Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2083066 times)

Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #6060 on: October 18, 2012, 03:24:22 AM »
Childrens Hospital is good indeed. I loved that behind the scenes episode where Malin Akerman's character is Swedish(?) and had to phonetically sound out all her lines :lol

Tasty

« Reply #6061 on: October 18, 2012, 10:02:40 AM »

Himu

« Reply #6062 on: October 18, 2012, 11:09:53 AM »
I saw that last night and that was a good Common act.
IYKYK

cool breeze

« Reply #6063 on: October 18, 2012, 12:28:35 PM »
so, who is CW's audience? there are commercials for twilight the show.  and during Arrow there're random shirtless training sequences.

anyway, second episode of Arrow is even more schlocky batman begins, down to a "swear to me"-esque line.  again, don't know much about Green Arrow, but
spoiler (click to show/hide)
is his bodyguard his Alfred/Jarvis in the comics? I know Speedy is his Robin and they made that a joke with his sister's nickname.  Or maybe they'll really have this 90 pound girl fighting crime at one point.
[close]
Green Arrow is also kind of a dick.  He murders honest and innocent bodyguards only to extort their bosses.

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #6064 on: October 18, 2012, 02:26:40 PM »
American Horror Story was fantastic! glad to see I'm not the only one that thought that the goth kid from season one looks like Malcolm McDowell.
Drunk

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #6065 on: October 19, 2012, 10:45:28 AM »
American Horror Story was fantastic! glad to see I'm not the only one that thought that the goth kid from season one looks like Malcolm McDowell.
:lol

Yeah that scene was awesome.  I really liked it.  It seems to be just as insane as the first season which is a good thing.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #6066 on: October 19, 2012, 06:48:22 PM »
I'm watching Terriers, how come nobody told me about this show before?*

* -
[close]

I finished Terriers and wow, what a great show.  It deserved better! :gloomy

I'm now watching Sons of Anarchy.  I heard the first season is good but falls apart from there.  We'll see. 
🍆🍆

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #6067 on: October 19, 2012, 07:36:15 PM »
I'm watching Terriers, how come nobody told me about this show before?*

* -
[close]

I finished Terriers and wow, what a great show.  It deserved better! :gloomy

I'm now watching Sons of Anarchy.  I heard the first season is good but falls apart from there.  We'll see. 

Terriers was so so good.

I think S2 of SoA is still pretty great, but yeah, it's pretty much downhill from there.
AMC

Tucah

« Reply #6068 on: October 19, 2012, 09:31:31 PM »
Buncha highbrow TV watchers up in here. Anyone else kill brain cells with Adult Swim?

Children's Hospital and Venture Bros are two of my favorite comedies, really wish the latter would come back already.

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #6069 on: October 19, 2012, 09:57:17 PM »
Seriously, I miss Venture Bros.  :(
WDW

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #6070 on: October 20, 2012, 12:13:02 AM »

Diunx

« Reply #6071 on: October 20, 2012, 01:15:54 AM »
:zzz
Drunk

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #6072 on: October 20, 2012, 11:50:15 PM »

For a low-rated show, Community sure knows how to create controversy. Beloved by its small but intensely loyal fanbase -- including plenty of us at IGN -- Community has had more than its fair share of backstage drama this past year, from a war of words between creator Dan Harmon and Chevy Chase that went public to Harmon’s much-discussed dismissal from the series by Sony.

Chase in the meantime has frequently been vocal regarding his unhappiness with Community and his role on it, and now is at the center of another incident.

Deadline is reporting that on Friday -- the same day Community: Season 4 was originally going to premiere, which was acknowledged by the cast in a very funny new video -- Chase had an outburst on set, during which he yelled the N-word. Deadline notes he did not yell this towards anyone in particular, including his black costars, Donald Glover or Yvette Nicole Brown, though cast members were said to be upset by what occurred. Apparently, Chase was being given new lines in a scene that were typically bigoted on the part of his character, Pierce, and Chase, according to Deadline, “snapped and launched the tirade, airing his frustration and suggesting that the way things with Pierce are going, he may next be asked to call Troy (Glover) or Shirley (Brown) the N-Word.” Chase later publically apologized to the cast and crew for what occurred.

In the past year, Chase has been increasingly public with his unhappiness on Community. Recently, he told the Huffington Post UK that doing Community “was a big mistake!”, saying, “I just sort of hung around because I have three daughters and a wife, and I figured out I might as well make some bread, every week, so I can take care of them in the way they want.” Chase added, “The hours are hideous, and it’s still a sitcom on television, which is probably the lowest form of television.”

