Author Topic: River Of Slime |OT| Mission: Impossible  (Read 3853361 times)

Boredfrom

Re: River Of Slime |OT| Mission: Impossible
« Reply #14400 on: May 06, 2019, 08:23:18 PM »
Everyone's (least) favorite know-it-all from 'Nier: Automata' learns a lesson.

:rash

Boredfrom

« Reply #14401 on: May 06, 2019, 08:26:17 PM »
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/3k5kvw/fanfic-the-trials-of-the-false-yorha-oracle

What on earth?  ???

This story was first published by Waypoint, VICE's gaming site. You can now find the same great gaming content right here at vice.com.

:whew

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #14402 on: May 06, 2019, 08:32:17 PM »
Well let's hope all of that abuse that was reported to be active at VICE was taken care of, or Autism Walking will look like a real hypocrite.

shoveitupherass.jpg
Margs

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
« Reply #14403 on: May 06, 2019, 08:39:11 PM »
What the fuck at that comissioned 9S fan fic  :anhuld :lol

how did i not read about this on reset  ???

BisMarckie

« Reply #14404 on: May 06, 2019, 08:40:42 PM »
Nintex seal of quality fanfic.

Boredfrom

« Reply #14405 on: May 06, 2019, 08:43:05 PM »
What the fuck at that comissioned 9S fan fic  :anhuld :lol

how did i not read about this on reset  ???

It was mentioned on Resetera when the Red String Controversy arose. Is just that most RE doesn’t care about Waypoint outside political grandstanding.

Snoopycat_

« Reply #14406 on: May 06, 2019, 09:00:57 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/waypoint-folded-back-into-vice-games-immediately-loses-unique-editorial-voice.115474/page-7#post-20531245

"The same game industry that routinely sexualizes & objectifies young girls/women, still has issues giving anyone but straight white men the role of a protagonist, that has a common issue of toxic work places for women and minorities who still face constant misogyny & bigotry in the workplace, that refuses to let workers unionize, that works its workers to death with 70-100 hour work weeks, that would rather give huge bonuses to executives than hold on to talented workforce etc.

So progressive."

Yet he has 5000 posts on a forum dedicated to an industry that routinely sexualizes & objectifies young girls/women, still has issues giving anyone but straight white men the role of a protagonist, that has a common issue of toxic work places for women and minorities who still face constant misogyny & bigotry in the workplace, that refuses to let workers unionize, that works its workers to death with 70-100 hour work weeks, that would rather give huge bonuses to executives than hold on to talented workforce etc.

So hypocritical.

Boredfrom

« Reply #14407 on: May 06, 2019, 09:07:54 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/waypoint-folded-back-into-vice-games-immediately-loses-unique-editorial-voice.115474/page-7#post-20531245

"The same game industry that routinely sexualizes & objectifies young girls/women, still has issues giving anyone but straight white men the role of a protagonist, that has a common issue of toxic work places for women and minorities who still face constant misogyny & bigotry in the workplace, that refuses to let workers unionize, that works its workers to death with 70-100 hour work weeks, that would rather give huge bonuses to executives than hold on to talented workforce etc.

So progressive."

Yet he has 5000 posts on a forum dedicated to an industry that routinely sexualizes & objectifies young girls/women, still has issues giving anyone but straight white men the role of a protagonist, that has a common issue of toxic work places for women and minorities who still face constant misogyny & bigotry in the workplace, that refuses to let workers unionize, that works its workers to death with 70-100 hour work weeks, that would rather give huge bonuses to executives than hold on to talented workforce etc.

So hypocritical.

shittycomicmedievaltimes.jpg

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #14408 on: May 06, 2019, 09:10:31 PM »

BisMarckie

« Reply #14411 on: May 06, 2019, 09:26:25 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/videogamedunkey-youtuber-tier-list.115499/

Don't forget about the homophobic slurs! What a cool guy, haha.

I winced like I got punched
I think he's putting the garbage in the top tiers...like I think that's the joke. but if not then yeah super Yikes...
A video Boogie would be proud of.

:stahp

Keemstar told TotalBiscuit (John Bain) who was fighting cancer - “I can’t wait to report on your death”.

What? We love TotalBiscuit now!

