Author Topic: International Politics Thread - Disease and Disaster  (Read 1312811 times)

Broseidon

• Estado Homo
Re: It Was All Good Just a Week Ago: International Politics Thread
« Reply #600 on: July 20, 2014, 12:28:09 PM »

Hate this fucking guy. Whenever something flare's up in Palestine he's always on my fucking tv :piss2
bent

huckleberry

« Reply #601 on: July 20, 2014, 12:48:18 PM »
Isn't it generally agreed that the claims of human shields in 2009 conflict were more or less entirely false? Borderline self-parody to be talking about human shields in 2014.

I don't know if it was proven false but it was the Israelis that used 3 kids as human shields in 2009. Several other verified reports of IDF using human shields can be found with a quick search. A few of the soldiers were convicted in one case I believe - suspended sentences or some such bullshit.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2009/mar/23/gaza-human-shields-claim

wub

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #602 on: July 20, 2014, 04:54:03 PM »
Bush had the War in Gaza won until Obama messed it up.

©@©™

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #603 on: July 20, 2014, 07:33:35 PM »

:lol at this set

Isn't it generally agreed that the claims of human shields in 2009 conflict were more or less entirely false? Borderline self-parody to be talking about human shields in 2014.
By human shields they mean that people live in Gaza which is unfair tactics.

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #604 on: July 20, 2014, 07:45:14 PM »
the IDF should set all those mopey palestinians with a nice little package holiday to tel aviv while they remodel their homes.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #605 on: July 21, 2014, 09:00:18 PM »
I think the only way to deter him from sayin shit like that is to rape him

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #606 on: July 21, 2014, 09:03:17 PM »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #607 on: July 21, 2014, 09:29:07 PM »
Why do we need nukes when we could just struggle fuck a few ruskies to keep putin at bay?

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #609 on: July 22, 2014, 03:04:05 PM »
Uh, Corriere Della Sera has posted a supposed confession from a separatist that they indeed shot the plane down  :wtf

http://www.corriere.it/english/14_luglio_22/how-malaysian-plane-was-shot-down-51e99c60-118f-11e4-affb-3320a03d21e8.shtml
地平線

Squiddy

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #610 on: July 22, 2014, 03:22:16 PM »
Israel is kinda (and I hate to make this comparison) acting like Nazi Germany before the genociding begun in its earnest.
<コ:彡

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #611 on: July 22, 2014, 04:42:36 PM »
What an insightful observation.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #612 on: July 23, 2014, 12:03:59 AM »
Is there a news source that only reports on positive decisions? I find regular news unbearable at the moment. I don't even read half my feeds any more. Shit like this just makes me angry.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #613 on: July 23, 2014, 12:13:43 AM »
Is there a news source that only reports on positive decisions? I find regular news unbearable at the moment. I don't even read half my feeds any more. Shit like this just makes me angry.

l o l

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #614 on: July 23, 2014, 12:24:45 AM »

http://parade.condenast.com/
©@©™

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #615 on: July 23, 2014, 12:39:39 AM »

http://english.cpc.people.com.cn/

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #616 on: July 23, 2014, 12:39:58 AM »

Sounds like somebody needs to be reading UpWorthy!
dog

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #617 on: July 23, 2014, 12:49:33 AM »

http://parade.condenast.com/
You motherfucker. :lol

Goddamnit people. :'(

Kara

DCharlieJP

• the ex-XFE, now 3rd in-line for SFE
  • Icon
« Reply #619 on: July 23, 2014, 03:47:03 AM »
I am always confused when China get all uppity about this given the way they are stirring up EVERYONE in the region with various land/sea grabs and claims on islands where the rules denoting who should own it change from region to region in China's favour.

I mean - even this article - akin to "China see's this as a major upheaval and an armed Japan is dangerous" (sends out coastguard ships to stir up shit...)

O=X

benjipwns

« Reply #620 on: July 23, 2014, 04:22:40 AM »
Imperialist blues got you down?

