Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII Remake |OT| The Unknown Journey Will Continue  (Read 136578 times)

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Re: Final Fantasy VII Remake
« Reply #720 on: April 06, 2020, 02:16:16 PM »

As far as I can tell this deviates a lot from the original at certain important plot specific points.

ok. and?
fat

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #721 on: April 06, 2020, 02:16:59 PM »
So now we wait another 5 years for the next game? I feared they'd do this part as just Midgar. How are you going to deal with marketing the next chapter? That seems a mess. Midgar is all sexy, and you follow that up with...Nibelheim? Yeah....

I'm hoping they lean into open world aspects vs this maximize high quality assets through sparse dungeons maxim
:9

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #722 on: April 06, 2020, 02:27:58 PM »
So now we wait another 5 years for the next game? I feared they'd do this part as just Midgar. How are you going to deal with marketing the next chapter? That seems a mess. Midgar is all sexy, and you follow that up with...Nibelheim? Yeah....

I'm hoping they lean into open world aspects vs this maximize high quality assets through sparse dungeons maxim
I have serious doubts it'll have any kind of open world.

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #723 on: April 06, 2020, 02:29:06 PM »
The deviations that happen are insanely stupid, and they happen at the end. This is by and large a nostalgia stroker of a game.
OH!

mormapope

« Reply #724 on: April 06, 2020, 02:29:58 PM »

If you read the spoilers, you have your answer  :doge
OH!

Coffee Dog

« Reply #725 on: April 06, 2020, 02:47:39 PM »

There definitely isn't going to be an open world in the next game. Maybe the game begins in a big open area in order to tell marketing lies and fill trailers, but the purpose of making so many changes is so they arent boxed into making a game with a world map.

Square is a hallway company. They make hallway games now, and have for a decade.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #726 on: April 06, 2020, 03:02:46 PM »
11, 12, 14, and 15 all had huge open areas but ok

i don't think they'll go with open world either. 15 was still a fairly small map compared to how big 7's would need to be, and there's just no reason to waste time filling it out when there's enough content to build from already.
pcp

Himu

« Reply #727 on: April 06, 2020, 03:05:29 PM »
11, 12, 14, and 15 all had huge open areas but ok

They make hallway games now, and have for a decade.

Release date: May 16, 2002

Release date: March 16, 2006

Current year: 2020

They make hallway games now, and have for a decade.
IYKYK

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #728 on: April 06, 2020, 03:20:32 PM »
I think there will be a more open world/roadtrip theme sorta like XV because:

* From a marketing POV, or just a cohesion POV, they need something to set each game apart from the previous one, tie it together, and give people something to be excited about. It can't just be "here's a random collection of locations and events you might remember from the original FF7 and some random new stuff, kthxbye, see you next time". They want each installment to be treated like a brand new numbered FF, which probably means not only new story elements but also new game systems, etc. For the second game an overworld is a good vehicle for this.

* The most important reason :P : Nomura is evidently using the FF7 remake (and apparently KH4 lol) as a way to revisit ideas from his version of FFversus13. The road trip/overworld aspect of FFXV was a carryover from the original Versus concepts, and in fact it was envisioned as a modern version of the "road trip chasing Sephiroth" section from FF7 which was originally Nomura's idea BTW, so here's his chance to give us his take on the road trip concept and show us how he'd have done it better than Tabata did.  :P
QED

Coffee Dog

« Reply #729 on: April 06, 2020, 03:54:37 PM »
Ehh, without delving into spoilers I'm not seeing the vXIII connection. In Kingdom Hearts it's overt and undeniable to the point of including versus Noctis. If Nomura wanted to talk about Versus through ReMake some similarly blatant shit would happen.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #730 on: April 06, 2020, 04:09:34 PM »
 :yuck
What

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #731 on: April 06, 2020, 04:19:01 PM »
spoiler (click to show/hide)
KINGDOM HEARTS

FINAL FANTASY 7

NEON GENESIS EVANGELION REBUILD 1.11

FINAL FANTASY VERSUS XIII

KINGDOM HEARTS 3

THE WORLD ENDS WITH YOU

FINAL FANTASY 7 REMAKE

FINAL FANTASY XV

9/11

WHAT DO THESE THINGS ALL HAVE IN COMMON ?
[close]

...They're all disasters?