BisMarckie

« Reply #14412 on: May 06, 2019, 09:28:13 PM »
super Yikes

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #14413 on: May 06, 2019, 09:28:40 PM »
The tiers being reversed doesn’t fix anything and as I said, this doesn’t work. He’s not being obvious at all if it’s satire and his description explicitly stated that it’s not a joke. Someone will watch this and think “oh, keem has the latest news? Imma go watch that”.
:-\

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14414 on: May 06, 2019, 09:32:12 PM »
The tiers being reversed doesn’t fix anything and as I said, this doesn’t work. He’s not being obvious at all if it’s satire and his description explicitly stated that it’s not a joke. Someone will watch this and think “oh, keem has the latest news? Imma go watch that”.
:-\

:neogaf
dog

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #14415 on: May 06, 2019, 09:41:12 PM »

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #14416 on: May 06, 2019, 09:48:48 PM »
oh, keem has the latest news? Imma go watch that
©@©™

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #14417 on: May 06, 2019, 09:53:00 PM »
Are you being pedantic? If Bernie isn't wearing a yamaka or a kippa or dressed as a rabbi, how in the world you gonna know he's jewish without him telling you? The dude passes as a white man. Young Jewish kids have the curly hair and that can give you tip sometimes but they overall pass as white.

I don't know why it seems like you need a math equation to understand.

(Image removed from quote.)

https://www.resetera.com/threads/pete-buttigieg-queer-erasure.115424/post-20523564

He probably edited out big crooked nose too.

Quote from: DigitalOp
Quote from: Matt
First of all, cool it.

Secondly, you seem to not know much about the Jewish people, so I suggest you read up before continuing this conversation.
No prob, Ill def read up.

But being confused on how American* Jews are seen as white passing is pretty baffling to me. It shouldn't be confusing is what im saying.

Edit: So I did some research and the mistake I made was that Polish Jews were pretty white in appearance. Askenazi ancestry making up the majoirty of American Jewish population. So now im even more confused over your question.

But ima let it go, its whatever.

Smacked the fuck down by a mod

(Image removed from quote.)

Pretty sure Digital OP doesn't get the concept of how White Identity is able to mutate depending on how white people want to accept new ethic groups of who gets to be 'white'.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #14418 on: May 06, 2019, 10:17:03 PM »
Dunkey still cool with white supremacist Jontron. No surprises there.
He’s in the same shit level as most of those youtubers so yeah.
Quote from: DigitalOP
All i got from this is "popular" Youtube is hella white..

Not dunkeys best here
Not a great video from Dunkey. The point was a bit lost in the randomness of the placements and I'm not sure he was saying anything meaningful here. The worst part here is he failed to differentiate out the truly bad people/Youtubers from his friends like H3H3.

So many people here unable to pick up on anything beyond literal interpretations.
People taking this long to realize dunkey is a piece of shit?
每天生气

« Reply #14419 on: May 06, 2019, 10:23:16 PM »

Don't forget about the homophobic slurs! What a cool guy, haha.

I think he's putting the garbage in the top tiers...like I think that's the joke. but if not then yeah super Yikes...
A video Boogie would be proud of.

:stahp

Keemstar told TotalBiscuit (John Bain) who was fighting cancer - “I can’t wait to report on your death”.

What? We love TotalBiscuit now!

Wonder if any of these people know Dunkey is still friends with people like Jontron and Pewdiepie and their placement in the list isn't irony.

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #14420 on: May 06, 2019, 10:38:45 PM »
i've always liked comedians who deliver sincerity, satire and sarcasm in one tangled ball and just leave it that way.

absolute nightmare for ree though.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 11:04:29 PM by headwalk »

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #14421 on: May 06, 2019, 10:49:17 PM »
You're welcome

clothedmacuser

• Defender of Centrist Scum
« Reply #14422 on: May 06, 2019, 11:18:39 PM »
sigh

remy

« Reply #14423 on: May 06, 2019, 11:51:49 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/waypoint-folded-back-into-vice-games-immediately-loses-unique-editorial-voice-staff-is-still-the-same.115474/page-8#post-20535987

Reset content thieves once again swiping the original contributions of Bire members  :dayum

The only bire related member swiping i wanna see is under the Queensborough Bridge

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #14424 on: May 07, 2019, 12:09:28 AM »
gueypoint  :pitbull

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #14425 on: May 07, 2019, 12:31:02 AM »
Riotious: Supports Chinese Spyware game launchers, supports someone that physically assaults a voice-actor in a hotel. Wrong for America. Bad for America.

