Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII Remake |OT| The Unknown Journey Will Continue  (Read 134758 times)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Re: New Final Fantasy VII TGS trailer that looks like the other trailers is out!
« Reply #300 on: February 23, 2020, 07:22:30 AM »
I’m going to continue to never play this series

FF Tactics is worth playing.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
Re: New Final Fantasy VII TGS trailer that looks like the other trailers is out!
« Reply #301 on: February 23, 2020, 11:16:04 AM »

:respect

Absolutely fantastic game.

bluemax

NO

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #303 on: February 27, 2020, 03:30:05 AM »

But the start with the snowball fight is so boring
What

Himu

« Reply #304 on: February 27, 2020, 03:31:16 AM »

But the start with the snowball fight is so boring

Please leave.
IYKYK

MMaRsu

• Administrator
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
Re: Final Fantasy VII Remake
« Reply #306 on: March 02, 2020, 03:14:02 AM »
Demo is out on PSN!!

GOGOGOGO
What

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #307 on: March 02, 2020, 03:16:56 AM »
Dammit I'm working pretty much until Wednesday. I want my cloud now

Svejk

« Reply #308 on: March 02, 2020, 08:02:49 AM »
Working till Friday.  Fucking assholes... Who drops a demo Monday morning?. Guess better than nothing.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #309 on: March 02, 2020, 09:35:43 AM »
Demo is out on PSN!!

GOGOGOGO

NOW'S THE TIME
THE TIME IS NOW
dog

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #310 on: March 02, 2020, 10:20:02 AM »
No point playing it. Game comes out in a month. Might as well wait
fat

Svejk

« Reply #311 on: March 02, 2020, 10:41:51 AM »
I need to try it first ... Still trying to justify whether I want to drop $60 on it now or wait.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #312 on: March 02, 2020, 10:52:57 AM »
dog

Svejk

« Reply #313 on: March 02, 2020, 11:12:58 AM »
Note to publishers:  if you release a demo, you drop it right on a Friday when a lot of consumers get paid and have beer money... weekend pumped, alcohol fueled folks = better chance of them splurging for pre-orders.   :rollsafe

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #314 on: March 02, 2020, 11:33:22 AM »
I don't think they're worried about it- it's Final Fantasy.  They've been taking pre-orders for months already.  :doge
ど助平

Coffee Dog

« Reply #315 on: March 02, 2020, 12:06:16 PM »
"Classic" mode sets the difficulty to easy. Easy's description is "a mode for people that want to skip the fights"

Nothing more classic than treating the majority of the game as an afterthought.  :lol

Game's starting proper, so I'll see you guys in an hour I guess. For the bombing mission.  :lol

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #316 on: March 02, 2020, 12:12:01 PM »
No point playing it. Game comes out in a month. Might as well wait

This is where I am. Rather have it all be fresh
:9

Svejk

« Reply #317 on: March 02, 2020, 12:50:51 PM »
I don't think they're worried about it- it's Final Fantasy.  They've been taking pre-orders for months already.  :doge
"You want demo? .. Now that you working all week, here it is!   Prease understand!"

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #318 on: March 02, 2020, 01:05:28 PM »
Good, I can try it for free, affirm that I hate the combat system, and feel good about not buying it

:rejoice
yar

Coffee Dog

« Reply #319 on: March 02, 2020, 01:25:16 PM »
Well, it was what I thought. It feels 4x too long, the combat is a slog, and the dodge and block are woefully, tragically limited compared to other action games. Cloud literally just has a mash square and an aoe attack and thats all outside ATB, which is a terribly undersized moveset for what should be a 30 hour title. All additional exposition harms the pacing, rather than helps. The brevity of the original sequence was one of its biggest strengths.

