Author Topic: Evilbore's Presidential Election Thread --Its the Final COUNTDOWN Ba da ba baaaa  (Read 465063 times)

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
Dude, some spokesperson for McCain claimed he created the BlackBerry today. 
He meant that he planted the first blackberry bush.

Re: Evilbore's Presidential Election Thread --Its the Final COUNTDOWN Ba da ba b
« Reply #901 on: September 16, 2008, 01:57:20 PM »
her flight layover in Ireland constituting as foreign policy experience

Really?  :lol
野球

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
Johnny Blackberry Seed
o_0

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
He added, though, that McCain — who has struggled to stress his economic credentials this cycle — did have experience dealing with the economy, pointing to his time on the Senate Commerce Committee. Pressed to provide an example of what McCain had accomplished on that committee, Holtz-Eakin said the senator did not have jurisdiction over financial markets — then held up his Blackberry, telling reporters: “He did this.”
PSP

Re: Evilbore's Presidential Election Thread --Its the Final COUNTDOWN Ba da ba b
« Reply #904 on: September 16, 2008, 01:58:22 PM »
I was in class all morning; I can't believe this thread has moved so fast. Has FoC created more joke characters?

I can think of a couple of local examples where small businesses raised prices on their products the day it was raised, one even posted a sign about it (which is bad considering prices have increased due to gas prices anyway.) 

This assumes that the merchant is being honest, and not using this as a convenient opportunity to raise prices.

I guess my question is how much have we helped someone when we throw them a dollar more, but the business in turn raises prices on certain products say 20%, and how did that help the middle class making things 20% more expensive for them? 

Such large increases in prices could not result from such small increases in salaries for such a small part of the economy. I think less than 2% of workers make the federal minimum wage or less. And their wages account for far less than 1% of the costs of all goods and services in America. So how would an increase in their wages lead to things being 20% more expensive for the middle class.

For example, if you doubled farm laborers' salaries, you would increase the price of lettuce by only six percent. Now this is a good which requires many low wage earners. Other good, like cars, which require few low wage earners, would not be affected at all.

Don't pull numbers from your ass.
Dude it's a fucking example I'm in a chair i'm not currently comparing receipts.  And you're also assuming you know every product I'm referring too.  But I pulled part of that example out of my wallet if you must know. :'(
+1

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #905 on: September 16, 2008, 01:58:43 PM »
He added, though, that McCain — who has struggled to stress his economic credentials this cycle — did have experience dealing with the economy, pointing to his time on the Senate Commerce Committee. Pressed to provide an example of what McCain had accomplished on that committee, Holtz-Eakin said the senator did not have jurisdiction over financial markets — then held up his Blackberry, telling reporters: “He did this.”

He did that? He's the best mayne

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier

Wait one second.  For it is, I, that created the BlackBerry.  For my personal Internets.
PSP

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
ask mccain what he was doin' in the 80s during the s&l bailout, and then ask him about the current wall street crisis and if he's learned a single fucking thing
duc

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
pόp

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #909 on: September 16, 2008, 02:02:23 PM »
[youtube=425,350]tKKxPtP6XjQ[/youtube]

NEVER FORGET

« Reply #910 on: September 16, 2008, 02:02:49 PM »
How would you guys feel about taxing the FUCK out of all companies that move jobs overseas?
I can support this and give the tax cuts to the companies that leave the jobs here. :american
+1

Flannel Boy

• Icon
I was in class all morning; I can't believe this thread has moved so fast. Has FoC created more joke characters?

I can think of a couple of local examples where small businesses raised prices on their products the day it was raised, one even posted a sign about it (which is bad considering prices have increased due to gas prices anyway.) 

This assumes that the merchant is being honest, and not using this as a convenient opportunity to raise prices.

I guess my question is how much have we helped someone when we throw them a dollar more, but the business in turn raises prices on certain products say 20%, and how did that help the middle class making things 20% more expensive for them? 

Such large increases in prices could not result from such small increases in salaries for such a small part of the economy. I think less than 2% of workers make the federal minimum wage or less. And their wages account for far less than 1% of the costs of all goods and services in America. So how would an increase in their wages lead to things being 20% more expensive for the middle class.

For example, if you doubled farm laborers' salaries, you would increase the price of lettuce by only six percent. Now this is a good which requires many low wage earners. Other good, like cars, which require few low wage earners, would not be affected at all.

