Author Topic: Halo 3  (Read 29441 times)

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
Re: Halo 3
« Reply #60 on: September 26, 2007, 01:53:11 AM »
Resistance's enemies were really low poly and they all looked the same.  OTOH, Halo 3 have some of the best designed and animated enemies. 

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #61 on: September 26, 2007, 01:53:25 AM »
o_0

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #62 on: September 26, 2007, 01:56:35 AM »
Resistance's enemies were really low poly and they all looked the same.  OTOH, Halo 3 have some of the best designed and animated enemies. 

With just as many polys as Halo 2!

Nobody here is arguing that Resistance is artistically better.  It is technically better, but Halo has better art.
serge

MrAngryFace

« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2007, 01:57:33 AM »
Regardless, Bungie said IN PUBLIC that they never intended to push the visual envelope with Halo 3 and create the best looking game on 360, and in fact focus on gameplay. With that as their clear aim I dunno how you can fault them for producing a game with above average visuals. Its just silly. I mean sure, we can argue that people are shallow and EXPECT games to look WOW, but should we rate the performance of develoepers off of user hype and stupid expectations?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 01:59:55 AM by MrAngryFace »
o_0

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2007, 01:58:42 AM »
sg, resistance's later levels had some crazy fuckin' geometry, though. as ever, don't take this as an endorsement of its sp game -- i really disliked it. that doesn't stop it from having some really ace engine programming driving it; engine and graphics programming that's quite a bit better than halo 3's. yeah, yeah, it's wasted on crap, you say, but we aren't arguing quality -- we're just wondering why bungie didn't really put the 360 through some stricter paces given the focus on this title. the lack of aa is an honest mystery. don't take it as an overarching criticism of the game.
duc

abrader

• Bomb-A-Daeus
« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2007, 01:59:41 AM »
I am loving it and about to go playu now.

Earlier my girlfriend said "Its just like resistance"

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2007, 01:59:52 AM »
Regardless, Bungie said IN PUBLIC that they never intended to push the visual envelope with Halo 3 and create the best looking game on 360, and in fact focus on gameplay. With that as their clear aim I dunno how you can fault them for producing a game with above average visuals. Its just silly.

outside of the lack of aa, i ain't blamin' 'em. i LIKE the game. we're simply anticipating the fallout and wondering why -- halo 2 aside -- some basic visual features weren't implemented.
duc

TVC15

« Reply #67 on: September 26, 2007, 02:01:05 AM »
I dunno, I think it's a fair thing to fault them on.  I said before, visuals are the easiest thing to get right, and I find it a bit weak that this year's big game is significantly weaker looking than 360's big game of last year, Gears of War.  It plays well, but it's not a giant improvement over previous games in the series (although, note, I probably won't get into competetive miltiplayer, which I am assuming was the focus).
serge

MrAngryFace

« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2007, 02:01:08 AM »
They didnt do it because of Halo 2. They instead focused on framerate and an even presentation. Halo 2 was a visual MESS. Anyone who's played it recently on BC is well aware of this and grateful they took a measured approach
o_0

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #69 on: September 26, 2007, 02:03:04 AM »
yeah, multiplayer was the focus, and by all accounts, it's beyond robust and fully-featured. this game ain't gonna disappoint halo fans, no doubt, but its gonna make internet list wars nigh-on intolerable.
duc

TVC15

« Reply #70 on: September 26, 2007, 02:03:11 AM »
But anyone who's played Gears can tell you that the game could have looked a lot better and still had a fine framerate and presentation.  
serge

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #71 on: September 26, 2007, 02:04:34 AM »
not necessarily. gears has a LOT of cheats and hacks, visually, to look the way it does, many of which would have compromised halo's clear style.
duc

MrAngryFace

« Reply #72 on: September 26, 2007, 02:05:39 AM »
A.) Halo 3 is not on Unreal 3, but instead on their own engine
B.) Bungie has PROVEN they have issues with visuals
o_0

