Author Topic: NPD DAY!!!  (Read 28202 times)

duckman2000

• A lot of shit pisses me off
Re: NPD DAY!!!
« Reply #120 on: December 11, 2008, 07:03:45 PM »
The sooner Sony quits, the sooner we can get GT with good online, Naughty Dog games with even more amazing graphics, and Hot Shots Golf with AA.

If there was no PS3, X360 would be selling over a million and would be sure bet for anyone who makes real games to put their titles on.

If Sony quit, you'd see jack shit worth of stuff from ND (let alone something like LBP, who the fuck would bankroll that?), at least of the sort that you seem to want. Sony becoming a developer/publisher, that could be interesting. Sony quitting out altogether would suck shit.

siamesedreamer

« Reply #121 on: December 11, 2008, 07:03:59 PM »
Maybe Sony can come out with a 320 GB PS3 with no PS1 BC either that will really help sales

:lol

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #122 on: December 11, 2008, 07:05:20 PM »
Wow, the PS3 actually managed to do worse than last November.

Impressive.

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #123 on: December 11, 2008, 07:05:36 PM »
The obvious answer for Sony is to raise the price.

"You will work more."

spoiler (click to show/hide)
"Assuming you still have a job."
[close]

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #124 on: December 11, 2008, 07:06:39 PM »

you seem oddly angry about all of this.

nah, don't misunderstand. I don't care about the systems selling this many or that. It's the people who seem to think in this vacuum. I've always said these console wars stuff works in cycles. One company is up while the others are down then another takes its place. I just get irritated when people think that consoles selling badly should = the company dropping out.

nat

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #125 on: December 11, 2008, 07:07:03 PM »
PlayStation 3's sales are absolutely embarrassing.  Expect a lot of "retirements" from middle and senior Sony executives that dealt with the PlayStation 3 in the next few months.
🍆🍆

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #126 on: December 11, 2008, 07:07:35 PM »

also COD5 X360 outsells PS3 almost 3:1 :lol
itm

WrikaWrek

• Let your soul glow
« Reply #127 on: December 11, 2008, 07:08:41 PM »
Damn, came back late!  :maf

Holy shit at Ps3. Massive bomba.

Guybrush Threepwood

• Upskirt Connoisseur
« Reply #128 on: December 11, 2008, 07:09:01 PM »
How does PS3 go up 80 million units in 4 years?  :lol
ಠ_ಠ

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #129 on: December 11, 2008, 07:09:10 PM »
Does anyone know what PS2 tended to sell in November? I wonder just how badly it shamed 360.

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #130 on: December 11, 2008, 07:09:19 PM »
NPD's Anita Frazier is at least trying to help out our friends at Sony.

"All three of the newer generation console systems have something to brag about. The expanded supply of Wii systems at retail was clearly evident in the sales figures this month. The 360 realized a nice unit sales bump over last November and the PS3 year-to-date unit sales growth is impressive. It's clear there can be more multiple victors this generation and while price is certainly a strong factor, particularly as the current economic situation continues to prevail, the most important factor that will drive success in 2009 will be the line-up of compelling games that will keep consumers involved in the industry."

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #131 on: December 11, 2008, 07:09:48 PM »
my best friend, who used to be a big pc gamer as well as owning a ps2 and xbox, just bought a wii for his two daughters for christmas

he also jumped on that 360 glitch amazon had

he never even considered a ps3 because of the price - as he put it, even if he'd paid the full $199 price for a 360 arcade along with the wii, it still would have only been $50 more than buying a ps3 alone

they will never get people like him at $400, not ever
sup

WrikaWrek

• Let your soul glow
« Reply #132 on: December 11, 2008, 07:10:24 PM »
What the FUCK ASOCFASVB LĒKANSVBĒK AĒDVNĒLASDMNV

The Wii crossed 2 million!?  :ninja

Oblivion

« Reply #133 on: December 11, 2008, 07:10:41 PM »
Does anyone know what PS2 tended to sell in November? I wonder just how badly it shamed 360.

The highest console sales in a month is Dec 2002 when the PS2 sold 2.7 million.
The highest November sales were PS2's Nov 2002 total of 1.3 million.

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #134 on: December 11, 2008, 07:10:52 PM »

This is 2001-2004.

