Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII Remake |OT| The Unknown Journey Will Continue  (Read 131801 times)

Himu

New age Square can't tell stories for shit. Just compare FF15 story (LMAO) and STORY EXECUTION (crucial) with Chrono Trigger, FF6 or even FF8 (complex) and Chrono Cross.

Modern Square ain't shit.

Square died when it became SE.

I can't think of a single good story made by the company besides Nier since the merger. I guess you can add DQVIII.

Unfortunately I'm old so in my head they're still Squaresoft even though their swan song was in 2001 (or arguably 2002 with KH). That was half my life time ago. Time to get over it. Lol
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

I can’t think of a modern JRPG with a good story outside of Final Fantasy XIV.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
Even if you ignore good pacing as a trait?

Tasty

Doesn't Ni No Kuni 2 start with you as the U.S. President dying in a nuclear holocaust only to wake up in Cutesy Eurojapanfantasyland de-aged to kiddy status?

That'd be my pick.

paprikastaude

Nier's narrative shits all over your Final Fantasy, even when it was still good  :lol  The problem isn't Square, but that hack Nomura who went way overboard with his poor style, yet became in charge, after PS1. FF7 Remake was always going to be like Crisis Core at best - very fun gameplay, graphics, but you'd die from cringe if you didn't step away during cutscernes.

Here's a good explanation why even something like the og character graphics actually made for a superior atmosphere compared to Nomura's overproduced shit j-pop.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 10:32:13 AM by Spieler1 »

Himu

Blaming Nomura for this is illogical.

XII, XIII all had flawed stories and had nothing to do with Nomura.

It's a company wide and now genre wide problem
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

Doesn't Ni No Kuni 2 start with you as the U.S. President dying in a nuclear holocaust only to wake up in Cutesy Eurojapanfantasyland de-aged to kiddy status?

That'd be my pick.
Ni No Kuni 1 and 2 are shit.

Tasty

I thought he was all up in FF13. :thinking

And didn't 12 suffer cause the writer had health issues? That's more of an extenuating circumstance.

Himu

I thought he was all up in FF13. :thinking

And didn't 12 suffer cause the writer had health issues? That's more of an extenuating circumstance.

Nomura just designed characters in XIII and did not write story nor did he direct.

Matsuno wrote all of XII and the story still sucked outside of a few bright spots. He was forced to change his original vision because SE execs wanted a younger protagonist.
IYKYK

Svejk

Damn... This comes too close to Cyberpunk (with my schedule).  Gonna have to skip launch on this. 
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Unless the demo totally sucks me in and I cave.
[close]

bluemax

So the demo is only the bombing mission?

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]
NO

Rahxephon91

Exploring Midgar? That would be the whole game!

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
I just realized that yes Part 1 is literally just midgar, but man they don't expand it much. Part 1 is short af hot damn.

This is already  confirmed.

No it wasn't, it was speculated. They talked about how they would expand it considerably but from what the leaks show they definitely haven't, which is not a bad thing to me. What sucks is part 1 only being the non expanded midgar. That's a short ass first part when the original was a full on sprawling JRPG. so it still fucking sucks.

Yes it is dude. It's months old.

https://www.gamesradar.com/final-fantasy-7-remake-midgar-only/

They confirmed it was just Midgar around E3 and I've been wondering in my head for months how in the fuck they were going to turn 5-6 hours into a full length game.

The Remake Midgar might end up being a lot more than the OG Midgar in Disk 1.

There's a whole bunch of dialogue referencing stuff that only came up waaaay later originally, and including Hojo and Zack, for instance...

it's not a "might" but a foregone conclusion. They've said as much.

The problem being that the original Midgar is 5-6 hours. Therefore they will be stretching something 5 hours long to full length. There will likely be padding. How they pull it off is what I'm curious to see.

I'm not sure what else you could possibly explore in Midgar.

We will just have to see.

If Square Enix had expertise with building and designing open worlds like RockStar or CD Projekt Red, Midgar would be a huge and dense city with tons of stories to be told. They don't tho. So I imagine the four hours spent on Midgar in FFVII is going to be stretched  out to 16-20 hours. Lots of added cutscenes, lots of Uncharted AAA moments, lots more combat.

