Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4178102 times)

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
Re: The new and improved "Movies you've seen recently" thread
« Reply #18540 on: January 15, 2014, 10:28:15 AM »
the only good thing about Lady in the Water was pixie fairy thing Bryce Dallas Howard
nat

cool breeze

Re: The Movie News Topic
« Reply #18541 on: January 15, 2014, 06:12:06 PM »

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #18542 on: January 15, 2014, 06:21:46 PM »
I imagine PG-13 Robocop is gonna be shooting up a lot of robots.
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18543 on: January 15, 2014, 06:39:47 PM »
dog

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #18544 on: January 15, 2014, 07:34:15 PM »
 :-X

The only way that could be more offensive is if it said "this isn't your grandpas robocop"

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #18545 on: January 15, 2014, 09:42:53 PM »
It's a training session, I wouldn't compare it to the drug raid in the original Robocop.

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #18546 on: January 15, 2014, 11:43:10 PM »
I agree that you don't really need to compare that clip to anything in the original Robocop in order to know that it is god fucking awful. 

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #18547 on: January 16, 2014, 12:13:45 AM »
Not really "movie" news, but Warner Bros. is finally going to release the complete Batman '66 tv series this year

https://twitter.com/ConanOBrien/status/423564044197318656

As reported on by Conan OBrien of all people.
WDW

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18548 on: January 16, 2014, 01:49:15 AM »
Not really "movie" news, but Warner Bros. is finally going to release the complete Batman '66 tv series this year

https://twitter.com/ConanOBrien/status/423564044197318656

As reported on by Conan OBrien of all people.

FINALLY. Man, I can't imagine what a mess of contract stuff this was to get through, but there is some damned money to be made, surely?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18549 on: January 16, 2014, 02:04:21 AM »
True Grit: Yup, that was a Coen Bros. movie. It was great, but I'm surprised at 94% RottenTomatoes.com rating. It's a beautiful, largely self-conscious movie with many more "standard" Coen Bros. touches than No Country for Old Men, which really -- as a western -- had been more of what I'd expected. It was funnier than I'd expected, and Matt Damon's Texas Ranger was pretty neat as comic relief. This is nerdy of me, but I'd like to run LeBoeuf as a character in an RPG. He's more nuanced than a caricature, but still easy to get a grasp of. The acting chops on heroine Mattie were just amazing. Jeff Bridges' Rooster Cogburn was also spot-on, but Bridges is always perfect.

I felt like the pacing got really, really weird after the main plot resolves:
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Maddy kills her fugitive, but falls into a pit, is attacked by snakes, not quite rescued fast enough, and is bit. Cut to what looks like abysmally dated tight shots against a projected background for the dash to save Mattie. Rooster exhausts Mattie's horse, then puts it down. Finally, they arrive at the shop, and we close on the reverse of the opening shot: the fire-lit building fades to black... Only we open again on a shot of adult Mattie, now with a voice-over spelling out the aftermath of her hunt, and what has gone on with Cogburn and LaBoeuf.
[close]

The final scene felt tacked on; I could have easily done with a text recounting of the players' fates, keeping the shot symmetry balanced. Maybe the sequence was added after focus testing?

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18550 on: January 16, 2014, 09:07:06 AM »
Regarding that scene:

It's straight from the original novel, and it's there to show Mattie's "punishment" for choosing to kill Cheney even after he'd surrendered to her.
[close]
dog

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #18551 on: January 16, 2014, 03:43:57 PM »
Watched both Brady Bunch movies.

I loved them. I wish more television remakes would have had the same kind of energy and inspired originality in them.

As a middle child, that one scene where Jan Brady walks out in the afro wig in a desperate plea for attention hit me right in the feels. It pretty much sums up my high school existence.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18552 on: January 16, 2014, 07:55:56 PM »
Regarding that scene:

It's straight from the original novel, and it's there to show Mattie's "punishment" for choosing to kill Cheney even after he'd surrendered to her.
[close]

Interesting, but he doesn't surrender in the movie. Cheney is choking her when LaBoeuf KOs him, then Cheney wakes up, KOs LaBoeuf and moves to kill Mattie again, no?
[close]

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18553 on: January 16, 2014, 08:21:26 PM »
Regarding that scene:

[close]

Interesting, but he doesn't surrender in the movie. Cheney is choking her when LaBoeuf KOs him, then Cheney wakes up, KOs LaBoeuf and moves to kill Mattie again, no?
[close]

