Author Topic: The Bore Anime & Manga Thread  (Read 317414 times)

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
Re: The Bore Anime & Manga Thread
« Reply #2220 on: March 06, 2010, 03:36:59 PM »
durarara is excellent

also GG stopped subbing it at 6 (translator/group drama?) and now its BSS subbing which is equally good
萌え~

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2221 on: March 06, 2010, 03:50:01 PM »
Yeah, Durarara! is pretty awesome. As is Baka to Test and Cobra the Animation.
dog

Himu

« Reply #2222 on: March 06, 2010, 03:55:55 PM »
I still can't believe there is going to be an anime that takes place during the Japanese occupation of Nanking. I told my wife about that and she was morbidly curious.
What is it called?
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2223 on: March 06, 2010, 04:15:28 PM »
I still can't believe there is going to be an anime that takes place during the Japanese occupation of Nanking. I told my wife about that and she was morbidly curious.
What is it called?

Senko no Night Raid
dog

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #2224 on: March 06, 2010, 04:39:57 PM »
People have suggested Jojo's to me before but...I've never read or seen any of it.

himu jojo has like seven story arcs,if you just need to pick a single one,just pick the third one,it's the one most known and the better one,and really you don't need to know much about the previous two
heck there is even a capcom fighting game about the third story arc

i agree with having to pick the third one since that's where the whole "Stand" comes from.

but read the first 2 to get an idea about some of the characters (such as the main enemy himself )

Junpei the Tracer!

• I started with Nightbright and ended with Comics
« Reply #2225 on: March 06, 2010, 05:35:46 PM »
sorry mcd

durarara is excellent

also GG stopped subbing it at 6 (translator/group drama?) and now its BSS subbing which is equally good

TRUST ME TRUST ME TRUST ME TRUST TRUST ME 

Boo

Himu

« Reply #2226 on: March 06, 2010, 05:44:46 PM »
Sorry but I'm a beginning to end guy.

It makes no sense skipping to the third arc. It'd be like skipping straight to Jinchuu arc when reading Kenshin.
IYKYK

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #2227 on: March 06, 2010, 07:15:51 PM »

It makes no sense skipping to the third arc. It'd be like skipping straight to Jinchuu arc when reading Kenshin.

thats good, read 1 and 2 also.

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #2228 on: March 06, 2010, 07:36:09 PM »
well it's not like the start is bad but as i said where it gets really good is at the third arc so don't complain in case
<----

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2229 on: March 06, 2010, 08:19:55 PM »

When they brought the series out in English, Viz Comics skipped right to the third arc for volume 1.   :lol

But I'd like to read JoJo's from the beginning myself.
ど助平

Purple Filth

« Reply #2230 on: March 06, 2010, 08:24:38 PM »

When they brought the series out in English, Viz Comics skipped right to the third arc for volume 1.   :lol

But I'd like to read JoJo's from the beginning myself.

they are around though.... if you want.

Bebpo

« Reply #2231 on: March 06, 2010, 08:27:35 PM »
Summer Wars got me back in the mood for some fun people anime.  Are there any good shows like Honey & Clover or Nodame in the last few years that are just about people hanging out?  I don't want any ecchi or harem stuff.  Just something like H&C or Bokura Ga Ita and not boring like Clannad. 

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #2232 on: March 06, 2010, 08:33:14 PM »
have you watched zetsubou? it's awesome,it has jokes about the dreamcast :spin
maybe excel saga? it's older than time itself but it's probably the most fucked up anime ever

anyway i guess while i'm here i could take some recomendetion too?
<----

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #2233 on: March 06, 2010, 08:35:01 PM »
try Natsume Yuujinchou and Kimi ni Todoke.

magus, what kind of recommendation you want?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2234 on: March 06, 2010, 08:35:12 PM »
Summer Wars got me back in the mood for some fun people anime.  Are there any good shows like Honey & Clover or Nodame in the last few years that are just about people hanging out?  I don't want any ecchi or harem stuff.  Just something like H&C or Bokura Ga Ita and not boring like Clannad. 

Try Hanamaru Kindergarten from the current season.  Pretty light-hearted stuff.
ど助平

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #2235 on: March 06, 2010, 08:43:56 PM »

mmm,no love stuff,i love comedies but it doesn't have to be a comedy,i hate filler episode (unless of course if you are a comedy,you really can't expect a plot in the first place) to the point to sound a little bit generic i'd say that if the plot gives me a reason to wonder "what happens next" then it's good... i mean while i'm still pissed at like a gazillion of things with umineko the fact that i still wants to know how it ends means it's good for me

« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 08:45:41 PM by magus »
<----

Bebpo

« Reply #2236 on: March 06, 2010, 08:44:15 PM »

Those look nice, will check them out, thanks.  Also people really seem to like Toradora.  I never watched it.  Is it worth checking out?  Looked like a loli show when it aired.

Try Hanamaru Kindergarten from the current season.  Pretty light-hearted stuff.

I googled the trailer for this and sometimes you really scare me, Lyte.

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #2237 on: March 06, 2010, 09:02:00 PM »
i readed a bit of the manga... it's a love comedy,not my kind of stuff
short summary
spoiler (click to show/hide)
everybody is scared of guy A because he has "gangster eyes" or something like that but in reality he's really a nice guy! guy A is in love with girl A,but he hasn't declared his love,one day he meets girl B who has the fame of being "the portable tiger" basicaly the kind of character who's always angry at everyone and everything,turns out that

- Girl B is in love with Guy B
- Guy A and Guy B are friends
- Girl A and Girl B are friends too

so basicaly Guy A and Girl B team up so that they can both find the way to declare their love,good lord love comedy are stupid stupid stupid stupid
[close]
basicaly now that i think about it,i think that "it's like school rumble" would be a pretty good comparison
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 09:06:49 PM by magus »
<----

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #2238 on: March 06, 2010, 09:03:05 PM »
toradora = tsundere love bullshit.

@magus

how about code geass? shit keeps you entertained in every episode with its twists, I'd go with that if you didn't watch it yet.

Bebpo

« Reply #2239 on: March 06, 2010, 09:23:27 PM »
yeah, toradora doesn't sound like anything I'd care about.  I wonder why it's so popular

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2240 on: March 06, 2010, 09:35:40 PM »

K-ON!  :-*
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2241 on: March 06, 2010, 09:36:03 PM »
Watch Hidamari Sketch, Bebpo.
dog

Junpei the Tracer!

« Reply #2242 on: March 06, 2010, 09:39:38 PM »

:lol

toradora really was some tsundere shit but it was nice.
Boo

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2243 on: March 06, 2010, 09:41:21 PM »
:lol
©@©™

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #2244 on: March 06, 2010, 10:26:16 PM »
you forgot Griffith 2 page spreads of doing nothing.

Bebpo

« Reply #2245 on: March 06, 2010, 10:40:57 PM »

Artstyle is too loli/chibi.  I'm looking for shows like Summer Wars. 

To me Summer Wars was suuuuuuper anime.  But it was the good kind of anime that isn't creepy to watch.  Honey & Clover, Nodame, East of Eden are a similar kind of style.  They have all the anime trappings, but they're about teens/young adults and their daily lives & relationships.  Humor is there, but it's not overkill slapstick.  Drama is there, but it's not overkill sappy.  It's just kind of a good mainstream show of anime.  That's what I'm looking for.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2246 on: March 07, 2010, 01:00:39 AM »

Artstyle is too loli/chibi.

That doesn't make it any less awesome though.

You might try Aria. It's not quite what you're looking for, but it's one of the best slice of life shows I've seen and it's at least not about little kids.
dog

cool breeze

« Reply #2247 on: March 07, 2010, 01:52:47 AM »
uh, have you seen Genshiken, bebpo?

I'm weary about recommending ookiku furikabutte because it didn't fly last time, but that is a baseball/slice of life anime.

Bebpo

« Reply #2248 on: March 07, 2010, 02:00:08 AM »

You might try Aria. It's not quite what you're looking for, but it's one of the best slice of life shows I've seen and it's at least not about little kids.

I tried Aria back in the day because the director was somebody legit, but the first ep or two were tremendously sleep-inducing boring.

I should get around to watching Genshiken.  I saw a few eps but never watched the whole thing.  Is the anime better than the manga?  I'd rather read it I think.  What about Welcome to NHK?  I never saw that but I remember it getting some buzz like Genshiken did.

Beezy

« Reply #2249 on: March 07, 2010, 02:03:11 AM »
Both of those are good, Bebpo. NHK doesn't really fit what you're looking for, but it's still good.

Himu

« Reply #2250 on: March 07, 2010, 02:03:46 AM »

I'm weary about recommending ookiku furikabutte because it didn't fly last time, but that is a baseball/slice of life anime.

I watched the first episode, didn't watch beyond that.
IYKYK

cool breeze

« Reply #2251 on: March 07, 2010, 02:13:12 AM »
Genshiken manga is probably better than the anime, actually.  Anime mostly just has updated fanservice, like Etrian Odyssey noises coming from the DS, them playing Guilty Gear, cosplay of more modern characters, etc.  Plus the anime isn't complete and skips a bunch of stuff in the second season.

as for NHK, it's a bit like satire on slice of life anime.  The anime and manga are different and I'd say check out both.  If you had to only follow one, go with the anime if only for this:
[youtube=560,345]l7asrTH3gII[/youtube]

I watched the first episode, didn't watch beyond that.

I KNOW FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2252 on: March 07, 2010, 02:15:51 AM »

I googled the trailer for this and sometimes you really scare me, Lyte.

:lol  Show me this trailer.  It's a light-hearted show animated by Gainax, about a guy that becomes a kindergarten teacher and his wacky kids.  There's nothing loli or any of that crap about it.  It's like Azumanga Daioh and Yotsuba in a lot of ways.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 02:20:31 AM by Good Day Sir »
ど助平

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #2253 on: March 07, 2010, 04:04:32 AM »
puru puru pururin

if you distinguished effete fellows are looking for recommendations on shit you missed its time of eve and kara no kyoukai

if you havent seen them, do so or kill yourself
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 04:09:22 AM by Viz »
萌え~

Purple Filth

« Reply #2254 on: March 07, 2010, 04:12:49 AM »
Genshiken manga is probably better than the anime, actually.  Anime mostly just has updated fanservice, like Etrian Odyssey noises coming from the DS, them playing Guilty Gear, cosplay of more modern characters, etc.  Plus the anime isn't complete and skips a bunch of stuff in the second season.

As much as i love the Genshiken anime and wish for a fucking third season, i agree on this 

Still awesome to watch though.

Junpei the Tracer!

« Reply #2255 on: March 07, 2010, 09:42:22 AM »
I just came across a new manga last night:

"Maria is a witch living during the Hundred Years' War between England and France. Our young heroine hates war, so to keep the people of the village she protects safe, Maria will use all the power at her disposal to stop the fighting, whether that means conjuring giant dragons or sending her succubus familiar out to mesmerize the warring generals with her charms. But what do the villagers think of her "help"? And what will happen if Heaven notices her interference into human affairs? This story has a funny touch with a little history thrown in"

It has the Archangel Michael and dragons. Unfortunately this is in the same magazine Teppu is in, so that mean waiting, lots of waiting.

http://www.mediafire.com/fbn
Boo

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #2256 on: March 07, 2010, 11:12:02 AM »

I tried Aria back in the day because the director was somebody legit, but the first ep or two were tremendously sleep-inducing boring.

I should get around to watching Genshiken.  I saw a few eps but never watched the whole thing.  Is the anime better than the manga?  I'd rather read it I think.  What about Welcome to NHK?  I never saw that but I remember it getting some buzz like Genshiken did.

yea welcome to nhk isn't what you would call a lighthearted slice of life comedy,there is humor but it's a bit more on the dark side,it's still incredibly awesome
<----

cool breeze

« Reply #2257 on: March 07, 2010, 12:06:53 PM »
On a whim I decided to just watch the first episode of Working because I was in the mood to watch some anime.  I think I was better off avoiding new anime  :-\

Bebpo

« Reply #2258 on: March 07, 2010, 01:37:09 PM »
Last night I went all "I'm 16 again!" and watched the first ep of a bunch of :uguuuuu anime like I did back in the day.

Kimi ni Todoke - Was ok.  With a more stylish director it could be great, but it's a bit vanilla plain.  Might check out another ep or two or maybe the manga instead.
K-On! - Was so :uguu but good.  A lot of parts had energy & great animation and were funny.  Pacing was a little slow, but otherwise was fun.  Will check out some more eps.
Baka test - Was terrible.  The jokes were sometimes funny, but the art is ugly and the summon battle shit is horrible.  I had to turn this off before it ended.
Natsume Yuujinchou - Best of the bunch.  Enjoyable show.  Art was good and the story is interesting.  Will watch the rest of this show.

Going to check out more ep1s tonight since I've been out of non-gundam tv anime for about 2-3 years now.  I have seen Time of Eve and that was nice.

I need to check if my favorite director Akitarou Daiichi (Kodomo no Omocha, Now & Then Here & There, Jubei-Chan, Fruits Basket, Bokura ga Ita) has done any shows lately.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 04:39:43 PM by Bebpo »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2259 on: March 07, 2010, 03:12:10 PM »
Baka test - Was terrible.  The jokes were sometimes funny, but the art is ugly and the summon battle shit is horrible.  I had to turn this off before it ended.

The first episode is okay, but it gets better as it goes. And the summon battle stuff usually comes up during the last minute and is most often used as a joke.
dog

Bebpo

« Reply #2260 on: March 07, 2010, 04:20:40 PM »
That's great, I'm not watching anymore.

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #2261 on: March 07, 2010, 04:27:47 PM »

Junpei the Tracer!

« Reply #2262 on: March 07, 2010, 04:48:23 PM »
I'm sorry babe  :(

You guys better read Junketsu no Maria.
Boo

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2263 on: March 07, 2010, 05:50:25 PM »

The first episode is okay, but it gets better as it goes. And the summon battle stuff usually comes up during the last minute and is most often used as a joke.

Yeah, sorry Rumbler...it's just you.  I do have a couple more episodes downloaded that I will try watching at some point.
ど助平

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2264 on: March 07, 2010, 08:02:03 PM »
I'm being serious here. The hater are JUST PLAIN WRONG. Like I said, first episode was okay, had some funny moments but kind of ditched them to have some tournament battles. The episodes after? The tournaments battles shoved to the back burner in favor of squeezing as many jokes out as they can. Some work, some don't, but there's more of the later than the former. Is it animu? YES, but it's actually far better than it has any right to be.

[close]

:patel
[close]
dog

Junpei the Tracer!

« Reply #2265 on: March 07, 2010, 08:17:02 PM »
Boo

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #2266 on: March 07, 2010, 11:14:53 PM »
I'm sorry babe  :(

You guys better read Junketsu no Maria.
it's ok hon.

Bebpo

« Reply #2267 on: March 08, 2010, 01:08:17 AM »
watched more ep1s

Natsume Yuujinchou - so it turns out that I had watched the first ep of of season 2 yesterday.  But it seemed just like a 1st ep of show so I couldn't even tell wtfff.  Stupid anime making "seasons" (that aren't actually called "season" but have like 1 word different in the title) now instead of just making EP27-52 like back in the day.  I you were watching ep27 you would not think it was the first ep!  Anyhow it was good.

Trapeze - Weird.  Which I'm ok with.  But I need to have some substance besides tripped out visuals and the first ep had all of 2 mins of actual story and the rest was 20 mins of tripping.  I respect what they're trying to do artistically, so even though I thought the ep was kinda meh I'll give it one more ep before I bail.

