Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII Remake |OT| The Unknown Journey Will Continue  (Read 134609 times)

Rahxephon91

Final Fantasy VII Remake |OT| The Unknown Journey Will Continue
« on: September 11, 2019, 05:24:06 PM »

I think I might give it a shot now after seeing this. :obama

- DON CORNEO

- Aerith is a flirt and not just a crappy damsel. She’s got the PS1 version sass :gladbron

- SQUATS :gladbron

- toaded :lawd

There’s no point in being a cynic all the time. This looks good. :obama

They proved me wrong and seem to have managed to transition VII’s personality to the new remake which I didn’t  think remotely possible.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 08:07:53 PM by Great Rumbler »

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
ni no kuni remaster>

Akala

• Easy Victor
 :lol

looks aight, better than expected.

Coffee Dog

The combat still looks slow and clunky for an action game. Reminds me of FFXV, whereas I was hoping that this game would learn more from the speed of Kingdom Hearts (much closer to an actual action game).

Mashing X to hit attack on command menus has turned to mashing square to hit baddies, yet mashing through turn based combat wastes a whole lot less time.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
I’m going to continue to never play this series

nachobro

• Live Más
if its the final fantasy why are there seven of them?:rodney

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
Looks like they did a good enough job of keeping the atmosphere of the original; still would much prefer the menu driven combat of the original as well. Glad to see Don Corneo is still in, as well as the Frog spell.. definitely a big improvement over XV.
^_^

Rahxephon91

I find KH combat to feel very floaty. The hits never feel good.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
I like that it still has the goofiness that was in the original, instead of making it all super serial like most of the FF7 spinoff stuff.
dog

Himu

I like that it still has the goofiness that was in the original, instead of making it all super serial like most of the FF7 spinoff stuff.

I completely agree!
IYKYK

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
Re: New Final Fantasy VII TGS trailer that looks like the other trailers is out!
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2019, 07:16:03 PM »
if its the final fantasy why are there seven of them?:rodney

:rolleyes I'm sure you know this and are just trying to be cute, but it's a game where you play as the final incarnation of the Fantasy VII squad, not the seventh in some series of "Final Fantasy" games.
QED

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
Re: New Final Fantasy VII TGS trailer that looks like the other trailers is out!
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2019, 08:01:03 PM »
I barely played the original, but this trailer was very intriguing.

Are the red head guy and his buddies originally from Advent Children, or were they also in the base game?

Himu

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2019, 08:24:33 PM »

Are the red head guy and his buddies originally from Advent Children, or were they also in the base game?

In base game
IYKYK

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2019, 08:59:39 PM »
I mentioned in the other thread but I still like how VII's whole second half, or whatever, stays kinda preserved for newbs to it as people focus on Aeris.

Though I remember once reading years ago in a magazine that Sony did a survey and found that tons of the people who bought it never even finished the first disc. And lots of people bought it thinking it was an action game. I assume it flooded the Software Etc./EB Games/etc. that soon were fused into GameStops.

Chooky

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2019, 09:02:12 PM »
they damn well better keep the late-game part where giant kaiju appear and fuck up civilization. one of the most underrated parts of the original.

Himu

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2019, 09:09:12 PM »
I mentioned in the other thread but I still like how VII's whole second half, or whatever, stays kinda preserved for newbs to it as people focus on Aeris.

Though I remember once reading years ago in a magazine that Sony did a survey and found that tons of the people who bought it never even finished the first disc. And lots of people bought it thinking it was an action game. I assume it flooded the Software Etc./EB Games/etc. that soon were fused into GameStops.

Yeah I had no idea what an role playing game even was not that FFVII was one at the time. It was new for me and can see how it turned others off.

IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2019, 09:22:57 PM »

I don't recall people complaining about the genre from those days, but I do remember getting lots of copies traded in because "the game didn't look like the commercials!"  IIRC it showed nothing but FMV cut scenes and was one of the first games to do this.

Also remember selling tons of Japanese copies of Tobal 1 for the FFVII demo- some people would even buy it, take out the demo disc, then sell the game right back to us.  :lol   That happened again years later with Zone Of The Enders and the MGS2 demo.
ど助平

benjipwns

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2019, 09:31:35 PM »
Tobal 2 didn't come out in the U.S. because Square felt it only sold due to the demo disc. At the time it was never mentioned the way you described it, but I bet that had a lot to do with how they decided that.

