Author Topic: Game of Thrones Season 8, we can finally stop waiting on GURM  (Read 112089 times)

agrajag

Re: Game of Thrones Season 8, we can finally stop waiting on GURM
« Reply #1080 on: May 14, 2019, 07:26:33 PM »
He's 100% right, Arya killing the Night King really served no purpose other than fan service and spectacle.

agrajag

« Reply #1081 on: May 14, 2019, 07:42:54 PM »
Season 7 was fine.

However, people satisfied with Season 8 make less sense to me than the insane people who think TLJ was a great film.

I have great news for you. With D&D directing new Star Wars, those two groups can now be one and the same!

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #1082 on: May 14, 2019, 08:10:50 PM »
I liked this episode, but this whole plotline was rushed and it feels a little empty. Dany going wildcard was always a possibility, and lots of folks are  pretending it wasn't.
vin

agrajag

« Reply #1083 on: May 14, 2019, 10:07:48 PM »
https://www.abacusnews.com/digital-life/chinese-viewers-hail-lord-varys-game-thrones-true-communist/article/3010013

One user on Zhihu drafted a speech for King Jon Snow's theoretical inauguration ceremony. “Comrade Varys’s life is a life of glory and honor… The suffering he has been through laid ground for his dream to seek welfare for the people and the country.”

The speech continues: “Before he was arrested, Comrade Varys took off all his rings, and for the first and last time, proved himself a member of the proletariat.”

:chinacry

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #1084 on: May 14, 2019, 10:48:55 PM »
I liked this episode, but this whole plotline was rushed and it feels a little empty. Dany going wildcard was always a possibility, and lots of folks are  pretending it wasn't.

Sure, but Anakin turning to the Dark Side was an absolute certainty, and the problem was that it was executed like shit. However, Dany's turn makes Anakin's look like Walter White's.
Dany's look of rage on Drogon was more convincing than anything in the prequels.
vin

agrajag

« Reply #1085 on: May 14, 2019, 10:55:39 PM »

:lol

people who keep defending the writing need to be beat over the head with "Dany's not her father, she's not insane, she's not a sadist, she's one of the good Targaryans"

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #1086 on: May 14, 2019, 10:58:04 PM »
Get new writers and redo the last season as two good ones. Just do it.
每天生气

Boredfrom

« Reply #1087 on: May 14, 2019, 10:59:12 PM »

Sure, but Anakin turning to the Dark Side was an absolute certainty, and the problem was that it was executed like shit. However, Dany's turn makes Anakin's look like Walter White's.
Dany's look of rage on Drogon was more convincing than anything in the prequels.

That is not a compliment.

agrajag

« Reply #1088 on: May 14, 2019, 11:35:08 PM »
Rohan Kishibe and 『Heaven's Door』
6 days ago
What you were hoping from the show:
Creepy psycho Lovecraftian eyepatch Pirate that may or may not have Eldritch horrors
What you got from the show:
Pirate Bam Margera with plot armor and teleporting aimbot ships

Himu

« Reply #1089 on: May 14, 2019, 11:39:44 PM »

people who keep defending the writing need to be beat over the head with "Dany's not her father, she's not insane, she's not a sadist, she's one of the good Targaryans"

wait, the directors said that? lmao
IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #1090 on: May 15, 2019, 12:46:23 AM »
https://io9.gizmodo.com/george-r-r-martin-hits-back-at-rumors-saying-hes-alrea-1834749482

Quote from: GURM

All of a sudden this crazy story about my finishing The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring years ago is popping up everywhere. No, I am not going to provide links. I don’t want to reward purveyors of misinformation with hits.

I will, however, say for the record—no, The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring are not finished. Dream is not even begun; I am not going to start writing volume seven until I finish volume six.

It seems absurd to me that I need to state this. The world is round, the Earth revolves around the sun, water is wet…do I need to say that too? It boggles me that anyone would believe this story, even for an instant. It makes not a whit of sense. Why would I sit for years on completed novels? Why would my publishers—not just here in the US, but all around the world—ever consent to this? They make millions and millions of dollars every time a new Ice & Fire book comes out, as do I. Delaying makes no sense. Why would HBO want the books delayed? The books help create interest in the show, just as the show creates interest in the books.

:success

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #1091 on: May 15, 2019, 02:00:26 AM »
Serious question, what did you guys expect Dany to do after she took over King's Landing?

Everyone who believes they deserved to be ruler due to any birthright would inevitably sacrifice innocents towards getting or keeping the throne. Jon is the opposite and therefore would make a great ruler. They really hammered this in for like the last 5 seasons at least.

With Dany, I see someone who enlists the help of both the Dothraki and slaves in order to get what she wants. Even if that requires a ton of civilian deaths. Burning King's Landing is meant to be a message to anyone else who would defy her claim. It always seemed to me that Dany's only motivation was revenge.

