Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2085032 times)

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #13320 on: May 21, 2017, 02:11:48 PM »
Episode 4 made it so i wont watch any of this anymore until the whole season is done at least, and then only if I hear it gets better

etiolate

« Reply #13321 on: May 21, 2017, 02:25:57 PM »
Haven't watched ep 4 yet. You guys are bumming me out.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #13322 on: May 21, 2017, 02:53:35 PM »
havent seen ep 4 yet but im still into it

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #13323 on: May 21, 2017, 10:24:44 PM »
I finished s4 of Sherlock, which I guess means I've finished the series. That was an emotional, rollercoaster, slightly-cheesy but wonderful way to wrap up the show. It looks like they're thinking it will be hard to get all the needed players together again, esp. with Cumberbatch and Freeman finally hitting it big.

A much better set of stories than in s3.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #13324 on: May 21, 2017, 11:57:13 PM »
Kimmy Schmidt; still hilarious

I've watched 6 episodes so far and its been hilarious.

Also Jane Krakowski seems hot as hell this season and I've never especially found her attractive on anything before.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #13325 on: May 21, 2017, 11:58:00 PM »
 Jane Krakowski is the envy of womankind. 

etiolate

« Reply #13326 on: May 22, 2017, 12:35:31 AM »
Yeah ep4 of American Gods is entirely skippable.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #13327 on: May 22, 2017, 02:09:57 AM »
I thought it was a great ep.

Bebpo

« Reply #13328 on: May 23, 2017, 06:59:35 AM »
Catching up on American Gods. Just watched ep2 last night and thought it was great? Much better than the first ep. A couple of the scenes were iffy but once they got to the Russian sisters/czernobog house it was SO GOOD. Like that entire scene was the best possible adaptation that could ever have been made of that sequence. Peter Stormaire was amazing.

One issue I had was the opening to ep2 with Anasi on the slave ship. Like, having read AG and Anansi Boys, that felt really out of character for Anansi and I'm kinda concerned about their adaptation of his character. He's easily one of the best characters, but he's sort of this goofball trickster character that's about love and drinking and outwitting predators. But in the ep2 opening he's all about ANGER and VIOLENCE and KILL THE WHITE MAN AND SACRIFICE YOURSELVES. Also suddenly he has the power to see the future which I don't remember any of the characters in AG having the ability to do so? Maybe I'm just remembering, because that ability in anything always seems broken OP and creates plot holes about why they didn't see something coming. Anyhow, I hope when Anansi becomes more prominent in the show he's closer to the book.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #13329 on: May 23, 2017, 07:45:29 AM »
AG has a massive pacing problem. They're kinda rushing through some stuff, and then go on a full filler backstory episode, which was essentially made up or derived from a couple sentences in the book.

etiolate

« Reply #13331 on: May 23, 2017, 10:32:02 AM »
The anansi speech was a 2016 blogosphere rant delivered by a centuries old god to maritime slaves. It was a giant non-sensible anachronistic mess.

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #13332 on: May 25, 2017, 01:12:03 AM »

Sausage

« Reply #13333 on: May 25, 2017, 01:15:01 AM »
The Americans has been pretty slow this season, but the way the finale is setting up things are about to git gud

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #13335 on: May 25, 2017, 07:04:30 PM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #13336 on: May 25, 2017, 10:41:55 PM »
Started Sneaky Pete, with Gianfrappucino Ribisi and "Ma" from Justified. Looks like it might be good, but Ribisi looks like he's always on the edge of tears. I like stories about grifters, because I am really bad at lying; it's a skill I don't understand.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #13337 on: May 26, 2017, 10:31:05 AM »
This season of Silicon Valley is really weird. They keep introducing and immediately ending new major plots. Like, they can't commit to a single idea.
zzzzz

Bebpo

« Reply #13338 on: May 27, 2017, 05:46:33 AM »
Caught up on American Gods and it's great. I was lukewarm about ep1, but ep2-3 were good outside the zzz sex scenes in both, then I expected ep4's backstory of the wife to be boring since it's essentially filler, but it was a great ep. Feels like the show is in its groove and is a great adaptation.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #13339 on: May 27, 2017, 01:08:50 PM »
Caught up on American Gods and it's great. I was lukewarm about ep1, but ep2-3 were good outside the zzz sex scenes in both, then I expected ep4's backstory of the wife to be boring since it's essentially filler, but it was a great ep. Feels like the show is in its groove and is a great adaptation.

