Author Topic: Evilbore's Presidential Election Thread --Its the Final COUNTDOWN Ba da ba baaaa  (Read 466330 times)

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
Re: Evilbore's Presidential Election Thread --Its the Final COUNTDOWN Ba da ba baaaa
« Reply #1500 on: September 25, 2008, 12:57:19 AM »
Palin also says "Nucular"

smh
o_0

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
Re: Evilbore's Presidential Election Thread --Its the Final COUNTDOWN Ba da ba baaaa
« Reply #1501 on: September 25, 2008, 01:00:01 AM »
I'd hate to walk into tinfoil hat territory but I've heard that soldiers are being recalled in October due to the financial crisis to prevent domestic problems?

Sounds like BS but you never know.
🍆🍆

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #1502 on: September 25, 2008, 01:02:28 AM »
I'd hate to walk into tinfoil hat territory but I've heard that soldiers are being recalled in October due to the financial crisis to prevent domestic problems?

乱学者

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #1503 on: September 25, 2008, 01:03:59 AM »
some americans are really embracing the ridiculously apocalyptic vision -- they are actively against the bailout, and want a "reset" of america with them on top and the "eggheads" humbled, and a return to good ol' agrarian/biblical values. the "soldiers recalled to fight at home" is pure eschatological fantasy.
duc

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #1504 on: September 25, 2008, 01:04:09 AM »
We need to assemble the EB Revolutionary Army.  I nominate JustinP and Crushed to be the human shields.

PP: I pretty much figured that to be the case.  However, I thought maybe there'd be some zealous gun nuts running amok that need to get put down.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 01:06:36 AM by The Experiment »
🍆🍆

Fresh Prince

• a one-eyed cat peepin' in a seafood store
« Reply #1505 on: September 25, 2008, 01:06:10 AM »
I haven't seen Letterman in years. Tuned in tonight.
I wonder if Letterman will be getting a Christmas card from McCain this year.
I wouldn't be surprised if Letterman spends the remainder of the election ragging on McCain. He looked visibly pissed.

Re: Evilbore's Presidential Election Thread --Its the Final COUNTDOWN Ba da ba b
« Reply #1506 on: September 25, 2008, 01:12:39 AM »
Everyone move to Seattle. We'll be one of the last liberal strongholds if crazy old man McCain wins this fucking thing.
野球

MrAngryFace

« Reply #1507 on: September 25, 2008, 01:21:15 AM »
We could make a fort
o_0

Beezy

« Reply #1508 on: September 25, 2008, 01:24:16 AM »
Don't know if this is old, it was posted on my facebook today:

[youtube=425,350]fl7WvY7iozU[/youtube]

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #1509 on: September 25, 2008, 01:34:12 AM »
some americans are really embracing the ridiculously apocalyptic vision -- they are actively against the bailout, and want a "reset" of america with them on top and the "eggheads" humbled, and a return to good ol' agrarian/biblical values. the "soldiers recalled to fight at home" is pure eschatological fantasy.

Wooooooooo millenarism!

I wish I could be so certain that my righteous way of living would reward me when civilization crumbled.

On the other hand at least I'm not so horribly bitter towards modern society that I yearn for its destruction.  Cushy consumerism does have its benefits.

Re: Evilbore's Presidential Election Thread --Its the Final COUNTDOWN Ba da ba b
« Reply #1510 on: September 25, 2008, 01:42:26 AM »
We could make a fort

I have a huge Catalpa tree in my front yard, you could build the fort in it!
野球

cool breeze

« Reply #1511 on: September 25, 2008, 01:43:30 AM »
Don't know if this is old, it was posted on my facebook today:

[youtube=425,350]fl7WvY7iozU[/youtube]

:rofl

MrAngryFace

« Reply #1512 on: September 25, 2008, 03:10:33 AM »
[youtube=425,350]XjkCrfylq-E[/youtube].
o_0

