10 (38.5%)
Juno (haha)
2 (7.7%)
Michael Clayton
3 (11.5%)
Atonement
3 (11.5%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: Evilbore's Academy Award for Best Picture and Academy Awards Discussion Thread  (Read 16174 times)

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
Re: Evilbore's Academy Award for Best Picture and Academy Awards Discussion Thre
« Reply #120 on: February 25, 2008, 01:02:27 AM »
Didn't many Coen brothers fans on here say it's a second-tier Coen brothers film? Are they still going to say it deserved this? Well, like what TVC just said.  But he hasn't seen No Country, I forgot.
AMC

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
Re: Evilbore's Academy Award for Best Picture and Academy Awards Discussion Thre
« Reply #121 on: February 25, 2008, 01:03:31 AM »
I thought No Country was a top-tier Coen Bros, up there with Miller's Crossing and O Brother. FARGO is probably one of my least favorites of theirs...maybe even THE least favorite.
乱学者

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
HAHAA FUCK YOU JUNO DIDNT WIN

Seriously Ichi I'm tired of this let's let this movie win so we can bash Trahan/Yenor shit.

Had little to do with bashing Mowles or Gay Boy, and more to do with the fact that the Academy is famous for screwing up...I mean - Crash, Return of the King, Forrest Gump, How Green Was My Valley.
PS4

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #123 on: February 25, 2008, 01:04:46 AM »

I personally don't think Fargo is in the upper echelon of Coen films.

It's scary how I can agree with you on so many subjects.  I really hope there's no homo in me. 

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
The Man Who Wasn't There is one of my personal favorite Coen movies.  I'm also unreasonably fond of The Hudsucker Proxy.

Also, this is just more proof Smooth Groove will be sucking wang within the year.  he's in med school so he'll probably start by practicing on cadaver cock.
PS4

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
There Will Be Blood and No Country are both looking like good blind buys in HD
sup

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
I thought No Country was a top-tier Coen Bros, up there with Miller's Crossing and O Brother. FARGO is probably one of my least favorites of theirs...maybe even THE least favorite.

Fair enough. I probably just remember incorrectly. :P
AMC

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #127 on: February 25, 2008, 01:07:59 AM »

Not counting their recent missteps like The Ladykillers and Intolerable Cruelty, I'm assuming?

Fargo's a good movie and all, but it's kinda slow in a non-effective way.  I get kinda bored watching it and I want to skip to the good parts.
serge

T234

• Canadian Legal Expert and Hillballer
There Will Be Blood and No Country are both looking like good blind buys in HD
No Country has fucking amazing sound. If you have 5.1, don't pass it up.
UK

Smooth Groove

The Man Who Wasn't There is one of my personal favorite Coen movies.  I'm also unreasonably fond of The Hudsucker Proxy.

Also, this is just more proof Smooth Groove will be sucking wang within the year.  he's in med school so he'll probably start by practicing on cadaver cock.

True story.  The 1st cadaver I saw was a black guy with an absolutely gigantic member.  I don't know if it was the formaldehyde or what but the thing just looked unnatural.  It was at least a foot long and as wide as my forearm.  The balls were the size of my clenched fist.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
maybe all the blood rushed away from his brain and into his cock and that's what killed him
sup

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #131 on: February 25, 2008, 01:14:59 AM »
Are you done with Jesse James, TVC? Would you say it's this year's CoM?

As in:

Should've gotten more nominations, including a Best Picture nod.
Didn't win anything.
Should've won Best Cinematography
AMC

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #132 on: February 25, 2008, 01:16:27 AM »
I feel bad for Zodiac though. Too bad it wasn't released a bit later in 2007. All its buzz died by the time No Country and TWBB started picking up steam

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas

True story.  The 1st cadaver I saw was a black guy with an absolutely gigantic member.  I don't know if it was the formaldehyde or what but the thing just looked unnatural.  It was at least a foot long and as wide as my forearm.  The balls were the size of my clenched fist.

So it was a normal black dude, in other words.
PS4

TVC15

« Reply #134 on: February 25, 2008, 01:19:06 AM »

As in:

Didn't win anything.