Bakemonogatari - I swear the Soul Taker director has been getting more and more overkill with his editing every show.  This show is like Michael Bay the anime with cuts every second.  Keeps it from being boring, but it's way overkill and just comes across as trying too hard.  Still, was really entertaining and looked nice and it had a chick with school instruments as deadly weapons which I approve of.  Will keep watching.

Aoi Hana - Wow, this is the best lesbian show I have seen!  The art is AMAZING and the animation is solid too.  Such a gorgeous show + the writing/directing was good and characters are likable.  Will continue to watch this as my slice-of-life-with-lesbians show.

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #2268 on: March 08, 2010, 01:29:49 AM »
bakemonogatari is super pretentious
萌え~

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #2269 on: March 08, 2010, 01:33:34 AM »
watched more ep1s

Natsume Yuujinchou - so it turns out that I had watched the first ep of of season 2 yesterday.  But it seemed just like a 1st ep of show so I couldn't even tell wtfff.  Stupid anime making "seasons" (that aren't actually called "season" but have like 1 word different in the title) now instead of just making EP27-52 like back in the day.  I you were watching ep27 you would not think it was the first ep!  Anyhow it was good.
at least you figured it out early lol, i watched whole season 2 and thought it was just one season.

in fact, i didn't watch the first season to this date, probably because season 2 hd animations spoiled me and tbh, show is episodic like Mushishi with a main story in an episode or two, not a big deal.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2270 on: March 08, 2010, 01:38:00 AM »
2-to-1 in favor of Baka To Test not being that great.  Sorry Rumbler, U LOSE.

[close]
ど助平

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2271 on: March 08, 2010, 10:26:40 AM »
2-to-1 in favor of Baka To Test not being that great.  Sorry Rumbler, U LOSE.

[close]

:fbm
dog

Bebpo

« Reply #2272 on: March 08, 2010, 07:57:17 PM »
So any other ep1s I should check out before moving onto the ep2s of stuff I liked?  Shows you guys recommend from 2008/2009/2010?

I just grabbed DTB2 ep1 & Kara no Kyoukai and saw Durarara!, Bakemonogatari, Natsume, Aoi Hana, Kuchuu Blanco, Kimi ni Todoke, K-On!, Baka Test.  I also think I'm going to give Black Lagoon another shot because I only saw ep1 when it aired and didn't like it so I didn't watch the rest.  I've seen Time of Eve, Michiko to Hatchin, Gundam OO, Mazinger Z (never finished Mazinger though because it was kinda slooooow), Kaiba, and I'm gonna read Genshiken & Welcome to NHK in manga form someday.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 07:58:57 PM by Bebpo »

« Reply #2273 on: March 08, 2010, 07:58:39 PM »
Eva 1.11 on Blu will be here tomorrow, and Gundam Unicorn on Blu-ray will be here Friday.

:rock
野球

Bebpo

« Reply #2274 on: March 08, 2010, 07:59:10 PM »
Eva 1.11 on Blu will be here tomorrow, and Gundam Unicorn on Blu-ray will be here Friday.

same :rock

« Reply #2275 on: March 08, 2010, 08:00:26 PM »

Us HD ro-bros know what's up.

野球

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #2276 on: March 08, 2010, 08:01:48 PM »
Add Sengoku Basara to the list and watch the rest of Black Lagoon, it's amazing.

and since you waited (or maybe not) to watch DTB2 might as well wait a month or two for the rest of the OVAs, season 2 really needed those.

Bebpo

« Reply #2277 on: March 08, 2010, 08:12:53 PM »
yeah I didn't wait.  I skipped DTB2 because it looked dumb!  But I figure I should at least give ep1 a chance at this point.
I did enjoy the OAV ep1 though and will watch the rest of the OAV.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2278 on: March 08, 2010, 08:13:58 PM »

©@©™

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #2279 on: March 08, 2010, 08:15:05 PM »

(just trying to see how long we can keep this up, I don't even own a blu-ray player)
PS4