Author Topic: The Bore Anime & Manga Thread  (Read 316153 times)

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
Re: The Bore Anime Thread
« Reply #180 on: July 22, 2008, 11:37:36 PM »
GTO has a weird ending.  I liked it though. 

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #181 on: July 22, 2008, 11:40:14 PM »
Im not too big on GTO. I bought the first set and got kinda bored with the formula 6 eps in
o_0

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #182 on: July 23, 2008, 12:05:07 AM »
Ya it would have been better as a 26 episode series.  That early on formula of making enemies into allies stops during the middle though.

cool breeze

« Reply #183 on: July 23, 2008, 12:06:04 AM »
I really liked the GTO anime ending.  Of the three endings for the series (Drama, Anime, Manga) I thought it was the best.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #184 on: July 23, 2008, 12:09:14 AM »
how did the other ones go?

is the drama worth watching?

cool breeze

« Reply #185 on: July 23, 2008, 12:20:55 AM »
I don't remember too much anymore, but...

Manga:
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Lots of crazy shit happens in the school where these chicks kung fu fight and beat up people.  I think at one point these girls were pissed off that the female teacher was hot and all the boys were jerking it to her.  It ended with Onizuka in a hospital bed after getting hurt, but then he revives or something after he hears that some chick was in a burning building or something.  At one point the nerdy math teacher also went wacko again.  It was stupid.
[close]

Drama:
Onizuka and his class lock themselves up in the school and all this chaos happens outside for some reason, then when others finally get in, they see that they planned a surprise festival.  Onizuka quits and you see him getting a new job at a new school.  That female teacher took a job as a flight attendant, but then Onizuka is in front of the airplane and carries her away to lose his virginity.  There is an SP after this that starts with Onizuka looking at his condom packaging implying they did have sex.  The SP is basically that blond older girl from the Anime's story, but with this random new girl from another school.  This ends with these girls asking him for favors.
[close]

The drama is worth it, but if you never seen a Japanese drama before, it is a bit daunting.  It is probably the cheesiest shit you have ever seen, but still funny in a way.

Junpei the Tracer!

• I started with Nightbright and ended with Comics
« Reply #186 on: July 24, 2008, 06:00:41 PM »
While my download for Xam'd EP.2 was initializing,my internet cut off. So,I got my internet back today and I went start it back it up but I couldn't find it. I contact Sony and they tell me it's gonna take 2-3 business days to retrieve my download. I fucking love Sony ^_^

Boo

MrAngryFace

« Reply #187 on: July 26, 2008, 01:33:56 AM »
New dual ep Xam'd torrent is available. Decent quality on both.
o_0

cool breeze

« Reply #188 on: July 26, 2008, 10:45:55 AM »
Yeah, the quality is quite good on those two.  I rented the first episode earlier this week and enjoyed it quite a bit.  Despite being floored by how amazing 1080p Anime is, I probably will only rent episodes with a lot of action from now on.  Just skimming through Episode 2 makes me think this is an episode worth renting.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #189 on: July 26, 2008, 11:55:24 AM »
I finally finished watching the uncut, non-dubbed version of Outlaw Star for the first and it is much better than I remembered it being. It came out around the same time as Cowboy Bebop and likely suffered because of that comparison. There are similarities between the two such as both being about band of odd-ball intergalactic bounty hunters who are often flat broke and both draw heavily from the Old West theme of frontier lawlessness. But it seems to me that Cowboy Bebop focuses more on its characters while Outlaw Star focuses more on space, the exploration of, and technology.

However, both are good shows in their own right and if you skipped Outlaw Star back when it first came out, you may want to give it another try.
dog

MrAngryFace

« Reply #190 on: July 26, 2008, 12:17:42 PM »
Ive seen a place with the full set, I should give it another go myself
o_0

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #191 on: July 27, 2008, 04:36:06 AM »
new code geass was kinda boring (going off the live stream)

C.C is so moe now, I fucking died. BUT THE LOVE OF PIZZA TRANSCENDS AMNESIA.
charles cockblocks lelouch, he goes into a rage, and backhands C.C. after he ducks away all pissed off. Animu women love abuse and now that she is moe she didnt seem to mind.
Also, Kallen beats the shit out of suzaku, lol, so I guess its even.

next episode looks action packed though.
[close]
萌え~

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #192 on: July 27, 2008, 05:31:20 AM »
There's a lot more to the GTO manga version's endings than what was said.  It's longer and more fulfilling; the anime version like most manga adaptions was cut short, with a rushed ending.
ど助平

Junpei the Tracer!

• I started with Nightbright and ended with Comics
« Reply #193 on: July 29, 2008, 11:16:45 PM »
Episode 3 of Xam'd is out!
Boo

MrAngryFace

« Reply #194 on: July 30, 2008, 01:24:00 AM »
sweeet`
o_0

« Reply #195 on: August 06, 2008, 07:50:38 PM »
Just finished episode 18 of Gurren Lagann. Bloody fantastic. The animation loses the goofy Gainax trademark nature once we hit
the seven-year time jump.
[close]
野球

MrAngryFace

« Reply #196 on: August 06, 2008, 08:41:12 PM »
Its ok so far, but I hate nia
o_0

« Reply #197 on: August 06, 2008, 09:14:09 PM »

Gurren Lagann is awesome so far. It's totally channeling all that has been awesome with Super Robot shows in the last 25 years.
野球

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #198 on: August 06, 2008, 09:57:52 PM »
I've been watching Oban: Star-Racer. It's an Euro-anime collaboration with the 2D animation and music done in Japan and the 3D animation done in France, I think. Usually that's a recipe for mediocrity, but it's surprisingly good. The series is about an intergalactic race, not unlike the one from The Phantom Menace, that will decide the fate of the universe.

The actual racing usually takes up less than half an episode, with the rest being used for character development and interaction and strange aliens/alien worlds. The 2D animation isn't really anything special, but it looks good enough. On the other hand, the 3D animation works really well in the series and definitely is the highlight in the respect. Overall, though, the series just looks good from an art stand point. The music is great too. The characters are all pretty well-rounded, although it does feature the prerequisite totally evil guy that is clearly bad for the sake of being bad.
dog

« Reply #199 on: August 06, 2008, 09:58:36 PM »
I've been watching Oban: Star-Racer. It's an Euro-anime collaboration with the 2D animation and music done in Japan and the 3D animation done in France, I think. Usually that's a recipe for mediocrity, but it's surprisingly good. The series is about an intergalactic race, not unlike the one from The Phantom Menace, that will decide the fate of the universe.

The actual racing usually takes up less than half an episode, with the rest being used for character development and interaction and strange aliens/alien worlds. The 2D animation isn't really anything special, but it looks good enough. On the other hand, the 3D animation works really well in the series and definitely is the highlight in the respect. Overall, though, the series just looks good from an art stand point. The music is great too. The characters are all pretty well-rounded, although it does feature the prerequisite totally evil guy that is clearly bad for the sake of being bad.

Yoko Kanno does the ED theme. I DVR'd an episode once so I could hear it.
野球

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #200 on: August 06, 2008, 10:43:34 PM »
She actually did the opening too. The rest of the music was done by Taku Iwasaki, who also did music for Gurren Lagann, Samurai X OVA, Soul Eater, Read or Die, Now and Then Here and There, and a few other things.
dog

cool breeze

« Reply #201 on: August 06, 2008, 10:46:32 PM »

I'm with you on that.  Nia made the show go from 100% manly fucking awesome to lame ass loli-pedo shit mixed in with the awesome manly stuff. 

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #202 on: August 06, 2008, 11:16:19 PM »
i finished the second volume, and i really miss the MANLY COMBINING :'(

duc

MrAngryFace

« Reply #203 on: August 07, 2008, 12:10:56 AM »
720p rips o Xam'd yummmm. I mean downloads from sony store not rips lol rite
o_0

MrAngryFace

« Reply #204 on: August 07, 2008, 12:12:12 AM »
Nia sux. I hater her character design, I hate her character, I hate her voice. I hate her role in the story so far. Its fucking stupid. Why cant dudes just fuck shit up?

Scryed sez HELLO I DONT NEED NO LOLI SHIT. WHEN WOMENZ TELL ME TO STOP FIGHTING I SAY SHUT UP!
o_0

« Reply #205 on: August 07, 2008, 12:40:45 AM »
i finished the second volume, and i really miss the MANLY COMBINING :'(

Why can't two dudes do some manly combining together and no one think anything of it?
野球

MrAngryFace

« Reply #206 on: August 07, 2008, 06:53:48 AM »

o_0

Tauntaun

• I'm cute, you should be too.
« Reply #208 on: August 07, 2008, 04:49:11 PM »
^ :rofl
:)

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #209 on: August 14, 2008, 06:33:58 AM »
death note ending sucked.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #210 on: August 14, 2008, 11:38:24 AM »
I've been watching the first season of Maria Watches Over Us.
dog

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #211 on: August 17, 2008, 05:21:32 PM »
watching bleach.

it's like, a next gen version of DBZ.

it's entertaining but way too many characters, can't keep up with all those japafaggy names.

