Author Topic: What book(s) are you reading?  (Read 670152 times)

Bebpo

Re: What book(s) are you reading?
« Reply #3780 on: December 04, 2022, 02:56:39 PM »
Think my top recently are Lesser Dead, Between Two Fires (both free on audible+ so maybe don't do credits), and We Are Legion.  Dresden is great, but only becomes so 2.5 books in.

Didn't listen to it, but hear the audio is great for Black Tongue Thief.

Yeah, free ones don't help haha. I gotta spend these credits. I'll come back to audible when I'm caught up on my audiobooks and then can listen to free stuff. Haven't been listening to audiobooks for the last few weeks since I finished His Dark Materials #3. At least my backlog right now is only 1 book with Sandman Act III and then it'll be whatever I buy with these 3 credits.

Going to grab We Are Legion and Dresden (yeah I know it takes a while but I'm still going to start with book 1). So just have one credit left.

I really enjoyed the Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell audio book of you haven't listened to that one.

I both got 1/4th into the actual physical book of this and I bought the BBC show adaptation and watched the first ep or two which covered what I'd read.

At some point I do plan to finish the book and the show. It's just a very long book and kind of dry (but good!).

Bebpo

« Reply #3781 on: December 04, 2022, 03:13:08 PM »
Maybe I'll grab Black Tongue Thief. I'd get Murderbot #1, but I'm not huge on Sci-fi these days and We Are Legion will be enough Sci-fi for me.

Also not sure I wanna start another fantasy series though (beyond Dresden). Would be nice if there was a one off good horror book I haven't read. Maybe I should grab a recent Stephen King book that people like.

Bebpo

« Reply #3782 on: December 04, 2022, 03:18:05 PM »
Actually, maybe I'll finally check out McCarthy's Blood Meridian that everyone always name drops (I've read some of his other stuff, but not this one). Looking it up people like the audiobook narrator and it's not too insanely long.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3783 on: December 04, 2022, 03:21:28 PM »
Murderbot novellas are short and need to be read first.  They go on sale though.  Blood Meridian is amazing, I assume that the audio might make it significantly easier to read, since it was written without punctuation. 

Bebpo

« Reply #3784 on: December 04, 2022, 03:37:25 PM »
Murderbot novellas are short and need to be read first.  They go on sale though.  Blood Meridian is amazing, I assume that the audio might make it significantly easier to read, since it was written without punctuation.

:cry

whyyyy

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #3785 on: December 04, 2022, 05:29:50 PM »
Everything murderbot is awesome.

Jonathan Strange BBC adaptation wasn't my cup of tea. Audio book version was though
Spud

Bebpo

« Reply #3786 on: December 04, 2022, 07:02:31 PM »
What's the starting point for Murderbot? Which is the first novella?

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3787 on: December 04, 2022, 07:09:49 PM »
All Systems Red
Artificial Condition
Rogue Protocol
Exit Strategy
Network Effect (novel)
Fugitive Telemetry

Bebpo

« Reply #3788 on: December 04, 2022, 07:37:30 PM »
All Systems Red
Artificial Condition
Rogue Protocol
Exit Strategy
Network Effect (novel)
Fugitive Telemetry

Is that an order from top to bottom?

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3789 on: December 04, 2022, 07:40:08 PM »
Ya sorry, should have numbered. 

Bebpo

« Reply #3790 on: December 04, 2022, 08:05:33 PM »
All good. Will give the first one a read.

archnemesis

« Reply #3791 on: December 05, 2022, 02:29:33 AM »
I picked up both Network Effect and Fugitive Telemetry from the local library. They're as great as the earlier books.

I'm also reading Deep Work by Cal Newport. It's so heavily quoted that it feels like I've read it before.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #3792 on: December 05, 2022, 06:30:12 AM »
Reading the Prose Edda since I'm playing GOW Ragnarok. Tried reading the poetic one first but that one already expects you to have a base understanding of most of the myths/characters.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #3793 on: December 19, 2022, 12:26:42 AM »

First of two books I have on that time China lost its fucking mind and Mao was totally cool with it because he found it amusing. Before Xi's recent crack down China had opened up more of its archives regarding the period and so lots of new accounts were available to researchers, especially outsiders. (Xi does not yet seem to be interested in stopping criticism of the period, which he personally suffered during, so this may continue. [original research?]) Both this book and the later one focused on getting access to more personal records like diaries and so on and wanted to try to describe what happened outside of simply intrigue and events in Beijing and the inner circle of The Party. Book is a good example of Stalin's maxim that "one death is a tragedy, one million deaths is a statistic" as just saying that 1/8th or more of the population was directly oppressed during this period really downplays the abject insanity and outright cruelty done in the name of stamping out capitalist roaders inside The Party itself. Also, although the author doesn't say it because you can never say it in academia, the book outlines how the savior to the madness was (surprise) capitalism filling the gaps. Turns out that ignoring the state and trying to make sure everybody has enough to eat sometimes actually convinces the state to leave you alone even in a totalitarian regime hellbent on deliberately being insane. (The other book, which I am on now, specifically suggests a different thesis from this one (at least according to the translators) but I'm not sure it will actually disagree and is instead splitting hairs about the "winner" of events. This one pretty clearly says Deng basically won in the end, it's saying it's not necessarily because of anything he did deliberately.) Of the two books, this is definitely the shorter one and probably more friendly language one (it's not translated from Chinese after all), the guy is sometimes sarcastic and facetious about the accusations leveled during the period that lifelong party members who had been on the Long March were secretly capitalists the entire time. One criticism? He uses British slang like "punters" which I manage to understand because I read Edge back in the day but I still hate that word and refuse on principle to find out how it came to mean shoppers. On a more personal level, while we can never truly know how we'll act in the moment until the moment I'm going to warn you all that when the Next Cultural Revolution comes to The Bire I'm going to be really fucking annoying about it rather than comply to show my loyalty to The Party like the first teachers did in China. Very much do not plan on beating the dead bodies of my colleagues you just tortured to death or whatever to show you I'm not a counter-revolutionary too.

That time a member of the media helped deceive America into a military conflict. (What's that? More than once? Are you sure?) A compulsive liar and con man essentially works his way into the media as the result of schemes to cover up his past. Rather than simply stop lying he decides that since it's worked so well so far to keep lying and things escalate. At some point a bunch of powerful people decide that "hey, this guy really knows what he's talking about" and one thing leads to another leads to millions of Americans are enslaved, imprisoned or dead. Obviously we shouldn't let people like Woodrow Wilson off the hook, he wasn't deceived really, he was being told what he wanted to hear. I know I'm being harsh but personally I think the President should make decisions about war based on a bit more than some random dude whose past nobody can find out (because he's a fictious person) in Rhode Island telling him he agrees it's a good idea and that he has supporting evidence in a bunch of events that nobody else can confirm even happened. Worst part is the author keeps referring to the 2016 election and Russia, even opening the book with how 2016 wasn't the "first time a foreign country tried to influence Americans." Which, no fucking shit, dummy. The Monroe Doctrine wasn't a literal wall built in the sea. Also, the irony of the whole book is that there's a much more obvious parallel sitting right there that should seem totally inescapable, especially for someone who is himself a journalist. A fraudster with no worthwhile credentials and no shame about lying for personal gain including trying to conceal his past completely? A reporter who "reports" with zero care for accuracy only whether or not the sensation can bring him personal acclaim? A public devotion to a phony "cause" in which he humbly (through sheer good standard journalism) fights, nearly alone, against a powerful international conspiracy to undermine democracy with disinformation? A willingness to work with other fraudsters, discredited officials and outright no goods who will use any means necessary in the name of this cause? John R. Rathom was a Blue Check.

Disclaimer: I have worked with and otherwise support the Innocence Project, I thought the guys name was familiar when I picked this up but it wasn't until I actually went to read it that I discovered he's some hot shot big wig lawyer guy at it, so disclaimer. Basically is what it says on the tin, it's about bad science in convicting people especially innocent people of crimes in the United States. All of which is admissible in court for the reason that it was admissible previously no matter how awful it is. I'll stress, especially after I peeked at the negative reviews, that this is not 10 Junk Science Things That Totally Suck as the guy is a lawyer not a scientist of any kind and it focuses primarily on bite marks. The framing is three specific cases (with mentions of a few others) that the Innocence Project successfully managed to free innocent people on with only minor contention by the state compared to normal. If you're not aware, the United States justice system operates on the principle of "finality" and that once a verdict is issued you are not to reopen it and the state should fight with every means to ever free anyone convicted of anything. Surprisingly, Texas is actually one of the better states about this as you can not only challenge the science that convicted you under habeas corpus (no guarantee of success of course, it's the state after all) it's also one of the few states that actually awards compensation to innocent people convicted of crimes who serve time in prison (again no guarantees but other states won't give you shit) and some of these awards can actually be quite large. That said, the book does document former Governor Rick Perry bragging about killing an innocent man because he was a "monster" despite not actually killing his children and then shutting down a state investigatory commission (that has since been revived and doing good work) so it wouldn't harm his Presidential bid in 2012. Also, from experience I think the book (which admittingly is not in its purview of "junk science" although I'd argue...) somewhat downplays some of the absolute complete shit prosecutors do to mislead juries. But again, it does mention the unindicted co-ejaculator theory so that's always fun and I can't complain really.

Lastly, because Goodreads had a thing (it's where I steal these covers from) I have read 45 books for the year not counting comics (I only log the actual physical TPBs I've read) and will get to at least 46 maybe 47. No idea if this is normal or not, one of my friends did their pledge thing and wanted to read 12 books for the year, they logged... 2. (I think they just forgot to keep going on Goodreads, 12 seems reasonable based on their past years. Still a win in a contest I didn't enter by the two sweetest words in the English language: DEE FAULT!)

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #3794 on: December 19, 2022, 12:43:40 AM »
On a more personal level, while we can never truly know how we'll act in the moment until the moment I'm going to warn you all that when the Next Cultural Revolution comes to The Bire I'm going to be really fucking annoying about it rather than comply to show my loyalty to The Party like the first teachers did in China. Very much do not plan on beating the dead bodies of my colleagues you just tortured to death or whatever to show you I'm not a counter-revolutionary too.
Is this a subtle reference to the fact that we just passed the 12 month anniversary of "The (failed) Great (Rumbler) Purge"?
Spud

benjipwns

« Reply #3795 on: December 19, 2022, 02:31:25 AM »
Ah, no, I was more referring to that revolution I'm always being promised is right around the corner. For the record, I like Rumblar and think he just made an impulsive mistake.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #3796 on: December 19, 2022, 05:44:04 AM »
Just finished this - Made Things by Adrian Tchaikovsky.

Nice little fantasy story. Well written and entertaining.

Planned to read 20 books this year. I just hit 7.

Last year I did 14 and in 2020 I made it to 20. My average is usually around 15. A bit disappointed in myself.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 05:52:22 AM by Potato »
Spud

archnemesis

« Reply #3797 on: December 19, 2022, 07:32:40 AM »
I started keeping a list of books read this year. That helps with motivation. I'll post it at the end of the year (I'm at 22 currently).

Children of Time was great and I've been meaning to read more by Tchaikovsky.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #3798 on: December 19, 2022, 01:55:21 PM »
Good Reads helps with that
Spud

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3799 on: December 23, 2022, 01:48:48 PM »
Fantasticland:  basically Lord of Flies but with 20 yearolds taking place in an amusement park after a hurricane.  The first half was very good and does a wonderful job of setting up how things go to shit so fast and then the last half is just a milquetoast borefeast. 

Bebpo

« Reply #3800 on: December 25, 2022, 01:24:04 PM »
Been reading a few game books lately. About the only non-fiction I read.

Resident Evil by Philip J. Reed in the Boss Fight Books series - This was a mostly fun read. I was wondering how someone would be able to write a 170 page book on Resident Evil 1 without it dragging but Reed's an entertaining writing and at least 75% of the book is a fun read. Has some nice breakdowns of scene, story and gameplay composition. Some interesting stories about the behind the scenes from the live-action non-Japanese actors, has a lot of humorous trolling of the dialogue. The book's weaknesses is mostly in that Reed, likely because of the language barrier, didn't interview anyone Japanese. Which completely ignores you know, every person involved in making the game outside the actors, English VAs and localization people. This seems like a huge oversight and it would've helped justify the page length. It does drag a bit towards the end, but overall it's short enough that if you like Resident Evil 1 it's worth a read.

A Profound Waste of Time #1 may be the greatest single volume discourse on videogames I've ever read. It's a beautiful book with amazing print quality. The articles are all fantastic by interesting game devs, journalists, actors, etc.. the art is great and really pops out as well. The Mugen Lynx paper is super nice. Great length too at almost 200 pages. This is a perfect book if there ever was one. If you've ever wanted a book on videogames and videogame development for adults, this is the one to get. Will probably gift people copies of this over the years. Great cover too.

*edit* Actually, I looked into picking up a gift copy and I see these things are sold out and it's tough for the creator to do reprints outside kickstarters every year or two or three. Will have to keep an eye out for the next kickstarter in 2-3 years and pick up some gift copies then. Sucks this stuff isn't more readily accessible. Reading the creator's comments, they may have some extras from this Issue 1/2 reprint they are doing in January to sell on the main website. I signed up for their newsletter so will keep an eye out.

On the contrast,

Lock On #1 was...eh. Whereas APWOT featured writers who had interesting things to say, this issue feels like an Era thread or any message board and every article is by a fan just writing about a game they liked. A lot of the articles are poorly written and some have questionable takes (there's an article on why game remakes & remasters are bad because they take away from devs creating new experiences and that we should just all be happy to track down and play games on original hardware, which had me roll my eyes almost out of my head). Half of the articles on games spend the whole article just describing the game without actually saying anything about it! On top of that the art generally feels like the fanart you find on pininterest and stuff. And most of all the feel and print of the book is terrible. The type of paper they use combined with the fonts and color backgrounds for the pages are really badly designed. I read at night in bed and the nightstand lamp creates a light reflection on the gloss of the pages making it unreadable, so I have to try to have the light be offset and then it's just hard to read with the small fonts. Almost feels like it was made as a digital magazine first or at least the priority was there. Unfortunately I flipped through the latter issues of Lost in Cult to see if they became aware of this issue with the paper gloss and fonts and ever fixed it, but nope. Even issue #4 still feels and looks the same. Print quality sucks imo. Basically between the writing, the art and the build quality, Lost in Cult feels like a really amateur fanzine. Hoping at least the writing is curated better in the later volumes.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2022, 09:09:46 PM by Bebpo »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3801 on: December 25, 2022, 01:31:00 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09LRXBPTF

Skyward Flight: The Collection: Sunreach, ReDawn, Evershore (The Skyward Series)  for 3$

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #3802 on: December 25, 2022, 08:53:39 PM »

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/53265678-when-the-tiger-came-down-the-mountain

When the tiger came down the mountain by Nghi Vo.

Stories about telling stories usually leave me flat, but this was pretty good because there was genuine tension in both of the parallel stories being told.

I enjoyed the first book in the series and I'm glad I picked up the second because it was even better.

I really like that tordotcom publish lots of fantasy that exists outside the standard mediaeval Europe/Tolkien worship. It's nice to go into these types of stories and not quite understand how the world functions. Feels like discovering something new.

These books are novella length, so are a nice easy read for Christmas if anyone is looking for something that can be started and finished in one day.
Spud

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #3803 on: December 31, 2022, 01:48:31 AM »
Finished my 10th book for the year to get to 50% of my goal. 2022 was a busy year, so I'm not that disappointed, but I'm planning to get closer next year.

Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire. Another tordotcom novella with all that description entails. Lots of LGBT characters that often feel shoehorned in to meet a quota or specific expectation. However, the world-building was excellent.

plot discussion
While McGuire is a competent writer I don't think she really knows how to structure a murder mystery and the revelation just left me cold. No breadcrumbs, no hints, just a pretty cold reveal.
[close]

I got the whole series for free via TOR's newsletter, and they're short books, so I'll probably read the rest of the series, but it wouldn't be high on my recommendations list.

Apparently, this series has been picked up by Paramount+ which I think would make for a great teen/CW-style series if they get the casting right and a good showrunner who can develop the story beats a little better.
Spud

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3804 on: December 31, 2022, 08:59:02 AM »
Sunreach 3/5, ReDawn 4/5 and should have been the third novel, Evershore 3/5 shit is getting anime dumb.

Got 52 books done this year.  Might be 53 if I finish listening to The Black Echo today. 

Bebpo

« Reply #3805 on: December 31, 2022, 02:03:31 PM »
Sunreach 3/5, ReDawn 4/5 and should have been the third novel, Evershore 3/5 shit is getting anime dumb.

Got 52 books done this year.  Might be 53 if I finish listening to The Black Echo today.

Yeah, ReDawn was the great one.

Haha, I don't think it's dumb, but the series power levels are off the fucking charts by the end of Evershore and it's super anime for sure.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Going from the start of the novellas as weak space humans with no powers and just top gun ships to being able to instantly teleport around the universe at any moment and telepathically communicate with everyone sure was something.
[close]

I think it'll be a real challenge making the scenarios work in book #4 given the power levels now. Also apparently Janci is going to write a sequel series after it's done, which sounds good to me because I thought these novellas were just as good or better as the mainline books.

Also Sanderson has always been anime. Mistborn #1 starts as anime Star Wars, Stormlight is anime Marvel, etc...If you look at his top10 games lists, dude loves his Final Fantasy and Dark Souls and skews heavy on Japanese gaming tastes and lived in Korea for a bit in his younger years. But that's part of what appeals to me is the sci-fi/fantasy x anime leanings. He'd probably be the best author for adapting Xenogears tbh though Chu-Chu probably wouldn't get crucified.

Bebpo

« Reply #3806 on: January 01, 2023, 03:41:58 AM »
Got 31 books done this year. Probably the most I've ever read in a year thanks to a mix of audiobooks and print books. Will try to keep it up.
Been catching up on One Piece which is delaying me starting a new book. When you're 150 chapters behind, that takes a surprising amount of time.

Bebpo

« Reply #3807 on: January 01, 2023, 03:44:10 AM »
Haha, interesting enough at midnight Sanderson just released the ebook of the first of his four secret project kickstarter books to backers.

Probably going to wait until the physical print books come out. But will check out a few pages to see what the book is about.
First book is Cosmere (3 of the 4 secret books are Cosmere-connected, 1 is a standalone), title is

Tress of the Emerald Sea
[close]

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #3808 on: January 01, 2023, 04:49:58 AM »
Here's my list for 2022.

1. The Truth
2. When We Were Very Young
3. De Geschiedenis van de Nederlandse Slavernij in een Notendop
4. Godenslaap
5. Maus I
6. Maus II
7. Waar was je nou
8. The Shadow of the Torturer
9. Locke and Key: Welcome to Lovecraft
10. Torenhoog en mijlen breed
11. Friday Black
12. Behold the Man
13. Love Ain't Nothing but Sex Misspelled
14. I Am Legend
15. El negro en ik
16. Paarden zijn ook varkens
17. Onze kinderen
18. The Giving Tree
19. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
20. The Temple of the Golden Pavilion
21. The Claw of the Conciliator
22. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
23. In Cold Blood
24. Dante's Inferno
25. The Sun Also Rises
26. Blood Meridian, or the Evening Redness in the West
27. The Sailor Who Fell From Grace with the Sea
28. Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
29. Paravion
30. Feest van het begin
31. Chocky
32. The Three-Body Problem
33. The Fountains of Paradise
34. Flowers For Algernon
35. Slan
36. The World of Nul-A
37. Joe Speedboot
38. Sharp Ends
39. A Boy and His Dog
40. The Prose Edda
41. Ender's Game

Chocky was probably my favourite of the bunch. I always love when old sci-fi calls out problems they foresee and it's actual problems we're dealing with in the present.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #3809 on: January 01, 2023, 06:39:54 AM »
8. The Shadow of the Torturer.
Sooo good. I really need to get back to the rest of that series.
Spud

archnemesis

« Reply #3810 on: January 01, 2023, 07:02:34 AM »
Here's my list.

Feb 24 - Andy Weir - Artemis (2017)
Mar 3 - Martha Wells - All Systems Red (2017)
Mar 10 - Martha Wells - Artificial Condition (2018)
Mar 22 - Neal Stephenson - The Diamond Age: or A Young Lady's Illustrated Primer (1995)
Mar 24 - Martha Wells - Rogue Protocol (2018)
Apr 9 - Philip K. Dick - Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (1968)
Apr 15 - Martha Wells - Exit Strategy (2018)
[dropped] Margaret Atwood - The Handmaid's Tale (1985) - Too close to the TV series.
Jun 14 - Adrian Tchaikovsky - Children of Time (2015)
Jun 15 - Adam Sharp - The Correct Order of Biscuits: And Other Meticulously Assembled Lists of Extremely Valuable Nonsense (2020)
Jul 9 -  Frederick Brooks - The Mythical Man-Month: Essays on Software Engineering (1975)
Jul 30 - Donald Robertson - How to Think Like a Roman Emperor: The Stoic Philosophy of Marcus Aurelius (2019)
Aug 23 - Neal Stephenson - Termination Shock (2021)
Aug 27 - Lee Child - The Sentinel (2020)
Sep 11 - Dmitry Glukhovsky- Metro 2033 (2002)
Sep 20 - Gunnar Wetterberg - Ingenjörerna (2020)
Oct 5 - Viktor E. Frankl - Man’s Search for Meaning (1946)
Nov 6 - Fria Ligan - Ur Varselklotet (2017)
Nov 15 - William Gibson - Virtual Light (1993)
Dec 9 - Martha Wells - Network Effect (2020)
Dec 11 - Martha Wells - Fugitive Telemetry (2021)
Dec 11 - Cal Newport - Deep Work (2016)

I also read ~200 children's books.

benjipwns

« Reply #3811 on: January 04, 2023, 08:27:33 PM »

Had to bump this up and get it out of the way because some fascist jerk placed a hold on it even though it was at the bottom of my pile. I can't recommend this at all, the guy spends too much time skipping over valid interpretations that could be evidence for his thesis to instead trying to force things to fit the most silly aspects of his theory and especially to have them fit backwards rather than have ideas build on previous ideas. He also does a lot of yadda yaddaing the actual criticism of various writers had towards each others work to instead talk about how they hung out at salons in pre-Revolutionary Paris. Also similarly to that origins of radical ideas book as things start becoming contemporary he stops citing the actual writings for other people writing about the people. He also puts footnotes at the end of paragraphs which like always leads to paragraphs with stuff you could grab off the Wikipedia entry getting ten or more citations including entire books (though other times he ignores this and has zero citations for biographical information) and then long paragraphs with multiple claims getting a single citation to a single page in a single book. (There's also an instance where he declares something "generally accepted as obvious" that doesn't seem that obvious to which he cites a few articles none of which are newer than 1977.) The last two things combine to have him claim it's "ironic" that Mises opposed collectivism but then had to flee the Nazis, to which he cites a page from some 2019 book that I can't possibly see as supporting that. Along similar lines he claims that Hayek and Friedman were Randian anarchists despite none of these three people being anarchists, Hayek and Friedman ignoring Rand and her considering them criminals not only for this (the ultimate crime to Rand) but also being moderates willing to compromise by supporting universal state programs. (The latter being a very key thing that the author ignores because it counters his claim, which for both is supported by a single citation to a single book by both men, that they believed the government could never intervene period.)

I suppose if you're one of those nuts who thinks all support for free markets is really an elaborate conspiracy theory dating back centuries or even millennia to keep the elites in power while the people clamor to be freed with eternal slave labor then you might learn something from this book such as how the conspiracy was founded by Cicero (while suggesting this is why Marc Antony had him killed) and advanced by the Catholic Church to trap people in Christianity into the more modern day where he alleges that "neo-Confederate segregationists" and evangelical Christians have anarchist roots* which is why they blindly support free market theories. (No, no citations for this.) His willful ignorance of the libertarian three is particularly vexing to me (not just because they're libertarians) because all three of them argued specifically against his very thesis but he uses them instead in support of it by pretending they said something else by avoiding citing their actual arguments, Hayek is an especially egregious case as he completely inverts Hayek's most influential arguments about information (while citing none of Hayek's works except The Road to Serfdom which he somehow claims ignores what happened in Germany (too much blind belief in free markets ever working rather than central state control says the author) despite being written about Germany to where he ignores an entire chapter of the book that talks about a specific thing he claims Hayek "chose to forget", he also doesn't seem to understand what syndicalism means in relation to fascism it's not unionized workers like in a free society) so Hayek fits the central theory of the book rather than disputes it. Strangely, he spends only a minor paragraph on Karl Marx (calling him merely a "critic of capitalism" and "historian" which underplays things a bit imo) which gets seven whole citations in it and nothing else on socialism/communism/etc. other than a mention that Communist China exists despite so many post-Marx pro-market works being counterarguments against him (and his followers and adjacent theories) and not arguments about free markets in a vacuum. Another of these books where the Wikipedia entries on a subject are actually more informative than the book that got published especially if you follow all the various links on those pages. (And that's with all the severe ills of Wikipedia.) He claims to be a professor of philosophy, history and accounting so I hope he's at least good at accounting. Also Wikipedia suspects he wrote his own entry and I'd probably agree as it has useless unsourced information on it these types of academics think mean something while the rest is copy-pasted, including entire paragraphs, from his faculty page he wrote. He sounds like the jerkstores all time best seller!

On the upside, it's a COVID-era book that I noticed no regular typos in. On the other hand as now seems mandatory he frets about social media in the conclusion and suggests the state needs to monopolize it to "properly" direct it which is a pretty funny way to end a book that purports to trace the history of the free market idea.

*Later he says: "TV evangelicals Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell joined the libertarian, far-right wing of the Republican Party ... while also issuing daily denunciations of rock music, homosexuals, abortion, civil rights, and pornography." Which, wat?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3812 on: January 05, 2023, 12:34:43 AM »
Think my top recently are Lesser Dead, Between Two Fires (both free on audible+ so maybe don't do credits), and We Are Legion.  Dresden is great, but only becomes so 2.5 books in.

Didn't listen to it, but hear the audio is great for Black Tongue Thief.

It felt like Dresden 1 was literally written for the fedora/neckbeard crowd, but after 2 books things get a bunch more interesting and less sexist, bullheaded, herbivore-macho.

:cry

whyyyy
McCarthy also used this method for THE ROAD, where it works to reinforce the sparcity of the language. I didn't feel as warmly about the conceit in Blood Meridian, and have not finished that book as a result.

Bebpo

« Reply #3813 on: January 05, 2023, 01:36:01 AM »
I finished The Road! I don't remember the no punctuation thing though.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3814 on: January 05, 2023, 09:11:09 PM »
Did you finish it as an audiobook or something?

Bebpo

« Reply #3815 on: January 05, 2023, 10:13:53 PM »
Nah, was the first McCarthy book I read. Long time ago though, started tracking my reads in 2010 and it's before that.

Don't think I ever saw the movie adaptation of that one.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3816 on: January 06, 2023, 01:49:35 AM »
Yeah, I have not seen the movie yet either. It hasn't been on any Japanese streaming services. Book was great. Oddly hopeful, by the end.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #3817 on: January 14, 2023, 08:46:21 AM »
Started on Lord of the Rings last year. Finished The Fellowship and then put it away for a bit after I marathoned the movies. About 1/3 into The Two Towers now.

Always thought I'd like it less than The Hobbit turns out I like it more. Slower burn is fine as long as the writing is good.

Bebpo

« Reply #3818 on: January 16, 2023, 09:04:52 PM »
I'm having some trouble getting into Discworld #6 - The Wyrd Sisters. It's getting me a bit worried about whether I should have grabbed all the Discworld books haha

I really like the early books outside book #1. They're short and funny and very enjoyable. The first Granny Weathersax book Equal Rites was great!

But starting at Book #5 - Sorcery! which I didn't care for, the books are now 300-400 pages instead of 200 pages and are more like ...normal books with satire humor instead of constant gag silly books.

I've been trying to read Wyrd Sisters but I just can't read more than about 10-30 pages a time. I'm about 100 pages in out of 300 now, so 1/3rd through. I've got nothing against the Macbeth spoof and there's plenty of good humor throughout, but it's just the pacing is really, really slow. It feels like a normal non-gag novel and it's hard to get invested in it to keep reading. I actually feel like I was more into Sorcery! than this.

The best parts of the book are the short scenes with the Duke and the Duchess (and the Fool). But those tend to be short scenes with a lot of story between them. Equal Rites worked because both Granny and the kid were compelling lead characters. Here the Witches don't even feel like the main characters because the plot tends to move around between the cast. And the three witches are just ok. Weathersax is still good, the younger girl and her grimoires Margaret works well off her. I'm not really feeling Nancy Ogg and what her character in this trio is besides having a giant family and being a grandma kind of person.

Tbh, I'm bored, and time left in life is limited, and I'm on the fence with dropping this one and reading something I find more enjoyable than forcing myself to get through 20 pages a night for another 2-3 weeks until it's over. Also probably doesn't help I read physical books at night before I go to sleep when I'm at my most tired, so if the book isn't interesting/exciting/compelling I don't make it far each night before passing out.

I know Wyrd Sisters is generally a well-received book in the Discworld series which is why I'm questioning the franchise after Sorcery and this one. Maybe I only liked Discworld when it was short gag books and I don't like actual lengthy novels that focus on story instead of gags?

Bebpo

« Reply #3819 on: January 16, 2023, 09:07:31 PM »
I'm also listening to The Sandman Act III audiobook and I'm somewhat bored there too. It's on volume 7: Brief Lives with Dream and Delirium going to look for their lost brother. It's a pretty boring arc so far. Just listen to it occasionally when driving, but been listening to music more often because this isn't grabbing me. The opening of Act III was the one-off issue about Orpheus's origin and that was good. Just not feeling the Brief Lives arc much.

So yeah, right now don't have any exciting books going on in my life. Waiting for Tress of the Emerald Sea physical book to arrive which I hope to enjoy quite a bit.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #3820 on: January 16, 2023, 10:23:05 PM »
If you're not feeling it, drop it and move on to Pyramids. That's a fun book.

Guards! Guards! is after that and it's really good.
Spud

Bebpo

« Reply #3821 on: January 16, 2023, 11:33:05 PM »
If you're not feeling it, drop it and move on to Pyramids. That's a fun book.

Guards! Guards! is after that and it's really good.

I'll give it another couple of nights and see if it picks up. I'm generally adverse to dropping things. Can't remember the last book I straight up dropped. Probably that Mr. Norrell book because it was huge and kinda slow (but it was good).

I think the problem is that there's no real plot yet in Wyrd Sisters. Like they found the baby, gave him away, the duke is losing it, the Witches are hanging out and the Duke keeps trying to get them to no avail and...that's about it. I feel like at some point there will be more to the plot and the book will become more engaging. The opening with the death of the king, the king's ghost, the witches and the bandits was all really good, but it's just sorta drifted flat since then.

Next book I'm going to read is Abercrombie's Best Served Cold. In the mood for his style of entertaining writing.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3822 on: January 19, 2023, 03:38:08 PM »
I listened to the Lincoln Lawyer as an enhanced version with ambient sound effects.  Instead of adding to the experience all it was loud porno music playing underneath the narration  :dead

Almost done with Mountain Man, which is a zombie story set in Nova Scotia.  It's pretty terrible. 

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #3823 on: January 20, 2023, 04:48:47 AM »

Just finished this one.

Cool Viking fantasy saga. Great world building and characters, but the pace of the story was very breakneck and it was somewhat hard to keep up with all the movement.

Will definitely read the next one though.
Spud

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3824 on: January 23, 2023, 12:27:34 PM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/audible/comments/10itep6/audible_plus/

I've actually used Plus much more than I thought I would.  It's just a pain to find the good stuff. 

Bebpo

« Reply #3825 on: January 25, 2023, 02:37:35 PM »
I finished Discworld #6 - The Wyrd Sisters, it picked up about a hundred pages+ in.

It was good, but I didn't think it was a great one in the series so far. The opening is strong, the ending finale is great, but the middle of the book which is like 200 of the 290 pages is pretty plodding. The first 100 pages after the intro are basically just introducing the characters and setting the stage, then there's like 100 pages of plot happening and then the finale.

I don't think any of the characters were particularly developed. The book has a moderate sized cast. Having the three Witches as mains kind of underdevelops them all as they mostly just play off each other for gags. Margrat and Nanny Ogg are fairly one dimensional. I think the book suffers from not having a lead character. It's a total ensemble piece story.

There's some good bits, I especially liked

Death coming on stage to perform the role of Death in the play finale and freezing up with stage fright lol

And the Duke character going more and more insane throughout the book was really enjoyable.
[close]

Overall I didn't dislike it, and I'm glad I stuck with it, but it's just an okay book. Curious to watch the animated movie adaptation they did of it and see if I enjoy it more after that. I think Wyrd Sisters spends too much effort trying to be a parody of Shakespeare than being its own good story.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3826 on: January 25, 2023, 09:26:18 PM »
2/3 of the way through Pet Semetary and it's been 10/10 all the way through so far.  Hope the ending holds.

edit:  book was so damn good
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 11:47:22 AM by Madrun Badrun »

Bebpo

« Reply #3827 on: January 26, 2023, 12:27:59 AM »
Ok, finished watching Wyrd Sisters adaptation

That was solid. It's weird in that it's less of an adaptation and more of just line for line the entire book ran at about 1.5x speed and missing a few of the narrator jokes. It works a bit better at that pace maybe, but also some of the funnier jokes don't get their time to land and breathe before the next line. The Duke's giggly voice is great.

Going back through it again, there's definitely a couple dozen funny bits in the book. It's not consistently hilarious but there's some funny stuff. I like the apple seller bit and the log directions bit. The thieves guild part was good too.

Overall it's a solid 3 out of 4.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3828 on: January 26, 2023, 10:32:24 AM »
Just saw Audible + has a bunch of Anthony Everitt and Adrian Goldsworthy roman history books on there now.  The service is actually really good if you consider it as a freebie to the credits. 

benjipwns

« Reply #3829 on: January 31, 2023, 10:51:58 PM »

Despite discovering that its author is a bit of a real jerk I have to recommend the earlier above book on the Cultural Revolution before this one. That's not because this one is not good and maybe better but it's a more academic work and despite over a third of it being cut in translation it's still 600 pages and it's organized in a very strange way. The earlier book is much more chronological, this one jumps all over and refers to events that have not yet been described as if they already have been. The translators also screwed up by trying to replicate Chinese names "accurately" even though this renders things confusing in English. I know it's more accurate to call the dude Wang instead of whatever his "last name" is but when you've got three Wangs it's like talking about three John's and calling them all John, doesn't work! Another turn off might be that this focuses quite a lot on the upper echelons of The Party, that's important because those people were fucking nuts but lots of the intrigue and stuff can turn people off. Also, the guy quotes pretty liberally from speeches which if you don't already know this about communist countries they give like four hour long speeches constantly and hold meetings even more constantly where everyone gives long speeches. The hundred plus times he mentions someone giving self-criticism to some group and quotes parts of it it's the dude giving a multi-hour list of all the ways he sucks and since most of these were based on momentary disagreements with Mao I don't think you need to really quote from them that often. There is an unintentional aspect of humor to this as you read all the times Deng Xiaoping is made to do this as all the Mao toadies eagerly try to destroy him even though they all wound up in jail or dead and he temporarily dismantled the communist state. You also can't help that notice that like with Trump the people who were most lavishly devoted to Mao were treated the worst by him and the ones he found easiest to discard, while those who showed some signs of honesty he would be forced trust in the end, which is how Deng and others survived over the toadies. Personally, I quite liked this book more than the other but if you don't know anything about the Cultural Revolution and especially do not know the timeline this one will be harder than the earlier one. I knew a good chunk of stuff, had just read the earlier book and I was still fucking lost at times because of the way this is organized and written.

Not what I expected from the cover but it's pretty great. The subtitle is pretty literal, it's actually about like psychology and stuff. Starting from Stalin being a complete paranoid to American arrogance over the collapse. From crazy assumptions about Russia from people who knew nothing about it but were declared experts through to Reagan and Gorby connecting on a personal level and thus being to understand "the other" in a way all the earliers did not. Dips into a whole bunch of different areas from internal politics to art to music. One part I liked was how the Soviet spies couldn't report accurately about the United States because they had to confirm the biases of their superiors first or they'd get sent home. One example was how they couldn't tell the Soviet leadership that no, stuff published in the New York Times or whatever is just some dude saying what he wants he's not being literally ordered by the President what to say and having his every word approved. The Soviets couldn't understand this since that was how they did it, why would the West not operate the same way? Conversely the West rarely understood the Soviet's paranoia that the United States was going to attack directly and bomb Moscow at any moment, we obviously didn't want to do that, that's something the Soviets would do so why would they believe we would, don't they understand that they're the evil ones? He touches on American self-doubt particularly in regards to the belief that Westerners would be converted easily to being communist agents while communists would be nothing but loyal but I think he missed arguably the bigger narrative here: both sides believed in the superiority of communism. America and the West feared if it stuck to the principles it claimed to be upholding the Soviets and other communists would naturally win, so liberal democratic principles had to be sacrificed and the West needed to copy the Soviet system to prevent this. (Something we have to do now or Russia will win again! Due process? Free speech? What are you some kind of Russian agent?!?) Even the common narrative that credits Reagan for ending the Cold War plays up the military buildup and "toughness" as if there was brilliant outmaneuvering of the Soviets that did it and not that their system was completely collapsing and that being friendly to Gorby allowed him to unintentionally drive the knife in. (Something the book notes that Bush immediately squandered by buying the false narrative and going with "we won, you lost, get over it" instead of Reagan's more human approach.) The Putin epilogue was kinda stretching the narrative a bit I thought but it's obvious why you'd have to include it and it's not like there's not obvious connections there just I thought he was dragging out the Cold War connections a bit too much while ignoring some of the longer term Russian cultural psychology aspects he noted that Cold Warriors had ignored. (Fell into his own trap you could say!)

That's three great ones in a row, pretty rare even if mildly coincidental! Like the prior one I was somewhat disappointed in this not being what I thought it was going to be. I thought it'd be much more of a history but that's only the first third, it's really more of an examination of the entire idea of interest. Most of the book is focused on what's happened since 2008. The narrative is the same ol thing, the hubris of self-declared intellectuals who think they will succeed where all other central planners fail because they are omniscient and know the single variable that controls all of life. But alas, central planning fails yet again and causes all the problems the experts say it will wipe out. But don't worry the central planners have the solution, the problem is reality's refusal to conform to their simplistic single variable models, if we just nudge reality into conforming to the models then the models will work. You say it's been falsified but you're missing the bigger picture, the models can't fail, only reality can fail the models. Consequences? For the 99%? Who cares, what's important is testing the models and besides if the models work there won't be any bad consequences since the models don't allow for any. Anyway, The Ben Bernank is an idiot but we already knew this. China's run by idiots too, but we knew this. Macroeconomics is a field of idiots who have never accurately predicted anything even though people keep giving them more power after they constantly fail, but we knew this. The last third of the book is pretty doomer since it goes through how many of these idiots are in ever increasing power with their failed theories they openly say they'd rather impoverish everyone with than acknowledge something might be wrong with their models or god forbid their premises. Sure, a forthcoming guaranteed global economic collapse based on the very things that caused the last one but amped up to eleven is terrifying but that's not the worst part of the book, the worst part is that the author says the N in the FAANG companies is Netscape.