Glad I had the demo to confirm what I feared, I just hope they make significant changes to the later entries. Leaning harder into the action game stuff would be a huge benefit, because right now it does feel like "kill time until the meter is full"
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 01:40:20 PM by Coffee Dog »

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #320 on: March 02, 2020, 01:35:53 PM »
Sounds shit

Himu

« Reply #321 on: March 02, 2020, 01:37:43 PM »
Combat has always been my number one fear. DLing now.
IYKYK

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #322 on: March 02, 2020, 01:47:38 PM »
There was a time id buy a console for a ff7 remake, now i sold my ps4 knowing this was coming

I blame ff13

Coffee Dog

« Reply #323 on: March 02, 2020, 01:48:48 PM »
Even more than just the combat, having Jessie's dialogue be bloated with flirts or Barret flip out about the planet like three times in the middle of walking through an exciting laser grid is just a waste of time and my brain space. The additional time isnt used to deepen the characters, it's used to restate what was one line in the original across a few paragraphs. It's damning as to what square really means when they say that it's a "bigger" version of midgar. It's a whole lot bigger all right. Big and full of...whatever, apparently

Himu

« Reply #324 on: March 02, 2020, 01:50:57 PM »
There was a time id buy a console for a ff7 remake, now i sold my ps4 knowing this was coming

I blame ff13

Don't worry. I will have a full breakdown  with gameplay clips.

*gets out microscope*

IYKYK

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #325 on: March 02, 2020, 02:21:25 PM »
Just fired this up and :lawd

If there is a proper RPG worth of game in this then my dick is so hard :rash
(ice)

Himu

« Reply #326 on: March 02, 2020, 02:42:44 PM »
This was god awful. There is no redeeming quality besides the graphical upgrade. Even the music sounds like shit. No buy.
IYKYK

Coffee Dog

« Reply #327 on: March 02, 2020, 03:02:06 PM »
I do appreciate that they give you like 20 potions to mitigate the fact that everyone is going to blow a bunch realizing the dodge is fucking horrible and nearly useless compared to block. :lol

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #328 on: March 02, 2020, 03:06:13 PM »
Seeing people hate on the demo kind of makes me wanna play it. I love hate-playing games.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #329 on: March 02, 2020, 03:22:42 PM »
Was FF7 lifeless? No

Coffee Dog

« Reply #330 on: March 02, 2020, 03:23:26 PM »
Even more than just the combat, having Jessie's dialogue be bloated with flirts or Barret flip out about the planet like three times in the middle of walking through an exciting laser grid is just a waste of time and my brain space. The additional time isnt used to deepen the characters, it's used to restate what was one line in the original across a few paragraphs. It's damning as to what square really means when they say that it's a "bigger" version of midgar. It's a whole lot bigger all right. Big and full of...whatever, apparently
This isn't remotely indicative of the demo.

Of course characters are going to interact /more/ because it would be a pretty lifeless game is they only chatted 2/3 times within the run like in the original run.

But the characters do express lots of nuance in this very small demo, and it's very well-written in that it's understated. Something you apparently care about but didn't bother picking up.

One such moment is when Barret is freaking out on the elevator as it's leaving the exploding reactor: Barret is getting antsy and yelling at the elevator as it progresses up. Barret turns over, fist clenched at Cloud who's calmly sitting towards the back calmly waiting for elevator to end its trip. Rather than lashing out at Cloud, or even making a comment/grunt of dissatisfaction, Barret turns towards the door and loosens his grip... calmly pacing his behavior for the next few bits as you leave the elevator. This is done without overdramatic camerawork/dialouge/permanent character development etc. and it significantly elevates the typical JRPG experience

Some of y'all need to take steps back, especially taking aims at this amazing OST. You guys seethe so much with old salt that it becomes hilarious.

I guess I just don't find a whole lot of value in "Barrett's rage nearly boils over for Cloud but he keeps a lid on it" when Barret has already gone off on Cloud for his attitude and ambivalence twice already.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #331 on: March 02, 2020, 03:29:47 PM »
What's with the fov in this? It's cool that you have nice graphics but I'd appreciate it if I could see more than 25% at a time.

Himu

« Reply #332 on: March 02, 2020, 03:38:04 PM »
Barret gives a speech in the elevator in the original but the way he leads into full on anger, with voice acting rather than text, makes him look like a crazy person. The elevator scene is a complete head scratcher. First he gives a speech, which is well and good, but then starts screaming at the top of his lungs while ranting. It's awful.

