Author Topic: What book(s) are you reading?  (Read 670129 times)

Potato

• Senior's Member
Re: What book(s) are you reading?
« Reply #3720 on: September 25, 2022, 06:11:56 AM »
Finished Network Effect by Martha Wells. Murderbot is the best.
Spud

Bebpo

« Reply #3721 on: September 25, 2022, 01:22:33 PM »
Watching the behind the scenes stuff on the making of Pitch Black, I found out that it's actually an adaptation of Isaac Asimov's breakout hit short story "Nightfall". That Pitch Black started as a straight adaptation of that story but then the writer/director re-wrote the existing script to make it more its own thing, but it still retains parts of it like a planet that's always daylight and then night falls and shit pops off.

I've never read any Asimov, so I picked up the Nightfall & 23 other short stories collection. After I finish up the Skyward Novellas this week (finishing the first one today), going to read those next. I hear Asimov's early short stories aren't his best and are a lot less robot/AI stories, but I'm not really a fan of robot sci-fi so that's fine with me.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #3722 on: September 25, 2022, 02:59:55 PM »
Foundation is a must for any sci-fi fan.
Spud

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3723 on: September 25, 2022, 07:58:08 PM »
Oh shit I have nightfall somwhere. 

Bebpo

« Reply #3724 on: September 28, 2022, 06:02:12 AM »
Finished the 2nd Skyward novella ReDawn and fuck that was a great sci-fi space battle story. At 200 pages+ it's not even a novella as much as just as short novel. Was up until 4am last night and 3am tonight blowing through it in two nights. In some ways that was better than the mainline books in the series. Very impressed and into this series at this point.

Glad the final book is coming early next year so won't be a long wait to finish it up.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3725 on: September 29, 2022, 11:41:31 AM »
Reading Feed book one of the Newsflesh series.  I don't find zombies interesting, but I'm having fun with this.  The setting is kind of unique where living with zombies has become normalized and society is functional.  It's also kind of a wild read post covid since most of the book focuses on how bloggers but not traditional media was the thing to be trusted during a pandemic :dead

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #3726 on: September 29, 2022, 11:57:19 AM »
Foundation is a must for any sci-fi fan.

Cause they're ugly pockmarked nerds I'm guessing.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3727 on: September 30, 2022, 01:16:27 AM »
Reading Feed book one of the Newsflesh series.  I don't find zombies interesting, but I'm having fun with this.  The setting is kind of unique where living with zombies has become normalized and society is functional.  It's also kind of a wild read post covid since most of the book focuses on how bloggers but not traditional media was the thing to be trusted during a pandemic :dead.

Weird, I picked up this book during my trip to the USA, and I am reading it right now as well.

Bebpo

« Reply #3728 on: September 30, 2022, 11:06:34 PM »
His Dark Materials Book #2 - The Subtle Knife

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Damn, RIP Lee Scoresby the texan aeronaught. Great character. I thought he'd make it through the series. That was a good death scene. Hit me with the feels.
[close]

I think I have like 1 or 2 chapters left. This book is better than book #1 imo mostly because Lyra doesn't keep getting kidnapped. Also Will is an interesting character.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #3729 on: October 01, 2022, 04:11:54 AM »
Just finished The Empress of Salt and Fortune by Nghi Vo.

Interesting little book. Will definitely check out the follow up.

East Asian influenced fantasy is always refreshing in a world of mediaeval LotR imitations.
Spud

Bebpo

« Reply #3730 on: October 01, 2022, 05:36:24 PM »
Finished The Subtle Knife by Phillip Pullman via the full cast unabridged audiobook.

What a ride. That got pretty dark at the end. This book series of His Dark Materials is like every JRPG ever with its mixing of fantasy, science and biblical stuff. As a big Xenogears fan, its right up my alley. Will was a great addition to book #2.

Feels like Brandon Sanderson took some inspirations from this for his main Stormlight Archives series. The Subtle Knife definitely has some similarities to the sword Nightblood and demons and their dynamics feel a lot like Stormlight's spren and their dynamics. Plus some other stuff.

If the final book holds up, this will be one of my favorite series ever. I don't know if I'll watch the HBO adaptation at this point, doesn't feel like you can do this justice in a 3 season TV show.

Bebpo

« Reply #3731 on: October 02, 2022, 08:21:07 PM »
Started on book #3, The Amber Spyglass audiobook and they lost the voice actor for Will, which given the character's importance is a major fuck up. The VA killed it in Subtle Knife as Will, this new recast VA sounds way older and more generic. Apparently the VA for Will was sick during recording of book #3 so they had to recast him :(

Also another thing that threw me off at the start is, the

Angels in Subtle Knife all talk with like a stoic echo-ing otherworldly voice, including the two angels who show up at the very end and tell Will they're on a mission to guide him to Lord Asreal. Like I would expect from their style of speech that in the written book they'd be talking in italics or CAPs or something.

Then suddenly book 3 starts and the two angels are recast and sound like normal every day people and Balthamos is kind of pathetic?
[close]

Just some weird tonal shifts. Everyone else seems on point and Pullman is still doing a great job as the narrator.

Bebpo

« Reply #3732 on: October 04, 2022, 04:57:58 AM »
Finished Evershore, the third and final Skyward novella and it was great. This novella trio by Janci Patterson and Sanderson were honestly better than the first two main Skyward books. Very Star Wars space battle with force powers sci-fi. The rogue squadron team here is a lot of fun and the set pieces are exciting. Tons of plot progression. Will be fun seeing it play into the main series for the final two books.

