Author Topic: McCain picks Alaska Gov. Palin as running mate  (Read 41524 times)

patrickula

Re: McCain picks Alaska Gov. Palin as running mate
« Reply #240 on: September 01, 2008, 01:50:25 PM »
 :rofl Well there was some kind of secret pregnancy anyway.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #241 on: September 01, 2008, 01:54:45 PM »

fap fap fap
🍆🍆

siamesedreamer

« Reply #242 on: September 01, 2008, 02:52:06 PM »
McCain raised $47 million in August - $10 million of which came after Palin's announcement.  :o

He can't spend any of it starting today though. Should've picked her six weeks ago.

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #243 on: September 01, 2008, 02:57:10 PM »
I don't know much about politics, but I probably will need to go vote now.  I just really know that there is a magazine with Obama and Biden smiling on the cover in my hallway, and every time I look at it I just think that both look ballin' and need to become the next president and vp.

I think ive seen that one, I agree
o_0

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #244 on: September 01, 2008, 03:04:46 PM »

Though people on the left and right still don't want to acknowledge what thousands of studies have indicated, parental environment--unless particularly abusive--has shockingly little influence on how children end up. Genetics and peer groups are more important. So I don't necessarily blame parents for all their children's failings.

Abstinence-only sex education is silly, and obviously didn't work on Palin's daughter. However, many teenage girls who aren't from uber-religious families, stressing abstinence-only sex-ed, still get pregnant.

Anyway, this was a baffling pick, but someone who ranked 894 of a class of 899 at the Naval Academy isn't going to make smart decisions.

cool breeze

« Reply #245 on: September 01, 2008, 03:45:26 PM »
I don't know much about politics, but I probably will need to go vote now.  I just really know that there is a magazine with Obama and Biden smiling on the cover in my hallway, and every time I look at it I just think that both look ballin' and need to become the next president and vp.

I think ive seen that one, I agree

It's Newsweek or something.  I don't even know whose magazine it is, but it has been out there for 3 days now.

MrAngryFace

« Reply #246 on: September 01, 2008, 04:26:06 PM »
The just look like 'yeah lets change shit'
o_0

MrAngryFace

o_0

« Reply #248 on: September 02, 2008, 12:31:03 AM »
Oh man, Palin seems like she could easily be the next Harriet Miers.
野球

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #249 on: September 02, 2008, 12:33:38 AM »
really, if you're completely anti-abortion, you're probably distinguished mentally-challenged and should not be allowed anywhere near public office
duc

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #250 on: September 02, 2008, 12:38:24 AM »
Why did fivethirtyeight.com shift so drastically in the last few days? Obama gained like 10 points in the pie chart and Virginia and Ohio  are suddenly blue. No new polling data, am I missing something?

MrAngryFace

« Reply #251 on: September 02, 2008, 12:39:57 AM »
McCain camp's definition of 'command experience' is lol. Especially when he tries to suggest Biden doesnt have as much real international experience as McCain.

Being a POW doesnt count as experience in the international community.
o_0

siamesedreamer

« Reply #252 on: September 02, 2008, 12:53:38 AM »
Why did fivethirtyeight.com shift so drastically in the last few days? Obama gained like 10 points in the pie chart and Virginia and Ohio  are suddenly blue. No new polling data, am I missing something?

I noticed that too. The map is the same though.

538 appears to be pretty good, but the analysis of the numbers always looks through Obama-tinted glasses. It'd be great if he was a bit more objective. I like USElectionAtlas myself. They always have up the latest state by state polls in an easy to find manner.

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #253 on: September 02, 2008, 01:05:03 AM »
538 changed because they ditched a previous model that took into account expected convetion bounces, which was deemed inaccurate in an open poll due to the colossal clusterfuck of Palin and Gustav.