It was a little bit different from how I remember, but she had the drop on him at that point. He was on the ground and she had LeBoeuf's rifle pointed at him. She tells him to stand up and when he does she shoots him. She didn't shoot him out of necessity [since he wasn't in a position to do anything else at that point], she shot him because she wanted to.
[close]
dog

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #18554 on: January 16, 2014, 09:33:45 PM »
Winter's Bone - wasn't at all a fan. Very slow paced, boring and lacked any sort of satisfying conclusion/closure. Don't understand the high reviews at all. JLaw was good in it tho.
^_^

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #18555 on: January 16, 2014, 09:35:27 PM »
Keep in mind Mupepe likes Lady in the Water.
:lol

reminds me of my family's dismissal of my mom's film opinions: "remember, mom gave Van Helsing a 9.5/10"

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #18556 on: January 16, 2014, 10:16:35 PM »
Winter's Bone - wasn't at all a fan. Very slow paced, boring and lacked any sort of satisfying conclusion/closure. Don't understand the high reviews at all. JLaw was good in it tho.

I'd give her the winter bone.
©@©™

Freyj

« Reply #18557 on: January 19, 2014, 11:09:11 AM »
Her:

I was at least anxious waiting for him to kill himself, so there's that I suppose. Amy Adam's intake of air / sigh on the fade out made up a bit for the cop out though.
[close]

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #18558 on: January 19, 2014, 05:49:47 PM »
Lone Survivor

average. action scenes felt sterile and they lacked any real attempt at spatial awareness. dialogue was complete cheese and i didn't really care about any of the soldiers. too much murica eff yeah.

Captain Phillips

absolutely fantastic. great acting from both sides. completely taut and tense throughout especially at the end. i LOVED the final scene with Tom Hanks, he nailed that scene and managed to draw some emotion and empathy outta me.
nat

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #18559 on: January 19, 2014, 06:40:09 PM »
I like to think that this was Bergs chillax film after Battleships, which is also an objectively better movie.

The forest battle scenes were slightly more intense than watching dudes fire paintballs.

Chillax Berg.
:{]

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18560 on: January 19, 2014, 11:14:14 PM »

Cutie and the Boxer: Documentary following a married couple, artists who immigrated from Japan to New York, and are now in their senior years. Yushio Shinohara was a rising star in the avante garde art movement in Japan, and enjoyed some serious popularity in the '60s and '70s. Now, no-one really seems to know him except pop art scholars and, at 80 years old, he's living hand-to-mouth with his wife, Noriko who is 60. Here's a brief summary of the theme:
Through animated sequences of Noriko’s art, Heinzerling gives viewers the Shinoharas’ painful backstory. Noriko arrived in New York at age 19 to study art, but that dream was squashed after she met Ushio, 21 years her senior, and soon became pregnant with Alex. “Cutie and Bullie” is Noriko’s catharsis, as 40 years of Ushio’s alcohol abuse and their constant struggles to keep above the poverty line spill forth onto her canvas.(url)

It is a beautifully shot documentary, very honest, rich camera-work, and well-edited. Some of the lingering shots, they convey stress or concern, or hurt feelings so well. I found myself cheering for the wife, who had put her artistic pursuits on hold, but ultimately finds her own artistic voice.

It's good.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18561 on: January 19, 2014, 11:21:24 PM »
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 11:23:02 PM by Great Rumbler »
dog

cool breeze

« Reply #18562 on: January 20, 2014, 03:42:12 AM »
oblivion is a stupid movie

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18563 on: January 20, 2014, 05:55:51 AM »

Haven't seen it, but I can almost guarantee that it wasn't as dumb as the simultaneously launched Will/Jaden Smith Dutch Oven, After Earth. The amount of lovely futurist industrial and environmental design work which was essentially thrown into a chemical toilet with that movie, well, it saddens me.

Oblivion, hopefully it's on the plane tomorrow, and I'll watch it and report back to tell you if it sucked more or less.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #18564 on: January 20, 2014, 05:58:17 AM »
I don't think After Earth implied that the Earth was destroyed by an army of Tom Cruises. So Oblivion wins
[close]
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 06:15:43 AM by Rahxephon91 »

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #18565 on: January 20, 2014, 08:01:39 AM »
Masque of Red Death, I must have seen this as a kid but I have no memory of it, or rather memories of small pieces of it.  Excellent movie. I have no idea how Corman convinced AIP to get the money for this, but it's lavish and it shows.  It contained on shocking moment for me where a man is burned alive.  Turns out it's from another Poe story Hop-frog with which I was totally unfamiliar.