Try some feel good news.

http://www.kcna.co.jp/index-e.htm

DPRK Premier Makes Field Survey of Major Industrial Establishments
Pyongyang, July 22 (KCNA) -- DPRK Premier Pak Pong Ju made field survey of major industrial establishments in Hamhung City, South Hamgyong Province.
He learned in detail about the production of Juche fertilizer, vinalon and custom-built equipment at the Hungnam Fertilizer Complex, the February 8 Vinalon Complex and the Ryongsong Machine Complex and held a consultative meeting.
The meeting underscored the need to boost the production at the complexes associated with the giant footsteps of leader Kim Jong Il.
It took measures to scrupulously manage equipment and improve their technical control so that the production might be kept at a high rate. It also called on the relevant units to satisfactorily provide raw and other materials needed for production at the complexes.
Going round the Hungnam Pharmaceutical Factory associated with leadership feats of Kim Jong Il, the premier underlined the need to continue dynamically pushing forward the project for modernizing the factory and boost the production of quality medicines so as to promote the people's health.

New Kind of Health Food Developed in DPRK
Pyongyang, July 22 (KCNA) -- The Health Foodstuffs Institute under Pyongyang Medical College of Kim Il Sung University developed a new kind of health food, a mixture of potato and soybean.
The health food is three times higher than rice in protein and fatty content and five to ten times higher in vitamin and mineral content.
Easily absorbable, it is considered good for preventing diabetes and hyperlipemia.
It can be taken as a staple food.

Tribute Paid to Statues of Kim Il Sung, Kim Jong Il
Pyongyang, July 22 (KCNA) -- The delegation of the Brazilian Communist Party headed by Raul Kroeff, member of its Central Committee, Tuesday visited the statues of President Kim Il Sung and leader Kim Jong Il on Mansu Hill.
The members of the delegation laid a bouquet before the statues and paid tribute to them

Anniversary of Demise of Kim Il Sung Commemorated by Foreign Media
Pyongyang, July 22 (KCNA) -- Foreign media carried special write-ups and aired special programs on the occasion of the 20th anniversary of President Kim Il Sung's demise,
The Indonesian paper Republika on July 6 carried an article titled "20 anniversary of demise of President Kim Il Sung" praising the career of the peerless great man who performed undying feats on behalf of the times and history with his outstanding idea and theories and great revolutionary practice.
The paper said that the President was the most prominent leader representing the 20th century, a peerless great man and a great sage of mankind, adding that though he passed away, his idea and cause are given steady continuity.
On the same day, the Zimbabwean paper The Herald in an article titled "In memory of President Kim Il Sung century after century" dealt with the ideological and theoretical feats of the President and his feats in building the party, army and state.
Guinean domestic and international and seven-language broadcasting services on July 8 broadcasted programs saying that the President was a peerless elder statesman revered by the world people for his personality as a great man.
On the same day, Equatorial Guinea TV broadcasted a program showing photos of the President and dealing with his revolutionary career and feats.
Myanmar TV aired the Korean film "Pyongyang Today" on July 9.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #621 on: July 23, 2014, 04:49:43 AM »
 :stahp

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #622 on: July 23, 2014, 09:51:04 AM »
That's what the ignore fxn is for!

http://m.aljazeera.com/story/201472210149734178

Honest Abe at it again! Japanbore pls.

dude's gonna be in the history books, but i don't think it's going to be for what he wants it to be

Honestly.......... kind of reminds me of some patriot act type legislation.  Didn't post about it on here, but didn't y'all recently make more hawkish moves, like easing up limits on the army?

The secrecy act was in December, and put forward a bunch of rules which limited the press in Japan to (among other things) not exposing state secrets or engaging in "inappropriate" means of gathering news. It's all horribly vague, but that's pretty common for Japanese laws -- and Japanese language, for that matter. The law means what it needs to mean to suit the purpose of society, or at least whomever is in control.