Bebpo

« Reply #3830 on: February 01, 2023, 09:33:58 PM »

Finished reading Legends of Localization Book 1: Zelda 1 - Pretty interesting and entertaining read about the differences between the Japanese release of Zelda 1 and the USA release. Felt less like a book and more like taking a community college course. As someone fluent in Japanese with some translation experience, it was interesting seeing all the dialogue and text lines from the Japanese version and Mandelin's breakdowns of why he would translate each bit a certain way vs trying to figure out why the translators at the time in 1986 translated it the way they did.

Someday I wouldn't mind reading his Book 2 - Earthbound and Book 3 - Undertale, because the book was interesting. But eh, I prefer my books to be more fun entertainment and less school haha, so probably not anytime soon.

Also probably one of the most interesting parts of this book experience was realizing that even though I owned Zelda 1 with the gold cart as a kid and have lot of memories of playing it. I'm pretty sure the game was way too hardcore obtuse for me and I don't think I ever beat it or got to the last few dungeons. None of the hints from the later dungeons stuff rang a familiar bell and I actually had no idea Zelda 1 had its own 2nd Master Quest. It's pretty crazy how much depth there was packed into the world and its exploration for the timeframe and type of games coming out and made by a team of like 7 people. Now I'm half interested in sitting down and playing through Zelda 1 on an emulator one of these days.

I remember having Zelda II but not liking it or getting too far in it, so I'm pretty sure that Link to the Past on SNES was the first one I actually beat as a kid.

I started reading Wheel of Time #2 - The Great Hunt and I realized I don't remember much of Book #1 which I read maybe last year or the year prior. Given that this is a series with a lot of characters and lore I feel like this is going to be a recurring thing each book if I take a break and read other stuff between each one. I'm a few chapters in now and I vaguely remember the general skeleton of the plot of Book #1 and how it ended, but now that I finished the Zelda book and am going to focus on this, I think I need to read a wikipedia summary of book #1.

Even though I saw TV S1 and reading Book #1 that's how little of an impression it left on me  :lol  But I have been hankering to return to the world of it and see what happens next. I still may bail on the series though, but will give it at least another book or two to see if I get into it.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #3831 on: February 02, 2023, 12:13:29 AM »
Wheel of Time is both best and worst experienced as a whole block
Spud

Bebpo

« Reply #3832 on: February 02, 2023, 01:05:36 AM »
Wheel of Time is both best and worst experienced as a whole block

Well, that ain't happening. Life's too short to devote a couple years of reading solely to one series.

Will read a book here and there. I mean when they were being released that's how people read it since I assume the books did not come out on a weekly basis :P

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #3833 on: February 02, 2023, 02:08:34 AM »
Wheel of Time people can be really weird (like most extreme fans I guess) and would subject themselves to re-reads prior to the release of every book.

Just read a plot summary specific to where you're up to like a normal person. There are plenty out there.
Spud

Bebpo

« Reply #3834 on: February 02, 2023, 02:47:00 AM »
To be fair, I may do a re-read of Stormlight Archives 1-4 before book 5 comes out since it's the conclusion to that arc.

Bebpo

« Reply #3835 on: February 03, 2023, 08:04:59 PM »
The start of Book #2 is really slow. 100 pages in, 1/7th the book through and literally it's still just the opening scene in Fal Dara with the Tar Valon people visiting and Rand running around.

Like it's fine, but I can see why this series is so many books.

Also finished The Sandman Act III audiobook and it was great overall. Started on Blood Meridian and seems well written so far.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #3836 on: February 04, 2023, 05:57:39 AM »
Re-reading some Harry Potter. Only read the dutch translations as a kid. Pieced together a Bloombury set from fleamarkets over the years.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3837 on: February 04, 2023, 09:00:59 AM »
Falling Free by Lois McMaster Bujold.  It was good, it reminded me of the ape revolution parts of planet of the apes.  I liked one person doing the obvious moral thing even if it means risking their career story and some of the space corporation stuff.  It is a bit dated though.  There are some weird consent things that are hinted at but then disregarded as boys-being-boys, and when it does critic gender, it does that late 80's early 90's thing where it, seems progressive by critiquing works from the 60's but then it feels really dated because it uses phrases like 'women's work'.   

It's the first part of the Vorkosigan Saga, which people seem to love.  On to Shards of Honor. 

Bebpo

« Reply #3838 on: February 04, 2023, 11:37:16 PM »
So I was thinking about Wheel of Time and like if the series is kind of mundane for a lot of it (especially in the middle) because that's just how Robert Jordan writes, but then the last 3 books are a good finale to it because that's how Brandon Sanderon writes...

If I'm not hugely sold over by the time I finish book #2, how blasphemous would it be to just read book summaries for books #3-11 or whatever and then just read the 3 final books Sanderson wrote? Seems like it could be an efficient time-saver for casual fantasy readers as a way to read it if you don't mind all the little details being lost across the way.

Because it's not the story that I'm against with WoT, but Jordan's writing style just feels fairly bland to my tastes. Also overly descriptive.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #3839 on: February 05, 2023, 04:38:42 AM »
If you're not sold by the end of #3, just read summaries.

My (vague) recollection is that is where the series really takes off until it bogs down again in "the slog™", which is #7-10.

The Sanderson books are great because they are the payoff of such a long series with characters who you have been with for months/years/decades. Not sure they would have the same effect if you skip almost all of the books.
Spud