Vote GabeN 2020™.

Paid for by /r/fuckEpic and a Better America.

https://twitter.com/davideddings/status/1125565281261297664

https://twitter.com/davideddings/status/1125565282586714114

https://twitter.com/davideddings/status/1125565283924574208

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #14426 on: May 07, 2019, 12:32:26 AM »
Riotious: Supports Chinese Spyware game launchers, supports someone that physically assaults a voice-actor in a hotel. Wrong for America. Bad for America.

Vote GabeN 2020™.

Paid for by /r/fuckEpic and a Better America.

https://twitter.com/davideddings/status/1125565281261297664
https://www.tumblr.com/activity
https://twitter.com/davideddings/status/1125565282586714114

https://twitter.com/davideddings/status/1125565283924574208

what an absolute cunt  :fabulous :pacspit
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 12:36:48 AM by filler »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #14427 on: May 07, 2019, 12:33:26 AM »

thisismyusername

« Reply #14428 on: May 07, 2019, 12:34:26 AM »
Filler, you ruined my bomb-shell, dude. :doge :'(

remy

« Reply #14429 on: May 07, 2019, 12:34:56 AM »
imagine having your ass beat by a goober like pitchford.

it's almost more humilitating than posting publically that you're excited about your wife cuckolding you on resetera

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #14430 on: May 07, 2019, 12:49:00 AM »
Filler, you ruined my bomb-shell, dude. :doge :'(
:patel

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0

tuna_love

« Reply #14432 on: May 07, 2019, 01:59:34 AM »
 :rodney

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #14433 on: May 07, 2019, 02:11:47 AM »
Imagine what would happen to the world if people on the left realised you could be socially progressive without being an obnoxious cunt.

Really makes you think, huh?
Spud

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #14434 on: May 07, 2019, 02:24:33 AM »
Not reallly

PogiJones

« Reply #14435 on: May 07, 2019, 02:35:33 AM »
Posting your stand-up routine on The Bire is as masochistic as apologizing to RE.

:respect

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #14436 on: May 07, 2019, 03:27:18 AM »
Posters lining up to suck off an admin over a 3/10 joke  :goldberg

How’s that any different from here?   :kermit
#BANTHEMODSANDKILLTHEM

benjipwns

« Reply #14437 on: May 07, 2019, 03:32:02 AM »
Dunkey still cool with white supremacist Jontron. No surprises there.
He’s in the same shit level as most of those youtubers so yeah.
Quote from: DigitalOP
All i got from this is "popular" Youtube is hella white..

Not dunkeys best here
Not a great video from Dunkey. The point was a bit lost in the randomness of the placements and I'm not sure he was saying anything meaningful here. The worst part here is he failed to differentiate out the truly bad people/Youtubers from his friends like H3H3.

So many people here unable to pick up on anything beyond literal interpretations.
People taking this long to realize dunkey is a piece of shit?
it's like they didn't even see the videos with leigh

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #14438 on: May 07, 2019, 03:39:15 AM »
Posting your stand-up routine on The Bire is as masochistic as apologizing to RE.

:respect

What'd i miss

benjipwns

« Reply #14439 on: May 07, 2019, 04:16:29 AM »
Waypoint has offered, for the last two and a bit years, an almost unique perspective on games and the games industry.

Unashamedly political in an industry that shuns politics. Unashamedly leftist in an industry that skews right. Unashamedly safe for women, BAME and LGBT folks* in an industry that is largely hateful towards them.
I thought about this post too long. Because it's an encapsulation of ResetERA.com's continued confusion about politics, "everything is political" and what entails "leftism" underpinning their entire crusade.

Waypoint isn't "unashamedly political" nor "unashamedly leftist" anymore than Kotaku is. Its political interests (and feel free to compare this to ResetERA.com's) are very thin cleavage interested in purely a mainstream upper class cultural milieu. It's a reactionary politics based entirely around conceptions of group identities and unstated notions of oppression. It knee jerks against anything from an out group in defense of anything in the in group. The "political" messages are entirely self-obviously supporting within the group. The Buttigieg being gay thing is a good example, he's gay therefore he understands...well, nothing. Because he can only speak to his own personal experience, not Ms.Galaxy's need to fight off chasers every single day in the horror fields of Boston. A recent popular statement from the threads that Finale Fireworker dumps boilerplate on and then gets to banning over is "trans rights are human rights" or "sport is a human right" yet neither of these claims are ever broken down and explained politically, it's simply self-evidently "good" and therefore supported.

We can look at the claim regarding "leftism" in a similar manner. Waypoint and ResetERA.com don't construct actual leftist ideologies, nor adopt them from elsewhere. Their primary ideology as I've argued regularly is reactionary and defensive of a specific and surprisingly narrow conception of what they don't see as a status quo. They don't support unions, or universal health insurance or anything else due to an underlying construction of how the world should operate, they both snag it from elite authorities who tell them to support it and because people they dislike oppose it. To take the original foundation of "left" and "right" we have simply on the left the rejection of the status quo and on the right a defense of the status quo. In Revolutionary France, in the Soviet Union even, this never got to the point of outlining an ideology, and certainly not one what WayERA.com subscribes to. Their ideology is a reflexive defense of a status quo they identified with as they constructed their self-image. They aren't "non leftists" because of their obsession with corporations like Disney or Nintendo or whatever, they're non-leftist because their ideal is a status quo where the continued dominance of things they like, be it Marvel films, Nintendo Directs or the Democratic Party continues unchecked.

When it comes to analyzing video games, Waypoint certainly does not, and ResetERA.com doesn't either, do much of anything to challenge the status quo in 90% of subjects within the industry. Video games, like most forms of art have always bumped up against societal acceptance, Mortal Kombat coming back around again as a controversy is a perfect example. An indie game that outlines some kind of shitty "message" while having no actual gameplay doesn't challenge the status quo of gaming. The things that challenge the status quo of gaming are those that cause revolutions within the industry and drag large chunks of it with it. PUBG and Fortnite are far more revolutionary and "leftist" than any lame ass "social justice" thing Waypoint is pushing. Both upended the industry, helped create entirely new markets like popular Nazi streamers, rewrote the way the consumer interacts with the product, and brought Chinese spyware onto our computers thanks to riotious's one man agenda.

Complaining about the designs or characterizations of characters inside video games or how a video game that before controversy probably would have been ignored is so terrible is a fools idea of a "political engagement" with gaming subjects. Cultural critique is a high class salon endeavor, it's a perfect example of ResetERA.com's moronic meme about how "only rich people can afford to [do whatever]" in that only the upper class salon can afford to navel gaze about the exposed femoral arteries of a character model.

It's "political" and "leftist" purely in the sense that they have distilled politics, and even leftist politics, down to merely the act of bitching about something they don't like online, often in bad faith purely for performative purposes. The more hyperbolic the better.

We can even make a case that the video game journalism outlets that continue to attempt to recreate the same outlets that have existed forever and merely tweak them around the edges as dominantly conservative enterprises. While something like Giant Bomb was an elite form of what has become the YouTube channel revolution of games coverage where select channels specifically don't do what everyone else is racing to do the same as others. Giant Bomb just flat out playing games, especially obscure random shit or things like FLIGHT CLUB, for an hour was a revolutionary concept when they did it a decade ago. Dunkey and Yahtzee have both gained followings because they deconstructed and then reconstructed the video review/preview. Both write scripts that they write and re-write and connect to the images on screen and even music choices, something that the status quo reviewers of an IGN or etc. essentially don't. (In that specific case they may simply lift another video's transcript for the script. doge) Because their goal ultimately is to recreate what came before and attach it to what's seen as new without conceptualizing why their meeting things on a checklist don't make them competitive with amateurs.

Just hypothetically, Dunkey may be Lou Dobbs Jr. and support everything Trump does. But in the sphere of video game writing (and this is what he does ultimately) it's him, not the "unashamedly political" Waypoint or Polygon that is a status quo rejecting revolutionary. Best illustrated by the montage he put together of "it really makes you feel like Batman" clips. He critiqued the video game writer culture in a way that challenged its very assumptions. Waypoint saying "we aren't going to review this game [because social justice reasons]" isn't revolutionary, editorial has always wrote whole swaths of titles out of what they covered for all kinds of reasons. CGW and PC Gamer didn't review all the many porn games that advertised in the back of their issues and didn't have to explain why.

Plus even in terms of "performative leftism" Waypoint already showed their cards when they shut up and repeated corporate's talking points regarding #MeToo and unionism.

benjipwns

« Reply #14440 on: May 07, 2019, 04:16:59 AM »
 :exxy :no1curr :exxy

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:tauntaun
[close]

Pepinappe

• Ass
« Reply #14441 on: May 07, 2019, 04:22:42 AM »
Lol SweetSlurpyNikole noping out of that thread and not replying anymore after people quoted her the fuck out.  :lol

benjipwns

« Reply #14442 on: May 07, 2019, 04:43:59 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/opinions-on-a-hat-in-time.115360/
Quote from: The OP
I'm thirsting for a good 3D platformer. I haven't played one in years. I don't remember reading much about this game when it came out. Why? Is it not as good as people were expecting? No word of mouth? Not in people's top 10 lists?

I also looked up the release date and saw that Super Mario Odyssey came out in the same month? So that kinda... paints a picture if you know what I mean.

Anyways... I might get this on PC but what are yalls opinion on this game years later?

And...go!

Well there’s a racist voicing an npc in it, so there’s that.
If you are complicit in the creator's horrible actions, like allowing a certain youtuber to keep their in-game role despite outing themselves as a white supremacist, then you might like it.
It does speak to the character of the developer and something worth considering when choosing to support them or not.

Jontron voiced an NPC in both Yooka Laylee and Hat in Time.

He’s revealed to be a eugenics supporting, text book racist on a debate with Destiny.

Playtonic does the right thing and drops racist from their game. Gears for Breakfast does not.
Outside of the JonTron stuff which is already pretty bad, the creator himself is kind of a piece of shit.

Good to see the game is of quality. I think I will get it.
Thanks guys.

Thanks guys.
What is your opinion on the controversy surrounding this game?
Yes it does, lol. Just like how Persona's homophobia brings the overall quality down.
Not just that either. People love to handwave that as "It's just two lines!" which is plenty fucked up logic as is, but on top of that the director himself is a problem.

And yes, there's those of us who WILL keep bringing it up. It's always on topic. People are seriously exposing themselves when they criticize us for bringing this up.
That wasn't the point of their post. They wanted to point out the ethical ramifications of supporting this game's creator. If the potential customer doesn't care, then that speaks volumes about their personality in general. Oh well, not everyone has a spine.
I like how people saying “it’s just two lines, they reduced his role!” fail to explain why they even bothered to keep them at that point. Wouldn’t it have been much simpler and garnered much more good will if they had done away with these lone two lines alltogether?

It leads me to believe that they were more worried about pissing off and scaring the dollars away from his alt-right fanbase.
all I know is that it's the game that has jontron in it
Quote from: moderator, The Woods
You can chose not to engage with posts talking about elements of a game or it's creation/creators that you don't want to, but don't enter a thread with petty whining about "politics". If you're more concerned about people posting about games supporting or containing bigoted content than you are about the actual problematic content in question, perhaps reconsider your priorities.

Thread closed per OP request.

benjipwns

« Reply #14443 on: May 07, 2019, 04:48:55 AM »
FREE AT LAST, FREE AT LAST
OFFICIAL STAFF COMMUNICATION
After discussing user feedback submitted by PM, we have decided to close this OT a month early and lift the moratorium on individual Democratic Primary threads. In doing so we are trusting you to create threads with restraint and with quality OPs, and to remain civil and on-topic in those threads.

Please be aware that we will be watching carefully and moderating as actively as necessary to address the following:
  • Threads devolving into "mini-OTs" instead of focusing on the topic in the title. If a discussion is not bringing anything new to the table, it is liable to be locked.
  • "Factions" of members colluding to engage in petty and personal vendettas against each other. We know it's too much to expect you all to get along, but these threads are meant to provide discussion for the whole community. They are not battlegrounds for your clique to settle scores with others. When you disagree, do so on substance and without invective.
  • Excessive thread posting on similar topics by the same members, especially with low quality or low content OPs consisting of little more than an article link and/or quote. Please think carefully about how much substance your thread really has before you create it.
  • It is difficult enough to moderate these threads without users actively trying to make that task more difficult. Be courteous to the staff at all times.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #14445 on: May 07, 2019, 06:22:44 AM »
Trying to insinuate that the people who respect Kingdom Come's faithfulness must also be perverted hypocrites is some of the laziest virtue-signalling character assassination i've ever seen.

I can't imagine the person who does that comic has any self-awareness whatsoever.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #14446 on: May 07, 2019, 06:50:55 AM »
Lol SweetSlurpyNikole noping out of that thread and not replying anymore after people quoted her the fuck out.  :lol

Is a pattern an history ? :thinking
ὕβρις

BisMarckie

« Reply #14447 on: May 07, 2019, 06:58:46 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/videogamedunkey-youtuber-tier-list.115499/page-4
All quotes from user Muteki
Every professional comic has to workshop and review sometimes
I can't account for what everyone else is doing, but it's what I'm doing in here
I mean there's probably a good joke somewhere to be built from this about the pot, kettle, and using the hard r, but I'll leave it to the master satirists in this thread
Dang, I thought "Welcome to ResetEra. Our wallets are ready" would catch on

Need Transhuman‘s professional opinion on this.

tummyfat

« Reply #14448 on: May 07, 2019, 07:28:37 AM »
I'm thirsting for a good 3D platformer. I haven't played one in years. I don't remember reading much about this game when it came out. Why? Is it not as good as people were expecting? No word of mouth? Not in people's top 10 lists?

I also looked up the release date and saw that Super Mario Odyssey came out in the same month? So that kinda... paints a picture if you know what I mean.

Anyways... I might get this on PC but what are yalls opinion on this game years later?

And...go!

If you are complicit in the creator's horrible actions, like allowing a certain youtuber to keep their in-game role despite outing themselves as a white supremacist, then you might like it.
It does speak to the character of the developer and something worth considering when choosing to support them or not.

He’s revealed to be a eugenics supporting, text book racist on a debate with Destiny.

Playtonic does the right thing and drops racist from their game. Gears for Breakfast does not.
Outside of the JonTron stuff which is already pretty bad, the creator himself is kind of a piece of shit.

Thanks guys.

Thanks guys.
Yes it does, lol. Just like how Persona's homophobia brings the overall quality down.
Not just that either. People love to handwave that as "It's just two lines!" which is plenty fucked up logic as is, but on top of that the director himself is a problem.

And yes, there's those of us who WILL keep bringing it up. It's always on topic. People are seriously exposing themselves when they criticize us for bringing this up.
That wasn't the point of their post. They wanted to point out the ethical ramifications of supporting this game's creator. If the potential customer doesn't care, then that speaks volumes about their personality in general. Oh well, not everyone has a spine.
I like how people saying “it’s just two lines, they reduced his role!” fail to explain why they even bothered to keep them at that point. Wouldn’t it have been much simpler and garnered much more good will if they had done away with these lone two lines alltogether?

It leads me to believe that they were more worried about pissing off and scaring the dollars away from his alt-right fanbase.
You can chose not to engage with posts talking about elements of a game or it's creation/creators that you don't want to, but don't enter a thread with petty whining about "politics". If you're more concerned about people posting about games supporting or containing bigoted content than you are about the actual problematic content in question, perhaps reconsider your priorities.

What a joyless hellscape.

It’s been years but they can’t set aside two lines of recorded dialogue to enjoy something that dozens of artists, animators and designers worked hard on

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #14449 on: May 07, 2019, 07:43:03 AM »
Are they that daft?

Why can't they have the ot and other misc threads, lol

It is difficult enough to moderate these threads without users actively trying to make that task more difficult. Be courteous to the staff at all times.

:crybaby
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 07:48:46 AM by Cauliflower Of Love »

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #14450 on: May 07, 2019, 07:44:29 AM »
You're welcome

I bet you don't even ask that people not record your act like that bigot Louie C.K.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/louis-ck-really-doesnt-want-you-to-know-what-jokes-hes-telling.115289/#post-20489368

Almondboy

kiss kiss

eyyy you weren't kiddin'

"What is the deal with the Christchurch massacre? It didn't happen in a church, and there's no Christ."

