Author Topic: Speed Racer: the film  (Read 14289 times)

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
Speed Racer: the film
« on: May 08, 2008, 02:44:55 AM »
Hey, I've not seen a bad movie in a while. I consider part of my film study to be to study horrible films as well, and this looks like it might fit the bill quite nicely, due to a fucking pathetic Rotten Tomatoes ranking and the fact that the trailer looked like fried horse shit.

Anyone else going to stomach this monstrosity this weekend in order to appreciate There Will Be Blood and No Country for Old Men more? I'm probably going to watch that and Iron Man this weekend.
HLR

Raban

• The baby...
Re: Speed Racer: the film
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 02:45:51 AM »
Wachowski Bros. :yuck
SRY

Solo

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 03:02:12 AM »
I actually get the feeling that despite my wanting to hate it, that it will actually rock.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 03:08:04 AM »
Yeah, I have a sneaky suspscion that it will be far from terrible.
PSP

Candyflip

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 03:14:54 AM »

I want to kill this kid.
ffs

Robo

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 03:16:49 AM »
hahah what the fuck
obo

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 03:16:50 AM »
It looks like F-Zero GX: The Movie.
©@©™

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 06:20:30 AM »
Watch Redbelt instead!

Edit: Actually, I making it sound like Redbelt will suck by posting in this thread. It looks sweet
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 06:30:22 AM by BlueTsunami »
:9

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 08:49:31 AM »
I don't know what this ching chong shit is in the first place.

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 09:09:50 AM »
i can't WAIT to see this.  if nothing else it will be HFCS for the eyes.
Tonya

DJ_Tet

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 11:21:38 AM »
I might have to go see this alone, but I really want to see it on the big screen.  I'm hoping for positive word of mouth and perhaps I can talk a couple of buddies into it.
TIT

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 12:45:30 PM »
Yeah, I have a sneaky suspscion that it will be far from terrible.

But does it have what it takes to be this year's TRANSFORMERS, Federwang?
yar

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2008, 01:17:58 PM »
Hey, I've not seen a bad movie in a while. I consider part of my film study to be to study horrible films as well, and this looks like it might fit the bill quite nicely, due to a fucking pathetic Rotten Tomatoes ranking and the fact that the trailer looked like fried horse shit.

Anyone else going to stomach this monstrosity this weekend in order to appreciate There Will Be Blood and No Country for Old Men more? I'm probably going to watch that and Iron Man this weekend.

jeez you don't have to be a dick about it. the movie looks like trash yes, but enough of the e-penis stroking plz mmk :bow

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2008, 01:21:56 PM »
The movie looks awesome you stupid fucks
o_0

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2008, 01:25:27 PM »
OH LOOKIE ME I APPRECVIATE THE FINER MOVIES ONLY SUNDANCE LIEKS CUZ ITS ALL FILM GRAIN BLACK AND WHITE SCOWLING AND REAL CRIME
o_0

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2008, 01:41:47 PM »
i can't WAIT to see this.  if nothing else it will be HFCS for the eyes.
]

I've been stoked since before the first image was released! history will back me up

I'm so there at the digital IMAX
乱学者

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2008, 01:57:02 PM »

Transformers wasn't spectacular by any means - just fun.  Not even comparable films.  The only film that might be as good as Transformers in the "good times, but hopelessly forgettable" category and delivers on its promise is probably Indiana Jones.
PSP

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2008, 02:16:06 PM »
OH LOOKIE ME I APPRECVIATE THE FINER MOVIES ONLY SUNDANCE LIEKS CUZ ITS ALL FILM GRAIN BLACK AND WHITE SCOWLING AND REAL CRIME

I like the Star Wars prequels. I think I don't count in this category.
HLR

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2008, 02:17:06 PM »

Transformers wasn't spectacular by any means - just fun.  Not even comparable films.  The only film that might be as good as Transformers in the "good times, but hopelessly forgettable" category and delivers on its promise is probably Indiana Jones.

Indiana Jones will be memorable. I think a lot of people will be eating crow once this film comes out.

It's SPIELBERG. He's directing. I think we are safe folks.
HLR

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2008, 02:19:32 PM »
Spielberg hasn't made a great film in a long time.  Why would we be safe?

I can give you ten reasons why the film will suck, and none can be countered with, "Hey, it's Spielberg!"  One of my reasons is that the director is Spielberg.
PSP

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2008, 02:35:53 PM »
Spielberg hasn't made a great film in a long time.  Why would we be safe?

I can give you ten reasons why the film will suck, and none can be countered with, "Hey, it's Spielberg!"  One of my reasons is that the director is Spielberg.

Jesus. Not this again.

War of the Worlds - decent
Minority Report - one of the best films this decade
AI - woefully underappreciated

I didn't like Munich, but it was shot and acted well. The pacing was just too slow for this type of film.

As for the other reasons -

LeBeouf: He's just been in shitty movies. I think he could pull it off. I didn't really have a problem with him in Transformers or Disturbia, just what he was stuck with.
Lucas: seriously, even though I like the prequels, I have my complaints. I'm not going to deny that the dialogue sucked and the acting is horrible. However, Lucas is not directing or writing the screenplay, so there shouldn't be shitty dialogue or acting.
Aliens in Indy: Okay, seriously. This is the man that fucking directed E.T. and Close Encounters. I think he knows how to handle the material correctly.

I heard clips from the John Williams score (the last Williams score I haven't liked was Chamber of Secrets) and it sounds like an Indy score should, to say the least.

Seriously, I'm not seeing any reason why this will suck.
HLR

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2008, 02:36:46 PM »
You like the prequels?

REBUTTAL DENIED.

Minority Report is not one of the best films of this decade whatsoever.
PSP

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2008, 02:38:26 PM »

yeah, i can at least see everything else you  discussed as being a valid viewpoint, even if it's not my viewpoint as well, but i don't see that at all.

Munich was better than Minority Report
Tonya

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2008, 02:39:45 PM »
You like the prequels?

REBUTTAL DENIED.

I love how you jump to that immediately, even though I explain that they aren't perfect. I just think the stories and visuals are interesting enough to carry the film. And, Episode III is better then Return of the Jedi. Ian McDiarmand outfucking acts everyone in all of the prequels in that one movie.
HLR

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2008, 02:40:59 PM »
Spielberg has made a bunch of mediocre films this century and that's all.  Artificial Intelligence didn't deserve to be shat on, but it certainly doesn't deserve much praise.  Totally flawed Kubrick-lite film.

So where's this awesome track record of quality?  Not in the past ten years or so.  Spielberg hasn't made a truly great film in awhile.  All his stuff is mediocre and the guy can't pick a script to save his life anymore.

Based on his track record, I suspect Indiana Jonese and The Search for E.T. will be MEDIOCRE.
PSP

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2008, 02:42:34 PM »
I love how you jump to that immediately, even though I explain that they aren't perfect. I just think the stories and visuals are interesting enough to carry the film.

No.

And, Episode III is better then Return of the Jedi.

Episode III isn't even better than the lame Ewoks movie.

Ian McDiarmand outfucking acts everyone in all of the prequels in that one movie.

What?  Are you kidding me? :lol

I wasn't aware that chewing scenery and hamming it up qualifies as acting.  Although, if judged against the cardboard cutouts from the rest of the prequels - he probably does seem awesome.
PSP

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2008, 02:43:51 PM »
Well, I can at least guarantee that Willco will think it is mediocre.

Then again, he liked Transformers.
HLR

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2008, 02:45:32 PM »
Anyways, back on topic:

the visual style of Speed Racer will probably give me a migraine in less than two minutes. Although Giaccino (sp?) does the score.
HLR

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2008, 02:45:47 PM »
Which was borderline mediocre, only propped up for me personally on the fact that I get erections from giant robots blowing shit up.  I never claimed it was high art!  I also prefaced my review with my expectations - for it to be as woefully bad as the cartoon.  Which it wasn't.  I dug it.