It's a really good movie, but it's a hard one to recommend without caveats, so I'm not surprised it was snubbed.  It's very deliberately paced, aka the good kind of slow, and a lot of people don't like that.  I'm also familiar with the subject matter, so there's that aspect--I might be finding it more interesting than someone going in blind.

So yeah, it's good.  I really like it, but I wouldn't be surprised if many didn't.  Awesome score, too.
serge

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #135 on: February 25, 2008, 01:19:56 AM »
I'm sorry, but it shoulda gone to There Will Be Blood.
püp

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
Just from what little I've seen of No Country through clips and such, I think Affleck should've picked up the Oscar.  Playing an icy sociopathic killer like Bardem did is every actor's ice cream dream, like scoring a distinguished mentally-challenged fellow or a cripple role - there's almost no way they can be accused of overacting, and audiences/academy members eat that shit up.  Affleck gave a very nuanced performance, I couldn't ever tell he was "ACTING."

Yeah, Zodiac should have at least picked up some nods, definitely.
sup

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas

As in:

Didn't win anything.

It's a really good movie, but it's a hard one to recommend without caveats, so I'm not surprised it was snubbed.  It's very deliberately paced, aka the good kind of slow, and a lot of people don't like that.  I'm also familiar with the subject matter, so there's that aspect--I might be finding it more interesting than someone going in blind.

So yeah, it's good.  I really like it, but I wouldn't be surprised if many didn't.  Awesome score, too.

I was thinking, when it comes out on DVD, I want to do an "assassination of Jesse James" movie marathon.  I bet there's dozens of Jesse James movies.
PS4

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
yeah, but none of them are very historically accurate

jesse james was a piece of shit, really, and most films paint him as some sort of robin hoodish victim forced into a life of crime, which is utter bullshit
sup

TVC15

« Reply #139 on: February 25, 2008, 01:30:45 AM »

As in:

Didn't win anything.

I was thinking, when it comes out on DVD, I want to do an "assassination of Jesse James" movie marathon.  I bet there's dozens of Jesse James movies.

It is out.  I have it on Blu Gay.  It was kinda difficult to find, though.
serge

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
yeah, but none of them are very historically accurate

jesse james was a piece of shit, really, and most films paint him as some sort of robin hoodish victim forced into a life of crime, which is utter bullshit

My parents said this is not the case with this film.
AMC

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
480p or bust
PS4

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
no, not at all, Jesse James is presented as a paranoid and almost weaselly figure

almost any movie made prior to Assassination presents the myth, though
sup

TVC15

« Reply #143 on: February 25, 2008, 01:34:15 AM »

Have you seen this yet?

spoiler (click to show/hide)
The retconning of Jesse James after his death is a sort of plot point
[close]
serge

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
I liked Sam Fuller's I Shot Jesse James.
PS4

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #145 on: February 25, 2008, 01:36:53 AM »

Have you seen this yet?

[close]

So is this a Pre-Crisis Jesse James?
©@©™

TVC15

No, post--red kryptonite turns him into a horny asshole.
serge

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
Silver Age Jesse James or Golden Age Jesse James?  They're very different, so this is an important question!
PS4

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #148 on: February 25, 2008, 01:39:11 AM »

Have you seen this yet?

[close]

perhaps I am not being clear

yes, I saw the movie

Ichi wants to have a Jesse James movie marathon

I am pointing out that, prior to Assassination, most (if not all) films about Jesse James have presented him in the light of the "Robin Hood" myth/legend, and are going to be very different films than Assassination.  Assassination is probably the closest you're ever going to get to the truth of the matter.
sup

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
Yah, I know.  That's kinda why I want to see how the portrayals change and evolve through time.  Or in the case of Colin Farrell as Jesse James, DE-evolve, hahahah.
PS4

TVC15

« Reply #150 on: February 25, 2008, 01:41:57 AM »

Have you seen this yet?

[close]

perhaps I am not being clear

yes, I saw the movie

I realized that after I made that post.  Sorry :(

How did you like it?
serge

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
I loved it.  I can see watching it several times.  Excellent blind buy.  I was really impressed with Sam Rockwell - the scene at the end where he "becomes" Jesse onstage is downright eerie.

The Long Riders is a pretty good flick if you haven't seen it, Ichi.
sup

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
Even Assassination alters some facts to allow for storytelling compression, though
sup

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
I loved it.  I can see watching it several times.  Excellent blind buy.  I was really impressed with Sam Rockwell - the scene at the end where he "becomes" Jesse onstage is downright eerie.