Yeah, the commercials were all FMV or cutscenes:

OVER TWO YEARS IN THE MAKING

Himu

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2019, 09:34:31 PM »
That commercial was amazing to me
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2019, 09:43:52 PM »
Tobal 2 didn't come out in the U.S. because Square felt it only sold due to the demo disc. At the time it was never mentioned the way you described it, but I bet that had a lot to do with how they decided that.

To note, I worked at a mom n' pop game store that was the only import (and before it became the norm in all game stores, one of the few places where you could trade and sell games) store in the whole state, if not the entire region at the time.  We'd have people driving in from all over the place just to buy the latest Japanese games so these were the hardcore-crazy types doing stuff like selling games after taking the demos out.

Tobal 2 was a huge import game and was a showcase title for the PS1- it's insane that it never got localized.  It came out alongside Starfox 64 (Japan) and even the usual crazy will-happily-drop-$150+ on N64 imports types stopped to marvel at how good Tobal 2 looked in comparison.  That higher res and 60 FPS was amazing.
:lawd

Yeah, the commercials were all FMV or cutscenes:

OVER TWO YEARS IN THE MAKING
That commercial was amazing to me

IIRC this also was first shown during one of the MTV award shows, back when those were a really big deal.  It made Square's popularity absolutely explode and after that all their new releases were really popular, regardless of quality.  That game is without a doubt the reason why RPGs finally got really popular in the west.
ど助平

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2019, 09:45:50 PM »
I like how the one commercial spoils Aerith's death. :lol
dog

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2019, 09:48:19 PM »
I like how the one commercial spoils Aerith's death. :lol

Maybe people thought she was being baptized.  :P
ど助平

benjipwns

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2019, 09:53:13 PM »
SquareEA existed because Square signed that deal with Sony to distribute their games in the US because they thought the games were going to sell like before, but then the FFVII hype drove everything, even stuff like Brave Fencer and Einhander (which I like but!) to huge sales and Square realized they were giving Sony too big of a cut. Then they started importing nearly everything even sequels to games where the originals never came out like Front Mission and Chocobo Dungeon.

At one point one of the Japanese companies nearly started importing Pachinko games. I think someone actually did do this now that I think about it. Surprisingly it didn't sell as well in the U.S. as say horse racing simulators where the horses have more polygons than a Gran Turismo car.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2019, 09:58:26 PM »
SquareEA existed because Square signed that deal with Sony to distribute their games in the US because they thought the games were going to sell like before, but then the FFVII hype drove everything, even stuff like Brave Fencer and Einhander (which I like but!) to huge sales and Square realized they were giving Sony too big of a cut. Then they started importing nearly everything even sequels to games where the originals never came out like Front Mission and Chocobo Dungeon.

At one point one of the Japanese companies nearly started importing Pachinko games. I think someone actually did do this now that I think about it. Surprisingly it didn't sell as well in the U.S. as say horse racing simulators where the horses have more polygons than a Gran Turismo car.

Square Electronic Arts, LLC, also known as Square EA, was a joint venture between Square and U.S. video game publisher Electronic Arts to distribute each other's games in North America and Japan respectively. Announced on April 27, 1998, Square EA was based in Costa Mesa, California and operated under the supervision of Square president and CEO Jun Iwasaki, and was responsible for publishing and marketing all games produced by Square in North America. Conversely, Electronic Arts Square, K.K., formed at the same time and based in Japan, was responsible for publishing and marketing games produced by Electronic Arts in Asia. Under the terms of the agreement, Electronic Arts owned 30 percent of Square EA, and Square owned 30 percent of EA Square.

Square EA proved to be very successful, and during its five years of existence released a higher proportion of localized Square titles to the American market than ever before. EA Square, on the other hand, was somewhat less successful, and struggled to make an impact on the Asian video game market, which has been traditionally difficult for American game developers to break into. During its five year run, EA Square handled the Japanese releases of games such as The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, Quake III: Team Arena, SSX and its sequel SSX Tricky, and various video games based on the Star Wars franchise. EA Square had also developed a game, X-Squad, which was released for the PlayStation 2 during its launch.