TVC15

« Reply #73 on: September 26, 2007, 02:05:58 AM »
I think you and MAF should play through Gears, Prole.  See what a AAA next gen game is SUPPOSED to look like.
serge

MrAngryFace

« Reply #74 on: September 26, 2007, 02:06:28 AM »
whatever TVC, whatever
o_0

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #75 on: September 26, 2007, 02:06:54 AM »
I think you and MAF should play through Gears, Prole.  See what a AAA next gen game is SUPPOSED to look like.

you mean five hours of post-processed grey? I TROLLED U BACK. this is what bud light does to you!
duc

TVC15

« Reply #76 on: September 26, 2007, 02:07:31 AM »
You can't possible argue that Gears doesn't look as good as Halo 3.  I know Unreal 3 is a great engine, but that hardly excuses Bungie for coasting by on an aging engine for more than a half decade.
serge

MrAngryFace

« Reply #77 on: September 26, 2007, 02:09:38 AM »
Whats your hobby these days? Playing games or verbally hacking them to death?

o_0

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #78 on: September 26, 2007, 02:09:56 AM »
I think everyone expected Halo 3 to look better than it does. Calling it Halo 2 HD is far off but it's improvements seem more subtle than many wanted.

Gears kicks you in the face with it's visuals. It looks stunning despite the colors.

TVC15

« Reply #79 on: September 26, 2007, 02:11:31 AM »

Being disappointed with the visuals in the biggest game on the 360 (and the biggest game there will be on the system) is hardly being petty.  The game plays well, but there's nothing wrong with being disappointed in the visuals.  As a video game, visual input is important.  This is why the Wii blows:  third rate graphics.  This is why Halo 3 is disappointing in that same aspect.
serge

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #80 on: September 26, 2007, 02:11:48 AM »
1. i like how halo 3 looks. i also acknowledge it is a technical underperformer. you cna have a largely good-looking low-tech game (halo 3) just as you can have a bad-looking high-tech game (resistance).

2. graphics in halo 3, as maf stated, were not a priority to bungie, as they said in that egm interview. they've probably lost their top talent.

other than that, what am i supposed to say? that bungie should have shifted priorities and hired a bunch of carmackian devs? they focused on features and stability first and foremost. visuals might have made the game tech nerds wanted, but it wouldn't have made the game halo fans wanted given bungie's apparent resources. that's not to say it couldn't have been both, but bungie made their decision, and the end result is that despite visual issues on a technical front halo 3 doesn't suck.

on the other hand, i enjoy nitpicking technical features, but there's always the need for a little perspective.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 02:14:13 AM by Professor Prole »
duc

TVC15

« Reply #81 on: September 26, 2007, 02:13:35 AM »
How do I continue my game that I left off before?  It's only letting me start over from mission 1.
serge

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #82 on: September 26, 2007, 02:14:03 AM »

Being disappointed with the visuals in the biggest game on the 360 (and the biggest game there will be on the system) is hardly being petty.  The game plays well, but there's nothing wrong with being disappointed in the visuals.

That's the big thing. This is the game that's gonna allegedly secure the 360's place over the PS3...yet it looks more like an upgrade over Halo 2 and than a leap. I'm not sayin it's ugly

MrAngryFace

« Reply #83 on: September 26, 2007, 02:14:37 AM »
Perspective is fine, but 90% of the gaming talk I hear from PEOPLE is bitching. I'd rather just not participate anymore. Maybe it looks like im embracing ignorance, but I might just have a bit more fun.
o_0

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #84 on: September 26, 2007, 02:15:08 AM »
it's not ALLEGEDLY. the current sales indicate that it HAS secured that position. only gaffers and fanboys care about its potential as a chit in the "who's more powerful" console feud. everyone else is PLAYING THE GAME WHICH IS VERY GOOD.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 02:25:36 AM by Professor Prole »
duc

TVC15

« Reply #85 on: September 26, 2007, 02:16:00 AM »
Sorry, graphics are a big part of gaming, and as such they are a key feature of gaming discussion.  Didn't mean to put you off.