In another interview with the Huffington Post earlier this year, he said, “I have creative issues with this show. I always have,” and remarked, “I probably won’t be around much longer,” though he ultimately did stay with the show for its fourth season.

As Deadline notes, the one area Chase has typically been complimentary on regarding Community is his fellow cast members, whose talents he has praised.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6073 on: October 21, 2012, 12:07:00 AM »
I can understand him wanting more development in his character; ultimately that seemed to be the crux of his tirade, not some actually racist rant.

IMO S3 was rather weak overall, despite some great eps mixed in, and I don't think the show needs to last much longer. I'd love to get at least two more seasons (this one, and next year)

etiolate

« Reply #6074 on: October 21, 2012, 04:04:38 AM »
The characters don't develop. They just become ridiculous and meaningless. They were just fitting roles for whatever gimmick the episode was about in season 3. It didn't matter if it fit their character or not, it was all to the service of the experiment.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #6075 on: October 21, 2012, 01:12:06 PM »
Despite whatever I think about community (I neither love it as much as some nor hate it as much as others) Chevy Chase has generally been an asshole his entire showbiz career. It's pretty crappy to constantly trash the show you are a part of. And its not like he's be doing anything creatively relevant himself for the last 20 years.

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #6076 on: October 21, 2012, 01:22:02 PM »
I just completely don't understand the comedic value Chevy Chase has ever brought to anything.  Is it something where I'd have to be both a WASP and a smug asshole (as opposed to Jewish and a smug asshole) to understand?  His entire career has just been a big ??? for me.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #6077 on: October 21, 2012, 01:26:29 PM »
When I was a kid I thought he was a cool white guy in the same way that I thought Bill Murray was a cool white guy. Chevy did not age gracefully however. In retrospect he never really had the range of comedy that someone like Murray had.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 01:31:58 PM by Stoney Mason »

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #6078 on: October 21, 2012, 01:32:44 PM »
chevy's routine has always been the "semi-charming, arrogant, smarmy idiot," which you can sort of see carried on in characters like ron burgundy

it's an out of fashion character nowadays, especially since he's become well-known as a humorless douche in real life

caddyshack and fletch are still awesome, though
sup

Stoney Mason

« Reply #6079 on: October 21, 2012, 01:41:23 PM »
chevy's routine has always been the "semi-charming, arrogant, smarmy idiot," which you can sort of see carried on in characters like ron burgundy

it's an out of fashion character nowadays, especially since he's become well-known as a humorless douche in real life

caddyshack and fletch are still awesome, though

Mostly agree. Although I would add the original vacation movie. I thought the original and the european one to a slightly less degree were classics.

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #6080 on: October 21, 2012, 04:04:48 PM »
i can't believe that i still don't hate arrow.

it's... i dunno.  it's not great, but it's not horrible.  it's a competent action show with very obvious drama elements tacked on but they don't clash horribly.

also Nashville is an entertaining watch.
Tonya

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #6081 on: October 21, 2012, 04:44:24 PM »
Chevy Chase has always been comedies Steven Seagal. And he also now looks like a paedophile.

And even after your insolent silence regarding the (Eric) PMI crafted, burnished and sent, I will entertain the faint notion that I may watch Arrow. And will inject my opinion into an opinion post. So hold ur breath.
:{]

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #6082 on: October 21, 2012, 04:45:11 PM »
oh right

i forgot about that.

about 8"
Tonya

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #6083 on: October 21, 2012, 04:49:45 PM »
Great.

But I genuinely think Detention has The Big Lebowski thing.

Tucah

« Reply #6084 on: October 21, 2012, 09:45:24 PM »
Downton s3e6

BATES STORYLINE IS OVER OH THANK GOD
[close]

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #6085 on: October 21, 2012, 11:45:41 PM »
i can't believe that i still don't hate arrow.

it's... i dunno.  it's not great, but it's not horrible.  it's a competent action show with very obvious drama elements tacked on but they don't clash horribly.

also Nashville is an entertaining watch.

Agree! I saw the 1st two eps and thought it was quite good in spite of being so obviously TV-grade in every way.