Following the announcement of the merger between Square and former competitor Enix in 2003, Square purchased back Electronic Arts' stake in Square EA, and folded it back into Square Soft, Inc., its North American subsidiary, which was subsequently renamed Square Enix U.S.A., Inc. (now Square Enix, Inc.) and continues to publish Square Enix's titles in North America. Conversely, EA did the same with Square's stake in EA Square, which was subsequently renamed Electronic Arts K.K., and continues to publish EA's titles in Japan.
:expert
ど助平

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2019, 09:59:19 PM »

Which company? I don't recall any pachinko games ever getting a US release... though all those Coconuts Japan pachinko games are usually dirt cheap at any import game store in here.
^_^

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2019, 10:03:52 PM »
Dunno, but searching found this masterpiece:

4:04  :lol
ど助平

benjipwns

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2019, 10:07:26 PM »
I wanna say it was a PS2 game, but you're right that they may have just unofficially imported Japanese copies in high numbers figuring anyone who would want it had a system to play it. Maybe it was one of those weird EU releases rather than US.

bluemax

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2019, 11:42:10 PM »
I remember when Square sent me a fucking V H S that was nothing but an advertisement for FF7 and TSW. I wonder if that VHS still exists at my parents house. I wonder if anyone uploaded it to Youtube or something.

Edit: They did!

NO

Himu

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2019, 02:00:21 AM »
Sony and Square putting the double spread ads in game mags was :mindblown

FF7 was the first game I can remember that can described as simply "everywhere". It had THE biggest marketing campaign I had seen by that point. Bigger than MKII's console release (which was massive) or even Donkey Kong Country. I'll never forget the feeling of opening that Christmas gift and getting FFVII. Fuck.

IYKYK

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2019, 02:25:14 AM »

Rman

« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2019, 01:36:37 PM »
Looks good. 

paprikastaude

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2019, 10:37:49 AM »
Looks like it will be like Crisis Core. Fun battles, unbearable cutscenes of Jpop soyboys doing annoying shit.

You know the good thing about FF7 is despite the edginess, it still felt close to the SNES games - thanks to the cartoony character portraits and chibi models outside of battles, no reliance on overboarding cinematics like today, among other things. I can't take Nomuras shitty ass Jpop starting with FF8 and Square needs to stop overproducing his shit - do a complete stilistical and budget overhaul like Capcom did with their major franchises. And cancel that stupid clown Nomura already. 7 will do great because of nostalgia (well, the first "episode"), but I can't imagine FF15 really paid off, considering the huge amount of marketing, extra shit like movies, endless development time, etc. His/their direction is a dead end.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 12:09:37 PM by Spieler1 »

Rahxephon91

« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2019, 01:40:49 AM »
It has a classic mode. So those complaining about it being action should be a bit happier.

Himu

« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2019, 04:36:51 AM »
Classic mode!

You’ve earned a purchase.
IYKYK

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2019, 05:47:37 AM »
Classic mode   :rejoice :rejoice :rejoice :rejoice :rejoice :rejoice :rejoice

SE, you got me again

Svejk

« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2019, 10:37:26 AM »
Do one of those vids show the classic mode?

Himu

« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2019, 03:47:45 PM »
watching the presentation. looking for classic mode and will report.
IYKYK

Coffee Dog

« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2019, 03:51:04 PM »
Classic mode is such marketing bullshit.  :lol it's just as halfassed and bolted on as you would expect. The game is exactly the same, the AI just mashes attack in your place. Wow, what a difference from default, it totally isnt an action game anymore.

FFXV would not suddenly have good combat if it regularly had "tactical pauses", it would still be a shitty ARPG that now is partially automated. This game is going to live or die by the combat, and if the combat is fun, why would you turn it off?

Himu

« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2019, 03:55:56 PM »
Classic mode is such marketing bullshit.  :lol it's just as halfassed and bolted on as you would expect. The game is exactly the same, the AI just mashes attack in your place. Wow, what a difference from default, it totally isnt an action game anymore.

FFXV would not suddenly have good combat if it regularly had "tactical pauses", it would still be a shitty ARPG that now is partially automated. This game is going to live or die by the combat, and if the combat is fun, why would you turn it off?

I enjoyed wait mode in FFXV far more than active, so it's something and I want to judge for myself rather than cynically be told something. Not that I doubt you're wrong.
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2019, 04:58:47 PM »
If anything it sounds like a less involved FFXII. But still semi more involved since no gambits.

Which is not how I’d want to play this game, but if it works as well as FFXII does then it could be a compromise.

