Author Topic: Halo 3  (Read 29436 times)

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
Halo 3
« on: September 25, 2007, 09:28:22 PM »
I like it a lot so far. A bit easy on Normal, a LOT of fun on Heroic. Split screen is crap, then again who does that anymore. Then again I suppose more effort could have been put into it. Seems tacked on. Ah well. LIVE BABY. The AI is DEVIOUS. I mean that. The new high explosive fast projectiles are replaced grenades as oh shit, and snipers everywhere.

Also, visually, non split screen, its very impressive. Not so much because of what its pulling off, but because Bungie managed to not pull a Halo 2 with Halo 3 at a technical level.
o_0

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Re: Halo 3
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 09:36:37 PM »
It's a LOT funner on Legendary. Let's roll out.
fat

MrAngryFace

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 09:38:40 PM »
I suck at legendary. I played split screen with Drinky and some at home but Im playing WOW now, cause im tired and WOW is good for tired people. Plus I need to yell at the WOW forums about the latest patch sucking.
o_0

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 09:49:12 PM »
yeah, it's good. i'm kinda dubious on the graphics on a technical level -- they aren't awful even at the worst, and they have their moments (like the explosions/debris and the lighting model), but it's clear that top-of-the-platform graphics aren't bungie's forte anymore. (apparently a bunch of the original devs left after halo?) like you said, though, at least they aren't glitchy like halo 2. the ai upgrade is great great great, and the set piece battles really impress. also GRAVITY HAMMER
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 09:50:59 PM by Professor Prole »
duc

MrAngryFace

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 09:53:56 PM »
Its not Halo 2, thats ALL I asked from Bungie, and I got what I wanted. So sad, Halo 2. I shouldnt see stuff render in front of me.

THAT GAME GOT 10s!

And also, the game looks very good, regardless. I mean we can nitpick, but there's way worse looking games out there, and even the original Halo isnt THAT good looking.
o_0

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 09:55:51 PM »
it's pretty, yeah. still, when you're a tech nerd, it's instinct to play "spot the rendering issues". it's no halo 2 in that regard, for sure, but bungie still has plenty of room left to make a massive leap with halo 4 on the tech front. ;)

halo games still get tactical firefights better than any competitor. no fps -- not even the ones on pc -- do believably dynamic large-scale shootouts like the halo series. period.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 09:57:57 PM by Professor Prole »
duc

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 09:59:44 PM »
also, how halo 2 got 10s is beyond me. i honestly think halo 1 is largely beyond reproach -- yes, even the library, which while a visual mess was just frenetic ammo-chewing fun -- but 2's sp is all kinds of screwed from the tech to the level design to the pacing. it has a lot of brilliant staged moments, but it is half the game (literally) halo 1 is. halo 3, so far, does everything better than 2 as well.

edit: forgot about the last level of halo 1 with the timed warthog race. that was gimpy.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 10:01:34 PM by Professor Prole »
duc

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007, 10:01:18 PM »
Halo 1 co-op was some of the greatest shit ever.
AMC

MrAngryFace

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2007, 10:02:22 PM »
TIMED WARTHOG RACE
o_0

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2007, 10:02:52 PM »
Holy shit, I just got on XBL and see 25 friends online. Out of the 21 actually playing a game, it's all Halo 3. :lol
AMC

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2007, 10:06:36 PM »
hey, i was just on playing blue dragon
duc

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2007, 10:10:11 PM »
I think you were offline by the time I came on. I did not see Blue Dragon.
AMC

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2007, 10:11:23 PM »
i beat disc 1 :'(
duc

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2007, 10:27:45 PM »

Did you think it was WOW OMG like most people were saying? I didn't.

That comes at the End of Disc 2 - Beginning of Disc 3
fat

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2007, 10:30:48 PM »
the water physics are neat -- when they're available -- and the light scattering is nice. i also like the more subtle hdr use as opposed to ABUSE in some games (lol heavenly sword wut).

though man while i am no 360 programming expert i can't fathom what in their rendering model would preclude 4x aa. as i told tvc, i think their scene rendering algorithms must be straight up brute force with little consideration for post-processing. in fact, the game seems to lack any real post-processing effects all around.

like i said in the other thread, the graphics are a mixed bag on a technical level. overall it looks really solid, but the curtain is thin and there are tears at the edges.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 10:34:27 PM by Professor Prole »
duc

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2007, 10:31:38 PM »

Did you think it was WOW OMG like most people were saying? I didn't.