Have zero qualms with Patterson writing Sanderson characters. Couldn't really tell the difference in this co-written book.

Bebpo

« Reply #3733 on: October 08, 2022, 04:16:04 PM »
About a quarter or third through His Dark Materials #3 - The Amber Spyglass. The start of this book has some real fluff stuff. This book is a lot longer than the first two books and it's the first book where some of the stuff is pretty uninteresting like the segments with Dr. Malone hanging out with the alien elephants with wheel feet. Once

Lyra wakes up and gets back together with Will
[close]

It's good again, but that was a bit rough of a start. I'd imagine the TV show will trim that down significantly to make this book fit in one season and it might be better for it.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #3734 on: October 09, 2022, 12:37:33 AM »

Jeff Immelt sucks. Obviously there's more to the story, plenty of executives at GE screwed up, but the main thing seems to be that Jeff Immelt doesn't believe that he personally could ever screw up. Some of the dumbest decisions are directly because of this. GE overpaid for a bunch of things it bought solely because Immelt wanted them and GE often wanted to set the price too high for other people to even bid. In one of the biggest cases the analysts at the company couldn't figure out how the company was supposed to make money on a purchase based purely on the terms of the deal alone that GE negotiated against itself. (For example they weren't taking the companies most profitable division, instead rerouting it to another company, even though without this division the main company hadn't made any profit in years.) Didn't matter, it was supposed to the "capstone" for Immelt that Jack Welch never accomplished. They also did things like claim they were getting out of insurance entirely, but actually didn't sell all of it because companies wouldn't take a bunch of bad insurance deals they had made. Claimed they were completely out of insurance anyway, then years later the new CEO discovers he's got $15 billion in outstanding insurance liabilities sitting around and the government wants to know about it. Immelt seemed to be obsessed with the idea that GE's only problem was a lack of central narrative or story to sell the company to people and once that was taken care of they'd have so much money any problem didn't matter. Also he did stuff like have an empty company plane fly around behind the company plane he was taking places in case the first plane had a mechanical issue, something the President of the United States does not do not even under Trump. Or have a black car drive him hundreds of feet from the helicopter pad to the front door of a building. Those things weren't tremendous costs to a conglomerate like GE of course but they certainly help illustrate a narrative of a certain imperial management style. There's a couple subtle 30 Rock references, like the chapter about GE selling NBC to Comcast being titled "Kabletown" which I have to approve of.

Didn't really want to read another 2020 election book, especially not so soon, but this goes past the primaries, is from the Shattered people so they have Clintonite sources and opens with Huma Abedin telling Clintonites not to sign up with any other campaigns until Hillary says otherwise because she should be considered the Democrats presumptive nominee until she refuses to run. (She apparently considered it again as Biden collapsed and Bernie rose until Bloomberg entered the race.) Fine enough book with behind-the-scenes infighting and stuff like you'd expect. Main complaint is that they tried to get it out before Biden took office so it goes into some odd stuff like thinking that Biden's refusal to endorse Defund The Police was threatening his support with minorities and could cause Black people to not vote for him unless he supported it completely. Surely all the progressives on Twitter and at the NYT ("Yes, we really do mean Abolish The Police", "this puts Black @nytimes staffs in danger") wouldn't endorse it as the mandatory One True Position if it wasn't absolutely true. Best part was the Obama and other DNC people who parachuted into the campaign after the primaries and also the Trump campaign both being obsessed and angry about Biden allowing Trump the entire field that summer at the height of COVID/BLM rather than chasing Trump around trying to respond every day to everything in the news cycle. Even as every poll on everything (head-to-head, favorability, direction of country, etc.) was showing Biden rising and Trump dropping they all believed Biden was throwing away the election by not trying to force himself into the media spotlight and directly challenging Trump constantly on every subject he tweeted about from the most progressive position possible. (Both campaigns thought the public polls weren't accurate, but they went about this in different ways that somewhat match the candidates. Trump's campaign did all its own polling and shockingly found, at least with the polls they shared with him personally, that Trump always was winning and the most popular President ever. Biden's inner team simply just reweighted the public polls, with small private polling efforts to confirm, on the assumption that less educated voters should be a larger percentage of the share since all the 2016 and since polls had made the same error of overweighting highly educated voters compared to the final election results especially in regards to whites because these are the types of people willing to respond to polls in the first place.) Related to this, one quoted Trump campaign official couldn't understand why their "we need harsh law and order" rather than "Joe Biden's America of anarchy and chaos" type messaging was working so well since Trump, not Joe Biden, was the actual incumbent President. (I checked and this does seem to actually be true for 2017-2021.)

Bebpo

« Reply #3735 on: October 13, 2022, 09:26:15 PM »
Halfway through Discworld #5 - Sourcery

And this book is a bit dull. Been reading about 10-20 pages a night before I pass out because it's not really grabbing me. Compared to the previous books of Mort and Equal Rites and The Light Fantastic, it just seems kind of uninteresting.

It's about a bunch of wizards and the kid Coin taking over the city and being evil wizards, which is not really that funny?
Then it's about Rincewind and the super thief Conina on a trip with a magic talking hat. This is pretty good. Rincewind is a bit dull on his own, but with other lively characters creates a lot of humorous dialogue as they play off each other. However, it feels a bit of a retread of The Light Fantastic with Rincewind/Two-Flower and Conan and a non-talking but living Luggage.