The next bit was this month the push for a constitutional amendment (Oscar, correct me if I'm wrong here) to allow Japan to participate in wars from a logistics and supply standpoint. This is already de post facto, as Bush Jr. harangued Koizumi into running supplies for the Coalition of the Willing in Iraq II: Electric Boogaloo. This new amendment will simply make it legal for them to do it, and theoretically make it less controversial when they do it in the future.

Yeah, he's hawkish. He's also cashing checks Japan already can't afford to write.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #623 on: July 23, 2014, 09:55:48 AM »
I am always confused when China get all uppity about this given the way they are stirring up EVERYONE in the region with various land/sea grabs and claims on islands where the rules denoting who should own it change from region to region in China's favour.

I mean - even this article - akin to "China see's this as a major upheaval and an armed Japan is dangerous" (sends out coastguard ships to stir up shit...)

Yeah, that's the other side of this coin: China getting worried about Japan's imperialist moves while they have ahold of Tibet, Taiwan, Hong Kong, ad nauseum. I know that Japan has a bad history, and Abe's moves are not calming anyone, but China needs to realize it's the pot calling the kettle black.

Squiddy

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #624 on: July 23, 2014, 11:11:09 AM »
People saying this is the start of a new cold war.
Brehs, the second cold war has been going on a long time.

This time around though, Putin played a risky game and it backfired. If it hadn't been for this chance event outside of his control, his move to support the rebels would have paid off and led to an increased stranglehold over the russian neighbours. It's a shame, he played the game beautifully, but it has bitten him back in the ass so hard.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 11:12:53 AM by Squiddy »

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #625 on: July 23, 2014, 11:11:47 AM »
People saying this is the start of a new cold war.
Brehs, the second cold war has been going on a long time.
:o  You just blew my mind

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #626 on: July 23, 2014, 11:32:13 AM »
Yes, Putin was playing things beautifully when he was just ruining his country's economy while alienating the world. Now he fucked up and is ruining his country's economy while further alienating the world.

Squiddy

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #627 on: July 23, 2014, 11:46:19 AM »
Before, it was a trade-off at the very least, Russia was gaining shit from more or less invading its lessors.
Now though, it has had its wig snatched and is being dragged through the mud.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #628 on: July 23, 2014, 11:54:06 AM »
Requesting title change: It Was All Good Before Squiddy Started Posting

« Reply #629 on: July 23, 2014, 04:18:38 PM »
http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/middle-east-unrest/i-lost-everything-gazan-relives-strike-wiped-out-family-n163091

drop leaflets and make phone calls telling people to move to central gaza

and then bomb central gaza and kill almost an entire family anyway.

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #630 on: July 23, 2014, 04:43:00 PM »
The RT thing is great too.

Russian media often use social media usernames and self-proclaimed experts as sources. TV channel RT found a man who called himself "Carlos". He purports to be a Spanish national working as an air traffic controller at the Borispol airport in Kiev. After the disaster, "Carlos" tweeted, in spanish, that Ukrainian military jets had followed MH17 and shot it down. Multiple news outlets picked up the story. But no Russian media questioned why a foreigner who neither speaks russian, ukrainian nor english, works at a Ukrainian airport and also livetweets about what happens in the airspace. Later the same evening, RT admitted that the "Carlos" twitter account was fake. But that didn't stop them from using him as a main source in another article two days later.

:lol
地平線

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #631 on: July 23, 2014, 05:34:36 PM »
The RT thing is great too.

Russian media often use social media usernames and self-proclaimed experts as sources. TV channel RT found a man who called himself "Carlos". He purports to be a Spanish national working as an air traffic controller at the Borispol airport in Kiev. After the disaster, "Carlos" tweeted, in spanish, that Ukrainian military jets had followed MH17 and shot it down. Multiple news outlets picked up the story. But no Russian media questioned why a foreigner who neither speaks russian, ukrainian nor english, works at a Ukrainian airport and also livetweets about what happens in the airspace. Later the same evening, RT admitted that the "Carlos" twitter account was fake. But that didn't stop them from using him as a main source in another article two days later.