Jessie starts flirting with Cloud before he even rescues her. It's a bit overdone. I'm fine with that stuff over all, but the game ultimately isn't fun to play.

I played on both "classic" mode and normal mode and it's mindless bullshit. I held square most of the fights. I dislike how the ATB works. It doesn't even seem to work via  time but via action. Too many enemies are complete HP sinks making fights boring and mindless. How many times do you have to stagger a sweeper in order to kill it? 3 or 4 times? It's snoozeville with almost zero in the way of adversity. The controls are completely stiff. The boss fight with the scorpion is completely overdone, overly drawn out, and the anti-thesis of fun.

The game just screams bloated and bad.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #333 on: March 02, 2020, 03:44:54 PM »
The game also constantly makes weird connections. They mention Tifa TWICE. The player hasn't met her yet. They said this game  was for people that aren't FFVII fans. Why is it assumed the player knows who Tifa is? Jesse also brings up Tifa as a potential love interest, which is a bad sign, because in the original, up until disc 2 at least, Tifa is an awful character whose only value is romance interest. Tifa constantly interjects with Aerith -  who DOES have value and utility - with romance garbage. Tifa's only there to force a stupid love triangle situation and Barret already has the Avalanche terrorist leader label, so there's nothing unique to Tifa and makes  her a weak link until at least disc 2 when she finally gains agency with Aerith out of the picture.

For them to link Tifa as a romance interest the first time she's even mentioned isn't a good sign of improvement in character development.

Why be invested? What has been improved exactly?
IYKYK

Coffee Dog

« Reply #334 on: March 02, 2020, 03:50:57 PM »
The implication that Shinra was false flag allowing the reactors to be blown is a lot better than cutting away to them rubber stamp approving a false flag attack less than an hour into the game and before we are introduced to AVALANCHE proper. I get that they are getting played by Shinra, but way to undercut the status quo that the game was already in the middle of establishing. Save that shit for hours down the line.

I mean fuck man, if I was a casual who'd never played this I'd be waiting for the false flag to ever get brought up again. Surely they didn't cut to this for no reason, and arming me with this knowledge has to have some purpose beyond making AVALANCHE look like massive chumps!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 04:00:08 PM by Coffee Dog »

Himu

« Reply #335 on: March 02, 2020, 03:56:07 PM »

One such moment is when Barret is freaking out on the elevator as it's leaving the exploding reactor: Barret is getting antsy and yelling at the elevator as it progresses up. Barret turns over, fist clenched at Cloud who's calmly sitting towards the back calmly waiting for elevator to end its trip. Rather than lashing out at Cloud, or even making a comment/grunt of dissatisfaction, Barret turns towards the door and loosens his grip... calmly pacing his behavior for the next few bits as you leave the elevator. This is done without overdramatic camerawork/dialouge/permanent character development etc. and it significantly elevates the typical JRPG experience

"Elevates the typical jrpg experience."

What.

It's just a scene to show the differences in experience between Cloud and Barret. It hardly "elevates the typical jrpg experience" at all, much less Final Fantasy.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #336 on: March 02, 2020, 03:59:36 PM »
The implication that Shinra was false flag allowing the reactors to be blown is a lot better than cutting away to them rubber stamp approving a false flag attack less than an hour into the game and before we are introduced to AVALANCHE proper. I get that they are getting played by Shinra, but way to undercut the status quo that the game was already in the middle of establishing. Save that shit for hours down the line.

I mean fuck man, if I was a casual who'd never played this I'd be waiting for the false flag to ever get brought up again.

I really don't get why reveal it. It kills the suspense. The team blows up a Mako reactor and they reveal that, no, they really didn't? The slow build up is killed and it also takes away the characters agency. They killed innocents. They bombed a reactor. Turns out, they really didn't?