Amityville 2 - This film has a rep as being bonkers and it absolutely is.  There's 0 subtlety and it plays like high opera with a weird incest undercurrent.  Def worth a watch if you're a fan of off the wall 80s horror stuff.

Abominable Dr Phibes - Not as good as I recall.  Leans a bit heavily on the camp / humor to get it through the day but Price is very good in this. 

I'm halfway through the Vincent Price Blu Ray set and am really liking what I'm seeing for the most part.  It's a wonderful introduction (or re-introduction) to these films.
Tonya

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18566 on: January 20, 2014, 09:05:24 AM »
Eric P, you need to watch Theater of Blood, if you haven't already. It's got Vincent Price reciting Shakespeare as he kills a bunch of critics that dissed his performances. Utterly amazing movie.
dog

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #18567 on: January 20, 2014, 09:54:38 AM »
I haven't seen that one but it's on the list.  I'm kind of surprised at the amount of Price films I haven't actually seen.
Tonya

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18568 on: January 20, 2014, 10:23:09 AM »
ど助平

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18569 on: January 20, 2014, 01:31:31 PM »
???
dog

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #18570 on: January 20, 2014, 01:46:02 PM »
Batman vs. Superman delayed, looks like we'll get a mediocre disaster instead of the epic disaster we all wanted :(
vin

cool breeze

« Reply #18571 on: January 20, 2014, 02:07:33 PM »
I read the plan is now to have Batman vs Superman in 2016, Justice League in 2017, Superman vs Muhammad Ali in 2018, and the Justice League reboot in 2019

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #18572 on: January 20, 2014, 02:17:39 PM »
I read the plan is now to have Batman vs Superman in 2016, Justice League in 2017, Superman vs Muhammad Ali in 2018, and the Justice League reboot in 2019

2020 :noah
vin

Tasty

« Reply #18573 on: January 20, 2014, 02:33:15 PM »
Batman vs. Superman delayed, looks like we'll get a mediocre disaster instead of the epic disaster we all wanted :(

Who cares about that shitty ass Snyder shit Goyer fuck dick pap shit?

DAMIAN FUCKING WAYNE MOVIE was announced today:

Rahxephon91

« Reply #18574 on: January 20, 2014, 02:57:39 PM »
Meh. As it went on. I disliked the Grant Morison Batman stuff. Also, I've had enough Batman cartoons. Take a break from him.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #18575 on: January 20, 2014, 04:44:52 PM »

Who cares about that shitty ass Snyder shit Goyer fuck dick pap shit?

DAMIAN FUCKING WAYNE MOVIE was announced today:

I hope it has an epilogue with adult Damian Batman.

©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18576 on: January 20, 2014, 04:53:51 PM »
Meh. As it went on. I disliked the Grant Morison Batman stuff. Also, I've had enough Batman cartoons. Take a break from him.

Animated Batman is best Batman.
dog

Tasty

« Reply #18577 on: January 20, 2014, 09:40:57 PM »

I didn't really like Batman Inc (good idea but poor execution and even worse art), but his Batman & Robin run was TITE. I've never actually read Batman & Son, which is what the movie's based on.

Tasty

« Reply #18578 on: January 21, 2014, 05:49:24 PM »
Quote from: NeoGAF Post
Yesterday my hype for this movie was at 100 but today it has gone down near to 0.

Why? well if you buy Justice League War on itunes there are some extras, one of them being an extended sneak peek of the "Son of Batman" movie and apparently they are going to replace Tim Drake and Damian's interactions with Dick Grayson.

(Image removed from quote.)

They said that they wanted to explore how Dick and Damian hated each other and " we hope you want to see Nightwing and Damian fight, because they’re going to fight."
How in the world can someone mess things up so bad? why didn't they just put Tim in the first place? Dick is almost like a surrogate father to Damian when Bruce was "dead".

So yeah, I'm not looking forward to this movie as I was originally, but I'll still give it a shot when it comes out, maybe.

Hype dead

WHY.jpg

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18579 on: January 22, 2014, 02:04:09 AM »
Watched The Heat and Mortal Instruments: City of Bones on the plane today.

The former is a standard buddy cop movie except the two leads are female. It was a lot of fun. I laughed several times. There is probably a mediocre sequel already in the works.

The latter movie dumbfounded me with its gall and uselessness. It was quite likely the laziest and most cliché´movie I've ever seen.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18580 on: January 22, 2014, 02:09:23 AM »
:lol canon
:lol fandom
:lol caring

With DC rebooting and re-rebooting their own titles repeatedly, how can anyone get bent out of shape about canon?