I don't think a lot of people realize how small Midgar is in FFVII, both in scope and time spent there. The idea of taking a 4 hour chunk of a 40-50 hour game, and making a full game out of that, is still very very very stupid.

Rockstar basically spent this entire gen + to make Red Dead Redemption 2. It takes 40-50 hours to beat the game if you rush through it. It feels like a long ass journey. In many ways, it reminds me of some older and longer JRPGs.

Whereas FFVII Remake is gonna feel like 8/10's action game and 2/10's RPG. Final Fantasy should feel like a journey. The end of the journey in FFVII Remake? They fucking leave ONE city.

I imagine this well sell incredibly well and have decent critical reception, but I find the idea of breaking down a classic game into smaller parts, due to budgetary reasons most likely, tells you how committed Square Enix is with pushing the envelope. The answer is.....not at all.

I want reiterate that last point. The reason we aren't getting FFVII in it's entirety is due to budgetary and financial reasons. And most likely, analysts concluded selling FFVII Remake three times, even with huge drop offs is better financially than releasing a gigantic and expensive game.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 04:22:29 PM by mormapope »
OH!

Himu

Agreed in full Morma.

I said to Rah that in the past, when they made FFVII, square was made up of artists. No longer is that the case.

That said, let's have an open mind and hope to be proven wrong.
IYKYK

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
game looks fun regardless  :)
püp

Himu

Square's artists are about as high as you can get in the Japanese dev market, it's ridiculous to belittle them for that.

When I say artist I mean a creator with a message and something to say not production values.
IYKYK

mormapope

The original FFVII set the bar incredibly high for scale and the budget spent for a console RPG. At their peak in the 90's, Square was pretty close to Rockstar in how highly regarded their titles were and how they themselves pushed the envelope. What other console developer in the 90's pushed for large scale worlds to journey in? Nintendo with Oot and Majora's Mask?

The PS1 gen is when we got games like FFVII and Xenogears. Massive games, games that aren't and weren't perfect but at the time, pushed scope and scale of RPGs on consoles. Even when big, massive games were developed, there were still games like Parasite Eve, Front Mission, Vagrant Story, and Final Fantasy Tactics being made.

Square Enix's best published game this gen is Nier Automata (I haven't played FFXIV yet). And a lot of credit is due for Yoko Taro and Platinum games. And quite frankly, it feels like that game got a shoestring budget and it's a miraculous it's as good as it is.

FFVII Remake is stroking specific nostalgia triggers while having modern and flashy conventions. It's already not living up to FFVII's legacy of being a huge and bizarre journey thru the world of FFVII.

The legacy of FFVII are iconic character designs, a large and bizarre world that you journey thru, the outlandish and soap opera twists and turns of that journey, character moments and beats that happen throughout that 50 hour journey, and the pacing of all that as an overall game.

Final Fantasy is Final Fantasy when it's you and a gang of all types of personalities and backgrounds exploring the world together. There is room for that concept to grow.

Final Fantasy VII Remake is going to be an origin story of how a gang of characters come together and......that's it. 

I hold Square Enix up to incredibly high standards because they're a huge fish in this industry.  And unlike Capcom or Platinum, or hell, the God of War development team, I don't think they can make an action game with nearly the amount of replayability as those teams.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 05:15:03 PM by mormapope »
OH!

paprikastaude

Square's artists are about as high as you can get in the Japanese dev market, it's ridiculous to belittle them for that.

When I say artist I mean a creator with a message and something to say not production values.

bluemax

I mean it's a demo so? What would you want to have there? Exploring Midgard?

Yeah I don't know why I questioned it, that seems ample for the demo. Plus the person in that video got like 0 chests and just kinda rushed through.
NO

Himu

I don't know I think there is an extremely commendable art into expanding a few text bubbles into natural dialog.

In this bombing run, each character's dialog not only is perfect for their personality, but they also comment on the world building, they snipe at each other etc. And this doesn't just occur in cutscenes, but also as in-game remarks.

I think there's a real art into expanding story through dialog and worldbuilding.