Whereas my expectations for the Indiana Jones movie are HIGH because I like the series.  You see?
PSP

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2008, 02:47:58 PM »
Which was borderline mediocre, only propped up for me personally on the fact that I get erections from giant robots blowing shit up.  I never claimed it was high art!  I also prefaced my review with my expectations - for it to be as woefully bad as the cartoon.  Which it wasn't.  I dug it.

Whereas my expectations for the Indiana Jones movie are HIGH because I like the series.  You see?

Well, I can guarantee that one of us will be eating crow by June. Who that is will remain to be seen.

HLR

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2008, 07:25:22 PM »
Bloodwake, you like the Star Wars prequels - of course you'll love the new Indy. The only person who will be eating crow is you when EB definitely rates Indy on a 10 point scale

EvilBoris

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2008, 09:37:35 PM »
The only person who will be eating crow is you when EB definitely rates Indy on a 10 point scale

oh no!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 09:51:54 PM by EvilBoris »

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2008, 09:58:43 PM »
I'm trying to go see Speed Racer at the Omni Imax at the aquarium in Boston.  :hyper
Hi

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2008, 10:00:37 PM »
I'm going to see Speed Racer in digital IMAX at the Irvine Spectrum. :hyper
乱学者

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2008, 10:09:21 PM »
I love how people are already convinced its going to suck.
HLR

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2008, 10:51:20 PM »
Episode III isn't even better than the lame Ewoks movie.

Caravan of Courage or An Ewok Adventure?
itm

Enl

« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2008, 10:56:36 PM »
The first seven minutes is now online in HD format:

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/speedracer.html?showVideo=1

This film should've been in 3d.
mmm

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2008, 11:06:27 PM »
that would have been great.

this is, so far, exactly what i hoped it would be.
Tonya

Enl

« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2008, 11:18:00 PM »
From what I can tell it does the cartoon more justice than GI Joe ever will. Yeah it's cheesy but that's point.
mmm

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2008, 11:19:49 PM »
yeah.  over the top a bit, as far as the racing, but the original was as well it just wasn't so...well it wasn't so THIS.
Tonya

Solo

« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2008, 11:01:07 PM »
Fucking loved every second of it. Of the two "summer" movies released so far, this shits all over Iron Man ('cept at the box office, lolz). 2 hours of pure, unbridled joy for me. Digital projection just added to the win. And this is coming from someone who hates anime, hated the Wachowskis after their last two films, and thought this movie looked distinguished mentally-challenged initially.

That this is bombing is a fucking shame. Its worth seeing for the visuals alone, which are like nothing you've ever seen.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 11:09:22 PM by Solo »

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2008, 11:12:22 PM »
i wanted to see it last night but it wasn't playing at a good time for me

this weekend assuredly
Tonya

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2008, 12:01:49 AM »
Fucking loved every second of it. Of the two "summer" movies released so far, this shits all over Iron Man ('cept at the box office, lolz). 2 hours of pure, unbridled joy for me. Digital projection just added to the win. And this is coming from someone who hates anime, hated the Wachowskis after their last two films, and thought this movie looked distinguished mentally-challenged initially.

That this is bombing is a fucking shame. Its worth seeing for the visuals alone, which are like nothing you've ever seen.

:o
AMC

Solo

« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2008, 12:02:50 AM »
Yessir!

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2008, 12:05:31 AM »
I really don't have time to see it until next weekend.

I don't know if it's still going to be around. :lol
AMC

Solo

« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2008, 12:07:38 AM »
Probably wont be  :lol

:'(

You wont like it anyways, Juice.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2008, 12:08:28 AM »
Finals  :'(

Actuarial Exam  :'(

You wont like it anyways, Juice.

Yeah, probably not. But I figured I might as well check it out on the big screen if I was going to at all.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 12:12:13 AM by CajoleJuice »
AMC

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2008, 12:09:47 AM »
You like the prequels?

REBUTTAL DENIED.

