10 (38.5%)
Juno (haha)
2 (7.7%)
Michael Clayton
3 (11.5%)
Atonement
3 (11.5%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: Evilbore's Academy Award for Best Picture and Academy Awards Discussion Thread  (Read 16188 times)

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
Re: Evilbore's Academy Award for Best Picture and Academy Awards Discussion Thre
« Reply #180 on: February 25, 2008, 02:40:38 PM »
i totally forgot about pdl.  but i haven't seen that either.  i don't like sandler in oscar glory mode nor in billy madison mode
Tonya

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
i totally forgot about pdl.  but i haven't seen that either.  i don't like sandler in oscar glory mode nor in billy madison mode

Like I said, I think PDL is an interesting weird comedy, but I'm not sure if it stands up with the greats of the weird comedy niche genre.  The most nicest objective thing I can say about PDL is that it does a fairly decent job of avoiding Sandler's more typical "modes."
serge

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
plus they use songs from popeye the movie
sup

Mandark

• Icon
Re: Evilbore's Academy Award for Best Picture and Academy Awards Discussion Thre
« Reply #183 on: February 25, 2008, 02:53:16 PM »
I can't believe there are people that don't like Boogie Nights.  It is legitimately fuck awesome.  It's PTA before he went over-the-edge indulgent.

I've only seen parts, but it seems like a movie that would trigger my usual complaints about biopics and especially Scorcese gangster movies.

Someone shoots to the top of an exciting, taboo business, then a combination of hubris and cocaine tear everything down.  Even if it's really well executed, I never enjoy it quite as much as it probably deserves.  Just a preference thing.

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
Magnolia has great performances and some great bits, but it's so ridiculous and indulgent that I can totally get people not liking it.  I'm not even a fan of it, really.  Punchdrunk Love is just a strange duck.  I'm a sucker for dysfunctional humor, and I think PDL is an interesting example.  It's no Todd Solondz or anything, but I dug it.

Magnolia is way too long, and random at that, so I can definitely see the hate for it.

There Will Be Blood is MUCH MUCH MUCH better than Magnolia though. It's a different film altogether that never feels long and features not only the best performance in cinema today, but another one by Paul Dano that is also pretty damn good. I really think he got robbed for the best supporting actor nominee.
HLR

calcifer

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #185 on: February 25, 2008, 07:01:27 PM »
there will be blood should've won

no country is a decent flick but pretty mediocre by coen standards

twbb is the best movie in years

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
Just watched Jesse James. Yea, that should've won Cinematography. Beautiful fucking movie. And Casey Affleck already has a more impressive body of acting work than his brother.
AMC

bagofeyes

• blow me - I deserve it
« Reply #187 on: February 25, 2008, 08:51:17 PM »
Was there any nipple slippage on the red carpet?

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
Brad Pitt is soooooo hawt, too
serge

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #189 on: February 25, 2008, 09:24:00 PM »
I gotta choose a shot from the movie to put in the image header on my blog. :P
AMC

ferrarimanf355

• I have the cutest car on The Bore
The Simpsons Movie should have been nominated for best animated feature.  >:(

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
Boogie Nights is pretty indulgent, IMO.  It's about 30 minutes too long.  Anderson's movies always run long, tho - I think he has final cut on all his films nowadays.
PS4

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Michael Clayton was actually pretty good.  It was like a suspensful Erin Brokovich!
PSP

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
Michael Clayton was actually pretty good.  It was like a suspensful Erin Brokovich!

Too bad George Clooney's boobs aren't as nice as Julia's.
PS4

Mupepe

• Icon

Too bad George Clooney's boobs aren't as nice as Julia's.
Yeah but he has a better voice and face and isn't a douche

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #195 on: February 26, 2008, 12:57:59 PM »
TVC, did you see There Will Be Blood?
püp