Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII Remake |OT| The Unknown Journey Will Continue  (Read 134618 times)

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
(ice)

bluemax

three months til release and they still haven't shown anything that didn't happen in the first couple hours of FFVII...

This is supposedly the first section of FF7, which lasts about 3-5 hours depending upon playstyle (non speed run) and turned it into a 20+ hour game.

Or they're fucking with us super hard and its the whole game remade and they just don't want us to know (seems less likely).
NO

bluemax

There's always some kind of inefficient grinder when it comes to JRPGs.

Youtube even recommends me videos on them:
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 01:43:24 AM by bluemax »
NO

Rahxephon91

Alexander O Smith should have been hired for this project
Why? I don’t believe he’s an adr Director. Which is honestly the problem.

Square Enix’s English voice acting is so odd. FFXIV(now) and Dragon Quest all sound great. Probably because they use England based studios. But even things like Nier can sound great. Then you get the XIII games and this.

Because AO Smith translated FFXII and X and has historically done a great job bringing these games to life in English. Not only is the VA direction lacking but so is the actual scripting, something AO Smith would have a direct part in. It's worth scratching your head over the fact that this is the most anticipated game SE has done in generations and they didn't get the best man for the job that has traditionally had a relationship with them in terms of presenting the game to English speaking audiences.

Maybe he was busy. I don't know.
I don't think he's worked with Square in like a decade. With the PSP port of Let Us Cling together being his last credit. And I think with FF games they like to do it in house. And I mean based on things like XIV they've done pretty well. I'd even say XV's voice acting is solid. But even then, there's only so much you can do with this script.

At least this dub doesn't sound like it's the same anime voice actors. I don't know parts like Barret sound bad, but then parts with Cloud sound ok.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
There's always some kind of inefficient grinder when it comes to JRPGs.

Youtube even recommends me videos on them:
I'm seeing these too. Watched a couple, even. This guy has the most unfortunate accent for someone with a nasal voice.

Svejk

Dick and Tree? Some colorful names there.  :lol
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 09:39:09 AM by Svejk »

Coffee Dog

Finally catching up on gameplay of this that isn't the scorpion robot and this looks..pretty ass, as far as something you actually have to interact with. What even is the point of the real time combat? Defensively, the only choice you have is to dodge (it's not like you can contest an offensive or press the attack, given that this is not an action game and your moves do not cause hitstun), and all the thing does is lunge at you and spray danger zones on the ground like you're fighting an MMO boss. And offensively, you have a square button mash that builds meter for your "real" moves that you pause time and remove yourself from the action for anyway. You're just so passive and irrelevant for most of the actual gameplay.

It's the same old "spam attack" but everything takes a thousand times longer and you no longer have the luxury of skipping through text boxes to make it go faster.  :lol It's not like I expected the new FFVII to have engaging decision making mid-combat given that the original was easy and barely did, but I was really hoping for a less directly lateral move. combat shouldn't be filler in a game where it makes up so much of the runtime, and now the game even has filler to the filler (the real time gameplay that serves no purpose but to fill a bar that enables you to do something relevant)

Edit: I had this exact take months ago and already totally forgot about it  :dead

They need to show more gameplay so I can be smug more
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 01:04:06 PM by Coffee Dog »

Rahxephon91

No, this looks a lot better than 15’s combat. And calling it brainless is such a shallow nothing critique. It’s an action rpg, so of course it’s not going to have the obvious planning of a turn based rpg. The challenge is going to come from on the fly decisions and what the combat asks you to do. XV wasn’t brainless at all, but it sure didn’t have any interesting enemies and a shitty magic system. VII remake already seems better in that regard

Coffee Dog

There's just not a whole lot interesting decision making that comes from an action game without hitstun. It's the difference between an actual action game like Kingdom Hearts and MMO boss crap where you're just mindlessly depleting a health bar.

Rahxephon91

I mean I guess if you don't know anything about the game and are just trying to have shitty uninformed takes.

I mean XV did'nt have a stagger system like XIII. Which if it is actually like XIII will be effected by elements, types of physical attacks, and so on. Which then you combine with the fact that characters will have unique roles and you'll actually want to switch to them thanks to materia and find ways to quickly build stagger.  You have a system that's nothing like XV beyond that you I guess press a button to attack in real time? We don't even know how the ATB system will work 100% in the game as if they were smart there would be mechanics or character progression to make it fill faster outside of simply attacking a lot. Since ATB is tied to using special attacks, it should also be tied to a type of risk and reward system where you attack or progress a character to have them use magic instead to fill atb, thus having to have you balance constant magic attack to refill your ability to attack with magic.

I mean this also ignores the fact that that hopefully enemies will offer thier own senerios and ways to attack them. And since this is from basically XIII team people, I wouldn't see why it wouldn't.