Maybe I'm missing something that was spelled out in an earlier season or in the books, but what did the people who hate this episode expect Dany to do after she took over?

bluemax

« Reply #1092 on: May 15, 2019, 02:26:33 AM »
I think one popular fan theory was always that she'd get pregnant from Jon, die from the pregnancy and Jon would faff off beyond the wall or something because he's part zombie or whatever. Then their Targ baby would be raised by a council of cool dudes from characters who didn't die. The end.

They all got hung up on the bittersweet ending and forgot about the master of subversion!
NO

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #1093 on: May 15, 2019, 02:37:48 AM »
Season 7 was fine.

However, people satisfied with Season 8 make less sense to me than the insane people who think TLJ was a great film.

I have great news for you. With D&D directing new Star Wars, those two groups can now be one and the same!

I'm really hoping they get Lindelof on board too, for maximum fuckery.

shosta

« Reply #1094 on: May 15, 2019, 02:40:37 AM »
Lindelof is busy ruining Watchmen for now!
每天生气

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #1095 on: May 15, 2019, 02:41:13 AM »
Why do you always have to ruin one's dreams.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #1096 on: May 15, 2019, 02:58:08 AM »
dont let your dreams become memes

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1097 on: May 15, 2019, 04:46:17 AM »
These dudes really bailed on GOT (to the point of straight up rushing a season just to get it over with, at the expense of the writing and 7 years of build, with HBO begging them to do more), which was only growing in popularity and could have gone on basically infinitely with more and more money each year, for Star Wars, which hit critical mass and has had diminishing returns 3 movies in a row?

:neogaf

Guys might have been a bit spent after writing 8 years of the same stuff in a potentially high pressure / deadline driven environment. And maybe didn't want to just be the Thrones dudes.
:yeshrug

And that offer from Disney/Lucasfilm/Star Wars was up for grabs then, probably not for an indefinite time.

Arguably it's the smart move to get that next golden gig while you're hot. Adding more seasons wasn't a guarantee that the ending would have been better received.

The real failure was on the part of HBO's brass for not putting their foot down. They should have given D&D an ultimatum: finish the show with two full seasons, or get replaced as showrunners. If you'd rather be on Star Wars, there's the door.

Without being privy to the different deals in place, it's difficult to assess what HBO could or could not do here.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 04:52:06 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1098 on: May 15, 2019, 04:55:16 AM »
DP
ὕβρις

agrajag

« Reply #1099 on: May 15, 2019, 05:05:49 AM »
What did I expect Dany to do when she wins? Rule like Aegon the conqueror? Rule like she did Mereen? I don't know, I didn't map out an entire fanfic plot in my head I wanted the show to follow, I'm not a writer.

agrajag

« Reply #1100 on: May 15, 2019, 05:18:40 AM »

good review

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #1101 on: May 15, 2019, 05:48:51 AM »
"Dany's not her father, she's not insane, she's not a sadist, she's one of the good Targaryans"[/url]
Bobby Baratheon: "The only good Targaryen, is a dead Targaryen.8)

agrajag

« Reply #1102 on: May 15, 2019, 09:02:26 AM »

this video really nails how I feel about this season

https://youtu.be/qvRDXZqczhY?t=844

And so now the show doesn't feel like it's ending in the natural way it's always unfolded. And worse yet, now subversive moments like a dragon being shot out of the sky don't feel earned or shocking, they feel frustrating because we can see it was only done to serve the plot, to limit Daenerys's capabilities for the final battle. Just like when the Dothraki were foolishly sent charging into the darkness against the army of the dead, it was actually done just to serve to story, to thin out their numbers for the coming battle at King's Landing. It was done or future drama, not because it made any sense in the moment and this is all happening because they now working backwards. They've come up with an ending to the story and they now need to aim everything in that direction instead instead of letting the characters move about as they would normally and letting events unfold in their natural way.

Similarly to how the Iron Fleet and the giant crossbows are this big threat in one episode, and not even a factor in the next. It's just all so cheap. It's all spectacle.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #1103 on: May 15, 2019, 09:30:39 AM »
I can't imagine a less appealing video thumbnail.
zzzzz

Himu

« Reply #1106 on: May 15, 2019, 11:31:49 AM »
IYKYK

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #1107 on: May 15, 2019, 12:26:57 PM »
Anyone have a link to that post where all the foreshadowing is laid bare? re dany?
What

agrajag

« Reply #1108 on: May 15, 2019, 01:17:11 PM »

what a horrible monster that was ready to indiscriminently burn down innocent women and children at any moment! It's all there in the books, this ending is all according to Keikaku! The signs were there she was a mad titan all along!

shosta

« Reply #1109 on: May 15, 2019, 01:25:18 PM »
isn't that passage evidence of her being prone to acting on her passions against better advice
每天生气

agrajag

« Reply #1110 on: May 15, 2019, 01:29:59 PM »
it's evidence of her not viewing people as expendable fodder and of her having empathy.