Code: [Select]
Period             PS2             Xbox              GameCube
2001 / 11             919131             722177             662560
2002 / 11             1318000            468000             468000
2003 / 11             849000             490000             754000
2004 / 11             695876             708097             350155
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 07:12:25 PM by Bocsius »

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #135 on: December 11, 2008, 07:12:15 PM »
The high price of the PS3 is killing it.  Nobody can justify paying out the ass for this system.  If Wii or 360 launched at $600, they would be in the same position.  Sony just arrogantly assumed that because it had the name "PlayStation," people were going to buy it in droves.

Sad thing now is that several thousand Sony employees are getting the axe for this arrogance/stupidity.
🍆🍆

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #136 on: December 11, 2008, 07:12:28 PM »
Fucking wow at PS2 vs Wii

And PS2 vs 360 looks way better than I thought it would.

WrikaWrek

• Let your soul glow
« Reply #137 on: December 11, 2008, 07:12:45 PM »
And Little Big Bomba.

And lol at Resistance 2. Isn't that like, what Too Human did in its first month?

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #138 on: December 11, 2008, 07:12:53 PM »
Sony should have copied Microsoft and packed in something with the standard PS3. Even if it was just Motorstorm or Resistance 1 or something.
©@©™

Guybrush Threepwood

• Upskirt Connoisseur
« Reply #139 on: December 11, 2008, 07:13:37 PM »
Sony should have copied Microsoft and packed in something with the standard PS3. Even if it was just Motorstorm or Resistance 1 or something.

A 160 GB hard drive isn't good enough for you?
ಠ_ಠ

WrikaWrek

• Let your soul glow
« Reply #140 on: December 11, 2008, 07:13:42 PM »
Fucking wow at PS2 vs Wii

And PS2 vs 360 looks way better than I thought it would.

You mean Ps3 vs 360?

And way better in what sense?

I mean, i think it would be ridiculous to expect lower from Ps3...

Edit: Nevermind, i'm dumb

Oblivion

« Reply #141 on: December 11, 2008, 07:14:11 PM »
So much for the LittleBigPlanet that could(n't).  :'(

hyp

• Casual Gamer™
« Reply #142 on: December 11, 2008, 07:14:44 PM »
moms love the wii.

pyh

duckman2000

« Reply #143 on: December 11, 2008, 07:14:54 PM »
The high price of the PS3 is killing it.  Nobody can justify paying out the ass for this system.  If Wii or 360 launched at $600, they would be in the same position.  Sony just arrogantly assumed that because it had the name "PlayStation," people were going to buy it in droves.

Sad thing now is that several thousand Sony employees are getting the axe for this arrogance/stupidity.

The damage could have been lesser had there at least been a genuine must have launch title. You don't launch a shit expensive system with generally mediocre back-out, you just don't. Not that I think Sony really wanted to release it when they did, but I wonder how much worse they would have really been off had they waited another year and launched with more, better games and at a better price point.

Jansen

« Reply #144 on: December 11, 2008, 07:15:05 PM »
And Little Big Bomba.

And lol at Resistance 2. Isn't that like, what Too Human did in its first month?

pretty sure too human debuted at under 200k (167?)

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
« Reply #145 on: December 11, 2008, 07:15:29 PM »
PS3 has to at least make it to Killzone 2. Hopefully there is a price cut at the beginning of the year. I was hoping that Sony would suffer this generation for their awful strategy and shitty hardware, but I want them to do better than this.
jon

cool breeze

« Reply #146 on: December 11, 2008, 07:15:39 PM »
new plan should be put into effect:

-PS3 gets the axe
-Sony joins with Microsoft
-Sony provides software for 360, Micosoft provides software for PSP(2)
-Still sell less than the Wii

Really though, this is a depressing npd month.  Even distinguished mentally-challenged fellow Nintendo fans will come around and understand that this is a bad thing.  2.04 million consoles sold and the top selling 'games' for the platform are Wii Play and Wii Fit (runner ups being Mario Kart, Guitar Hero World Tour, and Wii Music) -- what person who has enjoyed video games at one point in the past is happy about this? you're system is selling a lot, but the software it moves is crud.  This sucks.  Don't know how the sales go in Europe, but both America and Japan are homo for Wii (and ds, or really anything Nintendo).

It is a shame that LBP bombed too, same with Banjo.  The worst is how distinguished mentally-challenged fellow Nintendo fans are the happiest about LBP bombing.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 07:17:24 PM by swaggaz »

y2kev

• *your name here* annihilated...
« Reply #147 on: December 11, 2008, 07:15:46 PM »
And Little Big Bomba.

