Author Topic: Corona Thread |OT| Nu variant, who dis?  (Read 1082948 times)

Occam

Re: Corona Thread |OT| The Curse of La Rona
« Reply #8340 on: May 22, 2020, 01:47:40 AM »
had to sit through a meeting where the head of our company told us after checking the numbers every day, he declared "corona is over" while simultaneously asking the two coworkers who don't work 5 days a week (bc no childcare available) to come in 5 days a week :goty

So he asked them to bring their kids?

Occam

« Reply #8341 on: May 22, 2020, 01:54:44 AM »
Just 7.3% of Stockholm had Covid-19 antibodies by end of April, study shows

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/21/just-7-per-cent-of-stockholm-had-covid-19-antibodies-by-end-of-april-study-sweden-coronavirus

Meaning all those preventable deaths in Sweden were for nought; no herd immunity in sight.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 02:01:52 AM by Occam »

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #8342 on: May 22, 2020, 02:27:09 AM »
Daddy needs more corobabux; where they at.

©@©™

DJ Bedroom

« Reply #8343 on: May 22, 2020, 03:31:05 AM »
My younger brother in college has apparently had a fever and a cough that's gotten worse over the past week and finally went and got tested today. Haven't seen him since Christmas. Hope he's ok.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #8344 on: May 22, 2020, 06:14:37 AM »
when nintex makes long posts i like to imagine his avatar babbling at me like a Rare character while i smile and nod before patting him on the head and sending him away

Maybe a Playtronix Rare tribute, not vintage Rare

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #8345 on: May 22, 2020, 06:16:00 AM »
Just 7.3% of Stockholm had Covid-19 antibodies by end of April, study shows

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/21/just-7-per-cent-of-stockholm-had-covid-19-antibodies-by-end-of-april-study-sweden-coronavirus

Meaning all those preventable deaths in Sweden were for nought; no herd immunity in sight.

Lets wait until we have all the facts in 10 years and people will have forgotten about grandpa or mother

-Sweden

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8346 on: May 22, 2020, 07:36:22 AM »
Quote from: TFA
I heard the front door open. The kids ran out. I hoped they’d do what I told them: “Do not let anyone in the house, not even a cop. Do not tell them I’m here. Just say hi to Mami Vicky.”

I heard voices. I heard footsteps. Minutes later, Vicky and the kids came upstairs. The cop was gone. The coast was clear.

It took Vicky hours to relax. She told me the story. She told my mom, her brother, her sister. She had her story down.

She said, “They held me for an hour. It was police brutality. The cop at the checkpoint looked at my paperwork and told me to make a U-turn. I said I came through four days ago with my kids. He said, ‘You should not have been let through; turn around.’ I pulled over. I wasn’t going to leave. I said I needed to speak to a deputy. I said I left my kids alone. The deputy told me to shut up. That’s when I started crying. I said I went out to run errands. I tried to show him the plastic drawers I just bought at Walmart. But he was not interested in evidence. He said, ‘Listen, lady, I’ve been here 13 hours listening to bulls**t stories like yours.’

Like, I get wanting to be with your family. But hollllllllllllllllllllllllly shiiiiiiiiiiittttttttt

In August 2019, my kids and I moved to Madrid. Our plan was to spend a year in Spain; learn Spanish; see the world; learn to live less like spoiled Americans.

The truth is, we were the exact people the cops wanted to keep out. We had been in one of the most infected cities in one of the most infected countries in the world. We rode two airplanes; walked through three airports. Two of us were children, currently considered vectors. But we disregarded the rules because… well, because we wanted to.

:dizzy
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8347 on: May 22, 2020, 07:38:56 AM »
My job is still playing it really safe.  They're not going to even start to consider having people go back into the office until mid-September and anyone high-risk or who doesn't want to go because of kids won't have to.
ど助平

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #8348 on: May 22, 2020, 07:41:36 AM »
Generations after us will look at old movies and films wondering why only the villains wear protective masks  :doge
🤴

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #8351 on: May 22, 2020, 08:26:26 AM »
https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1263801827751079937

CNN has finally decided to fix their ratings :trumps
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #8353 on: May 22, 2020, 08:34:19 AM »
"Look at this Bob, Yrral Lowkud, Deraj Kunsher and Avinka Kunsher filing for unemployment benefits, looks pretty suspect to me."

"Oh you are such a racist Steve"
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 08:39:08 AM by Nintex »
🤴

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #8354 on: May 22, 2020, 08:39:51 AM »
covid19-projections.com estimates that the R0 in the US is now back up to 1.00. Mission accomplished.

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #8355 on: May 22, 2020, 08:53:22 AM »
Correction from yesterday. There is 17% seroprevalence in London and 5% in the rest of the UK. The Tweet I quoted yesterday said it was 5% for the UK (implying it was an overall number). It's actually ~ 7% overall, meaning the IFR is somewhere between 0.8%-1.2%. This is in line with the large studies in NYC and Spain.

