Author Topic: Halo 3  (Read 29429 times)

hyp

• Casual Gamer™
Re: Halo 3
« Reply #180 on: September 27, 2007, 03:05:32 PM »
best halo ever.  the magic from part 1 has finally come back.  can't say i've had as many laugh out loud moments and genuine fun in any other game this gen.  (ok maybe some drunk wii sessions) 4 player online co-op with friends is the greatest feature to grace ANY game.  bungie fuckin' delivers.
pyh

« Reply #181 on: September 27, 2007, 05:20:09 PM »
So, uh, does Halo 3 tie into Marathon continuity?
野球

Robo

« Reply #182 on: September 27, 2007, 05:25:33 PM »
So, uh, does Halo 3 tie into Marathon continuity?

This needs to be answered.  I got the impression from somewhere that the Terminals you find have something to do with Marathon, but the messages were all cryptic bullshit to me.  Maybe just a self-homage? (lol bungie)
obo

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #183 on: September 27, 2007, 05:34:20 PM »
There are only 7 terminals, I just got them for the achievement.
fat

Robo

« Reply #184 on: September 27, 2007, 05:40:26 PM »
I actually only half-read them.  I was too far into Gaylo kill-die-bleed action mode to stop and read some iheartbees nonsense.
obo

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #185 on: September 27, 2007, 05:58:21 PM »
in reply to Billy's spoiler
You fight two at once later on
[close]
fat

Robo

« Reply #186 on: September 27, 2007, 06:02:17 PM »
In spite of my earlier nitpicking about relying on the A.I. during that part, I totally agree.  :bow
obo

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #187 on: September 27, 2007, 06:04:07 PM »
I think tagging a Wraith is a better feeling, cause they kept fucking killing me when I rushed them.
fat

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #188 on: September 27, 2007, 06:15:12 PM »
I just hit the cartographer - how close am I to the end?
PSP

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #189 on: September 27, 2007, 06:15:41 PM »
There are 9 levels, see which achievement you last unlocked
fat

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #190 on: September 27, 2007, 06:29:53 PM »
Okay, so I'm 2/3rds the way through.
PSP

FatalT

« Reply #191 on: September 27, 2007, 06:31:15 PM »
Halo 3 is so awesome.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 06:38:33 PM by FatalT »

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #192 on: September 27, 2007, 06:37:26 PM »

drohne

« Reply #193 on: September 27, 2007, 07:37:22 PM »
LEVEL FOUR SPOILERZ

spoiler (click to show/hide)
i spent like 15 minutes trying to jump a ghost onto the scarab from that crane -- because that would have been fucking awesome. then i said 'forget it' and jumped on without the ghost. i killed the literally two brutes and two grunts manning the deck when i noticed that shielded panel on the back -- 'oh, i guess they locked the door; there must be a bunch of hardass motherfuckers inside' -- but actually i shot the thing and the whole scarab blew up. :/

maybe i should have done the whole 'shoot the legs' thing first, cos the way i did it, it wasn't as cool as halo 2's scarab. yeah, that one was totally scripted, but it had dozens of elites on board and made for a really memorable fight.
[close]

abrader

• Bomb-A-Daeus
« Reply #194 on: September 27, 2007, 09:20:23 PM »
Halo 1, 2, and 3 combined have now taken my favorate game spot away from Super CastleVania 4.

They need a boxed trilogy soon with Halo 1 and 2 redone with the Halo 3 engine.

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #195 on: September 28, 2007, 02:45:01 AM »
just got my copy lol
萌え~

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #196 on: September 28, 2007, 06:27:40 AM »

Microsoft would be smart if they did this in a year or so.  Halo trilogy boxset with updated graphics for the first two installments, a bonus DVD of the creation of the entire trilogy and extra multiplayer maps for Halo 3.  Charge $80 and they'd make a fortune.
PSP

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #197 on: September 28, 2007, 06:30:39 AM »
Don't charge $80.  And for god's sake don't charge for DLC maps.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #198 on: September 28, 2007, 11:22:29 AM »
Last update from my buddy:

"halo 3 = sold"

:lol
AMC

Robo

« Reply #199 on: September 28, 2007, 01:41:15 PM »

For Allah's sake, Bungie, don't make buckets of money!
obo

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #200 on: September 28, 2007, 01:44:41 PM »

Microsoft would be smart if they did this in a year or so.  Halo trilogy boxset with updated graphics for the first two installments, a bonus DVD of the creation of the entire trilogy and extra multiplayer maps for Halo 3.  Charge $80 and they'd make a fortune.

