Author Topic: International Politics Thread - Disease and Disaster  (Read 1302035 times)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Re: Nigeria is Fucked Up: International Politics Thread
« Reply #300 on: May 08, 2014, 02:26:17 PM »
http://www.compareafrique.com/dear-americans-hashtags-wont-bringbackourgirls-might-actually-making-things-worse/

Oh Michelle is #concerned alright :hitler

Shit. See? I called it. And as (Image removed from quote.) as some might view this issue, its how they feel and AmeriKKKa should respect it.

I'm pretty sure many of these people would rather continue fighting and dying on their own terms rather than approve intervention from us. Can't blame them either.

On the other hand, PD, known Republican voter, says we need drones blowing up black people and we need them now.
©@©™

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #301 on: May 08, 2014, 06:17:04 PM »
honestly the whole "hashtag major foreign events" thing has always been wack. An effortless way to show you care about shit you probably don't care about. Not saying Michelle doesn't care, just talking broadly.

#tcot

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #302 on: May 08, 2014, 06:19:04 PM »
It wouldn't be the first time we've seen PD shit on Nigerians

(Image removed from quote.)

You weren't here when he invited me to "party" with him on MSU's campus so he could jump me  :lol

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #303 on: May 08, 2014, 07:13:29 PM »
Nah dude is like 5'7
:neogaf

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #304 on: May 08, 2014, 07:30:32 PM »
Why drones? Even if you find them they have hundreds of kidnapped girls.

It's crazy how that one CNN article Esch posted shows US and Nigeria aren't even sure if Boko Haram has hundreds of members or thousands. I guess they're too well hidden in the general population similar to the Taliban, the Vietcong, and Mujahideen.

I kind of find it hard to believe that a significant proportion of the Nigerian Muslim population supports BH though, they already have some level of Sharia law in that half of the country.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 12:39:42 AM by am nintenho »

Broseidon

• Estado Homo
« Reply #305 on: May 08, 2014, 09:27:38 PM »
Did Boko Haram kidap you mid-sentence? Post if you're okay :-*
bent

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #306 on: May 08, 2014, 09:59:33 PM »
dog

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #307 on: May 08, 2014, 10:28:37 PM »
Nah dude is like 5'7
:neogaf

You seem pretty shook to me :hitler

I just don't want to catch a murder charge due to a fuckboy testing me out in these streets. Gotta stay out of jail for at least one more year to qualify for #BlackExcellence
 :obama

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #308 on: May 09, 2014, 12:30:09 AM »
If we do intervene, people will cite AFRICOM as some sort of africa invasion/control plan as they have for years now, and nobody will give us the credit for a job well done. Ive been browsing comments on both stories and people think Boko Haram is somehow our fault to start with anyway. I say screw that shit. Its not our job to make sure the world runs a certain way and when we do it, its thankless

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #309 on: May 09, 2014, 12:38:23 AM »
I didnt know Randy Newman had deep album cuts like that :dead :ohhh

Still... Nah.
:what

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #310 on: May 09, 2014, 12:40:08 AM »
Did Boko Haram kidap you mid-sentence? Post if you're okay :-*

I'm okie.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #311 on: May 09, 2014, 12:52:45 PM »
It's crazy how that one CNN article Esch posted shows US and Nigeria aren't even sure if Boko Haram has hundreds of members or thousands
Quite frankley, Boko Haram sounds made up. Like Todd Gack.

The Congregation of the People of Tradition for Proselytism and Jihad[2][3] (Arabic: جماعة اهل السنة للدعوة والجهاد‎ Jamāʻat Ahl as-Sunnah lid-daʻwa wal-Jihād), better known by its Hausa name Boko Haram
I think the former has a mosque down by Wendy's.

Founded by Mohammed Yusuf in 2002
Like I'm supposed to believe this. It's just a mashup name of Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and Ramzi Yousef.

Its weapons expert, second-in-command and arms manufacturer was Momodu Bama
Hmmm take out "du", move the O over and...