If anything 538 underrepresents Obama support since it doesn't take into account voter enthusiasm or state and county level campaign org, where Obama has a colossal lead over McCain.
hex

Fresh Prince

• a one-eyed cat peepin' in a seafood store
« Reply #254 on: September 02, 2008, 02:54:52 AM »
uh...appearently her daughter is preggers - 5 months  :lol

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/09/01/palin.daughter/index.html

She'll keep it of course and of course marry the father. McCain knew when he picked her too.

What a fricking disaster...

Dun dun dun!

« Reply #255 on: September 02, 2008, 07:27:34 AM »
WTF is up with the media and her daughter's pregnancy?  It's like on every station.  If that's the best they can dig up on this woman then  :lol.  That is about as relevent as Clinton getting a bj IMO.
+1

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #256 on: September 02, 2008, 07:34:31 AM »
WTF is up with the media and her daughter's pregnancy?  It's like on every station.  If that's the best they can dig up on this woman then  :lol.  That is about as relevent as Clinton getting a bj IMO.

Well, it's sex related so the media fixates on it.  There's plenty of other shit on her, including the fact that she used to be a member of a political party dedicated to Alaskan independence; she hired a lobbyist to get shit tons of ear marks while she was mayor of Wasilia; she was for the bridge to nowhere before she was against it; and she thinks that creationism should be taught in public schools.  I find the fact that she's not the "reformer" that the McLame campaign is painting her as to be the most comical, myself.
yar

« Reply #257 on: September 02, 2008, 07:53:32 AM »
Well, it's sex related so the media fixates on it.  There's plenty of other shit on her, including the fact that she used to be a member of a political party dedicated to Alaskan independence; she hired a lobbyist to get shit tons of ear marks while she was mayor of Wasilia; she was for the bridge to nowhere before she was against it; and she thinks that creationism should be taught in public schools.  I find the fact that she's not the "reformer" that the McLame campaign is painting her as to be the most comical, myself.

What party is that?  Do you have a link source for that?  That'd make an interesting read while I pretend to be working.
+1

« Reply #259 on: September 02, 2008, 08:43:28 AM »
Thanks sounds like those groups in Delaware and Vermont, saw them on TV a few months back, they too want to secede from the US, shows us how out of touch the Federal government has been with the people.  Only difference is Alaska could possibly make it on their own, Delaware and Vermont not so much.

+1

Fresh Prince

« Reply #260 on: September 02, 2008, 09:15:44 AM »
Not really considering her abstinence, anti-abortion platform etc.

« Reply #261 on: September 02, 2008, 09:32:58 AM »
Any way you spin this it will backfire in the end.  Even Obama denounced this and with good reason.  The general public will see them as attacking a 17 year old child for something that is very common in middle class America. 

And let me guess if the girl had an abortion it would have been ok amirite?   ::)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 09:35:59 AM by ShogunOfFear »
+1

Fresh Prince

« Reply #262 on: September 02, 2008, 09:40:30 AM »
Nobody will attack the 17 year old, people will attack Palin as a hypocrite, an abstinence monkey that can't preach to her own daughter or whatever else. Also when did middle class America have such low standards to think that a 17 year old pregnant should now be the norm?

Do I run for a political office? Do I shape public policy? It doesn't matter what I think or say I am not in the position Palin is or could be. 
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 09:42:37 AM by Fresh Prince »

« Reply #263 on: September 02, 2008, 09:46:45 AM »
Nobody will attack the 17 year old, people will attack Palin as a hypocrite, an abstinence monkey that can't preach to her own daughter or whatever else. Also when did middle class America have such low standards to think that a 17 year old pregnant should now be the norm?

Do I run for a political office? Do I shape public policy? It doesn't matter what I think or say I am not in the position Palin is or could be. 

Not saying its normal, but it is a problem why else would they be preaching abstinence or sex ed? How many kids at age 17 do you really think aren't sexually active?  Regardless its a private family matter, it has nothing to do with anyone's ability to serve in public office, and its laughable this is the story the media is running with because like some other posters have shown, there are other issues they could be attacking her on that deal directly with her, not a mistake her child made.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 09:57:15 AM by ShogunOfFear »
+1

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #264 on: September 02, 2008, 09:48:03 AM »
How many children at age 17 do you really think aren't sexually active?