My opening joke 2 weeks back.

the other set was a lot better, the hangman's noose joke was the best one but it seemed like some people in the audience didn't like suicide jokes so fuck em
Uncle

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #14451 on: May 07, 2019, 08:55:55 AM »

And...go!

Thanks guys.

Thanks guys.

JONTRON WAS THE BIRD!!
©@©™

Boredfrom

« Reply #14452 on: May 07, 2019, 09:34:22 AM »
Someone can correct me if I’m misremembering, but they never accused the developers of “trying to support colonialism.”

A game (or any media) can unintentionally comment or take a stance on a concept. That doesn’t protect it from criticism, and frequently the people at Waypoint give creators the benefit of the doubt when it comes to those instances. Don’t recall them accusing Capcom of propagandizing colonialism, but feel free to quote where they said that.

Aside from that, if your argument’s based on “it’s a take that no one else had,” then consider that so few gaming outlets ever even acknowledge themes/philosophies in games, let alone stuff like treatment of trans characters in game stories (or hold a fundraiser to support trans causes in real life).

“No one else had this take,” is more an indictment on the rest of games media, and even the Cliff Notes version of their critique of MHW’s colonial elements was better founded than your argument here.

The best takes!

For some reason even bringing up an issue IS THE ISSUE for a lot of fans of media. Critical theory itself is the enemy. Same thing with this Monster Hunter World article. Who knows how many have even read it. It's weirdly accepted to be against even looking at media in that way. This doesn't just apply to video games, obv

“I feel bad for killing dragons in a video game, I feel like Trump Jr”.

marrec

« Reply #14453 on: May 07, 2019, 09:34:29 AM »
Waypoint has offered, for the last two and a bit years, an almost unique perspective on games and the games industry.

Unashamedly political in an industry that shuns politics. Unashamedly leftist in an industry that skews right. Unashamedly safe for women, BAME and LGBT folks* in an industry that is largely hateful towards them.
I thought about this post too long. Because it's an encapsulation of ResetERA.com's continued confusion about politics, "everything is political" and what entails "leftism" underpinning their entire crusade.

Waypoint isn't "unashamedly political" nor "unashamedly leftist" anymore than Kotaku is. Its political interests (and feel free to compare this to ResetERA.com's) are very thin cleavage interested in purely a mainstream upper class cultural milieu. It's a reactionary politics based entirely around conceptions of group identities and unstated notions of oppression. It knee jerks against anything from an out group in defense of anything in the in group. The "political" messages are entirely self-obviously supporting within the group. The Buttigieg being gay thing is a good example, he's gay therefore he understands...well, nothing. Because he can only speak to his own personal experience, not Ms.Galaxy's need to fight off chasers every single day in the horror fields of Boston. A recent popular statement from the threads that Finale Fireworker dumps boilerplate on and then gets to banning over is "trans rights are human rights" or "sport is a human right" yet neither of these claims are ever broken down and explained politically, it's simply self-evidently "good" and therefore supported.

We can look at the claim regarding "leftism" in a similar manner. Waypoint and ResetERA.com don't construct actual leftist ideologies, nor adopt them from elsewhere. Their primary ideology as I've argued regularly is reactionary and defensive of a specific and surprisingly narrow conception of what they don't see as a status quo. They don't support unions, or universal health insurance or anything else due to an underlying construction of how the world should operate, they both snag it from elite authorities who tell them to support it and because people they dislike oppose it. To take the original foundation of "left" and "right" we have simply on the left the rejection of the status quo and on the right a defense of the status quo. In Revolutionary France, in the Soviet Union even, this never got to the point of outlining an ideology, and certainly not one what WayERA.com subscribes to. Their ideology is a reflexive defense of a status quo they identified with as they constructed their self-image. They aren't "non leftists" because of their obsession with corporations like Disney or Nintendo or whatever, they're non-leftist because their ideal is a status quo where the continued dominance of things they like, be it Marvel films, Nintendo Directs or the Democratic Party continues unchecked.