I haven't played It's a Wonderful World/The World Ends With You before Himu starts
[close]

Tasty

« Reply #732 on: April 06, 2020, 05:20:05 PM »
Xehanort Xanatos :nope

Master of Masters Xanatos :ohyeah

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #733 on: April 06, 2020, 05:50:22 PM »
I guess the texture work that shows up later in the game is also nostalgia bait. Some pristine ps1-era textures.

"Wow, look at the slums down below."

Amazing! A low quality jpg. :)

« Reply #734 on: April 07, 2020, 11:28:59 AM »
FINALLY got a ship date for my Amazon preorder. I can live with not getting it until the 14th.
野球

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #735 on: April 08, 2020, 08:11:44 AM »
Got my deluxe edition today  :-[ :-[ :-[

Svejk

« Reply #736 on: April 08, 2020, 09:22:41 AM »
Can't wait to hear the remix of Under the Rotting Pizza track.   :lawd  I know it's up on youtube, but I gotta hold off to hearing it in game first.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #737 on: April 08, 2020, 10:47:29 AM »
Kind of tempted to blast thru midgar tonight on 3x speed all cheats on in the ps4 version of the OG game just as a refresher  :hyper
(ice)

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #738 on: April 08, 2020, 11:42:30 AM »
Kind of tempted to blast thru midgar tonight on 3x speed all cheats on in the ps4 version of the OG game just as a refresher  :hyper

I did that on the switch recently. It's quite a big change so far. Not for the worse though, overall pretty cummy here 4 hours in.

Still think I prefer turn based combat though, and I am kind of sad that there isnt a proper turn based mode in this.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #739 on: April 08, 2020, 04:51:11 PM »
Amazon is now showing the regular and deluxe versions as available for pre-order again with the 4/10 release date.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #740 on: April 08, 2020, 06:33:39 PM »
Amazon is now showing the regular and deluxe versions as available for pre-order again with the 4/10 release date.

Thanks. Ordered mine.
IYKYK

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #741 on: April 08, 2020, 06:34:45 PM »
Should have released it 10/10, because that's what this game is. Changing those water filters baby.  :lawd

Rahxephon91

« Reply #742 on: April 08, 2020, 06:40:41 PM »
I don’t think you’re getting it on Friday if you order from Amazon now.0

Himu

« Reply #743 on: April 08, 2020, 06:59:22 PM »
I don’t think you’re getting it on Friday if you order from Amazon now.0

Definitely not. Will get it two days after the fact. That's fine.

I've been talking to a friend and taken her advice. It's best to just buy a game that interests you and not have any expectations. That way you can be surprised. And if it's bad, it's bad. And you learn and analyze why it's bad. Less heartache that way and it can lead to just enjoying games for what they are.

I have to accept that FF isn't really that series anymore and honestly likely never will be again. I'll treat it for what it is even if I, personally, would prefer something else.
IYKYK

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #744 on: April 08, 2020, 07:56:58 PM »
Amazon email says mine is not arriving till the 23rd... but lately Amazon stuff has been getting shipped to me a lot faster than what they say, so who knows? Anyways I have Builders 2 to keep me occupied in the meantime.
^_^

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #745 on: April 08, 2020, 07:58:50 PM »
Amazon is sold out again.

Amazon email says mine is not arriving till the 23rd... but lately Amazon stuff has been getting shipped to me a lot faster than what they say, so who knows? Anyways I have Builders 2 to keep me occupied in the meantime.

