Author Topic: International Politics Thread - Disease and Disaster  (Read 1302562 times)

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
Re: Bad Times in Sandland: International Politics Thread
« Reply #480 on: June 16, 2014, 02:26:51 PM »
"Obama plays golf while Iraq burns." - a bunch of dumbasses.
©ZH

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #481 on: June 16, 2014, 04:21:50 PM »
I think involving Iran is to make sure the entire state doesn't collapse, then after that they can work out how to reintegrate the Sunni community.

Triage before surgery, if you will.

fizzel

« Reply #482 on: June 16, 2014, 05:29:13 PM »
Just give the whole fucking lot to iran like the old achaemenid days and be done with it already.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #483 on: June 16, 2014, 07:03:47 PM »
The only thing Iran can offer is troops but I'm not so sure how willing Iranians are to essentially fixing America's problem in the long term. The alternative is a state next door that's hostile to Shias though.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #484 on: June 16, 2014, 08:13:48 PM »
Obama sending support forces to Iraq
:beli

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #485 on: June 16, 2014, 08:29:44 PM »
Obama sending support forces to Iraq

Less than 300 so far, and they're only being sent to guard the US embassy. Again, so far.
dog

Broseidon

• Estado Homo
« Reply #486 on: June 17, 2014, 11:16:10 AM »
bent

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #487 on: June 17, 2014, 11:32:24 AM »
Let's speculate as to what's in the glass:

Microbrew
Tea
Motor oil
Some crazy Arab shit that would melt a people who believe in the development and protection of a Jewish nation from the inside
©ZH

Broseidon

• Estado Homo
bent

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #489 on: June 17, 2014, 12:03:43 PM »
Read this article this morning, what's you guys' take?

http://pando.com/2014/06/16/the-war-nerd-heres-everything-you-need-to-know-about-too-extreme-for-al-qaeda-i-s-i-s/

ISIS is a sectarian Sunni militia—that’s all. A big one, as militias go, with something like 10,000 fighters. Most of them are Iraqi, a few are Syrian, and a few hundred are those famous “European jihadis” who draw press attention out of all relation to their negligible combat value. The real strength of ISIS comes from its Chechen fighters, up to a thousand of them. A thousand Chechens is a serious force, and a terrifying one if they’re bearing down on your neighborhood. Chechens are the scariest fighters, pound-for-pound, in the world.

But we’re still talking about a conventional military force smaller than a division. That’s a real but very limited amount of combat power. What this means is that, no matter how many scare headlines you read, ISIS will never take Baghdad, let alone Shia cities to the south like Karbala. It won’t be able to dent the Kurds’ territory to the north, either. All it can do—all it has been doing, by moving into Sunni cities like Mosul and Tikrit—is to complete the partition of Iraq begun by our dear ex-president Bush in 2003. By crushing Saddam’s Sunni-led Iraq, the Americans made partition inevitable. In fact, Iraq has been partitioned ever since the invasion; it’s just been partitioned badly, into two parts instead of the natural three: the Kurdish north, and the remainder occupied by a weak sectarian Shia force going by the name of “The Iraqi Army.” The center of the country, the so-called “Sunni Triangle,” had no share in this partition and was under the inept, weak rule of the Shia army.
©@©™

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #490 on: June 17, 2014, 12:42:38 PM »
Some crazy Arab shit that would melt a people who believe in the development and protection of a Jewish nation from the inside

:lawd عرق 

Brehvolution

« Reply #491 on: June 17, 2014, 12:51:37 PM »
Didn't mean to offend anyone.  :whew
©ZH

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #492 on: June 17, 2014, 12:52:16 PM »
Let's speculate as to what's in the glass:

Microbrew
Tea
Motor oil
Some crazy Arab shit that would melt a person who believes in the development and protection of a Jewish nation from the inside

ruin your credit score and loan eligibility with a post brehs

Kara

« Reply #493 on: June 17, 2014, 12:53:26 PM »
idk how popular it is in Israel, but my Jewish family's drink of choice is slivovitz and that foul substance gives araq a run for its money on the, "holy fuck you actually drink this to have a good time?" scale now that I think about it.  :ohhh

Though I think slivovitz would enjoy greater popularity in a contest by virtue of the fact that it's not an anise drink.  :larry

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #494 on: June 17, 2014, 12:59:11 PM »
Aw yeah, šljivovica. I have relatives who make their own.