That comes at the End of Disc 2 - Beginning of Disc 3

it was a really good dungeon and a satisfying conclusion to the end of the disc, but no, i wasn't blown away. the pacing is too sharply done so far to make the player climax this early, anyhow.
duc

drohne

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2007, 10:32:28 PM »
the lighting is really nice sometimes, but otherwise i'm not seeing the 'pretty.' the second level really looks like xbox 1 material. and bungie can't model human beings. yes, i know, cutscenes don't matter -- but going from heavenly sword's cutscenes to halo 3's cutscenes is like going back in time five years. every time i see miranda keyes and her independently operating sphincter mouth i reach instinctively for the right trigger.

two levels in, i haven't made my mind up about the game -- the first level has some GREAT open battlefields. but elsewhere it feels like halo 2, with big enemy packs who'd easily overwhelm you if they put in the slightest effort, but instead sit back and let you pick them apart with a br or carbine. on heroic. this is still fun -- is perhaps more fun than any fps that isn't called 'halo' -- but it's nowhere near as much fun as halo 1's intelligent, malevolent, aggressive elites. i'm not sure replacing elites with brutes was a good idea -- perhaps they ought not to have committed to that plot development -- space monkeys whose clothes fall off as they approach death are impossible to take seriously. though functionally they now behave a great deal like halo 2's elites.

that all sounds a bit negative, but it's just the skepticism of a big halo fan -- the mechanics are still shit hot, and i'm still totally engrossed when i'm playing. LET'S SEE HOW IT DEVELOPS

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2007, 10:36:04 PM »
Here's a thread on Achieve360Points of the locations of the hidden skulls. The skulls let you modify the game, for the little "meta-game" achievements. You also get an achievement for finding the skull itself. I think I'm the only one who cares about this, but if you want to squeeze a little more out of your investment^^^^^

http://www.achieve360points.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53723
fat

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2007, 10:37:54 PM »
I would totally buy this game but I'm not good at game juggling
:9

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2007, 10:37:58 PM »
i think it's pretty. not gorgeous, just pretty. my eyes -- when they aren't on the cutscene models -- are pleased. the color choice is great, the lighting model is nice, and the special effects are bright, varied, and dynamic.

yeah, the bit inside the hq is pretty sparse on the crazy shader effects, but it isn't until i spent a little time in retrospect that i noticed. i don't wanna sound like a gaf apologist, but really: you're inside a concrete structure, and the environmental art direction has never been about garish normal mapping and per-pixel lighting abuse. i think it's fine. if i'm gonna nitpick, i'll go after some pretty lo-fi textures, but again, i didn't really notice at the time.
duc

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2007, 10:41:31 PM »
I would totally buy this game but I'm not good at game juggling

I thought "game juggling" only applied to RPGs, you can run through Halo in a weekend. On easy, lol.
fat

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2007, 10:42:04 PM »
demi, to most people, the appeal is the multiplayer. loner.
duc

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2007, 10:42:41 PM »
I put the disc in and my 360 RRODed.  Couldn't even get passed the Bungie logo. :(
Tacos

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2007, 10:44:19 PM »
Multiplayer will still be there when I get back a year from now, no rush diving in!
fat

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2007, 10:44:43 PM »
good art goes the country mile. see: metroid prime. half the ninthings think the game was a technical powerhouse on the gc.
duc

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2007, 10:45:19 PM »
I put the disc in and my 360 RRODed.  Couldn't even get passed the Bungie logo. :(

jesus. there is indeed a cruel gaming god amok today.
duc

drohne

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2007, 10:49:59 PM »
i thought bungie's art direction wavered in parts of halo 2, but yeah, they've gotten back to a clean, distinctive, and attractively-colored look. the graphics are nothing approaching a problem for me, but everything else i'm going to play this fall looks completely OMGWTF, and it's a little disappointing that halo 3 isn't on that level.

sucks about the untimely rrod, hitler (can i call you hitler?) -- i've been worried that about that happening. i guess there's still time :x
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 10:51:33 PM by drohne »

Candyflip

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2007, 10:56:59 PM »
I'm really regretting not having a 360 at the moment. Fuck me.
ffs

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2007, 11:06:01 PM »
One of my buddies with a 360 that had never really played Halo before went from "Eh this game isn't that good, I kinda wish I didn't buy it" to "Ok, this is pretty fun" in only about 3 multiplayer games.
AMC