ALSO HOW DO I CONTINUE MY FUCKING GAME!!!!!
serge

MrAngryFace

« Reply #86 on: September 26, 2007, 02:16:29 AM »
bitch bitch, graphics omg bitch wtf whine
o_0

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #87 on: September 26, 2007, 02:16:50 AM »
Perspective is fine, but 90% of the gaming talk I hear from PEOPLE is bitching. I'd rather just not participate anymore. Maybe it looks like im embracing ignorance, but I might just have a bit more fun.

fair enough. on the other hand, these are just impressions, but i get yer point. i'll leave it as stands.
duc

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #88 on: September 26, 2007, 02:17:47 AM »
Sorry, graphics are a big part of gaming, and as such they are a key feature of gaming discussion.  Didn't mean to put you off.

YOU BOUGHT A WII! YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT GRAPHICS!!!

did you save your game from the pause menu

duc

TVC15

« Reply #89 on: September 26, 2007, 02:18:02 AM »
Someone tell me how to continue my fucking game, or I will show you what bitching REALLY is.

No, I did not save from the menu.  Previous games auto-saved, did they not?
serge

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #90 on: September 26, 2007, 02:20:30 AM »
no, they didn't. previous games required you to save from the pause menu, as i recall.
duc

drohne

« Reply #91 on: September 26, 2007, 02:20:37 AM »
omg tsavo highway <3

it's all just densely-populated open battlefields that you can navigate in any ridiculous way you like. i think my favorite thing about halo is to invent some absurd suboptimal approach and keep trying it until it works. i spent like an hour and a half on that level, but damn it i managed to fight three wraiths at once with just my fuel rod gun, using their mounting wreckage as cover.

the 'pretty' seems to be kicking in as well

edit: no, it was almost exactly an hour: http://www.bungie.net/stats/PlayerCampaignStatsHalo3.aspx?player=drohne

these bungie.net stats campaign stats are awesome
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 02:25:49 AM by drohne »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #92 on: September 26, 2007, 02:30:42 AM »
I say "allegedly" because the race isn't over yet. While I definitely believe the 360 will be the victor, those seeds of victory were sown long before Halo 3 came out. Sony played a part in it as well.

The question is will Halo 3 secure a victory over the PS3. I dunno. I'm not the type of person who thinks MGS4 is gonna change everything (especially considering it's gonna be a 360 title, believe) but it's hella early.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #93 on: September 26, 2007, 02:33:18 AM »
how would the fact that it doesn't deliver us some "sh3 old man" tech wankery keep it from being an incredibly high-scoring hardcore fan-friendly superexperience? the thing that made halo what it is -- the net play, the balance, and the online feature set -- is there, and how. gaf isn't reality, pd. 4M copies shipped. those 4M will sell out in a couple weeks. you're not gonna see those sales or that level of word-of-mouth chatter on the ps3 any time soon.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 02:34:53 AM by Professor Prole »
duc

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #94 on: September 26, 2007, 02:35:04 AM »
I like how at the beginning of the game

spoiler (click to show/hide)
you survive a 2 mile fall from space
[close]

but for the rest of the game a slight bump from a ghost at the right angle will kill you
sup

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #95 on: September 26, 2007, 02:42:55 AM »
how would the fact that it doesn't deliver us some "sh3 old man" tech wankery keep it from being an incredibly high-scoring hardcore fan-friendly superexperience? the thing that made halo what it is -- the net play, the balance, and the online feature set -- is there, and how. gaf isn't reality, pd. 4M copies shipped. those 4M will sell out in a couple weeks. you're not gonna see those sales or that level of word-of-mouth chatter on the ps3 any time soon.