Kara

« Reply #495 on: June 17, 2014, 01:03:11 PM »
Tangential slivovitz story: I was drinking a bottle of it alone once, it was Hungarian but made by a Jewish company, and when I poured out the the last bit of the bottle there was this big huge disgusting dead insect in the slivovitz.

I guess a normal person might have freaked out about this, but I was like  :yeshrug nothing that can hurt me could survive in a bottle of slivovitz and dumped out the glass dejectedly, then went on with my life.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 11:22:39 PM by Karakand »

Kara

« Reply #496 on: June 17, 2014, 11:27:00 PM »
:lol

Real talk: If I go to a "bring a bottle" social function, I always bring an anise liquor because the odds of me going home with it relatively untouched are quite high.  :hitler

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #497 on: June 17, 2014, 11:30:28 PM »
 :obama a little mad i never though of that
pcp

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #498 on: June 17, 2014, 11:37:53 PM »
Ouzo :bow2
pcp

Kara

« Reply #499 on: June 17, 2014, 11:46:22 PM »
:obama a little mad i never though of that

I only thought of it because I used to have a drinking buddy with whom I'd go to BevMo once a week and find some off the wall thing to buy and drink ( :snoop ) and one week I picked ouzo for us since they'd never had it before... but I'd forgotten that they hated black licorice so I ended up having to destroy a bottle of ouzo by myself while they angrily drank something from their own stash for the rest of the night.

Broseidon

• Estado Homo
« Reply #500 on: June 19, 2014, 07:14:02 PM »
AQAP video release.

Interesting.
bent

Kara

« Reply #501 on: June 21, 2014, 09:59:18 PM »
http://kotaku.com/even-the-nsa-likes-final-fantasy-1594070889

The most powerful people in the world are Final Fantasy fans.  :neogaf

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #502 on: June 21, 2014, 11:30:37 PM »
Chaos Overlord

:expert
©@©™

Broseidon

• Estado Homo
« Reply #503 on: June 25, 2014, 11:05:46 AM »
:whew
bent

Kara

« Reply #505 on: June 30, 2014, 07:28:26 PM »
So Der Spiegel does these interviews with prominent international political figures that I love because they will always ask a hardball question and the international political figure will give some ridiculous answer. The best one I've ever read is Thaksin Shinawatra's response to being accused of ordering murders while Prime Minister.

SPIEGEL: When you were prime minister, you weren't the perfect democrat either. You stand accused of serious human rights violations.

Thaksin: I accept this criticism. We made mistakes, particularly in the war on drugs ...

SPIEGEL: ... during which thousands of people are believed to have been killed.

Thaksin: Perhaps my expectations were too dramatic. I wanted something to happen. I wanted to scare those criminals, to send them a warning. But I never personally ordered anybody to be killed. I'm a Buddhist, and I believe that those who kill will be killed themselves in their next life.

Anyway, they just did one of these interviews with Iraq's Foreign Minister and I was like :mynicca at his answer to their hardball question.

SPIEGEL: Iran's Supreme Leader Ali Hosseini Khamenei has accused the US of bringing its "stooges" to power in Iraq. Saudi Arabian Foreign Minister Saud al-Faisal has warned Iran not to "intervene" in Iraq. This doesn't exactly look like rapprochement.

Zebari: I can tell you what Khamenei and Saud al-Faisal mean: There is an ongoing conflict about the new government. Everybody wants Iraq to go in a new direction and everybody wants to see new faces. I have told Saud al-Faisal: We have a democratic system and a political process. Sixty-two percent of Iraqis voted on April 30. We are going to have a parliament and a new government according to the results of this election. We don't have princes who can appoint people by royal decree. We change our leaders according to our own rules. Khamenei, for his part, thinks that -- according to his interpretation -- the Americans are trying to influence this process and install their own supporters into government.

SPIEGEL: Is he right?

Zebari: I am not going to judge him and will not be drawn into such a discussion.

"Shut down!" /League of Legends  :whew

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #506 on: July 01, 2014, 12:03:41 AM »
After years of hearing American politicians and pundits hype various existential threats to the US (or American freedoms/culture/"way of life"), it's downright odd to read an interview with a politician discussing a "mortal threat" to his country that actually exists.