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #1513 on: September 25, 2008, 03:21:05 AM »
wow, Letterman was bruuuutal
乱学者

MrAngryFace

« Reply #1514 on: September 25, 2008, 03:23:17 AM »
'you need a ride to the airport?' haha
o_0

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #1515 on: September 25, 2008, 03:28:07 AM »
I think the most amazing thing about that is that they're not making jokes about Palin so much as Palin is the joke. Letterman's just like "why isn't she here, out on the campaign trail? oh, because she's totally unqualified." and the audience is eating it up. this shark has been well-and-thoroughly jumped.
乱学者

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #1516 on: September 25, 2008, 04:24:27 AM »
Patel:

Yep.  When you can tell a joke that relies on the audience already thinking Palin is a lightweight and they react to it, you know her character has been established.

It's like references to Gore being a liar in 2000, but not wrong and infuriating.

Fresh Prince

• a one-eyed cat peepin' in a seafood store
« Reply #1517 on: September 25, 2008, 06:20:58 AM »
[youtube=425,350]iwkb9_zB2Pg[/youtube]
Black man lays hands on white woman.

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #1518 on: September 25, 2008, 06:31:46 AM »
Katie Fucking Couric routed her.  She's only moderately more hard-hitting then a visibly drowsy Larry King.

outside of Fox News, Palin or McCain wouldn't get a softer interview anywhere on the mainstream media circuit.  Not to mention CBS News has been notably gunshy since the Dan Rather debacle(hell, the pre-edit interview could have been WORSE).  This is as low as the bar will be set for them and even then they blow it.

I really, really, absolutely fail to see how the hell this country can be fucktarded enough to elect McCain.  The country cannot be that stupid and still be functional.  It just can't.

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #1519 on: September 25, 2008, 08:22:05 AM »

http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/2008/09/24/army/index.html

totally true

Wednesday Sept. 24, 2008 12:26 EDT
Why is a U.S. Army brigade being assigned to the "Homeland"?

(updated below - Update II)

Several bloggers today have pointed to this obviously disturbing article from Army Times, which announces that "beginning Oct. 1 for 12 months, the [1st Brigade Combat Team of the 3rd Infantry Division] will be under the day-to-day control of U.S. Army North" -- "the first time an active unit has been given a dedicated assignment to NorthCom, a joint command established in 2002 to provide command and control for federal homeland defense efforts and coordinate defense support of civil authorities." The article details:

They'll learn new skills, use some of the ones they acquired in the war zone and more than likely will not be shot at while doing any of it.

They may be called upon to help with civil unrest and crowd control or to deal with potentially horrific scenarios such as massive poisoning and chaos in response to a chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear or high-yield explosive, or CBRNE, attack. . . .

The 1st BCT's soldiers also will learn how to use "the first ever nonlethal package that the Army has fielded," 1st BCT commander Col. Roger Cloutier said, referring to crowd and traffic control equipment and nonlethal weapons designed to subdue unruly or dangerous individuals without killing them.

"It's a new modular package of nonlethal capabilities that they're fielding. They've been using pieces of it in Iraq, but this is the first time that these modules were consolidated and this package fielded, and because of this mission we’re undertaking we were the first to get it."

The package includes equipment to stand up a hasty road block; spike strips for slowing, stopping or controlling traffic; shields and batons; and, beanbag bullets.

"I was the first guy in the brigade to get Tasered," said Cloutier, describing the experience as "your worst muscle cramp ever -- times 10 throughout your whole body". . . .

The brigade will not change its name, but the force will be known for the next year as a CBRNE Consequence Management Response Force, or CCMRF (pronounced "sea-smurf").