They already have upgraded Halo 1 and 2.  They're called the PC versions.  Seeing how most of the complaints about Halo 3 are related to the lack of AA and overall blurriness, MS will probably release a PC version to show H3 in its full glory. 

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #201 on: September 28, 2007, 01:47:47 PM »

I don't think you need to worry about charging for maps anymore.

most if not all the DLC maps on the 360 were not free then after some time they made them free.

for example, see halo 2, gears of war and lost planet maps.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #202 on: September 28, 2007, 03:53:21 PM »
most if not all the DLC maps on the 360 were not free then after some time they made them free.
I know but it's just stupid as hell that you start up halo 2 in 2007 and then it says "PAY $4 OR DON'T PLAY RANKED GAMES FOR A FEW MONTHS."

I mean, whenever that happened everybody went over to BTB.

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #203 on: September 28, 2007, 04:49:20 PM »
I know but it's just stupid as hell that you start up halo 2 in 2007 and then it says "PAY $4 OR DON'T PLAY RANKED GAMES FOR A FEW MONTHS."

I mean, whenever that happened everybody went over to BTB.

I know what you mean man.

shit happened with me in Gears, everyone was enjoying the new maps while my ass kept getting kicked till they become free.

Gears really needed a map filter badly.

abrader

• Bomb-A-Daeus
« Reply #204 on: September 28, 2007, 06:06:31 PM »

Right - but you are telling me you wouldnt buy a super killer nice Halo Trilogy for X360 (complete with Halo/Halo2 rebirth episodes?)? I would buy it tomorrow if it ws on the shelf. Id pay up to 100$. Also an extra disk of online/lan maps or some shyt - bring the online community to the next level by bringing Halo 1 ans 2 multiplayer co-op to XBLA.

Fuck all there is so much awesome potential there.

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #205 on: September 28, 2007, 06:10:02 PM »
just won my first 3 matchmaking gamez

oddball :rock
萌え~

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #206 on: September 28, 2007, 06:21:35 PM »

Right - but you are telling me you wouldnt buy a super killer nice Halo Trilogy for X360 (complete with Halo/Halo2 rebirth episodes?)? I would buy it tomorrow if it ws on the shelf. Id pay up to 100$. Also an extra disk of online/lan maps or some shyt - bring the online community to the next level by bringing Halo 1 ans 2 multiplayer co-op to XBLA.

Fuck all there is so much awesome potential there.

I'd rather have them on the next Xbox with even more superior graphics  :D

Robo

« Reply #207 on: September 28, 2007, 07:10:25 PM »
I suck so much ass at Halo 3 multiplayer and my unfamiliarity with the Halo and Halo 2 maps makes it even worse.  I lose almost every confrontation that involves a beatdown and when I finally do get the jump on someone, someone else runs up and starts tag teaming me.  I swear, Slayer is all about finding where the action is and cleaning up people who are already fighting and half-dead.  Thats the primary strategy behind scoring big.  Fucking janitors!

Everyone post your bungie.net service records so we can see who sucks the most!

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Halo3/default.aspx?player=jim+robobo
obo

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #208 on: September 28, 2007, 07:18:45 PM »
AMC

hyp

• Casual Gamer™
« Reply #209 on: September 28, 2007, 07:43:01 PM »
pyh

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #210 on: September 28, 2007, 07:44:50 PM »
fat

Robo

« Reply #211 on: September 28, 2007, 08:01:08 PM »
Other than demi, who apparently hasn't gotten around to trying to get the online achievements yet, I'm the worst so far by a considerable margin. :'(  If you click the badges at the top, you can see kill/death ratio and a bunch of other statistics.
obo

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #212 on: September 28, 2007, 08:20:35 PM »
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Halo3/default.aspx?player=lovas

just put up a short clip of me another teammate planting the bomb :bow
萌え~

thekavorka

« Reply #213 on: September 28, 2007, 08:28:02 PM »
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Halo3/Default.aspx?player=Dr%20Tim%20Whatley

I just finished basic training(matchmaking for newbies). I'd be up for some games tonight. 
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 08:43:31 PM by thekavorka »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #214 on: September 28, 2007, 09:21:18 PM »
I just got the super secret skull nobody could find :rock
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #215 on: September 28, 2007, 11:54:25 PM »
I'll play with you when you get back.
fat

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #216 on: September 29, 2007, 02:51:10 AM »
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Halo3/Default.aspx?player=AfrikaShoxx - this is 99% my brother playing. I'm not that good at this game (I am really bad at any game that requires 3D movement and dual analog manipulation, I am MUCH better at 2-D and retrogaming), even though I'm the best of my friends.
^_^