I was replaying FF7 just the other week (through mobile  :doge ) and scenes like the massacre at Golden Saucer are just told through running through two screens. Marlene's deranged dad is given 20 seconds of shooting animations before peacing out. To tastefully expand these scenes would be pretty amazing to the source material.

Also, considering those who worked on the source material are working on this, and that there's dev interviews talking about how they wanted to revisit scenes and express their full vision, I can't wait to at least see how this new game setups the story.

As far as cost goes, I'm expecting to (probably) buy it at launch if there's good enough reviews, and I'm going to drop my $60 expecting RE2 Remake type of value/direction expanded across a 40 hour JRPG.

I'm not commenting on FFVIIr because I haven't played it and it's unfair to completely compare it as a complete work.

However, games like FF15, 13 are hugely flawed works. 13 in particular struggles like it's walking on tacs to figure out what it has to say. Gone is the industry pushing.

But I don't put SE entirely at blame. The jrpg genre is completely stagnant now. The most forward pushing games I've played of the genre came out over ten years ago - The World Ends With You and Nier.

Haven't played FF14 beyond the original ARR content so perhaps I stand uninformed, but given it is the genre I am most knowledgeable about the amount of excuses people make towards them these days just don't stick with me.
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

Whereas FFVII Remake is gonna feel like 8/10's action game and 2/10's RPG. Final Fantasy should feel like a journey. The end of the journey in FFVII Remake? They fucking leave ONE city.

THIS. A million times this.

Remember the JRPGs of the past? With dozens of towns?
Remember the "HD Towns are HARD!!!" excuse - nota bene from Square itself?

Hell, remember the 3 towns in FF15 (Lestallum, Insomnia, Altissa)?

Imagine getting excited for a $60 AAA JRPG in 2020 that has ONE FUCKING TOWN.
This is a dumb post.

I didn’t know a games value was measured on how many settings it takes place in.

I didn’t know JRPGs had the be world sprawling games. I guess Resonance of Fate and Persona games are bad.

No it couldn’t be that Midgar is expansive and detailed to extreme levels.

I think I’ll take a possible well realized Midgar over the one screen citites that populate even the golden age of rpgs.

Rahxephon91

THIS. A million times this.

Remember the JRPGs of the past? With dozens of towns?
Remember the "HD Towns are HARD!!!" excuse - nota bene from Square itself?

Hell, remember the 3 towns in FF15 (Lestallum, Insomnia, Altissa)?

Imagine getting excited for a $60 AAA JRPG in 2020 that has ONE FUCKING TOWN.
This is a dumb post.

I didn’t know a games value was measured on how many settings it takes place in.

I didn’t know JRPGs had the be world sprawling games. I guess Resonance of Fate and Persona games are bad.

No it couldn’t be that Midgar is expansive and detailed to extreme levels.

I think I’ll take a possible well realized Midgar over the one screen citites that populate even the golden age of rpgs.

Himu

Games like Persona and SMT are exceptions. Most rpgs, and the original FFVII included, lean heavily into being about the adventure of discovery and seeing new sights.

What Borys is talking about is a downgrade in terms of scope.
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

There’s no exceptions, JRPGs can do whatever the hell they want. It’s the same bullshit from people that can’t let go from how things use to be and even then look at things with rose tintied glasses.

Cities in JRPGs have sucked and been one screen areas where you do nothing. Very few of them are at all memorable. Midgar being one of the few. A game set in Midgar is in no way a mark of quaility or lack of it. Since none of us have played the game no one here can speak to how expansive or not it is. But I find it idiotic to think Midgar as a setting can’t feel like a world unto itself and feel like an adventure or full of discovery when pretty much the genre(Cyperpunk) this game pulls from is usually best when the setting(usually one city) itself is a character.

And yes HD towns are hard. This game isn’t an “HD Town” though and that’s the problem with you people, you keep awkwardly comparing it to the PS1 game. Durr Midgar is just disc one and only like 8 hours so Remake one is 8 hours. VII is on three discs so it’s going to be three hours. The scope of this game is not at all equal to a PS1 game made over 2 decades ago.