When it comes to analyzing video games, Waypoint certainly does not, and ResetERA.com doesn't either, do much of anything to challenge the status quo in 90% of subjects within the industry. Video games, like most forms of art have always bumped up against societal acceptance, Mortal Kombat coming back around again as a controversy is a perfect example. An indie game that outlines some kind of shitty "message" while having no actual gameplay doesn't challenge the status quo of gaming. The things that challenge the status quo of gaming are those that cause revolutions within the industry and drag large chunks of it with it. PUBG and Fortnite are far more revolutionary and "leftist" than any lame ass "social justice" thing Waypoint is pushing. Both upended the industry, helped create entirely new markets like popular Nazi streamers, rewrote the way the consumer interacts with the product, and brought Chinese spyware onto our computers thanks to riotious's one man agenda.

Complaining about the designs or characterizations of characters inside video games or how a video game that before controversy probably would have been ignored is so terrible is a fools idea of a "political engagement" with gaming subjects. Cultural critique is a high class salon endeavor, it's a perfect example of ResetERA.com's moronic meme about how "only rich people can afford to [do whatever]" in that only the upper class salon can afford to navel gaze about the exposed femoral arteries of a character model.

It's "political" and "leftist" purely in the sense that they have distilled politics, and even leftist politics, down to merely the act of bitching about something they don't like online, often in bad faith purely for performative purposes. The more hyperbolic the better.

We can even make a case that the video game journalism outlets that continue to attempt to recreate the same outlets that have existed forever and merely tweak them around the edges as dominantly conservative enterprises. While something like Giant Bomb was an elite form of what has become the YouTube channel revolution of games coverage where select channels specifically don't do what everyone else is racing to do the same as others. Giant Bomb just flat out playing games, especially obscure random shit or things like FLIGHT CLUB, for an hour was a revolutionary concept when they did it a decade ago. Dunkey and Yahtzee have both gained followings because they deconstructed and then reconstructed the video review/preview. Both write scripts that they write and re-write and connect to the images on screen and even music choices, something that the status quo reviewers of an IGN or etc. essentially don't. (In that specific case they may simply lift another video's transcript for the script. doge) Because their goal ultimately is to recreate what came before and attach it to what's seen as new without conceptualizing why their meeting things on a checklist don't make them competitive with amateurs.

Just hypothetically, Dunkey may be Lou Dobbs Jr. and support everything Trump does. But in the sphere of video game writing (and this is what he does ultimately) it's him, not the "unashamedly political" Waypoint or Polygon that is a status quo rejecting revolutionary. Best illustrated by the montage he put together of "it really makes you feel like Batman" clips. He critiqued the video game writer culture in a way that challenged its very assumptions. Waypoint saying "we aren't going to review this game [because social justice reasons]" isn't revolutionary, editorial has always wrote whole swaths of titles out of what they covered for all kinds of reasons. CGW and PC Gamer didn't review all the many porn games that advertised in the back of their issues and didn't have to explain why.

Plus even in terms of "performative leftism" Waypoint already showed their cards when they shut up and repeated corporate's talking points regarding #MeToo and unionism.

God I wish some people from ERA would be forced to read this post

spoiler (click to show/hide)
and then give me the spark notes cause I ain't got time to read that shit
[close]

thisismyusername

« Reply #14454 on: May 07, 2019, 10:18:44 AM »
Filler... :uguu

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #14455 on: May 07, 2019, 10:38:16 AM »
Imagine linking your twitch account to GAF  :doge

Getting six viewers

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #14456 on: May 07, 2019, 10:57:17 AM »
Lore outed on Reset huh?

"bored with headache, sounds like a real woman tbh."

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14458 on: May 07, 2019, 11:40:40 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/mitch-mcconnell-will-speak-at-10am-to-declare-mueller-investigation-case-closed.115607/

Quote from: Sulik2, post: 20547543, member: 17807
McConnell is a traitor and an evil human being. I don't often truly hate people, but he is loathsome and disgusting person and I hope he dies a slow painful death when he finally see fits to rid the planet of his existence. Then I will join the long line of people to piss on his grave.
:badass
ど助平

Boredfrom

« Reply #14459 on: May 07, 2019, 11:51:24 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/mitch-mcconnell-will-speak-at-10am-to-declare-mueller-investigation-case-closed.115607/

Quote from: Sulik2, post: 20547543, member: 17807
McConnell is a traitor and an evil human being. I don't often truly hate people, but he is loathsome and disgusting person and I hope he dies a slow painful death when he finally see fits to rid the planet of his existence. Then I will join the long line of people to piss on his grave.
:badass

He is truly a disgusting person, though.