Author Topic: What book(s) are you reading?  (Read 535419 times)

Bebpo

Re: What book(s) are you reading?
« Reply #3600 on: February 20, 2022, 05:17:34 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Read Fangs by Sarah Anderson for a book club. It's a story told through one page, often 4-panel, webcomics about a romance between a gothy vampire and a hipster werewolf.

It's extremely cute, but doesn't have much of a connective story to it. There's almost no story at all after the intro tbh. A good set of the panels are pretty funny like when the werewolf says "we should have a baby" and there's a pause and the vampire says "...for dinner?"

It's pretty short and the actual physical book is really nice with a felt red cover and black pages. Definitely a good gift present for any goth girls or boys in your life.

Seemed like something I'd like, so scoped Amazon for it. German and French Kindle editions are on sale, but no sign of an English Kindle edition.  :-\

That's bizarre.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3601 on: February 20, 2022, 10:02:30 PM »
Yeah, probably something to do with the local publishing rights, when they were purchased. FANGS author may have signed a US-domestic agreement with a partner who is sitting on their thumbs. :-/

benjipwns

« Reply #3602 on: February 21, 2022, 12:19:09 AM »

A really nice history of the ACLU from its founding up to about 2019 using stuff from their own archives. Especially the early founding fights against suppression of speech against war, for labor rights, against McCarthyism, Skokie, etc. Then *grumble grumble* takes the same turn as the modern ACLU with a final chapter that says that in the Age of Trump the threat of misinformation and white supremacy is too high now and the ACLU needs to probably stop spending resources on fighting government suppression of information until the threat passes. How do you so miss the point of your own book?

Bebpo

« Reply #3603 on: February 21, 2022, 04:43:10 PM »
I'm unsubbing from audible and need to use my credits on audiobooks. I have 3 credits left. For one I'm gonna use on The Sandman Act II, but not sure what else to get/read. I don't think I could listen to something like Wheel of Time in audiobook because I listen when I'm driving and sometimes I'll tune out and miss stuff so can't be anything dense.

Maybe Harry Potter #1? Never read them. Rowlings sucks but I'd like to get around to reading them someday or watching the movies since they're a part of modern culture and everyone person I've ever dated has been a big HP fan.

*edit* Actually, gonna get Gaiman's Ocean at the end of the Lane since it's I think the only novel I haven't read of his at this point. So just need one other book.

*edit 2* googled best Stephen King audiobooks since I very much enjoy King and haven't read much of his post-Dark Tower era stuff outside Dr. Sleep which was meh. Been meaning to read or watch 11.22.63 since I hear its good and the mini-series adaptation is excellent. Anyhow googled and one of the top ones I haven't read is Joyland, a noir detective story from 2013. Sounds good and it's relatively short (~7 hours, I won't touch 20-30 hour audiobooks). I guess catching up on Harry Potter gets pushed off again.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 04:53:32 PM by Bebpo »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3604 on: February 21, 2022, 05:13:11 PM »
Wheel of Time audiobooks are the only reason I'm continuing the series --the narration is great.

You might like the Library at Mount Char, which also has good audio. 

If you do Harry Potter ever, make sure it's the Stephen Fry versions. 
NtGay

Bebpo

« Reply #3605 on: February 21, 2022, 05:34:50 PM »
I'm sure the WoT audiobooks are great, but they're so long it would take me 3 months to get through one since it already takes me 3-4 weeks to get through a 7-10 hour audiobook, and WoT book #1 I would re-read paragraphs a lot because it's dense with a lot happening in a paragraph so it wouldn't work for audiobook format for me.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3606 on: February 21, 2022, 06:09:25 PM »
I keep zoning out while listening to them and it turns out that past book 5 it's ok, because nothing happens.
NtGay

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
NtGay

benjipwns

« Reply #3608 on: February 26, 2022, 10:26:14 PM »

Pretty pretty good. The premise is to take some kind of recent popular culture thing and then explain the semi-related Supreme Court rulings in plain language that outline the status of the First Amendment protections they've ruled on so you can know the law. Like it discusses Colin Kaepernick's protest and then talks about the Courts rulings on requiring the pledge, which is not perfect but you take what you can get I suppose, SNL parodying Trump to his anger and Hustler's case with Farwell is probably a closer example used. If I have to quibble, at one point they say that there's "no simple answers" as to whether or not the First Amendment prevents the government from outlawing speech it doesn't like which I find is contradicted by the fact that "shall make no law" does not have an "unless it wants to" clause. Also there's a bit of worrying about "misinformation" like the above ACLU book, although this one certainly does not take the position that this means the state should murder people who speak misinformation merely suggesting that it "complicates" things. (It does not.)