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2007, 11:10:02 PM »
they aren't kidding, btw, when they (they being the folks who wrote the ui text) said that in easy mode "the game plays itself." even normal is pretty easy, although i'm just bad enough at console fps to enjoy the cakewalk. i might bump up to heroic given that it still takes like 10 good hits post-shield to kill you.
duc

MrAngryFace

« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2007, 11:22:50 PM »
IM PLAYING WOW

Also play heroic or dont play
o_0

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2007, 11:28:45 PM »
IM PLAYING WOW

Also play heroic or dont play

:wag
fat

MrAngryFace

« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2007, 11:40:31 PM »
SORRY DEMI I MEANT LEGENDARY
o_0

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2007, 11:49:09 PM »
We were playing LAN and I couldn't rid of black bars on the side of my widescreen HDTV when it was split in two. Is there a way to make it a vertical split or make the horizontal fill up the whole screen? The rest of the game (ie menus, lobbies) are full widescreen so I don't know what the problem is...

its not your fault, nor your tv's

blame the devs if you wish but thats not an error, just a design choice

(a choice that if you read bungies halo 3 forums, pisses alot of people off)
萌え~

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2007, 11:55:49 PM »
Oh wtf, that's horrible.
AMC

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2007, 12:00:38 AM »
I couldn't wait to try out some split-screen co-op over my friend's house on his new HDTV. :(
AMC

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2007, 12:04:24 AM »
with the amount of bitching it seems to be generating, it probably will

I still need my copy of this game :(
萌え~

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2007, 12:28:46 AM »
I asked this on GAF but I've got a feeling that'll just get lost in all the hoopla....

I went out and got a new 360 since I was on a replacement program but now that I'm home it won't recognize my wireless router so I can't connect to Live . I've reset both my modem and my router but still no luck. Any advice?
Tacos

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2007, 12:29:21 AM »
I dunno.  I really can't help but be disappointed, especially seeing the fidelty of graphics in a lot of next gen games for truly the first time over the past week.

This is the single most important game that will be released in the 360's lifespan.  This is the "decisive" holiday season.  This is the biggest name in the MS arsenal.  This is probably the most well known game of these years (that isn't GTA).  Why does it still appear to be using an engine that is a direct descendent (and not even that far of a descendent) of the first Halo?  Did all of Bungie's good technical people leave after Halo, leaving their technology team to somewhat half-assedly hammer improvements onto the basic engine?

I mean, clear comparison, graphically, this game is sort of a metaphorical equivalent to Metroid Prime 3:  it's art is its saving grace, and it's a slight improvement over previous entries, but not by a ton.  Yes, comparing the game to Metroid Prime 3 on the GC 1.5 means that I am basically saying this is more Xbox 1.5 than 360.

More?  Resistance looks better.  Resistance has AA.  Resistance doesn't have the slight (very slight) hitches that Halo 3 has.  Of course, it doesn't have the Halo AI, or the better art, but I still think the graphical fidelity of the 360's Big Gun should at least match that of a launch title on the 360's rival system.  Forget about matching Gears, that was probably the more important achievement.

Like I said, though, it plays well enough.  It's Halo.  Not a huge advancement in play, but more Halo is always a good thing.
serge

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2007, 12:32:40 AM »
pretty much. personally, i'm happy with a good game, and i'll let the gaffot fanboy brigade fight this one, but it would have been nice to see bungie knock one out of the park technically. ah well, the visuals hardly impede the gameplay, and the visual bits that DO matter -- the physics, the explosions, and the weapon feedback -- are there. still, it ain't gonna make any LOL PS3 SUX megalists in the future console wars!

resistance is definitely more impressive technically, but it's also grey, has terrible enemy ai which substitutes hitpoint sinks for meaningful engagement, and has some of the worst weapon balance ever. it's fun, but it still feels amateurish in design next to halo 3, visual complaints aside. halo 1 really had it all, and we've come to expect it all from future installments, but i ain't gonna let visual flaws ruin a good game for me. unless that game is on the wii, because YUCK.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 12:36:42 AM by Professor Prole »
duc

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2007, 12:39:27 AM »
After playing a bit more multi, I'm reminded of why I never was all that impressed with Halo 2. I'm going to be playing much more TF2 and COD4, I think. :-\
AMC

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2007, 12:40:02 AM »
how many times did you get called a motherjew n*ggerfaggot
duc

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2007, 12:40:41 AM »
I heard variations of "your mom" about a dozen times already.
AMC

TVC15

« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2007, 12:41:20 AM »
Yeah, but you know how it goes.  In the fanboy wars, graphics are more important than gameplay, and now 360 is "weaker" than PS3.