Himu

« Reply #1111 on: May 15, 2019, 01:32:03 PM »
Here we are, a book fan, asking if Dany is a bad person. A Song of Ice and Fire isn't not about bad people. There are very few actual bad people in this story. Ramsay, Joffrey, and arguably Tywin. She is not bad, but she's certainly not good.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1112 on: May 15, 2019, 01:35:15 PM »
it's evidence of her not viewing people as expendable fodder and of her having empathy.

It also shows her inability to rule wisely and her impulsiveness.

Why are we even comparing book Dany to tv Dany? Haven't we all accepted that the books aren't the tv show? Why is he comparing tv Dany to the book Dany in season 8? He should have gotten used to this by now.

But nope. gotta make another bitch vid. This guy has made four videos in the past three days. He's a little bitch.
IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #1113 on: May 15, 2019, 01:35:35 PM »
after re-reading (listening) to that passage, do you believe that gleefully committing genocide is in her character?

edit: why compare them? Because of people like you saying "this ending is SO GRRM, he planned her to burn everything down all along" duh

shosta

« Reply #1114 on: May 15, 2019, 01:41:56 PM »
She probably will feel remorse in the next episode. If you think she was gleefully burning King's Landing down you should rewatch Missandei's execution.
每天生气

agrajag

« Reply #1115 on: May 15, 2019, 01:41:57 PM »
all my posts combined are shorter than your one long ass carepost, riopogi!

:sheik

agrajag

« Reply #1116 on: May 15, 2019, 01:43:13 PM »
She probably will feel remorse in the next episode. If you think she was gleefully burning King's Landing down you should rewatch Missandei's execution.

are you saying she mentaly snapped?

agrajag

« Reply #1117 on: May 15, 2019, 01:44:43 PM »
all my posts combined are shorter than your one long ass carepost, riopogi!

:sheik

How many hours of videos have you watched in the last day about this?  lol

probably a couple, I watch a lot of youtube and the algo keeps recommending me GoT videos

Himu

« Reply #1118 on: May 15, 2019, 01:46:14 PM »
after re-reading (listening) to that passage, do you believe that gleefully committing genocide is in her character?

Absolutely. The problem with this passage is that it's taken out of context as if it's made in a bubble. And yet here's Dany's final chapter. In A Dance With Dragons Dany goes from caring for the people to marinating herself with her power and heritage. By the end of the novel she has resolved herself to not bother herself with the petty lives of the common people. "What was even that Meereneese girls name? I am the blood of the dragon."

You know what? I'm going to retire the "mad queen" phrase going forward because it does injustice to her character.

However, Dany has shown in both mediums to be capable of much cruelty. Almost as much as the goodness she's capable of bearing. This is why she is compelling.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1119 on: May 15, 2019, 01:47:35 PM »
Here we are, a book fan, asking if Dany is a bad person. A Song of Ice and Fire isn't not about bad people. There are very few actual bad people in this story. Ramsay, Joffrey, and arguably Tywin. She is not bad, but she's certainly not good.

"Arguably" Tywin?

Directly responsible for wanton rape and murder.  Horrific abuse to his own children.  I reminded someone the other day who had forgotten about Tyrion's first wife; that story tells you exactly what kind of man Tywin was...

What's the "argument," that he thought the definition of a "good man" was doing literally whatever it took to make his family - the ones he liked anyway - stronger?  All that is is a motive. 

Monsters almost never think they're monsters.  There are total monsters everywhere in this crapsack setting; the difference between Tywin and the others you might list off is just that he was the most calculating and intelligent monster.

I say arguably because while I personally think he's a bad man, I still struggle to place him on the same footing as Ramsay or Joffrey. But you're right. I'll add Roose Bolton to the list.
IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #1120 on: May 15, 2019, 01:49:45 PM »
lol there are a shitload of "bad people," Cindi.  Sir Gregor? His whole possee? The Torturer, Dick Twister, Biter, Rorge, etc.

Himu

« Reply #1121 on: May 15, 2019, 01:52:35 PM »
Most of those aren't major characters.

In any case I still do not like using "good guys" and "bad guys" in reference to anyone in this story and asking if Daenerys is a bad person is a stupid question in a series where a man like Jaime Lannister can show depth after thinking he's a villain.
IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #1122 on: May 15, 2019, 01:55:00 PM »
The Mountain is a major character. Lord Frey, the Mad King himself, Euron, etc. etc.

shosta

« Reply #1123 on: May 15, 2019, 01:55:05 PM »
are you saying she mentaly snapped?
It was a (war) crime of passion.
每天生气

Himu

« Reply #1124 on: May 15, 2019, 01:55:43 PM »
The Mountain is a major character. Lord Frey, the Mad King himself, Euron, etc. etc.

The point was that truly bad people are, much like in life, very, very rare in ASOIAF/GOT. Not that they don't exist.
IYKYK

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #1127 on: May 15, 2019, 03:02:59 PM »
My god y’all putting more thought and energy into this than the show runners

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #1128 on: May 15, 2019, 03:38:59 PM »
What did I expect Dany to do when she wins? Rule like Aegon the conqueror? Rule like she did Mereen? I don't know, I didn't map out an entire fanfic plot in my head I wanted the show to follow, I'm not a writer.

I mean, her conquest of slave cities was entirely through using fear and power. She never formed an alliance with anybody unless it was to defeat a bigger enemy. She's just not the diplomat type.

When she gets to King's Landing, there are no more enemies left, so she solidifies her power. The writing could be better to prepare for that, but I don't think that burning King's Landing is some unusually evil thing to do. If anything, the point is probably to make you think about whether Dany was just like every other asshole in the world.

agrajag

« Reply #1129 on: May 15, 2019, 03:49:41 PM »
maybe if the writing was good, there would be no confusion over her going insane or solidifying her power.

Besides, the whole city was already cowering in fear. It wasn't Jon's army the Golden Company laid down their swords for. It was Dany on her dragon single handedly obliterating the Iron Fleet and destroying walls and battlements like a wrecking ball. They were already filled with fear. Of her. There was zero need to burn women and children. If she wanted to cap it off with an exclamation point, destroying the Red Keep with the Cersei inside would have sufficed.

And it's hardly pragmatic to utterly raze the entire capital city that you are going to have to spend millions of man hours and unthinkable amounts of Westerosi currency rebuilding.

Himu

« Reply #1130 on: May 15, 2019, 03:56:24 PM »
maybe if the writing was good, there would be no confusion over her going insane or solidifying her power.

Maybe if you'd wait till the next episode you would find out.

I said days ago: you don't even see her face during the sack. You have no idea. All you can literally do is wait. This discussion is pointless now and has been for days. Every argument has been pulled, every juncture seen. Your judgement, however valid, is completely premature.

I've shat on this show more than anyone here besides maybe Glen, and look at what you wrote dude.

"there would be no confusion over her going insane or solidifying her power. "

Regarding a penultimate episode where we don't even see her reaction.

Sit down, cool your jets, and wait for the final episode.

This entire discussion is exhausted. Fuck.
IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #1131 on: May 15, 2019, 04:01:43 PM »
bro the writers are literally spelling it out for you that she's gone nuts. Not only in their commentary, but with "every Targ is a coin flip." People are ignoring that and coming up with their own motives that make slightly more sense (but still not completely, as I laid out above). The writers spelled out for you that Jaime still loves Cersei and went to be with her. You chose to ignore them and claim it's a "misdirection" and called everyone who disagreed with you dummies who don't know good storytellin'. You were wrong. When the writers outright tell me something, I believe them.

:yeshrug

Himu

« Reply #1132 on: May 15, 2019, 04:17:28 PM »
Oh, I believe that she's nuts.
IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #1133 on: May 15, 2019, 04:19:23 PM »
ok, that's it. No more from me in this thread except for memes until S6.

:rejoice

Himu

« Reply #1134 on: May 15, 2019, 04:24:51 PM »
In any case, I believe she's nuts (she has shown she's does not care for the blood of innocents before) but I also think it's a fear based tactic. After all," let it be fear."
IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #1135 on: May 15, 2019, 04:26:31 PM »
nope, not gonna rope me back in

Himu

« Reply #1136 on: May 15, 2019, 04:27:45 PM »
I'm not.
IYKYK

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #1137 on: May 15, 2019, 04:36:08 PM »

Besides, the whole city was already cowering in fear. It wasn't Jon's army the Golden Company laid down their swords for. It was Dany on her dragon single handedly obliterating the Iron Fleet and destroying walls and battlements like a wrecking ball. They were already filled with fear. Of her. There was zero need to burn women and children. If she wanted to cap it off with an exclamation point, destroying the Red Keep with the Cersei inside would have sufficed.

And it's hardly pragmatic to utterly raze the entire capital city that you are going to have to spend millions of man hours and unthinkable amounts of Westerosi currency rebuilding.

rebuilding? Why?

Why would you want to live there?
What

agrajag

« Reply #1138 on: May 15, 2019, 04:38:10 PM »
why wouldn't you?

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #1139 on: May 15, 2019, 04:39:22 PM »
I just felt like she didn't really give a fuck about the actual city at this point

aww you edited your comment :(
What