I dunno, it's fine enough, but Books 2-4 all were really fun and read fast, this isn't. But I feel like some of these Discworld books take a while to get going and then are exciting in their back halves. So maybe the back half will be a big improvement.

Just kind of surprised Pratchett would suggest this was where new readers start on Discworld. I think it'd be better if they actually developed Coin instead of seeing him from the point of view of other wizards.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3736 on: October 16, 2022, 08:39:59 AM »
this might be of some interest to people here  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/60382857-fight-magic-items

Going to listen to Skyward cause its free o audible until the end of the month.

Bebpo

« Reply #3737 on: October 16, 2022, 12:38:24 PM »
this might be of some interest to people here  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/60382857-fight-magic-items

Going to listen to Skyward cause its free o audible until the end of the month.

Skyward yay! Enjoy. It's more than a bit anime, but it's fun.

Bebpo

« Reply #3738 on: October 16, 2022, 12:47:10 PM »
Also before I started on Sourcery, I read Asimov's Nightfall short story and...I didn't care for it and it turned me off reading the other 22 short stories in the collection. Was all build up and then ended before anything happened, found that short story pretty unsatisfying and not sure why it broke him out into the mainstream and made him famous.

After Sourcery will read another short or two from the collection but I think I'll give it about 3-4 stories total before I just shelve it. Then again these aren't Asimov's famous stuff (other than Nightfall), this is a collection of smaller random more unknown shorts, so maybe not the best way to judge if I enjoy his material. Just not sure if I want to commit to a full length novel of his so I'd rather read a good short story first.

Kind of like with Sanderson, I didn't care for the first Mistborn that much (it was ok), but later on I read The Emperor's Soul short story and it was super good and got me into his style and back to reading the rest of his books.

benjipwns

« Reply #3739 on: October 17, 2022, 01:03:42 AM »
I know this series is popular in anime and other forms so some people may be interested, Humble Bundle of the original Vampire Hunter D novels, $15 for the whole set: https://www.humblebundle.com/books/vampire-hunter-d-dark-horse-books

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3740 on: October 18, 2022, 09:48:36 AM »
Skyward was better than I thought it would be, mostly because it's less YA than I had heard people describe it as.  Basically on par with Mistborn in that regard. 

Bebpo

« Reply #3741 on: October 18, 2022, 11:33:44 AM »
Skyward was better than I thought it would be, mostly because it's less YA than I had heard people describe it as.  Basically on par with Mistborn in that regard.

I think it's YA, but in the same way most mecha anime.

There's plenty of anime about a bunch of teen mecha pilots having to defend against mysterious alien invasions while having to grow up fast due to constantly being on the brink of death. Evangelion, Rahxephon, Fafner, Bokurano, etc...Skyward is definitely Sanderson's anime inspired novel.

Fwiw, Book 2 ditches anime for Mass Effect as its inspiration and the Novellas are more Star Wars inspired than anything.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3742 on: October 18, 2022, 11:42:57 AM »
Ya maybe I should say its YA tropes are ones I am more comfortable with.  You're right about it being very mecha anime-inspired.   

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3743 on: October 19, 2022, 10:59:47 PM »
Didn't like Starsight that much.  Think a large part of that is the first 2/3rd being the same thing as the first just with new characters and less main character growth.  Ending kind of made up for it though. 

Bebpo

« Reply #3744 on: October 22, 2022, 01:38:35 AM »
I finished Discworld #5 - Sourcery. It was ok. I really struggled to get through more than about 20 pages a night because it really wasn't engaging in a similar way to Colour of Magic. But in the end I can't hate on it because Discworld books are all kind of sweet and heartwarming. The ending pages were nice. It didn't help that it was also about 70 pages longer than the previous books.

Checking out the reviews on Goodreads, it's good to see that a lot of people consider it one of the weaker books in the franchise, so next book should be better. Book #6 is Wyrd Sisters and then Book #7 is Pyramids and book #8 is Guards, Guards, Guards. All of which have a good rep.

Some Goodreads review snippits:

This book is widely acknowledged to be a lesser work in the series, and just from the point of view of reading them one after the other, it's probably seen worse because of how great the previous three books are. It's probably still better than The Colour of Magic, but lacks that book's feature of introducing the reader to the Discworld.

The plot overall was a mess. The arch-chancellor's hat... a mess. The towers... a mess. The love triangle (quadrangle when taken as a whole, really)... a mess. The whole armageddon thing... well you get the idea. It's just a bunch of scenes that, if you squint really hard kind of go together, but the overall effect is one of great randomness and poorly-executed ideas.

Sourcery desperately needed more pass-throughs to make it an intelligible book, so what happened? This was Pratchett's first book written after he quit his day job. Did he just not know what to do with himself at this point? Did he struggle to get on track with the two-books-per-year schedule that ran for several years? Was it a deadline from the publisher and/or did Pratchett simply write himself into a corner and was unable to fix this mess in the time available?

It is what it is, and, hey, we still have over three dozen terrific Discworld novels to go back to, so this aberration can be forgiven.

It does seem like a book that would be better on a re-read when you have a full view of the story. One review that gave it 4 stars:

Why did I give this two stars the first time I read it? I have no idea.

I still think the biggest issue with the book is

it opens with the introduction of the Sourcerer Coin's overbearing dad becomes a staff so he can guide Coin, and then you see controlled Coin being a shit the whole book outside a line that he was heard crying in his room until the end stuff and because the book spends zero pages the whole book actually showing Coin's perspective and giving him some/any actual character development, it just doesn't work when he finally gets some in like the end.

There needed to be some scenes throughout showing Coin arguing with his staff dad to build up to the point where he finally says no and defies his staff dad when staff dad wants him to zap Rincewind dead in the finale. The character development is just...missing. Very weird.
[close]

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #3745 on: October 22, 2022, 02:18:33 AM »
My memory of Wyrd Sisters is that it's absolutely hilarious and probably the true introduction to the witches. The interplay between the three leads is comic genius and very, very, very British.

Oh, and Guards, Guards! is also amazingly funny. All of the City Watch books are great because of the characters.

Pyramids is good fun too.

So keen to hear your thoughts on those. It's almost like the real start of Discworld.
Spud

benjipwns

« Reply #3746 on: October 24, 2022, 01:58:13 AM »

This was alright but not too super interesting as it somewhat relies on public news details to explore post-2010 Amazon. Has some behind-the-scenes details about various Amazon endeavors but not too inside detail stuff really, he suggests Amazon intially gave him quite a bit of access and cooperation but then cut him off at some point possibly because of the pandemic making things more difficult rather than anything deliberate to harm the book. One exception would be Bezos, who refused to respond and whose ex-wife wrote an infamous one-star Amazon review of the guys previous book on the first half of the Amazon story, The Everything Store, but he also suggests that this may have just been too late in his asking and also due to the pandemic. Bezos is a weird guy but gets a lot of things right and generally (but not always) admits his failures, a sort of anti-Immelt to compare to another recent book I read. The author starts to paint a picture of Bezos changing in his personal life having an effect on Amazon itself but mostly abandons this and doesn't really get too into it other than noting how Bezos put some of his focus on other stuff like Blue Origin or The Washington Post allowing other people to run stuff at Amazon culminating in Bezos stepping down as CEO to become just Chairman last year. Most detailed part of the book was on the development of Alexa, I was hoping he'd get more into AWS and while he notes its success and importance to the company he mostly ignores anything the company did regarding it other than trying to get a Department of Defense contract it lost to Microsoft, possibly because of Trump's hatred of Bezos, and I wonder if he might not have had the technical chops to ask the company about it being a filthy journalist and the way he uses the "cloud" in his writing as if it's some kind of technomagic.

I liked this but also didn't like parts of this. It's a decent companion to an earlier book I posted, that one analyzed things from the establishment side (i.e. John Boehner, etc.), this one is more the outsiders (Palin or Trump types) and risers who took advantage. The writer is a NYT journalist and MSNBC commentator and I think he's writing for that audience, he says a lot of weird things that seem in that vein of trying not to upset them. He also does that tic I hate, especially in historical works, where he calls random things "historic" or "unprecedented" or says someone is "coming close to crossing the line" or whatever, then goes on to use examples about how actually this stuff is totally normal and goes on all the time. So you get the standard stuff like saying Trump CHANGED EVERYTHING before noting how Pat Buchanan did all the same exact stuff decades earlier and how even MAGA was stolen from Reagan. Then you get even stranger stuff like saying "Newt Gingrich leaned into the dangerous new era with his rhetoric during his presidential campaign" and it's like dude Newt Gingrich built his entire career on red meat for the base and attacking the media! (He never gets around to this other than a hundred pages later mentioning that Gingrich had the House investigate Clinton a lot.) Or stuff like saying "unprecedented ugly attacks" on Obama while both mentioning how Hillary literally personally murdered Vince Foster and not mentioning how Adams said Jefferson was going to rape everyone into atheism. That's unfortunate because the story and presentation of it is otherwise fun even if it jumps around a bit weirdly, I especially like stuff like Trump (or Sarah Palin earlier on) saying random things nobody noticed in say 2011, but now a decade later are hilarious unintentional foreshadowing of history. (One example, Trump apparently tweeted on election night 2012 that "the machines" had stolen the election from Romney, while in the real world he was talking to Roger Stone somewhat accusing Stone of having convinced Trump to "back that loser" when Stone wanted Trump to run against Romney. Also, there's language from a Romney campaign memo about how they convinced Trump to endorse by telling him how big the media attention and crowd of reporters for it would be. Apparently Trump had been offering unsolicited advice to the campaign for some time about the importance of large crowds whenever Romney appeared on TV.) This is also the second book published this year that I've read in recent months that mentions the Trayvon Martin case as an example of something almost entirely unrelated other than how he was Black, gets the legal outcome wrong and then of all the things on the page doesn't have a citation for that. No need to cite obvious things after all.

My favorite story in this I had not seen before: So if you remember, Chris Christie was originally hired by Trump to lead the transition team. Not the worst possible decision in the world considering and Christie does what's normal and makes binders full of candidates for appointments. As is well known, nobody else from the Trump team ever looks at these or goes to any of the transition meetings. Anyway, the day after Trump wins, Steve Bannon realizes somebody should look at these and since he wanted to influence the picks he decides to head down to the room where they were stored in Trump Tower and take a look. So he starts leafing through one of them and realizes, shit, this is a lot of people. Trump will have to appoint thousands directly and at least tens of thousands more indirectly. Bannon decides, well, I don't need to know everything just what interests me, and asks an aide how many people Trump will appoint to just the main national security team for example. He gets the answer and goes "Ninety?!? We don't know ninety people!" This is when Trump fires Christie and puts Mike Pence and Jeff Sessions in charge of it. :lol

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3747 on: October 24, 2022, 10:45:52 PM »
Finally finished Feed -- think I listed to 6 audio books in between the time I started and finished it.  I liked it but it's a unique book and slow for a good majority.  The story doesn't feel like it starts until 2/3rd of the way through and before that, it's very much like a slice-of-life book about being a blogger in a post-zombie world.  Will read the next one at some point because the story gets pretty good at the end.  I also really liked most of the characters. 