:lol

Himu

« Reply #632 on: July 23, 2014, 06:16:14 PM »
Jesus Christ, my new feeds have been utterly depressing lately. I rarely comment on politics here because I'm pretty bad at political discourse, but I just had to say it, fucking hell. How do you see the Malaysia Airlines situation playing out?
IYKYK

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #633 on: July 23, 2014, 06:33:29 PM »
Jesus Christ, my new feeds have been utterly depressing lately. I rarely comment on politics here because I'm pretty bad at political discourse, but I just had to say it, fucking hell. How do you see the Malaysia Airlines situation playing out?

Broseidon

• Estado Homo
bent

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #635 on: July 23, 2014, 06:48:14 PM »
 :what

Edit: oh, it was hard to tell on my small ass phone that those were shops. But still.  :noah
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 06:50:50 PM by Atramental »

Kara

« Reply #636 on: July 24, 2014, 10:39:15 AM »
http://america.aljazeera.com/opinions/2014/7/can-brics-build-somethingnew.html

I love these BRIC optimism pieces. Always so hopeful on the inside, but externally pessimistic :brazilcry

[The] Comintern was created, funded and run by the Soviet Union, with significant input from Western communist parties.

:heh

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #637 on: July 24, 2014, 11:17:50 AM »
This is pretty interesting:

(Image removed from quote.)
source

It's not really what I expected. It's interesting that more people have an opinion now, but I suspected that the internet would have made people side more with the Palestinians, but apparently I'm wrong.

That's... Sad, really. Shows that mainstream media still has a strong grasp on the narrative. You listen to even something as popular as Democracy Now and that illusion is shattered.

Himu

« Reply #638 on: July 24, 2014, 11:24:32 AM »

source

It's not really what I expected. It's interesting that more people have an opinion now, but I suspected that the internet would have made people side more with the Palestinians, but apparently I'm wrong.

This actually disappoints me greatly, and yet I can't exactly say I'm surprised.
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #639 on: July 24, 2014, 12:41:21 PM »

source

It's worth noting gallup skews towards older, white respondents and land lines, which would explain these results. Hence why they had Romney winning in 2012.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #640 on: July 24, 2014, 12:44:03 PM »
Does that also say that 35% are anti-Semitic?
©ZH

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #641 on: July 24, 2014, 01:14:54 PM »
Be under investigation for war crimes then bomb the people investigating you, brehs

Luckily for Israel it's the UN and they'll probably just be like :yeshrug

Just wait until the UN enacts Agenda 21 tho.
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #642 on: July 24, 2014, 01:52:56 PM »
Just wait until the UN enacts Agenda 21 tho.

Is Agenda 21 just an Oklahoma thing or are nuts around the country scared of it?

Glen Beck "wrote" a dystopian thriller about it, that was basically wingnut Hunger Games.
©@©™

benjipwns

« Reply #643 on: July 24, 2014, 02:34:52 PM »
I heard his fiction wasn't too bad actually, in part due to what you just described.

Kara

« Reply #644 on: July 24, 2014, 03:56:08 PM »
You should just read OG wingnut stuff by Robert Anton Wilson instead.

Does that also say that 35% are anti-Semitic?

:larry
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 03:57:40 PM by Karakand »

Kara

« Reply #645 on: July 24, 2014, 04:06:56 PM »
A country where the company head gets arrested when the company does something wrong. :chinacry

IIRC, knowingly selling tainted food is a capital crime in the PRC. Hope it was worth it, y'all.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #646 on: July 24, 2014, 04:17:10 PM »
Profit>all
©ZH

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #647 on: July 24, 2014, 04:30:23 PM »
You should just read OG wingnut stuff by Robert Anton Wilson instead.

