Author Topic: What book(s) are you reading?  (Read 667215 times)

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
Re: What book(s) are you reading?
« Reply #3660 on: August 13, 2022, 07:08:44 PM »
Dresden Files audiobooks are so damn good, but it takes 2.5 books for the series to hit its stride, then each book basically gets better than the previous one.

Bebpo

« Reply #3661 on: August 13, 2022, 07:33:32 PM »
Yeah, one of the anthologies I read had a novella that took place mid-series and it was pretty enjoyable. Would be down to check out the series. The length is really been the most daunting aspect of it with so many books.

I heard the audiobooks are the best way to blow through the first few books until it gets real good.

Bebpo

« Reply #3662 on: August 14, 2022, 01:26:09 AM »
Started listening to The Golden Compass. I thought this was a kids book but like it starts off with everyone having demon familiars and severed heads and like church is bad and idk seems pretty metal for a kids book.

I'm listening to the full cast recording and even though its unabridged, I'm starting to feel like for traditional novels I prefer just a normal audiobook with one narrator. When you have all these new characters talking with their own voice actors it's kind of hard to follow without the narration part you get from a traditional single narrator.

I had the same issue for one of the Sandman arcs in Act II where it jumped to a new setting with a bunch of new cast characters. I feel like with audio cast format it works better when you slowly introduce a character at a time. So you can recognize their voice and follow what's going on.

Bebpo

« Reply #3663 on: August 15, 2022, 07:29:31 PM »
The Northern Lights is...really good so far. I'm blowing through this faster than any audiobook before outside Gaiman's Graveyard Book.
It's a really well written fast paced adventure. Pretty cool. I keep expectations really low for YA, and this is far surpassing them.

Probably will skip the audiobooks and just read the physical books for book 2 & 3. The audiobook is fine, but I don't think it's really adding anything. And it just feels like it'd be more enjoyable to read on paper.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #3664 on: August 16, 2022, 04:50:15 AM »
Also the book is crazy sexist (a time period thing) and the whole book after the first 1/3rd in the castle is men trying to save the women and women talking about how men are just too amazing and wonderful and they do all this for little ole' women. What gallant individuals! Men so good, women pathetic and need men to do everything, etc.. etc...

Literally from the shit thread.

Bryce Dallas Howard on her Jurassic World experience and Chris Pratt:
"What I will say is that Chris and I have discussed it, and whenever there was an opportunity to move the needle on stuff that hadn't been already negotiated, like a game or a ride, he literally told me: 'You guys don't even have to do anything. I'm gonna do all the negotiating. We're gonna be paid the same, and you don't have to think about this, Bryce,'" shared Howard. "And I love him so much for doing that. I really do, because I've been paid more for those kinds of things than I ever was for the movie."

Is it really that sexist?

Anyways, was like 10 days in Scotland and picked up a bunch of books.

- A.E. Van Voght's Slan
- Arthur C. Clarks' Fountain's of Paradise
- Joe Abercrombie's Red Country and Sharp Ends
- First Expanse Book
- John Wyndham's Chocky
- Liu Cixin's Three Body Problem

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #3665 on: August 16, 2022, 05:51:09 AM »
I think my biggest issue besides nothing much happening in the back half is that compared to modern vampire stuff Dracula himself is nerfed af here. Yeah he can get in with some difficulty and suck some blood. And yeah he kills some old people and breaks Renfield's back off-screen. But when he actually is confronted he just runs away like a scaredy cat and is a total pushover, which feels weird coming from more modern vampire stuff where Dracula is a badass mofo.
When you're immortal, what is more precious than your life/undeath? To me, it's more unrealistic that an immortal creature would stand and fight and risk being destroyed.
Spud

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #3666 on: August 16, 2022, 05:52:37 AM »
Also the book is crazy sexist (a time period thing) and the whole book after the first 1/3rd in the castle is men trying to save the women and women talking about how men are just too amazing and wonderful and they do all this for little ole' women. What gallant individuals! Men so good, women pathetic and need men to do everything, etc.. etc...

Literally from the shit thread.

Bryce Dallas Howard on her Jurassic World experience and Chris Pratt:
"What I will say is that Chris and I have discussed it, and whenever there was an opportunity to move the needle on stuff that hadn't been already negotiated, like a game or a ride, he literally told me: 'You guys don't even have to do anything. I'm gonna do all the negotiating. We're gonna be paid the same, and you don't have to think about this, Bryce,'" shared Howard. "And I love him so much for doing that. I really do, because I've been paid more for those kinds of things than I ever was for the movie."

Is it really that sexist?

Anyways, was like 10 days in Scotland and picked up a bunch of books.

- A.E. Van Voght's Slan
- Arthur C. Clarks' Fountain's of Paradise
- Joe Abercrombie's Red Country and Sharp Ends
- First Expanse Book
- John Wyndham's Chocky
- Liu Cixin's Three Body Problem
Big fan of The Expanse series (books and TV).
I found the Three Body Problem boring.

I just started Network Effect by Martha Wells. I love Murderbot.

Spud

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3667 on: August 17, 2022, 05:08:25 PM »
MURDERBOT is very good. I think I'm on book 3. Need moar.

Started listening to The Golden Compass. I thought this was a kids book but like it starts off with everyone having demon familiars and severed heads and like church is bad and idk seems pretty metal for a kids book.

I'm listening to the full cast recording and even though its unabridged, I'm starting to feel like for traditional novels I prefer just a normal audiobook with one narrator. When you have all these new characters talking with their own voice actors it's kind of hard to follow without the narration part you get from a traditional single narrator.

I had the same issue for one of the Sandman arcs in Act II where it jumped to a new setting with a bunch of new cast characters. I feel like with audio cast format it works better when you slowly introduce a character at a time. So you can recognize their voice and follow what's going on.

Northern Lights is fantastic. The first book is the best, but the rest are very good, and the finale is surprising and satisfying. Great stuff.

archnemesis

« Reply #3668 on: August 18, 2022, 02:25:51 AM »
I'm also a big fan of Murderbot having read the first four books earlier this year. The later books are a lot thicker so it'll be a while before I pick them up. Now I have a large stack of other things I want to read first.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #3669 on: August 18, 2022, 02:49:09 AM »
Yeah, I took my time between book 4 and 5 for that very reason. I really like novella length, especially for something like Murderbot. I'm actually quite worried that over a longer novel, Murderbot the character might be quite annoying.
Spud

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #3670 on: August 18, 2022, 03:59:01 AM »
Finished John Wyndham's Chocky.

It still holds up. It's like Stand on Zanzibar, but instead of talking about overpopulation, it focuses on how wasteful people are with their resources. It's always fun when these old ass books call out things we're dealing with now. (Overpopulation and wasting of natural resources.)

These might've actually aged like fine wine. Reading Albert Camus' The Plague during the height of the Covid pandemic was also an amazing experience. You could easily transpose the fronts that formed in the book with those that formed in real life.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #3671 on: August 18, 2022, 09:24:25 AM »
I get that Wang and Dong are like regular chinese names but it's kinda distracting in Three-Body Problem. "Professor Dong"

Who's next? Chung Kee Ho and Fat Kok?

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #3672 on: August 18, 2022, 04:13:39 PM »
I get that Wang and Dong are like regular chinese names but it's kinda distracting in Three-Body Problem. "Professor Dong"

The two brothers Hung Phat and Hung Long took me right out of it  :doge
Spud

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3673 on: August 18, 2022, 05:29:26 PM »

The two brothers Hung Phat and Hung Long took me right out of it  :doge

:dead

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3674 on: August 18, 2022, 11:15:36 PM »
Pines, #1 of Wayward Pines was good.  Very much Twin Peaks inspired. 

Bebpo

« Reply #3675 on: August 19, 2022, 02:04:06 AM »
Finished Mort

Pretty fun book. Story itself wasn't great, but was an enjoyable read with frequent good bits. Short, funny, just a good quick comfort reading book.

Makes me want to give going through the whole series another shot. I really didn't enjoy Book #1 - The Colour of Magic. I remember skimming a wikipedia summary of Book #2 The Light Fantastic afterwards which is the 2nd part to the Rincewind story and it didn't sound too interesting. Don't remember anything at all from either. I just remember it didn't read well. Now three books later and Mort read fine and by Men at Arms, which I also read and is like book #12 or something, Pratchett's writing was great.

I could give book #2 a shot, but probably wouldn't like it and get burnt off the series again.
I could skip book #2 and try book #3 Equal Rites which is the witch subseries. But I also hear the books didn't start getting good until Mort at book #4 so that one might burn me as well.
I could read book #5 Sourcery next I guess? Back to Rincewind but maybe actually good this time?

Idk. The Night's Watch seems like the best sub-series, so I could just read those maybe. And maybe the other Death sub-series books.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #3676 on: August 19, 2022, 02:54:49 AM »
I am 22 books in to my first Discworld read through (I'm going chronologically) and the City Watch and Witches are by far the best characters.

I thoroughly enjoyed Guards! Guards! which is the first in the City Watch books and is essential reading to understand the interpersonal relationships. They just get better as the characters become like old friends.

The Witches books are just great because Nanny Ogg and Granny Weatherwax are two of the best characters ever created. Equal Rites is fun and gives you good background, but Wyrd Sisters and Witches Abroad are hilarious and heartwarming and sharp.

Small Gods is a personal favourite and easy to read as a one-off.
Spud

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #3677 on: August 19, 2022, 03:38:12 AM »
Pyramids is also a fun standalone to read. Imagine a story set in ancient Egypt but then crossed with quantum mechanics.

Bebpo

« Reply #3678 on: August 21, 2022, 11:08:18 PM »
Finished The Northern Lights audiobook. It was great! Like I felt the first half and its world building and mysteries was stronger than the back half adventure but there was good stuff in there like the WAR BEARS stuff. Ending destination you could see from a mile away but was a fine cliffhanger ending.

The only thing that kinda bugged me was how Lyra keeps getting kidnapped so like the plot moves forward and then whoops separated from everyone and has to escape again and again.

I'm interested in checking out the HBO series adaptation, though I've heard mixed on S1 which covers this. I can't imagine a TV show having a budget to do this properly. Though I looked at the cast and Lin-Manual Miranda as the Texan hot balloon guy seems like fun casting that I'd enjoy.

Will jump into book 2, but probably listen to/read some other stuff for a bit first.

At this point I've started a bunch of series jumping from book 1 of one series to another:

Discworld - 3 of 41 books down
Skyward - 1 book of 3 + novella down
Wheel of Time - 1 book of like 13 down
Scythe - 1 book of 3 down
Northern Lights - 1 book of 3 down
First Law stuff - 3 books of like 9 down

Probably gonna finish some of those before starting Dresden files or anything else. I picked up Discworld book #2 and I started re-reading book #1 since it's a direct sequel and despite only reading book #1 two years ago in 2020 I didn't remember anything from it and I'm reading at skim speed and already halfway through so will just take another day or two and then probably read The Light Fantastic next since these are short books.

Also re-reading book #1 of discworld after Mort, which was only written 4 years later, it's crazy how like Death is a completely different character in book #1. He's kind of a dick going around killing things including taking off one of a cat's lives for fun whereas by book #4 he loves cats and saves them. I heard Pratchett was figuring out discworld for the first bunch of books and it doesn't really get book to book consistent with the characters/world until Guards Guards Guards at book #7, which is fine. It's just kind of weird.

I am enjoying this re-read of book #1 much more, having read some better Discworld and having a frame of reference vs going into this as my first Discworld book. I think book #1 loses steam after the initial 1/3rd in the city with Rincewind and Twoflower and the whole place burning up because insurance lol, the whole jumping from episodic adventures after is a lot less engaging but it's fine skimming it. I do like the idea of it where gods are playing D&D which is the background cause of stuff happening one after another. It's clever and fun. It's just the happening stuff is kinda zzz.

I heard book #2 drops the episodic nature and is just a singular focused tale so I think I'll enjoy it.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3679 on: August 22, 2022, 06:00:30 PM »

archnemesis

« Reply #3680 on: August 23, 2022, 05:21:27 AM »
I'd love to read physical copies of some of those books. I've noticed that I rarely read more than a page of digital books. Neither my Kindle or the digital subscription of Edge gaming magazine are used.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3681 on: August 23, 2022, 08:50:56 AM »
I'm the complete opposite, it's so much easier to read on kindle that I read way more because of it.  I like the aesthetics of real books but will never go back. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3682 on: August 23, 2022, 12:00:45 PM »
Tor giving away book 5 of Mistborn.  Book 4 was a bit ago.  Guessing we will also get 6 in preperation for book 7.

Bebpo

« Reply #3683 on: August 24, 2022, 08:38:32 PM »
Listening to Hammet's Red Harvest and it's pretty fun. Real easy to listen to with it being almost entirely dialogue back and forths.

Things about that slang that have stuck out so far from books 100 years ago:

-They call guys pretty a lot. Kind of interesting that pretty was not feminine back then.
-The main gumshoe is a badass mofo at 5'6", the average height has really increased in 100 years. I missed my time to shine at 5'5".

Also I finished my re-read of Discworld Book #1 The Colour of Magic and yeah it's a book that is kind of not great. The first 1/3rd is fine, but once they leave Ankh-Morpork and go on their episodic adventures it just gets worse and worse and the continuity between episodic adventures is almost nil. The cave with Hrun is fine but then suddenly there's imaginary dragons and suddenly they're in the middle of the sea and sacrifice island and it's like what?? Found it pretty confusing even in this re-read. Like it would just jump from one spot to another between episodic parts.

Plus Rincewind isn't that interesting other than saying "YAR?" a lot. And Death is not.my.discworld.death.

Anyhow started on The Light Fantastic last night. Will see how it fares.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2022, 11:48:25 PM by Bebpo »

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #3684 on: August 24, 2022, 09:11:06 PM »
Stick with it. Discworld is  :aah
Spud

Bebpo

« Reply #3685 on: August 26, 2022, 02:52:51 AM »
The Light Fantastic is the only book where each night I pick it back up and each time I have no idea of what's going on and I have to go back a page or two to try to remember.

Like a quarter through now,

Rincewind/Twoflower are still very uncompelling as are all the minor characters. The only good character subplot so far is this old wizard at the university and his apprentice who keeps trying to murder him. That's great and kind of better than anything else going on in the book so far.

Also a little annoyed that it goes from the characters falling off the discworld and going into space at the end of book #1 which would've been an interesting place to pick up from in book #2, to retconning all that and just being in a boring forest (except for the talking trees) and I guess this book is just about everyone chasing Rincewind or something to get the spell that's in his head.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #3686 on: August 26, 2022, 02:59:16 AM »
The Light Fantastic is the only book where each night I pick it back up and each time I have no idea of what's going on and I have to go back a page or two to try to remember.

Rincewind/Twoflower are still very uncompelling as are all the minor characters. The only good character subplot so far is this old wizard at the university and his apprentice who keeps trying to murder him. That's great and kind of better than anything else going on in the book so far.

Also a little annoyed that it goes from the characters falling off the discworld and going into space at the end of book #1 which would've been an interesting place to pick up from in book #2, to retconning all that and just being in a boring forest (except for the talking trees) and I guess this book is just about everyone chasing Rincewind or something to get the spell that's in his head.
Cohen the Barbarian though...
Spud

Bebpo

« Reply #3687 on: August 26, 2022, 03:01:46 AM »

He's had like one scene so far. No opinion on him yet.

Also these books don't have chapters which structurally bugs me. It just keeps going and going and going in a ramble jumping scenes between paragraphs and back.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #3688 on: August 26, 2022, 03:06:31 AM »

He's had like one scene so far. No opinion on him yet.

Also these books don't have chapters which structurally bugs me. It just keeps going and going and going in a ramble jumping scenes between paragraphs and back.
That's probably my biggest complaint about Pratchett
Spud

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #3689 on: August 26, 2022, 04:39:45 AM »
I thought the three asterisks denoted the end of a scene/chapter. It's how I've been reading these for years.

Bebpo

« Reply #3690 on: August 26, 2022, 05:58:44 PM »
So Cohen's schtick is just that he's old? Ehhhhhh...

I like the Night Watch, I like Death, still kinda feel meh on everyone else I've met in Discworld at this point.

I thought the three asterisks denoted the end of a scene/chapter. It's how I've been reading these for years.

I think so but you only see one of those every blue moon. Also don't remember if he started doing that later on. I remember that in Mort, but here in book #2 almost halfway now and I can't remember seeing it in this book.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #3691 on: August 27, 2022, 03:56:49 AM »
I flipped through The Light Fantastic and the longest without the asterisks is the final chapter at 70 pages. Second longest is like 40 pages and most of em are like 15 to 20 pages. Maybe you're reading a digital copy that got rid of a bunch of them?

Bebpo

« Reply #3692 on: August 30, 2022, 04:14:13 AM »
Finished The Light Fantastic. That was...pretty good. The first third or even half suffers from a similar problem with the back half of Colour of Magic in that it starts out with all these vignettes jumping from scene to scene and while some bits are good like the talking trees, a lot of it are just kind of eh (gingerbread house, druids) and the continuity doesn't flow that well making it hard to stay engaged when the scenes keep changing every few minutes.

But once the party with Cohen gets together and it's basically a single PoV narrative for the entire back half...it reads well and is a lot of fun and I'd say it's a better story than Mort. The luggage is the MVP best character for sure. Death & Luggage are my two favorite discworld characters at this point.

I thought the very end was a slight dip down in that Rincewind who is a total coward irritable person the whole two books suddenly becomes like a hero and wins a fight and says a bunch of hero stuff in the finale which felt out of character. Mort had the same issue where Mort was a weird autistic kid but then becomes a total out of character protagonist for the finale in the final fight. I feel like Pratchett, at least in these early books (I can't remember how Men at Arms ended), had some difficulty balancing his non-traditional goofy characters while also trying to have more traditional "hero fights at the end and wins and is a cool winner" fantasy tropes because it just feels like the characters suddenly become out of character in these finales. These uncool but enjoyable characters shouldn't be cool in the end, they should just win in an uncool and in character way.

Otherwise the back half was great. Overall it's a good book and 200% improvement over book #1.

Will be interesting to see what book #3 Equal Rites is like. At this point I've read at least one book from each the main discworld sub-series except the witches. I don't know anything about them since they haven't really appeared in the other books I've read. Going in blind here. Going to read that next and then will take a discworld break since I'll be done with #1-#4 before I read #5 Sourcery at some point in the future.

I flipped through The Light Fantastic and the longest without the asterisks is the final chapter at 70 pages. Second longest is like 40 pages and most of em are like 15 to 20 pages. Maybe you're reading a digital copy that got rid of a bunch of them?

Yeah, I noticed them when I started looking, though what a chapter signifies vs just a paragraph break in this book, who knows.

Bebpo

« Reply #3693 on: August 30, 2022, 04:56:57 AM »
Started reading Equal Rites.

That was a legit really good opening.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #3694 on: August 30, 2022, 05:24:29 AM »
Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg are legit two of the best characters in fiction.

The interplay between them is unbelievably funny and pretty much everyone can find some trace of one of their own grandmothers between the two of them.

Very slight spoiler for Equal Rites
Headology is pretty much the best magic system ever devised as well
[close]
Spud

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #3695 on: September 02, 2022, 10:11:03 AM »
The Three-Body Problem was good.  I'm a sucker for hard sci-fi. It's obvious that Liu Cixin is a sucker for old hard sci-fi as well. Hope the next two books in the trilogy hold up to the same standard.

I started reading Arthur C. Clarke's Fountains of Paradise straight after and it's funny to see parts of that story that were echoed in The Three-Body Problem.

Bebpo

« Reply #3696 on: September 07, 2022, 12:01:42 AM »
I'm probably finishing Equal Rites tonight and so I went to buy Discworld #5 Sourcery and Discworld #6 The Wyrd Sisters and Discworld #7 Pyramids for when I get around to this series again and given all the years and repressings of certain books the covers are kind of an incoherent stylistic mess.

From Pratchett's own website:

Right now I have books 1-4 and book 8 - Guards guards guards all in that same one color simplified style (not sure why they aren't showing 1-3 in that style in this image). Doesn't look like there was a version of Sourcery done in that style though.

Bebpo

« Reply #3697 on: September 07, 2022, 12:03:35 AM »

Bebpo

« Reply #3698 on: September 07, 2022, 12:05:14 AM »
https://discworld.com/products/paperbacks/

I see. Looks like a bunch of books were just re-released this year with that new Harry Potter-esque style (blargh). But doesn't seem like there was a pressing of Sourcery prior to that besides the original cover.

Bebpo

« Reply #3699 on: September 07, 2022, 12:07:49 AM »

Looks like Wyrd Sisters did get a release in the style that I have 2-4/8 in. But it's out of print and Sourcery and Pyramids don't appear to have gotten a release in this style.

Bebpo

« Reply #3700 on: September 07, 2022, 12:27:08 AM »
https://www.discworldemporium.com/product/discworld-collector-s-library-the-complete-collection/

Dang, those are nice covers. Ain't paying that though lol.

Fuck it. I calculated buying the rest of the series a book at a time over the years in paperbacks and at $15 after tax per book, it comes to like $500 for the rest of the series if I stick with it. Given the current UK/Dollar rate, even after 90 Euro shipping, it's still like a bit over $600 USD. So like $100 premium for nice hardcovers of the series instead of ugly paperbacks that have no coherence.

Guess this is my birthday present to myself. Sure hope I stick with the series and eventually read them all at this price.

*edit* actually nothing in the world seems to give you the exact USD/Euro exchange rate exactly :(  Still came out to $718 USD running it through the cheapest method. Most expensive books I will have every bought. But it is forty hardcover books, so it still comes down to $17.95 each which is pretty normal price. Just a lot when it's at the same time...Also this is going to be one heavy fucking package.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2022, 12:33:01 AM by Bebpo »

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #3701 on: September 07, 2022, 04:23:26 AM »
https://imgur.com/a/vHzNN

This is a collection of the original covers. The first 26 books were done by Josh Kirby. He passed away, so they had to get a new illustrator.

From those books on Paul Kidby was the one doing the cover arts.

Those you got are mostly American reprints I'm guessing. Americans probably think the old style is too wacky or something.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #3702 on: September 07, 2022, 05:45:23 AM »
Kirby covers are the only ones to get honestly.
Spud

Bebpo

« Reply #3703 on: September 07, 2022, 01:24:13 PM »
I respect the original Kirby covers and the highly detailed satirical takes on the 70s/80s fantasy book covers with muscled men and half naked women and dragons. It's good art and fits.

But it's just not a aesthetic I've ever been into. I find those old fantasy book covers its satirizing gross looking. The art in that hardcover set I'm getting appeals more to my "aesthetic art to have on the shelfs" side.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3704 on: September 07, 2022, 07:29:59 PM »
Wayward Pines trilogy was decent. 

Bebpo

« Reply #3705 on: September 08, 2022, 03:37:27 AM »
Ok, finished Discworld #3 - Equal Rites

Fun book. The opening is really strong and gandalf-y and the ending stuff with Granny Weatherwax and the University head Cutangle is fantastic. Esk is a good lead character and lots of funny little escapades throughout. The story is pretty short, it's basically "here is the situation -> journey to university -> finale", but it's enjoyable. Would make a fun animated movie.

I actually looked up movie/tv adaptations after this. I had thought that nothing discworld had ever made it to tv/movie, which seemed weird as some of the books like this and Mort would be fun little movies. But then I discovered that there actually were a handful of animated adaptations and Colour of Magic/Light Fantastic got a 2008 live-action one with Tim Curry? And people seem generally thumbs up on it?

I think I'm gonna watch that adaptation soon. Seems like it'd be a fun curiosity.

I liked The Light Fantastic, Equal Rites and Mort all about the same? Good 3/4 star enjoyable romps. Equal Rites/Mort being better plotted but I think the back half of Light Fantastic might be the strongest. Tough to pick the best of those. All good reads.

---
Also finished listening to the audiobook of Hammet's Red Harvest.

Good popcorn book. Like it reads very pulpy and has lots of snappy dialogue. The main detective guy The Continental Operative's deadpan can be enjoyable. You can see the influences it had on the whole hard boiled fiction/noir genre and I liked that the book has a few mystery who dunnits throughout the plot.

That said, the main OP is so lacking any emotion/empathy he's just kind of a terrible person? Like he doesn't react a single time to anyone he knows dying and consistently sets people up to be brutally murdered to accomplish his goals. Also the second half of the book is this gang war which is so incredibly rushed where like 90% of the characters from the first half are killed off-page. You go from a meeting to the next page where half of them are dead. Part of it I assume had to do with print standards and not being able to do graphic deaths on the page, but it's also the pulpy side of not getting to deep into any of the characterization style which just makes it all feel very rushed and lack proper depth.

But it's fun popcorn entertainment and I enjoyed it. There's a scene in Miller's Crossing which is literally a word for word recreation of a random scene in the book where a gang throws dynamite into a base with opposing gang members and after the explosions someone says "don't shoot, I'm coming out" and he stumbles out and stands for a sec and then the other gang just shoots him and laughs and it's just sorta a scene of a thing that happens during a gang war.

I wouldn't mind reading/listening to another Hammett or some Chandler down the line, but that was kind of enough for me. I think I'll start on the Northern Lights book #2 audiobook for next listen.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2022, 03:45:36 AM by Bebpo »

Bebpo

« Reply #3706 on: September 10, 2022, 03:01:06 AM »
Watched the Colour of Magic and Light Fantastic TV movies tonight. They were...pretty good! Like outside being budget TV and some just ok directing, the writing was good and the acting was great. Worked pretty well! My only gripe is for The Light Fantastic they cut a lot of parts I really liked in the book like the talking trees and troll forest and suitcase as more of a character, but they nailed the Cohen the Barbarian stuff and got the gist of the story at a brisk pace.

Definitely reinforced that The Light Fantastic is a good story.

Now I wish they did adaptations of Equal Rites and Mort. I saw the Disney directors that did The Princess and The Frog wanted to do Mort as their next film but they couldn't obtain the rights which seems crazy. I feel like if they did Mort these days it should be a CG film in that stop-motion style Kubo and the Two Strings.

Oh and I liked how for these TV movies they did Death just as a guy in a halloween store costume with Christopher Lee doing the voiceovers. Was great!

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3707 on: September 10, 2022, 04:01:14 PM »
Elder Race by Adrian Tchaikovsky was a very wonderful and charming novella.  I would highly recommend it. 

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #3708 on: September 10, 2022, 10:49:09 PM »

Jesse Singal spreads a bunch of malicious lies about Proven Science™ just because no published science or research supports any of them. Good book to get the names of a bunch of horrible monsters who demand absurd things like evidence instead of just supporting objectively Good Things. Who cares if power posing doesn't work and one of the lead authors openly says they don't think any evidence supports it? It makes some people feel better so why ruin it JESSE? Who cares if implicit bias studies aren't supported by anything, it FEELS true and shouldn't we address THAT? JESSE never says why addressing these issues aren't important just because nobody can prove they're real, he simply implies we should focus only on real things. FUCK OFF JESSE! WHY ARE YOU THE WAY THAT YOU ARE?

Very interesting topic in a very uninteresting book. Felt like I've been reading this forever but it's only 450 pages long. It's not academic writing, not bad academic writing, just bad writing. Dude does that thing where you post a graph then spend three pages describing everything about it. My dude I understood LINE GOES UP THEN STOPS GOING UP when I saw it! Lots of paragraphs being repeated constantly every time some near topic comes up. Covers all kinds of different aspects not just ebooks but audiobooks, Kickstarter, etc. The guy is mostly fair throughout the book until the end when he gets to his real problem which is Amazon. He has no real specific complaints about anything Amazon does (except he doesn't like that they sell things that are not books), his complaint is really that Amazon is too successful in general and took successful at giving customers what they want. He laments that people don't "browse the stacks" of Amazon like they would a physical bookstore, but I'm not sure many people would do that before anyway. He also seems to think we should be proud of his refusal to sign up for Amazon Prime. The weirdest part of this to me is that the rest of his book actually kind of cuts against his Amazon complaints because he spends much of his book delving into all the many non-Amazon things in book publishing out there including lots of other successful companies. I'm not sure that Amazon's dominance of the physical book retail space and Amazon's own exclusivity requirements on books they themselves publish do much to threaten the entire book industry as he surmises at the end. He worries that Amazon's ability to collect customer data is a huge problem but he never actually explains why he thinks this and especially never explains why he thinks this will be bad for books. He just seems to think that general data complaints are obviously also somehow a potential problem with books too. The main thing he articulates here is the same thing he articulated with the "browse the stacks" complaint, that most people probably just look at recommendations and "other users also bought with" rather than pouring through the millions of books. He concludes that the government needs to break up Amazon, Google and Facebook into multiple competitors to protect the book industry which doesn't make any sense to me.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3709 on: September 13, 2022, 03:28:36 PM »
mistborn 6 free on tor

Bebpo

« Reply #3710 on: September 13, 2022, 04:30:57 PM »
mistborn 6 free on tor

Bands of Mourning is my favorite book in this series. Not sure how well it would stand without all the background, but it's a great swashbuckling Indiana Jones adventure in a steampunk world. Some really funny bits, and an overall great fun story.

I'd probably recommend this to people who don't read Sanderson or Mistborn and aren't particularly interested in doing either in the future as just a standalone book if they want the closest thing to an Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade book.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3711 on: September 13, 2022, 05:57:11 PM »
because I just read this and you said the word swashbuckling  https://twitter.com/dtmooreeditor/status/1569366666844192769

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #3712 on: September 13, 2022, 08:15:47 PM »
because I just read this and you said the word swashbuckling  https://twitter.com/dtmooreeditor/status/1569366666844192769
Sometimes, just sometimes, Twitter is actually awesome
Spud

Bebpo

« Reply #3713 on: September 13, 2022, 11:34:08 PM »
I'm a couple hours into His Dark Materials Book #2 - The Subtle Knife and again I'm pleasantly pleased by how fucking metal this series is.

I feel like YA is a post-2000s thing. When I was in school in the 90s I never heard the term YA. It wasn't until anime was big in the 2000s that it felt like Shounen/Shoujo created a "YA" classification in the western world.

Like yeah, maybe this falls into YA category if you retro-actively place it in that the main character is a teen, but at the same time I don't think when Pullman wrote this he was thinking "I'm writing a YA book" and kept within the modern YA restraints. It just feels like he was writing a story.

I mean Wheel of Time isn't YA, but this is about as dark and serious as WoT (but way more fun).

Book #2 opens with a dude getting his neck broken and then a torture scene with a mercy killing of the tortured with a knife through their heart. You've got dead kids in this series. And then you've got Lord Azreal being a metal ass jrpg dude with his goal

spoiler (click to show/hide)
of finding and killing god
[close]

:punch

This series is cool. I'd like to think HBO being HBO means that the latest adaptation isn't toning any of this down.

Bebpo

« Reply #3714 on: September 14, 2022, 02:09:12 PM »
My discworld books came today. They're nice but a lot smaller than I expected. I thought by hardcovers and at the prices they are (USA Hardcover price basically) they'd be USA hardcover big size books, but they're like pocket diary size / mass market paperback sized little tiny books with nice hardcovers.

At least that'll make them easier to find room to put them on a bookshelf. Nice to have the whole series (minus book #27 The Last Hero) in a matching aesthetic format. Though I do wish the books had a book # to tell the release order without having to look it up.

Bebpo

« Reply #3715 on: September 20, 2022, 05:19:14 PM »
I'd been reading Brandon Sanderson's sci-fi YA Skyward #2 - Starsight this last week and it's was ok -> good -> fuck, I can't put down. Sanderson really is good at his last 100-200 page finales. I tried stopping instead of staying up super late and sleeping and then I slept terrible because I was so hyped up about the finale. So basically no point, might as well just read until 3am when finishing these.

Gonna finish it tonight and go directly to reading the 3-volume Skyward Flight novella series he put out co-written with Janci Patterson that comes after this and before Skyward #3.

Probably save Skyward #3 for next year so I can still remember what's going on by the time the final book Skyward #4 is out. I had some trouble with getting into Starsight early on in that I'd forgotten a lot of the characters since I read book #1 a year or so ago.

Bebpo

« Reply #3716 on: September 21, 2022, 04:36:09 AM »
Ok, yeah, finished Starsight. Good book, that finale was long.