Halo 2 did amazing numbers on a larger install base. Different situations in terms of the time of release, but the point is that one game won't decide the fate of a 5-8 year console cycle. What comes after Halo 3, especially as the traditional PS titles start arriving

it's late night and i feel like hitchens. contrarian time

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #96 on: September 26, 2007, 02:44:56 AM »
if the ability to impress other graphic devs was all it took to guarantee a game's impact and popularity, we'd all be playing lair

oh god, what a horrible fate
duc

TVC15

« Reply #97 on: September 26, 2007, 02:46:35 AM »
Lair doesn't have good graphics, even in HD.  It's a really, really hideous game by any stretch.
serge

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #98 on: September 26, 2007, 03:08:15 AM »
Two more levels then done with Legendary.
fat

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #99 on: September 26, 2007, 03:25:22 AM »

You obviously haven't read any of his TV show threads.
AMC

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #100 on: September 26, 2007, 03:27:39 AM »

Go to the Campaign Lobby instead of "Solo Campaign" - you can choose what level you want to start from, along with the different insertion points
fat

TVC15

« Reply #101 on: September 26, 2007, 03:28:55 AM »

You obviously haven't read any of his TV show threads.

When I criticize TV shows, I am always clear on why I bitch about what I do, and I'll even say when my bitchings are nitpicky.  I don't consider being underwhelmed by Halo 3's visuals nitpicky. This isn't like a Dynasty Warriors game where I expect functional but not wow, this is supposed to be *the* humungadunga.
serge

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #102 on: September 26, 2007, 03:33:50 AM »
Well, I guess I was trying to imply that. Compared to the way you dissect TV shows, this is nothing. I completely agree with you.
AMC

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #103 on: September 26, 2007, 03:39:09 AM »
I don't think it's that impressive visually, even while I'm near the end of the game. Just kick back, load up some (Legendary) co-op, and call each other n*ggerfaggotjews
fat

TVC15

« Reply #104 on: September 26, 2007, 03:40:53 AM »
I don't think it's that impressive visually, even while I'm near the end of the game. Just kick back, load up some (Legendary) co-op, and call each other n*ggerfaggotjews

Hopefully I can play with you after the dentist tomorrow, but if I get doped up, don't be surprised if I am too vagina'd up to get my FPS on.   
serge

Solo

« Reply #105 on: September 26, 2007, 07:42:42 AM »
I beat the first 3 levels. I was completely "what the fuck, Halo am duped me AGAIN" after the first 2, but the third was totally fuckawesome (the one that is like Silent Cartographer on acid, driving warthogs up the highway). So its gonna take some more time to decide on things.

First impressions:

- graphics are unbelievably disappointing. Yes, I realize Bungie had to sacrifice lots of bells and whistles in order to have a huge scope and a good framerate (both of which it does), but I still cant help but feel disappointed, especially playing it directly after Bioshock
+ the level design has finally progressed from god awful to pretty good. Ive really enjoyed all the levels so far
- the weapons all sound incredibly weak. Its like Bungie forgot to turn the volume up to a decent level. Really makes the game lose something
+ the gunplay and AI are as solid as ever
- the animations and character models are pretty embarassing
+ has me wanting to play more, which is more than I can say for the previous game in the series

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #106 on: September 26, 2007, 08:55:56 AM »
I've only played a couple of MP matches and one-on-one matches w/my brother's friend last nite... haven't even had time to delve into the single-player. My brother's been hogging the game up pretty much. But yeah, I'll echo that I'm a bit disappointed with the graphics, I guess I was kinda hoping for something in comparison to Gears, considering that this is the biggest 360 game this year.
^_^

MrAngryFace

« Reply #107 on: September 26, 2007, 09:55:19 AM »
I beat the first 3 levels. I was completely "what the fuck, Halo am duped me AGAIN" after the first 2, but the third was totally fuckawesome (the one that is like Silent Cartographer on acid, driving warthogs up the highway). So its gonna take some more time to decide on things.