Mine still says the 14th, but yup, you never know- up until this game, every single thing I have ordered from them over the past month has come early.  That includes all video games which arrived 1-2 days before the release date. 
ど助平

bluemax

« Reply #746 on: April 08, 2020, 10:53:55 PM »
I gave up and ordered it digitally the other day. Not like I've re-sold a game in 20 something years anyhow.
NO

Svejk

« Reply #747 on: April 09, 2020, 07:17:57 AM »
Reading the physical install clocks in around an hour between both discs before you can even start Chapter 1.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #748 on: April 09, 2020, 08:12:58 AM »
why is the digi pre order theme locked til midnight :thinking
(ice)

Svejk

« Reply #749 on: April 09, 2020, 08:37:40 AM »
why is the digi pre order theme locked til midnight :thinking
The one with Cloud and Sephiroth?  Mines there and usable....  Or is that not it..?

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #750 on: April 09, 2020, 08:38:27 AM »
Nah thats it was saying it was locked yesterday  :doge

edit: :piss 10 hrs and 20 mins now :piss2
(ice)

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #751 on: April 09, 2020, 09:36:59 AM »
been listening to some tracks from ff8 and fuck the rest of 7 and need to remake 8 instead

That music remade and remixed with orchestras and shit :lawd
(ice)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #752 on: April 09, 2020, 09:53:56 AM »
That music remade and remixed with orchestras and shit :lawd

dog

Tasty

« Reply #753 on: April 09, 2020, 09:59:06 AM »
The new One Winged Angel goes hard. I'm a fan.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #754 on: April 09, 2020, 10:25:56 AM »
Listening to OST songs now. 24 hours baby let's get it
fat

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #755 on: April 09, 2020, 10:26:32 AM »
(ice)

« Reply #756 on: April 09, 2020, 11:19:54 AM »
Amazon charged me for my copy, says it will be here on the 14th. I'll be fine.
野球

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #757 on: April 09, 2020, 11:29:01 AM »
The new One Winged Angel goes hard. I'm a fan.

Not a patch on the ultimate version  ;)

(ice)

« Reply #758 on: April 09, 2020, 11:44:32 AM »
Outside of the demo and knowledge of the original game, I don't know anything about the remake. With that said, anyone else wonder if they'll try to incorporate any hints about Advent Children into this game? I really hope not.
野球

Himu

« Reply #759 on: April 09, 2020, 11:50:03 AM »
Outside of the demo and knowledge of the original game, I don't know anything about the remake. With that said, anyone else wonder if they'll try to incorporate any hints about Advent Children into this game? I really hope not.

Yes.
IYKYK

« Reply #760 on: April 09, 2020, 11:51:34 AM »
https://www.npr.org/2020/04/09/830474568/20-year-wait-is-over-final-fantasy-vii-remake-is-out-friday

Pleasant surprise on the radio this morning.

Yes.

Figured. I was going through some stuff yesterday and came across my copy of Advent Children Complete and was like "Huh, I bet they can't resist."

But still no Gackt, right?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 11:56:41 AM by Mr. Gundam »
野球

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #761 on: April 09, 2020, 12:55:44 PM »
Just got a shipping notification from Amazon- says delivery on Saturday.  Betting it's going to be tomorrow.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #762 on: April 09, 2020, 01:11:00 PM »
https://www.npr.org/2020/04/09/830474568/20-year-wait-is-over-final-fantasy-vii-remake-is-out-friday

Pleasant surprise on the radio this morning.

Yes.

Figured. I was going through some stuff yesterday and came across my copy of Advent Children Complete and was like "Huh, I bet they can't resist."

But still no Gackt, right?

Right.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #763 on: April 09, 2020, 01:19:35 PM »
Is it still worth checking out Crisis Core?
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #764 on: April 09, 2020, 01:23:05 PM »

No. Are you familiar with the Nibelheim story at all?
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #765 on: April 09, 2020, 01:25:00 PM »
Not going to post the spoilers unless someone wants them, but the game's ending is going to piss some people off quite a bit. 

If what I just saw is true, FFVII Remake's end is like the video game version of (spoiler-tagging this too just in case because it might give you some ideas as to what happens!)

Extra spoiler tag just in case!

Terminator Genisys.
[close]
[close]
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 01:31:15 PM by bork »
ど助平

« Reply #766 on: April 09, 2020, 01:27:05 PM »
Not touching that spoiler button. Tempting but nooooope.