Himu

jrpgs can do whatever they want.

this does not change the fact that jrpgs that take place in only one city are vast, vast exceptions and the ones that pull them off as well as say, SMT, are even more rare.

The feel of adventure and journeying is tied to the RPG genre itself. This is perfectly achievable with one set location. TWEWY, multiple SMT games, Vagrant Story;etc already achieve that. The concern is that FFVII's original Midgar is extremely limited. Could they pull it off and make Midgar in VIIr have a feeling of adventure as in games like Vagrant Story? Certainly. But the game isn't out yet and the only thing people can do is speculate.
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

And there’s nothing that says that feeling can’t be captured different ways.

Himu

You're right. There can be alternative ways.

That doesn't mean Borys' criticism that SE are no longer industry pushers doesn't have merit.

Because, really, they aren't. Whether this bothers you or not is up to you.
IYKYK

mormapope

It's more like some people in this thread have very strong thoughts on design and world building. While others are buying into the idea that Square Enix is going to knock it out of the park with designing and building a city, something they have struggled with these past two gens.  :doge

What standards should Square Enix be held to? Is Liberty City from 2008 gonna be a more lively and well realized city than Midgar in 2020? Is that a reasonable expectation to have?

Why should JRPGs not be held to the same standards as other large scale games? If not scale, scope?

Novigrad from Witcher 3 could be it's own game. Saint Denis from RDR2 could be it's own game. I have nothing but skepticism and cynical thoughts about Square Enix's ability to match those two settings.

FfXV had cup of noodle sidequests, should we expect the same for Midgar in FFVII Remake?  :lol
OH!

Himu

It's more like some people in this thread have very strong thoughts on design and world building. While others are buying into the idea that Square Enix is going to knock it out of the park with designing and building a city, something they have struggled with these past two gens.  :doge

What standards should Square Enix be held to? Is Liberty City from 2008 gonna be a more lively and well realized city than Midgar in 2020? Is that a reasonable expectation to have?

Why should JRPGs not be held to the same standards as other large scale games? If not scale, scope?

Novigrad from Witcher 3 could be it's own game. Saint Denis from RDR2 could be it's own game. I have nothing but skepticism and cynical thoughts about Square Enix's ability to match those two settings.

FfXV had cup of noodle sidequests, should we expect the same for Midgar in FFVII Remake?  :lol

TBH you shouldn't even bother going that far.

Compare it to FFXII. How many massive cities, sleepy little hunter towns? Tons of content, massive verticality in architecture, multiple areas with their own seasons. Huge dungeons with enemies that creep, slurp, and go bump in the night. Over 100 hours of content.

All on a ps2 bluray released in 2006.

Hence why SE is no longer industry pushers. They settle for the doing the least amount of content. Single player FF has been in purgatory since the 2000's and when Sakaguchi left. They used to be a company of innovation. They put a mmo's worth of content and detail in a single player rpg. Where's that kind of ambition in modern Square Enix? Oh, we are remaking a 23 year old game and can only put out the first part that was originally 4-6 hours?

If this were any other franchise it would be laughed out the park.

But no, it's time for excuse making.

I'm looking forward to the game, but it's easy to see it for what it is. SE is a shadow of itself and I'm (semi) fine with it but I refuse to be in denial.
IYKYK

Himu

Actually, he's always defended FF7R. We've been going back and forth on this for years.
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

Rahx is just fixated on defending every japanese AAA game release this gen. This time he wants to die on FF7R hill.
Sure? I mean this is a pretty dumb and shallow insult...Should I not not be intersted in things like Resident Evil 2R, DMCV, Death Stranding, Gravity Rush 2, Bloodborne, and....well what other Japanese AAA games are there? Monster Hunter? I don't give a shit. MGS5? Awful game. Nintendo stuff? Fuck no. But hey if you want to call those games bad, well thats on you....

What we are talking about here is devaluation of scope.