The saving grace is that the bow-and-arrow + MMA fight style works pretty damn well on a TV budget. I'm a bit tired of Ollie's relentless grimness, though it makes sense. You just want him to be charming at least occasionally. He was even a cold fish in the ice cream let's-be-friends scene.
vjj

Diunx

« Reply #6086 on: October 22, 2012, 01:28:12 AM »
Do the writers of Homeland really think the audience gives a shit about a fucking teenage love triangle? smh.
Drunk

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6087 on: October 22, 2012, 01:40:15 AM »
Do the writers of Homeland really think the audience gives a shit about a fucking teenage love triangle? smh.

You can't have a spy thriller show without teenage love bro.

[close]

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #6088 on: October 22, 2012, 01:44:05 AM »
Okay, this walking dead bit irritates the shit out of me because it doesn't make much sense:

If everyone's already infected with that zombie "virus," then why would a zombie bite be that dangerous, other than bacterial infection and such? Why would they have to amputate Hershel's leg (or anyone's) to prevent the spread of zombie  infection when he's already infected by it to begin with?
[close]
sup

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6089 on: October 22, 2012, 01:50:33 AM »
I always assumed

it was dormant while the host was alive, but a bite would activate it/spread to the brain
[close]

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #6090 on: October 22, 2012, 01:54:50 AM »
I suppose, either that or once you're dead you're like some sort of zombie komodo dragon with all kinds of crazy mutant bacteria stuck in your teeth that kills quicker than any antibiotic could fix it
sup

etiolate

« Reply #6091 on: October 22, 2012, 03:48:38 AM »
daayum homeland

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #6092 on: October 22, 2012, 03:50:47 AM »
Homeland

:0

ZephyrFate

« Reply #6093 on: October 22, 2012, 02:56:41 PM »
Homeland keeps destroying sunday nights every weekend

Tucah

« Reply #6094 on: October 22, 2012, 03:56:55 PM »
Homeland, that ending :o

Diunx

« Reply #6095 on: October 22, 2012, 07:17:24 PM »
Homeland is fucking insane, it's not some HBO at is best caliber show but damn if it isn't fucking entertaining. And just fucking give every best actress award in existence to Claire Danes no need to waste time with formalities :bow2
Drunk

Robo

« Reply #6096 on: October 23, 2012, 02:24:58 PM »
I accidentally watched the "Underemployed" pilot on MTV.  Or some of it—I got as far as shaggy-haired trustfund dipshit appealing to his multi-millionaire executive father for a job he's morally opposed to, but needs because he's broke and can't find morally acceptable work elsewhere.  But then I caught myself holding a knife to my throat and turned it off.
obo

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6097 on: October 24, 2012, 03:06:04 AM »
Downton s3e6

BATES STORYLINE IS OVER OH THANK GOD
[close]

Just watch, some more bullshit will come up

and omg @ the preview. Thomas gonna rape the new footman  :o
[close]

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #6098 on: October 24, 2012, 03:10:54 AM »
I am watching the first season of TNG why am I doing this :'(

Robo

« Reply #6099 on: October 24, 2012, 12:30:21 PM »
I watched four hours of INK MASTER and concluded that I will never get a tattoo ever in my life.

Also, subscribing to cable was a bad idea, clearly.
obo

Beezy

« Reply #6100 on: October 24, 2012, 01:11:37 PM »
I watched four hours of INK MASTER and concluded that I will never get a tattoo ever in my life.
Why not?

Robo

« Reply #6101 on: October 24, 2012, 01:24:08 PM »
I'm only half-kidding.  The show is supposed to showcase some of the best tattoo artists in the States, but they all SUCK (under pressure, at least) or have a style so specific that they're practically branding people whenever they do one.

But the mentality isn't for me.  They have people come on the show and describe their tattoo concept, the artist will put together a design overnight and the client will LOVE it right off, but then they show the design during the judging portion of the show and it's fucking terrible.  It blows my mind—I don't think I could ever love anyone else's good designs that much, let alone be content with putting one on my body forever after looking at it for a few minutes.

And when the artist is legitimately good, you're essentially becoming their living canvas, and I'm not exactly comfortable with that either.
obo

Robo

« Reply #6102 on: October 24, 2012, 03:42:24 PM »
Oh, of course—I see people all the time with amazing tattoos that I think look great on them, but I can't get to a place mentally where I can have someone tattoo a picture on my body.
obo

« Reply #6103 on: October 24, 2012, 03:48:22 PM »
I suppose, either that or once you're dead you're like some sort of zombie komodo dragon with all kinds of crazy mutant bacteria stuck in your teeth that kills quicker than any antibiotic could fix it

That's pretty much how I've thought of it. It doesn't make a whole ton of sense, but I've just accepted that the threat of a bit from a zombie is entirely different from the infection that turns one into a zombie. At the end of the day, it seems like kind of a pointless twist except to make the situation even more dire.