Yup ep 4 is definitely my favorite so far.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #13340 on: May 28, 2017, 10:56:31 AM »
It's been decades since I regularly watched TV, but I'll pass on the shows I keep hearing about.

Stromberg, a copy of The Office.
Der Tatortreiniger, a comedy about a crime scene cleaner.
Doctor's Diary, yet another comedy; guess the setting.
Deutschland 83, shorter series about an East German spy.
Tatort, a crime procedural that's been ongoing since the 70s. Multiple (concurrent?) investigators, most popular (I think) being Götz George's Schimanski.

And since you're asking about French and German shows, I'll throw in Karambolage. It's not fiction, but interesting nonetheless if you want to learn about either country. One of the few shows besides Star Trek I tried to watch regularly back when I actually watched TV. 

zomgee

• We've *all*
rub

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #13342 on: May 28, 2017, 11:43:53 AM »
Should have took my own advice and waited with American Gods, just watched ep 5 and it was a complete snooze, They are focusing on the wrong shit imo, the chars arent interesting enough to carry 1 hour of dialogue leading to nothing, this isnt Hannibal. I think I'm done.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #13343 on: May 28, 2017, 12:04:09 PM »
I think I've asked this here before but does anyone know any TV shows in French or German? I've seen S1 and S2 of Spiral (French) which was good but I think I'd prefer something long running and maybe less dramatic. Lots of dialogue.

Karambolage is a good program, yeah.

Do you want lots of dialogue or not (I'm not sure) ? Because if the latter you're probably shit out of luck, French loves that shit. French TV on the whole is a notch or two below some of the British stuff, not a lot of high production values shows with tons of actions or SFX.

I didn't watch any of that, but those are the safest bets :
- Un village français, which takes place in a country town during WW2. 7 seasons so far (the last one should be final since it covers 1945) and I've only heard good things about it including from a couple of friends of mine (including an history buff).
- Le Bureau des Légendes, 2 or 3 seasons so far and more on the way, which centers around the office managing deep cover agents for French intelligence.
- Engrenages : a procedural drama about the different cogs of French justice within the Paris tribunal. 5 seasons.
- Les Revenants : Loosely based on an earlier film, about how a small countryside community must deal with the dead coming back to life. It's mostly intimist and low key (no flesh eating or anything like that) but this one I've actually seen the first season and I can vouch for the quality of the aesthetics (image & music). I wasn't mad sold on the story but it was interesting nonetheless. 2 seasons. This has been picked up on Netflix and remade in english, too.
- Braquo : I guess it's the French equivalent of The Shield. Produced and created by a former cop (also a director of dubious taste) 32 eps.

Otherwise, but the language barrier and otherness might be too much, there's some comedy shows that might be of interest.
- Kaamelott, a comedic take on Arthurian legend. It's a short program though (210 seconds, over 400 episodes).
-  From some of the same people, Hero Corp, a comedic take on superheroes. Running time varies depending on seasons (and I guess for whom they produced) between  to 26mn.
- Le Visiteur du Futur, a webseries about a slacker and a man pretending to come from 2550 to save Earth of doom.

And to be complete, if you're interested in terrible soap operas : Plus Belle la Vie (480 ep.) & Sous le Soleil (over 3000 eps), taking place respectively in Saint-Tropez and Marseille. I guess it's fine if you love Ricard 51 or have a fetish for French MILFs.

Not a ton of old school stuff to recommend, TV series were long the black sheep of audiovisual production (cop shows were mostly declined as"made for TV" films in 75-90mn). Les Enquętes du Commissaire Maigret/Maigret (as the series had two distinct runs with two lead actors between 1967 and 2005) are probably the best (and most iconic) example of that, adapted from Simenon's novels. It's a character in the vein of Columbo or Poirot.

Otherwise Les Brigades du Tigres, about cops in the 1920-1929 period and produced in the seventies. The series was so-so, but the pseudo-historical context elevates it quite a bit.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 12:16:06 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #13344 on: May 28, 2017, 02:39:49 PM »
ok thx

thats a hell of a write up, bolded font tags and shit (take note rufus)
I'm a lazy cunt. Take what you can get. :yeshrug

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #13345 on: May 30, 2017, 08:09:23 AM »
Trying to squeeze in the first episode of House of Cards before I head out this morning. Really wish they had released season 5 yesterday.