Bebpo

« Reply #3748 on: October 25, 2022, 03:08:59 AM »
After a few more Asimov short stories, his writing style just isn't clicking with me so I'm bailing.

Was going to read Stephen King's Revival next and started it, but I'm towards the end of a few other things right now and don't really feel like starting a long book from scratch. So I might read Skyward #3 or Abercrombie's Best Served Cold since I'm already invested in those worlds.

The final Mistborn Series 2 book comes out in about 20 days, so probably just have time for one more full length book before that. Not sure if I want to go Sanderson -> Sanderson which is why I was thinking of reading Revival. I dunno I'll give it like 50 pages and see if I get into it. Fell asleep like 15 pages in last night.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3749 on: October 25, 2022, 09:07:15 AM »
I'm listening to Skyward #3 now -- can't say I actually like it.  About 3 hours in.

Bebpo

« Reply #3750 on: October 25, 2022, 01:27:30 PM »
I'm listening to Skyward #3 now -- can't say I actually like it.  About 3 hours in.

Yeah, I've read some opinions by both Skyward fans and Sanderson fans that didn't enjoy it much.

I'm guessing you skipped the Novellas that take place before it? I feel like they're not only good but pretty important.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3751 on: October 25, 2022, 04:12:04 PM »
Ya skipped those

Bebpo

« Reply #3752 on: October 25, 2022, 05:49:37 PM »
Ah, well I’d recommend them. Sanderson likes to write these .5 novellas that are meant to go before the next books.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3753 on: October 25, 2022, 09:18:21 PM »
After a few more Asimov short stories, his writing style just isn't clicking with me so I'm bailing.

Was going to read Stephen King's Revival next and started it, but I'm towards the end of a few other things right now and don't really feel like starting a long book from scratch. So I might read Skyward #3 or Abercrombie's Best Served Cold since I'm already invested in those worlds.

The final Mistborn Series 2 book comes out in about 20 days, so probably just have time for one more full length book before that. Not sure if I want to go Sanderson -> Sanderson which is why I was thinking of reading Revival. I dunno I'll give it like 50 pages and see if I get into it. Fell asleep like 15 pages in last night.

Best Served Cold was my first Abercrombie book, and I absolutely loved it. It’s a little bit like Kill Bill reimagined through The Black Company lens.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3754 on: October 25, 2022, 11:24:15 PM »
Wait you red them out of order?

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3755 on: October 26, 2022, 07:45:35 PM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3756 on: October 27, 2022, 02:27:17 AM »
Wait you red them out of order?
Yes. I read several Abercrombie books that were one-offs prior to reading his trilogy.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3757 on: October 27, 2022, 08:15:39 PM »
I'm 1/3 through Between Two Fires by Christopher Buehlman.  This book comes up a lot in recommendations for things like Dark Souls and Beserk, and it's a good fit.  Set in the 1300's France during the Black Death, which, from the prologue we know was sent by Satan to test God's ability to defend mankind. 

It's also free on Audible Plus, and the author has done a full reading on youtube but the audio quality is a bit rough 

« Last Edit: October 27, 2022, 08:21:40 PM by Madrun Badrun »

Bebpo

« Reply #3758 on: October 28, 2022, 11:07:18 PM »
The epilogue for His Dark Materials is taking me a bit to get through because it's so boooooring. The Amber Spyglass is a pretty huge downgrade from books 1 & 2 in this trilogy. There's lots of good stuff, but there's a whole ton of dull stuff and almost 100% of it takes place in the animals on wheels world. I hope they cut all that out of the show. Really hurts an otherwise great trilogy.

Things in book #3 that were good:

-Will vs Yorick
-The little spy people  that ride on dragonflies
-The land of the dead
-The final battle of Azreal and everyone vs metatron
[close]

Things that were bad
-Everything with these talking animals on wheels and mary malone and the priest guy going after her.
-The book is called The Amber Spyglass, yet the spyglass didn't seem very important? Oh yay, it lets Mary Malone see Dust. Whereas The Subtle Knife was super important.
-This epilogue of Will and Lyra falling in love and having to split up apart and omggg it is so YA and drags out. I don't think book 1 was that YA, book 2 I wouldn't call YA at all and it was pretty dark and badass, book 3 feels a lot more YA.
[close]

Book 2 worked by having a non-Lyra PoV with Lee Scoresby because he was awesome. Book 3's non-Lyra PoV with Dr. Malone is awful so it's like you get some good chapters and then you get a boring Malone chapter that you gotta push through and then back to the good PoVs. Its what happens when you have multiple PoV characters and some of them kinda suck and drag the book down.

Bebpo

« Reply #3759 on: October 29, 2022, 05:15:56 PM »
Ok, finished His Dark Materials trilogy. The last few ending scenes were good. Not sure if I'll read/listen to the spinoffs. Depends on if they're closer to the style of the first two books or this third one.

Definitely interested in checking out the TV adaptation now though.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3760 on: October 31, 2022, 12:42:15 AM »
Yeah, I felt the same way about the books. Wheel World - - OK, I get it. I got it several dozen pages ago. Can we move on? And then the denouement seems to drag. It's a good read, let down by some fumbling in the final bit. Still worth reading.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3761 on: October 31, 2022, 05:44:11 PM »
https://www.audible.com/ep/monster-sale
sale

:edit  ended up getting Conspiracy Against the Human Race and The Grey Bastards
« Last Edit: October 31, 2022, 09:17:21 PM by Madrun Badrun »

Bebpo

« Reply #3762 on: November 01, 2022, 12:50:18 PM »
Dang, having just finished this book, this trailer looks like a great adaptation of The Amber Spyglass. The angels look cooler than I expected for TV budget (even if it's HBO TV budget).

Also, pretty sure I didn't see any wheel riding animals in there. So maybe they will cut the boring stuff.

Just started on S1, should be caught up by the time this airs in a month.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2022, 01:29:53 PM by Bebpo »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3763 on: November 02, 2022, 11:52:22 AM »
Between Two Fires was exceptional.  Highly recommend.  It's got Dark Souls and Beserks themes and the plot is similar to the first five seasons of Supernatural but set in 1300's France and done with gravity and actual horror. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3764 on: November 02, 2022, 11:54:38 AM »
Ah, well I’d recommend them. Sanderson likes to write these .5 novellas that are meant to go before the next books.

Missed this.  Might read them if they go on sale.  But it will be out of order now. 

Bebpo

« Reply #3765 on: November 02, 2022, 12:35:24 PM »
I'm almost done with Stephen King's Revival. I'm reading it because I heard it's the coolest book King has written in the last decade (it's 2014), and yeah, so far it's really fun and wild. Heard about it from recently when the King podcast did an interview with King and apparently they went into the ending of Revival because it's "so crazy" or something.

Even as a huge Stephen King fan I've barely touched his post-accident 2004+ stuff. I've read almost all his pre-accident stories since I grew up on them, but I think the only post-accident King I've read are the final three Dark Tower books and Dr. Sleep and now Revival. His books are so fucking long now, but Revival isn't bad at 400 pages although it covers a lot of time and reminds me of IT a bit in that way.

After I finish Revival, I think I'll just get back to catching up on One Piece since the final Mistborn book is only 13 days away and gonna read that day 1 so don't want to be in the middle of anything.

Between Two Fires was exceptional.  Highly recommend.  It's got Dark Souls and Beserks themes and the plot is similar to the first five seasons of Supernatural but set in 1300's France and done with gravity and actual horror.

Yeah, this sounds up my alley. Will give this a read.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3766 on: November 02, 2022, 08:59:38 PM »
Listening to Paperbacks from Hell.  It's got some good summaries:

In Blood Worm (1987), the main character’s wife sleeps with an
enormous number of men during the worm-and beetle apocalypse and then leaves a note for her
husband saying she’s a slut and, by the way, their daughter is missing. She immediately becomes
an alcoholic hobo and is last seen stumbling around the ruins of London, which has been
abandoned to the inevitable postapocalyptic motorcycle gangs.

Brotherkind (1987) starts as your typical abduction story, with Sheila gangbanged on a UFO by a bunch of
midget aliens who must use the power of their collective semen to overcome her DNA’s natural
resistance. Also, Bigfoot joins in because he was hitching a lift.

The horror woman has a willowy, athletic figure with dynamite legs. Contrary to expectations, she
is often flat-chested (with notable exceptions). She comes in two flavors: either dreamy and
artistic, in which case she is given to precognitive dreams, shivers, and a sense that this place is
pervaded by an indefinable evil; or practical and hardheaded, ready to sacrifice herself by
performing an ancient ritual to save the world or racing into danger to save either her beloved
man or child. The most expressive parts of her body are her nipples. They noticeably harden,
when she is aroused, surprised, confused, or meeting new people. They are practically prehensile
tentacles, capable of lengthening, thickening, unfurling, budding, flaring, and swelling. If she’s
nice, she’s blonde, or maybe brunette. If she likes sex too much, her hair is red. Her eyes are
almost always green, occasionally gray.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2022, 09:35:37 PM by Madrun Badrun »

Bebpo

« Reply #3767 on: November 03, 2022, 04:49:07 PM »
Finished King's Revival. Was a good book, with good characters and an enjoyable journey but ending was just alright and the whole book was kind of a build up for the reveal which is like the last 15 pages. It's hard to live up to that and close it out in a satisfying way when you write a story that way.

The ending wasn't bad, but it's just kind of derivative though it's meant to be homage.

Also I didn't find this book scary at all. In fact until the end stuff I felt this was more a character drama non-horror book. Maybe I'm just desensitized to horror at this point. Some people say this book is really scary but I don't see that at all. Even the end stuff,

Lovecraftian world of Elder Gods and naked dead people in a line with giant ant overseers....is kind of silly and not scary at all imagery /shrug
[close]

I still really enjoyed the book though. Great read. Stephen King's never really been great at sticking the landings and that's ok because the books are entertaining. Despite a lot of people hating the last few Dark Tower books, thinking back I think it's probably my favorite Stephen King ending and the most satisfying. Which is funny because he wrote himself into a corner there with having to explain basically THE MYSTERY OF THE UNIVERSE AND LIFE ITSELF and you're like there's no way he can come up with a satisfying reveal to that question, and so

Dark Tower ending spoilers
he just dodges that question and makes Roland stuck in an eternal time loop of misery
[close]

And I found that worked and was pretty satisfying and conclusionary and my favorite King ending.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3768 on: November 06, 2022, 08:54:53 AM »
Cytonic was bad.  It does the whole Spensa goes to a new place and needs to make friends, now for a third time in three books.  It is essentially just a training montage that purposefully delays the progress of the book until 3/4 in when it's like welp I guess it's time to do the thing we have been avoiding.  The losing memory aspect just seems to be a cover for characters to act weird and delay the information plot until the end instead of actually being meaningful.  Also because it relies on the rule of cool a bit too much it feels more young-adulty compared to the other two. 

Goodreads has me at 40 books this year so far.

Bebpo

« Reply #3769 on: November 06, 2022, 10:25:14 AM »
That's a bummer. Sanderson does occasionally write a weak book. I thought Mistborn series 2, book 2 was bad and the latest Stormlight Archives book 4 was kinda weak. Hopefully he turns it around in the final book.

I'll probably read Cytonic early next year. Hopefully I'll like it a bit more.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3770 on: November 06, 2022, 11:10:00 AM »
Ya, it's kind of muted my interest in the series but will read the next one.  It's not like it doesn't progress the series narrative, it just delays doing so until right at the end of the book.  A good way of describing it would be a season of a CW show where the whole thing could really just be the last two episodes. 

Bebpo

« Reply #3771 on: November 06, 2022, 11:51:28 AM »
Ya, it's kind of muted my interest in the series but will read the next one.  It's not like it doesn't progress the series narrative, it just delays doing so until right at the end of the book.  A good way of describing it would be a season of a CW show where the whole thing could really just be the last two episodes.

That's what I've heard.

Which is interesting because the Novellas have more moving forward plot development for the series than the entirety of books 1 & 2. The novellas are running parallel to Cytonic.

My understanding without looking into spoilers is that:

Timeline:
Skyward 1
Skyward 2
Skyward Flight trilogy dealing with the politics, world building and side character and main plot progression following Skyward 2   / Cytonic dealing with Spensa side adventure in the nowhere
then the final book will pick up from where those two books merge into a finale

In that case I think Cytonic probably works better in the whole, but yeah without the Novellas you're only getting the side adventure and not the plot progression after Skyward 2.

It's a lot different than Stormlight novellas which are more side adventures filling with a small bit of plot. With the Skyward novellas, it's pretty damn progression heavy. The difference in the Skyward Flight group's position in the universe at the start of the novellas (After Starsight) and the end is like ...insane.

benjipwns

« Reply #3772 on: November 11, 2022, 08:34:35 PM »

Steve Jobs dies and Tim Apple takes over and Jony Ive gets bored. All while Apple makes more money than ever. The main theme is replacing Jobs, which Apple decides to not even attempt, and the main thing is the development of the Apple Watch. Book basically ignores stuff like the App Store until suddenly Tim Apple discovers there's a whole bunch of money there late in the book. (I'm going to assume he actually knew this before.) Nothing really too crazy since Apple doesn't let anybody talk to anybody, minor drama around a few things, biggest "fun" point is when another top level executive tells another one he can't even figure out the purpose of the Apple Watch or why anyone would want to buy it other than it's an Apple product. Tim Apple and Ive wisely ignore this although it's not the iPod level hit that some expected. Most important fact from this book: Steve Jobs collected a symbolic one dollar a year salary from Apple but he swiped his employee badge to "buy" lunch for himself and other people in the cafeteria and loved that he didn't know how it got paid.

Anyway, good news, since somebody is back:
https://twitter.com/reaIstevejob/status/1590486756201488384

Ray Scott seems like a cool dude but this is pretty boring once he gets to the NBA. He just skims over his career, tells you what happened which like you could find out anywhere (Pistons won 50 games and he won Coach of the Year one time) and rarely gives any inside details or anything. I don't blame Scott but his editors and Rosen allowed a bunch of wrong stuff to get in the book, dates are completely off, the timeline is chronological but jumps back and forth. Magic is in the NBA, now suddenly he's in high school and Scott wants to schedule a college game against him, that kind of thing happens. Also, he takes shots at Shaq which I know, absolutely know, come from Rosen because I used to read Rosen back in the day. I'm sure Scott agrees with the general jist, he later laments the modern NBA's interest in the three pointer and other things, but it's definitely Rosen's "Shaq has no talent period and he's just a big bully" crap when Shaq is one of the most nimble and best ballhandlers of bigs including people smaller than him. The guy used how many possessions but rarely ever turned it over for a big let alone one using that many possessions! These dudes seriously want to say Shaq could demolish Tim Duncan during Duncan's peak while being a no-talent hack? This is the same stuff you complain people say about Wilt, guys, and you rightly object then!

Bebpo

« Reply #3773 on: November 15, 2022, 02:24:25 PM »
Every month or two I check Sanderson's website progress bars to see how Stormlight 5 is coming along. I think last time I checked two months ago it was at 13% for first draft completion (and he started in like January 2022), and now it's 17% completion. This book is still so far away. I hope he makes fall 2024 but I'm expecting 2025 at this rate.

https://www.brandonsanderson.com/

Getting The Lost Metal day. I hope it's good and I hope it has some real substantial Cosmere lore drops to hold over for the next two year+ wait until Stormlight 5.