But sure it's the same as XV despite having things that XV didnt or still doesnt have like switching party members who will actually be unique characters. Of course it doesn't haven't hitstun. It's pretty clear it's still trying to be an rpg and the action real time is just to basically make it more involved. It's not 100% action game. Will it work? I don't know, probably not.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 05:03:29 AM by Rahxephon91 »

Himu

Omg now we can judge the combat for ourselves
IYKYK

Svejk

The demo has been long overdue.  It's bowlshit they've made us wait this long for it.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Chooky

just release the fucking demo already can't stand this priapism

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
dog

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
Too bad we're not getting a new game as good as Tobal or Brave Fencer Musashi with this demo
QED

Svejk

Brave Fencer
 :preach

Rahxephon91

It doesn't look anything like XV except that it's.....an action rpg.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
And people seriously questioned whether Nanaki would be in this  :rejoice
:9

Tasty

The demo has been long overdue.  It's bowlshit they've made us wait this long for it.

It's a new big budget FF from Square. You're lucky you're playing anything this decade.

Svejk

I haven't played FFVII since the OG release.  Looking forward to playing this. 

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018

Look at this cute lil' motherfucker, ready to one-shot you with his tiny knife :heart

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
HONEY BEE INN :gladbron
dog

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
(Image removed from quote.)

Look at this cute lil' motherfucker, ready to one-shot you with his tiny knife :heart

Tonberrys in Midgar? That gives the sense that there will be a full offering as far as level progression and enemy types. Which is strange if this is truly being split up into three parts
:9

Himu

I just realized that yes Part 1 is literally just midgar, but man they don't expand it much. Part 1 is short af hot damn.

This is already  confirmed.
IYKYK

Himu

Sephiroth should barely be in midgar. There is a thing called build up. There is also a thing called Shinra are superior villains to Seph as well.
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
fat

Himu

I just realized that yes Part 1 is literally just midgar, but man they don't expand it much. Part 1 is short af hot damn.

No it wasn't, it was speculated. They talked about how they would expand it considerably but from what the leaks show they definitely haven't, which is not a bad thing to me. What sucks is part 1 only being the non expanded midgar. That's a short ass first part when the original was a full on sprawling JRPG. so it still fucking sucks.

Yes it is dude. It's months old.

https://www.gamesradar.com/final-fantasy-7-remake-midgar-only/

They confirmed it was just Midgar around E3 and I've been wondering in my head for months how in the fuck they were going to turn 5-6 hours into a full length game.
IYKYK

bluemax

The demo is being datamined, but one thing to remember is that Unreal excludes anything you don't directly reference/tell it to cook. So a smart team when cutting a demo, would set their build up to only include the stuff needed. The screenshots I've seen lead me to believe this is largely what is going on here.
NO

Raist

No it wasn't, it was speculated. They talked about how they would expand it considerably but from what the leaks show they definitely haven't, which is not a bad thing to me. What sucks is part 1 only being the non expanded midgar. That's a short ass first part when the original was a full on sprawling JRPG. so it still fucking sucks.

They confirmed it was just Midgar around E3 and I've been wondering in my head for months how in the fuck they were going to turn 5-6 hours into a full length game.

The Remake Midgar might end up being a lot more than the OG Midgar in Disk 1.

There's a whole bunch of dialogue referencing stuff that only came up waaaay later originally, and including Hojo and Zack, for instance...

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna

Just expand the #%$&-room scene. It's all I want from the game.

Himu

The Remake Midgar might end up being a lot more than the OG Midgar in Disk 1.

There's a whole bunch of dialogue referencing stuff that only came up waaaay later originally, and including Hojo and Zack, for instance...

it's not a "might" but a foregone conclusion. They've said as much.

The problem being that the original Midgar is 5-6 hours. Therefore they will be stretching something 5 hours long to full length. There will likely be padding. How they pull it off is what I'm curious to see.

I'm not sure what else you could possibly explore in Midgar.

We will just have to see.
IYKYK

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
I’d say there’s no way they drop a 8 hr game and say lol fuck u, but that’s or probably what they’re gonna do :stahp
(ice)

Himu

I’d say there’s no way they drop a 8 hr game and say lol fuck u, but that’s or probably what they’re gonna do :stahp

lmao if they did you'd probably have to get your funeral clothes out for Final Fantasy :lol Everything for FF"s future is riding on this game.

No way they'd have the balls to do that
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
I could see them pulling some of the later stuff into Midgar to expand out what was originally just the first act.
dog

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
Premature speculation time: the drop-off for episode 2 is going to be massive.

Raist

it's not a "might" but a foregone conclusion. They've said as much.

The problem being that the original Midgar is 5-6 hours. Therefore they will be stretching something 5 hours long to full length. There will likely be padding. How they pull it off is what I'm curious to see.

I'm not sure what else you could possibly explore in Midgar.

We will just have to see.

I don't mean in the padding sense (though surely there will be some), but it seems like they might be reshuffling an awful lot of stuff.