:lol no. Too Human is probably just over half that in the US LTD. LBP could be right under Wii Music. You can't get a real picture of things with only the top 10. TH first month was 150kish, managed to crawl over 200 the next month.

It's not a smashing success, but it's not a bomb. Unless it really is like <100k for this month, then it is pretty sad.

Unless you believe all the GH skus bombed cause they aren't listed...
haw

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #148 on: December 11, 2008, 07:15:52 PM »
The damage could have been lesser had there at least been a genuine must have launch title. You don't launch an expensive system with generally mediocre back-out, you just don't. Not that I think Sony really wanted to release it when they did, but I wonder how much worse they would have really been off had they waited another year and launched with more, better games and at a better price point.

There are no must have titles on a $600 machine.

Or $400.

siamesedreamer

« Reply #149 on: December 11, 2008, 07:15:59 PM »
How did Gears 2 do compared to Gears 1?

y2kev

« Reply #150 on: December 11, 2008, 07:16:47 PM »
How did Gears 2 do compared to Gears 1?
56% increase.
haw

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #151 on: December 11, 2008, 07:17:18 PM »
Hey man, 360 is now attaining PS2 numbers, and with a higher attach rate. Even with Wii continuing to skyrocket, 360 should be able to keep real gaming alive.

Kestastrophe

« Reply #152 on: December 11, 2008, 07:17:42 PM »
Any memorably GAF quotes yet?
jon

siamesedreamer

« Reply #153 on: December 11, 2008, 07:18:46 PM »
500,000 more, sd

Damn...that's pretty good.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #154 on: December 11, 2008, 07:19:00 PM »
i expect a fuckton of pack-ins on ps3 after the holidays, i'm talking multiple games + blu rays
sup

duckman2000

« Reply #155 on: December 11, 2008, 07:19:53 PM »
PS3 has to at least make it to Killzone 2. Hopefully there is a price cut at the beginning of the year. I was hoping that Sony would suffer this generation for their awful strategy and shitty hardware, but I want them to do better than this.

I want them to do good because I want to see a reliable, all-inclusive system next generation, and I like their attitude towards first party development. But they have really screwed themselves over. I'd like to see them cooperate with MS, and retain strong software development while still having that all-important CE pillar.

cool breeze

« Reply #156 on: December 11, 2008, 07:20:27 PM »
TDK + Motorstorm PR bundle for what price it still won't sell at

WrikaWrek

• Let your soul glow
« Reply #157 on: December 11, 2008, 07:20:34 PM »
And Little Big Bomba.

:lol no. Too Human is probably just over half that in the US LTD. LBP could be right under Wii Music. You can't get a real picture of things with only the top 10. TH first month was 150kish, managed to crawl over 200 the next month.

It's not a smashing success, but it's not a bomb. Unless it really is like <100k for this month, then it is pretty sad.

What?

Everyone was "Wait for next month, only a handful of days for LBP". And let's not forget how much hype there was behind it, how it was built to be a smash hit, how Sony was relying on it to breath life into the PS3 and into 1st party sales....

Yes, in relation to what it was expected to do, it is Little big Bomba.

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #158 on: December 11, 2008, 07:21:21 PM »
Lich King did 1.4mill too.

this could be the month that gets sony + ms in bed together :-*
itm

y2kev

« Reply #159 on: December 11, 2008, 07:22:10 PM »
And Little Big Bomba.

What?

Everyone was "Wait for next month, only a handful of days for LBP". And let's not forget how much hype there was behind it, how it was built to be a smash hit, how Sony was relying on it to breath life into the PS3 and into 1st party sales....

Your mistake is that you are citing distinguished mentally-challenged Gaffers outside of Gaf. Who are you talking to, a tard or someone else?

You have no idea what Sony expected. They said it would be their big game for the year. Lo and behold, it's probably their best selling title so far. You have some idea of what fanboys expected it to sell. Wow, what a valuable metric.

haw

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #160 on: December 11, 2008, 07:22:15 PM »
Something seems up with these numbers. Sony has put out so many amazing games this year, plus their new bundles continue to bring consumers the best value in a console. I suspect that Microsoft either greased the wheels at NPD to give out numbers more favoring to themselves, or they're buying their own products to boost their otherwise lack luster sales.