Bebpo

« Reply #18581 on: January 22, 2014, 03:56:22 AM »
You're Next - Well done, suspenseful horror for the first half with some good comedy bits, fun action/comedy for the second half.  I really liked
watching survival girl be all survival kicking ass and turning the tables on the bad guys, but a bunch of times she acted pretty stupid which seemed out of character for her, like letting injured enemies get away to come back at her a later time when she could easily have finished them off.
[close]

And it's pretty funny on the acting side seeing this circle of horror directors they've got going where everyone is starring in everyone's films.  Seeing Joe Swanberg troll Ti West (who is hilarious as the super eccentric art film director) about "do you do commercials?  Because that's the real high art" and stuff was really funny in-joking. 

I dunno, it wasn't amazing or anything, but it was solid watch.  Also made me see that Ti West finished his next film after Innkeepers that's making the film festival tours until it's May 2014 release, The Sacrament.  Reviews seem mixed, but since I really like all his stuff (except The Roost which I still haven't seen yet) I'll definitely check it out.  Need to check out more of Joe Swanberg's directorial films.  I see his latest "Drinking Buddies" is on Netflix and stars Ti West along with others, so I'll have to check that one out.  He made the best segment on V/H/S with the skype horror story.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 04:00:01 AM by Bebpo »

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #18582 on: January 22, 2014, 06:36:01 AM »
I need to watch You're Next at some point.  It's getting lots of praise in the indie horror circles.
Tonya

G The Resurrected

« Reply #18583 on: January 22, 2014, 06:39:33 AM »
Personally I thought it was way too predictable, but it has it's moments. The story, what little there is of one could have been a lot better. The "horror" scenes are good though, even if I was a bit disappointed by the movie.

Can anyone recommend watching Spring Beakers at all?

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #18584 on: January 22, 2014, 07:49:03 AM »
well if they're remaking a specific story I can see getting somewhat bent out of shape, especially as previous adaptations have been fairly faithful
Tonya

G The Resurrected

« Reply #18585 on: January 22, 2014, 08:14:32 AM »
No, it's horrid.

I have taken it off my must watch list. I've replaced it with Once Bitten, cause I was hankering to watch old Jim Carry

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #18586 on: January 22, 2014, 10:24:25 AM »
Best part of You're Next...

"I wanna fuck you here on this bed next to your dead mom."

:gladbron
[close]
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #18587 on: January 22, 2014, 12:32:25 PM »
:lol canon
:lol fandom
:lol caring

With DC rebooting and re-rebooting their own titles repeatedly, how can anyone get bent out of shape about canon?

:lol chronovore

::)

Tasty

« Reply #18588 on: January 22, 2014, 01:17:19 PM »

It's good fun.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #18589 on: January 22, 2014, 01:46:24 PM »
Tarantino throwing a hissy fit because his script leaked :lol

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #18590 on: January 22, 2014, 01:49:32 PM »
oh shit lank?
Drunk

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #18592 on: January 22, 2014, 01:59:02 PM »
Personally I thought it was way too predictable, but it has it's moments. The story, what little there is of one could have been a lot better. The "horror" scenes are good though, even if I was a bit disappointed by the movie.

Can anyone recommend watching Spring Beakers at all?
Spring Breakers is a fucking awesome movie, you just have to know what you're getting into. It's anything but a traditional film, and if you've seen/enjoyed any of Harmony Korine's other films you'll find a way to appreciate it. I can see where people wouldn't like it, Korine's films tend to be really divisive, but I think it's worth it for James Franco's performance alone.
SRY

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #18593 on: January 22, 2014, 02:11:01 PM »
Guess he's pissed because he only gave it to 6 actors and feels betrayed by them

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #18594 on: January 22, 2014, 02:24:22 PM »
Have you seen any of Korine's other films? You should check out "Gummo".
SRY

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #18595 on: January 22, 2014, 02:32:52 PM »
Apparently someone's agent leaked it, not the actors.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18596 on: January 22, 2014, 03:22:00 PM »

Probably gonna have to drive down to Dallas to watch this one, like I did with the first.
dog

Himu

« Reply #18597 on: January 22, 2014, 07:04:21 PM »
Oblivion is dog shit and it's the first movie I walked out of.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #18598 on: January 22, 2014, 07:10:02 PM »

It's good fun.

For a person who hates apple, I'm surprised you liked a movie with an Apple future.

Good design is good design.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #18599 on: January 22, 2014, 07:18:17 PM »
History of Future Folk

Silly and cute