I mean even though I’ve gotten into arguments with Cindi over this, it’s not like I prefer action combat. I never think action combat in rpgs is as good as a fully focused action game and it’s usually mash x and then press special button. I hope the atb stuff makes it a bit more tactical here.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 05:09:02 PM by Rahxephon91 »

Himu

« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2019, 05:09:00 PM »
My thing is. I don't play FF on wait mode. I don't like FF being full turn based and pauses unless it's designed for it (FF1-3, FFX). I LOVE active mode. Picking spells and stuff while an enemy is attacking you and having to heal on the fly is fun to me. That's why I love ATB. What I'm seeing here pauses the game. Why would I want the game to pause? ATB doesn't work that way unless it's on Wait and Wait mode is wack outside of FFXV.

Am I wrong about what this is?
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2019, 05:11:22 PM »
I really wish they'd release a demo for this so people can try it.

Can I go through a menu while battle is still happening? No pauses?

edit: turns out i was watching the E3 video and not TGS

edit: watching TGS. It's now called wait mode. What's active mode?

edit 2: I like that it automatically attacks like in FFXII. I would so happy if they remade FFVII with XII combat. My problem is the waiting. Can I make this active? Wait mode is for suckers and perverts.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 05:27:27 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2019, 05:35:49 PM »
I have to say. Is active mode the regular action mode? Because it looks much better and closer to traditional ATB FF. Pauses and waiting in FF. Disgusting.

edit: Okay Classic Mode looks good. But can I play classic mode and active mode? :thinking Either way. I'm impressed.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 05:51:33 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2019, 06:02:13 PM »

I liked this part a lot. It's a nice mix between menu based combat and action combat. It seems they're toeing a nice line here that FF has always had and wait mode didn't look terrible in this video like it did earlier in the walkthrough.

With a full party the game looks just another evolution of what XII started.

Gets my seal of approval.

:wow
IYKYK

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2019, 02:29:57 PM »

I liked this part a lot. It's a nice mix between menu based combat and action combat. It seems they're toeing a nice line here that FF has always had and wait mode didn't look terrible in this video like it did earlier in the walkthrough.

With a full party the game looks just another evolution of what XII started.

Looks like mostly an evolution of Lightning Returns combat to me (a very good thing), same designer apparently too
QED

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
dog

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
This is glorious with engrish subtitles.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
dog

Chooky

three months til release and they still haven't shown anything that didn't happen in the first couple hours of FFVII...

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
I hope I get to fuck Don Corneo
fat

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
I hope I get to fuck Don Corneo

QuickTime felatio
:9

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
three months til release and they still haven't shown anything that didn't happen in the first couple hours of FFVII...

Because Part 1 is set solely in Midgar and ends at the point in the story where you finally leave.
dog

Himu

"so keep your distance!"

Cloud sounds like a complete NERD

How the hell did we go from FFXII voice acting and scripting to this?!
IYKYK

Himu

Alexander O Smith should have been hired for this project
IYKYK

Chooky

Because Part 1 is set solely in Midgar and ends at the point in the story where you finally leave.

right, and i get that everything goes a bit slower in modern gaming, but that's still taking what was at most 10 hours of content and stretching it into however much more. i just figured there'd be a little bit more new stuff to show off.

Rahxephon91

Why? I don’t believe he’s an adr Director. Which is honestly the problem.

Square Enix’s English voice acting is so odd. FFXIV(now) and Dragon Quest all sound great. Probably because they use England based studios. But even things like Nier can sound great. Then you get the XIII games and this.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 03:58:40 PM by Rahxephon91 »

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
Tbf this latest trailer sounds less anime dub than the last one  :yeshrug
(ice)

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
Can't wait for the Tifa deepfakes :drool
:9

Himu

Why? I don’t believe he’s an adr Director. Which is honestly the problem.

Square Enix’s English voice acting is so odd. FFXIV(now) and Dragon Quest all sound great. Probably because they use England based studios. But even things like Nier can sound great. Then you get the XIII games and this.

Because AO Smith translated FFXII and X and has historically done a great job bringing these games to life in English. Not only is the VA direction lacking but so is the actual scripting, something AO Smith would have a direct part in. It's worth scratching your head over the fact that this is the most anticipated game SE has done in generations and they didn't get the best man for the job that has traditionally had a relationship with them in terms of presenting the game to English speaking audiences.

Maybe he was busy. I don't know.
IYKYK

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal