Author Topic: Speed Racer: the film  (Read 14290 times)

Enl

Re: Speed Racer: the film
« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2008, 01:41:12 AM »
Just got back from it. It's probably one of the most colorful films I've seen yet coming out of a digital projector. So unless you're one of those whose parents were raped by a rainbow when you were a kid, there are skies so blue in this film it will make your eyes bleed. It really does succeed as a living cartoon. The moment the film starts it feels like someone just handed you a fruity candy cane laced with acid.

I never was into the show when I was a kid but as I got older I could appreciate the sheer cheesiness of its style. I do think that the Wachowski's accomplished what they had set out to do, which was take the tone of the cartoon and exaggerate it for the big screen. The races were very kinetic, my favorite being the one that plays out like a "Wacky Races" cartoon with weapons and car-fu. Plus it's got ninjas and John Goodman, and they're always intimidating badasses (well at least Goodman is).

I did have some problems with the film. I felt the first half was a bit weak and Speed came off as a shallow character. It also had some pretty poor pacing issues. There were moments where I got confused by what was a flashback/flashforward and what was present time, and I also felt the film went one race too long (there was a moment where it looked like it was building up to an ending but instead went to another race). I also think the film had an unnecessarily complex story dealing with corporate greed and corruption. One that is surely to fly over the majority of children's heads.

The movie does have a couple of distinguished mentally-challenged kids' moments. You know, those moments of sheer brain dead stupidity that have plagued children's films since the 90's. Thankfully those are few and John Goodman was always around the corner to balance things out. Speaking of which, Goodman easily overshadows everyone else in this movie. His character probably has more depth and emotion than the entire cast combined.

Overall I think Speed Racer falls into the "good but not great" category. It's definitely got more energy and imagination than Iron Man did, and does all it needs to do in one movie without cockteasing at a potentially better sequel.
mmm

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2008, 01:41:41 AM »
Episode 3 sucks big donkey dick. Return of the Jedi is way better.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2008, 01:42:14 AM »
I've already read a mean spioler for TDK and now I stay clear from any and all threads about it.

does it relate to someone dying?

ie

spoiler

spoiler (click to show/hide)
fiance?
[close]

spoiler

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2008, 01:52:35 AM »
How come Transformers made a fucktillion dollars, and Speed Racer can't make crap? It ain't right.
©@©™

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2008, 01:54:34 AM »
How come Transformers made a fucktillion dollars, and Speed Racer can't make crap? It ain't right.

I agree on an artistic level, but on a marketing level, an anime that was viewed by forty-something father and his small group of geek peers isn't really ripe for merchandising to the extent of an intellectual property that has been a huge goldmine with kids for decades.
PSP

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2008, 01:56:47 AM »
is there at least a monkey in this film? I saw nothing of the sort in the preview
itm

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #66 on: May 14, 2008, 01:58:51 AM »
Yes, there's plenty of red-hot monkey action.
©@©™

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2008, 08:53:13 AM »
if you told me two months ago that willco and solo were going to be discussing the finer nuances of speed racer, i would have laughed in your face.
Tonya

Solo

« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2008, 11:52:39 AM »
I likes what I likes! I feel no shame in my unabashed SR love! Did you see it yet Eric?

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2008, 12:06:57 PM »
no

this weekend

when i went to see a movie on monday the only thing playing was iron man because it's on a million screens
Tonya

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2008, 12:15:05 PM »
Speed Racer has actually gotten better with time and distance ... I am sad it will almost assuredly be out of theaters by the time I get back from Japan.

If I had to pick two touchstones, I'd say Moulin Rouge and 2001. Moulin Rouge because that's another charming, heartfelt, kinetic film dismissed by most critics as "all action and no heart," seemingly baseless complaints about story, etc. SR has just as much characterization and plot as Iron Man does - you're not allowed to bash SR and turn around and praise Iron Man's "fresh take" in the next breath.

2001, specifically the Beyond the Infinite section, because the movie and especially the Grand Prix are just that fucking out there in terms of visual overstimulation.

Can't wait for it on Blu Ray, and a shame it's bombing so severely.
乱学者

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #71 on: May 14, 2008, 12:21:40 PM »
iron man was a breath of fresh air?

it was the hulk with different characters
Tonya

DJ_Tet

« Reply #72 on: May 14, 2008, 12:25:19 PM »
Damnit.  This better still be in a theater next week.  I am going out of town this weekend.  If I miss out I'm going to be pissed.
TIT

Solo

« Reply #73 on: May 14, 2008, 02:06:21 PM »
Speed Racer has actually gotten better with time and distance ... I am sad it will almost assuredly be out of theaters by the time I get back from Japan.

If I had to pick two touchstones, I'd say Moulin Rouge and 2001. Moulin Rouge because that's another charming, heartfelt, kinetic film dismissed by most critics as "all action and no heart," seemingly baseless complaints about story, etc. SR has just as much characterization and plot as Iron Man does - you're not allowed to bash SR and turn around and praise Iron Man's "fresh take" in the next breath.

2001, specifically the Beyond the Infinite section, because the movie and especially the Grand Prix are just that fucking out there in terms of visual overstimulation.

Word to this entire post... and I often disagree with Patel. SR: the great uniter! I also cant wait for the BD of this (which, with it bombing so bad, wont be too long of a wait). Unless WB totally mucks it up, it should be a reference quality disc.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2008, 02:24:10 PM »
Fucking loved every second of it. Of the two "summer" movies released so far, this shits all over Iron Man ('cept at the box office, lolz). 2 hours of pure, unbridled joy for me. Digital projection just added to the win. And this is coming from someone who hates anime, hated the Wachowskis after their last two films, and thought this movie looked distinguished mentally-challenged initially.

That this is bombing is a fucking shame. Its worth seeing for the visuals alone, which are like nothing you've ever seen.

A man shitting into a bag for two hours is also like nothing I've ever seen, but that doesn't mean that it's a good movie.
yar

border

« Reply #75 on: May 14, 2008, 02:31:08 PM »
I was smiling through most of the movie, thinking "I can't believe somebody made this ridiculous piece of shit.....I can't believe some studio exec signed off on it.....I can't believe Susan Sarandon though this was worth her time."  It's fun, but it seems like a pretty obvious recipe for failure.

It's not really good in any classic, or objective sense.  It's just straight up goofy and how much it charms you is gonna depend on how much you'll buy into that goofiness.  It really is a big cartoon.  I'm surprised to see anyone praising the acting -- I think it's all intentionally pretty terrible melodrama.  Everything's delivered with such forceful weight......which I suppose is meant to make it like the cartoon.  Matthew Fox is probably the best at this.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #76 on: May 14, 2008, 02:48:14 PM »
Triumph continues to hate without properly screening it!  That's just silly.  Even the movies I have a hate-on for, I will go see just so I can make a clear argument against (Star Wars!).
PSP

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #77 on: May 14, 2008, 02:56:02 PM »
Triumph continues to hate without properly screening it!  That's just silly.  Even the movies I have a hate-on for, I will go see just so I can make a clear argument against (Star Wars!).

You know, I could go spend 2 hours in a theater watching a bad movie or I could walk to the beach and chill with my dog.  Pretty easy choice when you break it down, no?
yar

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #78 on: May 14, 2008, 03:00:31 PM »
You never appreciate good cinema until you watch bad cinema.  Also, if you only have two hours a day - you suck.  Aren't you unemployed anyway?  I'm sure you have lots of free time!

Even if you hate it, you know from a technical perspective, there's a lot you can take away from this film.  That alone should be worth the price of admission for folks that follow the industry.

Now, I'm not going to watch Harold and Kumar 2 in theatres, but I probably will go see Indiana Jones even though I have a strong gut feeling that it'll be a soulless and unnecessary enterprise.  Why?  To see what Spielberg cooked up.
PSP

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #79 on: May 14, 2008, 03:04:36 PM »
Dude, before my friends made The Signal I watched pretty much every shitty horror movie made in the past 40 years for reference material. I think sitting through the Eli Roth catalog gives me a pass on watching more shitty movies for a couple years.
yar

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #80 on: May 14, 2008, 03:16:05 PM »

Now, I'm going to give the movie a fair shake and all, but you just compared it to a) one of the best movies of the decade, and b) one of the best movies of ALL TIME.  That's some mighty hype you be spittin'.
serge

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #81 on: May 14, 2008, 03:24:35 PM »
Dude, before my friends made The Signal I watched pretty much every shitty horror movie made in the past 40 years for reference material. I think sitting through the Eli Roth catalog gives me a pass on watching more shitty movies for a couple years.

Almost all horror movies are shitty movies.  The genre is pretty bad.  That doesn't excuse you for anything!

I don't think he's comparing Speed Racer as a whole to either film, TVC - he's just saying that parts of it are comparable to those two flicks.  I get where he's coming from.
PSP

border

« Reply #82 on: May 14, 2008, 04:34:01 PM »
You know, I could go spend 2 hours in a theater watching a bad movie or I could walk to the beach and chill with my dog.
Did you move out of ATL?  If not, that would be a pretty long walk to the beach.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #83 on: May 14, 2008, 04:36:23 PM »
You know, I could go spend 2 hours in a theater watching a bad movie or I could walk to the beach and chill with my dog.

Did you move out of ATL?  If not, that would be a pretty long walk to the beach.

Yeah, I've been living in scenic Wilmington, NC since last August.
yar

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #84 on: May 14, 2008, 04:37:57 PM »

Word to this entire post... and I often disagree with Patel. SR: the great uniter! I also cant wait for the BD of this (which, with it bombing so bad, wont be too long of a wait). Unless WB totally mucks it up, it should be a reference quality disc.

I can't believe you just agreed with a post that compared Speed Racer to 2001.

The world is turning upside down.

Maybe I'll get laid soon.
AMC

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #85 on: May 14, 2008, 04:41:40 PM »

Whoa, whoa, whoa... let's not get hasty here.
yar

Solo

« Reply #86 on: May 14, 2008, 04:47:50 PM »

Im not agreeing that SR is a film of 2001's quality. It isnt, and anyone who tries to tell you so is batshit insane. And I dont think Patel was trying to say that. I was agreeing with what I thought Patel was saying, which was that SR felt like 2001 visually, in that its an all out assault on your senses. 2001 is one of the greatest films ever made, and SR is not.

What SR IS, however, in my eyes, is the best "summer"/blockbuster movie Ive seen since probably Batman Begins some 3 years ago, or Spidey 2 some 4 years ago.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 04:51:51 PM by Solo »

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #87 on: May 14, 2008, 07:16:03 PM »
Almost all horror movies are shitty movies.  The genre is pretty bad. 

septic cinematic wasteland
Tonya

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #88 on: May 14, 2008, 10:08:01 PM »

Im not agreeing that SR is a film of 2001's quality. It isnt, and anyone who tries to tell you so is batshit insane. And I dont think Patel was trying to say that. I was agreeing with what I thought Patel was saying, which was that SR felt like 2001 visually, in that its an all out assault on your senses. 2001 is one of the greatest films ever made, and SR is not.

What SR IS, however, in my eyes, is the best "summer"/blockbuster movie Ive seen since probably Batman Begins some 3 years ago, or Spidey 2 some 4 years ago.

yeah, in no way was I saying SR was as good as 2001 (or even Moulin Rouge) - but I think that the gut, visceral hate-ons people have for the movie are derived from elements shared with those two movies.
乱学者

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #89 on: May 14, 2008, 10:09:36 PM »
I want to see footage of people on hallucigens watching it.  That one lap where Speed is battling other colorful cars with the alternating black and white zebra thing going on in the background is likely to give some kids seizures.
PSP

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #90 on: May 14, 2008, 10:10:18 PM »
HE DRIVES THROUGH A ZOETROPE

how awesome is that
乱学者

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #91 on: May 14, 2008, 10:11:42 PM »
Is that what it's called?

Yeah, that was pretty nuts.
PSP

Solo

« Reply #92 on: May 14, 2008, 11:45:34 PM »
I think the downright wackiest bit was with the chimp and the little bro causing hijinx to the Freebird solo.

brandonh83

« Reply #93 on: May 16, 2008, 03:31:55 PM »
This movie is fucking incredible. Yep that's all I wanted to post.

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #94 on: May 16, 2008, 04:21:34 PM »
so my local theater added showings this weekend
Tonya

Solo

« Reply #95 on: May 16, 2008, 04:42:06 PM »
Cant wait to see if you love it or hate it, Eric.

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #96 on: May 16, 2008, 04:47:26 PM »
think i'lll hit the 5:20 show and skip out on the huge commute home
Tonya

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #97 on: May 16, 2008, 06:24:14 PM »
Yea, I think I'm gonna want to see this tomorrow. I'm totally bombing out one course, but I just found out I don't need a C in it to graduate. I need to celebrate. :rock
AMC

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #98 on: May 16, 2008, 10:02:42 PM »
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW
Tonya

Solo

« Reply #99 on: May 16, 2008, 10:17:53 PM »
Welcome, brother. Cool beans!

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #100 on: May 16, 2008, 10:19:33 PM »
that was so amazing

the detail in the art direction was just amazing

i think my favorite part was probably when speed kisses trixie and the flashbulbs turn to hearts

and the canyon fight was amazing the way they added in the "speed lines" around the action points of fists flying and feet kicking...

and motherfucking richard goddamn roundtree.
Tonya

Solo

« Reply #101 on: May 16, 2008, 10:21:17 PM »
 :lol

You definately left the theatre as pumped and excited as I did. That rocks. Im going to go see it early next week again, just so that I get a second viewing in before it goes *poof* from all existence in theatres.

That fight scene was fucking fanastic.

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #102 on: May 16, 2008, 10:24:41 PM »
this really is the best film they've done since Bound.

