Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2083066 times)

Beezy

Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #13200 on: March 31, 2017, 11:24:40 PM »
Samurai Jack has been amazing so far, especially the latest episode.

Bebpo

« Reply #13201 on: March 31, 2017, 11:55:09 PM »
Ok, when does the Twin Peaks S2 start getting real bad?  I wonder if I'm at that part.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm on ep8 or 9 where they just revealed Bob is Laura's dad and he killed her cousin and police have arrested Ben Horn
[close]

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #13202 on: April 01, 2017, 12:31:37 AM »
It will nosedive pretty hard from there. They'll drag that specific plot point then switch the plots...

I mean, it's not utter trash but still... If you like the good bits you should see to completion.
ὕβρις

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #13203 on: April 01, 2017, 04:28:38 AM »
For me it was when the older woman started thinking she was a high school girl again, and how they kept dipping into that storyline. I wanted it to go away pretty badly.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #13204 on: April 01, 2017, 11:51:32 AM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #13205 on: April 01, 2017, 08:33:29 PM »

Bebpo

« Reply #13206 on: April 01, 2017, 08:58:23 PM »

Man, this better not suck and get cancelled before they can get to the ending of the book.  That OP doesn't really scream the next GoT/Westworld to me, which AG could totally be if done right.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #13207 on: April 01, 2017, 09:09:25 PM »
Honestly I'm getting annoyed with how much American Gods has been advertised to me -- just let me watch it alreadyyyyyy

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #13208 on: April 01, 2017, 09:10:55 PM »
There's a new Rick and Morty I see on a torrent list.. not sure if April fools

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #13209 on: April 01, 2017, 09:36:43 PM »
New Trailer Park Boys season is out and it's bad.  Really bad.  Worse than last season.  Time to hang it up.
🍆🍆

Optimus

• Lieutenant colonel, 26th Hate Machine battalion
« Reply #13210 on: April 01, 2017, 09:55:23 PM »
Those assholes. Those fucking assholes. They released Rick and Morty on April Fools. Best April Fools prank ever but these people are assholes, fucking assholes.

edit: This is hilarious, called a friend who is a huge fan of the show, didn't believe me, I started laughing and he hang up on me.

Syph

« Reply #13211 on: April 01, 2017, 10:04:40 PM »
New Trailer Park Boys season is out and it's bad.  Really bad.  Worse than last season.  Time to hang it up.
it's cause J-roc left and because it's more Bubbles oriented
I'd bet money Mike Smith has gained increasingly more input on the scripts (to their detriment)
I don't think the season was bad but it definitely wasn't their best work.
On the other hand, I appreciated that they tried to do some new things.
On the other other hand (lol), I don't like that they left certain things unresolved, like
who is Ricky's real dad? and why did Lahey think he was the dad?
[close]
Also didn't like how they really changed Julian's character; he was never an outright dick he always had good intentions in the end
XO

helios

« Reply #13212 on: April 01, 2017, 11:01:19 PM »
I want to try that Mulan McNugget Sauce.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #13213 on: April 01, 2017, 11:09:29 PM »

its real

helios

« Reply #13214 on: April 01, 2017, 11:25:49 PM »
It should still be streaming/airing. One more time, though.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #13215 on: April 01, 2017, 11:50:56 PM »
Man, this better not suck and get cancelled before they can get to the ending of the book.  That OP doesn't really scream the next GoT/Westworld to me, which AG could totally be if done right.
They aren't going to follow the book much after the first season, Fuller and Gaiman already worked out a way to diverge the two in a season or two. That's part of what roped Gaiman back in after the first few adaptation failures, was that Fuller and Green didn't want to do a straight adaption but instead a show set in the same world that simply starts with the same premise. He had mostly written it off like most everything else people try to adapt of his before they came on.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #13216 on: April 02, 2017, 01:02:55 AM »
not to get your hopes up further but so far Starz tends to renew in blocks of two. This is definitely gonna be at least two seasons but don't be surprised if we get at least 4.

Bebpo

« Reply #13217 on: April 02, 2017, 02:44:17 AM »
They aren't going to follow the book much after the first season, Fuller and Gaiman already worked out a way to diverge the two in a season or two. That's part of what roped Gaiman back in after the first few adaptation failures, was that Fuller and Green didn't want to do a straight adaption but instead a show set in the same world that simply starts with the same premise. He had mostly written it off like most everything else people try to adapt of his before they came on.