I am hoping later levels throw more physics in.  From what I've played, it's just a bunch of little objects and it has little importance on gameplay.  I like when physics are implemented and used in a game.  Like in Bullet Witch.
serge

drohne

« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2007, 12:56:54 AM »
if we're talking halo 2 onwards, i'm really not seeing the excellence of halo's ai. with halo 2 they decided to double or triple the number of enemies on screen, and to balance the thing, enemies stopped trying very hard to kill you. remember in halo when you run into maybe four elites at the end of 'assault on the control room'? that's an 'oh shit' moment on heroic or legendary, where you have to try and squeeze a ghost in or use ridiculous hit-and-run tactics. in halos 2 and 3 you can take out a dozen brutes or elites from cover, more or less at your leisure. the enemies in resistance are really stupid about grenades -- probably by design rather than negligence -- but they'll flank you pretty aggressively. and i don't know if anyone agrees with me, but the enemy ai in gears is maybe the best i've ever seen -- the way locusts methodically encroach on your position is awesome.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 01:00:50 AM by drohne »

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2007, 01:00:47 AM »
it's more the individual ai than the group ai, true, but i had a moment with an armorless brute where he put his back to a tree and sidled around it while i circled-strafed. as i fired on his position, he waved grunts from the brush and a couple tentatively attacked while the rest broke and fled. it's the ILLUSION that bungie's ai folks are so good at -- they understand that i don't want smarter-than-me algorithmically brilliant superbots, i want the idea that there's personalities and wills of various strengths governing the entities, and that context matters enough to make my enemies react in quasi-realistic rather than optimal ways. and while it's hardly that sophisticated, the illusion is there, and that makes me really get into the game.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 01:03:42 AM by Professor Prole »
duc

drohne

« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2007, 01:01:33 AM »
yeah, maybe i should be playing halo 3 instead of posting about it -- i haven't even had time to see moments like that

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2007, 01:02:04 AM »
Maybe I should play the campaign.

Or TF2.
AMC

TVC15

« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2007, 01:11:16 AM »
I had a peanut butter sandwich and my tummy isn't quite in FPS mode, but I wanna play it.
serge

Lucretius

« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2007, 01:17:50 AM »
I played the first ten minutes of campaign mode and I started getting motion sick.  Bungie should partner up with the pharmaceutical industry for some "Finish the Fight" branded Dramamine. 
lip

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2007, 01:21:16 AM »
INNER EAR FUEL
duc

TVC15

« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2007, 01:22:38 AM »
Maybe it's an age thing, but over the past few months, I have noticed myself getting motion sick with a few games, whereas it used to only happen with a few PC FPSes before, usually ones with either odd fields of view or weird framerates.
serge

MrAngryFace

« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2007, 01:33:03 AM »
Resistence doesnt look better, come on ;p
o_0

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2007, 01:36:59 AM »
I really have no urge to play this game. I just played solo campaign for like 5 minutes and turned it off. Then I stared at the title screen for a while. Maybe it's because I know I have work I should be doing. I'll do that now, I guess.
AMC

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2007, 01:38:22 AM »
no-one said it looked better -- that's a purely subjective thing. i said it was a more technically impressive game, given that it is pushing a lot more polys, has more effects, and has anti-aliasing. whether or not that translates to "looks better" is up to the individual. personally, i find slate grey and dark ochre unappealing without a little variety to break it up, and resistance waits until far too late in the game to do so.
duc

MrAngryFace

« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2007, 01:40:38 AM »
well if we're gonna argue things that are relative lemme open up another new forum, cause we're gonna need room.
o_0

Lucretius

« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2007, 01:45:24 AM »
not that there's anything really wrong with the controls, but after playing Metroid Prime 3 for the past week I find myself really wishing I could play Halo 3 with Wii aiming controls.  I think it would help with my motion sickness too.  Again, this is not me complaining about the Halo controls... just me confessing that I generally suck at FPS's on consoles and I'm a total mouthbreathing queasy wuss.
lip

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2007, 01:45:37 AM »
If you want to play, I'm waiting in Legendary, babes.
fat

MrAngryFace

« Reply #58 on: September 26, 2007, 01:49:16 AM »
Of all of us I think Demi has actually PLAYED the game the most lol :(
o_0

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2007, 01:50:10 AM »