I love how you jump to that immediately, even though I explain that they aren't perfect. I just think the stories and visuals are interesting enough to carry the film. And, Episode III is better then Return of the Jedi. Ian McDiarmand outfucking acts everyone in all of the prequels in that one movie.

chewing scenery and hamming it up isn't acting. i thought ian mcdiarmid was fucking awful in rots, which is sad for a dude with legitimate stage skillz.
duc

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2008, 12:33:21 AM »
Good to see Solo join Patel and I at the big boy's table!
PSP

Solo

« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2008, 12:40:48 AM »
Seriously, hours after seeing the movie, I cant get it out of my head. I think the Wachowskis really delivered something special here. Hopefully it gains some cult status since it sure as hell aint getting mainstream approval.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2008, 01:11:59 AM »
I wasn't as exuberant as you were, but I share your thoughts.  I think I walked away from that film far more fulfilled than I was even with Iron Man, despite everyone saying otherwise.  It really feels like a living cartoon and they committed something to celluoid that nobody has before (save for Who Framed Roger Rabbit) - a cartoon with a heart.  It's not soulless whatsoever and the actors totally sell it.  It's campy and over-the-top and all those things that make animation great, but it's not hollow, which is where so many of its predecessors have failed before.  To me, that's the big difference.

I'm going to try and see it again on IMAX this weekend, before it bows out of theatre completely.
PSP

Solo

« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2008, 01:15:34 AM »
Yeah, I think thats why it really worked for me - it never felt hollow or soulless or shallow. Quite the contrary, which is quite an achievement given the source.

Nice to see Im not the only one who preferred it over IM.

Ill also be seeing it once more before it leaves theatres all-too-soon.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2008, 01:19:20 AM »
Yeah, I've heard quite a few folks refer to it as this generation's Dick Tracy, even favorably, but I think that does a disservice to Speed Racer.  Dick Tracy was just as faithful to its source material, but came out as a soulless enterprise with cardboard cutout characters.  Not to say that Speed Racer is an acting tour de force, but many of the main characters have actual character arcs and meet the challenges head on (John Goodman in particular makes up for his terrible role in the awful The Flintstones with a really great, heartfelt performance).  I thought Speed was kind of a twat in the original anime, but rather liked his character here.  And Matthew Fox is just having fun with his turn as Racer X.  I think John Goodman and Susan Sarandon really sell this thing, though.  They know when to play it for real and when to ham it up.
PSP

Solo

« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2008, 01:22:32 AM »
Preach it, brother! I also felt the film was superbly directed and edited. People have said the middle act lulls, but I felt the entire thing was really briskly paced. TDK is the only other summer movie this year that will compete with this. And I fear an overhying/oversaturation of TDK, leading to disappointment if it isnt essentially flawless.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2008, 01:26:50 AM »
 :lol

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2008, 01:27:39 AM »
I really didn't feel restless, although I could see how kids might get turned off during the "talky" bits or where Speed reflects on coming full circle like his dearly departed brother.  It feels big and ambitious, which is something you simply do not see in family movies nowadays.  The Wachowski Bros. really work up to the Grand Prix, to the point where even if you don't know what a turbine or a piston is, you are simply enjoying the hell out of the moment.

I'm really looking forward to The Dark Knight and have high expectations, but unlike you, I'm staying as far away from spoiler sites, NeoGAF Bale mobs and early reviews as possible.  I'm trying to walk in with my own set of expectations and not anyone else's.
PSP

Solo

« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2008, 01:29:28 AM »
I actually wasnt referring to myself in terms of TDK, just (internet forum) people in general. They've hyped this shit over the moon. Personally I am rather indifferent. I enjoy BB but its got its flaws, and Ive never understood the worship it gets. The GAF thread will be hilarious if the movie is only average. Youd have to put most of them on suicide watch.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 01:31:37 AM by Solo »

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2008, 01:33:40 AM »
Yeah, but even if you hang around those groups of people (which you are - you created their damn altar of worship!), their expectations and spoilers rub off on you.
PSP

Solo

« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2008, 01:36:03 AM »
Indeed. Its funny that I created said thread as a joke and yet its become a beast of its own.  :lol

I am genuinely afraid of the mental state of several of the people who frequently post in it.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2008, 01:37:31 AM »
I've already read a mean spioler for TDK and now I stay clear from any and all threads about it.
:9