*raises hand*

:'(
püp

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #265 on: September 02, 2008, 09:53:28 AM »
You are so right even though the real reason is that Palin was rarely at home to be a mother since she is a high ranking politician.
©ZH

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #266 on: September 02, 2008, 10:00:23 AM »
One of my friends swears he's going to move away from the US if McCain wins.  Says he didn't think about it much until Palin was announced as the VP pick, but America is turning into a fascist state blah blah blah.  I cracked that he should at least wait until he graduates from High School (he's 37).  He got pretty pissed about that crack, but I just shrugged.  Really, though, every time I hear someone say stuff like that I lol.  That's some juvenile bullshit right there.
sup

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #267 on: September 02, 2008, 10:04:04 AM »
You are so right even though the real reason is that Palin was rarely at home to be a mother since she is a high ranking politician.

This doesn't sound much better.

"I avoided my family responsibilities to pursue a career - children be damned!"

Maybe if that's the case, she shouldn't have had kids.
PSP

« Reply #268 on: September 02, 2008, 10:07:31 AM »
These children do have a dad too right?
+1

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #269 on: September 02, 2008, 10:35:31 AM »
BUT A REPUBLICAN HOUSEHOLD DICTATES THAT YOU NEED TWO PARENTS.  WITHOUT A MOTHER AND A FATHER, THE CHILD COULD TURN FULL BLOWN HOMO.
PSP

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #270 on: September 02, 2008, 10:40:32 AM »

This doesn't sound much better.

"I avoided my family responsibilities to pursue a career - children be damned!"

Maybe if that's the case, she shouldn't have had kids.
I think the dem's find it easier to paint her as a hypocrite instead of a career minded woman.
©ZH

« Reply #271 on: September 02, 2008, 10:48:00 AM »
BUT A REPUBLICAN HOUSEHOLD DICTATES THAT YOU NEED TWO PARENTS.  WITHOUT A MOTHER AND A FATHER, THE CHILD COULD TURN FULL BLOWN HOMO.

I'm sorry but if we go by that logic then people who choose to run for public office should...

1.  Have no children.

or

2.  Be old as McCain to ensure their children are adults.

And by that logic then our previous presidents could not have been good fathers and also feminists would have to say "b b but she shouldn't have to be a stay at home mom."

This argument is silly and to prove my point McCain's funds have increased since this story broke.  They are energizing conservatives.  But what do I know this is only the party that lost to Bush twice.  ???

Obama and McCain should be debating the issues.  They are running against one another not their VP's.  Don't take your eye off the ball.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 10:59:39 AM by ShogunOfFear »
+1

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #272 on: September 02, 2008, 10:54:06 AM »
I was being SARCASTIC.  I was trying to energyze the base, as it were.
PSP

« Reply #273 on: September 02, 2008, 10:55:55 AM »
I must have missed the sarcasm meter  :D
+1

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #274 on: September 02, 2008, 10:56:56 AM »
turning your kids homo: it's no laughing matter!
duc

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #275 on: September 02, 2008, 10:58:27 AM »
ABSTINENCE WORKS. ASK SARAH PALIN.
PSP

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #276 on: September 02, 2008, 11:00:14 AM »
there's 18 million cracks in the glass ceiling because sarah palin just dropped it onto everybody's heads
duc

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #277 on: September 02, 2008, 11:01:38 AM »
Haha, I didn't read this until just right now, but Sarah Palin employed a lobbying firm to secure almost $27 million in federal earmarks for a town of 6,700 residents while she was its mayor, according to an analysis by an independent government watchdog group.  Holy crap! :lol
PSP

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #278 on: September 02, 2008, 11:05:01 AM »
McCain's crusade against earmarks -- federal spending sought by members of Congress to benefit specific projects -- has been a hallmark of his campaign. He has said earmarks are wasteful and are often inserted into bills with little oversight, sometimes by a single powerful lawmaker.

Palin has also railed against earmarks, touting her opposition to a $223 million bridge in the state as a prime credential for the vice presidential nomination. "As governor, I've stood up to the old politics-as-usual, to the special interests, to the lobbyists, the big oil companies, and the good-ol'-boy network," she said Friday.

As mayor of Wasilla, however, Palin oversaw the hiring of Robertson, Monagle & Eastaugh, an Anchorage-based law firm with close ties to Alaska's most senior Republicans: Rep. Don Young and Sen. Ted Stevens, who was indicted in July on charges of accepting illegal gifts. The Wasilla account was handled by the former chief of staff to Stevens, Steven W. Silver, who is a partner in the firm.

In fiscal year 2002, Wasilla took in $6.1 million in earmarks -- about $1,000 in federal money for every resident. By contrast, Boise, Idaho -- which has more than 190,000 residents -- received $6.9 million in earmarks in fiscal 2008.

:lol

I can't wait for that to be thrown in McCain's face.
PSP

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #279 on: September 02, 2008, 11:08:07 AM »
requires too much explanation to impact the average republican voter. trust me, the YOOR DAUGHTER DONE GOT PREGGANT AT S'ENTEEN, YEW CAIN'T RAISE KIDS PROPERLY 'N ACCORDANCE WIT' THA LORD SO HOW CAN YOU REP'RSENT THE LORD IN OFFICE angle has more impact with the average republitard, even if it's totally unnoteworthy to the sane.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 11:19:09 AM by Professor Prole »
duc

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #280 on: September 02, 2008, 11:09:43 AM »
I got to think that the fact that Palin secured so much federal money with ties to dubious folks, which is a direct slap in the face to what McCain has been preaching is a LOT MORE IMPORTANT, sir.
PSP

« Reply #281 on: September 02, 2008, 11:09:55 AM »
Well what sucks for people like me who are fiscally conservative is that I can't vote for either candidate.  I'm stuck with Barr, he's alright I guess but still... he has no shot and everyone knows it.
+1

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #282 on: September 02, 2008, 11:10:09 AM »
willco, only to a minority of political nerds posting comments on blogs. if it isn't immediately resonant emotionally -- and hence can be reduced to a five word soundbite like "SHE RAISED A DEVIL CHILD" -- then the midwest hyuckery set dismiss it as highbrow palaver or just plain irrelevant. "them fancy news folks are talkin' 'bout stuff that don't matter again, usin' too many words!  i hear jesus gonna be back real soon now!" they say before sipping moonshine and sticking their dick in the slowest barnyard critter in the shed
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 11:15:42 AM by Professor Prole »
duc

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #283 on: September 02, 2008, 11:12:21 AM »
Blogs are about gossip - this is substance!  On the other hand, Biden is no stranger to federal earmarks.  But I don't think Obama's campaign has been so steadfast against them as McCain.

IT JUST SEEMS OH SO VERY HYPOCRITICAL.
PSP

« Reply #284 on: September 02, 2008, 11:16:17 AM »
Yeah you'll be hard pressed to find a Politician that doesn't have some history with an earmark.
+1

MrAngryFace

« Reply #285 on: September 02, 2008, 11:26:11 AM »
Im not concerned with the drama, we had a president who got a blow job and got caught; at this points its all moot. What concerns me is someone so not qualified to be president running with McCain
o_0

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #286 on: September 02, 2008, 11:26:17 AM »
Well what sucks for people like me who are fiscally conservative is that I can't vote for either candidate.  I'm stuck with Barr, he's alright I guess but still... he has no shot and everyone knows it.

You should vote based on your principles not who is gonna win. This isn't a popularity contest.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #287 on: September 02, 2008, 11:29:14 AM »
you have no principles that aren't shallow and childish, foc, so keep your silence while your betters are speaking
duc

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #288 on: September 02, 2008, 11:30:48 AM »
you have no principles that aren't shallow and childish, foc, so keep your silence while your betters are speaking

B-b-but im not responsible for my own opinions remember.