First impressions:

- graphics are unbelievably disappointing. Yes, I realize Bungie had to sacrifice lots of bells and whistles in order to have a huge scope and a good framerate (both of which it does), but I still cant help but feel disappointed, especially playing it directly after Bioshock
+ the level design has finally progressed from god awful to pretty good. Ive really enjoyed all the levels so far
- the weapons all sound incredibly weak. Its like Bungie forgot to turn the volume up to a decent level. Really makes the game lose something
+ the gunplay and AI are as solid as ever
- the animations and character models are pretty embarassing
+ has me wanting to play more, which is more than I can say for the previous game in the series

'unbelievably disappointing' -- 'pretty embarassing' - Lets save these words for a 360 game that deserves it. IF IT LOOKS GOOD IT LOOKS GOOD. Jesus christ all mighty.
o_0

Himu

« Reply #108 on: September 26, 2007, 10:35:44 AM »
lol maf spin zone. "that deserves it" lol the animations and graphics in the biggest gaming event of the year being half assed compared to all the other games on system doesn't warrant being mentioned in the presence of maf.

played single player co-op with buddy last night. pretty fun time.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 10:37:44 AM by Himuro »
IYKYK

Solo

« Reply #109 on: September 26, 2007, 10:59:54 AM »

'unbelievably disappointing' -- 'pretty embarassing' - Lets save these words for a 360 game that deserves it.

Which is Halo 3, to me. I called the graphics "unbelievably disappointing". Why? Halo 1 was the most graphically impressive game on the original X-Box for several years. Halo 2 was more of the same, but hey, it was still on the same platform. Was I being unreasonable to expect a graphical presentation on the 360 that measured up to how well Halo 1 looked on the X-Box in 2001? I dont think so. Yet here is Gears, Bioshock, the Tom Clancy games, etc., all crapping on Halo 3 graphics-wise. I called the animation "pretty embarassing". Why? Simply put, on next-gen systems, for a team as talented as Bungie, with as big a budget as Bungie had, with as much dev time as Bungie had, what they turned out is pretty crappy. The movement is stiff, and all the vehicles, NPCs, and enemies still look like they are sliding around rather than walking. These are the sorts of things Id expect out of some middle-of-the-road PC dev, not a first party MS developer.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 11:01:35 AM by Solo »

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #110 on: September 26, 2007, 11:01:28 AM »
i can understand some disappointment with the graphics... but the animations, really?

they may not be super fluid, but there are TONS of animations.  I seriously never see them doing the exact thing twice on Legendary.  

Anyways, I don't care much about the graphics.  They may not be the technical showcase everyone has expected from this generation, but it's by no means BAD by this generation?  It's just not a top looking title.  The graphics look average, not good, not bad.

anyways, what the fuck happened to us, this thread looks like something pulled off of fucking GAF.  Halo has been about gameplay, art and atmosphere since the first!  Leave this fucking argument at GAF and use a thread titled 'Halo 3' to talk about about the gameplay

I played the Forge for the first time last night.  If you're on with friends and you're organized, this shit is fucking awesome.  

It's just a change of pace for a Halo game.  I loved it.  I also figured out that at least for a while after launch, most people will be playing Halo 3, so I think I'm going to set my Xbox Live settings to Friends Only.  The first night was decent, but the 14 year olds got the game yesterday afternoon and they already make me want to commit suicide.

And if I absolutely have to play with these cocks, here's some good advice plug your mic in to your controller, and don't use it.  You won't hear them on your tv and it's not like you really want to talk to these assholes anyways

MrAngryFace

« Reply #111 on: September 26, 2007, 11:01:47 AM »
Im gonna explain it for the kids in the audience.

I dont care if you guys wanna critically analyze the game, thats fine. Im the one that commented about the character models to drinky, but I did so IN PASSING OBSERVATION. You know why? I wasn't disappointed. Know why? Cause I actually did some fucking homework.

It comes down to this. You CANNOT legitimately leverage complaints about the graphics not being the top of the line against this game when in fact it is based entirely on your uneducated expectations. If any of you REALLY gave a shit about the visuals you would have looked into previous articles on the game prior to release to see what was what. In doing so you would have discovered, pretty easily too, that Bungie had NO INTENTION of competing with ANY 360 game for top visuals. Every interview with Bungie focused on all the ideas that they felt were important to enhance replayability and the core gameplay.