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #312 on: May 10, 2014, 04:02:00 PM »
Saudi Arabia’s grand mufti, the top religious authority in the birthplace of Islam, has condemned Nigeria’s Boko Haram as a group “set up to smear the image of Islam” and condemned its kidnapping of over 200 schoolgirls.
Sheikh Abdulaziz Al al-Sheikh said the radical movement, which says it wants to establish a “pure” Islamic state in Nigeria, was “misguided” and should be “shown their wrong path and be made to reject it.”
His remarks came as religious leaders in the Muslim world, who often do not comment on militant violence, joined in denouncing Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau for saying Allah had told him to sell off the kidnapped girls as forced brides.
“This is a group that has been set up to smear the image of Islam and must be offered advice, shown their wrong path and be made to reject it,” he told the Arabic-language newspaper al-Hayat in an interview published on Friday.
“These groups are not on the right path because Islam is against kidnapping, killing and aggression,” he said. “Marrying kidnapped girls is not permitted.”
Boko Haram militants kidnapped some 250 girls on April 14 from a secondary school in Chibok village, near the Cameroon border, while they took exams. Fifty have since escaped.
http://blogs.reuters.com/faithworld/2014/05/10/saudi-arabias-top-cleric-says-nigerias-boko-haram-smears-islam/

this is like Uncle Luke telling you that your lyrics are too explicit.

benjipwns

« Reply #313 on: May 11, 2014, 08:28:57 AM »
Donetsk tries "vote as many times as you want" election:

Apparently shredding spoiled ballots. (neoliberal western media calls them "no" votes)

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
©ZH

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #315 on: May 12, 2014, 11:47:07 AM »
The Obama administration is latching onto a mass kidnapping in Nigeria as part of a "wag the dog" ploy to draw Americans' attention away from the truth about the Benghazi attacks, according to former Rep. Allen West (R-FL).

Last month, West argued on his blog that Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling's racist remarks and subsequent ban from the NBA were receiving an undue amount of coverage compared to still-unanswered questions about the 2012 attacks in Libya. The Fox News contributor went a step further on Monday when he implied that first lady Michelle Obama attempted to distract from Benghazi by decrying a radical Islamist group's abduction of more than 270 Nigerian schoolgirls.

"Are we witnessing an Obama 'Wag the Dog' moment with Boko Haram in Nigeria?" West wrote. "I say yes."

The first lady joined a Twitter hashtag campaign, #BringBackOurGirls, last week to raise awareness of the missing girls captured by Boko Haram:

West questioned the timing of the first lady's advocacy before invoking Benghazi, the scandal enveloping the Department of Veterans Affairs and the spiraling situation in Ukraine as examples of what he deems to be more pressing issues facing the Obama administration.

"So what better time than right now, to create the straw man of Boko Haram, another distraction for which no real action will take place," he wrote. "Anyone remember Joseph Kony?"

Conservative radio host Laura Ingraham similarly blasted Democrats on Thursday for not beating the same "powerful drumbeat for justice" for the Benghazi attacks as they are now for the kidnapping in Nigeria.

I'd compare these people and their platform to a cesspool, but at least cesspools serve a useful function.
dog

benjipwns

« Reply #316 on: May 12, 2014, 12:54:21 PM »
What happened with the VA is goddamn criminal, and I'm surprised that story isn't getting more attention, particularly since it's such an obvious home run for the "socialized medicine = death and rationing" argument.
I saw a conservative opinion piece on it somewhere last week. The crux was that this was more evidence of Obama not caring about or understanding the military.

It's like bro, this is tee ball here, not even a slow pitch.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #317 on: May 12, 2014, 12:56:20 PM »
The VA situation, like Boko Haram in Nigeria, is actually a PRESSING ISSUE since it involves an ongoing problem that needs to be addressed sooner rather than later so that more people aren't effected. But, of course, this is all a distraction from whether someone in the White House changed a couple of words on a memo.
dog

Broseidon

• Estado Homo
« Reply #318 on: May 13, 2014, 12:57:56 PM »
:ohhh
bent

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #319 on: May 13, 2014, 01:26:56 PM »
What happened with the VA is goddamn criminal, and I'm surprised that story isn't getting more attention, particularly since it's such an obvious home run for the "socialized medicine = death and rationing" argument.
I saw a conservative opinion piece on it somewhere last week. The crux was that this was more evidence of Obama not caring about or understanding the military.

It's like bro, this is tee ball here, not even a slow pitch.

A better argument would be that it's another example of an ineffective, poorly managed government under this administration. The VA has been shit for years but Obama got into office arguing for smarter, more effective government - using a "scalpel" to cut out abuse and inefficiency. 6 years later and it's still just as bloated, and many areas that needed reform weren't addressed. I've mentioned it before but the thing that really rustled my jimmies was during the healthcare website fiasco, when Obama was lamenting how ineffective the government's IT contract situation is. Basically lobbyists for big companies write the regulation rules to ensure smaller contractors/companies can't even submit applications, and that played a role in the site being a fuck up. He was saying this like he was some helpless bystander - not the fucking President of the United States who can easily begin to reform how his administration handles shit like this. It just struck me as pathetic.