For more than 100 years -- since the end of the Civil War -- deployment of the U.S. military inside the U.S. has been prohibited under The Posse Comitatus Act (the only exceptions being that the National Guard and Coast Guard are exempted, and use of the military on an emergency ad hoc basis is permitted, such as what happened after Hurricane Katrina). Though there have been some erosions of this prohibition over the last several decades (most perniciously to allow the use of the military to work with law enforcement agencies in the "War on Drugs"), the bright line ban on using the U.S. military as a standing law enforcement force inside the U.S. has been more or less honored -- until now. And as the Army Times notes, once this particular brigade completes its one-year assignment, "expectations are that another, as yet unnamed, active-duty brigade will take over and that the mission will be a permanent one."

After Hurricane Katrina, the Bush administration began openly agitating for what would be, in essence, a complete elimination of the key prohibitions of the Posse Comitatus Act in order to allow the President to deploy U.S. military forces inside the U.S. basically at will -- and, as usual, they were successful as a result of rapid bipartisan compliance with the Leader's demand (the same kind of compliance that is about to foist a bailout package on the nation). This April, 2007 article by James Bovard in The American Conservative detailed the now-familiar mechanics that led to the destruction of this particular long-standing democratic safeguard:

The Defense Authorization Act of 2006, passed on Sept. 30, empowers President George W. Bush to impose martial law in the event of a terrorist "incident," if he or other federal officials perceive a shortfall of "public order," or even in response to antiwar protests that get unruly as a result of government provocations. . . .

It only took a few paragraphs in a $500 billion, 591-page bill to raze one of the most important limits on federal power. Congress passed the Insurrection Act in 1807 to severely restrict the president's ability to deploy the military within the United States. The Posse Comitatus Act of 1878 tightened these restrictions, imposing a two-year prison sentence on anyone who used the military within the U.S. without the express permission of Congress. But there is a loophole: Posse Comitatus is waived if the president invokes the Insurrection Act.

Section 1076 of the John Warner National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2007 changed the name of the key provision in the statute book from "Insurrection Act" to "Enforcement of the Laws to Restore Public Order Act." The Insurrection Act of 1807 stated that the president could deploy troops within the United States only "to suppress, in a State, any insurrection, domestic violence, unlawful combination, or conspiracy." The new law expands the list to include “natural disaster, epidemic, or other serious public health emergency, terrorist attack or incident, or other condition" -- and such "condition" is not defined or limited. . . .

The story of how Section 1076 became law vivifies how expanding government power is almost always the correct answer in Washington. Some people have claimed the provision was slipped into the bill in the middle of the night. In reality, the administration clearly signaled its intent and almost no one in the media or Congress tried to stop it . . . .

Section 1076 was supported by both conservatives and liberals. Sen. Carl Levin (D-Mich.), the ranking Democratic member on the Senate Armed Services Committee, co-wrote the provision along with committee chairman Sen. John Warner (R-Va.). Sen. Ted Kennedy openly endorsed it, and Rep. Duncan Hunter (R-Calif.), then-chairman of the House Armed Services Committee, was an avid proponent. . . .

Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.), the ranking Democrat on the Senate Judiciary Committee, warned on Sept. 19 that "we certainly do not need to make it easier for Presidents to declare martial law," but his alarm got no response. Ten days later, he commented in the Congressional Record: "Using the military for law enforcement goes against one of the founding tenets of our democracy." Leahy further condemned the process, declaring that it "was just slipped in the defense bill as a rider with little study. Other congressional committees with jurisdiction over these matters had no chance to comment, let alone hold hearings on, these proposals."

As is typical, very few members of the media even mentioned any of this, let alone discussed it (and I failed to give this the attention it deserved at the time), but Congressional Quarterly's Jeff Stein wrote an excellent article at the time detailing the process and noted that "despite such a radical turn, the new law garnered little dissent, or even attention, on the Hill." Stein also noted that while "the blogosphere, of course, was all over it . . . a search of The Washington Post and New York Times archives, using the terms 'Insurrection Act,' 'martial law' and 'Congress,' came up empty."