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #217 on: September 29, 2007, 03:10:05 AM »
Halo 1, 2, and 3 combined have now taken my favorate game spot away from Super CastleVania 4.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see that in like 2 years.
serge

drohne

« Reply #218 on: September 29, 2007, 03:22:49 AM »
'the ark' is a shockingly great mission -- it's beautifully constructed and paced, and it manages to include basically everything that's good about halo. took me like an hour and a half on heroic, though as ever, much of that was spent in silly experimentation. i love how the game is starting to revisit scenery from the first halo -- IT'S HALO HD BUT IN A GOOD WAY. another couple missions of this quality, and i think this is my goty...though the level design in halo games has a way of taking unexpected swandives
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 03:24:52 AM by drohne »

FatalT

« Reply #219 on: September 29, 2007, 07:25:03 AM »

hyp

• Casual Gamer™
« Reply #220 on: September 29, 2007, 06:43:19 PM »
I just got the super secret skull nobody could find :rock

i got all the skulls last night.  holy shit @ the covenant level one!
pyh

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #221 on: September 29, 2007, 06:44:59 PM »
Yeah, it's insane how to get that one. I'm not sure what it does, though. It is supposed to add dialogue, but I didnt hear anything out of the ordinary.
fat

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #222 on: September 29, 2007, 09:36:41 PM »
'the ark' is a shockingly great mission -- it's beautifully constructed and paced, and it manages to include basically everything that's good about halo. took me like an hour and a half on heroic, though as ever, much of that was spent in silly experimentation. i love how the game is starting to revisit scenery from the first halo -- IT'S HALO HD BUT IN A GOOD WAY. another couple missions of this quality, and i think this is my goty...though the level design in halo games has a way of taking unexpected swandives

Halo 3 is giving me much more than I expected so far.  I expected the same old Halo gameplay but the amount of new weapons, vehicles, equipment have brought a lot of freshness to the experience.  The comrades' AI feels even more natural than before.  Halo 3 is so much more refined than its predecessors that I don't know if it's fair anymore to call it Halo HD.  The game has been so fun that even a graphics whore like me is willing to overlook its visual flaws.  It's a shame that the overall blurriness detract quite a bit from an otherwise beautiful game.  The lighting and amount of action going on are some of the best I've ever seen.  I'm sure that the eventual PC port will look quite stunning with a higher res and AA. 

I wouldn't be surprised if we see that in like 2 years.

Like I said, we already have upgraded Halo 1 and 2.  They're just on the PC.  I hope that Halo 3 will be on the PC by next fall but that's probably too optimistic. 
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 11:07:36 PM by Smooth Groove »

y2kev

• *your name here* annihilated...
« Reply #223 on: September 29, 2007, 09:38:13 PM »
halo 3 is really great
haw

drohne

« Reply #224 on: September 29, 2007, 11:35:22 PM »
i don't think halo 3 is a particular leap from halo 2 -- halo 2 was the big stylistic leap, though it wasn't wholly successful. the thing about halo 3 is that it's consistently good. neither of the previous games was anything of the sort -- halo 3's heights aren't as high as the first game's, but it doesn't really have those valleys. it's mostly the game halo 2 should have been. though its writing is abysmal -- its attempts at snappy action movie lines fall hilariously flat, its characters play totally against their strengths, and it gives you a new idiotic twist before you've managed to digest the last idiotic twist. halo 2 had moments of charm.

two levels left. i think i'll manage to squeeze them in tonight.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 11:38:14 PM by drohne »

y2kev

« Reply #225 on: September 30, 2007, 12:43:01 AM »
You're going to hate level 8.

Absolutely hate it.

but 9 is as high as halo 1. but i think storming the beach in level 7 is as good as Silent Cartographer.
haw

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #226 on: September 30, 2007, 01:23:00 AM »
just finished the fight

it was good

flood bad

fuck those green spike shooting things. also having to destroy the bodies after they are down kind of sucks.

萌え~

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #227 on: September 30, 2007, 02:12:00 AM »
You're going to hate level 8.

Absolutely hate it.

but 9 is as high as halo 1. but i think storming the beach in level 7 is as good as Silent Cartographer.

I really didn't mind 8 at all, but then again I like fighting the flood.  The flood are horribly underappreciated imo.  I love the feeling of fighting them in the Halo games - everything is out of control while you're fighting for your life, running out of ammo and the dead are coming back to life leaving  you to scramble for an exit....it just seems so desperate.  The Covenant battles can get nuts too but there's also a feeling of containment while the Flood is a fight for pure survival (at least on Heroic and Legendary).