I jerk it to the Illuminatus! Trilogy sometimes.
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #648 on: July 24, 2014, 05:00:33 PM »
:mynicca

A book where there are 6 character POVs on one page, one of which is a talking dolphin. :whew

:umad GRRM wit dat 1 POV per chapter amateur hour?

benjipwns

« Reply #649 on: July 24, 2014, 05:23:33 PM »
A country where the company head gets arrested when the company does something wrong. :chinacry

IIRC, knowingly selling tainted food is a capital crime in the PRC. Hope it was worth it, y'all.
They punish their bureaucrats and politicians for crimes too.  :usacry

Kara

« Reply #650 on: July 24, 2014, 05:33:47 PM »
And they're now doing it with a program using a Mao Zedong Thought brand (mass line). :chinacry

I should get a BUKHARIN WAS RIGHT shirt and wear it to the next Party meeting. :ussrcry

Himu

« Reply #651 on: July 24, 2014, 05:34:29 PM »
Welp. Good thing I'm not hungry because I would have lost my appetitie immediately while reading that.
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #652 on: July 24, 2014, 05:38:44 PM »
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2014/07/24/cruz_obama_admin_the_most_anti-israel_admin_this_government_has_ever_had.html
SEN. TED CRUZ (R-TX): Israel is defending herself against vicious terrorists who are trying to murder innocent civilians. As Prime Minister Netanyahu put it very effectively a couple weeks ago, in Israel they use missile defense to protect their civilians. Hamas is using their civilians to protect their missiles, which is a war crime. And you ask why aren't we doing this? Sean, the reason is sad, it's tragic, but the Obama administration is the most anti-Israel administration this government has ever had.

Yesterday, we saw the FAA make an unprecedented decision to ban all air travel to the nation of Israel. And I've asked today the very simple question, did President Obama just unilaterally launch economic boycotts on the nation of Israel? Because John Kerry showed up in Israel, gave $47 million to Hamas in Gaza...

This decision by the FAA raises serious questions. Was this a political decision? Was it driven by the White House? Was it driven by the State Department? If it was based on airline safety, as they said, why did they single out Israel? Why not ban travel to Pakistan, or Yemen or Ukraine, where a commercial airliner just got shot down, but instead they targeted Israel. And the timing at the exact moment Kerry was there trying to strongarm Israel into stopping their efforts to shut down Hamas's rockets and tunnels.
Obama probably lies awake at night wondering how Ted Cruz can dominate him every single time.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Is that "why aren't we doing this?" referring to using civilians to protect missiles?
[close]

Kara

« Reply #653 on: July 24, 2014, 05:48:14 PM »
More anti-Israel than the Eisenhower administration? :heh

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #654 on: July 24, 2014, 05:53:44 PM »
I wonder what Ted Cruz would say if a US airline got shot out the sky in Tel Aviv.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #655 on: July 24, 2014, 05:58:06 PM »
"We need to send the best fighting force in the world to root out Hamas, who is clearly responsible for these acts of terror"

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #656 on: July 24, 2014, 06:12:39 PM »
and now for something completely non israel related but also disgusting

http://www.economist.com/blogs/analects/2014/07/food-safety?fsrc=scn/tw/te/bl/ed/notyum

Yeah, this was on the news yesterday. There are heaps of foods in Japanese supermarkets which are imported from China. They are overwhelmingly less expensive than the Japanese-farmed versions of the same item. Chinese garlic, for one, is 1/4th the price of Japanese garlic. But Chinese food is suspect in Japan, fairly or not. This article reinforces for me that it's not an unfair assessment.

Broseidon

• Estado Homo
« Reply #657 on: July 24, 2014, 06:41:42 PM »
Shit's kicking off in the West Bank. Some people calling for a third intifada.
bent

Squiddy

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #658 on: July 24, 2014, 06:44:22 PM »
Why can't we just have peace  :-\
Fucking extremists on both sides

Broseidon

• Estado Homo
« Reply #659 on: July 24, 2014, 06:45:30 PM »