Dude it's a fucking example I'm in a chair i'm not currently comparing receipts.  And you're also assuming you know every product I'm referring too.  But I pulled part of that example out of my wallet if you must know. :'(

A comparisons of receipts would be meaningless unless you know what percentage of the cost of those good went to American workers who made the minimum wage.

Look, a 35% increase in the wages of farm laborers would raise the price of lettuce by 2%.So please tell me what goods increased by 20% as a result of a much smaller minimum wage increase?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 02:05:04 PM by Malek »

MrAngryFace

o_0

« Reply #913 on: September 16, 2008, 02:06:17 PM »

A comparisons of receipts would be meaningless unless you know what percentage of the cost of those good went to American worker's who made the minimum wage.

Look, a 35% increase in the wages of farm laborers would raise the price of lettuce by 2%.So please tell me what goods increased by 20% as a result of a much smaller minimum wage increase?

Ah yeah as I said it was an example and I'd need to know the % due to gas too.  I think I even mentioned in my post in between the you know () the gas thing.  So you don't think any prices were raised due to wage increase?  Or worker hours cut?  Or layoffs? 
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 02:09:32 PM by ShogunOfFear »
+1

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #914 on: September 16, 2008, 02:09:48 PM »

A comparisons of receipts would be meaningless unless you know what percentage of the cost of those good went to American worker's who made the minimum wage.

Look, a 35% increase in the wages of farm laborers would raise the price of lettuce by 2%.So please tell me what goods increased by 20% as a result of a much smaller minimum wage increase?

Ah yeah as I said it was an example and I'd need to know the % due to gas too.  So you don't think any prices were raised due to wage increase? 

America needs to spend more money on literacy.

I'm skeptical that prices (for anything) rose by 20% because of a minimum wage increase. Based on the numbers I provided, the overall increase in the price of goods and services as a result of an increase in the minimum wage had to be below 1%.

« Reply #915 on: September 16, 2008, 02:12:07 PM »

Ah yeah as I said it was an example and I'd need to know the % due to gas too.  So you don't think any prices were raised due to wage increase? 

America needs to spend more money on literacy.

I'm skeptical that prices (for anything) rose by 20% because of a minimum wage increase. Based on the numbers I provided, the overall increase in the price of goods and services as a result of an increase in the minimum wage had to be below 1%.

And context too it seems.    ::)
+1

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #916 on: September 16, 2008, 02:17:50 PM »
And context too it seems.    ::)
Why is context important?
"So you don't think any prices were raised due to wage increase?"

You rhetorically asked me if any prices increased because of wage increases. This was a stupid question because I never argued that wage increases never led to price increases. I was arguing about how high the increase could possibly be as a result of a specific increase on a small segment of the workforce.

siamesedreamer

« Reply #918 on: September 16, 2008, 02:23:31 PM »
Ok but I don't think I said that was a national number either dude, just saying.   :P
+1

MrAngryFace

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/16/moveon-ad-uses-my-friends_n_126797.html

"Hope and Change"
"Post-partisan candidate"
"We are the ones we've been waiting for"
etc

Since he was a community organizer I am more inclined to believe his words, than mr no lobbyists but my best friends are lobbyists.
o_0

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #920 on: September 16, 2008, 02:32:42 PM »
Ok but I don't think I said that was a national number either dude, just saying.   :P
Unless your state significantly differs from others states in some important respect, I don't think it really matters. We can always narrow things down, but the broader point still stands: a small increase in wages for a small segment of the population will not lead to large increases (like 20%) in the prices of goods and services.

« Reply #921 on: September 16, 2008, 02:40:45 PM »
Yeah I know the number itself was an example, I guess I could have used x, y, or z.  The real point of my post was that it hurt the middle class a little that didn't get an increase.  It sucks not getting a raise.   :-\
+1

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #922 on: September 16, 2008, 02:44:42 PM »
Yeah I know the number itself was an example, I guess I could have used x, y, or z.  The real point of my post was that it hurt the middle class a little that didn't get an increase. 

My point is that the middle class wouldn't notice it.

It sucks not getting a raise.   :-\

Yes, it sucks for low wage earners whose wages have stagnated or gone down over the last couple decades.

« Reply #923 on: September 16, 2008, 02:48:13 PM »
Yeah I know the number itself was an example, I guess I could have used x, y, or z.  The real point of my post was that it hurt the middle class a little that didn't get an increase. 