We are now going to be restricted to one city. There is probably a way to make an interesting JRPG that is set in one building alone (with multiple rooms) but that does not scream adventure to me.
That's because people like you have a narrow minded and shallow idea of scope and ambition. For some unknown reason you want to compare this to an over 20 year old game and then think they should match up 1:1. Then think just because this game also doesn't have different multiple 1 screen screens or what you want to call towns that somehow that makes the game less ambitious in scope. When in reality for all you know this Midgar will be bigger in scope than anything in the original game. More expansive and detailed then anything comparable. But you get stuck on "durr it's one city" and internet memes that lack any understanding of game development "like durr HD Towns are hard". when in reailty you have no idea how big in scope this Midgar will be.  How much land mass and environments it will include.

Of course you'll want to compare this too Rockstar and Rockstar is probably the only other company thats creating something akin to whatever Square is doing. But you'll also forgot the scale of the world they go for is different. Where one city block is highly detailed window dressing for you to quickly drive past. Where if anything Midgar will probably have the scale of something like the Yakuza games. Where one city block will be a very important landmass to travel through. No doubt the world will be more detailed. But then people like you also forgot things like animation, texture detail, texture rendering, ai and npc managment, lighting and so on. Things that Square is pushing to the cutting edge to bring about a Midgar never seen before. And that is epic to me. Midgar is a fantastic setting and it's going to be epic to see in rendered unlike anything possible before.

You want to say games are constrained. Fine. But I also don't care that Skyrim is smaller then whatever the 2nd Elder Scrolls game is when Skyrim's world feels far more brought to life with all the detail the game has. And I don't even like Skyrim as many of the environments do feel copied and pasted.

Oh no the Witcher 3 had less choices then Witcher 1. Who cares when the game world was as amazing as it was. When character models had a lot of emotion in thier animation. I don't. Presentation matters and while people like Cindy want to throw a nebulous idea like "Square has no ambition" or whatever that is impossible to argue against. I fail to see how anyone can say that. Fine they aren't trend setters, but I mean I don't agree with that when the FF series and Square games in general do thier own thing and haven't had to become super anime or pantyshot shit. They still have some integrity. They still produce games that look outward and not inward. You want to say Remake lacks ambition. Fine. But you have a game using cutting edge technology to recreate one of the most iconic games imaginable. And they decided to do more then any other company would have. You people easily could have just gotten I don't know something with the scales of Tales game. Meh character models in whatever environments and cities that are basically one screen backgrounds. very exciting, but instead Square is going further then that. But I guess that lacks ambition because the first part is just Midgar. Well whatever.

And lol at using Assassins Creed as some shinning examples. Oh boy they create boring ass landmass that lack any character and in the end blur together.

Also Dragon Quest XI is your example. Yeah its a good looking game with good production values. It doesn't look anything close to the scale of VIIR. Oh boy I guess its got rather small cities with-4 buildings each connected by somewhat open zone environments. And this is my point entirely, you hear "it's just Midgar" and don't actually think past that.

nachobro

• Live Más
we don't get many aaa jrpgs these days so kinda gotta take what you can get. but, like death stranding, the ps4 people can beta test it for us pc/xbone folks :D

Svejk

I dunno.. Seeing Cloud dance like a fairy did not raise my hopes on this Remake.

Rahxephon91

I made a clear point of what feels wrong about FF7R and gave you some examples. I did not use any memes because I do not need memes to explain my thoughts.
No...I feel explained why I think your points were wrong. The game does not seem constrained regardless that it's taking place in Midgar as the Midgar they look to be making looks beyond and scale and detail of certainly any other jrpg. You want to use an example in DQXI, but the world of that game does feel smaller compared to VIII and contains small cities of couple of buildings and a few npcs. But it's fine, because DQ is still a game that wants you the player to fill in the blanks. But, clearly that is not the goal for Midgar in VIIR. They want Midgar to be an environment that doesn't leave with any imagination when you walk the streets of it. The more realistic proportionate art direction and scale of the city is going to make you feel like it's an actual thing. So I don't see how it feels constrained simply because in this Part Midgar is getting lavish attention. Your only point is simply you hearing it takes place in Midgar, but you haven't actually given any thought to how dense that game environment could be.