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #6104 on: October 24, 2012, 04:16:50 PM »
I have come to the profound conclusion that most stuff on TV is fucking awful.

AHS and Last Resort (because it might actually become good) are the only things that hold to following.

etiolate

« Reply #6105 on: October 24, 2012, 06:00:36 PM »
Downton Abbey is hilarious

ZephyrFate

« Reply #6106 on: October 25, 2012, 04:54:09 PM »
Happy Endings is back, and it's still super fucking hilarious.

Eliza Coupe is the funniest comedienne on TV.

Also,

Casey Wilson is such a great physical comedienne. I was laughing for ten minutes straight after this scene.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #6107 on: October 25, 2012, 11:18:36 PM »
FUCKING JESUS I HATE FELICITY SO MUCH GOD ALL THESE PEOPLE SUCK
pcp

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #6108 on: October 26, 2012, 01:01:28 AM »
goddamn it
AMC

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #6109 on: October 26, 2012, 07:42:28 AM »
I was way behind on Homeland, but last week did about 75% of the first season, plus this season (caught up by Sunday) and this show is so great. Every stupid turn is great. There was one where I went back to see if the character actually should have known, but nope, it's just randomly out of nowhere.

Don't Trust The Bitch is great.

The Middle is underrated.

The League has been disappointing.

I really like Elementary, it's like a darker version of Monk.

Also, watched all of Manhattan, AZ again. The only justification Hulu ever needed was putting it up: http://www.hulu.com/manhattan-az

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #6110 on: October 26, 2012, 07:43:19 AM »

Don't Trust The Bitch is great.

The League has been disappointing.

agree on both counts
Tonya

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #6111 on: October 26, 2012, 09:56:53 AM »

You can't be serious. This is one of the worst shows/comedies I have ever seen (and I used to watch WB all the time).

Beezy

« Reply #6112 on: October 26, 2012, 10:01:41 AM »

You can't be serious. This is one of the worst shows/comedies I have ever seen (and I used to watch WB all the time).
He's serious. Not sure what exactly it is that he sees in that corny show.

Diunx

« Reply #6113 on: October 26, 2012, 10:14:33 AM »
I had no idea comedienne was an actual real word.
Drunk

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #6114 on: October 26, 2012, 10:23:34 AM »
Eliza Coupe is the funniest comedienne on TV.

She was the only good thing about the last season of Scrubs. Still wouldn't watch Happy Endings for her
___

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #6115 on: October 26, 2012, 10:28:22 AM »
Happy Endings is great.
Tonya

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #6116 on: October 26, 2012, 11:35:57 AM »
I only viewed the latest episode, but is there some kind of ninth level of ironic detatchment I'm missing with this show that makes it watchable? It seems like they took the worst writers from Ally McBeal, the worst editor from Mtv and a bunch of pretty people and made a show.

That was the thing that really struck me .. was the pacing of the show was so hurried it became offensive.

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #6117 on: October 26, 2012, 11:51:25 AM »
It's essentially screwball comedy style patter overlaid a typical sitcom  There are many, many, many jokes set up each episode. The first season was good but the second one was much better.  I fear that they may be getting a bit more recursive and requiring you to know the continuity in a way that rewards people who have been watching since the first season ('sup) and may be off putting to first time viewers.

The second season is really strong.  I don't know if it's on netflix or anything but it's worth watching, I think. 

A string out of context gifs is certainly the worst way to experience this (or really, any) show.
Tonya

ZephyrFate

« Reply #6118 on: October 26, 2012, 04:35:45 PM »
Happy Endings is great.
Exactly. It's the most underrated sitcom out there and the pairing with Don't Trust the Bitch in APT 23 is awesome. The chemistry between the cast of HE is incredible and there's no other show that fits as many jokes-per-minute per episode besides Childrens Hospital.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 04:39:47 PM by ZephyrFate »

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #6119 on: October 26, 2012, 06:13:41 PM »
I will also vouch for Happy Endings. I also like all of the main characters on the show, which is rare for me in an ensemble show like this. There are usually at least one or two characters that I can't stand.
WDW