This completely undercuts one of the main themes of the game: on whether humanity is redeemable. Avalanche killed innocents. They did it. So they decide to make it Shinra that actually did it? Lmao :neogaf
IYKYK

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #337 on: March 02, 2020, 04:01:14 PM »
I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone special fellow over a demo so much

:rejoice :rejoice :rejoice
(ice)

Rahxephon91

« Reply #338 on: March 02, 2020, 04:05:16 PM »
Demo was good. Action combat is good and felt a bit more strategic then KH, certainly better than XV. Bosses take too long. Sound mixing felt off.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 05:11:17 PM by Rahxephon91 »

Himu

« Reply #339 on: March 02, 2020, 04:29:15 PM »
I'm sorry but saying that scene elevates the "typical jrpg experience" in a series that has this

And this

In a genre that has this

Is comical to me.

What shockingly low standards.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #340 on: March 02, 2020, 04:43:26 PM »
After I finish my FFVII replay I think I'll sign up for FFXIV again and try to get past the boring initial content instead of FFVIIR. I really, really want FF in my life again. God I miss Final Fantasy so fucking hard. Playing the demo just accentuated that fact.

I want to play white mage. :doge What are the best races for that?
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #341 on: March 02, 2020, 04:44:37 PM »
do you think there will be any understated interactions at the honeybee inn
fat

Himu

« Reply #342 on: March 02, 2020, 04:46:07 PM »
It's extremely ridiculous to criticize/compare the writing behind dialogue, subtleties, and party chat in a demo to monologues and pivotal scenes of a game.

Extremely ridiculous.

You said it elevated the genre.
IYKYK

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #343 on: March 02, 2020, 04:47:15 PM »
After I finish my FFVII replay I think I'll sign up for FFXIV again and try to get past the boring initial content instead of FFVIIR. I really, really want FF in my life again. God I miss Final Fantasy so fucking hard. Playing the demo just accentuated that fact.

Races are cosmetic only.

Himu

« Reply #344 on: March 02, 2020, 04:47:31 PM »

Races are cosmetic only.

Sick :klob
IYKYK

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #345 on: March 02, 2020, 04:49:15 PM »

I wish this remake was M rated and there were sex scenes with Cloud involving Tifa, Aeirth, Barret, and Sephiroth.

The amount of nuance of Barret burying his BBC in femboi Clouds ass, the sound of cock and balls slapping ass, it'd be gentle music to my ears.
OH!

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #346 on: March 02, 2020, 04:54:41 PM »
IDK they made Corneo look like he snorts coke off the bedside table. He doesn't look like that portly hornball who probably cums in a second.
fat

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #347 on: March 02, 2020, 04:57:06 PM »

MVG really likes it.
Hi

« Reply #348 on: March 02, 2020, 05:00:53 PM »
Demo was good. Action combat is good and felt a bit more strategic then KH, certainly better than XV. Bosses take too lang. Sound mixing felt off.

Those shock troopers did too.

The combat system is a million times better than the I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M ACTUALLY DOING one in the XV.
野球

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #349 on: March 02, 2020, 05:12:05 PM »
I thought the demo was pretty alright. Got some complains and nit-picks, sure, but it more or less ended up being what I wanted/expected from a modern take on a game that came out nearly 25 years ago.
dog

Himu

« Reply #350 on: March 02, 2020, 05:20:08 PM »
they talk like human beings, emotions are not over-dramatacized for the camera/listener etc.

Barret literally starts a rant and starts screaming in the middle of an elevator when Cloud doesn't even respond to him.

Jesse goes beyond merely being the tinkerer to full blown love interest. In the original, it's just kind of hinted. Here, it's full blown I want to fuck Cloud.

Also the original has a literal translation from JP to ENG. Of course it's mechanical.

What about the dialogue in X? Or XII? What about Vagrant Story or Parasite Eve? I see nothing different here. It's the same jrpg stuff as before. Also, not all jrpgs are alike. Tales is completely different from MegaTen. Or well, it used to be. Some, like Tales, are extra pulpy because they try to cater to an anime fanbase. Others, like Megaten are subdued and minimal. Then you've got games like Valkyrie Profile, Dragon Quest, Breath of Fire V. Or the scene in FFXII where Vaan and Penelo briefly hold hands to tell us of their relatoinship without harping about it. That scene elevates nothing and different jrpgs have story in their own unique manner.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 05:28:59 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #351 on: March 02, 2020, 05:31:14 PM »
Barrett’s dialogue and animation were pretty cringe.