Yes, it sucks for low wage earners whose wages have stagnated or gone down over the last couple decades.

I notice everything that goes up myself, for me everything adds up even when the small things I purchase daily increase I notice.  Maybe its just me eh?
+1

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #924 on: September 16, 2008, 02:57:10 PM »

I notice everything that goes up myself, for me everything adds up even when the small things I purchase daily increase I notice.  Maybe its just me eh?

So, for example, you would notice a ten percent increase in the wages of 2% of the population whose wages contribute less than 1% of the total cost of goods and services? We're talking about penny increase per $10 worth of goods and services, on average, if my estimation is correct. You'd honestly notice that. I just spent $10,000 on tuition, books, rent, etc.; I'm not going to care about the penny.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 02:59:10 PM by Malek »

« Reply #925 on: September 16, 2008, 02:59:35 PM »
I take care of every penny I have in this economy.   :D  Bills and debt =  :'(
In the future that may change but for now gotta be mega frugal.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 03:01:07 PM by ShogunOfFear »
+1

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #926 on: September 16, 2008, 03:01:25 PM »
Those two votes I disagree with. Parents should know if little Suzie is knocked up and trying to get out of it.

I would like to submit this entry for Most Inadvertently Revealing Statement by a Conservative for the month of September.

so what am I inadvertantly revealing here? I'd like to know, lol.

Edit nm.

The worldview that's informed the rest of your posts in this thread.

You want people to be punished for doing stuff you consider immoral.  That's why you described an abortion as "trying to get out of" an obligation, and why you think there needs to be "reprisal" for teens who have sex.

I figure this would explain your take on the drug war, health insurance, and the welfare state in general.

Ganhyun

• Used to worship Muckhole. Now worships Robo.
« Reply #927 on: September 16, 2008, 03:25:00 PM »
Those two votes I disagree with. Parents should know if little Suzie is knocked up and trying to get out of it.

I would like to submit this entry for Most Inadvertently Revealing Statement by a Conservative for the month of September.

so what am I inadvertantly revealing here? I'd like to know, lol.

Edit nm.

The worldview that's informed the rest of your posts in this thread.

You want people to be punished for doing stuff you consider immoral.  That's why you described an abortion as "trying to get out of" an obligation, and why you think there needs to be "reprisal" for teens who have sex.

I figure this would explain your take on the drug war, health insurance, and the welfare state in general.

Hmm.. ok..

So two kids mess around, as teens are known to do, and the girl gets pregnant. Her and her bf trying to hide this from her and his parents and getting an abortion without them knowing isnt trying to get out of trouble? (We both know the parents would likely be pissed off). and yes, if a girl and guy willingly engage in unprotected sex, then it is an obligation to take care of the child they made.

The only way I see abortion as allowable, and even then I don't because to me life begins when cells begin to multiply, is if the mother's life is threatened. Rape victims I could go with it being the mother's choice too, but I do honestly wonder how many of these aborted babies could hold the cure for diseases and such in their futures had they been allowed to live.

lol, national healthcare would be like it is at the DMV, wait hours on end no matter what your illness/issue is.

When did I even mention the war on drugs? WTF? Making shit up now?

Welfare: I explained that already. I dislike the leeches as already discussed. People like that hurt genuinely needy people. And not just my grandmother. Others who need it.

P.S. Can I have 10,000 since you don't seem to care about spending that much a pop for stuff. :P
XDF

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
how many non-aborted babies could find the cure for cancer if republicans didn't hold science and government funding for medical science and stem cell research in such contempt, eh?

duc

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
You assume the main reason someone would get an abortion is because they would get in trouble?  smh.

ganhyun is clearly distressed by the idea that TEENS FUCK

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:shh i, as a dirty permissive librul, am aroused by it :hyper
[close]
duc

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #930 on: September 16, 2008, 03:33:12 PM »
instead of sending a terminator, Skynet should have just sent a charismatic black democrat back in time to abort 40mil babies, including John Connor

duckman2000

• A lot of shit pisses me off
how many non-aborted babies could find the cure for cancer if republicans didn't hold science and government funding for medical science and stem cell research in such contempt, eh?