The Long Riders is a pretty good flick if you haven't seen it, Ichi.

Is that the one with Stacy Keach as one of the James Bros.?  If so, I've seen it, and liked it.  Also seen American Outlaws (which would not be part of said marathon...I saw it for Timothy Dalton!!!), and I Shot Jesse James.
PS4

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
Check this out if you get the chance:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=30866

It's a History Channel special on the James legend.  It has some awful acting during the "reenactment" parts, but there's a lot of interesting historical trivia in there (like the guy who found $32,000 worth of gold Jesse buried).
sup

TVC15

like the guy who found $32,000 worth of gold Jesse buried

and he was named. . .RON PAUL.
serge

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
whenever i read ron paul i think of pat paulsen, who was this 60s/70s comedian whose schtick was running for president

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Paulsen
sup

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #157 on: February 25, 2008, 02:09:33 AM »
So I went out and saw Miller's Crossing the other night.  Why didn't any of you tell me about this?  It's so good.

Now I've gotta dig up my old copy of The Glass Key and read it for comparison's sake.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
Just from what little I've seen of No Country through clips and such, I think Affleck should've picked up the Oscar.  Playing an icy sociopathic killer like Bardem did is every actor's ice cream dream, like scoring a distinguished mentally-challenged fellow or a cripple role - there's almost no way they can be accused of overacting, and audiences/academy members eat that shit up.  Affleck gave a very nuanced performance, I couldn't ever tell he was "ACTING."

Yeah, Zodiac should have at least picked up some nods, definitely.

It's like you're reading my mind here. I was rooting for Affleck too. Bardem's character is very memorable, like Lecter in Silence of the Lambs. But it was essentially a one-note performance, just exceptionally well done. I wouldn't have any confidence (based on only seeing NCFOM) that Bardem could handle a deeper role. I'm pretty confident that Affleck is the real deal though. Thanks to the magic of DVD screeners, i'm hopefully seeing TWWB tonight, but so far I give the nod to Jesse James for cinematography, score (Nick Cave :bow), supporting actor and possibly director over NCFOM*. The same cinematographer did both movies actually, so I'm wondering if the director had more of an influence in making Jesse James look so great. Hard to tell from this side of the camera, really....

*This is by no means a knock on NCFOM, which i heartily enjoyed.
vjj

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
Javier Bardem IS a great actor with plenty of range, though.  The thing is, it's just a juicy role (much like Daniel Day-Lewis's), and the Academy looooves to reward people for this type of thing.

But who cares about awards, really?  Other than serving as some sort of validation for your personal tastes, they are meaningless - especially stuff like the Oscars.  Fun to discuss, but they will not affect how a picture is seen twenty, thirty, or even fifty years from now.
PS4

TVC15

« Reply #160 on: February 25, 2008, 03:49:33 AM »
I wonder when Nick Cave is going to write another movie.  The Proposition was pretty well-received, right?  Maybe he is getting more interested in movies in his old age.  It's pretty awesome that he fronts the best best band in the world and the movies is like his side gig. <3 Nick.

Casey is awesome in the Assassination of Jesse James.  Going in, I kinda had a bias about actors with the last name Affleck, but he's pretty awesome.  I believe this is my first exposure to him.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 03:53:09 AM by TVC 15 »
serge

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
He's really good in Gone Baby Gone as well.
AMC

Smooth Groove

Was The Proposition a theatrical release over here?  It's a shame that so few people know about it.  The soundtrack was pretty awesome.  

TVC15

« Reply #163 on: February 25, 2008, 04:00:18 AM »
Actually, he's in the Ocean's movies, too, right?  It's hard to keep straight who's in those because they are basically Walmart-style garbage bags filled with cheetos except instead of cheetos it's celebrities.
serge

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
I wonder when Nick Cave is going to write another movie.  The Proposition was pretty well-received, right?  Maybe he is getting more interested in movies in his old age.  It's pretty awesome that he fronts the best best band in the world and the movies is like his side gig. <3 Nick.

Casey is awesome in the Assassination of Jesse James.  Going in, I kinda had a bias about actors with the last name Affleck, but he's pretty awesome.  I believe this is my first exposure to him.