Bovard and Stein both noted that every Governor -- including Republicans -- joined in Leahy's objections, as they perceived it as a threat from the Federal Government to what has long been the role of the National Guard. But those concerns were easily brushed aside by the bipartisan majorities in Congress, eager -- as always -- to grant the President this radical new power.

The decision this month to permanently deploy a U.S. Army brigade inside the U.S. for purely domestic law enforcement purposes is the fruit of the Congressional elimination of the long-standing prohibitions in Posse Comitatus (although there are credible signs that even before Congress acted, the Bush administration secretly decided it possessed the inherent power to violate the Act). It shouldn't take any efforts to explain why the permanent deployment of the U.S. military inside American cities, acting as the President's police force, is so disturbing. Bovard:

"Martial law" is a euphemism for military dictatorship. When foreign democracies are overthrown and a junta establishes martial law, Americans usually recognize that a fundamental change has occurred. . . . Section 1076 is Enabling Act-type legislation—something that purports to preserve law-and-order while formally empowering the president to rule by decree.

The historic importance of the Posse Comitatus prohibition was also well-analyzed here.

As the recent militarization of St. Paul during the GOP Convention made abundantly clear, our actual police forces are already quite militarized. Still, what possible rationale is there for permanently deploying the U.S. Army inside the United States -- under the command of the President -- for any purpose, let alone things such as "crowd control," other traditional law enforcement functions, and a seemingly unlimited array of other uses at the President's sole discretion? And where are all of the stalwart right-wing "small government conservatives" who spent the 1990s so vocally opposing every aspect of the growing federal police force? And would it be possible to get some explanation from the Government about what the rationale is for this unprecedented domestic military deployment (at least unprecedented since the Civil War), and why it is being undertaken now?

UPDATE: As this commenter notes, the 2008 National Defense Authorization Act somewhat limited the scope of the powers granted by the 2007 Act detailed above (mostly to address constitutional concerns by limiting the President's powers to deploy the military to suppress disorder that threatens constitutional rights), but President Bush, when signing that 2008 Act into law, issued a signing statement which, though vague, seems to declare that he does not recognize those new limitations.

UPDATE II: There's no need to start manufacturing all sorts of scare scenarios about Bush canceling elections or the imminent declaration of martial law or anything of that sort. None of that is going to happen with a single brigade and it's unlikely in the extreme that they'd be announcing these deployments if they had activated any such plans. The point is that the deployment is a very dangerous precedent, quite possibly illegal, and a radical abandonment of an important democratic safeguard. As always with first steps of this sort, the danger lies in how the power can be abused in the future.
Tonya

huckleberry

« Reply #1520 on: September 25, 2008, 09:15:29 AM »
DAMMIT!

I was all ready to march on Washington!  Now they have sonice wave guns to fuck you up....with no blood. 
wub

Crushed

• i am terrified by skellybones
« Reply #1521 on: September 25, 2008, 09:26:06 AM »
Maybe if we riot enough they'll get to use that awesome heat ray. That'd be badass.
wtc

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #1522 on: September 25, 2008, 09:32:33 AM »
I couldn't even get through the 2 min mark on the Couric/Palin interview.  I felt really uncomfortable watching her.  Boom goes the dynamite.

You lasted longer than me duder. For those exact same reasons.
©ZH

Himu

« Reply #1523 on: September 25, 2008, 09:39:06 AM »
I couldn't even get through the 2 min mark on the Couric/Palin interview.  I felt really uncomfortable watching her.  Boom goes the dynamite.

I could watch your avatar for 5 minutes straight, baby boo  :-*
IYKYK

GilloD

• TAKE THE LIFE OF FRED ASTAIRE. MAKE HIM PAY. TRANSFER HIS FAME TO YOU.
« Reply #1524 on: September 25, 2008, 10:23:30 AM »
Maybe if we riot enough they'll get to use that awesome heat ray. That'd be badass.