First episode spoiler
spoiler (click to show/hide)
That travel ban tho. I wonder how much of Trump's dumb shit they had time to squeeze in for this season. Hopefully a lot!
[close]

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #13346 on: May 30, 2017, 08:42:10 PM »
I am watching Renegade (River City Ransom) live action drama they went full tilt on the zaniness. :lol

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #13347 on: May 31, 2017, 12:04:16 AM »
I am watching Renegade (River City Ransom) live action drama they went full tilt on the zaniness. :lol
how have i not heard of this??

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #13348 on: June 01, 2017, 01:04:23 AM »

IN

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #13349 on: June 02, 2017, 07:19:40 AM »

:doge

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #13350 on: June 02, 2017, 08:27:46 AM »
I was a tad lukewarm on Kimmy Schmidt s3 first episodes but the conspiracy songwriter made me laugh pretty hard.
ὕβρις

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #13351 on: June 02, 2017, 12:34:07 PM »
First few episodes seemed a bit off to me too, but it seemed to pick back up after that.

I still :rofl at every Blimp reference.
___

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #13352 on: June 02, 2017, 01:08:32 PM »

One issue I had was the opening to ep2 with Anasi on the slave ship. Like, having read AG and Anansi Boys, that felt really out of character for Anansi and I'm kinda concerned about their adaptation of his character. He's easily one of the best characters, but he's sort of this goofball trickster character that's about love and drinking and outwitting predators. But in the ep2 opening he's all about ANGER and VIOLENCE and KILL THE WHITE MAN AND SACRIFICE YOURSELVES. Also suddenly he has the power to see the future which I don't remember any of the characters in AG having the ability to do so? Maybe I'm just remembering, because that ability in anything always seems broken OP and creates plot holes about why they didn't see something coming. Anyhow, I hope when Anansi becomes more prominent in the show he's closer to the book.
Uh, you may have totally missed the point of that scene
Mr. Nancy is tricking them into sacrificing themselves for him, it's perfectly in character and fits the whole narrative arc
[close]

Also you guys are nuts, ep. 4 is near perfect, and did Bebpo call the sex scene in ep. 3 zzz?
vin

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #13353 on: June 02, 2017, 05:58:23 PM »
Orange is the New Black is back soon! Feels like it's been fucking forever.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #13354 on: June 03, 2017, 02:10:36 AM »
How to celebrate The Wire's 15th anniversary according to Kenneth Williams:
http://www.avclub.com/article/michael-kenneth-williams-tells-you-how-celebrate-w-251790

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #13355 on: June 03, 2017, 08:07:50 PM »
Better Call Saul>breaking bad

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #13356 on: June 04, 2017, 12:27:01 AM »
Tried to get my wife to watch The Expanse, so I could go over it again before buying s2.

She wasn't into it.

Time to get a new wife.

Bebpo

« Reply #13357 on: June 05, 2017, 12:28:11 AM »
Emily Browning's quickly become the best part of American Gods. Having a morally grey strong female character is just so refreshing and pretty hot.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 12:33:57 AM by Bebpo »

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #13358 on: June 05, 2017, 12:40:03 AM »
a bunch of b-grade sci fi are starting/starting up again soon. Things like:

- Dark Matter
- Killjoys
- Wynonna Earp (yuck)
- Orphan Black
- The Mist
- Salvation

Also Preacher and stuff like Blood Drive, Midnight, Texas coming up.

So yeah apart from Game of Thrones no real AAA stuff but I kinda like the off season B series stuff from the good to the hilariously bad.

Also this could be legit good.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #13359 on: June 05, 2017, 01:36:30 AM »
wynonna earp show is so bad and cheap even by syfy standards...but its a syfy show im def. about to watch all of it
still surprised they cancelled incorporated and renewed it

:doge

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #13360 on: June 05, 2017, 01:53:59 AM »
Wynonna earp feels like trying to do Supernatural on 1/20 the budget with 1/10th the acting ability when Supernatural already is running low on both :lol

etiolate

« Reply #13361 on: June 05, 2017, 02:29:53 AM »
Silicon Valley has been meh enough this season that I think there will be another talent exit before the next season.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #13363 on: June 07, 2017, 08:53:28 PM »

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #13364 on: June 10, 2017, 02:01:18 PM »

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #13365 on: June 14, 2017, 10:07:03 AM »
Watching the Idolmaster Korea (Live Action) pretty edgy first episode.

