Author Topic: Game of Thrones Season 8, we can finally stop waiting on GURM  (Read 105856 times)

team filler

• filler
  • filler
Re: Game of Thrones Season 8, we can finally stop waiting on GURM
« Reply #180 on: April 29, 2019, 10:07:54 PM »
#DemThrones :gurl

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #181 on: April 29, 2019, 10:51:04 PM »
I’m pretty disappointed we didn’t get some more mythical bond, grand bargain, balancing of forces type of shit but I mean, 3 more episodes we’ll see, maybe

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #182 on: April 30, 2019, 12:21:04 AM »
a single unearned revelation undermined years of world building

arya's big hero moment should've ended with the freys

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #183 on: April 30, 2019, 12:28:08 AM »
When Omar got killed by a kid ya'll wet your panties

You come at the king you best not miss

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #184 on: April 30, 2019, 12:32:11 AM »

You come at the king you best not miss

Well apparently you can still miss, and just drop and grab your dagger to poke the mighty dragon slaying, dead rising, dragonfire immune, greenseer big baddie. No probs.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #185 on: April 30, 2019, 03:10:53 AM »
If Omar was followed, in that grocery store, by a hundred foot soldiers and about 15 generals who's eyes, as established multiple times, he could see through.
If all these foot soldiers and generals were also standing behind him, literally facing him and looking at his back.
If the little kid that shot him wasn't a random kid in the hood, but one of Stringerbell's main players, who had shot, up until that point, several dozens of Omar's men, so as to make it even more improbable to let him sneak by.
If Omar, instead of buying gum or whatever, was actually in an active battleground, and about to deliver the killing blow on the opposite army's leader.
And finally if, instead of his death by way of a random kid his very own myth helped create, in an elegant narrative bow; he was killed by just about the least thematically connected character in the ensemble, just to deliver some more fan service.

Then i think people wouldn't have been as pleased with the outcome.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #186 on: April 30, 2019, 03:37:27 AM »
Just can't wait for this shit to be over.

I only have two hopes:

• The fat cunt GURM has actually been playing us for fools and has both final books practically ready to release once this pile of horseshit is over
  • The "major story beats" that he fed D&D were draft nonsense that he wanted to test market before committing to finalising the real story.
Chances of either of these things happening are fuck all and none.

Fuck this shit. At this point I am almost ready to just avoid both the show and the books and just finish things off by reading wikipedia summaries.
Spud

bluemax

« Reply #187 on: April 30, 2019, 03:40:49 AM »
https://twitter.com/D_Walt7/status/1122690222884564992

And Team Dany just played game 7 of the conference finals like it was game 7 of the championship. Gregg Popovich ain't walking through that door.

I only have two hopes:

• The fat cunt GURM has actually been playing us for fools and has both final books practically ready to release once this pile of horseshit is over
  • The "major story beats" that he fed D&D were draft nonsense that he wanted to test market before committing to finalising the real story.

Fuck this shit. At this point I am almost ready to just avoid both the show and the books and just finish things off by reading wikipedia summaries.

Anybody who thinks GURM has the books ready, or had better ideas than what the show has given us, clearly doesn't know GURM.
NO

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #188 on: April 30, 2019, 04:20:50 AM »

I only have two hopes:

Anybody who thinks GURM has the books ready, or had better ideas than what the show has given us, clearly doesn't know GURM.

Like I said, two chances of either thing happening.
Spud

kingv

« Reply #189 on: April 30, 2019, 08:46:59 AM »
GURM is never going to finish the books. He’s going to pivot into the real literary cash cow... YA Fiction.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #190 on: April 30, 2019, 09:26:13 AM »
GURM is never going to finish the books. He’s going to pivot into the real literary cash cow... YA Fiction.

Wild Cards :rejoice
©@©™

agrajag

« Reply #191 on: April 30, 2019, 09:27:48 AM »
Lager, did you watch the commentary after the episode? They picked Arya to be the NK killer solely for the surprise factor. Not because it makes sense thematically. That's why it feels cheap to a lot of people. I don't really care, I am simply enjoying the spectacle at this point, but I turned off my brain when it comes to the show a long time ago.