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3609 on: March 01, 2022, 03:36:54 PM »

jesus
NtGay

Tasty

Bebpo

« Reply #3611 on: March 01, 2022, 06:10:09 PM »
Yeah, he's gonna release 6 books in 2023 including a 1,000+ finale to this Stormlight arc

2023 - GONNA BE FANTASY EATING

Bebpo

« Reply #3612 on: March 02, 2022, 03:06:11 PM »
Goddamn, Sanderson kickstarter already at $16M and about to overtake Pebble ($20M) as the most funded kickstarter of all time.

There is no way that Sanderon's stuff doesn't start getting TV/film adaptations in the next decade. His stuff is very popular. I'd love an HBO Game of Thrones budget TV adaptation of Stormlight. That's about the only way it could work. I would not love a Wheel of Time budget TV adaptation of Stormlight.

Realistically though, they'll make a Mistborn The Final Empire movie and ehhhhh, don't have the highest hopes for it. I think TFE is too generic to standout in films. Probably more likely if Skyward gets made it could be a moderate success to the YA crowd though it's kind of hard SF and that doesn't appeal to YA crowd.

Bebpo

« Reply #3613 on: March 11, 2022, 04:09:05 AM »
Midway through First Law #2

Book is doing a good job at having exciting high stakes stuff going on with all the viewpoints at the same time. Normally viewpoint books have the less interesting viewpoints, but juggling three major arcs in three varied locations is working really well here.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Jezal now brokejaw :o
[close]

benjipwns

« Reply #3614 on: March 12, 2022, 12:08:50 PM »

I have no complaints about the content (except the usage of Latinx), not even the clunky cac references to BLM or The 1619 Project. It's probably super informative to non-libertarians. But so so many paragraphs are repeated nearly verbatim. To use the last chapter as an example, when he discusses immunity he starts by describing what it is and explaining past precedent on it, which would be great but there's like six chapters on immunity and a few others also touch on it and he does it every single time and for multiple subjects. Immunity is really important but not that important! The part about possible reforms is good, so often people default to "overthrow the law" or "eliminate the Supreme Court" as the only possible solutions, actually working in this area Chemerinsky knows there's plenty to be done, especially at the state level where the Supreme Court cannot tread in restricting rights. (The principles of American federalism are such that the federal Constitution can protect your rights from the states violating them but do not empower the states to violate your rights within their own constitutional protections. i.e. Even if the federal Constitution says your rights aren't protected, the California Constitution may go further and thus restrict the California and local governments more so, the federal Supreme Court does not get to overrule and eliminate these protections.) I also like that he mentions stuff in dissents (even if in the case of the police once progressive heroes like RBG rarely dissented or restricted the police, Scalia did as much), a lot of people will ignore them since they aren't binding in any way, but they can win later on, at other levels and in other ways.

benjipwns

« Reply #3615 on: March 21, 2022, 09:16:21 PM »

I liked this. I was initially concerned because of the title but it didn't try to make everyone seem all noble and principled and brilliant with no problems ever their fault. The only people who seemed to get any positive spin were Obama and Buttigieg, who seemed to be sources for the book. My favorite part was just how many of the candidates started thinking they should run the moment Trump won and then how many decided they "had" to run to stop Bernie too. Apparently Berniebros are not fan of the book or author because he didn't write a hagiography about how Bernie was perfect and there was a conspiracy to steal everything from Bernie because he was perfect. But it actually makes Warren look like she screwed over or at least tried to screw over Bernie multiple times out of spite. The chapters after the election were a little odd in structure, I think he might have intended to end the book with the election but then January 6th happened and he tries to work that in but it breaks away from the rest of the book's style and just tells you what happened. Also he makes fun of Rudy a few times but completely leaves out Rudy's failures in court, doesn't even mention how bad all of Trump's court challenges were.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3616 on: March 22, 2022, 10:30:29 AM »
Middle Game is free from Tor
NtGay