There's apparently lines from Hojo telling Cloud that he was never in SOLDIER, sooo... Yeah.

edit:

https://twitter.com/sgwr1/status/1212730630015836160

Himu

I hope they know they're playing with fire
IYKYK

Tasty

FF7r Complete in 2040 is gonna be off the hook.

nachobro

• Live Más
2041 for PC :(

paprikastaude

Let Aeris live, I want the meltdowns :rejoice

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
Let Aeris live, I want the meltdowns :rejoice

If they end up going the Rebuild of Evangelion route with this remake series they could do a https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CameBackWrong
QED

Tasty

Guys the new revised ending just leaked!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpBZI2dNBRE

As expected from the master, Mr. Nomura.  :betty

nachobro

• Live Más
they should change the story so they can add palpatine in part 3

Tasty

Aeris was Jenova's granddaughter the whole time?!

paprikastaude

they should change the story so they can add palpatine in part 3

An edaquate foe for Batman

« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 07:00:34 PM by Spieler1 »

Tasty

The amount of people melting down over minor plot detail changes is pretty  ::)

I can understand the mentality. Only little stuff seems confirmed changed, but it's logical to be worried about larger changes to something you like, and the smaller changes at least indicate they're changing *something.*

It's also the case, demonstrated repeatedly in 20th century media, that creators returning to their works years after the fact could lead them to miss what made it work so well in the first place.

Hmm, how much did RE2 change compared to the original? Because that was highly lauded and the remake was just as well reviewed.

Rahxephon91

REMAKE 2 changed plenty. The PS1 B scenario  is gone.

And no I don’t agree with the mentality. This is a remake, not a copy of the original. The original is still there if you’re going to get bent out of shape over changes. I do not want slavish copies. What’s the point? I want creators to be creative about how they reinterpret, reimagine, or what we old material.

And seeing as how i don’t know how these changes work in the grand picture, I don’t care that they exist.

Himu

The amount of people melting down over minor plot detail changes is pretty  ::)

After Compilation of FFVII you have to be a mongoloid that sniffs their own farts to roll their eyes at people being concerned about plot changes in FFVIIr. Disagree with them but acting like it is an unearned position makes you look like a major fuck head.
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

Compilation of FFVII added some bad stuff, but to be honest this remake always looked to ignoring that shit. It's not like they were showing Genesis or that Trunks girl firm Crisis Core or really any of the expanded universe stuff.

I mean I guess that stuff will probably show up and it sucks. But I don't know beyond the obvious jokes about how long Square takes and the episodic approach, I feel like Square has been pretty careful and respectable to VII. I feel like they are showing lots of effort and care. Yeah you may disagree with the modernization and the need to cash in on Seph that it looks like a game made knowing how VII exists in the fandom will probably do. But I don't know, the project has seemed pretty earnest so far.

Then again, I don't hold VII up pretty high. It's an ok game.

Raist

I really need the new JENOVA track. But I guess it is too early for FF7R? I barely remember the first encounter with JENOVA on some ship or something... that was 20 years ago.

First time was on the ship between Junon and Costa Del Sol. Which was also the first time you see "Sephiroth", IIRC.

Raist

lol noob :umad

Midgar > Kalm > Junon > Costa Del Sol (main story beats, not counting small locations like the Chocobo farm etc).

That was still all on Disc 1, which went all the way through Corel, Gold Saucer, etc etc, up until the point where Sephiroth goes stabby stab.

FFVIIR Part 1 ends with leaving Midgar. I'm guessing part 2 will end where Disc 1 did.

Himu

I'm fine with fighting jenova in midgar. But I also get why people don't like it.

Midgar is great because of build up. It's all about Shinra. Most interactions with Sephiroth is subtle because they're thought boxes in the dark or voices in Cloud's head. But then you wake up in prison and everything is dead while there's a trail of blood and jenova is missing. Which makes you asks questions.

But of course, modern square doesn't want you ask questions. Whereas the original FFVII, was a game all about forcing its audience to ask questions. Back in the day, before AC was out, if you could not explain why you thought humanity lived or died in essay form backed with evidence on square message boards you weren't shit. We debated that for almost a decade. 6-7 years before AC was announced in 2003 or 2004. Everyone had their own opinion. It was half glass empty/full and is very much a part of the games legacy. At the time it was the "is Decker a replicant?" of video games and is very much a big part of FFVII endured: it kept people talking.

So although I'm fine with the change, SE is also playing with fire if they change too much. The original was lightning in a bottle. Open the lid too much....
IYKYK

Himu

The glory days before AC :rejoice

"What do you think happened in FFVII's ending?" was the grand daddy of all FF discussions now lost to time.

I feel bad for anyone who got into FFVII after AC. The discussions we had :lawd With that 90's/2000's self serious internet steez. Now any time you play FFVII you got the answer made for you.

Man they really fucked that games legacy by making a sequel. Lmao Talk about not understanding your own property. But I guess it's all about the money, huh?

/Team everyone died over here :jawalrus
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
New age Square can't tell stories for shit. Just compare FF15 story (LMAO) and STORY EXECUTION (crucial) with Chrono Trigger, FF6 or even FF8 (complex) or Chrono Cross.

Modern Square ain't shit.
:wag

14 is in the top 3 ff's they've ever put out