BTW the dudes who created his insanely effective online re-election campaign were barred from bidding on the healthcare.gov contract due to said regulations.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 02:01:34 PM by Phoenix Dark »

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #320 on: May 13, 2014, 06:51:34 PM »
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/cocaine-use-in-britain-so-high-it-has-contaminated-our-drinking-water-report-shows-9350477.html

:whew please explain Broseidon

Brit booger sugar game really that deep :leon
I'd be really interested in the hotspots. I have a feeling City bankers throw coke parties like clockwork. :lol
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 06:58:46 PM by Rufus »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #321 on: May 13, 2014, 10:24:44 PM »
 :dayum

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #322 on: May 13, 2014, 10:34:20 PM »
girls < drones < benghazi
pcp

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #323 on: May 13, 2014, 11:47:51 PM »
The side effects of drone warfare are pretty bad, there's no denying that, but, like, Boko Haram rolled into some town and straight up slaughtered 300 people and then burned the whole town to the ground. Even stacked up against other things that are bad, Boko Haram is really bad.
dog

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #324 on: May 14, 2014, 12:35:51 AM »
There should be a word for a selfie where someone else is holding the camera.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #325 on: May 14, 2014, 12:46:15 AM »
argue over the preferred nomenclature of photography, brehs

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #326 on: May 14, 2014, 12:49:25 AM »
How about a youfie?

#youfie
WDW

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #327 on: May 14, 2014, 01:13:16 AM »
:kobeyuck
dog

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #328 on: May 14, 2014, 01:27:01 AM »
Hey remember when conservatives literally cheered that this country wouldn't host the Olympics because Obama?

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
Re: In Brasil, No One Can Hear You Scream: International Politics Thread
« Reply #329 on: May 14, 2014, 01:53:28 AM »
"There is no use crying over spilt milk,"

:holeup
WDW

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #330 on: May 14, 2014, 11:24:02 AM »
Give nice things to third-world hellholes, brehs.
©@©™

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #331 on: May 14, 2014, 11:38:59 AM »
Pure blatant racism at work, no latin american country should support the Olympics, apparently nazy germany was good enough for them but not Brazil.
Drunk

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #332 on: May 14, 2014, 07:18:37 PM »
Pure blatant racism at work, no latin american country should support the Olympics, apparently nazy germany was good enough for them but not Brazil. (Image removed from quote.)

I'd rather get the silent treatment in Nazi Germany than shanked in Brazil.
 :umad

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #333 on: May 18, 2014, 02:33:51 AM »
MANDARK CONTROL YOUR PEOPLE
pcp

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #334 on: May 18, 2014, 03:00:12 AM »
MANDARK CONTROL YOUR PEOPLE

Pamela Gellar  :yeshrug

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #335 on: May 18, 2014, 10:37:22 AM »
I would hope that we can all agree a $25 minimum wage probably wouldn't be feasible.

Broseidon

• Estado Homo
« Reply #336 on: May 18, 2014, 11:37:33 AM »
http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/16/world/asia/india-narendra-modi-profile/

Modi is poised to take the seat of India. Hard to say how I feel about him. I identify with him as a gujurati, and he has done some great things for our state. I see him as being very good for India in terms of structure and business, but I feel as though there's definitely an intolerant horizon on his rule; it will not be kind to the muslims given his past history. He strikes me as having the potential to become a very dangerous ruler in these economically and culturally insecure times for India. But maybe im just fearful? I don't know. I believe he can and will change India, for better and worse. Thats all I can say.

Edit: there is just this hitleresque energy he has about him that disturbs me and sets off a lot of my cautionary buttons, and not just because hes a BJP right winger. India has severe social issues that need to be addressed and I'm 100% sure he will ignore them or address them poorly.

Whenever I hear about Modi he's always described as a right-wing Nationalist. Also hear his supporters often saying how India needs a "strong leader" like him, which is language to throw a side-eye at in the best of times.
bent

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #337 on: May 18, 2014, 11:51:50 AM »
A few of my friends, both Indian and non, were happy with the Modi win... but bear in mind that when it comes to western politics, these are the same people who support Ron Paul.
^_^

Broseidon

• Estado Homo
« Reply #338 on: May 18, 2014, 06:07:01 PM »
So it looks like there's yet another coup attempt underway in Tripoli. This one seems to be a pretty serious deal this time.
bent

Broseidon

• Estado Homo
« Reply #339 on: May 19, 2014, 12:53:01 PM »
Some people think Egypt might intervene. I wouldn't rule it out. Also wouldn't be surprised if they had a hand in the whole thing.
bent

Broseidon

• Estado Homo
bent

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #341 on: May 20, 2014, 02:50:52 PM »
I can't wait until we achieve a post-racial society like Europe. :aah
©@©™

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #342 on: May 20, 2014, 02:51:50 PM »
I can't wait until we achieve a post-racial society like Europe. :aah

I can't wait until Britian is a Muslim country
:rejoice

benjipwns

« Reply #343 on: May 20, 2014, 02:52:32 PM »
Should've painted the mannequin. Though the key is getting the right color shoe polish.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #344 on: May 20, 2014, 08:01:09 PM »
Russia is fucked long term, I really don't understand the point of their recent behavior.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #345 on: May 20, 2014, 08:21:54 PM »
Can we digest this for a minute?