Di you ever read that report by a bunch of reporters who got shot by it? I guess it was raining and it dispersed the beam and they all asked to be shot again because they were chilly and the beam was "warming"
wha

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #1525 on: September 25, 2008, 11:40:21 AM »
Patel:

Yep.  When you can tell a joke that relies on the audience already thinking Palin is a lightweight and they react to it, you know her character has been established.

It's like references to Gore being a liar in 2000, but not wrong and infuriating.

I'm still waiting for the "McCain is a liar" thing to gel. Anyone know if this Letterman fiasco is getting any mainstream reporting?

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #1526 on: September 25, 2008, 11:42:35 AM »
It's all over blogs and various sites. It's in the "Top Stories" and "Most Popular Stories" right now at Yahoo news. Beyond that, don't know.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #1527 on: September 25, 2008, 01:36:20 PM »
http://rockcreekfreepress.tumblr.com/post/35321150/navy-releases-mccains-records

It is quite possible that McCain killed more Americans in the Vietnam war than Vietnamese. smh
©ZH

Crushed

• i am terrified by skellybones
« Reply #1528 on: September 25, 2008, 01:39:27 PM »
http://rockcreekfreepress.tumblr.com/post/35321150/navy-releases-mccains-records

It is quite possible that McCain killed more Americans in the Vietnam war than Vietnamese. smh

That's not true. The placement of the planes makes it impossible for him to have caused the fire with a wet start; the back of McCain's plane was facing out to sea, on the opposite side of the deck from the plane that fired the rocket due to an electrical malfunction.
wtc

Brehvolution

« Reply #1529 on: September 25, 2008, 01:45:53 PM »

That's not true. The placement of the planes makes it impossible for him to have caused the fire with a wet start; the back of McCain's plane was facing out to sea, on the opposite side of the deck from the plane that fired the rocket due to an electrical malfunction.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I know :shh
[close]
©ZH

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #1530 on: September 25, 2008, 02:07:47 PM »
Now that the financial meltdown is real I hope you guys apologize to me. I warned all of you douche bags last fall about this but you guys had your head so far up your asses you couldn't hear anything.

Awesome! Martial Law. I cant wait to see you assholes spin this around.

b-b-b-but conspiracy.

Fuck! You fegs will never learn anything. Have fun when the army is patrolling your street.

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #1531 on: September 25, 2008, 02:07:49 PM »
Palin can take the white minivan and drive McCain back to New York for his Letterman appearance.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080925/ap_on_bi_ge/financial_meltdown;_ylt=AkgyseWN3N7s18H6qxT9bW.s0NUE

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #1532 on: September 25, 2008, 02:14:18 PM »
Now that the financial meltdown is real I hope you guys apologize to me. I warned all of you douche bags last fall about this but you guys had your head so far up your asses you couldn't hear anything.

b-b-b-but conspiracy.

Fuck! You distinguished effete fellows will never learn anything. Have fun when the army is patrolling your street.

You're gay lover is calling for an actual fucking Great Depression Part Deux to fix this mess.  He WANTS Americans to suffer for this.
püp

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #1533 on: September 25, 2008, 02:18:13 PM »
Not sure why you say that. Ron Paul is the only politician that is speaking any sense. He doesn't want to bail out anyone and is not afraid to say so. 

[youtube=425,350]qB-OhTfplYE[/youtube]

:bow Ron Paul :bow2

:piss Evilbore piss2

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
🍆🍆

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #1535 on: September 25, 2008, 02:22:22 PM »

b-b-b-but conspiracy.

Fuck! You distinguished effete fellows will never learn anything. Have fun when the army is patrolling your street.

Oh man.

Oh shit.

Oh hell naw.

Hey distinguished mentally-challenged fellow, you do realize that the one person who bears the most responsibility for this mess that we're in right now was Alan Greenspan, noted disciple of shitbag douchenugget Ayn Rand, right?
yar

MrAngryFace

« Reply #1536 on: September 25, 2008, 02:22:50 PM »
 I dont get how anyone can say that couric interview was handled well. She cant answer shit.
o_0

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #1537 on: September 25, 2008, 02:23:02 PM »
Voters fell for it:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/110668/Gallup-Daily-Race-Back-Tie-46-Each.aspx

They are now tied.