So in the end all the bitching about the graphics not looking like or competing with Bioshock is Grade A WHINING. ARGH! SURE! GOD DIDNT SPECIFY A COLOR FOR A SKY OR MAKE ANY SPECIFIC PROMISES BUT I HATE THE COLOR BLUE! DAMN U GOD!

If any of you REALLY wanna play graphical effect nitpick theater start your own thread that takes a cross section of the latest games and analyze that. Im sure everyone can use their fancy words to explain why the fuck its ok to use hyperbole to describe something that is AT WORST above average.

Tear apart the gameplay all you want, because Bungie PROMISED something there. Beating a horse for not making you breakfast because it decided to instead give you a ride into town so you could buy your own god damned breakfast is BAD CONVERSATION.

In short, shut the fuck up Himuro you god damned freak.
o_0

Himu

« Reply #112 on: September 26, 2007, 11:02:38 AM »
lmao he freaked
IYKYK

Solo

« Reply #113 on: September 26, 2007, 11:02:47 AM »
I dont dislike Halo 3 (yet) and I can live with the graphics, Mupepe. Like I said, I am enjoying what I have played so far. I just find it visually to be a mixed bag, sometimes its a total eyesore, and other times, it looks quite nice.

Himu

« Reply #114 on: September 26, 2007, 11:04:06 AM »
I'm going to go co-op mission 5 with my buddy now. :) I'd like to play on Heroic after beating it on normal.
IYKYK

MrAngryFace

« Reply #115 on: September 26, 2007, 11:04:19 AM »
lmao he freaked

I freak because its people like you Himuro that bring this gaming forum closer to fucking Gaming Age
o_0

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #116 on: September 26, 2007, 11:04:36 AM »
It comes down to this. You CANNOT legitimately leverage complaints about the graphics not being the top of the line against this game when in fact it is based entirely on your uneducated expectations. If any of you REALLY gave a shit about the visuals you would have looked into previous articles on the game prior to release to see what was what. In doing so you would have discovered, pretty easily too, that Bungie had NO INTENTION of competing with ANY 360 game for top visuals. Every interview with Bungie focused on all the ideas that they felt were important to enhance replayability and the core gameplay.
QFT QFT QFT QFT QFT

good and balanced gameplay > omgwtfbbqgraphics!

can we start talking about the game again?  please?

I dont dislike Halo 3 (yet) and I can live with the graphics, Mupepe. Like I said, I am enjoying what I have played so far. I just find it visually to be a mixed bag, sometimes its a total eyesore, and other times, it looks quite nice.
I wasn't really pointing my finger at you.  But this is one of the worst threads I have read on this gaming forum.  Same shit regurgitated for 3 pages

MrAngryFace

« Reply #117 on: September 26, 2007, 11:06:18 AM »
Then you have the opposite side of the spectrum where Tom Chick DID talk about Gameplay but compared to different types of FPS games to one another :p
o_0

Solo

« Reply #118 on: September 26, 2007, 11:06:51 AM »
Ill talk about the game again Mupepe. Bioshock's "Fort Frolic" aside, Halo 3's "Tsavo (sp?) Highway" is the most awesome level Ive played in a shooter in a long ass time. Crusing around in warthogs amidst Halo ruins and driving over briges and shit = sweetness. I really loved how the Halo theme kicked in when the warthogs were dropped for you. It was like the game was telling you that now it is time to kick ass.

Oh, and the gravity hammer is just pure bliss to use.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 11:08:46 AM by Solo »

MrAngryFace

« Reply #119 on: September 26, 2007, 11:08:46 AM »
The Tank/Bridge mission was easily my favorite part of Halo 2. I need to man up and knock myself down off of Heroic so I can complete more of the game :(
o_0