I really liked Crisis Core. I played it back when it first came out so maybe I wouldn't feel the same now, but it was a lot of fun and the ending OH MAN.
野球

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #767 on: April 09, 2020, 01:27:12 PM »
 :leon

Himu

« Reply #768 on: April 09, 2020, 01:31:26 PM »
Everything important in Crisis Core is known capacity and already told in FFVII. Just watch it on youtube if the story is what you care about. In terms of play it's not that great. Enjoyable game if you're an FFVII fan but adds a lot of fluff too. So it's kind of a mixed thing.
IYKYK

mormapope

« Reply #769 on: April 09, 2020, 01:32:20 PM »
It's way dumber than people are ready for. The FFVII purists reactions are going to be delicious :lawd

Clever idea that's executed in a very not subtle way.
OH!

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #770 on: April 09, 2020, 01:40:38 PM »

No. Are you familiar with the Nibelheim story at all?

No idea what Nibelheim is!  My time with Final Fantasy in general is very brief.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #771 on: April 09, 2020, 01:43:18 PM »
I still don't like that they changed the bombing. Making Shinra bomb and destroy the reactor takes agency away from the cast. Barret is no different than Dyne and Avalanche going from destroying life by killing innocent people in retribution to saving life by sacrificing their lives to save the world is a major character transition.

It was probably done to soften the terrorism angle. Can't have characters being terrorists in post-9/11 I guess.

I'll probably be fine with the changes as long as they don't take even more agency from the cast.
IYKYK

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #772 on: April 09, 2020, 02:10:10 PM »
The OG heavily implied that Shinra was involved :yeshrug

Svejk

« Reply #773 on: April 09, 2020, 02:13:59 PM »
I was onboard with CC, until that first battle which introduced the slot machine mechanic thing...  after that,  :camby

Himu

« Reply #774 on: April 09, 2020, 02:15:11 PM »
The OG heavily implied that Shinra was involved :yeshrug

Where and when?

I mean, Jessie says she messed up the bomb and that she was surprised by the blast radius. Are you talking about that?
IYKYK

Freyj

« Reply #775 on: April 09, 2020, 02:22:26 PM »
As someone who hasn’t really enjoyed anything to come out of Square Enix but Dragon Quest and the MMO in more than a decade I’m having a hard time deciding if I want to dive in on this or not. I don’t really care about story changes although what I’ve spoiled sounds dumb even by Kingdom Hearts standards.

I guess I liked FFXIII-2...

I dunno it’s weird to be so apathetic about a remake of Final Fantasy VII. My teenage self would be disgusted.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #776 on: April 09, 2020, 02:22:51 PM »
That (though what Jessie says is more like "wtf was this. I guess I made a mistake or something"), the fact that Shinra clearly wanted for shit to happen to make Neo-Midgar, and the fact that they clearly had their eyes on Avalanche, since they knew exactly about the 2nd bombing run etc.

I always thought Shinra deliberately let it all happen, so it's not exactly a stretch that they could have actually given that explosion a little help.
As far as the characters are concerned in the remake, they still think they caused that massive explosion anyway :yeshrug

Himu

« Reply #777 on: April 09, 2020, 02:24:57 PM »
That (though what Jessie says is more like "wtf was this. I guess I made a mistake or something"), the fact that Shinra clearly wanted for shit to happen to make Neo-Midgar, and the fact that they clearly had their eyes on Avalanche, since they knew exactly about the 2nd bombing run etc.

I always thought Shinra deliberately let it all happen, so it's not exactly a stretch that they could have actually given that explosion is little help.
As far as the characters are concerned in the remake, they still think they caused that massive explosion anyway :yeshrug

That is not heavily implied though. It's your interpretation and I can see where you're coming from.

I prefer the "let them interpret it" take rather than outright explicitly stating "this happened."
IYKYK

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #778 on: April 09, 2020, 03:06:41 PM »
The Wall Market section is fantastic. Everything else in the game was just merely okay to me. This was great.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #779 on: April 09, 2020, 03:22:58 PM »
sounds more enjoyable than RE3
fat