My biggest complaint with Skyward at this point is I feel like Sanderson's Cosmere stuff is pretty original whereas Skyward #1 was basically every mecha anime ever about attacking aliens and the team of teen pilots trying to get through a hopeless situation and Skyward #2 was basically Mass Effect. Just feels less original to me.

It's also less witty and funny than his Cosmere books imo. The main character Spensa is solid, but has less depth and is less interesting than most of the leads in his non-YA stuff.

But still a good book.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3717 on: September 21, 2022, 09:51:52 AM »
US audiable sale is really damn good.  Doesnt need a current membership either.

Bebpo

« Reply #3718 on: September 23, 2022, 02:15:48 AM »
Btw, I started reading the hardcover of the Skyward Flight Novella collection and holy shit the the book smells. Like it has a smell so strong I can smell it from my bedstand and have to move the book away when I'm done and have to wash my hands after reading because my hands smell strongly. I tried leaving it out open in open air today but it's still pretty smelly. Never had a new book smells miserable like this.

It's not musty like old books, it's some weird new book but bad smell. Almost tempted just to double dip on the ebook and read that, but I'm hoping it'll air out and the smell will go away after a few days.

I got that and Skyward #3 hardcovers together and #3 smells fine, it's just this book.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #3719 on: September 24, 2022, 11:05:52 PM »

Not really a fan of this. The author doesn't even seem to understand the thesis of his own book. There's nothing here about the "origin of radical ideas" as every single example is about people communicating and discussing so as to moderate and make ideas palatable to more people. A worthy topic, especially since we live in an age where people deny this is true, but not the topic Gal seems to think he wrote about. Some of the chapters, especially as he moves towards the modern day, don't even outline what the "radical idea" is supposed to be. There's a chapter about doctors and scientists talking online during the pandemic. What's the "radical idea" they were discussing? No idea, it just seems to be them talking about events of the pandemic as it unfolded. Did they know they could have done this before? No idea, the author suggests they didn't know this was possible until the pandemic even as the previous nine chapters of the book are about examples of this back to the 1600s including three chapters about people doing this on the internet specifically. (The author suggests in the epilogue that he personally believed Facebook and Twitter had somehow made private or even small scale communication obsolete until he was awoken to the limitations of these platforms in recent years.) It's also another book where the author complains that the internet allows misinformation, while suggesting the government needs to do something, and then goes onto repeat multiple instances of false things themselves. (For example, claiming that racist judges acquitted George Zimmerman using Stand Your Ground laws. The only true thing in his paragraph about this being that Zimmerman was acquitted.) Also, the person who claims they/them pronouns in the last chapter is referred to as she/her half the time so I have to assume when they got the chapter they objected that they were now non-binary and the author or an editor tried to change them but was bad at what they do. In the epilogue he claims Mastodon is horrifying and dangerous because nobody regulates it and suggests it caused January 6th and the existence of lolicon. (Meanwhile in the same section he praises Signal for being "non-profit" and not made by someone with capitalist motives which... I think Mastodon also was? And a literal communist at that?) Lastly, another writer who believes Pepe the Frog was created as a Nazi symbol.

This was fun but it's not exactly mind blowing, still a good history of how China has influenced modern Hollywood. Best part of that was Hollywood not realizing that China was going to target the rest of their studio slate and then the rest of their corporate parents to get them to censor all their movies. Really thought "oh, we just won't release this offensive movie in China" would work with a totalitarian ideology. The guy tries to sketch out a fearsome China Plan of global dominance of culture leading to Chinese political supremacy but he undermines this and then sorta forgets it was his opening argument. He notes that Xi's madness has basically destroyed the chance that Chinese films take off outside of China, he notes how Chinese communist mandates aren't really popular even in China in the first place, that other regimes interest in Chinese censorship is less about promoting China and more about how China keeps the gays away, that the West really has zero interest in ideologically Chinese films so China can only really just cut itself off completely, etc. He never really says it more tiptoes around it but he basically outlines how China doesn't grasp the aspirational aspect of what allowed Hollywood to dominate to everyone's chagrin. Now that the CCP is interested in films (and TV/etc.) as a medium for selling its aims it fundamentally cannot allow anything that deviates from the CCP message no matter how well it sells, the best example is Wolf Warrior 2 which made $875 million in just China and at the time of the writing of the book was the highest grossing non-English film ever (still 2nd) but the state refuses to allow a sequel to it because the concept of an individual hero (rather than a member of a team working for the state) deviates from the current CCP orthodoxy. My favorite part in the entire book is he talks to some Chinese woman about films she's seen recently and after she mentions a Marvel movie she starts telling him about how she can't understand why all the Marvel movies feature Thor when Loki is the obviously superior character as well as smarter for following Sun Tzu's advice on deception. Based random Chinese woman.