50% on the Xboxes currently on the market are getting RROD's every other month, there is no way that consumers are buying more Xbox 360's and more Xbox 360 games then on the PlayStation 3. Sony just announced that Motorstorm sold over a million copies, there's no way it couldn't appear on NPD unless there was tampering involved.

You all may be blind to the truth now, but as games like Killzone 2, White Knight Story and Uncharted 2 great release there will be no way the Xbox 360 will outsell them next year. And if they do, you can expect the public to stand up and question these "accurate" numbers.

:omg I finally see the truth.  :omg
©@©™

hyp

• Casual Gamer™
« Reply #161 on: December 11, 2008, 07:23:17 PM »
nothing fishy about it green man.  the ps3 is $399.  THREE FUCKING NINETY NINE
pyh

duckman2000

« Reply #162 on: December 11, 2008, 07:23:47 PM »
What?

Oh, the expectations argument again. Numbers derived from the analysis of what the looniest of fanboys had "expected" (read: were hoping for), because the opinions of the wildest Sony fanboys apparently carry such weight.  :duh

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #163 on: December 11, 2008, 07:23:58 PM »
resistance + warhawk or motorstorm bundle (so they can try to sell the sequels and map packs)

lbp + psEye bundle

throw some blu rays in either bundle

won't help, but at least anyone already planning on buying a ps3 would benefit a little
sup

Kestastrophe

« Reply #164 on: December 11, 2008, 07:24:23 PM »

I want them to do good because I want to see a reliable, all-inclusive system next generation, and I like their attitude towards first party development. But they have really screwed themselves over. I'd like to see them cooperate with MS, and retain strong software development while still having that all-important CE pillar.
I really wanted to see them get penalized for the bullshit E3 2005 and for their ridiculously complicated hardware. They are obviously ace in the quality department, but I think the value of Blu-Ray is marginal. I do like how they cultivate first party development, but I don't think that the games are showing it right now.
jon

Kestastrophe

« Reply #165 on: December 11, 2008, 07:26:57 PM »
Keep drinking Microsoft's Kool-Aid, you dirty lemming.

That's what xbox fanboys are called on gamefaqs
jon

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #166 on: December 11, 2008, 07:26:58 PM »
I liked Sony's first party efforts on PS2, but they are boring the shit out of me on PS3.

duckman2000

« Reply #167 on: December 11, 2008, 07:27:02 PM »
I like that they included Blu-Ray. I also like the integrated wireless, the standard HDD and hell, I even appreciate the card readers. But just like the all-inclusive and more is more strategy failed to get people onboard the Xbox train last generation, it wasn't going to win anything for Sony this generation. Bummer, but that's the way shit is.

WrikaWrek

• Let your soul glow
« Reply #168 on: December 11, 2008, 07:27:06 PM »
And Little Big Bomba.

What?

Your mistake is that you are citing distinguished mentally-challenged Gaffers outside of Gaf. Who are you talking to, a tard or someone else?

You have no idea what Sony expected. They said it would be their big game for the year. Lo and behold, it's probably their best selling title so far. You have some idea of what fanboys expected it to sell. Wow, what a valuable metric.

Gaffers?

Gaffers? Who's talking about gaffers? I'm talking about gaming journos, i'm talking about E3 Hype, i'm talking about Sony using LBP as the tip of the sword for this year, talking about hardcore gamers allover.

Seriously man, why is it that every "defense" argument by some around here is basically "that was only on Gaf", who's talking about Gaf? I only bring gaf up in the outside link thread, i hate it when arguments in this side of town resolve around what the reality is at gaf, who gives a fuck.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #169 on: December 11, 2008, 07:28:01 PM »
we have guests coming over, maybe we should mop up the floor and straighten up the place a little
sup

« Reply #170 on: December 11, 2008, 07:28:18 PM »
Something seems up with these numbers. Sony has put out so many amazing games this year, plus their new bundles continue to bring consumers the best value in a console. I suspect that Microsoft either greased the wheels at NPD to give out numbers more favoring to themselves, or they're buying their own products to boost their otherwise lack luster sales.

50% on the Xboxes currently on the market are getting RROD's every other month, there is no way that consumers are buying more Xbox 360's and more Xbox 360 games then on the PlayStation 3. Sony just announced that Motorstorm sold over a million copies, there's no way it couldn't appear on NPD unless there was tampering involved.