I don’t really care about this argument. The game and series is too important for people to really have an objective conversation about it. Everyone is going to have a bias.

That said I didn’t find anything bad about the writing. In the end it felt like a competent anime which is all I expect from a Nomura FF. Few anime have naturalistic dialogue and nor do I want or expect them too.

Things like FFXII and XIV come off better because maybe the subject material is stronger, but also they go for an old English style in the localization. Also XIV is allowed to aim older.

DQXI had good writing but again the localization is allowed to lean into the medevil stylings.

I think Persona games have ok writing because the subject material asks for more relatable and toned down character work.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 05:36:21 PM by Rahxephon91 »

Himu

« Reply #352 on: March 02, 2020, 05:38:50 PM »
I'm sorry dude. But I'm a big fan of Barret Wallace. I agree with Rah and thought it was cringey.

Barret, to me, is a calculating guy. He cares about the planet but "can't you hear the planet screaming?!?!" Boy sounds like a nut rather than a calculating leader.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #353 on: March 02, 2020, 05:42:14 PM »
Like, cloud has visions and voices talking in his head and he looks more sane than Barret.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #354 on: March 02, 2020, 06:12:21 PM »
Replay the game.

Dude is a one-note angry Mr.T rip-off, he gets sad at the events of Midgar, he's called a reckless killer in Corel, the party allows him to have his emo moment at Golden Saucer while they enjoy themselves,  Marlene's dad is introduced-> Barret is finally allowed to be 3D.

At no point whatsoever is Barret seen as a calculating leader. His equivalent would at best would be... idunno... Bernie? Stump speeches and good intentions?

I said earlier this very page I'm replaying FFVII.

I still don't see it. Also there's a different between text and voice acting. The scenes in the demo definitely constitute over dramatic. Which you said the game wasn't. It is.

Also, on the train an NPC literally says they must have a calculating leader. Barret is a hothead, but he isn't that crazy.

You seem to believe that because I think Barret is over the top in the remake that the original portrays him as a saint. It doesn't.
IYKYK

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #355 on: March 02, 2020, 06:19:38 PM »

If there's no "Hot Coffee" with Cloud, they lose a sale.

Also can we special fellow out about how horrible the PSN store is, especially on the website now a days? Try to look for PS2 titles that work on PS3/4 and it's a PITA. Try to find PS3/Velveta shit and it's a PITA. Jesus, what has PC gaming done to me to where this shit I used to stomach years ago.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #356 on: March 02, 2020, 06:27:44 PM »
Boy sounds like a nut rather than a calculating leader.

I mean, he's the leader of an eco-terrorist cell.
dog

Himu

« Reply #357 on: March 02, 2020, 06:28:55 PM »

I'm not sure how you can't label this overdramatic.

In the original they have a conversation. Cloud doesn't care about the planet, he just cares about his money and getting out before the robo guards come. It's a way to show the contrast between Barret and Cloud. Here, Barret goes batshit over seemingly nothing.

On contrary to your points, FFVII remake, so far, is far more dramatic and less subdued than the original.

IYKYK

Coffee Dog

« Reply #358 on: March 02, 2020, 06:29:27 PM »
I can't imagine a better encapsulation of the entire experience than "upgrading" the guard scorpion to take five times as long and have sequences where you're forced to idle behind rocks like a lame MMO raid.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #359 on: March 02, 2020, 06:32:17 PM »
In the original, Barrett got mad, yelled a lot, and threatened to/actually did beat people up while mad.

In that scene in the remake he goes off on Cloud in the elevator because Cloud keeps acting distant and like he doesn't really care about what they're doing and why, Barrett gets mad and confronts him about it because it's actually a really important issue and ends up ranting a bit, Cloud says he sounds like a crazy person, and Barrett actually calms down a bit after that because, yeah, he did sound a bit crazy.
dog