Kara

« Reply #507 on: July 02, 2014, 08:02:01 PM »
First it was ISIS because ghareeb don't know about the concept of Greater Syria.

Then it was ISIL because Levant is the English approximation of Greater Syria.

Now it's just Islamic State.

But some people have just kept using ISIS throughout this entire process, and still do.

Kara

« Reply #508 on: July 02, 2014, 08:32:53 PM »
Yeah but Sham doesn't exist in English, when people hear Syria they think of the current nation-state known as Syria, not the historical region of Syria and it creates unnecessary confusion especially now that the organization is no longer merely a faction in the Syrian Civil War. (I know that they didn't start there, I merely speak of in popular consciousness when I say this.)

I would have just left it untranslated as Sham and kept ISIS, but no one asked me.

I don't run in itk circles, but I have started seeing just "Islamic State" in news articles now that they changed their name (again).
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 12:28:15 AM by Karakand »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #509 on: July 03, 2014, 12:14:10 AM »
That's not exactly true. ISIS/ISIL are just different ways of translating Sham. (I prefer ISIS because the Levant in English usually refers to the Mediterranean coast.) Back in my day we called them AQI (al-Qaida in Iraq), but their name changed and has now changed again so I'm wondering if we're going to just use IS or if those in the know are going to use al-Dawla or if that will just be for sympathizers. I also wonder what the intelligence community is calling them since that's what people who run in military circles will use. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what sticks since the caliphate is only a couple of days old.
Now that an actual caliphate is forming, are people going to go back to that Dan Simmons book, Flashback, and apologize to him? Or do we have to wait for the Japanese and Indian annexation specifically?

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #510 on: July 03, 2014, 12:26:42 AM »
ISIS makes me think of Archer which gives it a dash of light-hearted flavor. Which is really nice and makes it more digestible as a racket for shooting infidels at point blank range.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #511 on: July 03, 2014, 09:46:02 AM »
That map is so confusing. What is happening in Central Europe?

You can tell by the color: That's where they're going to consolidate all the whiteys.

Broseidon

• Estado Homo
« Reply #512 on: July 03, 2014, 09:54:25 AM »

It's from a Paradox game. Austria-Hungary, separate German states, Russian empire.
bent

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #513 on: July 03, 2014, 10:27:03 AM »

It's from a Paradox game. Austria-Hungary, separate German states, Russian empire.

ISIS has good taste. :obama
dog

Kara

« Reply #514 on: July 03, 2014, 11:08:51 AM »
You know if ISIS is going to stick around, they really need to change that flag of theirs. It's completely unintimidating and the shahada looks like something I would have written in Arabic 1A after finally learning all the letters in the alphabet. Show some god damn respect for dagger alif.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 11:11:49 AM by Karakand »

Broseidon

• Estado Homo
« Reply #515 on: July 03, 2014, 01:44:08 PM »
The graphic was probably made my Broseidon.

Even I wouldn't try to take India for some random reason. Wouldn't those borders mean Muslims are a minority in this new Uber-Caliphate?

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I literally just started an Ottoman run in Vicky 2 this morning :shh
[close]
bent

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #516 on: July 03, 2014, 11:31:06 PM »

ISIS has good taste. :obama
Remember that footage of al Qaeda "training" with monkey bars? ISIS does their strategic planning with Paradox games.

Part of why they've been so successful. But also part of why they keep trying to marry royal lineages together. Little underreported factoid there.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 11:33:45 PM by benjipwns »

Kara

Kara

« Reply #519 on: July 04, 2014, 02:20:10 AM »
Dan Simmons was right about the Caliphate annexing Japan, but I don't think he could have imagined the real reason why they'd want to annex it. :japancry

benjipwns

« Reply #520 on: July 04, 2014, 02:25:43 AM »
Establishing a Caliphate seems like it'd be a real bitch to try and manage these days.

Kara

« Reply #521 on: July 04, 2014, 02:41:38 PM »
Establishing a Caliphate seems like it'd be a real bitch to try and manage these days.

It was a pain in the neck for the Sahabi back then too, why do you think there's a Shi'a / Sunni divide? :lol

Broseidon

• Estado Homo
« Reply #522 on: July 05, 2014, 11:12:49 AM »

:leon
bent

Kara

« Reply #523 on: July 07, 2014, 03:03:39 PM »
Not really current events, but I just found out about this individual thanks to USA Today.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melita_Norwood

Reading her biography, how the hell did she ever get anywhere near sensitive materials? I know the Labour Party wasn't quite the conciliatory lickspittle of today that it was then but, :neogaf.