Personally, I think the bookends of the game (levels 1 and 9) are probably my least favorite parts of the game.  I got to give credit to Sierra 117 for the installation battle at the end, that was pretty good, but there are just way too many annoying snipers scattered throughout that level and the design as a whole just wasn't interesting.  Level 9's call back to the first game just fell flat with me.  I didn't care for it then and I don't care for it now.  I would've liked to see something else, particularly when it came to Guilty Spark and the Gravemind....seems to me a lot of untapped  potential was left sitting on the table.

Level 7 though is probably the best level I've ever played in a FPS, or possibly any game for that matter.  So much win in that section that it should be criminal.
Tacos

y2kev

« Reply #228 on: September 30, 2007, 03:06:57 AM »
8's problem for me was that:

1. I was playing on legendary and the flood turrets are really so unforgiving.
2. I got turned around in that level quite a few times
3. It looked like Prey, replete with assholes and so on
4. The story bits were obnoxious and wasteful
5. The stuff I like halo for is not in this level, or, for that matter, Halo 2 really.

I used to hate the flood. Used to, anyway. They're much better in Halo 3. They fight considerably more intelligently and there are more varied flood types. I just seriously dislike close quarters fighting like that. The melee is too disorienting for me. It reminded me of stabbing in the dark on High Charity of Halo 2, which is like the low point of the series for me.

But, fundamentally, they still jump around way too much, have those little fuckers that are too difficult to kill, and the TURRETS in this game are RUTHLESS. I hate them.

Anyway, I loved 9 because the homage to Halo 1 really worked for me. My hands were sweating like I can't remember. But I definitely see how it could fall flat. It was cheap even. But it was so awesome.

The story shit is so obtrusive in level 8. The game's writing is lollie and it's just so in your face in that mission. I dunno.

7 is soooo amazing. 3, 4, 6, and 7 are some of my favorite levels ever.

I see what you mean about Sierra 117. I just replayed it and it's a much more enjoyable level on easier difficulties. Legendary means the snipers are incredibly precise and powerful. And the game's erratic checkpoint system means you are going to be repeating a lot of the sniper sections multiple times.

But I can't even imagine playing Tsavo highway on normal. 1up members complaining about how hard it is on heroic are really out there after they all pretend to be megafans. I suck at FPS and even I slugged through legendary...and it was an amazing experience. Keep in mind I had to drop down in Halo 2 because it was so boring and repetitive.

I don't like Halo 2 very much.

H3's multiplayer is also crack. Wonderful wonderful crack.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 03:08:54 AM by y2kev »
haw

y2kev

« Reply #229 on: September 30, 2007, 03:13:05 AM »
P.S. Hitler, I was glad you replied to me here. I was trying to dig for your posts in the thread on GAF...but it's like 900 pages.

I was really interested in reading how you felt. You can't really talk Halo 3 on GAF outside the huuuuuuge thread right now without someone starting a thread about how it's ruining Microsoft's bottom line or killing xbox.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 03:26:13 AM by y2kev »
haw

drohne

« Reply #230 on: September 30, 2007, 03:56:29 AM »
yeah, i knew i'd spoken too soon about halo 3's consistency. 8 was easily the worst halo level ever. unbelievably long and confusing. totally unfun. and the scarcity of good weapons made fighting the flood a nightmare. i just gave up and sprinted through with a plasma sword...though sometimes i'd be hiding in a corridor from a dozen of those needly guys, with nothing resembling a suitable weapon, and i'd just laugh it was so awful. i'm going to pretend none of that happened, and pick up from level 9 as if i'd just finished level 7.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 03:58:00 AM by drohne »

drohne

« Reply #231 on: September 30, 2007, 07:09:46 AM »
hm, didn't like the last level either -- it wasn't offensive like level 8, just...kinda lame

spoiler (click to show/hide)
whose brilliant idea was it to end the trilogy on two fuckin flood levels? yeah, it'd be a plotting stretch to squeeze the covenant back in, but fuck the story. bungie really committed to their plot twists, to the game's detriment i think -- ending the game with flood bullshit, replacing elites with brutes. guilty spark is nobody's idea of a final boss -- it's as if return of the jedi ended with luke skywalker fighting r2d2. and maybe i'm just being a graphics whore, but i think i would've liked that final warthog run if it didn't take place on a bunch of...triangles or something. that ain't ballin. i half expected an arwing to fly by

i liked the post-credits part of the ending. just the slow pace of it and the way master chief was swimming around in zero gravity. an uncharacteristically quiet little finish to a loud game.
[close]

a disappointment: halo 3 doesn't have ANY of those sequences where you'd walk into a fight between two or three hostile parties -- flood/covenant, elites/brutes, etc. those are some of my favorite halo moments

question to people who've got the bonus disc -- and gj on those cases microsoft -- did bungie somehow run out of time again? iirc the campaigns of the first two halo games only came together at the last minute -- the painted backdrop cutscenes and those two dud levels at the end make me think halo 3 had similar issues

a bad finish can smother your enthusiasm for a game...i liked halo 3 better yesterday. i'll probably like it again once i replay the good levels on legendary.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #232 on: September 30, 2007, 07:18:04 AM »
I liked screaming at my partner who was driving the warthog on the last level.