Well, I chuckled. Bitterly.

hyp

• Casual Gamer™
fucking as a teen was fantastic.  :drool
pyh

MrAngryFace

TEENS! DUMB! Why else do you think they wear their pants so low. Expedite the FUCK thats why. Saving seconds required for penetration!
o_0

Oblivion

fucking a teen was fantastic.  :drool

Fixed?

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #935 on: September 16, 2008, 03:36:45 PM »
i'm not digging this new, 60 year old MAF  :-\

hyp

• Casual Gamer™
"shhhh, it's me casper."
pyh

Ganhyun

You assume the main reason someone would get an abortion is because they would get in trouble?  smh.

SMH.

You guys are willfully ignoring my reasoning because you don't like it. Or just dismissing it.

Yes the are other reasons involved. I'm not stupid and think there aren't.

But I think the parent should be involved because even if the teen doesnt want the child, someone else may. There are people who go to adoption agencies with good intentions/reasons for doing so.

As far as stem cell research goes, I believe that if a baby dies of natural causes before birth and they have viable stem cells, then go ahead and use them.

Also, I don't care if teens fuck. But I do believe that they should be aware of and ready to accept the consequences if they do so and don't perform basic sex-ed things such as birth control and and condoms, etc.
XDF

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #938 on: September 16, 2008, 03:37:49 PM »
Edit: Children should know that having sex carries great risks such as pregnancy and STDS/AIDS. Doing it the other way just lets them fuck like rabbits (which yes they will do) with no reprisal except a possible STD/AIDS. Teen Pregnancy? Taking care of a baby you and someone else made? Forget that, just get an abortion. Its the thing to do.

Here's the dead giveaway.

Ganhyun doesn't want the kids to fuck, and he thinks that unwanted pregnancies and venereal diseases are awesome ways of building in disincentives.  If you take those away, they'll be at it like rabbits which we are given to understand is a bad bad thing.

Ganhyun

« Reply #939 on: September 16, 2008, 03:39:37 PM »
Edit: Children should know that having sex carries great risks such as pregnancy and STDS/AIDS. Doing it the other way just lets them fuck like rabbits (which yes they will do) with no reprisal except a possible STD/AIDS. Teen Pregnancy? Taking care of a baby you and someone else made? Forget that, just get an abortion. Its the thing to do.

Here's the dead giveaway.

Ganhyun doesn't want the kids to fuck, and he thinks that unwanted pregnancies and venereal diseases are awesome ways of building in disincentives.  If you take those away, they'll be at it like rabbits which we are given to understand is a bad bad thing.

Gee, if they know the risks and accept them, let them fuck like rabbits. But be prepared to accept the consequences of their actions.

Also, have you heard about the dangerously high rabbit population?  :lol
XDF

« Reply #940 on: September 16, 2008, 03:41:56 PM »
Where is all this dirty sex going on at?  And why did I miss out?
+1

Ganhyun

« Reply #941 on: September 16, 2008, 03:44:13 PM »
Where is all this dirty sex going on at?  And why did I miss out?

Because your too old man.

Nah, actually its just more rampant today.
XDF

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #942 on: September 16, 2008, 03:44:54 PM »
i doubt that.
pcp

Oblivion

Sorry, but I just want to make sure I'm reading this right. You're saying that pregnancy is a good deterrent for teens having sex, otherwise, if there was no consequence, kids would be fucking whenever they want; which you say is a bad thing. But isn't getting pregnant one of the main reasons people don't want kids to be fucking to begin with?

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #944 on: September 16, 2008, 03:49:37 PM »

So how would you explain the low teen pregnancy rate, which was rapidly dropping for awhile (I think it's up now, but what do I know)

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
Pd fails at sarcasm, ouch

A setback for his trolling career, fo sho
duc

Rman

what happened to this thread?  does any sane person believe the gov't is going to able to affect horny teens?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 04:01:16 PM by Rman »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #947 on: September 16, 2008, 03:53:14 PM »
?

if so looks like the beginning of my Post-watching-Clerks 2 internet career is already a disaster

MrAngryFace

This thread moves too fast for bad sarcasm. No time to explain your crap attempt at lulz
o_0

Ganhyun

« Reply #949 on: September 16, 2008, 03:55:04 PM »

So how would you explain the low teen pregnancy rate, which was rapidly dropping for awhile (I think it's up now, but what do I know)

I don't know about michigan, but I know in GA that they teach guys in school that if you get a girl pregnant, your responsible for the child's well-being for 18 years. 18 years of child-support.