The writing has been sloppy lately with a lot of loose ends simply not addressed. Like how do Varys (who has an axe to grind with red priests for chopping off his dick), Melissandre (who tried to sacrifice Gendry), Gendry, Beric (who sold Gendry to be sacrificed), Rya (who has Melissandre and Beric on her kill lost) all be at the same place and not even have a passing mention of their beef with each other?

And then one of the fucking producers says rhat all Dothraki had perished from the world. He wants us to believe that that small band that rode off to die were all the Dothraki in the world?

:foodcourt

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #192 on: April 30, 2019, 10:01:14 AM »
They foreshadowed Arya killing NK when Mellisandre told her: "I see darkness in you... you will turn out the light of many eyes... brown eyes, green eyes, BLUE EYES" forever ago. Mellisandre reminded her of that when they ran into each other, in addition to her water dancer training. Arya and Beric also had a moment last week when the hound asked if Beric was still on her list.

I'm not saying it's WELL DONE. But some of it is being done and y'all just outchere ignoring it. This is junk food now, quit asking it to be a delicious family meal at the Olive Garden and you'll be happier with the end product.

:yeshrug
yar

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #193 on: April 30, 2019, 10:16:39 AM »
They foreshadowed Arya killing NK when Mellisandre told her: "I see darkness in you... you will turn out the light of many eyes... brown eyes, green eyes, BLUE EYES" forever ago.
:iface
Humans have brown, green and yes, blue eyes.
That's just a retrofitted "foreshadowing" that makes barely any sense.
It's kind of like the Hodor thing, but at least that one worked, because "HODOR" makes no sense in any other context, whereas blue eyes are just a normal ass color for people.

They even drop that line like it was a big reveal, but it felt more like a Kojima level retcon-connection of meaningless details.

agrajag

« Reply #194 on: April 30, 2019, 10:19:59 AM »
So was Arya Azor Ahai, or are they never gonna mention that again? I am guessing it's the latter.

edit: day one, get the fuck outta here  :lol

Tasty

« Reply #195 on: April 30, 2019, 10:22:58 AM »
So was Arya Azor Ahai, or are they never gonna mention that again? I am guessing it's the latter.

edit: day one, get the fuck outta here  :lol

That would be weird. The episode basically said "Hey y'all the Lord of Light is the real religion, have some swords and fire pits."

El Babua

« Reply #196 on: April 30, 2019, 11:40:51 AM »
Yeah, thinking about this over 2 days, the ending was pretty dumb.

Cogman and the other guy wrote 2 pretty good episodes prior to this and D&D did D&D things  :trumps

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #197 on: April 30, 2019, 11:44:10 AM »
It's not a surprise that Jaime and Tyrion survived. Why would they foreshadow their assassination arc in the prior episode if they were just gonna die?  :doge
©ZH

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #198 on: April 30, 2019, 11:53:51 AM »
I'm totally fine with Arya killing NK, but I think thematically it would've made more sense to have it happen after the war with Cersei.
zzzzz

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #199 on: April 30, 2019, 01:15:35 PM »
I'm totally fine with Arya killing NK, but I think thematically it would've made more sense to have it happen after the war with Cersei.

Yeah but now we can get back to what really matters, what the entire show is about.. who gets to rule the seven kingdoms

If Cersei was smart she would attack straight after this battle. She would win 100%.

I think the people on the internet bitching about " We needed to know the NK true motivation!!" are just idiots. The NK didn't have any motivation besides killing all life. They said multiple times he's evil personified.

Arya killing the NK was badass af.

And yes, Melissandre does say something similar to her in S3.