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3617 on: March 23, 2022, 09:04:40 AM »
Library at Mount Char is 2$  https://www.amazon.com/Library-at-Mount-Char-ebook/dp/B00NRQRWAA/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?qid=1648024359&s=digital-text&sr=1-7 

One of the books I think about most after reading
NtGay

Bebpo

« Reply #3618 on: March 25, 2022, 05:52:43 PM »

Finished the audiobook of Stephen King's Joyland in his non-horror short pulp series.

It was just ok. The first half of the book is great. Great companion piece to Nightmare Alley. The second half is like a bit boring/sappy romance and the thriller reveals were kinda plain and drawn out. Honestly was a bit bored with the last 1/3rd. Good characters, good setting and pretty well written. Just not a particular interesting story.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #3619 on: April 05, 2022, 07:40:54 AM »
Going through Berserk a second time. Made a doom metal playlist to listen to whilst reading.

Good combination.

Potato

• Kipfler
« Reply #3620 on: April 05, 2022, 04:06:32 PM »
Cathedral
 :rejoice :preach :respect :delicious
Spud

benjipwns

« Reply #3621 on: April 14, 2022, 02:42:31 PM »

Disappointing. There are Wikipedia entries on some Amendments that have more information, detail, etc. A lot of the sources for this were the Congress' History section on their website. The most interesting part was probably the parts at the start not about any amendments. The Bill of Rights and some past proposed amendments get some really short treatments while others get really long ones with no clear rhyme or reason to this. I did learn from this though that a southern Senator (from Mississippi I think so probably James Eastland) compared eliminating the poll tax to vote as similar to "Hitler's crimes" which seems a bit much.

Comic adaption of the novel, I put it in here because I figure most people will have read the book. I actually liked the stuff in Lakeside more than all the stuff to do with Wednesday and most of the gods.

Good enough, no real complaints. The former spent quite a lot of time, like a third of the book or more, on Harlan's "adopted brother" (it's complicated) which is a little weird. The latter included some travelogues by the author which was boring. Also the jacket of the latter claims the book is "hilarious" which I must have a different definition of.

:delicious

benjipwns

« Reply #3622 on: April 25, 2022, 09:19:46 PM »

Was alright. The main problem is that it didn't actually establish them as friends, just work buddies who temporarily agreed about the Gulf War. Some good Cheney quotes though. Also early in the W. administration Rumsfeld and Rice and some others were poking fun at Powell about how if they had a meeting at the State Department they'd expect a lavishly catered meal like state dinners. So when they did it was a big fancy affair with silver everywhere and they lifted up the trays and underneath was a brown paper bag with a turkey sandwich inside.

An odd book. In 1943, Henry Luce paid $200,000 for a commission full of academics to issue a report on freedom of the press and it was useless and everyone hated it. Except now it's treasured by journalism schools and the report is assigned in all of them. This is about the commissions work and writing the report. The actual journalism stuff is dumb and boring but I liked this because all the academics except a couple had nutty ideas and were totally naÔve. A bunch believed that "freedom of the press" doesn't mean you should be able to print things the government doesn't like. Others thought you should be able to take journalists to court where a judge would declare whether or not the article was true. One dude was a "reformed fascist" except for that part where he still was a complete totalitarian, he thought the government should nationalize the media because it was too dangerous to allow to undermine democracy since the people were just an unintelligent mass that did whatever they were told by elites. One dude thought the First Amendment should mean that any "reputable person" should be able to publish for free any "reasonable opinion" in a newspaper or whatever even if the newspaper didn't want to publish it. The author mentions there's some "eerie concerns" that still apply today like consolidation of outlets and so on but he missed the biggest one which was all these academics whining about how disinformation is too dangerous to democracy to allow a free press. But since they couldn't actually agree on much of anything, none of this made it into the report which was bland, not really philosophical and nobody remembered it existed for fifty years or so.

Oral history from the guy who did the ones for SNL and ESPN. About HBO. Nearly 1000 pages. Covers it from the start in the 1970s up through AT&T's purchase with a few updates about the recent years towards the Warner Discovery spin-off. Covers a bunch of the shows and documentaries and HBO Sports and so on, though not too many in detail which I admit would be difficult. Funniest thing is how many of these executives are still butthurt and seething over stuff that happened like 15-30 years ago. I don't even mean legitimate gripes that recalling the history brought up but just petty shit. Richard Plepler comes off as a total asshole, even his own comments make him sound like it. The top Warner/HBO executives all thought AT&T was going to not change anything except to just give them tons more money. :lol

Potato

• Kipfler
« Reply #3623 on: April 25, 2022, 10:59:09 PM »
Finished this

Now on to this

Amazing how the ideas in The Revolt of the Masses which was published in 1930 are still so relevant today.
Spud

Bebpo

« Reply #3624 on: April 26, 2022, 03:42:20 AM »
Finally finished First Law Book #2 - Before They are Hanged. Was good! No complaints. Didn't have big conclusions but coming from the first book I didn't expect it to. Enjoyed the characters and their journeys. All three story arcs that were going on were interesting.

Given the kind of slower pace of the first two books, it definitely feels like there's a lot of stuff to wrap up in the 3rd book. Looking forward to seeing how it ties together.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3625 on: April 27, 2022, 04:48:07 AM »
It all gets a solid, thrilling finish. Fucking amazing finale.

Cauliflower Of Love

• They/King/Queen

benjipwns

« Reply #3627 on: April 27, 2022, 05:42:25 AM »

Tasty

« Reply #3628 on: April 29, 2022, 10:40:09 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Oral history from the guy who did the ones for SNL and ESPN. About HBO. Nearly 1000 pages. Covers it from the start in the 1970s up through AT&T's purchase with a few updates about the recent years towards the Warner Discovery spin-off. Covers a bunch of the shows and documentaries and HBO Sports and so on, though not too many in detail which I admit would be difficult. Funniest thing is how many of these executives are still butthurt and seething over stuff that happened like 15-30 years ago. I don't even mean legitimate gripes that recalling the history brought up but just petty shit. Richard Plepler comes off as a total asshole, even his own comments make him sound like it. The top Warner/HBO executives all thought AT&T was going to not change anything except to just give them tons more money. :lol

This is on my list! Was really excited to get to it but at lot of reviews find it pretty meandering and disconnected, and bloated too. Still planning on getting to it.

Tasty

« Reply #3629 on: April 29, 2022, 10:43:59 PM »

Covers the 7-month period in 2019-2020 that saw Disney+, HBO Max, Apple TV+, Quibi, and Peacock all launch. Written by two people from Deadline, and recommended by Vulture's Josef Adalian (who does the streaming-centric Buffering newsletter I sub to).

Only about a chapter in at the moment, and a lot of the language is a bit overwrought, but it's a subject I'm interested in and is a pretty easy read so far.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 12:21:23 AM by Tasty »

benjipwns

« Reply #3630 on: April 29, 2022, 11:32:33 PM »
This is on my list! Was really excited to get to it but at lot of reviews find it pretty meandering and disconnected, and bloated too. Still planning on getting to it.
It probably is meandering and disconnected if you're not used to these types of histories. It's mostly in a chronological order but the way these are often done is like say there's section where the executive is talking about how profits were down and "we didn't have any great new show ideas, just some crap starring some nobody about a gangster in New Jersey" and then it transitions into talking about the start of The Sopranos.

Bloated is accurate but it actually made me wish it was two books (like the Star Trek ones were) because they'd start mentioning stuff about a show and then it's never talked about again. So probably good editing would have cut stuff. If you go by how it's talked about in the book, Eastbound and Down was a complete failure that everybody in the company hated. Except it gets four seasons in the real world, the book never comes back to it after people dislike the pilot. Similarly the book makes you think Arli$$ was cancelled after two seasons because the executives didn't like it, when the fan response kept it on the air for another five!

Whole thing actually felt very rushed, there are typos galore throughout it, missing quotation marks, confusing millions and billions, etc. It sorta feels like the guy may not have actually been done but the book was maybe pushed out to match the Warner Discovery spin-off deal or something. Or maybe he had just spent too long on it and ran out of time.

Tasty

« Reply #3631 on: April 30, 2022, 12:45:50 AM »
Lines up with the reviews I saw. It's daunting but I do want to get to it eventually.

Maybe someday they do a new edition with revised editing...

Bebpo

« Reply #3632 on: May 07, 2022, 04:15:47 AM »
Finished Gaiman's The Ocean at the End of the Lane.

It was ok, the lore was good, the beginning was good, the end was good, but a huge chunk of the middle is spent on this spooky nanny monster and it's just boring. Feels like the case of a good setting/lore but not a particularly good story set within it.

Now I've read or seen movie adaptations of all Gaiman's catalog. The only ones I didn't read and watched the movie instead were Coraline and Stardust which I hear were both pretty faithful and good adaptations. I wouldn't mind reading Stardust at some point I guess. Though I also haven't finished his Sandman run or some of his other comic works either. Will get back to Sandman soon.

benjipwns

« Reply #3633 on: May 12, 2022, 03:41:32 PM »

Liked it quite a bit. It's a history of Scientology not a description, so it's far less about beliefs and practices and more about the people and events. I glanced at the Goodreads reviews and it seems people wanted the former with criticism and were upset about instead learning about how fucking nuts L. Ron Hubbard was. The only celebrities really involved is Tom Cruise and Paul Haggis which also seems to be one of the major laments as I guess people wanted more celebrity action after Leah Remini's series.

More of a biography of Ted Turner really, which was fine. The history of CNN itself almost entirely ends after it goes on the air. I didn't mind that it was so focused on Turner and the growth of his entire media empire but it was a little weird that it was framed as a history of CNN.

Also fine. Starts with Helms who was not the first CIA director but the fifth "full" director which is a bit odd. Also seems to believe certain directors more than others based on how they were in personal interviews, for example because John Brennan was so forthcoming he seems to believe he's an apolitical straight shooter. Allows James Clapper (who was not a CIA director and is a known perjurer) a few pages to spread weird conspiracy theories along with his belief that Obama should have ordered the CIA to elect Hillary Clinton. The final chapter is just about Trump who was also not a CIA director to my knowledge. Not even what his CIA directors did to respond to him but really just about him, which while enjoyable enough is a weird swerve. Another odd thing is he leaves the years off after dates quite often and the order of events isn't chronological so you have no idea what year something happened. Amusingly it seems like he tried to hide a guys identity on photo captions by only identifying him by his position but then in the chapter itself it says the dude's name a bunch of times and connects him to that position. Great OPSEC dude, hope that's not what the CIA itself is practicing.

benjipwns

« Reply #3634 on: May 27, 2022, 11:33:59 PM »

How shosta personally ruined an entire American city. Book was actually a little better than I expected after having read some of his articles before. He's now running for Governor of California too. The book is mostly good at identifying the problems, but like most books the solutions don't really make much sense. He's more on the Himu side of things than the shosta side but I still thought the critiques of certain things were solid. Probably the oddest thing, especially with the subtitle, is less that it's aimed at convincing progressives that they're fucking up than it seems to be like he figured it out and really wants to tell conservatives something they probably already assume. I thought it was most effective in the places where he talked to more progressive advocates who helped make the case that whatever policy was failing on their own terms. In other words, he should have written his entire book solely for me.

Oral history of The Office, with many of the actors and so on, written by the actor who played Kevin based on stuff he compiled for his podcast. Pretty good, the background stuff about how it came to be is better than the rest of the book where they sort of rush through the actual series. And not just because Greg Daniels also talks some about King of the Hill and how it informed his vision for The Office. Worst of all is the constant injection of Vox writer Emily VanDerWerff, an awful person who was not involved in The Office and literally has nothing to say about it. I'm not joking, there was lots of words but basically no content. The one attempt at trying to construct a thought was just gibberish about how the true meaning and value of the show was somehow revealed by Trump-era capitalism. Heartwarming part in the book is people reveal that during the writers strike Greg Daniels gave all the crew $1000 personally to help them through it.

Superior book about the superior NBC show. The same kind of thing but leans a bit more into covering every single episode even if barely. I think the best part of it was also the early development and early years of the show. Funniest part was the writer talking about people confusing Tina Fey and Sarah Palin and then himself writing that something Fey did was something Palin did. Book spends a lot of time complaining about how problematic 30 Rock was and invites in only white people like the author to say that pulling episodes from streaming was the right thing after the world discovered black people existed in 2020, with the one black person asked saying that nothing should have been pulled, while lamenting that other episodes weren't pulled due to transphobia and fatphobia. As if this wasn't bad enough it then brings in fucking VanDerWerff to say literally nothing informative about the show but spend tons of time complaining solely about how problematic the humor was and how "we" just didn't know better back then along with how sad it is that Tina Fey hasn't learned to do better. How does someone this awful with nothing useful to say keep winding up in books? If the next book I read about PayPal has them in it I'm quitting reading forever.

Tasty

« Reply #3635 on: May 31, 2022, 09:06:00 PM »
What's your guys' entertainment breakdown?

I used to be like

[=======   ] 65% films
[==        ] 20% shows
[=         ] 10% comics/manga
[=         ] 5% books

Now I'm more like

[=====     ] 45% films
[====      ] 35% shows
[==        ] 15% books
[=         ] 5% comics/manga

Still want to push books higher... :thinking

I'm ditching my laptop for a desktop + Kindle setup. I figure maybe if the Kindle is next to my bed instead of a laptop I'll do more book-reading lol.

(I do read an insane amount of news and Wiki articles, but I assume everyone does and I don't think that type of reading should be included among entertainment choices.)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 09:10:39 PM by Tasty »

Potato

• Kipfler
« Reply #3636 on: May 31, 2022, 11:26:13 PM »
60% shows
30% books
10% films
 :donot % comics and manga
Spud

benjipwns

« Reply #3637 on: May 31, 2022, 11:27:45 PM »
I used to be more balanced but recently, as one might glean from my posts in this thread, I've been like 90% books. Even without this little bulge since the pandemic it'd still be books, then comics. I have barely watched films in recent years outside of titanic Academy Award winning works of art like Zack Snyder's Justice League, I don't even really have many on a list to watch or anything like I do a bunch of TV shows. Seem to watch the ones I do almost semi-randomly.

It's funny because I'll be like "meh, don't want to commit to watching something for a couple hours" but then I'll wind up reading. Though it does seem much easier for me to read and do other things at the same time, which like you I'll also do reading stuff online.

archnemesis

« Reply #3638 on: June 01, 2022, 03:33:26 AM »
I'm split pretty equally between movies, TV series, novels, video games, and board games. Comics rarely hold my attention anymore. I started reading the Sandman omnibus a couple months back. It was pretty good, but halfway through I realized that I would rather read a novel.

Polident Hive

« Reply #3639 on: June 01, 2022, 05:26:08 AM »
Habits formed during those early Covid days kept up. I read a lot more to get out of my office area and away from my monitor. Have a healthy amount of book books but did purchase a kindle. That led to reading more manga. Nothing Jump related. Iím out of the loop anything there thatís not Hunter X Hunter. Iíve taken to watching movies without distractions. No phone. No tablet. Usually at night. My idea was to make it more eventful. I think itís been successful, but limiting.

Donít know the last anime series I watched. Could be Dorohedoro. Havenít kept up with comics in forever. Since itís been mentioned, last year Justice League did get me to revisit Morrisonís JLA.

benjipwns

« Reply #3640 on: June 04, 2022, 05:03:46 PM »

I liked this. It's not about what they all did after just how PayPal came together up until they sell to eBay. Nice little mix of tech startup story and some financial stuff. Originally at X.com they were going to have the tech people do tech stuff and financial people handle all that stuff, but they found out they could teach the tech people to do the financial stuff but not the other way around so Musk let the finance people all go and it worked out. Later when they were doing the IPO Thiel fired the bank they originally hired because they wouldn't or couldn't understand what PayPal even was supposed to be.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #3641 on: June 04, 2022, 05:24:11 PM »

It's basically various correspondences between Dr. Bashir, and Garak during DS9 and post DS9 and a fascinating read into plain simple Garak pre DS9. :rejoice.

This would make a hell of a movie or a mini series, although current year media would fuck it up.  :larry
[close]
« Last Edit: June 05, 2022, 09:30:21 AM by D3RANG3D »

benjipwns

« Reply #3642 on: June 04, 2022, 06:14:48 PM »
Probably the best Star Trek novel. It's also the first book in the DS9 Relaunch which is pretty solid.

Bebpo

« Reply #3643 on: June 13, 2022, 04:57:26 PM »
Re: First Law Book #3

It all gets a solid, thrilling finish. Fucking amazing finale.

I'm in the 2nd half now and still hoping this is the case because...I'm actually not enjoying this book so much. I just don't like any of the characters arcs in the first half.

At this point I feel like book #2 was the most "fun" and best. The three scenarios were all really good and exciting:

1. Logen + Ferro + Jeyzal + Bayaz + Quai + Navigator on a world journey together was so much fun
2. Glokta running the Dagoska southern city seige defense with all its characters and inner dealings and conspiracies was GREAT
3. The northern group led by Threetrees/Dogman saving West and their adventures together to stop the Union from getting massacred by Bethod's army was great
[close]

Whereas Book 3 so far has been:

1. Logen/Dogman/West going back to being essentially sides characters in the North and these new characters like crazy Crummuck aren't great. First half is surviving the seige from Bethod which was a bit boring. I really dislike the direction they went with Logen compared to book 2 where he's like the jolly friend buddy getting the team to like each other and work together. Now he's just sullen and killing people RIP TUL DURU THUNDERHEAD.
2. Glotka basically running around doing errands and no real story other than he's in over his head and being pulled in different directions.
3. Jezal being a shitty useless king, aka going back to being a useless character again while the Gurkish army starts to invade.
4. Ferro just doing her own thing killing Gurkish soldiers again.
5. Bayaz just in the background scheming.
[close]

Basically the first half of Book 3 isn't very fun and is just a lot of characters who were made good & interesting in book 2 reverting to being sidelined and shitty things happening to everyone.

Just feels like the dynamics worked better as a group like book #2 and split apart they're all less interesting.
[close]

Hopefully the back half starts to pull things together again.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3644 on: June 14, 2022, 01:49:31 AM »
Stay the course.

Bebpo

« Reply #3645 on: June 15, 2022, 06:21:21 PM »
Stay the course.

Last night read the

Fenrid the Feared/Bethod v Logen conclusion.

The conclusion of the war in the north was executed pretty well. Black Dow is great.
[close]

benjipwns

« Reply #3646 on: June 18, 2022, 04:03:22 PM »

Probably the book that those of us who read that earlier WeWork book, that was more authorized biography of Adam Neumann than anything else, wanted. Neumann is still the central figure of course but this has all the business stuff, the insanity, his wife, the executives, investors and enablers, etc. A bit of a downside is that everything gets explained, sometimes more than once, which if you're already familiar with the genre, especially the tech startup genre, is repetitive but I understand why a more general audience book written by WSJ journalists would do it that way. Book also emphasizes the unmissable part of WeWork, that none of it made any sense, the business plan was always just a real estate company. Favorite part is the book includes how a similar company with the same exact business plan already existed since 1989 and built its valuation the old boring way. (Funny enough, the owner of that company said basically "but this is the same business?" and so copied some of the WeWork things people loved like glass walls and so on and opened more places that looked like WeWork offices but with the same old business plan. Now the company is worth more than it ever was, even after COVID.) Also, unlike the earlier book which ended nebulously before anything could be known, this one has a happy ending since it includes Neumann's golden parachute of $2 billion or whatever it worked out to be if you add it up that he's now threatening to reinvest and improve the world again with.

Tasty

« Reply #3647 on: June 18, 2022, 10:04:25 PM »
Funny enough, the owner of that company said basically "but this is the same business?" and so copied some of the WeWork things people loved like glass walls and so on and opened more places that looked like WeWork offices but with the same old business plan. Now the company is worth more than it ever was, even after COVID.

"And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house, but it did not fall, because it had been founded on the rock. And everyone who hears these words of mine and does not do them will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand. And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell, and great was the fall of it."

:thinking This parable's always stuck with me.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3648 on: June 21, 2022, 09:28:57 PM »
We are legion (we are Bob) is so good. 
NtGay