Well, not exactly. The falling for it part, I mean.

This update covers interviewing conducted Monday through Wednesday, and as such includes one night after McCain's announcement that he was suspending election campaigning and flying to Washington to help seek a bipartisan solution to the financial crisis. A night by night analysis of interviewing results, however, does not suggest that McCain had a dramatically better night against Obama on Wednesday. Instead, the data show that McCain has been doing slightly better for the last three days than he had in the previous week, and with some strong Obama days falling off of the rolling average, the race has moved to its current tied position.

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #1538 on: September 25, 2008, 02:23:26 PM »

Hey distinguished mentally-challenged fellow, you do realize that the one person who bears the most responsibility for this mess that we're in right now was Alan Greenspan, noted disciple of shitbag douchenugget Ayn Rand, right?

Alan Greenspan may have been a fan of her but practiced none of her philosophy.

:piss greenspan :piss2

MrAngryFace

« Reply #1539 on: September 25, 2008, 02:24:33 PM »
Voters fell for it:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/110668/Gallup-Daily-Race-Back-Tie-46-Each.aspx

They are now tied.

Whats annoying is most of the media acted like it was some sincere effort, when its so obvious its not.
o_0

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #1540 on: September 25, 2008, 02:24:56 PM »

Alan Greenspan may have been a fan of her but practiced none of her philosophy.

:piss greenspan :piss2

You really know nothing, don't you?  He had the ability to regulate the mortgage industry as Chair of the Fed but didn't think it was appropriate to fuck with the market.  Who does that sound like to you, distinguished mentally-challenged fellow? 

Seriously, how do you remember how to breathe?
yar

MrAngryFace

« Reply #1541 on: September 25, 2008, 02:25:36 PM »
The Venus Embrace commercial between MSNBC online videos kinda reminds me why this race is so close:

"My razor has like 3 or 4 blades, so I gotta get 5"

wtf does that mean?!!??!?
o_0

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #1542 on: September 25, 2008, 02:27:37 PM »
The Venus Embrace commercial between MSNBC online videos kinda reminds me why this race is so close:

"My razor has like 3 or 4 blades, so I gotta get 5"

wtf does that mean?!!??!?

It means that by the next election, there will be a Gillette Thermonucleardetonation that will have 19 blades and will cost as much as a small car. And be about as big as one, too.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #1543 on: September 25, 2008, 02:29:05 PM »
Yeah, like, none of this Letterman and general McCain nonsense has caught on with the public.  I think most laymen think he did an upstanding thing by suspending his campaign, actually.

PSP

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #1544 on: September 25, 2008, 02:29:15 PM »
You really know nothing, don't you?  He had the ability to regulate the mortgage industry as Chair of the Fed but didn't think it was appropriate to fuck with the market.  Who does that sound like to you, distinguished mentally-challenged fellow? 

Seriously, how do you remember how to breathe?

The mortgage industry doesn't need to be regulated. We just need to let the companies that accumulated all the bad loans take the hit. Instead we are going to bail them out in the name of "doing whats right everyone"  nevermind that every american family has almost $200,000 worth of the national debt.

Woooooo "doing whats right for the good of the people"

MrAngryFace

« Reply #1545 on: September 25, 2008, 02:30:09 PM »
Yeah, like, none of this Letterman and general McCain nonsense has caught on with the public.  I think most laymen think he did an upstanding thing by suspending his campaign, actually.

Argh stupid people! ARHGHSKFJGHDGH
o_0

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #1546 on: September 25, 2008, 02:30:10 PM »
This election is going to have a couple of more momentum changers before it's all said and done, so whether or not McCain gains traction here is ultimately going to be irrelevant.