He was in Good Will Hunting and the Ocean's movies as well.  He always played borderline distinguished mentally-challenged fellows, that was like his specialty.
PS4

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
« Reply #165 on: February 25, 2008, 04:09:02 AM »
Well, I can't be disappointed by this year's Oscars. Nothing really didn't win that didn't deserve SOMETHING.

Except for Jesse James. I really, really want to see that now.

And of course, I want to see The Counterfeiters, to satisfy my international film love.
HLR

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
2007 was the best year for movies in a long while.
PS4

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Yeah, I think I am going to buy The Assassination of Brad Pitt by the Coward Casey Affleck on BLU-GAY sometime this week.  I came close to making a blind buy at Best Buy a week ago, but I just don't like doing that with my personal film collection.  I'm a sucker for westerns and the hype from folks I trust is too high, though.

I didn't get to see the DEATH MONTAGE.  Who got the most applause/tears - Bergman or Ledger?
PSP

TVC15

Do you really have to ask?
serge

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Yes, I do.

I want to know who got more mad death props.  Ingmar or WHY SO SERIOS?
PSP

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
Did they show Bergman playing chess with death by any chance?
vjj

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #171 on: February 25, 2008, 09:01:28 AM »
True story.  The 1st cadaver I saw was a black guy with an absolutely gigantic member.  I don't know if it was the formaldehyde or what but the thing just looked unnatural.  It was at least a foot long and as wide as my forearm.  The balls were the size of my clenched fist.

and that's what inspired you to go into medical school?

anyway, yay no country, boo juno.

really happy with tilda's win.  i've loved her since orlando
Tonya

DJ_Tet

The pacing is perfect?  Mupepe is insane.  It's good, but way overrated.  I haven't seen There Will Be Blood, but I really have no interest.  Don't like Paul Thomas Anderson and the folks I trust all say it's just a Daniel-Day Lewis vehicle.  Pass.

That's so unfair to Paul Dano I can't even tell you.

This movie, while flawed, was robbed.  Dano didn't even get nominated and without his performance the movie might have fallen apart.  Glad to see it got a Cinematography nod though, it was a beautifully shot and framed film.

As a movie guy, you owe it to yourself to watch it.  It has a lot more going for it than most mainstream flicks.
TIT

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #173 on: February 25, 2008, 12:00:02 PM »
I'm with Willco; I've never seen a P.T. Anderson movie I've liked. There Will Be Blood looks like it might be the first, but boy am I wary.
乱学者

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #174 on: February 25, 2008, 12:05:40 PM »
I'm with Willco; I've never seen a P.T. Anderson movie I've liked. There Will Be Blood looks like it might be the first, but boy am I wary.

that was my sentiment as well

i enjoyed bits of it individually but it didn't cohere as a whole.
Tonya

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #175 on: February 25, 2008, 12:58:51 PM »
My grandpa loved it and said it was the best movie he's seen in a long time. Granted, he only recently started watching movies again, but it's tough to impress an 80-year-old Army veteran. I hadn't seen him gush over something like that in a while. It was cool to talk to him about a great film.
AMC

TVC15

I can't believe there are people that don't like Boogie Nights.  It is legitimately fuck awesome.  It's PTA before he went over-the-edge indulgent.
serge

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #177 on: February 25, 2008, 01:50:27 PM »
I can't believe there are people that don't like Boogie Nights.  It is legitimately fuck awesome.  It's PTA before he went over-the-edge indulgent.
The Alfred Molina drug deal alone has enough awesome for five movies.

While I agree he can be a little iffy in some of the choices he makes, every PTAnderson film generally has great performances, fantastic music, and a good sense of humor.  I've yet to see anything from him that wasn't at the very least entertaining.

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #178 on: February 25, 2008, 01:54:32 PM »

i couldn't finish it.  it just didn't appeal to me.
magnolia either.

Tonya

TVC15

Magnolia has great performances and some great bits, but it's so ridiculous and indulgent that I can totally get people not liking it.  I'm not even a fan of it, really.  Punchdrunk Love is just a strange duck.  I'm a sucker for dysfunctional humor, and I think PDL is an interesting example.  It's no Todd Solondz or anything, but I dug it.
serge