She says it in a different order, so yes I would consider it a slight retcon, but in the end a master assassin killing the NK was one of the only ways he would/could have been killed imo.
What

agrajag

« Reply #200 on: April 30, 2019, 01:25:26 PM »
lmao THAT'S the foreshadowing Human Snorenado and Riotous are talking about? Get the fuck outta here man  :lol :lol :lol

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #201 on: April 30, 2019, 01:32:16 PM »
That's what it references in the show :)

It's not exactly a foreshadowing that she was going to kill the NK.

But her being a master assassin, that was really the only way they were going to kill the NK anway. With a surprise/sneak attack, or with a trap. No other way to defeat this army.
What

El Babua

« Reply #202 on: April 30, 2019, 01:33:55 PM »
lmao THAT'S the foreshadowing Human Snorenado and Riotous are talking about? Get the fuck outta here man  :lol :lol :lol

Dudes mad at GREM for not writing something they like for 20 years trying to justify bad writing on the show lol

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #203 on: April 30, 2019, 01:36:39 PM »
Oh well it's all bad writing if it doesn't fit with the fanboys and how they want to see it

I read people online wanted to see the NK battling Jon in a 1v1 sword fight.

As if they have ever shown the NK to have any skill in sword fighting.

It aint never good enough is it?
What

agrajag

« Reply #204 on: April 30, 2019, 01:37:55 PM »
I dunno, seems like their defense off Winterfell was pretty poorly thought out

edit: way to change your entire post MMa  ::)

El Babua

« Reply #205 on: April 30, 2019, 01:44:02 PM »
And how did Arya actually become a master assassin in the show anyway?

Getting her ass kicked for an entire season and then getting kicked out after being dubbed "no one" for inexplicably no reason?

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #206 on: April 30, 2019, 01:45:08 PM »
IMO, I think it would've been better if they figured out who wins the throne first, then had the white walkers come in after all the bickering and demolish like 90% of the remaining people. Whoever took the iron throne is basically left with the bittersweet honor of ruling a hill of dirt. I don't care who kills the Night King. To me white walkers represented the real threat that the throne drama was distracting everyone from, but somewhere along the line it got flip flopped.
zzzzz

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #207 on: April 30, 2019, 01:45:45 PM »
"You'll kill a lot of bastards in your life, boy.. tall, short, ugly, handsome"
*20 years later, after killing the Goblin King.*
"Oh my God, that one seer did mention i'd kill some 'ugly bastard'!"

Again, you can choose to see it as a foreshadowing prophecy, but if it is, it's the most vague fucking pointless prophecy i've ever seen.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #208 on: April 30, 2019, 02:06:16 PM »

Wait what did I change?

Yes the entire defense was poorly thought out, I agree 100%. Terrible "strategy" by the living.
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #209 on: April 30, 2019, 02:07:12 PM »
And then one of the fucking producers says rhat all Dothraki had perished from the world. He wants us to believe that that small band that rode off to die were all the Dothraki in the world?

:foodcourt
That's because Daenerys has been using them as her disposable army.
She lost a bunch on the other side of the world. Then they took them along with ships (some might not have survived the journey).
They already joined in a few battles on this side of the world as well. Now the remnants have been slaughtered by the army of the dead.

This is also a recurring theme. Everyone who blindly follows Daenerys eventually ends up dead.

Anyhow, it's going to be fun to watch Daenerys recruit an entire baratheon army out of thin air next episode because they won but they're sort of short of an army and there aren't many 'banners' left to recruit.
The Knights of the Vale, remnants of the armies of the north, baratheon defectors, the Iron Born not loyal to Euron maybe some dudes from the smaller houses?
🤴

agrajag

« Reply #210 on: April 30, 2019, 02:07:22 PM »

Wait what did I change?

Yes the entire defense was poorly thought out, I agree 100%. Terrible "strategy" by the living.

your original post was about how using Arya's stealth mode was their only option of winning, indicating that they executed this correctly.

Nintex, there were thousands of them if not millions, and not all unified under one Khalassar. I doubt that all of them, or even the majority came with her. And what about the women and children?

