binge watching experience it'd be a favourite. In the future when people can immediately roll into the next episode I'm sure it'll be remembered fondly.
I'm never watching this shid again foh  :lol
8)

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #316 on: May 02, 2019, 10:09:12 PM »
At least we can all agree Dany has the best soundtrack in the series
What

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #317 on: May 03, 2019, 01:04:25 AM »

my boy has my back  :ohyeah

Himu

« Reply #318 on: May 03, 2019, 02:11:16 AM »
Seeing some tv watchers riot and bitch about this shit has been hilarious. For years book readers were told that the show was fine despite needless changes done to the story for shock rather than actual character development. Then GoT goes completely past the books and the writing takes a massive downward spiral as fans bitch about how “GoT sucks now” making 37 minute rant videos hahahahahaha. Whatever, let’s strap in for the ride brehs :rejoice

It’s so odd people are just now realizing it too. Bros. Jaime “I do anything for family” Lannister killed his own cousin in season 2. Do you think that happened in the novels? :doge Inconsistencies and bad writing builds up. Jaime Lannister would never kill his own cousin without good reason. But he we are, where character reasoning goes out the window and “that’s a nitpick” actually turns out to be an example of their writing difficulties. D&D can’t even be assed to research basic medieval warfare tactics.

All I can say is,” strap in”. Welcome to season 2 - six fucking years ago. :rejoice You’ve had plenty of time to get used to it. Like what the fuck has that guy Momo posted a video of been watching all this time?

At this point I’m in for fuckery :lawd
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 02:16:47 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #319 on: May 03, 2019, 02:22:04 AM »
The best part? This is the only way any of us are going to complete this story: a mediocre shell of what it should be. The night truly is full of terror but at least we’re all in it together. :rejoice

Eight years of build up only to get a mediocre send off. “But”, you say,”at least I get an ending! :tocry” Congrats. You’ve finally earned your ASOIAF stripes. :bow :salute
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 02:26:26 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #320 on: May 03, 2019, 07:28:40 AM »

if OG plinkett was the rites of spring of long form nerd criticism, this is simple plan.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #321 on: May 03, 2019, 09:10:32 AM »
Mauler mentioned that the plinkett reviews was part of his reason for doing his long reviews.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #322 on: May 03, 2019, 11:19:11 AM »
Well I mean George RR Martin seems to think the show is pretty faithful.

Compares it to comics like Spiderman in how they are two seperate entities though.

He also thinks the ending will be very close to his own..

What

agrajag

« Reply #323 on: May 03, 2019, 11:43:08 AM »
that's cause GRRM has writer's block and now getting ideas from the show to finish his books.

GRRM right now

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #324 on: May 03, 2019, 11:46:48 AM »
More like George R Tard Martin.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #325 on: May 03, 2019, 12:14:38 PM »
 :shh The writing on the show started to go to shit when it delved into stuff past the 3rd book, because by then the source material was shitty as well
yar

Himu

« Reply #326 on: May 03, 2019, 12:21:06 PM »
:shh The writing on the show started to go to shit when it delved into stuff past the 3rd book, because by then the source material was shitty as well

Nah. Dorn in the books is actually good. Many elements are actually worse.
Well I mean George RR Martin seems to think the show is pretty faithful.

Compares it to comics like Spiderman in how they are two seperate entities though.

He also thinks the ending will be very close to his own..

What, you think he's going to burn that bridge? This show has given him opportunity, wads of cash, and made him a house hold name.
IYKYK

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #327 on: May 03, 2019, 12:23:16 PM »
Dorn in the books is good in the sense that it is better than Dorn on the show, but it is completely extraneous and where he started to become more interested in world building than in telling a tight, coherent story.
yar

Himu

« Reply #328 on: May 03, 2019, 12:23:46 PM »
That's fair.
IYKYK

El Babua

« Reply #329 on: May 03, 2019, 12:35:47 PM »
Word on the street is that GRRM actually had an almost complete version of Winds in late 2015 but he thought it sucked so much he decided to do major rewrites that he still hasn't finished.

If it's true, considering what much of this thread thinks of ADWD and GRRM still releasing it, while believing his first version of Winds wasn't up to par...must have been pretty bad  :doge

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Not me though, Dance was pretty good
[close]

Himu

« Reply #330 on: May 03, 2019, 12:37:55 PM »
I liked Dance. :idont Better than Feast. I also liked Feast though. Emphasis on like, definitely not love. Nothing has topped the first three books but that's fine. I still like your work, George.
IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #331 on: May 03, 2019, 12:42:10 PM »
I liked Feast sans the Brienne chapters.