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #8356 on: May 22, 2020, 09:48:53 AM »
https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/frankline-ndifor-pastor-cameroon-072134640.html

LA pastor and former presidential candidate in Cameroon who claimed he had cured coronavirus via laying hands has reportedly died of the infection.

Frankline Ndifor died on Saturday at the age of 39, Voice of America reported.

The authorities had to use force to enter Ndifor’s residence because his followers, who believed he was a prophet, had blocked entry as they prayed for his resurrection.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #8357 on: May 22, 2020, 09:55:58 AM »

lol

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8358 on: May 22, 2020, 09:59:22 AM »
I thought for sure that was a fake tweet, but it's 100% real. :lol
dog

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #8359 on: May 22, 2020, 11:00:58 AM »
Ontario Daily New Cases Rising Again:
 :trumps

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #8360 on: May 22, 2020, 11:23:36 AM »
I'm not suprised, there are a lot of people out on the streets.

Tripon

« Reply #8361 on: May 22, 2020, 11:29:27 AM »
The idea that coronavirus will be going away or mitigated by Summer seems to be a misnomer.

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #8362 on: May 22, 2020, 11:30:12 AM »
I'm not suprised, there are a lot of people out on the streets.
My apartment is near two parkettes. Both were packed late into the evening. Groups of up to a dozen. No masks.

And the numbers are up while testing is down.
https://twitter.com/CBCQueensPark/status/1263849845447634945

How did East Asia, South East Asia, Western Europe, Central Europe, and Southern Europe do what North America, Latin America, and South Asia cannot?

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #8363 on: May 22, 2020, 11:30:40 AM »
The idea that coronavirus will be going away or mitigated by Summer seems to be a misnomer.

kingv

« Reply #8364 on: May 22, 2020, 11:32:27 AM »
covid19-projections.com estimates that the R0 in the US is now back up to 1.00. Mission accomplished.

I wonder what the R0 estimate and growth rate looks like with all states ex NY. I get the feeling that NY getting things under control is driving the trend because it was far the biggest hit spot and making people think it’s a bit better nationally than it really is.

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #8365 on: May 22, 2020, 11:37:27 AM »

I wonder what the R0 estimate and growth rate looks like with all states ex NY. I get the feeling that NY getting things under control is driving the trend because it was far the biggest hit spot and making people think it’s a bit better nationally than it really is.
The site has estimates for states and even some counties.
You are correct.

https://twitter.com/39Magilla/status/1263567278181945344

Flannel Boy

• Icon

Nuitangg

« Reply #8367 on: May 22, 2020, 11:58:31 AM »
Latest numbers from the county neighboring mine [I do most of my shopping and eating there since my home county is pretty barren]:

(Image removed from quote.)

:-\ :-\ :-\

I'm not comfortable being this close to other bore members.  :lol

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #8368 on: May 22, 2020, 12:01:54 PM »
Latest numbers from the county neighboring mine [I do most of my shopping and eating there since my home county is pretty barren]:

(Image removed from quote.)

:-\ :-\ :-\

I'm not comfortable being this close to other bore members.  :lol

A lot of them are mid-west, until Esch moved. :doge

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8369 on: May 22, 2020, 12:22:17 PM »

The site has estimates for states and even some counties.
You are correct.

https://twitter.com/39Magilla/status/1263567278181945344

I really don't know how Oklahoma is doing as well as it is.
dog

Flannel Boy

• Icon

Occam

« Reply #8371 on: May 22, 2020, 01:52:43 PM »
The problem being this:
"The vaccine reported today was created with an adenovirus called Ad5 that easily enters human cells. However, many people already have been exposed to Ad5, so there is concern that antibodies to it will be too common to allow the vaccine to work widely."

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #8372 on: May 22, 2020, 02:37:53 PM »
Am I supposed to ignore that Dr. Birx sounds out of breath while speaking at normal volume even without the mask? :yikes
Yes that's why they put angry queen Kayleigh on to yell about Flynn  :drool
🤴

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #8373 on: May 22, 2020, 02:50:08 PM »
Am I supposed to ignore that Dr. Birx sounds out of breath while speaking at normal volume even without the mask? :yikes

is there a press briefing?

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #8374 on: May 22, 2020, 02:54:23 PM »

is there a press briefing?
Trump just issued an ultimatum that churches and houses of worship should re-open right now or else.

Then Birx came up to teach the class COVID-19 maths and Kayleigh got her 30 minutes of dunking on the assembled journalists.
🤴

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #8375 on: May 22, 2020, 03:19:04 PM »
Barely related:

https://www.blogto.com/city/2020/05/ctv-apologizes-footage-man-kissing-stranger-trinity-bellwoods-viral/

CTV News came under fire today for airing a video of a man abruptly kissing a stranger while she was being interviewed on camera about masks in Toronto's Trinity Bellwoods Park, and the network has now issued a public apology.

The video began circulating on Twitter this morning and was instantly met with outrage from users who pointed out that, not only was this extremely dangerous considering the fact that we're in the midst of a global pandemic, but it was also a non-consensual (and gross) act.