WE GON' DIE, PUNCH IT nicca
fat

y2kev

« Reply #233 on: September 30, 2007, 11:16:44 AM »
I liked screaming at my partner who was driving the warthog on the last level.

WE GON' DIE, PUNCH IT nicca

Same. I really liked that sequence. Though graphically it was kind of plain.
haw

thekavorka

« Reply #234 on: September 30, 2007, 12:51:22 PM »
hm, didn't like the last level either -- it wasn't offensive like level 8, just...kinda lame

a disappointment: halo 3 doesn't have ANY of those sequences where you'd walk into a fight between two or three hostile parties -- flood/covenant, elites/brutes, etc. those are some of my favorite halo moments

Yeah, my favorite Halo sequence was near the end of Two Betrayals where you see the Covenant and Flood all fighting, and you have to get through there.

I only finished the first level so far on Heroic. I was getting my ass kicked a lot, and it took forever to beat. Those Jackal Snipers piss me off so much.  I'm thinking of bumping it down to normal the rest of the game.

hyp

• Casual Gamer™
« Reply #235 on: September 30, 2007, 02:17:47 PM »
i'm in the same boat as most of you.  level 8 was just pure blah.  i hate replaying it with my friends who haven't beaten it.  funny thing, i still get lost. 

overall, i really really enjoy the campaign mode.  in fact, i've been playing it over and over because of the new meta scoring game.  really adds a ton of value in addition to 4 player co-op.  i'm decent at multiplayer, but i'm finding that campaign on legendary is making me a better player overall.  trying to score 15k on legendary is a crazy task at times, and you learn to get good at headshots quick.
pyh

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #236 on: September 30, 2007, 08:07:48 PM »
Bioware should really team up with Bungie to help them with the human models, animation and cutscenes.

seriously.

border

« Reply #237 on: September 30, 2007, 09:32:48 PM »
question to people who've got the bonus disc -- and gj on those cases microsoft -- did bungie somehow run out of time again? iirc the campaigns of the first two halo games only came together at the last minute -- the painted backdrop cutscenes and those two dud levels at the end make me think halo 3 had similar issues
The documentary focuses on each department (art, design, audio, weapons, multiplayer, testing) rather than trying to give you an overview of development from start to finish.  It feels more like it was done over the summer, with everything about to wrap.  You are never given an indication that they were ever rushed or in trouble, like the H2 documentary did.  The H2 doc was at times a pretty honest look at the difficulties Bungie faced, whereas the H3 doc is more like a puff piece with some fun facts and insights.

Given that they shipped the game in September, it's hard to come to the conclusion that they really ran out of time.  The matte backgrounds are inexplicable, though -- it's a really jarring change to the cutscenes.  I don't follow Bungie close enough to keep up with interviews, but I'm sure someone will ask them what happened there.

I think in this case we can chalk Halo 3's problems up to just some bad decisions that were never questioned, not a lack of time.  When you think about it, the overall narrative is pretty well covered in the levels that were there.....and another 3-6 months wouldn't have given us the Elites, or more Covenant-content.

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #238 on: September 30, 2007, 09:52:43 PM »
The last two levels weren't totally exciting, but I wouldn't call them duds. The Flood one was graphically great and not small at all, with no repeating rooms or anything like past Halos. And the last mission was similarly well-designed, even if it wasn't too long.

ferrarimanf355

• I have the cutest car on The Bore
« Reply #239 on: September 30, 2007, 10:12:18 PM »
I suck so much ass at Halo 3 multiplayer and my unfamiliarity with the Halo and Halo 2 maps makes it even worse.  I lose almost every confrontation that involves a beatdown and when I finally do get the jump on someone, someone else runs up and starts tag teaming me.  I swear, Slayer is all about finding where the action is and cleaning up people who are already fighting and half-dead.  Thats the primary strategy behind scoring big.  Fucking janitors!

Everyone post your bungie.net service records so we can see who sucks the most!

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Halo3/default.aspx?player=jim+robobo
I haven't even played online yet. I'm just busy going through single-player on Normal.
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Halo3/default.aspx?player=tifosiotaku