El Babua

« Reply #332 on: May 03, 2019, 12:44:56 PM »
Feast actually had GRRMs best prose in the entire series. But had some of the most boring stretches IMO

Dance started a lot better than Feast but had a "When are they going to get to the Fireworks Factory" vibe throughout the middle until the end where we got cockteased, and nothing for 8 years.

The Northern storylines in Dance still beat the crap out of anything we've seen in the show since season 5.

Himu

« Reply #333 on: May 03, 2019, 12:45:10 PM »
Brienne chapters did suck ass. The show dramatically improved her arc.

But Cersei. Whew. Easily the best. And Jaime. Bah gawd.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #334 on: May 03, 2019, 12:47:31 PM »
Feast actually had GRRMs best prose in the entire series. But had some of the most boring stretches IMO

Dance started a lot better than Feast but had a "When are they going to get to the Fireworks Factory" vibe throughout the middle until the end where we got cockteased, and nothing for 8 years.

The Northern storylines in Dance still beat the crap out of anything we've seen in the show since season 5.

The chapter where it just says "Reek". And you're like "who is Reek? A new character huh?"

"Oh."

"Oh God."

:tocry

One of the best chapters ever. It made such a lasting impression I remember where I was when I read that chapter.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 12:53:10 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #335 on: May 03, 2019, 12:56:10 PM »
One of my biggest problems with the later books is that the world building starts to fall in quality. The Essos locales all feel the same with the exception of Braavos, it's clear he blew his metaphorical load creating Westeros.

Himu

« Reply #336 on: May 03, 2019, 01:11:18 PM »
One of my biggest problems with the later books is that the world building starts to fall in quality. The Essos locales all feel the same with the exception of Braavos, it's clear he blew his metaphorical load creating Westeros.

That's a fair critique. I liked Dany's journey through the slavers bay though.
IYKYK

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #337 on: May 03, 2019, 01:17:41 PM »
ADWD holds up better now though because you get to picture Peter Dinklage riding around on a pig
___

Himu

« Reply #338 on: May 03, 2019, 01:19:14 PM »
that's cause GRRM has writer's block and now getting ideas from the show to finish his books.

GRRM right now

(Image removed from quote.)

Eh. The books and show have diverged so much that even with the show finishing things up I'm not sure how George could possibly get out the writers block situation. What, with things like Stoneheart it's just an entirely different situation in the novels. That said I won't lie there's not something in me hoping, wishing that George is doing exactly this. In my dreams, George is just waiting for the show to finish so he can reveal the release date for Winds, which will create 9999 hype and release Dream one year after that.

But it's not going to happen and I've resigned myself to being forever disappointed.
IYKYK

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #339 on: May 03, 2019, 01:42:32 PM »
As a northern European, I'd have a very clear idea of what Westeros looks like even without lavish descriptions. I could fill in gaps or relate anything in the books to real-world examples or other fiction. Anything east of Westeros, meanwhile, is just a mishmash of sandstone, silk and lapis lazuli to me. Anyone inspired by hellenic cultures? Egyptian? I couldn't tell. Which culture in the books has pyramids? I don't even remember. :doge

I wonder what Levantine fans think of this.

agrajag

« Reply #340 on: May 03, 2019, 01:51:39 PM »
As a northern European, I'd have a very clear idea of what Westeros looks like even without lavish descriptions. I could fill in gaps or relate anything in the books to real-world examples or other fiction. Anything east of Westeros, meanwhile, is just a mishmash of sandstone, silk and lapis lazuli to me. Anyone inspired by hellenic cultures? Egyptian? I couldn't tell. Which culture in the books has pyramids? I don't even remember. :doge

if you're interested in learning more about the world building, you might like the companion book

it's really cool

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #341 on: May 03, 2019, 01:58:43 PM »

Yeah Essos is a mish mash of orientalist cliches

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #342 on: May 03, 2019, 03:10:27 PM »

"What bad fucking writing fuck"

Says the guy who says fuck every 2 words to sound edgy and cool.  :lol
🤴

Boredfrom

« Reply #343 on: May 03, 2019, 03:17:56 PM »

"What bad fucking writing fuck"

Says the guy who says fuck every 2 words to sound edgy and cool.  :lol

:dayum

Raist

« Reply #344 on: May 03, 2019, 04:07:14 PM »
ASoIaF turned real quick into your typical manga.