You wrote a 3000 word essay addressing those examples but not my point.
I guess I don't know what your point is then. Because you are not all explaining how it's a devaluation in scope beyond "oh it's in one city and not a world adventure anymore. There's no point because you want to ignore that it's possible Midgar itself is bigger in scope then anything else. Your examples only rely on the fact that they are big landmass open games. Oh boy Assassin's Creed has a big open environment....that on a surface level impresses. But when you get to the ground of those cities, they lack real detail and scale. Yes, lots of geometry, little character to it. Which is fine, because the environments in those games are meant to offer a world to traverse. Not nessciairly feel like a lived in world.

I think you need to chillax a bit and think outside the box for a moment.
I don't know, it seems like you need to look outside your cynical worldview to me.

The direction Square is taking with FF7R is not a good direction for jRPG fans.
To you? What direction are they taking it? Giving them a game with amazing production values and probably a better realized game world then any other jrpg this gen? Oh but because it's one city in the premise that devalues that? That doesn't make any sense to me. Again, to me you seem to not understand that one setting does not have to be a detriment to anything.

I get it, world traversal adds to a sense of adventure. Its why I like FFX despite it being super linear. But I will also say often in jrpgs, locations can feel underdeveloped. A FFVII Part 1 that is just a super developed Midgar is not 100% bad to me. Especially since it is Midgar. This would not work for any other FF game.

That new Pokemon Sword and Shield takes you to plenty of cities and different environments. All of them pretty forgettable. Except the last city. If that whole game took place in a multiple districts large scale London for you to travel around multiple districts and neighborhoods I would have been fine.   
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 12:11:30 AM by Rahxephon91 »

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
I'll play this eventually once it's actually finished on a PS5 or a whatever the fuck they end up calling the new XBOX.
Hi

Svejk

It is a bit concerning too that they still haven't finalized whether this will be 2 or 3 parts yet.  :doge

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
2 parts? :lol

No way it'll less than 3. Could easily be 4.

Svejk

Does this entry hold that much merit to drop up to $240 to play though?  Granted if there were 4 entries all at $60 a pop...  I'd rather wait for a "complete series" edition for under $100.  I dunno... I can't help but get some Shenmue vibes from all this... Too ambitious to actually complete.

paprikastaude

World Ends With You is in a single city and it's good. So is Yakuza.  :doge  But then again, it actually can't be too long, otherwise there'd be a 100 hour game collection in the end? Not that this was ever going to have the adventure vibes of the og to begin with. All FF7 media (and FF in general) after the original under Nomura - or whatever clown responsible, except for FF12 - has shown that. It was clear that this wouldn't have ever focused on adventure and saving the planet from evil companies. They'll double down on the pseudo-science babble of why shitty J-Pop soyboys with angel wings are really sad and stoic.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 05:59:15 PM by Spieler1 »

Rahxephon91

I don't think I can take someone who uses soyboy un-ironically seriously.

I’ve honestly gone from thinking that this project was a dumb joke that should have just stayed a fanboy dream to being cautiously excited to revisit Midgar. I think my main reservation is just that I’m not sold that there’s a solid underlying business model here. Like unless the development is really streamlined and there’s a solid, well thought through plan my (admittedly based on amateur projections) assumption is that entry one does well, then entry two suffers from higher next gen expectations and ordinary bumps in the road to come in late and over budget. Then the future of the whole thing is in jeopardy. It doesn’t help to me that your market cap is basically limited not just to people that bought the last iteration, but bought and completed it.

If I’m wrong then great. But it’s just easy for me to imagine this being like a 10 year clusterfuck that implodes halfway through.

bluemax

Have any of you guys played SaGa Scarlet Grace?
NO

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
I don't think I can take someone who uses soyboy un-ironically seriously.

"Bloodstained and cracked from many battles" is "calm and resolved from a 1000 fights" tier. :lol

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
The soy thing has been pretty thoroughly debunked

Hi

Himu

Have any of you guys played SaGa Scarlet Grace?

no but hear great things
IYKYK

Himu

If this is a 10 hour long game, put a fork in FF - it'll be done. Everything is riding on the remake. They're even delaying FF16 for it.
IYKYK

Himu

If this is a 10 hour long game, put a fork in FF - it'll be done. Everything is riding on the remake. They're even delaying FF16 for it.