I have to say though, it's almost poetic justice that a woman working an unappreciated "woman's job" (I don't agree with this term, I merely use it in a clinical sense from the perspective of those in power for the time period covered) was one of the world's most important spies in the 20th century. I'm also not entirely shocked that her name isn't well known, and that her Wikipedia article is just a stub.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
A convinced communist herself, she apparently gained no material profit from her actions. When asked about her motives, she explained: "I did what I did, not to make money, but to help prevent the defeat of a new system which had, at great cost, given ordinary people food and fares which they could afford, a good education and a health service."

:ussrcry  :tocry :ussrcry
[close]
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 03:05:29 PM by Karakand »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
Re: No Love for CACs in Zimbabwe: International Politics Thread
« Reply #524 on: July 08, 2014, 04:28:17 PM »
It is ours and that message should ring loud and clear in Britain and the United States.

:badass
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #525 on: July 08, 2014, 05:01:31 PM »
I see Mugabe is taking part in our whitest sitcom challenge. #solidarity

Kara

« Reply #526 on: July 08, 2014, 07:15:07 PM »
Colonialism was foreign direct investment, yes. :hitler

Brehvolution

« Reply #527 on: July 09, 2014, 11:24:45 AM »
I see Israel is doing their best to preserve peace. What's a little air strike between friends?
©ZH

T-Short

• hooker strangler
地平線

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #529 on: July 10, 2014, 07:39:11 AM »
Hey brahs, come to Rhodesia :hitler

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #530 on: July 12, 2014, 10:12:59 AM »
地平線

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #531 on: July 12, 2014, 10:37:03 AM »
 :goty
dog

Kara

« Reply #532 on: July 12, 2014, 01:32:05 PM »
Germany is kicking our rezident out. :neogaf :ufup

The German government ordered the CIA’s top officer in Berlin to leave the country Thursday in an extraordinary escalation of a conflict between the two allies over U.S. espionage.

The move amounts to a high-profile expression of German anger over alleged CIA operations uncovered by German investigators in recent weeks, as well as continued public outrage over the exposure last year of widespread U.S. surveillance programs whose targets included Chancellor Angela Merkel.

A spokesman for the German government, Steffen Seibert, confirmed the expulsion of the CIA station chief in a statement that made clear Berlin regards U.S. espionage efforts as a breach of trust.

“The representative of the U.S. intelligence services at the Embassy of the United States of America has been requested to leave Germany,” Seibert said. Continued cooperation would require “mutual trust and openness,” Seibert added. “The Federal Government continues to be ready for this and expects the same from its closest partners.”

The decision means that the United States will be forced to withdraw an officer who oversees U.S. spying programs in Germany and serves as the main point of contact with German intelligence services, exchanging information on subjects ranging from terrorist plots to Iranian nuclear ambitions.

In ordering the CIA station chief to leave, Germany resorted to a form of retaliation that is occasionally employed by espionage adversaries such as the United States and Russia, but rarely by such a close ally.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #533 on: July 12, 2014, 01:42:44 PM »
Just a bit of theatre to distract from our (very desperately wanted) lack of sovereignity. :heh

Kara

Brehvolution

« Reply #536 on: July 14, 2014, 04:07:59 PM »

©ZH

benjipwns

« Reply #537 on: July 14, 2014, 04:41:10 PM »
That upper right graph should read "Jihadi terrorists tactically neutralized by Israeli security forces" and "Innocent civilians murdered by Palestinians."

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
©@©™

Kara

This spying thing between the U.S. and Germany keeps getting worse and worse.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/expulsion-of-cia-head-a-sign-of-tougher-german-response-to-spying-a-980912.html

I can't say I don't find it a little disingenuous that the German government is mad about Die Linke politicians being under surveillance when their own domestic intelligence agency was recently embarrassed by a scandal wherein it came out that it was monitoring Die Linke in a similar degree as it was Neo-Nazi groups, and not just the out of touch factions / members of Die Linke from western parts of Germany (the ones from the eastern part of the country tend to be more practical having had governing experience, they just slip a little too far into being unironic tankies from time to time), but sitting members of parliament.