On a bad day, breathing the air in Beijing is equivalent to smoking 21 cigarettes.

:dead

Man if the US could get some minor shit together we'd have no problem sailing over China and Russia over the next 20 years. And India assuming this presidency goes as poorly as I assume it will.

Actually we don't even need to project out long term, Russia is fucked in the near future. I don't see Putin backing down either, which will prolong the pain.

But remember guys, Obama is the weak one being embarrassed by the manly Putin. :obama

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #346 on: May 20, 2014, 08:33:45 PM »
Not after Pakistan gives you that work
:trollbron:

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #347 on: May 20, 2014, 09:23:25 PM »

On a bad day, breathing the air in Beijing is equivalent to smoking 21 cigarettes.

Pollution in parts of China is absolutely insane, it makes LA look like the Biodome or something.
dog

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #348 on: May 20, 2014, 09:36:55 PM »

Pollution in parts of China is absolutely insane, it makes LA look like the Biodome or something.

Imagine how sick that population is going to be in 10-20 years.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #349 on: May 20, 2014, 09:59:28 PM »
Imagine how bad things will be if they don't start trying to curb pollution.
dog

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #350 on: May 21, 2014, 06:14:16 AM »
and it all blows over the sea to here

which gives people here ammo to feed hatred of chinese

which is about the last thing japan needs right now

Yeah, even my 9-year-old was feeling incensed over Abe's latest rhetoric. I mean, Bush Jr. really opened up the possibility of overseas military involvement for Japan, with the request that they be on hand to supply forces in Iraq. That was a seriously weird request to a country which ostensibly is only allowed a limited Self-Defense Force.

benjipwns

« Reply #351 on: May 21, 2014, 11:50:38 AM »
Can't believe I had to go to GAF to learn about the Nazi Muslim Neoliberal Sheikh* coup in India: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=822142

spoiler (click to show/hide)
*Yes, he's actually Zelda in disguise.
[close]
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 11:54:31 AM by benjipwns »

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
vin

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #353 on: May 21, 2014, 02:03:17 PM »
I think the majority of Japanese are extremely anti-war, but there's no other viable party to vote for besides the Conservative party.

The JCP is often the only other party that will run in local elections.  :lol

T-Short

• hooker strangler
地平線

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #355 on: May 22, 2014, 10:01:02 AM »

Yeah, even my 9-year-old was feeling incensed over Abe's latest rhetoric. I mean, Bush Jr. really opened up the possibility of overseas military involvement for Japan, with the request that they be on hand to supply forces in Iraq. That was a seriously weird request to a country which ostensibly is only allowed a limited Self-Defense Force.

It's inevitable that Japan will re-militarize and with the US's support. China can't really go uncontested in that region especially after the bullshit with the Senkaku Islands and their ridiculous ADIZ expansion which cuts deep into Japanese and Korean waters. India was supposed to be China's equal in the 80's and eventually overtake them but obviously that never happened so the only other option is Japan.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #357 on: May 22, 2014, 09:32:19 PM »

It's inevitable that Japan will re-militarize and with the US's support. China can't really go uncontested in that region especially after the bullshit with the Senkaku Islands and their ridiculous ADIZ expansion which cuts deep into Japanese and Korean waters. India was supposed to be China's equal in the 80's and eventually overtake them but obviously that never happened so the only other option is Japan.

WELL, HEY. I guess we can look forward to even more ludicrous deficit spending then. And more likely than not, there'll be a push to use US military equipment or at least designs, leading to more US lobbying to support this eventual move by Japan, feeding into the military industrial complex for the USA.

Fffffuuuuu...

benjipwns

« Reply #358 on: May 22, 2014, 09:33:53 PM »
Fingers crossed for a Gung Ho remake set at a weapons manufacturer.

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #359 on: May 23, 2014, 09:00:18 AM »
This all happened in just the past 6 months:
Whether or not something happens is obviously conjecture but Japan is certainly getting ready for something.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:chinacry :japancry :usacry
[close]