It was really with this that i saw that kind of passion in it

i was so pumped i bought a speed racer lego set

sadly they didn't have an awesome mach 5.

the races were just insane. 

at parts i felt it was overlong, but then something AMAZING would happen and all of that would be wiped away.  i sat through half the damn movie with a goofy ass grin on my face.

just an absolute pleasure to watch.  just such joy of cinema.

lars van trier am suicide

time to take dogma 95 out back and put it down like old yeller
Tonya

Solo

« Reply #103 on: May 16, 2008, 10:57:18 PM »
How the W bros used the effects really impressed me. Like having Speed racing against the competition AND his brother's memory at the same time (and darnit, I got a lil misty eyed when he let up on the gas, lolz).

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #104 on: May 16, 2008, 11:07:26 PM »
yeah, the ghost effect was so awesome.

that whole opening race was awesome the flash backs, forwards, the editing the building of character

and john goodman.  wow.

i mean

it's speed racer

fucking SPEED RACER

how did they do that?
Tonya

Solo

« Reply #105 on: May 16, 2008, 11:10:43 PM »
'Tis a question I have been pondering for almost a week! Wachowskis? Frackin' Speed Racer? Great movie? Yes sir!

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #106 on: May 17, 2008, 11:55:36 AM »
awesome, Eric, glad you joined the winning team 8)

seeing it in digital IMAX was fantastic. can't wait for it to come out on bluRay.

I have a new theory that people over a certain age might not have the brain parts necessary to parse the narrative.
乱学者

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #107 on: May 17, 2008, 12:02:45 PM »
That theory wouldn't make sense since you are like 40-years-old, Patel!
PSP

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #108 on: May 17, 2008, 12:10:07 PM »
I had a dream about talking about talking about Speed Racer.
AMC

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #109 on: May 17, 2008, 12:10:34 PM »
That theory wouldn't make sense since you are like 40-years-old, Patel!

I'm not even 30! I just have the hairline of a 40-year-old :(
乱学者

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #110 on: May 17, 2008, 04:37:23 PM »
Speed Racer was probably one of the most psychedelic movies that I've seen in a good long while. If I had to compare it to something, it was like some poured skittles on my head while I was the stargate sequence from 2001 over and over for two hours only sometimes the stargate sequence would go away and kid and monkey would appear on the screen. I can't even begin to imagine what that movie would do to someone who was actually ON drugs.
dog

TVC15

« Reply #111 on: May 18, 2008, 02:14:04 AM »
Holy shit, that was the best summer movie I can think of that I've managed to see in a theater.  I walked out of that theatre with a big ol' dumb smile on my face.  I couldn't have been happier with the movie.  I can't wait to have it on BD!

Speed Racer >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Iron Man

I feel bad for Triumph for writing this one off and trolling it like he's seen it.
serge

EvilBoris

« Reply #112 on: May 18, 2008, 02:17:48 AM »
 too many kids on a sugar rush here.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #113 on: May 18, 2008, 02:17:51 AM »
The Wachowski Bros. pieced together the best summer fare in ages, and everyone hates it.  I think it also sucks that they will never be able to explore the concept or universe ever again after this.
PSP

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #114 on: May 18, 2008, 02:18:56 AM »
wait, why do people hate it?
duc

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #115 on: May 18, 2008, 02:20:20 AM »
Triumph hates it because he fears of some nerd-stalgia in a similar vein of Transformers, but when was Speed Racer ever that popular amongst the Adul Swim demographic?  Most folks hate its colorful style, dialogue, acting, directing, etc.

A ton of critics think it's so psychadelic that it's disgusting.
PSP

TVC15

« Reply #116 on: May 18, 2008, 02:24:59 AM »
The Wachowski Bros. pieced together the best summer fare in ages, and everyone hates it.  I think it also sucks that they will never be able to explore the concept or universe ever again after this.

It's like perfectly cast, too.  I can't believe this bombed :(  This is going to be a cult classic for sure.

The opening 20 or so minutes with the introductions and the multiple flashbacks going on was really neat.  All the editing was impressive.  The editing was taking cues from both the cartoons and whatever drugs the Wachowski's were taking.  I can't even nitpick this movie, aside from one or two slow scenes, although they weren't that long. 
serge

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #117 on: May 18, 2008, 02:27:52 AM »
There are folks that absolutely hated how it went back and forth of the timeline in the beginning of the movie, but I felt it worked really well.  This gave a lot more heart and credibility to Speed Racer than the anime ever did.

Like I said, this is a psychadelic living cartoon that has heart and charm.  So many summer blockbusters feel completely soulless and manufactured (Transformers included!), but you can tell that this is not the case here.
PSP

TVC15

« Reply #118 on: May 18, 2008, 02:29:54 AM »
And Roger Allam was excellent, again, too.  He's a good villain.
serge

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #119 on: May 18, 2008, 02:31:28 AM »
How 'bout that Michael Giacchino score too?
PSP