You all may be blind to the truth now, but as games like Killzone 2, White Knight Story and Uncharted 2 great release there will be no way the Xbox 360 will outsell them next year. And if they do, you can expect the public to stand up and question these "accurate" numbers.

:rofl

odb

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #171 on: December 11, 2008, 07:29:56 PM »
i'll say this for sony, their customer relations are superb

microsoft never sends me shit, but sony used to send me stuff all the time

used to  :lol
sup

duckman2000

« Reply #172 on: December 11, 2008, 07:29:57 PM »
Seriously man, why is it that every "defense" argument by some around here is basically "that was only on Gaf", who's talking about Gaf? I only bring gaf up in the outside link thread, i hate it when arguments in this side of town resolve around what the reality is at gaf, who gives a fuck.

Would you stop yapping about GAF already?

y2kev

« Reply #173 on: December 11, 2008, 07:30:13 PM »
And Little Big Bomba.

What?

Gaffers?

Gaffers? Who's talking about gaffers? I'm talking about gaming journos, i'm talking about E3 Hype, i'm talking about Sony using LBP as the tip of the sword for this year, talking about hardcore gamers allover.

None of your citations have quantities attached. It WAS sony's tip of the spear-- it's their best selling game (most likely) globally. Have you just considered that their spear is bad, dude? Look at the entire lineup. It's bomba bomba bomba.

You're trying to put forth "hype" and "gaming journos" as some metric that we can discuss with #s (that we don't know, btw).

What do you want to get out of this discussion?
haw

WrikaWrek

• Let your soul glow
« Reply #174 on: December 11, 2008, 07:31:24 PM »
What?

Oh, the expectations argument again. Numbers derived from the analysis of what the looniest of fanboys had "expected" (read: were hoping for), because the opinions of the wildest Sony fanboys apparently carry such weight.  :duh

"Made up expectactions by sony fanboys"

Yes guys, i'm sure all Sony was hoping for their Biggest Killer app this holiday season was a 300k and change in the 1st month, and for it to be out of the top 10 on NPD in month two.

I mean, i'm sure EA is fucking wildly and insanely happy about Dead Space and Mirrors Edge, so imagine how Sony feels about a higher profile game, i'm sure they are just going bonkers over LBP numbers. And R2 too i'm sure.

Would you stop yapping about GAF already?

Oh that's so cheap. So he throws it in my face, and i'm supposed to not say anything? Whatever duck.

None of your citations have quantities attached. It WAS sony's tip of the spear-- it's their best selling game (most likely) globally. Have you just considered that their spear is bad, dude? Look at the entire lineup. It's bomba bomba bomba.

You're trying to put forth "hype" and "gaming journos" as some metric that we can discuss with #s (that we don't know, btw).

What do you want to get out of this discussion?

What do i want to get out? I didn't even start a discussion. You did.

You might argue all you want that we don't know how much Sony wanted it to sell, but if you use that bullshit argument, then everything is a success and everything is a dud, because nothing can be quantifiable outside of a general analysis of events prior to the game's release.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 07:34:43 PM by WrikaWrek »

Tabasco

« Reply #175 on: December 11, 2008, 07:31:53 PM »
Oops.  I think I bet kev a coke that R2 would never see an NPD top 10.  That's it for PS3.  Less than 400k in a holiday month is horrible.  And CoD5 selling nearly what Gears did on 360

Bobby Kotick > John Riccitello

y2kev

« Reply #176 on: December 11, 2008, 07:33:06 PM »
Oops.  I think I bet kev a coke that R2 would never see an NPD top 10.  That's it for PS3.  Less than 400k in a holiday month is horrible.  And CoD5 selling nearly what Gears did on 360

Bobby Kotick > John Riccitello
I'll take a dr. pepper :D

Clearly wrika since Mirror's Edge, Far Cry 2, Fallout, and Banjo aren't on the top 10 THEY ARE ALL BOMBS
haw

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #177 on: December 11, 2008, 07:33:23 PM »
i have really liked the fall sony lineup - lbp, resistance 2 (i know i am in the minority here), and i want to check out motorstorm 2 at some point

also getting interested in kz2

so yeah, it's all system price, because they've had a solid rack of games this fall
sup

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #178 on: December 11, 2008, 07:34:33 PM »
Well, Banjo probably is.
©@©™

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #179 on: December 11, 2008, 07:34:45 PM »
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13966412&postcount=465

I don't understand how you can post on a gaming forum and be so misinformed about the basics.