The man then walks away, at which point the woman explains that they had actually met just minutes earlier and she thinks he's "so hot." She then calls after him telling him to text her.

Occam

« Reply #8376 on: May 22, 2020, 03:44:46 PM »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #8377 on: May 22, 2020, 03:45:15 PM »
I need to hang out at Trinity-Bellwoods more. 

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #8378 on: May 22, 2020, 03:51:08 PM »
I need to hang out at Trinity-Bellwoods more.
I'm sure you can go anywhere in Toronto to find strange men willing to kiss you.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #8379 on: May 22, 2020, 03:51:24 PM »
The virgin journo vs. the chad hippie  8)
🤴

Flannel Boy

• Icon

kingv

« Reply #8381 on: May 22, 2020, 04:52:28 PM »
The problem being this:
"The vaccine reported today was created with an adenovirus called Ad5 that easily enters human cells. However, many people already have been exposed to Ad5, so there is concern that antibodies to it will be too common to allow the vaccine to work widely."

Keep in mind that the flu vaccine is only like 45% effective in a good year. So even if this is say 30% effective, if enough people get it, it will reduce the rate of spread, and the number of infections to get to R0 herd immunity significantly.

If you need 40% of the population to get to herd immunity instead of 60, and balls out normal behavior R0 goes from 2.0 to to 1.3 or so, that’s a pretty big win.

Bebpo

« Reply #8382 on: May 22, 2020, 05:30:29 PM »
Yeah idk, for Covid-19 vaccine I'd sure as hell want it to be more effective than the flu vaccine. I feel like everyone I know gets their flu shot each year and everyone still gets the flu. If everyone went out thinking they were immune and then gets covid-19 and dies...yeah, no. Needs to be like 99% effective.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #8383 on: May 22, 2020, 05:42:04 PM »
Not a scientist but "flu" is really several different strains and that's why the vaccine has to be changed every year to hopefully targets the one that are estimated to be most prevalent that particular season hence why it's only partly effective.

SARS-COV-2 is one virus which is mutating slowly (if at all) so provided they can make a vaccine for the current form at the time, it should be fairly effective. No certainty it will happen, hoping that silver bullet is just around the corner has always been pie in the sky.
ὕβρις

kingv

« Reply #8384 on: May 22, 2020, 06:10:34 PM »
I think the concern with the ad5 vaccine, is it might not be really good at conferring immunity because of the delivery mechanism.

Because common cold is... common, a lot of people might have immunity at any given time, so the vaccine won’t have a chance to work in some people

Tripon

« Reply #8385 on: May 22, 2020, 07:07:39 PM »
If you can convince the vaccine will give me a fever, and some other symptoms that can make my life feel bad for a while.

Tripon

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #8387 on: May 22, 2020, 07:26:50 PM »

Tuckers Law

« Reply #8388 on: May 22, 2020, 08:29:46 PM »
https://twitter.com/TheLancet/status/1263825726110867456

https://twitter.com/TheLancet/status/1263825727981588480

I’m curious about the assumed SAE’s from the study, what with the language of “most” being used in relation to mild or moderate adverse events.

bluemax

NO

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #8390 on: May 22, 2020, 11:30:25 PM »
lmao. When did Chuck Wendig become the face of Soyface?
I swear I've seen a collage of like thirty images of him making it

Flannel Boy

• Icon

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #8393 on: May 22, 2020, 11:39:20 PM »
I’m telling ya, there’s gotta be people out there actively trying for a die off right before automation

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #8394 on: May 22, 2020, 11:40:23 PM »
Not a fair accounting at all. CDC leaves out how many souls were saved. Or lives saved even.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #8396 on: May 23, 2020, 02:17:57 AM »
More like Covid Deception Center, right?

e: man fuck you toku for messing up my natural flow post

:hmph

e2: that dude in the back left can't wait to get back to his n95 mask  :lol

kingv

« Reply #8397 on: May 23, 2020, 02:35:17 AM »
https://medium.com/@surgofoundation/the-coronaviruss-hidden-death-toll-in-america-s-counties-5ddee8fac9b9

Saw this... but I honestly have some issues with the methodology. Trying to look at individual counties might give you weird results, because especially in small counties, there is sure to be a lot of natural variation year to year. So trying to do that for 300 counties, and then aggregate up to a national level might not be the best way to do it. In this instance, looking at excess deaths in a broader sense like a full state should be more accurate because the central limit theorem will help balance out the variation.

kingv

« Reply #8398 on: May 23, 2020, 02:41:27 AM »
Yeah idk, for Covid-19 vaccine I'd sure as hell want it to be more effective than the flu vaccine. I feel like everyone I know gets their flu shot each year and everyone still gets the flu. If everyone went out thinking they were immune and then gets covid-19 and dies...yeah, no. Needs to be like 99% effective.

If wishes were ponies... at this point I’ll take what I can get.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