I know we're getting three Cosmere books in 2023 from the kickstarter project, but while I'm looking forward to those, I don't expect them to substantially move the overall Cosmere lore narrative like Lost Metal and Stormlight 5 should be doing. But maybe they will, who knows. I really liked his Cosmere novellas and I'm expecting the secret projects to be more like those but novel-length.

I just really want Stormlight 5 to be good and for him not to fuck it up. It's so hard for author's to close out their epic stories satisfyingly and there's so many characters and plotlines built up in Stormlight, it has a lot to pull off.

Plus if you've read Stormlight 4 (book spoilers for that)
Setting up the Stormlight finale as taking place entirely over a 9 day period, already feels like he's writing himself into a limiting corner which will be hard to pull off for a 1,000 page+ book.
[close]

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3774 on: November 19, 2022, 07:10:07 PM »
Just finished The Lesser Dead by Christopher Buehlman.  It's from the POV of a vampire who lives in a colony under the subway in NY 1978 and finds a bunch of children who have been abused and turned into vampires.  The first half kind of feels like light horror and maybe more urban fantasy and then the ending is vicious.  I kind of want to read it again right now. 

He also narrates it and it is honestly on par with James Marsters's Dresden narrations.  Between this, Black Tounge Thief and especially Between Two Fires, I think he's becoming one of my favourite authors.  Also every book is so different from the other.

Like Between Two Fires, it's free on audible plus.  Also apparently it's being made into a radio drama with Minnie Driver  https://deadline.com/2022/01/minnie-driver-scripted-supernatural-podcast-the-lesser-dead-echoverse-1234912148/

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3775 on: November 25, 2022, 12:14:21 AM »
Listened to three Grady Hendrix books:  Horrorstor was bad.  Paperbacks from Hell was fun and interesting. My Best Friend's Exorcism was great.  If you like Stanger Things, you'd like this. 

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #3776 on: November 29, 2022, 04:29:11 PM »
Recently finished
  • Middlegame by Seanan McGuire
  • Hammers on Bone by Cassandra Khaw
Middlegame was very slow to start but got better by the end. Typical tor.com urban science fantasy stuff. First time I've read Seanan McGuire, heard lots of good things, but I find her style very pretentious.

Hammers on Bone was a Lovecraft inspired noir. It was great. Khaw has a really good grasp of language and that came through in the time and feel. Highly recommended of you like Lovecraft and mild body horror stuff.
Spud

Bebpo

« Reply #3777 on: December 04, 2022, 02:32:55 PM »
Alright, I need to cancel audible again. Last time they reeled me back in with 1/2 price for 3 months and $8.50 a book ain't bad for audiobooks.

Gotta spend my credits before I cancel. Got like 3 credits left and already have Sandman Act III in my backlog. I thought about getting some of the His Dark Materials novellas but sorry, $8.50 credit for a 45 min novella...no thnx. Gotta get my money's worth.

I'm thinking Dresden files book #1...and not sure what else. Madrun, out of all the stuff you've been listening to, what's the best 2-3 you'd recommend lately?

Also I'm about 2/3rds through Mistborn S2E4 - The Lost Metal and IDK. Going to be very curious to see what Sanderson Cosmere era thinks about this one once I finish it. It's entertaining but for a series finale in a Cosmere entry it's...weirdly low stakes street level. It feels like Mistborn 2's Books 1-3 were a proper trilogy with Book #3 The Bands of Mourning being the great epic adventure conclusion to it all and one of my favorite Sanderson books and then this is like...the years later one-shot epilogue story. It has a lot of Cosmere stuff but it just feels really low key so far. Feels closer to a book #1 than a finale. Should get to the finale pretty soon and will be interesting to see if this ratchets up in the end. I guess coming from Stormlight #4 which is building up to very epic shit, I was really expecting Mistborn S2E4 to be off the hook crazy finale on the level of Stormlight or the final Mistborn S1 book The Hero of Ages, but...it really isn't so far.

Also I can't tell if it's because during the gap between Rhythm of War and Lost Metal that I've read a lot of of other fantasy authors like Abercrombie and Wheel of Time #1 and a lot of Gaiman and a lot of others, but I'm finding the writing in Lost Metal pretty plain. Like even Skyward and Starsight which were written very recently by Sanderson felt more alive with energy and flavor than this book so far. And The Lost Metal probably had the longest editing/feedback process of any of his books since he finished it a year and a half ago and its just been sitting going through revisions. IDK.

Just makes me feel like I need Stormlight #5 even more haha. I think I'm going to do a full series re-read leading up to that one. Even though it's only been like three years since I read The Bands of Mourning, I'm surprised how many of the smaller stuff I'd forgotten. Probably should've re-read Mistborn 2 books before reading this one.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3778 on: December 04, 2022, 02:36:36 PM »
Think my top recently are Lesser Dead, Between Two Fires (both free on audible+ so maybe don't do credits), and We Are Legion.  Dresden is great, but only becomes so 2.5 books in.

Didn't listen to it, but hear the audio is great for Black Tongue Thief. 
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 02:40:45 PM by Madrun Badrun »

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #3779 on: December 04, 2022, 02:38:07 PM »
I really enjoyed the Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell audio book of you haven't listened to that one.
Spud