They have to follow the general outline of the book or the first season makes no sense.  The entire premise a mystery premise and at some point they have to reveal the mystery.

Book ending spoilers:
I mean the whole story is a setup/lead up that there's a battle of the gods coming and factions are forming, the payoff is the battle and then the big twist that Odin set the whole thing up as a blood sacrifice for himself.

Like if they don't do that, then the whole show is worthless imo.  While the book meanders along the way, that finish was strong and made it a satisfying tale.  It'd be like adapting Game of Thrones Book 1-3 and not doing the Red Wedding.  The only problem is that once you do that in the show, where else do you go?  That's basically the ending.  I read on gaf months back in one of the AG threads that apparently the gameplan is doing the book story over 3 seasons with original material along the way.  I'm fine with that as long as the show doesn't get cancelled so we get to season 3 and the ending.  Basically I don't want a live-action AG adaptation if the story's not going to get an ending.
[close]

benjipwns

« Reply #13218 on: April 02, 2017, 05:13:33 AM »
Gaiman didn't consider the book to be the end of the storyline and has said he had a direct sequel concept ready along with the short story follow ups, maybe he's handing it over to the show instead of writing it. :trumps

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #13219 on: April 02, 2017, 11:21:04 PM »

I saw people posting about it, reacting to it, I assumed all of it was a running APRIL FOOLS gag, and was determined not to be fished in.
:lol

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5h08qo

I was even more shocked at the follow-up episode today:
https://goo.gl/xiQTi7

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #13220 on: April 04, 2017, 10:36:47 AM »
I like that show

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #13221 on: April 04, 2017, 08:51:22 PM »
Thanks to the one week a year where Xfinity is based (Watchathon), I've been watching Ash vs Evil Dead season 2. The upgrade in quality from season one is amazing. It's SO much better in season 2.

I'll have to check it out; I was happy-ish with season 1, but the finale felt super-duper tacked on and actually out of character for Ash. I've read the arguments about his level of responsibility but, pfeh! Army of Darkness Ash was a dude who kicked ass whenever possible, damn the consequences.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #13222 on: April 05, 2017, 08:10:37 PM »
If you were happy-ish with season 1, you should be very happy with season 2.

**rubs hands together in gleeful anticipation**

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #13223 on: April 05, 2017, 08:18:01 PM »
Watching some Married With Children.

chronovore

• relapsed dev

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #13225 on: April 10, 2017, 02:42:28 PM »

Bebpo

« Reply #13226 on: April 11, 2017, 02:00:39 AM »
So Twin Peaks S2 is getting good again.  Had some boring eps between ep9-13 or so, but now they're doing the Wyndom Earl partner subplot and white lodge underground stuff and there's enough interesting going on that it's pretty compelling again even though the Leo subplot & Nadine subplots are terrible.  Crazy Ben Horn was boring initially, but I just saw the ep last night where he thinks he's a general in the civil war and turns on the fan to blow his flag while singing southern marches and that's  :lol enough to make it watchable.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #13227 on: April 11, 2017, 08:23:34 PM »

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/04/11/the-first-trailer-for-spike-tvs-adaptation-of-the-mist-is-here
“I wanted to be respectful to the source material, but my feeling was there was already a great adaptation out there by Frank Darabont...

The novella is 200 pages and one location, and we needed to change that to make an ongoing series. But we wanted to remain faithful to the heart of the story,”
– Christian Torpe, show creator

This is intriguing, as I've read the novella and, because I loved the Darabont movie (ending left me gutted), I'm interested in seeing new interpretations of the scenario.

Bebpo

« Reply #13228 on: April 11, 2017, 09:33:45 PM »
I didn't even know that was a thing.  Yeah, I loved the story (pretty much top10 King) but I was completely satisfied and happy with the movie.  I can see how a TV series would work, but I hope they have the budget for creepy Lovecraft-tastic monsters because that's what makes it work.

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #13229 on: April 12, 2017, 08:44:36 AM »
It's probably going to be another Under the Dome
WDW

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #13230 on: April 12, 2017, 02:08:25 PM »
Anyone heard of SKAM? I doubt it's anyone's thing here, but I really like it. It's a Norwegian drama that has gotten a lot of international recognition for being very good at helping teenagers and young people through certain phases in their life. One of the seasons focus on a gay couple, show people how hard it is to come out, but also how important it is to be yourself and so on. It has lovely diversity, honesty and humor. It's very real, although it focuses on Norwegian culture so things will obviously be different than other countries etc. If you have kids between 13 and 20, I highly recommend you suggest it to them. Or if you secretly love drama-romance, you should check it out. Easy to find English subs online!