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #1547 on: September 25, 2008, 02:30:23 PM »
Anyway, i wasnt going to post in this trash dumb / obama orgy but the article about martial law really is telling. Have fun guys.

duckman2000

• A lot of shit pisses me off
« Reply #1548 on: September 25, 2008, 02:31:57 PM »

As someone else said, this nation will get the President it deserves. It's just a shame for the rest of the world, who has no say in this, that this particular nation still has such international influence as to make it everybody's problem.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #1549 on: September 25, 2008, 02:33:48 PM »

As someone else said, this nation will get the President it deserves. It's just a shame for the rest of the world, who has no say in this, that this particular nation still has such international influence as to make it everybody's problem.

Well, after four years of Jonah McPalin we'll no longer be a first world country so our influence will be pretty blunted.
yar

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #1550 on: September 25, 2008, 02:35:43 PM »

Well, China is no longer going to lend money to the United States, at least for a while:

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idUSPEK16693720080925

More and more nations are weaning themselves off the dollar.  The US is finding itself increasingly isolated, not just politically, but financially.  I can't blame the other nations for doing this but this is bad.
🍆🍆

duckman2000

• A lot of shit pisses me off
« Reply #1551 on: September 25, 2008, 02:38:22 PM »
That's the thing, this choice is probably going to determine whether or not the US "remains" a part of the international community, or push itself into relative isolation, which will certainly fuel xenophobia, irrespective of the fact that the isolation is an actual design by the nation itself. McCain has already made comments to the effect of the rest of the world largely bearing the blame for the problems here, which obviously is something that your typical take-no-responsibility loving Joe will like to continue hearing. Of course, this coming out of the mothmouth of McCain, it will resonate on an international level. I can't think of a worse pick for President at this point, and it's amazing that it's an actual possibility that he will be President.

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #1552 on: September 25, 2008, 02:42:19 PM »
Regardless of who is elected, I think a little isolationism would actually help.

That, or we could continue exporting jobs overseas because it costs less while our prices keep rising anyway and the rich just keep on getting richer.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #1553 on: September 25, 2008, 02:42:39 PM »
smh FoC

I betcha FoC painted his room gold
püp

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #1554 on: September 25, 2008, 02:48:04 PM »
The guest worker program can be the spiritual successor of exporting factories to developing nations.  Already, there have been lots of reported abuses of the program, something akin to debt bondage, or modern day slavery.
🍆🍆

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #1555 on: September 25, 2008, 02:48:36 PM »
no one fell for shit. wait until tomorrow's gallup. early numbers suggest it was seen as a gimmick

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #1556 on: September 25, 2008, 02:56:37 PM »
WAIT TILL E-THREE
PSP

Brehvolution

« Reply #1557 on: September 25, 2008, 02:59:58 PM »
He did it!! OMFG MacCain fixed the economy!!!!! A deal has been reached in the bailout.
©ZH

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #1558 on: September 25, 2008, 03:10:45 PM »
the hot rumor is that McCain is going to vote "No" on the bailout to prove his MAVERICKINESS

suspends campaign* to fix economy, then votes again the bill, then fails to show up for the debate even though an agreement was reached

THAT'S MY MAVERICK

*ads are still running and surrogates are still slamming Obama...so this was a very "light" suspension
乱学者

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #1559 on: September 25, 2008, 03:11:08 PM »
He did it!! OMFG MacCain fixed the economy!!!!! A deal has been reached in the bailout.

Not really.  Things look real shady- House Republicans are threatening to derail it still and Democrats are probably going to have to do what they do best- roll over and capitulate on the issue of letting judges rewrite mortgage terms for homeowners going through bankruptcy.  I bet after the awesome photo op at four with the leadership (including noble candidate John McCain who is putting COUNTRY FIRST) at the White House there will be a rough agreement in place, but it will magically take until Saturday to get passed, thus canceling the debate.  I hope Obama still shows up, tho.  He's threatened to show up and hold a town hall with Jim Lehrer.
yar