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #211 on: April 30, 2019, 02:08:12 PM »
"You'll kill a lot of bastards in your life, boy.. tall, short, ugly, handsome"
*20 years later, after killing the Goblin King.*
"Oh my God, that one seer did mention i'd kill some 'ugly bastard'!"

Again, you can choose to see it as a foreshadowing prophecy, but if it is, it's the most vague fucking pointless prophecy i've ever seen.

Here Melisandre details the prophecy

But even she herself didn't know at that point, who that prophecy refers to.

Although I think she already knew all of this beforehand, and guided characters towards the point where they needed to be ( a role to play )

The Prince/Princess who was promised shall bring the dawn

What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #212 on: April 30, 2019, 02:23:36 PM »

Wait what did I change?

Nintex, there were thousands of them if not millions, and not all unified under one Khalassar. I doubt that all of them, or even the majority came with her. And what about the women and children?
Maybe the dragons got hungry?  :awesome

Perhaps they meant the Dothraki in Westeros and not the ones overseas. That would make the most sense. But they were depicted as a nomadic horde not staying in once place for long.
In any case they're ruled out as a fighting force for Daenerys now. Unless she finds the Dragonballs and revives everyone.
🤴

agrajag

« Reply #213 on: April 30, 2019, 02:28:14 PM »
how did they fucking suck so much that they got wiped out in seconds? The wights are not that formidable  as seen fighting everyone else. And how did Jorah manage to come back when he was leading the charge? He returned roughly five seconds after their swords went out, so that means he tucked tail and ran immediately :doge

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #214 on: April 30, 2019, 02:29:33 PM »
mellisandre is like one of those rainmaking GAF insiders, complete with army of "told you so" hangers on when one sentence out of their 20,000 posts turns out vaguely prophetic.

Raist

« Reply #215 on: April 30, 2019, 02:31:47 PM »

No, the way she killed him was fucking distinguished mentally-challenged.

agrajag

« Reply #216 on: April 30, 2019, 02:32:58 PM »
also Nintex, I wouldn't worry too much about Dany. She still has a dragon and according to the preview of the next episode still has the North in her back pocket.

:patel

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #217 on: April 30, 2019, 02:38:12 PM »

No, the way she killed him was fucking distinguished mentally-challenged fellowed.

Nah no it wasn't. She's a master assassin
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #218 on: April 30, 2019, 02:38:48 PM »
how did they fucking suck so much that they got wiped out in seconds? The wights are not that formidable  as seen fighting everyone else. And how did Jorah manage to come back when he was leading the charge? He returned roughly five seconds after their swords went out, so that means he tucked tail and ran immediately :doge

And why did the Dothraki agree to be send out to die first in a land that's not theirs.

I get loyalty and all but if the red lady hadn't shown up they wouldn't even have flaming swords.
Also, why didn't she give everyone everyone flaming swords but only the riders.

Not to mention if she used some of those fire tricks out camping in the snow with Stannis they wouldn't have had to burn a child on a stake to please the fire god.
In fact, with flaming swords Stannis would've beaten the Bolton kid easily.
🤴

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #219 on: April 30, 2019, 02:40:07 PM »
Let’s focus on the positive, I bet we get Clegane bowl now

agrajag

« Reply #220 on: April 30, 2019, 02:43:14 PM »
well Dothraki are bloodthirsty savages so that part is on brand. But who ever made the boneheaded decision to send them out didn't think it through. Although maybe they decided there was no way the Dothraki could assimilate into the Westeros culture and figured out a inconspicuous way to get rid of them.  :doge

agrajag

« Reply #221 on: April 30, 2019, 02:44:33 PM »
the flaming swords was a cheap parlor trick that didn't accomplish jack shit

:sabu
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 02:50:22 PM by agrajag »

Raist

« Reply #222 on: April 30, 2019, 02:48:17 PM »

No, the way she killed him was fucking distinguished mentally-challenged fellowed.