Thats one thing the drill into the guys' heads.

Also, they teach progressive use of condoms and birth control, as well as show the risk of STDs/AIDS and such. Basically, any reason to not want to be pregnant is thrown at them down here. But with the notion that if your gonna do it anyway, then go to the Health Department and get birth-control/condoms.

Sorry, but I just want to make sure I'm reading this right. You're saying that pregnancy is a good deterrent for teens having sex, otherwise, if there was no consequence, kids would be fucking whenever they want; which you say is a bad thing. But isn't getting pregnant one of the main reasons people don't want kids to be fucking to begin with?

This was a response to someone saying that they agreed that teen childrens' parents shouldnt have to be notified if the child was getting an abortion.

XDF

« Reply #950 on: September 16, 2008, 03:55:47 PM »
We're just trying to run down 
poligaf
[close]
  lol
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 03:58:14 PM by ShogunOfFear »
+1

Ganhyun

« Reply #951 on: September 16, 2008, 03:56:49 PM »
We're just trying to run down 
polygaf
[close]
  lol

I seriously doubt this thread ever runs down the Poli-Gaf thread.
XDF

« Reply #952 on: September 16, 2008, 03:57:34 PM »

I don't know about michigan, but I know in GA that they teach guys in school that if you get a girl pregnant, your responsible for the child's well-being for 18 years. 18 years of child-support.

Also, they teach progressive use of condoms and birth control, as well as show the risk of STDs/AIDS and such. Basically, any reason to not want to be pregnant is thrown at them down here. But with the notion that if your gonna do it anyway, then go to the Health Department and get birth-control/condoms.

I had abstinence-only education in my health classes in high school, full of lots of scare tactics but nothing about safe-sex practices. I already knew about birth control, etc., but it wasn't taught at all. My hometown also had the highest rate of teen pregnancy in the entire state at that time.
野球

Ganhyun

« Reply #953 on: September 16, 2008, 04:00:36 PM »

I had abstinence-only education in my health classes in high school, full of lots of scare tactics but nothing about safe-sex practices. I already knew about birth control, etc., but it wasn't taught at all. My hometown also had the highest rate of teen pregnancy in the entire state at that time.

I can say that that part is newer to my area of GA as well (within last few years). But I know that where this has been implented the rate has gone down some. But I do still know of areas that are abstinence only.
XDF

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #954 on: September 16, 2008, 04:14:59 PM »
Ganhyun's abuse of your/you're is obviously an attempt to troll me and should be covered in the ToS.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #955 on: September 16, 2008, 04:26:19 PM »
McCain:  "The fundamentals of the economy are still good!"

Obama campaign:  "WTF you craaaaaaaaazy."

McCain:  "When I said fundamentals, I meant American workers and their values.  Obama is insulting average Americans!"

Right now I'm seeing this election as a referendum on a politician's willingness to say crazy shit.  That's the McCain campaign's one big advantage right now.

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #956 on: September 16, 2008, 04:29:12 PM »
McCain:  "The fundamentals of the economy are still good!"

Obama campaign:  "WTF you craaaaaaaaazy."

McCain:  "When I said fundamentals, I meant American workers and their values.  Obama is insulting average Americans!"

Right now I'm seeing this election as a referendum on a politician's willingness to say crazy shit.  That's the McCain campaign's one big advantage right now.

I was just reading that. http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/09/16/mccain-calls-for-commission-to-study-wall-street-woes/?hp

I think I'm going to read Orwell's essay "Politics and the English Language."

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #957 on: September 16, 2008, 04:30:59 PM »
also, it was so obvious McCain was baiting Obama with that quote, given the bad timing. He had said it before (with the same Hoover-esque language) and Obama pounced, causing McCain to change his tone and admit things weren't going great. Clearly he expected a similar Obama response this time and planned on some more faux outrageous/crocodile tearz buying him some media time. Whoops, seems like you've used up your media currency for the week duder

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #958 on: September 16, 2008, 04:32:03 PM »
PD applying Occam's Pretzel.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #959 on: September 16, 2008, 04:34:44 PM »
Occam's Pretzel
- (n): The logical fallacy of attempting to deduce the policy of the Bush administration by assuming that Bush makes the decisions.

ok, may i revise the statement to read "McCain's handlers" instead of "McCain"