Nah it won't. After three FF13's, a disastrous FF14 launch, and FF15 being incomplete by most regards do you really think anything is killing FF outright?

Shit has a bigger dedicated fanbase than 95% of other franchises, especially japanese ones. Shit will outlive anything. While I may be disappointed in FF7 being split up into parts I will say the leaks mostly got me excited to play it.

FF almost died with FFXIV and FFXIII's, though. XIV OG almost bankrupted the company. FF13LR sold less than FFX HD.

FFVIIR is their most anticipated game release of all time. If they bungle it like XIII or XIV, they'll be in trouble and consumer confidence probably won't return. This isn't just some regular FF release. It's something people have requested since the Sony ps3 conference in 2005. 15 years. If it sucks, they're playing with fire.

Their only real positive lights in the last ten years with the franchise are FFXV and XIV ARR sales.
IYKYK

Himu

XIV ARR and LR came out at the same time.

FFVIIR will undoubtedly be a success. But will Part 2 if Part 1 sucks? I think you're discounting how much people are horny for a good single player FF. Not every FF player likes MMO's, and FFVIIR to most people is a safe bet. You're just now discovering in this thread the game only has Midgar. Imagine if you get FFVIIR and beat it in 10 hours after waiting for 15 years. :lol

That could do more damage to the franchise than XIII did.

S-E really are playing with fire.
IYKYK

Svejk

I believe they confirmed long ago that this installment is a full fledged "stand alone" 30-50 hour RPG.  But I'll believe it when I see it.. TBH, I'd be totally ok with a 10-12 experience.  Gots to move onto other gems coming this year.

Himu

I believe they confirmed long ago that this installment is a full fledged "stand alone" 30-50 hour RPG.  But I'll believe it when I see it.. TBH, I'd be totally ok with a 10-12 experience.  Gots to move onto other gems coming this year.

They said it'll be a full length game. So if this really is 10 hours, RIP.
IYKYK

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
I remember back in '99 when Parasite Eve came out and people were shocked and outraged when it took 5-10 hours to beat (it was initially promoted as the next progression from FF7) but that game seems to be mostly well regarded now in retrospect so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
QED

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
https://i.imgur.com/ALvgPcl.mp4

So this... is the power... of FF7: Remake™

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
It feels like some modern JRPGS would be considered that short of you just stuck to the story and nothing else. If it takes that long to complete with exploration, then I'd be underwhelmed. If it takes that long to play through Midgar strictly? That sounds like an ok number to me.
:9

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
I AM OUTRAGED THAT THIS GAME WILL TAKE X HOURS TO COMPLETE
dog

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
https://i.imgur.com/ALvgPcl.mp4

So this... is the power... of FF7: Remake™

That looks like the "Classic" turn-based mode, no?

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
I AM OUTRAGED THAT THIS GAME WILL TAKE X HOURS TO COMPLETE
X is less hours than i wanted! square are denying me Y units of fun! i will compensate with Z shitposts!

Himu

Part 1 will sell

Part 2 though. If part 1 sucks I see a big drop off.
IYKYK

mormapope

I love how confident people are that this will be a great game regardless of length :lol

I remember back in '99 when Parasite Eve came out and people were shocked and outraged when it took 5-10 hours to beat (it was initially promoted as the next progression from FF7) but that game seems to be mostly well regarded now in retrospect so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Parasite Eve was also an adaptation of a novel. I'd wager it was easier to take that source material and play around with it, versus taking the source material of a goofy and convulted 50 hour anime as fuck JRPG,

OH!

bluemax

I wonder what percentage of people went back and replayed FFXV or even just the end portions after they redid it?

I think the sales of part 2 depend upon how many years it takes for it to come out. Like yeah, if it is a multi year wait to pay for a $60 part 2 of X, then that's gonna not go well. But if its like Yakuza games or something where they shit them out every 6 months, then maybe it is less bad?

I think Square has gotten more diversified and better at budgeting such that one project can't fully sink them again.
NO

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
It’s square, the next part will spend 5 years in development hell, there’s no way they’ll shit it out quickly  :doge
(ice)