Sure. The NK can turn around in a split second and grab her throat. But somehow, he couldn't do anything about that bit of juggling with a dagger  ::)

Her "master assassin" training consisted mostly of getting rekt by that other girl. Give me a break.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #223 on: April 30, 2019, 02:53:44 PM »
Oh right so because he let his guard down, because he was a dumbass bitch who thought he was safe ( he literally destroyed their army so I would assume he would think he had already won ) he cannot defend himself against Arya in a split second.

Nowhere in the entire series has he shown a proclivity for swordfighting or fighting of any kind really.

He was too afraid to go against Aegon 1v1 and ran away like a lil bitch.

Literally the only way to kill the NK at that point would have been a surprise/stealth/trap against the NK. Otherwise everyone would have died right then and there. Maybe Dany could have flown away but yeah that's basically it then.

But yeah, three more episodes with the NK tearing down King's Landing with just Cersei and her army would have been fun right?
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #224 on: April 30, 2019, 02:55:04 PM »

Sure. The NK can turn around in a split second and grab her throat. But somehow, he couldn't do anything about that bit of juggling with a dagger  ::)

Her "master assassin" training consisted mostly of getting rekt by that other girl. Give me a break.

And killing the crasters and their whole family. And she probably murders way more people as a faceless.

But I guess the audience needs to have EVERYTHING spelled out for them. And shown.

Suspend your belief for dragons breh but not a girl turned into a master assassin over the course of seasons.
What

agrajag

« Reply #225 on: April 30, 2019, 03:00:07 PM »
Ok then let's not pretend that Jon Snow couldn't have merked him 1v1with his Oathbreaker or whatever his Valyrian sword is called if he and Dany actually articulated a strategy based on targeting him and using her dragon to wreck the wights protecting him. Don't come here with that "only Arya could do it" nonsense.  :doge

Best thing they could've done is stay behind the walls with the dragons, light the barriers when the army of the undead approaches and pepper them with dragon fire and fire arrows. If the dragons stayed back, they could prevent them from making that opening through the fire barrier. Deal with the ice dragon when he gets there.

Raist

« Reply #226 on: April 30, 2019, 03:00:59 PM »
Nowhere in the entire series has he shown a proclivity for swordfighting or fighting of any kind really.

Except, for instance, about a minute before getting popped like a scrub, by grabbing Theon's spear, snapping it like it's a twig, and stick him with the pointy end in about 1.5 seconds :lol

But I guess Theon isn't a M A S T A H  A S S A S S I N

agrajag

« Reply #227 on: April 30, 2019, 03:04:28 PM »
Theon was a low test soyboy, sad!

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #228 on: April 30, 2019, 03:04:31 PM »
Was honestly hoping Theon would surprise NK with his tolerance for pain after his past and at least slow him down for someone else to deliver the blow. Which is almost what happened?

agrajag

« Reply #229 on: April 30, 2019, 03:05:50 PM »
Was honestly hoping Theon would surprise NK with his tolerance for pain after his past and at least slow him down for someone else to deliver the blow. Which is almost what happened?

Optimally, the NK would try to stab Theon in the dick only for Theon to smuggly reveal that he has no dick (Return of the King style) and end him.  8)

Raist

« Reply #230 on: April 30, 2019, 03:06:58 PM »
Bran pulling a dragon glass dagger from beneath his blanket and stabbing the NK in the dick would have been infinitely better than the crap they came up with. Perfect way to fulfill his dream of being a knight.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #231 on: April 30, 2019, 03:07:14 PM »

Except, for instance, about a minute before getting popped like a scrub, by grabbing Theon's spear, snapping it like it's a twig, and stick him with the pointy end in about 1.5 seconds :lol

But I guess Theon isn't a M A S T A H  A S S A S S I N

Yea, theon aint fucking shit, ran at him for like 15 seconds, telegraphing his exact movements and attack pattern.

Even a fucking baby could disarm Theon and stab him in his dickless body.

Whereas Arya jumped towards him so fast, nobody saw her coming, not even the NK. He was lucky to grab her at all.