« Reply #289 on: September 02, 2008, 11:32:10 AM »
You should vote based on your principles not who is gonna win. This isn't a popularity contest.

Don't worry I will, but it's hard to be optimistic when the two major parties are currently arguing over a teen pregnancy when there are so many issues facing the nation.  I think it really shows how Jerry Springer our culture has become in general.  BTW am I the only one that actually likes Palin better than McCain?
+1

Crushed

• i am terrified by skellybones
« Reply #290 on: September 02, 2008, 11:33:43 AM »

Of course, you are like a child or aspie: your world views aren't entirely under your control, but that still does not make them any less foolish.
wtc

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #291 on: September 02, 2008, 11:34:48 AM »
To Shogun:

I think you're taking it a bit too far.  To be honest, it's the media and pundits that's talking it up so much, I haven't really seen any word from either Obama or McCain regarding the matter.  And I don't think either party would stoop that low during the debates to try and rally some support; it'd come off more as a bellow-the-belt dickmove than anything.
püp

« Reply #292 on: September 02, 2008, 11:38:58 AM »
To Shogun:

I think you're taking it a bit too far.  To be honest, it's the media and pundits that's talking it up so much, I haven't really seen any word from either Obama or McCain regarding the matter.  And I don't think either party would stoop that low during the debates to try and rally some support; it'd come off more as a bellow-the-belt dickmove than anything.

Well actually Obama rejected this saying people's families shouldn't be brought into this which I applaud him for he couldn't be more right.  I guess I view the pundits registered to either party as part of the party though if that makes since  :-\
+1

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #293 on: September 02, 2008, 11:44:21 AM »
Well in that case I totally agree with you.  News networks= :-\
püp

MrAngryFace

« Reply #294 on: September 02, 2008, 11:45:29 AM »
To Shogun:

I think you're taking it a bit too far.  To be honest, it's the media and pundits that's talking it up so much, I haven't really seen any word from either Obama or McCain regarding the matter.  And I don't think either party would stoop that low during the debates to try and rally some support; it'd come off more as a bellow-the-belt dickmove than anything.

Well actually Obama rejected this saying people's families shouldn't be brought into this which I applaud him for he couldn't be more right.  I guess I view the pundits registered to either party as part of the party though if that makes since  :-\

Protip: The pundits arent running for president.
o_0

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #295 on: September 02, 2008, 01:16:22 PM »

so your "principles" are merely opinions? no surprise, there!
duc

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #296 on: September 02, 2008, 01:24:29 PM »

so your "principles" are merely opinions? no surprise, there!

"I believe that we should lower taxes"

Please tell me how thats a fact.

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #297 on: September 02, 2008, 01:47:48 PM »
As usual I pwnt Drinky and he's too butthurt to respond

siamesedreamer

« Reply #298 on: September 02, 2008, 01:49:00 PM »
The media is absolutely destroying Palin. They'll talk endlessly about this earmark stuff, her kid, and for good measure throw in the Daily Kos smear, but completely ignore the fact that Biden's own son was lobbying for MBNA when the bankruptcy bill was passed. Or ignore the fact that after Michelle Obama's hospital got a $1M earmark her salary doubled.

I'm not one for screaming "liberal media!!", but this shit is getting utterly ridiculous. They obviously have an agenda with her.

As such, McCain is done. Its totally his own fault too. Should've picked Pawlenty or Romney.

At this point I would almost be willing to take a bet that Palin rejects the nomination tomorrow.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #299 on: September 02, 2008, 01:52:03 PM »
I don't think it's biased at all - no worse than all the mud slinging in ANY opponent's direction.  The biggest problem with Palin is the hypocritical nature of it all.  McCain definitely shot himself in the foot.

The media smells blood and there's a frenzy.  If Obama really WAS a Muslim (and that didn't stop talking heads from saying it was so), I'd imagine there would be the same craziness about.

Don't fault the media because he picked a splashy candidate with a bunch of holes.
PSP