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #13231 on: April 13, 2017, 10:34:23 AM »
Started Hap and Leonard with my wife. The character interaction is pretty good. I expected more supernatural stuff to happen, considering I only know Lansdale as a horror author, but I guess that was selling him short.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #13232 on: April 13, 2017, 12:53:51 PM »
Started Hap and Leonard with my wife. The character interaction is pretty good. I expected more supernatural stuff to happen, considering I only know Lansdale as a horror author, but I guess that was selling him short.

Second season airing stateside rn too btw, i had no idea it got renewed since idk anyon who watched it. Tho i do think it's on US netflix now.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #13233 on: April 13, 2017, 09:02:24 PM »

Second season airing stateside rn too btw, i had no idea it got renewed since idk anyon who watched it. Tho i do think it's on US netflix now.

Yeah, I've not heard ANYONE else talk about it, despite Lansdale as source material. I hope s2 comes to Amazon Streaming Japan, like s1. I was shocked to see it show up, after I waffled on an iTunes series purchase for ages.

Bebpo

« Reply #13234 on: April 15, 2017, 04:13:06 AM »
Didn't even recognize Billy Zane in Twin Peaks S2 until I saw his name in the credit roll.  What the heck happened to him?  In TP he's like a much better looking Henry Cavill.  Pretty much 11/10 pinnacle of an attractive man, and then in the next two decades he's generic bald Mummy guy and lol Hitman Agent 47 b-roles.  Did he go bald and lose his career & sex appeal along with his hair?  Brutal if that's what happened.

Also David Lynch's acting as Gordon Cole is SO GOOD.  Almost is the best character in the whole show and steals every scene he's in.  Kinda makes me wish David Lynch pursued a career in comedic acting rather than writing/directing.  He's so funny.

Bebpo

« Reply #13235 on: April 17, 2017, 12:20:40 AM »
Finished Twin Peaks S2.  Will watch the movie.  I heard the movie is a prequel?  So is this where the show leaves off and S3 will pick up? 

S2 after ep8-9 is not that good.  Wyndom Earl and the lodge starts off interesting and mysterious but once Earl is a character in the show itself, he's a lame villian.  S2 definitely had good scenes spread throughout.  I like a lot of the characters.  The final ep was interesting lore but doesn't really go anywhere since the show ends.  Good show but the first 16-18 eps are the best.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #13236 on: April 17, 2017, 01:02:17 AM »
yeah it's a prequel but it sorta shines a light on some of the stuff that happens in the series and in a roundabout way kinda resolves some stuff? It's strange, don't think too hard about it when you're watching.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #13237 on: April 17, 2017, 01:04:31 AM »
The movie is a prequel yeah, though it's not really that important because it's first and foremost some more Lynch weirdness.
Glad you liked it and your opinion is pretty much the consensus view.
ὕβρις

Nola

« Reply #13238 on: April 17, 2017, 02:11:19 AM »
Nice to see the reviews for American Gods looking so positive.

I knew I was being foolish to think that HBO passing on this meant much of anything....Other then being a positive indicator.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #13239 on: April 17, 2017, 04:09:37 AM »
Nice to see the reviews for American Gods looking so positive.

I knew I was being foolish to think that HBO passing on this meant much of anything....Other then being a positive indicator.

HBO passing on something is way less worrying than Showtime picking it up imho. Hopefully it'll still be rad

Bebpo

« Reply #13240 on: April 17, 2017, 05:33:33 AM »
I could see HBO passing on it for lack of T&A.  For the most part, the show is about a bunch of old people + main guy.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #13241 on: April 17, 2017, 10:41:39 AM »
So is anyone watching Riverdale?

I'm pretty hooked to it. It's Twin Peaks lite with trashy teens and it's great. It sets up a pretty good mystery and continues to layer on the intrigue and reveals. It's also super pretty to look at.
nat

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #13242 on: April 17, 2017, 11:22:31 AM »

I'm pretty hooked to it. It's Twin Peaks lite with trashy teens and it's great. It sets up a pretty good mystery and continues to layer on the intrigue and reveals. It's also super pretty to look at.
I do! Just waiting for the newest episode. Check out 13 Reasons Why, it's like Riverdale, just way way better (higher rated and more votes). It's a lot more interesting!