:larry

They are really trying hard to sell this as an idol show, because there are always random cheering fans that run by holding signs walking past all the nobody/up and coming idols when they are on the phone with their judgmental parents/friends or just sitting around moping in public.  :lol
[close]
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 10:26:51 AM by D3RANG3D »

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #13366 on: June 14, 2017, 10:25:12 PM »

:gladbron

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #13367 on: June 15, 2017, 09:41:07 PM »

etiolate

« Reply #13368 on: June 15, 2017, 10:58:56 PM »
nope

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #13369 on: June 16, 2017, 12:41:22 AM »
Newest season of Orange is the New Black is so shitty. Even worse than 3 and 4. To think there will be 3 more seasons, and I'll probably watch them all. smh

Stoney Mason

« Reply #13370 on: June 16, 2017, 02:02:17 PM »
Newest season of Orange is the New Black is so shitty. Even worse than 3 and 4. To think there will be 3 more seasons, and I'll probably watch them all. smh

I remember watching the first season and thinking this is fine and all but they are running out of material already.

I never continued on with the show. Eventually I'll come back mainly out of curiosity to see how they could stretch for this long.

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #13371 on: June 16, 2017, 02:16:02 PM »

I remember watching the first season and thinking this is fine and all but they are running out of material already.

I never continued on with the show. Eventually I'll come back mainly out of curiosity to see how they could stretch for this long.
If the first season didn't do it for you, the rest definitely won't. Season 1 was the best. Season 2 was good too, and I did actually enjoy all seasons, but I acknowledge that objectively they've taken it too far already. Also the last one sucked dicks. They just keep getting worse. But it's not a terrible TV show, it's just that it should have ended a lot sooner since they can't seem to make it better. Last season felt very dragged out.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #13372 on: June 16, 2017, 02:25:14 PM »
I liked the first season well enough. I just didn't think it was a premise that would stretch itself for this long. Especially considering the real life person only served like a year or something.

I know that is a complete jumping off point. This isn't supposed to be realistic. And it is a tv show where the bottom line is to make money. I'm just skeptical of how many new storylines you could generate in this setting. But like I said, I've only seen the first season.

etiolate

« Reply #13373 on: June 16, 2017, 04:41:32 PM »
Started watching Fortitude on Amazon. I'm a handful of episodes in and I'm not sure which type of show I am getting.

The camera shots, vibe, location and characters are all along the line of a Scandanavian crime drama. However, I feel like something supernatural could pup in as an explanation or something very mundane as well.

I am pretty sure my affinity for stark and vast Noridc or Siberian landscapes in film says something unflattering about me.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #13374 on: June 19, 2017, 10:54:07 AM »
So American Gods is done, I'm left saddened by how my excitement for this show resulted in nothing but a garbage fire.  Star Trek: Discovery already looked like spoiled milk to me but with this added experience i'm now fully expecting to hate it. Then again he did make stuff like Dead like me and Hannibal I absolutely adored. :/

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #13375 on: June 19, 2017, 11:23:27 AM »
I thought it was good. Biggest problem is it was like a whole season of lay up/building.

Tasty

« Reply #13376 on: June 19, 2017, 12:43:51 PM »
Also Fuller left Discovery, so if it's a trash fire it's probably for a different reason.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #13377 on: June 19, 2017, 12:45:01 PM »
Also Fuller left Discovery, so if it's a trash fire it's probably for a different reason.

it's gonna be a trash fire because it's a wack ass prequel

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #13378 on: June 19, 2017, 02:30:22 PM »
I don't have high expectations for Discovery, but if they're doing what they're saying and sticking to the framework Fuller laid down I think there's a chance it won't be too awful. Then again, after what ya'll are saying about American Gods, maybe that won't matter anyway :/

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #13379 on: June 19, 2017, 02:36:05 PM »
I doubt discovery is gonna have the same problem of taking an entire season to build a world's mythology.