Tucah

« Reply #212 on: August 17, 2008, 05:37:44 PM »
Been watching Gundam 00. I like it.

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #213 on: August 17, 2008, 05:38:51 PM »
Birdy the Mighty

Code Geass

Will check Naruto again since they have finally passed the shitty fillers, waiting for Gundam 00 season 2

jiji

« Reply #214 on: August 17, 2008, 05:48:05 PM »
I'm working on whole series that I've neglected to watch previously.

Finished:
GitS: SAC (season 1) (yum)
The Skull Man (kinda cool, some neat twists and turns, gets suuuuuper dark at the end)
Cowboy Bebop (yum)

Now watching: Key the Metal Idol.  I remember hearing about this back when I first got into anime, about eleven years ago, and I'm only just now watching it.  It seems like it could teeter into melodrama at any time, but there are some interesting/surprising things going on with the characters. 
OTL

MrAngryFace

« Reply #215 on: August 17, 2008, 05:49:40 PM »
Currently Watching:

Eureka Seven (again)
Gundam Seed
Slayers Revolution
Xam'd
Gurren Lagann
o_0

cool breeze

« Reply #216 on: August 17, 2008, 06:35:28 PM »
Gundam Seed is atrocious.  Worst Gundam series yet, and only made worse by how popular it is.

I have to watch more Xam'd, but I only rented the first 2 episodes and am gonna probably wait until it finishes, then wait for the blu-ray release or something.

I am probably going to start watching Baccano soon also.

MrAngryFace

« Reply #217 on: August 17, 2008, 06:39:18 PM »
Gundam Seed is fun enough, i've definitely come around to it again. We could nitpick, but after watching a good portion of Z Gundam, which has some awful issues 'U SAID MY NAME GIRL NAME?! *stomps gundam* HOW U LIK ME NOW?!'

Seriously, wtf. Lets not pretend most Gundam shows are high art. The only series i've considered good that captured the long-running 'gundam theme' was 08th MS Team.
o_0

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #218 on: August 17, 2008, 06:48:47 PM »
hmmm

I'm watching birdy the mighty decode since a group caught up the subs thankfully.
Its pretty fun and different.

Also code geass r2, which is almost over, it should end well. I look forward to some characters getting what they deserve, a painful death.
萌え~

cool breeze

« Reply #219 on: August 17, 2008, 07:01:56 PM »
Gundam Seed is fun enough, i've definitely come around to it again. We could nitpick, but after watching a good portion of Z Gundam, which has some awful issues 'U SAID MY NAME GIRL NAME?! *stomps gundam* HOW U LIK ME NOW?!'

Seriously, wtf. Lets not pretend most Gundam shows are high art. The only series i've considered good that captured the long-running 'gundam theme' was 08th MS Team.

Most Gundam shows aren't high art, but they are still better than Seed (and I include Seed Destiny as part of Seed).  And I still consider 0080 and Char's Counterattack to be the two best bits of Gundam media.

Gundam Seed was bad for a number of reasons, but I will go into just one of them for now:  The actual battles against all the Gundam were incredibly boring.  Super powerful Gundam with constant beam spamming and lasers everywhere is not fun to watch.

Actually, I will address two more problems:  Horrible mech and character designs.  The guy who did the characters is apparently the same guy who did Scryed, but some how between those two shows, s/he must have suffered head trauma which led s/he to create lame characters like Kira.  The mech designs themselves consisted of someone looking at the RX-78 and wondering how much stupid shit they could throw on it without it becoming a mobile armor.  It turns out that they could throw on a lot of stupid shit, and varied stupid shit at that.

The best thing to come out of that series are the enjoyable games for PS2 and PSP.  I surprise myself with how much I hate seed, because usually I am not hard to amuse.

MrAngryFace

« Reply #220 on: August 17, 2008, 08:56:32 PM »
This sounds more like 'taste' issues, which is interesting considering that assailing any of the story/theme issues would apply to pretty much every gundam show. Gu
o_0

cool breeze

« Reply #221 on: August 17, 2008, 09:09:59 PM »
I am willing to accept that.  As I said, I can't quite explain why I hate the series as much as I do, but I can't help it.

« Reply #222 on: August 17, 2008, 09:26:13 PM »
I don't have a problem with SEED, I thought it was a fun re-imagining of 0079. Some of the Gundam designs (I'm looking at you Forbidden, Calamity and Raider Gundams) are atrocious, though.

SEED Destiny, however, is a total mess. It started off with such promise before it collapsed on itself.
野球

MrAngryFace

« Reply #223 on: August 17, 2008, 09:44:58 PM »
Seed Destiny is fun if you realize how absurd it is and watch it from that PoV, but as gundam shows go its pretty bad.

Archangel command staff and flaga were awesome tho. Best part of the show.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 10:40:52 PM by Shell Beach »
o_0

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #224 on: August 18, 2008, 08:13:47 PM »
Just finished watching Macross Frontier episode 19. It was a boring talky episode, but it seems to be the calm before the storm, with multiple plot threads coming to a head in the last minutes of the episode. The president's chief of staff, who has spend the entire series so far looking really shift and talking cryptically, has now put out a hit on the president so he can take over, Vajra larva that have been secretly bred onboard the Frontier have just hatched out and are about to attack, and Ranka just walked in on Alto hugging Sheryl after he (apparently) found out that she was about to die. :omg

Macross Frontier. We know drama.
©@©™

Beezy

« Reply #225 on: August 18, 2008, 08:25:25 PM »
Seed Destiny is fun if you realize how absurd it is and watch it from that PoV
Too bad you can't see Code Geass the same way.

MrAngryFace

« Reply #226 on: August 18, 2008, 08:47:58 PM »
Code Geass has wayyyy too much moe crap
o_0

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #227 on: August 18, 2008, 08:54:50 PM »
lol what
萌え~

MrAngryFace

« Reply #228 on: August 18, 2008, 09:01:00 PM »
GREEN HAIRED GIRL EATEN HER PIZZA HUTZ IN JUST A SHIRT LOL WUT
o_0

APF

« Reply #229 on: August 18, 2008, 09:02:07 PM »
AFAICT I'm caught up with One Piece (364?)

Started watching Gurren Lagann; currently on ep 8.  It's kinda insipid but fun and has a definite momentum that pulls you along with it.

Also started on Kaiba, which is really interesting visually, but otherwise seems to be typical Japanese "provocative" by way of being deliberately obscure (which I kinda dig, but lack of fulfilling closure can get annoying).

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #230 on: August 18, 2008, 09:03:15 PM »
op is up to 365! you lose!

I AM STILL THE KING OF ONE PIECE NERDS

HEY HONEY HAVE SEX WITH ME WAIT WHAT ARE THESE LEGAL DOCUMENTS OH GOD YOU'RE PACKING
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 09:29:56 PM by Professor Prole »
duc

Beezy

« Reply #231 on: August 18, 2008, 09:07:09 PM »
I AM STILL THEN KING OF ONE PIECE NERDS
I beg to differ. >:(

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #232 on: August 18, 2008, 09:07:52 PM »
GREEN HAIRED GIRL EATEN HER PIZZA HUTZ IN JUST A SHIRT LOL WUT

that character, c.c. is a bitch

not moe
萌え~

APF

« Reply #233 on: August 18, 2008, 09:15:41 PM »

I AM STILL THEN KING OF ONE PIECE NERDS

HEY HONEY HAVE SEX WITH ME WAIT WHAT ARE THESE LEGAL DOCUMENTS OH GOD YOU'RE PACKING

Ha ha you're married and therefore have to care about your nerdliness.

:(
[close]

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #234 on: August 19, 2008, 09:38:48 AM »

That's where they are now?

I need to make some space for them then.

cool breeze

« Reply #235 on: August 20, 2008, 08:51:21 PM »
Macross F is all stupid love triangles and shit...it is getting really stale.

jiji

« Reply #236 on: August 20, 2008, 10:48:35 PM »
Key the Metal Idol. I've watched everything but the last feature-length episode. The first feature-length ep is a massive infodump on the show's backstory that plays out like a spoiler-filled Wikipedia article. The next ep will wrap things up.  The show has its problems - it's pretty contrived, and the villain is nowhere near human - but other characters have some surprisingly human aspects about them, and the show generally does a good job of showing instead of telling (that last ridiculous episode aside).  It's okay.

Next is Gundam 0083.
OTL

Tucah

« Reply #237 on: August 20, 2008, 11:13:00 PM »
Just watched the subbed episode of Detroit Metal City, I want more.

APF

« Reply #238 on: August 20, 2008, 11:17:54 PM »
Caught up with Prole.

Watched a couple of eps (they're like 3 mins each or something) of Chi's Sweet Home, which is sickeningly ... is there a word for cute + vomit? awwmit or something? Apparently I need something like this right now, it's lulling my brain into quiescence and I adore it.

« Reply #239 on: August 20, 2008, 11:25:12 PM »
Next is Gundam 0083.

Ah, the Top Gun of Gundam. Brainless fun that is overly convoluted and kind of fucks with U.C. continuity, but damn if it ain't pretty to look at.

MEN OF DESTINY!!!
野球