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #13243 on: April 17, 2017, 12:37:25 PM »

I do! Just waiting for the newest episode. Check out 13 Reasons Why, it's like Riverdale, just way way better (higher rated and more votes). It's a lot more interesting!
haha, i totally described 13 reasons as a more intense Riverdale to a friend of mine that likes Riverdale!
She watched 13 reasons and got as depressed as I did  :goldberg
[close]

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #13244 on: April 17, 2017, 03:23:12 PM »
I could see HBO passing on it for lack of T&A.  For the most part, the show is about a bunch of old people + main guy.

But they would have had Eastre and Bilquis to work with

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #13245 on: April 17, 2017, 06:53:55 PM »

Yeah, I've not heard ANYONE else talk about it, despite Lansdale as source material. I hope s2 comes to Amazon Streaming Japan, like s1. I was shocked to see it show up, after I waffled on an iTunes series purchase for ages.

Follow-up: I watched the final episode and, while I enjoyed it, it wasn't what I expected. That's kind of good and kind of bad.  From an editing standpoint, or perhaps just screenplay, it had four or five potential ending points, and just wandered blasé-ly past each of them.  It also committed the trope sin of referring to their "real life," stating "This isn't like it is in books or TV."  It might've worked in the book, but in the TV show it felt very awkward.

Nola

« Reply #13246 on: April 17, 2017, 08:49:44 PM »

Honestly, the more I think about it, I just think they sort of lost it about a decade ago.... At least when it comes to flagship awards dramas.

They still have the reputation(and can seem to find a way to replace their pop culture darling dramas when need be) so they get first pickings it seems. Now have Hollywood people swooning over them(and vice versa). Yet with that advantage you would think a network that is now built on "buzz" and "notoriety" to drive subscriptions, would have found at least 1 drama since The Sopranos that could win year in and year out for Best Drama?

Yet they are still searching lol..... In that period basically gifting AMC the ability to become a relevant long-form network by passing on The Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, and Mad Men.

Bebpo

« Reply #13247 on: April 17, 2017, 11:53:00 PM »
Watching Fire Walk with Me and it's so boring :(  the first 20 mins with new cops, new story was good, but back in Twin Peaks with Laura is so zzzzzzzzz.  Think I'm like halfway now. 

Bebpo

« Reply #13248 on: April 18, 2017, 12:56:21 AM »
Everything after the intro was terrible.  I don't think I've liked anything Lynch less :(  The problem is we already know Laura Palmer's story from the TV show.  There's no tension, no mystery, it's just watching something you already know play out veryyyyy slowly.  There were a few good scenes, but just felt like a total waste of time.  Would rather the movie be about Keifer Sutherland and his partner working the prequel case for the whole film.

Not sure how I feel about S3 after S2+movie...

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #13249 on: April 19, 2017, 08:43:10 PM »
I thought I'd posted about this, but I also picked up the single season of Constantine on a recent sale. This could have been an absolutely fantastic series. It should have been picked up by Starz or Showtime, or even Sundance. Hell, put it on whichever channel is handling the Flash/Arrow stuff, put it in the same universe! Matt Ryan is spot-on perfect as John Constantine. I'm less enthused about turning Chas into some kind of unkillable sidekick with puppy-like devotion. I prefer him as the long-suffering, compelled by undeserved loyalty character in the comics. The woman who plays Zed in the show is nice on the eyes, but cannot act her way out of a paper bag. She has "smouldering/flirty" and "vacant/baffled" as her two go-to looks. Aldis Hodge is fantastic as Papa Voodoo, and that dude needs to be recognized beyond his work in Leverage. The dude has range.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #13250 on: April 21, 2017, 10:34:58 PM »
or maybe you're just a weirdo and it is trash

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #13251 on: April 22, 2017, 01:15:26 AM »

gonna be good :rejoice

benjipwns

« Reply #13252 on: April 22, 2017, 03:09:04 AM »
I thought I'd posted about this, but I also picked up the single season of Constantine on a recent sale. This could have been an absolutely fantastic series. It should have been picked up by Starz or Showtime, or even Sundance. Hell, put it on whichever channel is handling the Flash/Arrow stuff, put it in the same universe! Matt Ryan is spot-on perfect as John Constantine. I'm less enthused about turning Chas into some kind of unkillable sidekick with puppy-like devotion. I prefer him as the long-suffering, compelled by undeserved loyalty character in the comics. The woman who plays Zed in the show is nice on the eyes, but cannot act her way out of a paper bag. She has "smouldering/flirty" and "vacant/baffled" as her two go-to looks. Aldis Hodge is fantastic as Papa Voodoo, and that dude needs to be recognized beyond his work in Leverage. The dude has range.
Lucifer basically turned into Constantine, even grabbed the whole "angel freezes time and momentarily confuses the lead character and has some greater role" power and all the "round up the crap lose with larger hinted at arcs" or I would have been even more upset. They were starting to fix Chas and Zed too. The fakeout on who the sidekick would be in the pilot episode was funny.