Come the fuck on Raist stop fucking trolling here.
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #232 on: April 30, 2019, 03:09:09 PM »
Bran pulling a dragon glass dagger from beneath his blanket and stabbing the NK in the dick would have been infinitely better than the crap they came up with. Perfect way to fulfill his dream of being a knight.

And then you wouldn't have everyone screaming " Aww that was lame, the NK just goes out like that against Bran who hasn't done anything in seasons?"

Yeah right. Can't satisfy yall man. No matter what the writers came up with, it's always going to be trite, unrealistic etc.
What

Raist

« Reply #233 on: April 30, 2019, 03:09:36 PM »
Speaking of telegraphing, shouldn't a M A S T A H  A S S A S S I N avoid screaming like a lunatic when trying to backstab their prey? :thinking

agrajag

« Reply #234 on: April 30, 2019, 03:10:35 PM »
Theon had years of legit military training and has been through tons of battles as well as being an expert bowman. He only "ran at him for 15 seconds and telegraphed his exact movement" because that's what the shitty writing required.   :lol

The shitty writing also required for Bran to be protected by ragtag team of cannon fodder while Jon and Dany get lost in the snow storm for 30 minutes.

Tasty

« Reply #235 on: April 30, 2019, 03:11:22 PM »
Why didn't they arm a bunch of snipers with dragonglass-tip arrows? :thinking

agrajag

« Reply #236 on: April 30, 2019, 03:13:16 PM »

They should've spiked every nook, cranny and sharp corner with dragon glass tbh. The undead are kind of clumsy.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #237 on: April 30, 2019, 03:13:38 PM »
Ok then let's not pretend that Jon Snow couldn't have merked him 1v1with his Oathbreaker or whatever his Valyrian sword is called if he and Dany actually articulated a strategy based on targeting him and using her dragon to wreck the wights protecting him. Don't come here with that "only Arya could do it" nonsense.  :doge

Best thing they could've done is stay behind the walls with the dragons, light the barriers when the army of the undead approaches and pepper them with dragon fire and fire arrows. If the dragons stayed back, they could prevent them from making that opening through the fire barrier. Deal with the ice dragon when he gets there.

Why not? The NK did not want to fight Jon 1 v 1. He ran away like a bitch.

Before that he was on the dragon. When he fell off ( because they were trying to ram his ass off ), fire didn't kill him. So they tried that.

Jon wanted to fight the NK 1 v 1 when he ran towards him.

Fast forward to the scene at the end.

------------------------------------------------------------

Dany is fighting for her life
Jon is fighting for his life

No other decent warrior is anywhere close to Bran, and even if they are, they have no chance getting past any white walkers or wights.

In the end at that moment in time, it was only Arya who could kill him. The NK let his guard down. He thought he had won. He let Theon charge him because he knew this guy is a fucking idiot because he's going to charge at me in the same position for 10 seconds, letting me see right through his defences.

If the NK killed Bran, he probably would have killed our other main characters as well. Maybe Dany would be able to fly away.

Then we would have three more episodes with Cersei and her army defending KL and the NK burning it all down.
What

Raist

« Reply #238 on: April 30, 2019, 03:13:46 PM »

They spent it all on the Hound's axe.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #239 on: April 30, 2019, 03:15:07 PM »
Theon had years of legit military training and has been through tons of battles as well as being an expert bowman. He only "ran at him for 15 seconds and telegraphed his exact movement" because that's what the shitty writing required.   :lol

The shitty writing also required for Bran to be protected by ragtag team of cannon fodder while Jon and Dany get lost in the snow storm for 30 minutes.

Wasn't that Bran's plan? He knew whoever he had there to defend him wouldn't do shit in the end. He foresaw it.

Dany and Jon got lost in the storm because they didn't account for the storm.

But sure just blame it all on shitty writing man, it's easy. Why even continue to watch the show if the writing is so shitty? '

Either way I dont give a fuck, I most certainly enjoyed it and thought it was a great end to that NK :). Who was a boring villain anyway.
What