A fuckton of filler and mini-arcs that are completely inconsequential to the story in the grand scheme of things.

A lot of the crap he wrote could have easily been trimmed, and should have, because I'm pretty sure that's the reason it's taking him so long to just wrap up the fucking thing.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #345 on: May 03, 2019, 05:12:36 PM »
Maybe some day we'll get Game of Thrones: Brotherhood.
que

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #346 on: May 03, 2019, 05:24:30 PM »
I was like 2 years old when FMA came out so I can't really remember the flaws.

Himu

« Reply #347 on: May 03, 2019, 05:48:20 PM »
i loved the original fma but i was 18 at the time
IYKYK

Boredfrom

« Reply #348 on: May 03, 2019, 06:23:34 PM »
I was like 2 years old when FMA came out so I can't really remember the flaws.

Just everything involving Dante and whatnot at the end was so... very... stupid.

I actually don’t remember if it was as stupid as GOT 0803, but I hated it and don’t want to rewatch it to make that comparison.

Well, the fact that OG FMA and Manga FMA/Brotherhood has two different main villains, two fairly different end game plots and two way different narrative tones makes me feel it was as par.

Himu

« Reply #349 on: May 03, 2019, 06:53:40 PM »
i loved the original fma but i was 18 at the time

I understand.

There was a point where I thought Independence Day was a good movie.

You, I worry about though, because you still think FF8 was worth a damn. 

They’re all from the same orphanage, breh.  Unacceptabu!

I haven't played FF8 in ten years. I'm fueling my love for it based on nostalgia at this point.
IYKYK

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #350 on: May 03, 2019, 07:30:18 PM »
I can't trust any opinion I formed more than ten years ago on something I haven't re-watched/listened to/read/played since.

When I was younger it was more like five years.

Himu

« Reply #351 on: May 03, 2019, 07:39:40 PM »
I can't trust any opinion I formed more than ten years ago on something I haven't re-watched/listened to/read/played since.

When I was younger it was more like five years.

Yup.
IYKYK

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #352 on: May 04, 2019, 12:58:15 AM »
brotherhood was lame. I tried watching because I liked fma, but only made it through a few episodes.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #353 on: May 04, 2019, 04:00:43 AM »
I couldn't make it through either FMA, only went though a handful of episodes of each.
How can people stand "shonen" style shows? I don't get it.
I loved DragonBall as a kid, but now i couldn't watch 2 episodes of a guy explaining their imaginary super moves, because it stretches the narrative so thin.

Himu

« Reply #354 on: May 04, 2019, 04:06:02 AM »
I couldn't make it through either FMA, only went though a handful of episodes of each.
I loved DragonBall as a kid, but now i couldn't watch 2 episodes of a guy explaining their imaginary super moves, because it stretches the narrative so thin.

??? Very odd complaint for FMA. Which doesn’t have the standard shounen formula.
IYKYK

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #355 on: May 04, 2019, 04:32:27 AM »

??? Very odd complaint for FMA. Which doesn’t have the standard shounen formula.
It wasn't as hilariously insulting as DBZ and the like, in terms of time wasting, but i couldn't really tell the difference all that much.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #356 on: May 04, 2019, 07:47:35 AM »
Can we stop talking about anime in the fantasy thread  ???
What

Himu

« Reply #357 on: May 04, 2019, 09:20:33 AM »
Can we stop talking about anime in the fantasy thread  ???

It’s relevant. At one point FMA anime caught up to the manga and went in a radically different direction. People are talking about it because FMA later had a more manga faithful show called FMA Brotherhood.
IYKYK

Raist

« Reply #358 on: May 04, 2019, 09:21:22 AM »
What have I done :notlikethis

Himu

« Reply #359 on: May 04, 2019, 09:22:03 AM »

It wasn't as hilariously insulting as DBZ and the like, in terms of time wasting, but i couldn't really tell the difference all that much.

I mean, how? The structure of DBZ and FMA are polar opposites. DBZ is heavy on action. FMA is heavy on philosophy and story. FMA has action but it’s not the main means of progressing the plot. The comparison makes no sense.
IYKYK