I know you're a bit behind us and this isn't really an Arrow spoiler but just in case:
Ryan is Constantine in the Arrowverse. He's showed up in an episode already. He's also doing the voice in an upcoming animated series for the CW/CBS's online thing that's set in the Arrowverse.

And he did the voice in the Justice League Dark animated movie that just came out. So Warner seems to be handing him the role.
[close]

The funny thing is I want to say that Ryan does an accent.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #13253 on: April 22, 2017, 10:03:51 AM »
Yeah I felt like they would have found their footing had they been given another season or maybe even just a handful for more eps. Just when the show kinda gets going, reveals it's twists etc its done.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #13254 on: April 24, 2017, 06:01:55 PM »
Yeah I felt like they would have found their footing had they been given another season or maybe even just a handful for more eps. Just when the show kinda gets going, reveals its twists etc it's done.
(Fixed. Sorry, could not resist.)
Yeah, they're clearly on the right path. The show is building to an epic arc, as well as including Zed, who is central to a different major arc in the book.

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #13255 on: April 24, 2017, 07:44:50 PM »
They should bring Constantine into Legends of Tomorrow, he'd make as much sense being on that team as anyone else would
WDW

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #13256 on: April 24, 2017, 08:39:23 PM »
They should bring Constantine into Legends of Tomorrow, he'd make as much sense being on that team as anyone else would

So everything launches a year or more late for Japanese video releases. Legends of Tomorrow looked interesting, but I hadn't caught on that it was Caity Lotz as Sara Lance in it. So I was utterly baffled when things went down as they did on Arrow.
Canary leaves town at the end of season 2, I think, and then comes back in the first episode of s3 JUST to get MOWED down and be the central mystery which, when solved, is just that bullshit setup by Malcolm Merlyn.

But there she is, White Canary, alongside ATOM and Captain Cold and Brother Hot-and-Dumb. From a setup point, I'm unclear on how they're rationalizing working with villains.

Oh man, and then there's the DC cinematic universe's Suicide Squad, which I briefly wondered how they'd tie it into the TV show, but then, BOOM, TV's Amanda Waller is shot in the forehead and the movie falls on its face.

The allergy medicine I'm on makes my tangential nature even worse, apparently.
[close]

I guess where I'd intended to head with this is that Legends of Tomorrow, without having seen it, appears to be something time-travel related, but Constantine has to deal with an inexorable march toward a confrontation between two massive forces. In John's original run in Swamp Thing, it was about God and Satan having a massive dust-up, literally a battle for creation. It feels like that would be hard to handle if the stories were being told non-sequentially.

I'm going to sign off until my brain comes back to work.  :-\

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #13257 on: April 24, 2017, 10:06:58 PM »
Legends of Tomorrow's first season is a bit of a slog, but it's second season has been my favorite DC/CW show this tv season. Here's how I would rate how they are all doing:

Legends: Lots of wacky fun
Arrow: Pretty good after coming off of a horrible season and a half
Supergirl: Started ok and has not been improving. Episodes range from meh to blah
Flash: Pretty abysmal which is a shame because it used to be my fav
Gotham: wtf, as usual
I, Zombie: only had two episodes this season so far, but I like it
WDW

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #13258 on: April 24, 2017, 10:54:58 PM »
fun little kinda spoilery thing on why you should watch legends. It's probably the most comic book thing on tv rn outside of cartoons. 1st bit of a slot yeah but by season 2 it basically becomes a 90s adventure show like Xena or Hercules. Just dumb over the top but loads of heart. It's like one of those crazier kamen rider seasons now, the ones where they have six million riders.

iZombie is good, I really like it.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 11:04:19 PM by toku »

etiolate

« Reply #13259 on: April 25, 2017, 12:47:30 AM »
new season of Silicon Valley started up

first episode a bit too much cringe for me, but I like the premise for the season